Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano CVT Transmission

Comments

• eleratorelerator Member Posts: 7
    It's not hard to change the fluid; just have a good catch pan & are willing to disconnect one of the transmission lines to drain it (I understand that the newer ones have a drain plug - I don't know if that is true or not). When I checked the fluid, you can't go by the coloer (light gold). The trash is in the bottom of the transmission that you normally can't get to unless you drain the fluid from the lowest point. I've gotten all sorts of 'crap' out of the bottom of the tranny. Not a good thing since it is swirling around inside the case when you're driving. If you don't want to go that route, get a vacuum evacuation pump like they use to change oil on inboard engines on a boat. I change the oil with one of these, and drop the oil pan every 75k miles and clean the gunk out. My dealer's "technician" (i.e., mechanic) recommended a fluid change after I just changed the fluid the day before. It truly is a money making racket! Good luck. My next vehicle will not have a CVT.
  • jess5138jess5138 Member Posts: 7
    My idiot son wrecked my 2003 and to make a long story short I am trying to figure out if it's worth saving. It has around 64 thousand miles on it. Transmission was replaced around 45 thousand. Looks like it needs rear passenger side panel, rear door with window and the works and bumper. Two tires probably new rims. Frame is not bent but light and everything is smashed. I am single female so I don't know much about cars and don't pay much attention to my car but while looking at it I noticed top is rusted. Anybody else have the top rust? Anybody know where I can get cheap parts or do they even exist for Nissan?
  • nissanmurano1nissanmurano1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm glad to hear yours is doing well. As you can see you're one in a million. Apparently, one of the service men at Nissan informed my insurance guy that it's a factory defect. He said that if they tighten the bolt/knot that's connected to the transfer case "just a little bit" it's bound to crack causing a leak and break the transfer case altogether. I took my car out of the dealership (because they were charging me $3900 for it) and sent it to AAMCO. AAMCO said they have fixed a few Nisasn Muranos with the same exact issue. A horizontal crack somewhere causing a leak in the fluid and evetually blows up the transfer case. Incidentally, there's another 2004 Nissan Murano in their shop with the exact same problem when I took mine in. It's so sad that I ended up paying $3000 for it and decided to trade it in 1 week after. I saw a few websites with the same complaints and having the transfer case blow up a few months after getting fixed. I just couldn't take the risk. I bought the car brand new for 34K and took it for servicing regularly using synthetic oil and used the highest grade of gas all through out. It's my first Nissan and I'm so disappointed with their service and durability of their car. I used to own Honda/Acura cars and they lasted forever. I currently have a BMW and I'm so happy with their service and competetive price. People are much nicer and so far honest. I'm never buying a Nissan. By the way, the Midcity Nissan in Chicago is where I brought my car initially. Stay away from that place. They said 3 other things that's wrong with my car like the motor of my rear windshield wiper when it's perfectly working. Dishonest service men. I should've known because they had poor rating.

Goodluck.
    I read a few on the internet about it too so as soon as I got mine fixed I traded it in. You will notice that there's not a lot of old Nissan Muranos out there...that's the reason why. Muranos are notoriously known for poor durability. A mechanic told me this...and it makes sense. It doesn't hold its value too so I was disappointed when I traded my Murano. It's because there was so many recalls on it.

Good luck.
    I'm so sorry to hear you have to go through that stress. I had the same issue and paid $34K. It's not worth the money. I went for servicing on the dot, used synthetic oil only (since brand new) and used the best grade of gas thinking it would last longer. My check engine light didn't lit up so I had no clue it was leaking transmission fluid at all. Another disappointing thing is Muranos didn't hold its value compared to other import cars due to this issue and tons of recalls. I used to own a Honda/Acura and they lasted forever. Unfortunately, I let go of mine and it's one of the best things that I ever did. There's a lot of dealerships that's offering low APR's if you have good credit.

Good luck. I feel your pain.
  • eleratorelerator Member Posts: 7
    Jess - the vehicle is totaled. Just a bulb for the headlight is over $200. The entire headlight assembly is over a grand. Rear tailgate, etc. that you've mentioned is, well - not cheap. Then there's new paint, etc. If you have a place to keep the car, put your son to work dismantling it and selling the parts through ebay. You'll get more than the 3500 dollars the car is worth. You can get more than that for the transmission (maybe).
  • tucentstucents Member Posts: 2
    I am 100% with you my friend. My 2003 Murano has been a problem from the start, and all my options to get rid of the car, or maintain it, leave me in serious debt. I HAVE, LITERALLY, PAID MORE IN FIXING THE CAR THAN I HAVE PAID ON THE CAR NOTE!!!! I HAVE RECORDS TO SHOW IT!

There are inherent issues with the CVT, and Nissan needs to acknowledge and do right by the people that invest hard earned money into their cars!

Whatever the plan is, I am with it. Perhaps an OCCUPY NISSAN rally?
  • tucentstucents Member Posts: 2
    Your story and mine are EXACTLY IDENTICAL (even down to the car problems, but i've had more problems with my car than what you have listed). I'm frankly at a loss for words on what to do with this vehicle. I will not put my 14 month old's life in jeopardy, and if i have to take a loss on this car i will. But it burns me to see Nissan ads for new murano's when they wont do the right thing for those of us that purchased the 1st generation of the model, and made it look so good locally enough to generate a buzz.

Let us know what developments you have on your end, as i will with mine.
  • turtleownerturtleowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 and started having symptoms of my transsmission going at 105K miles. When I would slow down, the car would lurch forward. Took it in and they said there was nothing wrong or that the sympton wouldn't repeat for them. I now have 118K miles. Coming off of a stop, the cars lugs as it seems like it's starting out in 3rd gear. The lurching still happens intermittenly. I brought the car in and both the mechanic and the service manager took the car out for a test drive and claim they are not experiencing the same problem. I drove the car away and immediately felt the problem happening. Guess they are gunning it off of a start and not a slower take off. It's so obvious, I can't see how they can say this. I'm getting closer to the extended warranty of 120K and am wondering if I should trade it in for a vehicle that does't have the CVT. Read a bunch of the earlier posts and seems there are issues. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
  • salliersallier Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2011
    Have enjoyed '03 Murano SE for handling & hauling (also like style) but want new(er) car. Would
    like another Murano but am concerned about CVT (have NOT liked the periodic push peddle almost
    to floor, then it lurches forward) & now learning about "transfer"? case. Any specific suggestions of other makes/models and why suggested would be extremely helpful and ever-so-much appreciated!! (Does anybody know if an update for Murano is due in 2013?)
  • ladyt618ladyt618 Member Posts: 1
    OMG, I had a 1992 Toyota Camry for 15 years, no problems. Got into an accident and the front got all messed up, so instead of fixing I want to upgrade to a newer car..lol... was looking into and fell in love with the Murano, but reading all these stories, I am crushed and scared.... I am suppose to test drive one today, the guy didnt show up... I was hoping to have the car in my hands by this week but now I am crushed.. its a 2004.. any help? any suggestions?....
  • gordeauxgordeaux Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Seems like everyone that has had problems with the Murano is a poster in this forum. I am on my second one, a 2011 LE after trading in my '04 SE with over 100k miles. During that time the only trouble I had was a recall on the alternator. Yep, 100k miles and no problems, even had the original brake pads. If something ever happened to this one I would buy another in a heartbeat.
  • vanessaesqvanessaesq Member Posts: 10
    Love It:

It's good that you had no problems with your '04 Murano, but you are in the minority. My transmission in my '03 had to be completely replaced. Nissan was aware that there was a faulty valve body in the '03's and '04's; many people were affected, some were not. I would hope that by 2011, they rectified the transmission problem, but it definitely existed in the earliest models.
  • shoveit2003shoveit2003 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 Nissan Murano. I have had so many problems with it. It is stressing me out!!!! Someone please HELP! What can I do. It stalled on me the other day and feels like it could stall any time now. What should I do? What is this about the 120,000 mile free transmission change?

Please reply with something informative.

Thanks!

:mad:
  • kevscottkevscott Member Posts: 3
    Dear Tucents,

Please find attached a link to Nissan's warrenty extension. Do not worry that it has expired. I just got a reimbursement for a transmission that I had to replace in 2007. Don't be "mad", get them to fix your transmission and sell the car ASAP! I say this because I am on my second transmission and it is going out after only 70K. Good luck to you.

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php
  • larry666larry666 Member Posts: 4
    I agree, just got rid of my '03 Murano last weekend. They gave me $8k with 108,000 miles on it. Nissan replaced the trans at 103k and I was waiting to find the best deal. I feel so good now after reading so many horror stories on this blog.
    Their warranty is 120k, but I wouldn't wait. If all the other cars dealers find out about the problems on the Murano, you won't get squat for it! Good luck!
  • barondrvrbarondrvr Member Posts: 1
    so far I have 75,000 on my 07 bought used in 09. No trouble whatsoever. I was advised by so mechanics I know to change CVT fluid at dealer every 30,000. Hope my luck keeps holding out as I just bought an 09 Cube to add to my stable
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    A friend just bought an 07' SL AWD Murano w/ 50,000 miles. Do you know anything about the 07' reliability of the CVT / transfer case issues?
  • kiwigalkiwigal Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 and they extended the warranty on the transmission to 120K... check w/dealer and make sure the warranty on the CVT/Transfer Case is at least 100K; I had mine go on me twice but the second time was because a private mechanic did something wrong... very expensive..
  • saubosaubo Member Posts: 2
    ive had my 2007 murano from new never had any thing go wrong as long as you have service done at right time inc CVT fluid should be fine even had mine remapped in 2009 and its running 320 bhp
    Have heard of so many Murano issues with the CVT/transfer case-maybe the problem was fixed by the 07 models? Maybe changing the special transmission fluid every 30,000 miles might be the issue.
  • nononissannononissan Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2007 Nissan Murano with 48,000 miles on in 7 months ago. Today we are paying just under $5,000.00 to fix the transfer case and rear differential. We previously paid $1500.00 2 months ago to replace severely worn tires and tie rods. Get this...we were 538 miles over the 60,000 mile warranty and Nissan will DO NOTHING to help us. We went through Nissan consumer affairs and requested help going through their regional manager process and was told no "it was over the warranty" Very cold, arrogant and spoke to us like they were robots reading from a manual. Refused to let us talk to any upper management and said that was the final decision. We have been buying vehicles for 30 years and have never put this kind of money in a vehicle, much less one with just over 60,000 miles on it! Buy a Ford!!! Only advice we had gotten was to personally mail the President of Nissan and occasionally they will help out.
    I know someone who just bought the same vehicle-'07 Murano SL AWD w/50,000 miles for $21,000. Now I know why the car was traded in the first place. I have carefully read through the posts about the Murano and virtually everyone writes about the sky high cost of repair for the CVT-transfer case issue which seems to manifest itself around the 50 to 60 thousand mile mark.

I'm definately leasing my next vehicle-- always under warranty- they lose 50% of the market value in 3 years anyway-and paying up to $6500 in repairs for 10,000 miles of use PLUS the cost of the vehicle is really crazy!

The common denominator about the Murano seems to be that everyone likes the interior design/luxury/driveability but this is overshadowed by the CVT /front end repair issues.
  • unhappy34unhappy34 Member Posts: 8
    I agree totally. I got rid of a '03 Murano in 2010 and bought a Cadillac SRX.
    The interior design/luxury/driveablity in the Murano were superior to the SRX but not having to shell out money for the CVT/front end repair issues is worth the compromise. I know there are Murano owners out there who have not had problems. But once you experience the CVT and front end repair issues I know I will never buy another Nissan.
  • jackie_murano_jackie_murano_ Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 Murano SL AWD 93,000 miles on it. 2 weeks after having it the CVT Transfer case went out on it. now I dont know what to do, I keep hearing about the Warranty on it good till 120k miles how does that work ? I own a Nissan Quest 2002 and so far Ive had no problems with it thats why I decided to go again with another Nissan , big mistake.I would appreciate any suggestions or responses to my question. :mad:
    Some posters on this forum claim that that the CVT fluid never needs changing. Others write that the CVT needs servicing every 20 or 30 thousand miles. Still other state that it is DURING the servicing that problems occur. Some shops over tighten the bolts which leads to transfer case leakage and all kinds of internal issues. I would probably not buy a Murano after reading and researching these and other posts in this forum.

You didn't mention where the Murano was purchased. Many states have a 30 day warranty on used cars over a certain dollar amount and under certain mileage limits when bought from a licensed dealer.
  • curiousbuyer12curiousbuyer12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All -

I am in the market to buy a 2010 Murano and have become quite skeptical after reading the reviews for the CVT issues.

That being said, I want to share a letter that I found online from Nissan. For those who have shelled out thousands of dollars of repairs in the past seven years, I hope you saved your receipts. I have copied and pasted the message below. Good luck!

Nissan Extends Powertrain Warranty Coverage on CVT Transmission
    November 20, 2009 by Malcolm Hogan
    Filed under Automotive, News, Nissan
    Leave a comment
    inShare.0

We know a friend who owns a Nissan Murano equipped with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and before his purchase he was always a little concerned about the reliability of such a transmission. Several other vehicle manufacturers have made use of the CVT transmission in many of their models including most of the new hybrid vehicles you see on the road today. To make all of the customers of Nissans equipped with CVT transmissions, Nissan has decided to double the powertrain warranty coverage on the CVT transmission. That means anyone that owns a Nissan equipped with CVT transmission gets a new extended powertrain warranty for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT transmission repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissan vehicles.

The current powertrain warranty covering other components in CVT equipped Nissans remains at the original 5 years/60,000 miles. The owners who had to dish out money for CVT related repairs or replacements will receive a reimbursement.

CVT Program Details

[source: Nissan]

Dear Nissan Owner:

On behalf of everyone at Nissan, we would like to thank you for choosing to drive a Nissan. One of the many technologically-advanced features of your vehicle is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), an innovative transmission that offers smooth, seamless shifting, while tailoring the vehicle’s output to your driving style.

While Nissan is proud to offer this technology on many of our models, a small percentage of owners of early models equipped with CVTs have expressed concerns about the cost of repair of their transmissions after the warranty expires. We take these comments about the cost of vehicle ownership seriously. We strive to provide an exceptional ownership experience and are implementing a thorough Customer Satisfaction Program to address this topic.

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This extension is effective immediately and requires no action on your part. The remainder of your powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles, and your basic warranty coverage also remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply. This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle.

Second, Nissan will reimburse customers who have previously paid to repair or replace their CVT, if the repairs would have been covered within the new extended warranty period. Even if you no longer own your Nissan we will reimburse you for past CVT repairs that would have been covered under this extension of the warranty.

Further, in the unlikely event that your vehicle’s transmission should need repair beyond the extended warranty period we are working to decrease the cost of repair and have already reduced the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of a replacement CVT. In addition, we continuously strive to enhance our products, and have made ongoing improvements to our CVTs over the years.

Nissan is taking these actions to demonstrate our confidence in the CVT technology and to show our commitment to stand behind our products.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

If you have previously paid for repairs to your CVT within the time and mileage limits of this new extended warranty, we ask that you download the Reimbursement Claim Form and follow the instructions on the site. If you have additional questions, please contact the Nissan CVT Customer Assistance Center at 888-388-0318. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting the Reimbursement Claim Form is July 31, 2010.

The extended warranty coverage for CVT repair or replacement is effective immediately.

If you seek coverage for a repair under this extended warranty you will need to bring your vehicle to an authorized Nissan dealer. The factory-trained technical staff at the Nissan dealer will have the diagnostic tools and knowledge to provide you with the appropriate service and submit your warranty claim. If you have additional questions regarding this program, contact the Nissan CVT Customer Assistance Center at 888-388-0318 for assistance.

At Nissan we and our dealers work daily to deliver an outstanding ownership experience that will earn your confidence and trust. We are committed to doing the right thing for our customers and look forward to a long relationship that you find satisfying and rewarding. Thank you for choosing Nissan.

Sincerely,

Kevin Martin
    Vice President Total Customer Satisfaction
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    If you didn't have the trans serviced at 60,000 miles, forget about Nissan covering the repair.
  • vanessaesqvanessaesq Member Posts: 10
    I did not have my transmission serviced at 60,000 miles. My car started exhibiting signs of this problem at around 75,000 miles. The faulty valve body was diagnosed by Nissan. When the warranty was extended, I was within the ten years and took it the next week and Nissan replaced the entire transmission under the warranty, no questions asked. I have never had another problem with it since.
  • shameonnissanshameonnissan Member Posts: 1
    ive owened several nissans, a 1995 maxima, a 1998 maxima se, and I've recently purchased a 2011 murano s awd . I made my purchase thinking that I would have my murano for many years to come. But after reading some of the post about the faulty cvt transmission, and the transmission case horrors I feel like ive been played. My murano only has about 15k mis. on it so i guess i still have a little time before the nightmares begin, atleast form what ive read. What a let down. Why hasnt nissan recalled this transmission. Atleast when toyota had troubles with some of their vehicles they attempted to right their wrongs by offering extended warrenties. i've lost faith in nissan with their shananigans. I cant afford to take chances with nissan, ive called their warrenty division and had them to run the vin on my vehicle, but they said ther hasnt been any trouble reports.. i shouldve guesed it, its way too soon, i smell a trade coming with this murano. oh and nissan, i cant respect they way you ingnored the issue for so long and only after tons of complaints you agreed to extend the warranty on vehicalsaffected, but why havent you extended the warrenty period on all nissans, i have a friend he purchased a used 08 maxima w/60k on it and he started having trouble w/ the transmission and he traded it for an avalon... shame on you nissan...
  • kencolakencola Member Posts: 1
    Mine 2007 Murano S model having the same problem at around 55K miles. I had the extended warranty and Nissan took three days to fixed it and provide me free rental car. They told me they had the transmission replaced and now running good for almost four months now.

There must be some kind of virus within every transmission they made and who knows??? Just kidding ^)^
    Hi,

I am dealing with my CVT transmission issues also. You need to call Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1-800-647-7261. They are only available during the week 8-5. Make sure that you tell them the problem, write your case # down and the name of the person you spoke with and their extension. Also put in a report to you local state consumer affairs office and complain and note that case number and the investigator.

Next step is the get a lawyer and take Nissan to court. If it has to be done then it has to be done.

For me it has been wasting my time having to deal with all the Murano issues. If I have to spend time to try to fix the car and it does not get fixed then worth the time to take them to court and show you are serious to get your car fixed.

Nissan knows that they need to take care of the issues with this car. If they deny that then they have big lawsuits coming their way.

Those are my suggestions. I hope that helps. Maybe getting your friends not to buy Nissan anymore helps too.

:sick:
  • halwghalwg Member Posts: 2
    The CVT was redesigned after 2010, that's why the newer models aren't covered by the extended warranty. You shouldn't have a problem, so you shouldn't be worrying about it.
  • michelle80michelle80 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2003 MURANO WITH A 150,000 MILES ON IT I NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT UNTIL NOW I WENT TO THE DEALER AND NOW THEY ARE TELLING ME I NEED TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION ITS LIKE 5,000 WITH PARTS AND LABOR I THINK THAT IS A BUNCH OF CRAP NISSIAN AS KNOWN ABOUT TIS PROBLEM FROM THE START THEY SHOULD RECALL THEM OR REPLACE IT I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSIAN.
  • jm1951jm1951 Member Posts: 1
    I Have a Nissan Murano with 55000 miles, In the past days I was to the nissan reparation center because something is wrong with the transmission, they said now that the transmission must be replaced but the warranty is lost because was detected incorrect fuid in transmission, I did the transmission service at 30000 miles in Firestone (with CVT fluid not nissan brand that the fluid must be green instead of red !!!), this is crazy at all !!!!.
  • jess5138jess5138 Member Posts: 7
    Yep sounds familar. They did the same thing to me and my saving grace was that I had just had an accident with the vehicle and it was determined that the garage insurance had it towed to had done it. All maintenance and upkeep prior to accident had previously been done by Nissan dealer. They did replace mine.
  • 17inches17inches Member Posts: 5
    I emailed a service representative with the question on whether Nissan recommended or requested transmission fluid change. His reply was that Nissan *DID NOT* request the service, which is reflected in the user's manual, but many of his customers had the service done every 30K or 60K.

He said the CVT can only be drained, but not flushed.

My Murano has 64K and I can sense some transmission roughness in low speeds between 1500 and 2500 RPM, so that I am considering the service. He tells me it costs $120 + taxes, which is sensible. I am however worried about the overtightening of bolts, but it is a Nissan shop and I still have a couple of years worth of warranty in the transmission.
  • kcjim888kcjim888 Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    On one of the forums there was listed a test that can be ran on the fluid. The test is part of a suite of tests called "ConsultII" that the Nissan dealer can perform. This test is to find the number of particulates in the transmission fluid. I am coming up to my 54000 mile mark on our 2007 Murano. We will not be changing the fluid unless the test is done and the particulate count is over the limit. Just a thought or direction to consider with the expense of the fluid change and that the manual does not call for a fluid change.
    Addendum. I would get the quote in writing for the $120 tranny fluid change. The Nissan approved fluid is very expense and that quote sounds low.
  • linzz2112linzz2112 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to write a note to say Thank You for all the helpful info on this site! We thought we were going to have to take a 5-$6.00 dollar loss due to bad transmission on 2004 Murano(,Avg selling price now $10,000-$12,000, bad transmission drops it to $5,000, if your lucky ). After some time, decided to Google it (For heck of it) and found this site with the info on the extended warranty on the 2004 CVT trans. We were just 600 miles shy of the 120,00 ! Just got back from dealer..they are replacing the entire transmission, head to toe, at No cost! Also did the 5 point safety check, only came back with minor "failed" (Air filters etc. ). I hope this post may also help others, and that they really are backing this CVT Transmission warranty up!
    ...We also had oil leak,but they said that was also caused by same. Thanks so much again, and sorry also to those with their bad experiences.
  • mleydenmleyden Member Posts: 2
    First I am so thank ful for this board, although I wish I would have sold the car before hitting 75,000 you saved me thousands when my car just died on me. Sure enough is was the CVT and I had to hound Nissan to replace. I could have been killed! I had just gotten off the highway.
    After being replaced I noticed steering is off! The dealer says that's normal! So I took it to another dealer, guess what, needs $3200,00 power steering which was probably damaged when they removed and replaced trans, but can't prove it.
    My husband has contacted Nissan hadquarters to try and get this resolved.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    Help!!
    My steering was completely messed up after I had to have my car done also. A friend did it for me and he dropped the engine; the dealers don't have to do that but the dealer actually adjusted it - he said the steering column was actually "bent" !!! The mechanic was a gem and rotated it or something and it has been fine since... good luck..
    Let's sue Nissan!!
    edited November 2012
    Next step sue Nissan! There are so many things wrong with the Nissan Murano car they need to recall it.
    Thank you for your post. Please keep writing your problems as we all need to gather the evidence and sue Nissan. Thanks.
  • raven40raven40 Member Posts: 1
    Am considering buying a new 2012 Murano SV....debating between AWD or FWD. Would appreciate hearing about experiences with the 2011 or 2012 AWD and FWD models. Do you recommend I stay away from AWD because of the Transfer Case/CVT issues?
    Thanks much.
  • kcjim888kcjim888 Member Posts: 6
    The CVT is in both models - so if that is a deal breaker - then either way you are stuck. For each person talking about issues, there are corresponding folks praising this vehicle. There is a strong warranty, due in large part from folks complaining about the transmission, so if you are concerned about coverage, then this should answer that question. We bought a 2007 used and now have 58k on it. No issues, but we did get the extended warranty in part due to CVT concerns. Buy what you like and note that many manufacturers are moving to CVT to increase mileage, so the units only get better in time. All new Nissans have this as the sole choice of automatics, so if this is a problem - you need to look elsewhere for transportation - or shift to a manual Nissan.
  • ihatenissanihatenissan Member Posts: 10
    Dear curious buyer, this is for the transmission only. Not included in the warranty is the costly replacement of the transfer case ($4,000 to $5,000). I submitted all my receipts etc... for this repair and I was contacted my Nissan and told that the transfer case was not part of the new extended transmission replacement warranty.

It is a shame I loved our Murano, the drive, comfortable. Did not love the repair bill at 65,000 miles.

They did issue an action bulletin for the following year to make adjustments to the transfer case. It's a shame. I should know better then to purchase a vehicle the first year it is made.
    I was very excited when I got the letter about the transmission warranty being extended to 100K and that you could get reimbursed if you could show receipts if you had had to repair yours BUT then I realized what I repaired TWICE! on my 2006 Murano was the transfer case assembly so I was very upset. First time I had a "friend mechanic" do it because it was going to be so expensive I thought to have done at a shop with $85/hour labor rates but it only went well for 6 months later then literally fell apart inside and so I had my fabulous mechanics (Oceanworks, Berkeley, CA) do it the second time and they were able to replace the transfer case with a refurbished one from dealer and so far so good... mine went out around 60K the first time also... there should have been an extended warranty on the transfer case also - I have heard of heaps of people having trouble with that
  • cott415cott415 Member Posts: 2
    It's a defective sensor. They were recalled. I had taken my '09 Murano in on 5 separate occasions during the std. warranty period - they'd fill it up w/ air and give me the standard "tires contract/expand when it gets hot/cold speech" and send me on my way. Brought the car back for the 5th time, now the car was out of warranty - and they told me the sensor was corroded and it would cost me $200. I told them to stick their assessment up their a** and I'd be back w/ my documentation. They fixed it. And apologized.
  • markw5markw5 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 CVT went out in a subtle way at 55K miles. Drove fine. The incessant whining noise from the front of the car that increased with vehicle speed was diagnosed as a bad tranny. No questions asked immediate replacement that took nearly two weeks to order and install. Free loaner made it tolerable and zero cost made it sweet. I wonder how long this new one will last? I wonder if they gave me a new or rebuilt tranny? I wonder after all these years why Nissan cant get it right.

I too had motor mount issues also covered under warranty. I still like the ride and comfort but it is a car with some obvious issues. I am not sure how long to hold it, I have warranty coverage for some time to come.

Only advice: change trans and diff fluids regularly at the dealer and keep the records.