Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why NOT to buy a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS

Comments

• growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    For the record, my XLS costed me 36 grand CAD out the door with 7k in finance charges on top of it if I dont pay quickly. Besides, I would be glad to trade in the paddle shifter, blue tooth, roof rack and any other useless item for more quality. I guess that would be a bad thing for marketing wouldnt it?
  • busta4busta4 Member Posts: 35
    IMO, in the final analysis after 11,000 miles and a little over 15 months of ownership it is a poorly designed car that I regret buying brand new. My Interior is FULL of annoying noise. My staring wheel even has a funny click to it when I turn it side to side. The wind around the side windows is way to much I have to push it down a little to muffle the noise. My dashboard and windshield are poorly aligned and have have started to make creaking noises over every single bump in the road. The stereo is a huge letdown, sounds horrible with the volume up. The 2008 Outlander brochure states "stiff inner door panels and precisely designed speaker housing to accentuate the system's sound quality" this is clearly not the case for the 2007 Rockford Fosgate system. It sucks. The whole interior is one giant rattle box and it shouldn't be. I have ranted before on this forum about the quality of the plastic used, so I will give the short version, it sucks.
    My advice is if you want the Outlander, is to buy it used so some of the "used" looks and sounds my brand new Oultnader displays might not bother you as much. and someone else can pay the depreciation.
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    >> For the record, my XLS costed me 36 grand CAD out the door with 7k in finance charges on top of it if I dont pay quickly.

Are you saying finance charges are not applicable to other cars, why mention them? ...28 grand in US, 36 grand in Canada or 48K in Russia, so what? It is still the best value on the market. The noise level and interior is adequate to the price, but equipment and features exceed the price by far. The Outlander is equipped as well as Lexus 350.

>> Besides, I would be glad to trade in the paddle shifter, blue tooth, roof rack and any other useless item for more quality.

The paddle shifters are free bonus and the Bluetooth is a must feature for me. I love the Fast Key, premium stereo, Nav, handling, styling, seat comfort, warranty, 4WD, transmission. I am really happy with beige interior in white leather. And then talking of quality, according to Consumer reports, the Outlander has the best reliability in its class, unlike the least reliable in its class Mercedes M class, LR3 and BMW X5.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    IMO, in the final analysis after 12,000 miles and a little over 13 months of ownership it is a well designed car that I am glad that I bought brand new. My interior is quiet and has no squeeks. The stereo is fantastic, sounds great with the volume up, especially with a CD, Sirius, and absolutely thumps on things like James Bond DVDs. It rocks. The whole interior is tight and has modern/technical styling that suits my eye perfectly, so I will give the short version, it is great.
    My advice is if you want the Outlander, buy it new or used, it's a great vehicle.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    1yr 4mos, with 12K miles on the odo, this vehicles is almost still new. I take care of my Outlander, and after washes, I can still smile because it still looks like I've just driven off the dealership. And that's with black paint. after 2 winters, i've manage to keep the car chip free, and no major scratches so far. The interior seems to be holding pretty good in my case, no rattles so far. Had the clunking steering when I bought it, but since been fixed after I mailed MMNA about it, so was the mirror noise. Other than that, I still feel the thrill of driving it everytime, how it hums on bridges and how quickly I pass RAV4s and CR-Vs on the freeways, and yes I try to do that when I can, just for the other driver to look it's an Outlander that overtook them, thanks to the paddle shifters which definitely allows me to demand power from the V6 MIVEC engine when I want to at a split second without reaching for the stick shift (which is not a good idea at 75-80 mph). The navigation software (and the maps also) could use an update, but I'm holding off paying for it until I see a good enough version that's worth the money. I have no regrets with my 4WD XLS, and I would still very much recommend it for those in the market for a sporty SUV. Reliability has been outstanding so far, but I already expected that from a Japan built Mitsubishi, having owned a Lancer before. So, it's been a worthy investment in my case. I feel confident and safe everytime I drive with my family on board. Ample power for towing when the need arises. It's money well spent in my case.
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    You must be frustrated with your job or something. Don't blame your car for all your problems. Most of us are satisfied. Mine is quiet, no rattles at all, panel are tight and even, dashboard looks good. Are you sure you own the same car as rest of us? Highlander, Outlander, Uplander....
    I paid 22.5K USD for brand new XLS 4wd, with protection and appearance packages.
    Blue tooth, roof rack, selectable 4WD, tinted windows, sliding & reclining 2nd row seats, drop down tail gate, Fast Key, ASC with traction control, V6 engine and 6 speed auto transmission, were important to me.
    I'm not crazy about fabric seats (lint catchers) and useless 3rd row seats. I would like to see more accessories available, and maybe diesel engine option in the future.
    :confuse: I run a non-profit that specializes in bringing aid and comfort to people who are in need and I can't think of a better way to spend my days, thank you for asking.

My frustration is the Twenty seven thousand dollar car I purchased has to many minor problems that add up to one big disappointment.

If i wanted a car that is clunky, and noisy, and scratches easy, and has throttle lag(dangerous) and a stereo system that can't keep an FM signal or rattles the whole car with the volume over 20, or a windshield that literally sounds like it's not lined up properly, I would of stuck with the used cars I have bought in the past.

I can't figure out why people put up with with the car problems discussed all over this forum with every make and model after spending thousands on these vehicles. where is the accountability in the craftsmanship and promises made by the manufacturing?

You can't t tell me The folks at Mitsubishi could not hear the wind noise in the cabin of this car during the design phase. Or the rattles the stereo makes inside the doors.

They could and did. and rather than spend the money to work out the problems they banked on an apathetic consumer. And it looks like that is what they got.

Piast, I am taking about my experience with my Outlander on this forum not about one of your family members so try not to make this personal, but if you are still interested in my frustrations, or problems or my job I will be glad discuss it with you further in a private email.
    Have you ever heard of bean counters bringing down to earth many great engineering ideas? Smaller manufactures just can't afford to put all the luxury features on a car , sell it to you at a low price and guarantee it for 5 and 10 years, can they? How is it possible that you see this car so much different than most of us? It is personal, because it sound like all of us happy owners are just idiots, who spend 20-30K on a brand new car, and still not see how crappy it is. Well, we don't.
    Okay, admit, you just need a hug.
    Hey busta4, what part of the country are you located? I'd like to compare Outies to see and hear your problems, because mine doesn't have what you're describing.
    "it sound like all of us happy owners are just idiots, who spend 20-30K on a brand new car, and still not see how crappy it is."

That is an interesting way of reading into my posts. I am sorry you feel that way.

none of the issues I have with my car are "luxury features" Mitsubishi could not afford

no two cars roll off the assembly line exactly the same. My car has the real problems I described and your does not. I get it and so should you.
    rcpax, could you tell me what the fix was for the clunking steering wheel? What is it? Was there a service bulletin? My clunking noise seemed to have gone away and then came back. Strange. Thanks for any info.
    Click here: http://outlander.freeforums.org/tsb-07-26-001-clunk-or-pop-type-noise-from-front- -suspension-t4.html

Print a copy of the TSB, and bring it to your dealer. Had mine fixed, never came back. If it was previously serviced for the same, bring it back again. Make use of the 5 year warranty. When my Outlander got serviced for it, the dealership offered a loaner car (Lancer). So I really cannot complain.
    It is probably Outback :)
  • cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    I am a new 2008 Outlander SE owner and fortunately have not encountered the problems some people have described. Hopefully the car will stand up over time, so far I see no reason why it shouldn't. I'm sure people read these forums before purchasing (like I did) so to address a few of the complaints out there so as to not scare off all prospective buyers:

1. Poor ergonomics: Yes it would be nice if it had a telescopic steering wheel but that doesn't mean it will be uncomfortable for everyone. It used to be rare to see a telescoping steering wheel on a compact anything but they are becoming more common so I would expect Mitsu to offer one soon in future model years.

2. Hard seats with no bolstering: I actually find that there is a nice, firm, slight lumbar bump on my seat that provides lumbar support. Yes the seats are on the firm side but I like that too.

3. Excessive noise: Fortunately I have not experienced this whatsoever. I also have a Corolla and a Prius and the Outlander is easily the quietest car out of any of them when going 80mph on the freeway despite being the least aerodynamic.

4. Cheap dash and door inserts: For 2008 the plastic on the doors now matches the dash so it looks a lot better. Yes I agree for 2007 the door interiors looked really cheap. Mitsubishi obviously realized this and fixed the problem for 2008.

5. Steering wheel hard to turn: Have not experienced this problem. I have found the car is as easy to steer as any other.

6. Suspension too stiff. I like the sporty suspension, it reduces body lean in turns. I also don't feel every bump, I think the 18" wheels help with that too. Are your tires overinflated?

My interior is also not a "rattle box" at all - I have zero rattles and I hope it stays that way. Even with the 10" Rockford Fosgate sub cranked up I can not create a rattle in this car.

I love this car and the fact that I saved over $2,000 than if I would have purchased a less well-equipped Toyota RAV4.
    Thanks for the reply, I thankfully do not have that front end suspension issue. My steering wheel has a clicking noise when I turn it all the way to the left or right. It almost sounds like something is being wound up and as it comes back to center it makes a faint clicking sound. You mentioned the five year warranty, do I have any recourse with the dealer on the small but many, creaks, moans and wind noises in my cabin? The stereo vibrates, seemingly off the doors the speakers are mounted in and acoustically is really lacking in a decent sound. Even if I am covered under warranty I don't get the impression my dealer is going to have any interest in making the car quit and tightening up the interior. I asked them to check a noise I had early on, they drove it around the block, said they could not duplicate the noise I described and then charged me $15 dollars for their effort. Should I just write a letter to Mitsubishi and try that route? Thanks for the info.
    If the noises are as bad as you describe then there shouldn't be a problem replicating them. Find a song on a CD that makes it rattle and que that up at that dealership. The steering wheel click sounds like it happens every time, show it to them. Ditto with the window, get to highway speeds and show them that the noise stops when you press on the glass.

What city are you located in?
    For those asking why Mitsubishi did not include a telescoping steering wheel... I have yet to find a Mitsubishi with that feature. I could be wrong but I've driven 8 different Mitsubishi vehicles, and none of them have telescoping steering wheels. It's just not Mitsubishi's "style". Not that it's not a good feature, because it can be a welcome addition to the nice set of features of the Outlander, but the reason behind its omission is that Mitsubishi never really made cars with that feature, so I'm not surprised it's not on the Outlander, and all the Mitsubishi vehicles the came before it.
  • bozzy1bozzy1 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought an 08 Outlander SE 4 cyl with cvt. There is a light single clunk or tap when I pull away. It only happens after the car is started. In other words, it will not make the noise putting it into drive from park or neutral. You must turn the ignition on and put it in drive and then you get one clunk as you give it a little gas to pull away. Any thoughts?
    Yes, we already talked about this few months back. It is ABS self test, and it happens every time you restart the car. Check your service manual as well for detailed explanation.
  • bozzy1bozzy1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks so much.
  • cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    Yes I was wondering about that too. I thought I had dropped something into the engine bay and it was rattling around.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I've also heard the noise and was wondering what it was.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • asiandudeasiandude Member Posts: 13
    Definitely superior to our Ford Escape (2.3L) which was thankfully stolen, however here in Brunei (south east asia) the Outlander suffers. Firstly the warranty is pathetic; 20,000km or one year, our's is eight months old / 30,000km and already the aircon compressor has died and electrical glitches like doors locking, lights on and rear wiper operating at any time (even when parked!!!) Some of the outlanders here are also having transmission problems (CVT type, a center bearing fails apparently) and brake/shifter interlock switches often fail. Unfortuntely the warranties are crap for most makes here, you guys are lucky with the "5 year specials" and lemon law. Mitsubishi probably have a winner with this car, no doubt its a good vehicle, just a shame about the tech problems and usually expect better reliability from the [non-permissible content removed]. Great forum btw, all the best to you in USA.
  • 20vcq20vcq Member Posts: 82
    Then it might be even more frustrating for you to learn we here in Canada have a 10 year warranty.
    10 years???? Mind you, if your outlander is anything like mine you're gonna need it! How can a manufacturer give such wildly different warranties for different markets? (The outlanders here are also made in Japan.)
    Before you make that statement, you might want to ask yourself how much warranty does toyota and honda give to their cars in your part of the world. It's not about Mitsubishi, it's about the market. Have you heard of lifetime warranty on drivetrains? It's only the the US my friend, AFAIK. Different markets get different trims and options with varying warranty terms. Not even the UK is offered 10yr warranty on their vehicles.
    Honda, Toyota and Mazda generally offer 3 - 5yrs / 60K - 100K here. Buying a Mitsubishi with such a limited warranty was a bit of a gamble it seems, but they generally have a good reputation here.
  • thomasw98thomasw98 Member Posts: 29
    Piast: It seems that you and a couple of other posters always have the same response to anyone who complains about the Outlander:

First you tell them they are too sensitive and expecting too much.

Then you tell them they should just sell the car and get a different car.

From my point of view, your responses are not helpful or productive to this forum.

For the record, I do not own an Outlander or competitor vehicle, but I am in the process of comparing. I really value reading various posters' complaints as well as compliments about the various cars on the market. "Attacks against complaints" are not useful in most cases.
    >> First you tell them they are too sensitive and expecting too much. Then you tell them they should just sell the car and get a different car.

I think what Piast says makes perfect sense to me. Outlander ergonomics, interior quality, noise level are in fact similar to the most CUVs in this price range so he making point about the complainer being “too sensitive and expecting too much” is fair. Why in the world you research car, test drive a car, then buy it and then complain about “Poor ergonomics, Hard seats, Excessive noise, Cheap dash, and stiff ride”? All these things you can evaluate before you buy a car, so they don’t fit into the thread “Why NOT to buy 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander”, since the complainer has evaluated all these but bought the car anyway.

Like I’ve said the Outlander noise level and interior quality are at least average for the price range, but the noise level and average interior are easily outweighted by many other positive Outlander qualities and that why the complainer bought the car: smooth 6-speed tranny and V6 engine, paddle shifters, exceptional handling, excellent 650-watt stereo, navi/mp3 music server, iPod hookup, bluetooth, FAST Key, keyless ignition, Xenon and LED lighting, excellent triple mode AWD system, 3-rd row kiddy seat, skid plates, sophisticated styling, 5/10 year warranty, roadside asst, CR Most Reliable in class, excellent value. In this price range you can’t find any other CUV which could match this package.

Even at higher price range the 2007 Lexus RX-350, for instance, does NOT come with: 6-speed tranny, paddle shifters, 18” tires, LED, mp3 music server, mp3 capable CD player, satellite radio, 650-watt amplifier, skid plates, FAST Key, keyless ignition, 3-rd row seat, 5/10 warranty, though you do get a much better interior and noise insulation.

>> "Attacks against complaints" are not useful in most cases.

A personal attacks are not useful either.
    No, I only have the same response to the same complains, from the same people. I can voice my opinion, as anybody else can. If a few people are complaining about things nobody else experiencing, then it is your choice who you want to trust.. Most of this "problems" are personal preferences, and I just can't stand calling the car a complete crap, because they fill like it. In this forum we are talking about some problems, we are helping each other with solutions and advises. You can scroll back thru pages and pages of valuable discussions. You can read owners reviews anywhere else (Yahoo, MSN, Edmunds, etc.) and see they are mostly positive and scores are high. If you are searching and hoping to find opinions bashing Mitsubishi just because of it's name, that is truth, my opinion would not be of any value to you. If you honestly checking other forums, you know how many problems people have with their vehicles, as there are no cars without problems. The really unhappy ones just trade those in for different brands. Life is too short to stay frustrated for years and don't do anything about it. I just like this car, even if it is not useful for you. I'm sorry, what was your question about the Outlander?
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    From my point of view, your responses are not helpful or productive to this forum.

No offense, but how exactly is your post productive in any way?
  • thomasw98thomasw98 Member Posts: 29
    No offense, but how exactly is your post productive in any way?

A good forum needs to hear both sides of the story, and yes, even counterarguments are important and useful for readers.

"Attacking arguments" are not useful though. They only ridicule people and scare off any similar posts. (Which makes me suspicious that these attackers could be somehow related to various car companies...not sure, of course, but it seems logical.)

Keep in mind that while there are a few experienced "post hounds" here, the large majority of readers never dare to post anything...in many cases because they are afraid to be flamed by the aggressive attackers. This is pretty much the common culture of 90% of the forums on the internet...I hope we can keep these Edmunds forums in the nicer 10% grouping.

I hope my efforts are productive for this forum.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    makes me suspicious that these attackers could be somehow related to various car companies

Sure, that's possible but it would be a foolhardy investment by any company simply to go out and annoy people seeking answers to questions. I suggest staying away from speculating on motives and focus on the topic. It is quite easy to scroll past postings we don't wish to read. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    Which makes me suspicious that these attackers could be somehow related to various car companies...not sure, of course, but it seems logical.

What do you think about people posting here only to bash the car and the company for no reasonable reasons and in the end they conclude it's better to buy a Honda or Toyota?
  • olliexls2007olliexls2007 Member Posts: 28
    2007 XLS Oultander. 20K mi. "Ollie" has developed a rather annoying THUMP sound in wheel,tire, or suspension that goes on up to approx. 25-30 mph. I have had all tires checked, balanced,rotated,etc. Neither the dealer or Tires Plus has been able to find the problem, Dealer is going to contacty a factory rep re:this. ALSO, steering wheel "clock" spring has been replaced and I still get a "click-click" sound @ slow speed turning.
    any ideas out there?
    OllieXLS2007
    Outlander steering wheel "click." I have this problem,too. I was told by the service tech that it was the "clock" spring. Had it replaced and the CLICK is still there LOUD as ever! Did you ever get your "click" fixed??? :confuse:
  • solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    I also have developed the thump at 20,000 miles on my XLS....I think it is a ply separation in one of the tires...I'm over 120 miles from a Mit dealer at this time.....too far to drive...everything else is fine...

Let us know what the factory rep. says about this issue...

thanx..
    I've had all the tires taken off and checked over by a reputable tire company..rotated,balance,and checked over and they didn't find anything wrong w/the tires. I, too, thought it could be a tire "coming apart" but they didn't think so.
    This sound began as I left the dealership after getting the oil changed and nitrogen put into the tires. I don't see how nitrogen could make a noise.???
    My wife told me today that she heard a loud 'clunk" while trying to get out of a crowded parking lot..had the steering wheel cranked all the way and the car wouldn't even move until she backed off the wheel a bit..that's when she heard the noise. I have read other messages re: this "new" mysterious sound and will see if I can get to the bottom of it...Still waiting for the Mitsubishi rep re:tires and steering click. PS 22,000 miles since Sept.4,2007 ...purchased it new.
    " My wife told me today that she heard a loud 'clunk" while trying to get out of a crowded parking lot."
    This is coming back every few months, with new owners:
    "...Just bought an 08 Outlander SE 4 cyl with cvt. There is a light single clunk or tap when I pull away. It only happens after the car is started. In other words, it will not make the noise putting it into drive from park or neutral. You must turn the ignition on and put it in drive and then you get one clunk as you give it a little gas to pull away. Any thoughts?
    Replying to: bozzy1 (Mar 27, 2008 3:45 pm)
    Yes, we already talked about this few months back. It is ABS self test, and it happens every time you restart the car. Check your service manual as well for detailed explanation. "
    Can it be your problem as well? As far as your tires, have your dealer tried to swap a set of tires, just to be sure ?
    I am going to the dealer today AGAIN to see what ,if anything, the factory rep. has to say re: my "thumps". I don't think they will swap out the tires as they now have over 20K on them but still not ready for replacement. I have had 3 of the tires "plugged" very near the sidewall and one may be coming apart as a result of this. The screws/nails were so close to the sidewall that I had difficulty getting anyone to plug them.
    Service writer told me that the tires may have a flat spot due to sitting on the lot so long before it was bought. Duh...I bought it in Sept. of 2007 and it had been on a lot for several months but the THUMP didn't start until they put nitrogen in the tires.
    I have an appt this Fri and they will put 70+ lbs in all tires , run it til tires heat up then "force balance" the tires (balance them while they are on the SUV).

I still think it may ahve something to do w/the nitro and maybe they overinflated a tire or whatever.
    re:THUMP..
    I have now been told that the Mit Raiders sat on lots for a loooong time and the tires developed a "flat" spot and that the "fis" is as follows:
    they inflate tires to 70+lbs
    run it until tires heat up
    "force balance" the tires (balance on the SUV)
    then, put in proper air pressure

sounds like tire voodoo to me.
    Wow - what a load you are being fed by these dealers! Flat spots on tires that cause that kind of thump are no and never would be from sitting - not unless the dealer dug into his old piles of Nylon Tires he had left over from the 70's. Flat spots that cause that kind of noise are usually tires that have been braked hard and with ABS that is not really possible.When I received my new Outlander I had some vibration - the dealer asked me to go to the Good Year tire shop and have them checked out. They replaced 3 out of the 4 Eagle LS2's as defective: THREE OUT OF FOUR. There was no way they could get them to centre as the casing was warped.
    Check around your rim - you will see a fine ridge on the tire - this is the centering aid. If that is not equal distance from the rim all around - that would be the starting point for any good tire guy.
    As for plugging these tires - I called nmy trusted tire shop - they will not plug tires anymore without also affixing a patch and they say they would never attempt to fix a damage that was close to the sidewall under any circumstances. It would become impossible to guarantee and would be difficult to balance. jmtbw
    I thought the service guy was looney,too(ns). The ridge seems equal distance from the rim on all tires. As for getting the tires plugged, 2 that were fixed (believe it or not) were while we were on vacation out of state (700+mi. from home) and on a Sunday morning...the 3rd tire that was plugged was also on a Sunday but only 20 mi. from home but I still had to be to work the next AM so I went with the old "plug-em-and-go" repair kit.
    I looked @ where the tires were made (Japan),,,I guess they must have a different standard for these very expensive tires than the U.S.A. I've only had tire problems 1 time before and that was approx. 8 yrs ago when I had 3 out of 4 Generals that were defective and traded up to Mics. Best choice ever back then.
    Thanks for your input. I will print out your message and show it to the rookie service guy.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I always heard that tires on new cars are over-inflated by the factory to prevent flat-spotting while the cars are in transit and sitting around the dealer lots.

There's more at the TireRack:

Tire Flatspotting
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    People on these boards have mentioned the tires being over-inflated for shipping. Mine had about 44 Psi each when I bought the car.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    The mfg date on my GG XLS was Oct 2006. I bought it "new" in Sept 2007. After a couple days the tire indicator lite up. There was 18lbs in 1 tire and not more than 25 in the others.
    The THUMP only developed after approx 18500 miles AND only as I drove away from the dealer after nitrogen was put in the tires.
    So...it did sit w/low pressure for a while but no problem until "NITRO"..hummmmm.. any ideas?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't think the nitrogen should have made any difference. Maybe they completely deflated the tires to purge the "regular" air and they shifted on the rims and messed up the balancing?

Try the Tires, tires, tires discussion too.
    I'd take it to the tire store that sells the tires you are using and not the dealer. Tires arn't a specialty of the level of "technician" a dealer would assign to that level of job - most likely an apprentice at less $$.
This discussion has been closed.