Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Electrical Problems

Comments

• klemphouseklemphouse Member Posts: 5
    I am having the same problem with santa fe. kills and won't restart for a few minutes. I am having the same problem. the Crankshaft sensor has been fixed. What did you find as the problem. My email is klemphouse@yahoo.com

HELP
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please do not include your email address in postings to the Forums. Thank you.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • chiamakachiamaka Member Posts: 2
    I CHANGED the crankshaft, with one round white plate round where you installed the sensor, that did not solve it then i was asked to buy the coils after that i dont know what the mechanic did to make it work but for sure its working perfectly now.
  • joey1057joey1057 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having this problem as well. tried to have it looked at, they can't reproduce it. I started having electrical "problems" 6 or so months ago when an "air bag" warning light suddenly appeared on my dash. nothing but trouble since. dealer wanted to replace the entire air bag for $2000! said I had been in an accident (I hadn't) and it had deployed. (No way). had my mechanic look at it. now I have a problem with my lights not shutting off automatically (jump starts x3 needed), the above dash lights, locked tail gate, you name it. starting to think the brain is giving out. have a 2003 with 98,000 miles on it. love the truck, but hate all these new problems. any suggestions??? I can't get the dash lights back on unless I manually turn the headlights off and back on again, which can be a bit dangerous.
    edited September 2010
    :mad: Please explain. I have replaced a battery and now the system chokes off and will not start afterwards. HELP! thank you for any help you can be!
    How do I go about printing an entire response to questions posted?

Platinumson responded to the questions I asked, but I can not view or print the complete response.

I now know not to include my email address, thank you for your guidance.
    Which message (number) are you having trouble viewing?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    #24 of 64 Re: 2003 santa fe electrical problems [carebear13] by plantinumson

I can not see the balance of the discussion it ends abruptly
    That is where the discussion ends - sorry! :(

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Dealer is saying computer relay. I will pick it up later today!
  • dl98vfrdl98vfr Member Posts: 2
    Hello to all am new to this forum and will appreciate ANY help you can give me... my headlights stopped working yesterday, I checked all fuses & found none blown, I then started playing around with different accessories to see if any would trip the headlights on; none did but I did learn that my high beams still work! Anyone have a similar experience or know of a solution before I spend $$$ for a (possible) non-answer from my mechanic?
    Thanks again,
    David
    :confuse:
  • krondokrondo Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 2010 Santa Fe in May. 90+% of the time the turn signals do not automatically disengage regardless of degree of the turn. On the rare occasion that they do disengage, the four ways flash. Drives my husband insane and if it's repairable I'd like to do it while the warranty is still in place.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    foolish nonsense! if the dealer doesn't want to take care of it under warranty - put them on the news!
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    "foolish nonsense! if the dealer doesn't want to take care of it under warranty - put them on the news! "

Holy hostility, Batman! I'm no fanboy of car dealers, but where did OP mention even telling the dealer about the problem? Did I miss something?
  • krondokrondo Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the confusion. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same "problem". I thought maybe it was just a Hyundai thing, and no, I would rather not deal with the service department where I bought it if not absolutely necessary.
  • lvtentlvtent Member Posts: 1
    Recently, the check engine and air bag lights have come on in my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The gas gauge also quit working. This all happened at the same time. Any ideas as to what this could be?
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    I've experience the gas gauge issue in my 07 limited awd - think the float/sensor is defective - haven't fixed it yet but that's what everything points to... some say it can be corrected with fuel system cleaners - hasn't worked for me yet... not sure about air bag light - was any work done on the car recently?
  • calidreamin11calidreamin11 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there! =D
    Just found and read this message board. I wasn't able to relate to anyones post, though...
    SOOOO im posting here and have hopes of getting some answers so I don't go into the repair shop w/a blindfold on and my arms crossed. :)
    My car is jumping--bad! The crank shaft sensor was replaced about two yrs ago so im HOPING and THINKING it's not that. *I think this current problem is something to do w/another sensor.
    When driving, my car will ride smoothly and then the RPMS suddenly go sky high (4-5rpms whether im driving 20-70mph. I have noticed it happens more so on the street vs freeway). At times while driving on the freeway I'll make it from point a to point b running what I call "rich" since the car seems like it's being forced to drive. RPMS will stay at about 4-5 the entire time.
    At times when stopped at a red light my car takes a long time to get the "umph" and GO! So again, the same sorta issue as mentioned above w/the jumping.

Also, I have smelled a burning smell on occasion. Not all the time but it's there. This 'issue' may have nothing to do w/the accelerating problem but at the same time it may.
    Pls forgive my long post.
    Anyone...!??! Thanks a ton for any input in advance
  • metalkiwismetalkiwis Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought an 03 SantaFe. It has seemed fine. I last drove it ten days ago. Then I went to start it and it was totally dead. I figured I left a light on so I took out the battery and charged it. Now almost nothing is working. The only things that do work are the light on the dash for my after market alarm and the red lights inside the doors. The dome light comes on when I push the button on the light, but not from the doors being opened. But the door ajarlight does light up on the dash. It is the only thing on the dash that does light up though. Nothing else electrical seems to work. Has anyone come across similar issues or have any idea where I can start to fix this? I do not have the money to tow it in to a shop.
  • clmendezclmendez Member Posts: 1
    Just had the exact thing happen with my Santa Fe. Any solution? I would hate to have to spend buku $$ just to find out that there is something simple that can be done. :(
  • semiswt30semiswt30 Member Posts: 1
    2007 hyanudi santa fe air bag,check engine,gas gage light and gas gage stop working. what is this problem , i need help and iis it alot of money.

Denise
  • mario31mario31 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,What Did You Do For Your Hyundai To Work?
  • fmarchfmarch Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 and suddenly my tail light stopped working so I checked the bulb and it was fine so I changed the fuse and it was blown, so I changed that, the fuse keeps blowing out. I disconnected the harness then replaced the fuse again and it blew out also, so I know its not the tail light or the harness so does anyone have any ideas of where this short or whatever could be coming from?
  • dewdog1950dewdog1950 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Santa Fe that frequently would not start. Sometimes it would with a jump, sometimes not. Won't turnover, no elec power.Today we stumbled on something that may have something to do with it and wanted to share with the group.
    Seems if you take it out of Park and put it back in Park, it will start and all elec power is restored.
    Anybody experience that or have any thoughts concerning it? We have had it in for service several times. Battery and ignition system check out fine.

Thanks!
  • carcapcarcap Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    gas gauge goes to empty, radio comes on when going over bump, speedometor goes to zero while diving, have to play with fan for it to go on properly. All these things just started happening. Was wondering if it is one sensor that is going bad. Does any one know?
    2002 sante fe gls model.
  • reesemanreeseman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe and have been told my engine wiring harness has been chewed/cut. Everything works except the TPMS light is always on and the AC does not get cold (so check engine light is on), looks like the wire to the compressor.

Does anyone know what parts I need and the schematics/steps to replace this, the dealer is quoting like 2 grand to do otherwise.

Thanks in advance
  • santafiedsantafied Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was wondering why I feel when I use my turn signals other drivers do not seem to notice the blinking red signal? Is it just me or do others find this to be true? I believe the turn signal red light is not bright enough to stand out from the red tail lights. I also believe the dedicated space for the signal is too small and set too high and more to the side of the car. It is frustrating many times when i need to change lanes and other drivers do not seem to notice my turn signals, therefore I always feel I will get into an accident. I would like to change the turn signal to a yellow color. Is it possible to change something whether it is the entire housing of the lights, light bulbs or glass to make it happen?? Cheers!
  • chucka2chucka2 Member Posts: 1
    My dash and tail lights have been flashing periodically for 2 years. You can hear a relay clicking from the fuse block. I've changed 2 relays and the problem still existed. Hyundai could not fix the problem. A couple of days ago the lights flashed when I changed the steering wheel position. I held the release lever and moved the wheel up and down --lights/relay were flashing rapidily. I took the column cover off and noticed a bunch of wires covered in a yellow case leaning up against a nut on the column. There was a good dent in the yellow casing. I pulled this yellow bunch away and taped it to an adjoining wire group. The lights have not flashed since either on their own or with changing tilt positions....
  • stizzelstizzel Member Posts: 2
    We are having the exact same problem with my parents 2007 Santa fe. Did you ever fix it? It keeps blowing By the 3rd of 4th use. The hazard would still work but then after using them for about 1min they blew too.
    Please get back to me ASAP so my parents can make their 7 hour drive home safely. Thanks
  • spee67spee67 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with my 2006 Santa Fe. My mechanic can not figure out what is wrong. I swear that this only seems to happen when I have the a/c on. I ran through a puddle and it was fine.. went around the block and hit the same puddle with the a/c on and lost power to the car. The second I shut off the a/c the car came back to life without turning the key. I am going to bring all your reply's to my mechanic and hope he can figure out if what has helped you will help me.
  • stizzelstizzel Member Posts: 2
    We fixed it!!! Turned out the exhaust had burned through the towing harness. So the blinkers worked great when we were sitting but as soon as we were on the road and the exhust vibrated it would touch and short out the blinkers blowing the fuse.
  • taydumgtaydumg Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe and it is being so weird. When I turn on the car the radio turns on and it goes back and forth between radio and cd player so I turned it off. I turned the corner and went over a speed bump and the radio came on out of no where. Also when you roll down the passenger window and roll it back up the the driver side window will roll down by itself. I want to know if anyone has had this problem, what it was and how much it cost to get fixed?
  • mykeofozmykeofoz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The illuminators on the climate control knobs are not working, so I can't see the knobs when driving at night. If I want to adjust the heat or air, I have to turn my overhead light on in order to see the knobs.
    Has anyone else heard of this problem or know how I can fix it?
  • mommax3bmommax3b Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sante Fe that I've only had for about 3 months now. I was driving and it out of no where shut down on me. After pulling over, I tried restarting it and it is turning over but not firing. I was told it was most likely the fuel pump so that was just replaced and it is still doing the same thing. Now I'm being told possibly the ECU? Anyone have similar issues or know what it could possibly be? Thanks for any replies :)
  • filas4mefilas4me Member Posts: 1
    Think we got a lemon!
    We bought our 2011 V6 AWD Sport in March 2011 and I have 12,000 km on it March 2 2012.
    4 times the battery has been dead when we go to start it.No reason we can find/light left on/door ajar.Anyway.It happened again on Wed. I put the charger on it and finally got it to start.
    I had lights flashing on the dash/chimes & bells going off.I shut it off and restarted.Each time I did this, less lights would come on or different lights would come on.By lights I mean the idiot lights on the dash. My check engine light was flashing but after another restart it went solid.
    I needed to go to town a 64 km round trip but my gas gauge was showing empty and range was blank.I had just filled up on Monday and had only driven maybe 150 km.There was a strong smell of gas. As I was driving, the engine light would flash intermittently.The gas gauge started to move up* but my range remained blank.I called my dealership and they towed it in.I am still waiting to hear what codes if any it gave them.All they have said is that I have several issues. This was said before they had it in the shop
  • reggieboydreggieboyd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe (which I really like). When I have my headlights on, all my brake lights come on, too (I have been pulled over by state patrol with a warning). When my headlights are off, everything is normal. Can I fix this myself? Thank you for the responses. :cry:
  • pouchkapouchka Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    About 1 month ago my fuse for the Cig lighter and charge blew. Figured it's 9 years old and it's the first fuse to blow, so wasn't a big deal. Now it's blown again, should I be concerned it's something more serious? I use a TomTom GPS, but haven't noticed any problems until recently.
    Thanks!
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2003 santa fe gsl. today, the airbag idiot lite came on when I started the vehicle and stays on continuously, while operating the vehicle. can any one advise me on what the problem may be? thank you.
  • jerseybrettjerseybrett Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The air conditioning works only intermittently. My regular mechanic replaced a faulty pressure relay switch but warned me that he didn't believe that would resolve the issue as during the diagnostic phase he noticed a current break somewhere near the control panel. I took the car to my local Hyundai dealer where they performed their own diagnostic test on the a/c and corresponding electric system, yet found found no problem. The dealer said they added a 1/4lb of freon and told me they were "confident they fixed the problem". Drove the car home with the a/c working, parked it for a couple of hours, got back in the car to go to the store and again the a/c stops working. The air blows cold for a bit then warm then back to cold. Any ideas? Anyone else having an issue with a/c?
  • randys42randys42 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem with my radio. It happens the most when the day is hot. The display may not work and station won't change but often when I'm listening to the radio, it switches to the CD player. I also get spurious characters on the display. The problem is getting worse. Now my gas gauge will suddenly go dead and drop to E and the fuel light comes on. Then it will go back to where it should be.

It sounds like similar problem with slightly different symptoms. It doesn't show up in their diagnostics which makes no sense. It's probably just a bad board.
  • mario349mario349 Member Posts: 1
    Probably a bad serpentine belt, one that has hardened over time. Not just a bad belt though, replace the belt tensioner too or the problem will come back in a short while.
  • violator007violator007 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,I bought a 2007 SF from USA and brought it here in Iraq,and since there are no dealerships in here so I am totally depending on u in this,a few days ago I noticed that my car stopped beeping the self check warning when I turn the switch to ON position(U know the routine self check before ignition)and also the AIRBAG light was on,is it related to the disappearance of the self test check beeping issue?what can I do about it?thanks for any help wish u can aid me in this :)
  • azrn222azrn222 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Santa Fe about a year ago it starting have problems where the A/C would start turning on and off repeatedly (always when the A/C was in the off position) and the clock and radio would also turn on and off and the temperature gauge would drop all the way down. After a few times of this happening, when the center console would go crazy it started acting like it was either losing power or not getting gas and would just die while driving or backing out of my driveway. I had it looked at and a code said there was a bad sensor. At that time there were 2 sensors that were replaced, a belt, temp. gauge, spark plugs and oil change. Did not fix the problem. Started getting worse, started jerking while I was driving and would just die (always when the center console goes crazy). Had it looked at 2 more times by 2 different shops no one could find the problem. Got to the point that it would only go 5 MPH. Different shop changed the fuel pump didn't help, changed the brain didn't help, change 2 cavalier converters now drives normal speed but the center console problems are still there and still acts like it is not getting power or gas and dies (again always when the center console goes crazy). I would like to say that I am a female who does not know anything about cars and so my terminology is really poor. Any advise would be great. I have already spent alot of money trying to get it fixed and at every shop I have asked that they check the wiring in the center console but they all assure me that is not the problem.
  • northwoods96northwoods96 Member Posts: 2
    Definitely the alternator-dig deep
  • patches2patches2 Member Posts: 13
    I have an 07 and had the same problem and it was a bad cell in the battery, I had it replaced and all is good. I know it's not an '11 model but something to think about.
  • lagetalageta Member Posts: 1
    having trouble with the dash/park/brake lights continuosly blowing the fuse......works for a little while after replacing the fuse and then bang just goes again and again and again. Have had mechanic look over it time and time again with no real answer to fix the problem
  • seeingred5seeingred5 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    i have a 07 santa fe. when I hit the brakes i loose my headlights. when you have at work at 5 am that is not good. Does anyone have any solutions? I have replaced the altanator and that did no good. I still have the same problems.
    also my fuel gauge has not worked for 2 1/2 years. Have to figure miles as to not run out of gas. Can wiggle the battery cable and the fuel gauge works until you let go of it. have tightened as much as i can. my check engine light never goes off. it has been on for 2 years. Can't afford to take an almost new suv to the shop every time a dummy light comes on. I will never own another.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    and have a couple of bulbs burned out on my heating/A/C control panel. How difficult is it to replace these? One bulb is needed for the temperature dial and the other is for the defrost button. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • salt53salt53 Member Posts: 1
    History: The car started running rough then cleared up. I thought I might have got some bad gas or something. The car was sputtering and lurching and had hardly any power. No engine light came on. Ok, a few minutes later it cleared up. It happened again two days later, still no engine code.

Two weeks later as my nephew was taking my niece's children to school the car starts doing it again. Then failed to start at all after he turned off the car. (This is after a new tank of gas is put in.) This time he pulled the car to the side of the road and called me. I have the car towed home. We get it off the tow truck and it runs just enough to get it into the driveway and dies, again with hardly any power. Engine light is on. I put the reader on it and it comes up with P0350. Bad primary or secondary coil. A few months prior to this event I got a misfire code on cylinder 3 so, I replaced both coils. (I figure its like headlights, one goes out, replace both).

Here is a weird thing. While trying to start the engine. 5 second burst. I get no spark to the spark plugs. However, when we turn the power off the coils discharge to the closest ground sometimes the valve cover, sometimes to the spark plug. ???

Actions to date:

Tested the coils with ohm/volt meter. Both coils check out. the book calls for a resistance between 17-23K (thousand) ohms. Both coils are at 16.4 K ohms. Spark plug wires are positive for conductivity. New plugs.

Replaced the crankshaft timing sensor and the positioning plate that is on the crankshaft. (the notch in the crankshaft positioning plate that fits over the woodruff key was so worn, that it was allowing the plate to rotate between 7 and 15 degrees and, was also flopping side to side so that it could possibly hit the sensor)
    Replaced timing belt
    had a mechanic come over and test the ignition pulse to the fuel injector
    Had the ECU repaired. They found a bad ignition pulse driver in the ECU.
    Put the ECU back into the car. Didn't need to re-flash the ECU because the pulse driver was all that was replaced.

Ok, with all that done we checked the ignition timing again this time with the meter. I get a reading of 4.65 volts from the crankshaft and camshaft however, not at the same time. I was trying not to have to disassemble the car to verify that the initial repair was good. I was wondering shouldn't both the crankshaft and the camshaft be firing a signal at the same time? It appears to be about 45 degrees from the crankshaft to the camshaft pulses.

I did the dls-assembly back down to the crankshaft again.
    Put the engine at TDC (Top Dead Center) found the front balance pulley timing was off by about 100 degrees (could this be causing no spark?).

There are two camshaft timing marks (they are aligned to the valve cover markings) visual inspection of the cams confirm that they are in fact correct,
    There is a timing mark on the crankshaft positioning plate and there is 1 one the crankshaft. Both of those are aligned together with the timing mark on the block.
    The rear balance timing mark is correct to the block.

Ok, with all that said I am about to re-assemble the engine. I put the front balance pulley on the timing mark. Re-did the belts. and just about to button this puppy back up. Did I miss anything? Or are there other actions I need to check? And does anyone happen to know why this may have initially started in the first place??
  • limagolflimagolf Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, my lights deam when I hit the brakes. It has been in the shop 5 times replacing battery, battery cables, altanator and things only got worse. I have no idea what to do. 2007 santa fe