Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano CVT Transmission

18910111214»

Comments

• jayhawk70jayhawk70 Member Posts: 56
    just passed 90,000 miles on our 2009 Murano SL AWD purchased late in 2008 after comparing several crossover/SUVs like the Lexus 350, Honda/Acura SUVs, Subaru SUVs and the new (at the time) Ford Edge. Purchased the Murano over the Lexus and others because of better technology and value, and because the wife liked it best for reasons I've never figured out. (I think it was the powered liftgate that beeps letting everyone else in the grocery store parking lot that she has one of THOSE!!! ..:-)

Still running perfectly with not a single problem with the CVT, or the Transfer Case, or any other component of the vehicle, even though we have had it on long highway trips on I5 in 100+ degree temperatures or freezing snow and ice at Lake Tahoe, plus lots of suburb/city traffic mileage and skiing trips in the Sierras. Also have used it for towing trailers (moving kids furniture to new apartments/etc). I love the CVT, even though I've been a dedicated manual shift driver for several decades. I especially like how smoothly it adjusts on steep grades in the mountains where the automatic shift transmission on our previous minivan would "hunt" for the right gear. And the AWD has been great for bypassing CalTrans Chain Control and for actual use on snow packed roads in the mountains.

I know a few folks have had problems with the CVT, but my experience has been great. Anyone purchasing a new or used vehicle should rely on either Consumer Reports or JD Powers reliablilty statistics, rather than ad hoc comments on message boards to determine the reliability of a vehicle. Both Consumer Reports and JD Powers, at the time I purchased the Murano, showed the drivetrain reliability was average to above average for the Murano.
    I think now (though I haven't looked at it for a year or two) both show the 2007 and earlier Muranos as only "average" reliability for drivetrain/transmission (which is pretty good these days compared to "average" transmission reliability of a decade or more ago) and above average for 2009 and newer models (there was no 2008 model year, the 2009s were introduced in early 2008).

Like my last two primary family cars (a 1996 Dodge Minivan and a 1989 Nissan Maxima) I expect this Murano to last for well over 200,000 miles or more.

I will say my negative experiences have all been with the Service Department of the Nissan dealer I purchased the car from. They really try to upsell every scheduled maintenance, even one time claiming they did not know what the factory recommended service was (that is in the Warranty/Maintenance book that came with the car) and insisted only on presenting their $700 "premium service" for the 30,000 mile service interval (when the factory service really only called for an oil/filter change and a bunch of inspections). Watch out for those guys and insist on only the service called for in the maintenance booklet. I've never done anything but the minimum maintenance schedules on any of my cars, including the Dodge minivan that was still running great at 240,000 miles when I sold it, or the Maxima that had 220,000 miles when I sold it. The Service department at a dealership is a key profit center for a dealership, and makes that profit by selling services that the manufacturer does not require to maintain the warranty.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2013
    Watch out for those guys and insist on only the service called for in the maintenance booklet.

Please visit Dealer Ratings and Reviews, drill down to your Murano dealer and write up a service review.

Dealers hire reputation management companies and employ people on staff who read reviews and many dealers actually try to improve how they do business once their customers clue them in.

Thanks!
  • cbin6381cbin6381 Member Posts: 2
    Received estimate on a valve body issue that Nissan has known about since 2006 ($2050). Was told that may not fix the issue. Transmission replacement may be needed ($5000+). I WILL NOT pay $2050 for a chance at fixing an issue they have known about for several years. Nissan Corp will not assist with the repair because it is out of warranty (by ~3400) and because of the age of the vehicle. Issue: I had been taking the car to the dealer for ~ a year and the issue was just diagnosed. The vehicle was under warranty when the issue began. What difference does it make how old the vehicle is? STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCTS! This "WAS" my 2nd Nissan. There will not be a 3rd. 1st was a Pulsar. I got 17 years & 217,000 miles out of it. Was hoping for 20 years & at least 250,000 miles out of this one since I paid a lot more. I will be contacting every organization in hopes that Nissan will be forced to recall all vehicles. Unhappy Nissan owner!
  • shoveit2003shoveit2003 Member Posts: 7
    They knew about it when they saw your car before. They just didn't tell you. The same problem I have had. Please post what you find here and share. They need to recall and fix all the problems.
  • cryl8rcryl8r Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon:

This is the exact problem I have with my 2004 Murano. You mentioned the pressure sensor on or in the CVT. Was it expensive either way? Can you tell me who verified that is was the pressure sensor causing the problem, a very dangerous problem I might add.

Thanks...
  • cbin6381cbin6381 Member Posts: 2
    I posted a message on the Nissan Corp Facebook page letting them know how unhappy I am. When the transmission finally quits, I have already decided my new car will not be another Nissan.
  • jetwrenchjetwrench Member Posts: 10
    I thought I did my due diligence before buying an 03' Muro in 2009 w/ 71k on it. I later discovered about the premature CVT failures. I called Nissan NA to ask about recalls that may not have been done to the car. They ran down a list of recalls that were done, premature Alternator failure, Seatbelt jams, Fuel tank puncture protectors(installed with cheap plastic clip that break & leave them flapping under car), & OBTW, that the CVT had been replaced at 17k miles!! I felt sick! Was it going to fail again? Is it a ticking time bomb?

NOTE: The Part Number on the CVT ends in (RE) if it has been replaced if you are wondering if yours may have been.

I kept the car after reading about Nissan doubling the CVT warranty on this forum!(thank you Edmunds!!) I called Nissan & gave them my VIN# & had my warranty letter sent to me.

This car was plagued with issues I've read about on this & others forums;

Visors broke & flop down in your face. $300+ea. to replace(no recall).
    Windows mysteriously go down w/o touching the remote(no recall).
    HVAC system had a mind of its own, would do uncommanded strange things all by itself!(no recall).
    NEVER was able to program the garage door opener feature.
    Fuel door solenoid failed, had to damage the door to get it open to put gas in the car!(no recall).

I recently unloaded this POS @ 119,000k miles!! Goodbye & good riddance!!
    My first & last Nissan!!!
    I recently bought a 2012 Chevy Captiva(formally Saturn Vue) from Hertz Rent-to-Buy & LOVE IT!!!

I was EXTREMELY lucky that I didn't have to shell out thousands of dollars as many people did.
    My heart goes out to all of the CVT & Transaxle early failure VICTIMS that Nissan has harmed financially & emotionally!!
  • murano4murano4 Member Posts: 1
    please somebody help me.
    i have been walking for a month because my 2003 Murano 2WD transmission is broken. i can't find this transmission here in Mongolia.
    how can i find used transmission?
  • chiki1chiki1 Member Posts: 2
    where did you take it? I might be having the same problem in my 04 murano,55k+.from san jose,ca.thanks
  • chiki1chiki1 Member Posts: 2
    I think I have the same problem cvt? month ago star to hear this cracking noise left front side and wonder if it is the cvt> called the # showed on the letter (same u got) told me to check an air hose also that is recalled I guess and take to dealer..'ll see what happen......any advise? thanks from san jose,ca...04 murano,55k.
  • 17inches17inches Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2013
    I had a creaking noise coming from the front on my 04 @65K miles. It turned out to be a simple lubrication issue between the axles and the transmission. It was a Us$150 service at the dealer. It probably would have been less at an independent mechanic, but whenever I suspect a transmission problem I take it to the dealer to avoid expiration of the extended 10 yr / 100K warranty.
  • sasadsasad Member Posts: 2
    i replaced my cvt tranny in 2003 murano awd car shifts in to all gears and works fine except it leaks from bellhousing was told to replace input shaft seal and o ring seal which i did and have the same problem it only leaks when its running anyone have any ideas
  • sasadsasad Member Posts: 2
    is there a particular measurement for where the input shaft seal sits on the shaft is it butted all the way to rear or is it flush any specifications
  • miggiemiggie Member Posts: 1
    the problems with the cvt transmissions were solved with the 2010 model year I had a 2009 murano sl and Nissan was aware of the problem and they extended the factory warranty to 125000 miles but I never had any problems with mine, I now own a 2011 sl I drive the hell out of it and runs great feels more like sports car than an suv. I have owned Nissan's since they were Datsun. so I am a real Nissan fan and if my murano had any issues I would be the first one on here telling you about it.
  • matersboysmatersboys Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Murano and am having trouble with the transmission as well. Just discovered Nissan extended the drivetrain warranty on 2002 - 2009 Muranos to 120K miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. This is due to all the complaints from Nissan owners. Check out http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.hp

You don't have to be the original owner to take advantage of this! I would hope this covers all expenses due to transmission failure. Good luck!
  • jdh1983jdh1983 Member Posts: 1
    My advice if you have access, is to try ebay I have seen several with different amounts of milage on them. Good luck
  • tlockwoodtlockwood Member Posts: 1
    I was recently having problems with the CVT transmission in my 2006 Nissan Murano. While in heavy traffic it started to feel like I had my foot on the brake and on the gas at the same time. I brought it to the dealer and they told me the transmission needed to be replaced. The dealer informed me the transmission was covered under the extended warranty, 120k or 10 years. The dealer gave me a rental car free of charge while my car was in the dealership. 5 days later the transmission was replaced free of charge. My Murano had 74,000 miles and had the transmission fluid changed once at 30,000 miles.
  • mleydenmleyden Member Posts: 2
    Must have a reputable dealer... Not like mine in St Charles Il They tried to deny even knowing about a problem and threatened me no good service if not really under warranty. Nice... Glad you got it fixed hopefully they did not ruin other parts while doing the replacement .... Just say'in
  • mimilapointemimilapointe Member Posts: 1
    Were there any resolutions with this?
    I have the same problem (I think) with my 2004 Murano...
  • stealth878stealth878 Member Posts: 5
    I know so many Murano owners had issues with their CVT. It is unfortunate in many respects. But, I had an 07 Murano SL with 71,000 miles on it. I just traded it in for a new Murano. I never had any CVT issues in with 07 Murano. In fact, the only issues outside of wear and tear I had was a cylinder misfire. Some may say I am part of a lucky few. I realize that many claim CVT issues between 60,000 and 90,000 miles.

I loved my 07 Murano. I like the new one even better. I wish you all the best. :)
  • dunshdunsh Member Posts: 1

I have a 2009 Murano and was going to change the tranny fluid. In all the messages no one mentions a filter. Is there one? thanx

• rowltydrowltyd Member Posts: 3
    My son has a 2005 Nissan Murano SL. First, about a month ago, we had to replace a knock-out sensor. Then, 2 days ago, the battery. Then yesterday, the thing started making a noise. Today, it wouldn't go into reverse, wouldn't even rev up when the gas pedal was engaged. It would still go into drive and park, just not reverse. We let it sit for about an hour, and it went into reverse with no problem, and he pulled away. He called me 10 minutes later to tell me it wouldn't move now, while in Drive. He pulled it to the side of the road, and his dad towed him home. His car, of course, has 138,000 miles on it, so Nissan is not going to do anything, I'm sure. I've never owned a Nissan (this is the 1st), and no vehicle I've ever owned has ever had this much major trouble, with this little of miles on it. This will be my first and last Nissan purchase. If there's a class action suit regarding the safety and reliability of the transmission in these things, I want in.
  • dushashdushash Member Posts: 16
    After researching Nissan Murano CVT topic heavily (and not only in English net) - I came to a only true conclusion of why older models CVT had problems. Overheating! Nothing else. I mean yes, it's still preferable to change CVT fluid more often than it says in manual, but problem #1 is HEAT. In older models CVT was overheating if owner did a lot of stop and go traffic (or towing, winter or mud off-road slippage with wheels, often hard accelerations etc). There are some elements in CVT that when overheated will expand and start destroying grooves causing metal wear and tear and general degradation of CVT. To prevent this in older models for some market - additional CVT fluid radiator was implemented (behind the front left fog light). On North American market this was not done and this is the main reason we see lots of previous generation Muranos that have CVT issues. In new 3rd generation (and even presumably starting from 2010) cooling of CVT fluid was changed and rerouted via main radiator with improved diameter hoses and in addition CVT got new software and now it has a temperature sensitive algorithm that will prevent overheating by going into default mode (during emergency overheating situations). Still for those who tows - I would highly recommend doing additional CVT radiator for extra cooling.

P.S. Another issue with Nissan CVT (and other manufacturers too) is that Nissan is not releasing parts for CVT repair for aftermarket, trying to hold monopoly for CVT repair at dealers. That results in increased prices for any CVT repair. Having to pay $5K for CVT job is ridiculous, especially when usual AT (Automatic Transmission) repair is around $1.5K (because they have parts in aftermarket). If Nissan will release CVT parts to aftermarket finally - that would make a CVT problems a non-issue - as many of us would gladly just repair CVT for $1,5K down the road after 100,000K miles if need be. Instead, what we see now is that many potential customers are avoiding CVT cars just because of that issue - they are scared that at some point they will have to go and pay large sum to a dealer and there will be no alternative for that. This has to be changed Nissan. Hope you are reading.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    edited July 2015
    Parts are readily available to aftermarket shops to rebuild these CVT's. The problem is finding a shop that has put themselves through the learning curve to deal with these.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What's the deal with that anyway? Isn't one of the selling points of a CVT is that is has fewer moving parts and thus should be more reliable. It's not like they haven't been around (in cars) since the late 90s.