Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Engine Swaps

kin0689kin0689 Member Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
I plan to do the above swap soon. Anyone have any info for me? Mounts, harness compatibility, flywheel etc etc?

Comments

• Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You may want to stop by the Engine Swaps (Performance Swaps) discussion in our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification Board for more help and insight into engine swaps.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    You must LOVE the truck, and HATE the engine, to put yourself through that much grief. Assuming that you want to drive it on the street when you're finished, you'd have a TON of computer and pollution related issues to deal with. This would be considering that GM currently doesn't have an I-6 to get the engine and computer you could work with.

If you're bent on doing something like this, I would think a GenIII V-8 swap would be easier/more practical. There are dozens of wrecked Camaros, Firebirds, and Corvettes to get the engine and computer management from, and lots of aftermarket computer support shops.
  • Options
    Evidently you failed to read my post. The I6 I already have. Got it for a song. It came out of a Trailblazer and is in the same series of modular 4, 5 and 6 cylinder engines that GM produces. I also said IT HAS THE SAME ECU FOR ALL 3 ENGINES. It should actually have the same engines mounts too. I just have to confirm that. Why do you say this is so difficult?
    Hmm: SAME bolt pattern, probably same mounts, same ECU. Where's the difficulty in moving a rad ahead and rerouting the exhaust?
    This is a light truck and I don't want a gas guzzling heavy V8 in it. There is no need. The I6 should have been in there in the first place.
  • Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    Before you get hostle, maybe you should take a look back at the previous posts. I see 2 posts prior to mine, and none of them said that you had an engine, etc........
  • Options
    I guess you didn't see the original post. Different thread.
  • Options
    russ95russ95 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
    Does anyone have any information about potential problems that might be encountered upgrading to a 2009 engine in a 2004 2wd 5mt 3.5L? I would hope to reuse the entire original exhaust system (may need to match exhaust ports), ECM, and other original external parts except for the alternator. This is a California emissions truck so it must look & function as original.
    My truck has the original cylinder head (still OK), 112,000 miles, & is used for a lot of towing. The cylinder head issue keeps me nervous and needs to be resolved. I keep my vehicles until they are totally used up; my old Suburban had 460,000 hard miles.
    Russ
This discussion has been closed.