Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy HHR Interior Problems

Comments

• dooey2006dooey2006 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problem, My driver door handle keeps breaking, The cheapest i could find the new handle is 350.00 this is crazy for a plastic piece of crap.I am trying to repair mine, I cant keep puttin out 350 bucks for a door panel, They should just sell the handle they come off easy just remove the pin, GM should make a repair kit with handle and pin. Why make it with the whole panel thats insane.
  • hhrprobshhrprobs Member Posts: 13
    i own and 2006 HHR and its got 38000 mles on it. And the roters are acting up again for the 3rd time. So today i go to the store and was going to take my key out and it woudnt come out are go bk,so when i got home i called the chevy co. and told them what happen. He said let me see if i got the part. he comes bk and said that there having a problem with the key. but what it is the shifter button is stuck and want release. I said it should be a recall then. No mam its not and the cost since your warrant ran out is $275.00. I am peed off. I think they should trash hhrs. This prob should be a recall dont u think?
  • madatgmmadatgm Member Posts: 4
    I repaired the door handle myself with a thin strip of flexible metal, two tiny screws in pre-drilled holes. Then I reinforced it all with a glue gun (epoxy would work too). Total cost..about 20 cents. Time to repair, less than an hour.
    Note: Use care removing the switches in the door panel. They do all pop out but some not so easily. Now I'll just wait for the others to break.
  • wit2wit2 Member Posts: 11
    DEALER SAYS DRAIN HOSE FOR DRIVERS SIDE SUNROOF NEEDS TO BE REPLACED HAS TO ORDER IT. HAD CAR FOR 3 DAYS TO DETERMINE THIS, MECHANIC DROPPED HEAD LINER DOWN AND POUR WATER DOWN DRAIN LINE AND NOTICED WATER RUNNING DOWN OUTSIDE OF DRAIN HOSE. PUT CAR BACK TOGETHER AND I HAD TO WAIT 7 DAYS FOR HOSE ASSEM. TO ARRIVE. BEFORE TAKING CAR BACK I TOOK A FLASHLIGHT AND LOOKED DOWN DRAIN LINE FROM SUNROOF. COULD SEE HOSE WAS NOT CONNECTED WHICH THEY FINALLY CONNECTED. SO CAR WAS IN THEIR POSSESSION ON AND OFF FOR TEN DAYS. DON`T BELIEVE DEALER WOULD EVER HAVE FOUND LEAK OR DID NOT APPEAR TO CARE. WHOLE MESS JUST NOTHING BUT AGGRAVATION. SPENT ALOT OF MY OWN TIME IN WATER USE, TO LOCATE LEAK, ELECTRIC FOR HAIR DRYER TO DRY UP FLOOR EVERY TIME A HEAVY RAIN OCCURRED. ALL THIS BECAUSE OF HOSE NOT CONNECTED PROPERLY TO DRAIN. MECHANIC WITH DIRTY HANDS LEFT GREASE MARKS ALL OVER HEAD LINER WHICH AFTER ME COMPLAINING DID DETAIL WHOLE CAR. LAST HEAVY RAIN NO LEAKS. HAVE FINGERS CROSSED. YES SOME CARS WILL HAVE SOME PROBLEMS BUT WHAT COUNTS IS DEALER STANDING BEHIND WARRANTY AND BENDING OVER BACKWARDS TO SATISFY CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!!!! AND COMPANY, GM HAS TO BACK THEIR DEALERS. THINGS START AT THE TOP AND TRICKLE DOWN THE CHAIN.
  • starfruit55starfruit55 Member Posts: 1
    I agree about starting class action lawsuits, I returned to service department for my 2008 HHR 6 times, there of those for water leaks driver side car soaked from to back. First time 7 days after purchase July 1, 2008 electrical problem, dealership never realize car had been leaking. Recently return to service department something drained the batteries, they swore the light switch was left on, but I know it was left on auto, key stuck as well shocks me each time I get in and out. At time it appears to accelerate but they want address this issue. Service department has destroyed carpet on driver side, coming up from floor, wires exposed. This is only a few of my issues with this car.
    starfruit55
    read message #50 their are 4 drains
    read message #50 there are 4 drain hoses
  • morph00morph00 Member Posts: 3
    Okay, In all my life, I've NEVER had a door handle fail, e.g., breakoff inside the door. And from what I've read, Chevy wants you to by a complete assembly, did they get this from from how Neon's are built, buy a whole unit with only a tiny part broke?

First the remote start door remote system quits, replaced fob battery and worked for about a month, then nothing, once in awhile it sort of works. But having a door handle break like this is bad!

How many owners have the same problem? If you need to get out of the car, wind window down reach out or use the passenger door! This is a safety issue!

I looked online for some diagrams to see how to remove the panel inside to get to the mechanism, nothing readable! Anyone have something?
    go back and read some former comments someone else has simple solution to fix handle
  • matmaxbevmatmaxbev Member Posts: 2
  • matmaxbevmatmaxbev Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 HHR and I really love my car but when it rain and my car is parked in the driveway there is water on the passenger floorboard. I was told they couldn't find where it was coming from, now my car is at the dealer and they have taken the seats out to dry the floor and looking for the leak. Could someone tell me is the a manufacture problem, right now I'm looking at a bill of approximately $560.00 dollars.
  • prp1prp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. The dealer wants $355.00 for the part plus about a two hour labor charge! This is one of the worst designs possible!! This is a safety issue and GM should have a recall on this problem. They also need a repair kit instead of having to replace the whole door panel.
    After reading the responses in the forum I think I will try to repair the handle myself.
  • morph00morph00 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at an epoxy compound called PC10 (ACE hardware carries it).
    My break is visible when you open the door and pull the door handle open, so I'm going to mix up some PC10 epoxy and take a small brush and brush it on the break where I can see it, then close the handle, re-open it to make sure it made a connection to the other side. If not, I'll let the initial coating cure, then add another layer and test again. The broken plastic does have a rough texture where broken, so the adhesive should adhere well.

I just need about 12 hours of 50 + degrees for the epoxy to cure.

Ken
  • wonkaswheels1wonkaswheels1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife loved the "Majestic Amethyst" color when the 2006 HHR came onto the market. I bought her a 2006 in 2008 and she has had a great experience with the car up until about three weeks ago when the passenger's side inside door handle "released". I was sure it was some type clip device and that it would just need to be reconnected. My wife usually drives the car back and forth to work and we use a bigger Chevy Uplander to cart around our family of six. (parents, two teenagers, and two small dogs). I have been unable to exit from the passenger side unless I roll down window reach over with arm out the window and open the door with outside handle. Today it was raining here in KS and I had enough with the reach over exit maneuver.

My wife and I finally have taken the assembly apart and low and behold it was NOT the "released" connection I thought it was. It is hard to describe exactly how we felt when we saw the door handle was actually plastic and that it was fractured. I ran to get online to hopefully try and find a $40 dollar fix with a new handle only to find they were not available unless you buy a whole door panel assembly. Within 5 minutes I found this forum, and one other,where a gentlemen in TN described how he fixed it. After about six bucks at the local hardware store I am about thirty minutes into my repair and have high hopes I can fix this and avoid the $400 RIPOFF that Chevy is charging HHR owners for a fix.

It floors me that some engineer thought a caste plastic would hold up under a repetitive stress situation such as the door handle of a car. The design has all the torque place on one thin elbow piece that has no structural integrity. What floors me even more is that we have become such a "plastic" culture. It is stupid to be mad at foreign manufacturers because we are the consumers whom continually by these plastic made parts. We continue to think that the cheaper is always the better choice. Thus we have dollar stores every mile through out the city, What do they specialize in selling? PLASTIC! (from over seas) We are the consumers who shape what is sold to us by continually buying this cruddy stuff because it is cheap.

I have been a loyal Chevy owner for many years and I was seriously surprised by the lack of integrity displayed in their design on this part. I am already thinking about removing the other inside handles and reinforcing those before they break. For the next few days, we will use a piece of nylon rope to release the latch so that the car is still useable. Will try and update as I can. THANKS FOR THE HELP!
  • madatgmmadatgm Member Posts: 4
    I began this thread by recommending a class action suit. However I found away around the entire issue...at least for me. Although I fabricated a repair and the door is now better than new...on my side anyway, I relieved myself of any future problems by selling the car. Caveat emptor. :lemon:
  • mrdbrownmrdbrown Member Posts: 1
    my husband needs to know how you fixed the problem with the door panel / handle.
  • gruffygruffy Member Posts: 5
    My son did it for me...he is incredibly deft that way. Chevy would have you buy the whole door panel. All he did was remove the panel and pull out the pin that holds the handle in place. GM won't sell you a handle...of course....so he took two small thin rather flexible aluminum strips and sanded them so they were really roughed up. Then he used special plastic epoxy to glue the two strips to the handle where it broke (and where all of them break). The thin strips did not impede the handle in it's recess, and it's worked perfectly ever since. Main thing, though, is to have the strips rough enough to give a firm "purchase" for the glue. Hope that helps. Sorry for the delay...

Gruffy
    read message 50, 51, 56, by wit2
  • leah5leah5 Member Posts: 6
    i've had my hhr for about 5.5yrs now. it's the lovely "06" model and i got it in "05"
    well, it seems like everytime i turn around something is going wrong with my car!
    #1. the whole car violently shakes when i apply the brakes (im told that my rotors are wraped from driving threw water puddles)
    #2. i've had to have the radio replaced, because it would just shut off on its own, or never come on.
    #3. the gear shifter knob came off in my hand as i was shifting the gears.
    #4. the check engine light comes on for a day or two and then goes away.
    #5. O...lets not forget the water in the floorboard of the passenger side. (i've had it fixed, but now the whole car smells like mildew.
    #6. seriously bad blind spots! i have hit...2 different telephone poles, a car and a bobcat (the animal) all with the front bumper!
    #7. my side mirrows don't move anymore with the button, or even when a car with bright headlights, like it did when i first got the car.
    #8. the sunroof brackets broke, now that thing leaks and the dealership says they will not fix it, cause of wear and tear.....hello this has all happened to my car in the 1st year of having this car.
    #9...and just tonight, on my way to a friends house, my POWER STEARING goes out. I took it to a 24hr place to have them look at it real quick and they can't figure out where the power stearing thing is....so, i get back in my car to come home and guess what i have? my power stearing is back!
    #10. i have also been told since i bought the car in 05, that i need a new clutch! it only acts up when its cold!!!! the dealership tells me thats wear and tear too, but they also said, its cause someone has been driving my car that doesn't know how to drive a standard....hello....that's what i learned to drive on.
    So, for almost 5.5yrs, i have been driving this car with all of these problems and my car now has 91,000. miles on it.
    plus i forgot to mention, it clicks really loud when i make a hard right hand turn...what's that?
    anyone else?
  • rstruthersrstruthers Member Posts: 29
    I had the same problem only on the passenger side. The leak was ruining the heater fan and the resistor that controls it. I replaced 3 resistors and one fan motor. Now I have taken the cowl cover off. This entails removing the wiper blades and the cover that extends across the lower part of the windshield. Under that is a flexable cover on the passenger side that has come loose. It is only glued down. I have heard of others that have made a template and cut an aluminum sheet to replace it. I chose to re-seal it with silicone and then use duct tape, (aluminum tape with a really sticky glue that is used on house and commercial air ducts) to tape around the perimeter of the the cover. I made sure I covered the screw holes. Reinstall the large cowl cover and wipers. I think it's fixed.
  • cheif2dogcheif2dog Member Posts: 3
    MY DRIVERS SIDE DOOR HANDLE HAS BROKEN TWICE!!!!! The first time it was under warranty of course..now it is not! Called chevy to see if this was an on going problem because my husband says I must be "too rough" on it! Rep called me back and told me to fix handle would be 300.00 because the whole panel had to be replaced!!!!! Genius engineer designed this ,huh!!!!? He also investigated and said this did not seem to be a reported problem! What a liar. I am glad I kept looking.
    Where I live our streets flood quite easily...with very little warning and I told him if the handle ever broke off in my hand and I could not get out of my car, I am leaving explicit instructions to sue CHEVROLET!!!! If there is ever a class action lawsuit ...please let me know..this is absurd!!! Should have stuck with a foreign import! In 50 years of driving NEVER HAD A DOOR HANDLE BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I saw replacement handles being sold on eBay or the internet when I searched for one when someone earlier posted about having to replace the whole panel!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-COBALT-PONTIAC-G5-INSIDE-DOOR-HANDLE-2005-2- 010-/320472056948?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4a- 9d9f8474

is first one I found. I searched for Cobalt door handles.

You will have to take off your unit and figure out how to replace the handle and surround...

Good luck with this. That seems a lot more practical than replacing the whole door panel.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• warvinwarvin Member Posts: 10
    I was having the same problem with my remote and took it back to the dealer. The first time I took it back they put new batteries in both of them. The second time just a few weeks later, they said I would have to pay to get them fixed. I was livid...yelled and screamed that it had to be the remote mechanism and that is covered under my warranty..sure enough it was a mechanical issue with the remote...it was something to do with the computer chip...It got fixed free of charge...but that was after yelling and screaming...no one should have to do that when they are the owners of new cars...again hate dealers...

warvin
  • zacatecaszacatecas Member Posts: 1
    im going to try this.im tired of this freaking water coming in trough the passenger side panel.can even get a freaking car wash without water coming in. For the handle part my wife is tired of rollong down the window and opening the door like that escially when it rains. :mad:
  • dei1dei1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced no display on radio? All other lights work and function properly, just can't see any info on it...
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    This is at night with the dimmer switched all the way up? Or in the daytime?
  • dei1dei1 Member Posts: 2
    Day or Night,and the dimmer switch doesn't make a difference at all...
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Dei1,
    Has anyone looked at the radio to see what is going on? The radio works other than the display correct? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • mammielouisemammielouise Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my HHR purchased new in 2005. The door handle has been broken for 2 or 3 years driver side. Dealer told me about $495.00 as you stated the whole panel has to be replace plus labor. I was letting my window down to get out but now I've did that so much it stopped working. Now I have two problems,my key remotes will not work even with the replacing the batterys. I have to push the botton to lock it so the alarm go off when I use the key get in. I know another lady with that problem. I think there are many more with the door they just was able to pay for the repair. Please let me know about class action. I really need my door fixed.
  • lizziebethlizziebeth Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    They sell replacement door handles for Cobalts and G5s. Do HHRs have the same handle.

Try ebay.com and search for cobalt interior door handle or inside door handle.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• docwatson3docwatson3 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the key. Parts, labor and tow come to $510.00. I like the car, but it only has 47,000 on the clock So far I have had to replace one front wheel bearing, the heater blower and blower control and now this. And now the struts are starting to make noise.
    When ,or where, will it end? Is this the quality that made american industry the envy of the world?
    Not that the car is "crap", just getting too costly too soon.
    Anyway, I am glad to get a chance to vent. Has anyone heard of a recall for this problem?
    My HHR just made 75,000 miles. Thus far it has had a door handle fall off (which my son put back on at the expense of no longer having a working door lock switch). It has also had to have the head replaced because of some kind of leak that was causing #4 cylinder to constantly mis-fire, keeping the engine light on, then off...then on..... It has also had the heater assembly completely replaced because it never worked properly...couldn't get the air flow shudder to actuate to different settings. It has had one of the two transmitter keys quit. It has had an interior dome light crap out. It also has horrible strut noise now in the winter (they attribute to cold shocks...but that has never happened to other cars I've had). Oh, I forgot, I just sold my 92 Subaru with 376,000 miles on it for $400...and it drove away.
    58 DOLLARS? And that doesn't include shipping....that piece of crap isn't worth 2 bucks, chrome plating (sic) and all.....then, try installing it...
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    You what something worse than that?
    I closed my door on my safety belt and broke the plastic button (the size of a dime) that passes trough my safety belt.
    Went to buy another one at the dealer....get ready....38.00$
    I said NO WAY!
    docwatson3,
    If you would like to send me your VIN I would be happy to look into recall information for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    gruffy,
    Are you still experiencing concerns with your vehicle? Please email me your VIN and situation information. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • way2fast4yway2fast4y Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I read your post that you replaced your wheel bearing. I would like to ask you what kind of noisy was it making???? Mine sounds like the drivers side tire is rubbing. I did take it to A mechanics shop and they have no idea what it is all they could tell me was that they heard the noise and to keep driving it till it gets worse.
    Very good mechanic....the worse it gets...more expensive it will be to repair. Go see someone else before it's to late.
    I'm talking by experience. When I was younger I could hear a weird sound when applying the brakes, went to a mechanic and he told me that he couldn't find anything and to wait till it got worse (exactly like your mechanic did) I waited....It got worse alright, had to change all the front brake system (discs, rotors, hoses) I mean everything, cost me 800$ this was back back in 1979.
    Ya right! Wait until it gets worse he said.
    Who's won in this story.
    edited August 2011
    This will be my last post on this group....yesterday, my wife took hold of the passenger door handle and it broke, leaving her stuck in the car. She had to lower the window to open the door, which was painful to her shoulder....

I took the car to the agency and was told the door handle was still $343 plus labor...someone suggested I get rid of the car. I though to my self; "self, this ******* will soon be out of extended warranty...and then I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE NEXT NEW HEAD. Ain't gonna happen." Immediately the agency put me with a salesman, and I bought a used Subaru Outback. They are now the proud owners of an HHR, and I have an "Outback" that has metal door handles and that good old pancake opposed engine that got me 346,000 miles in my Subaru Loyale (without ever, EVER braking a door handle).

I received a message from some Chevy Rep asking me for the VIN number so they could get involved...why would I even bother...it's a piece of plastic JUNK, and it's GONE from my sight. No more neck-aches from looking out of that restricted window, either....

So long folks. Buy America? NOT. That Chevy was made of Chinese plastic, and it had an European Transmission *FYI"....Americans aren't making anything any more...,,,just watch"Secret Millionaire" and see our vacant, rusty cities....

Good luck. If I were you, I'd ditch the car ASAP.
    What year was your HHR? How long did you owned it?

I bought mine (2010 2LT new) exactly a year ago and no problems yet.
    I love the vehicule, fun to drive and economical. Best one since a long time.
    Went on a cross country trip last summer, a real joy, crossed the valleys, plains and the Rockies without any problems what so ever a trip of 6,200 miles.
    Sorry to hear about your door handle and I've heard of others having the same mishaps with door handles but plastic is plastic.

Good luck with your Subaru...they are nice and good for sure.
  • leah5leah5 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2011
    wow!!! you wont believe it, but my drivers side door handle broke today as well. i know have to roll down my window before shutting off my wonderful car, open the door from the outside, pull the door shut back enough for me to roll up my window, turn the car off, lock the doors, unlock my door by hand, get out locking the door behind me. (i have to do this locking maneuver so my alarm doesn't go off when i open the doors, and i do not have the remotes anymore because chevy accused me of washing them with my laundry and i can not afford new ones) such a wonderful car!!!!
    i too had a chevy rep wanting my vin number wanting to try and see if they could help....but, i'm so done with this car!! it's been nothing but problems after problems. My cat busted making it sound as if i was driving a loud race car and chevy wanted to charge me over a $1,000. to fix the job. well, i took it somewhere else and $50. later, my car doesn't make that loud noise, and i get better gas millage. Chevy also told me when my car had around 30,000miles on it that i needed to get a new clutch (sp?)...well, now that i have over 115,000 on my car....i still have the same clutch.
    i got this car back in 2005 and it's a 2006. I was the 1st person in my town to own one...and now i'm wishing that i would have gotten something different.
    Also about 6months ago...it flooded with heavy rains here where i live and being that i deliver pizza's and trying to get them to peoples' homes' safely and fast ( and even though a lot of them are very poor tippers) i drove my car threw safe water...a couple of inchs. well needless to say, my fan blades broke OFF and when they did, they cracked my radiator. I couldn't just replace the fan blades...OH NO i had to replace the intire thing that holds the fan. That was a pretty little penny!! and then fixing my raditor well, fix a leak stuff fixed it and all that it really cost me was that stuff, waiting a couple days, flushing it out and replacing the fluid.
    has anyone else had to replace there powerstearing motor yet? well, i was thankful enough that the colbots had been recalled because of that matter and being that hhr and colbot have the same engine, chevy was nice enough to fix mine for free.
    does anyone elses' car shake so bad when you apply the brakes you feel as if you are going to shake to death inside of the car? my car has had this problem for years now and when my car was still under warrenty, chevy told me that i needed new roters....and that my warrenty didn't cover it.
    when my sunroof busted and now leaks so beautifully into my car, i was told by the warrenty people that they did NOT cover windows, even though i had the 100,000mile warrenty. so now my car has mold growing in it. THANK YOU CHEVY FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL SAFE CAR! i hope that my children or myself do not get sick from riding in this HHR!
    i know that the car was made in mexico....and i'm not being rasicst but, i know my car is made out of mexican tuperware. a bobcat ran out in front of me a few months ago and ripped out my tire well, cracked the heck out of my bumper along with busting my fog light. my car went home crying and the bobcat ran off.
    i would drive this thing off a cliff if there was any in florida!!!
  • cheif2dogcheif2dog Member Posts: 3
    I love my 2006 hhr....my drivers handle has only been replaced 3 times now and i haven't paid once...i raise so much hell about my family suing them if i am ever trapped in the car and die...that fix it free.....we really do need to file a class action lawsuit, it is a life jepordizing thing ,not being able to get out of a car in an emergency....anyone know how????????
  • warvinwarvin Member Posts: 10
    OMG...I had to replace my brakes and my rotors because the dealership wouldn't fix it because they said it wasn't covered. Needless to say when GM was shutting down dealerships they got cut. Good they sucked.
    Yes, the front end vibrates again. I just had it fixed. What the hell is wrong with GM...is it no wonder that people hate American made cars, but then Toyota is having troubles too. So what is one to do?

I had trouble with the rubber coming out of the window on the inside..window started to have condensation problems so took it back to the dealer and they had to fix that...I have read some of the owners have had trouble with leaks in their windows. Check that rubber seal. It is covered under the warranty.

BTW, I also had to replace my remote again for the second time. Transmitter inside the remote was corroded....hello? I have 1998 OLDS that has a remote and I have never had any trouble...the car is 13 years old and still going...maybe they were made better back then...

Thanks! Is anybody from GM listening? Kind of doubt it....
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    I just bought a Brand New 2011 HHR LS auto with 11 miles on it and it is already rattle a little bit from the dash with only 142 miles on it. I had a 2010 HHR and it had rattles in it as well and I ended up getting rid of it because 4 dealers could'nt fix it.

This time I would like it done right. I love the car ,but not the rattles. I rented a 2009 HHR LS from Alamo with 33000 miles and it didn't have any rattles or issues. Please heip me, advise me.
    My HHR has small rattles in it starting to develop at 142 miles and don't know if I should take it back to the dealer and get something else. Please advise!!!
    The rattles are coming from the steering wheel column and it squeaks a little now. I'm really worried I made the wrong decision.

Please advise ASAP.
    I need advice on what to do about the rattles and the squeak coming from my steering wheel in My brand new 2011 HHR LS with Auto. I bought it on March 31st 2011 and I feel I got another bad one. I really love the HHR, but the rattles and squeaks annoy me, especially on a car that has 142 miles on it. It feels like it has 60000 miles on it. Please advise me!! I am depressed and sad about this.

Paul
    I need help with the rattles in my dash and steering column on my 2011 HHR LS. The car only has 142 miles on it and it has issues already.

Please help me, please advise!!