Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Extended Warranty Questions

montanaprofmontanaprof Member Posts: 2
Hi,

My Mother-in-law just purchased a brand new Toyota Avalon Limited, and was persuaded by the dealer to purchase the Toyota Extended Warranty...for a mere $1800 (discounted from $2500)!!

When I bought my Honda Odyssey, I avoided this trap, and bought a Honda warranty from a dealer on the East coast (I bought in LA), for a fraction of the cost that my LA dealer wanted to sell it to me for. It's a genuine Honda Warranty.

Does anyone know:

1) can we cancel the current extortionately priced warranty

2) where can we get a good priced Toyota dealer warranty from?

Cheers

David

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - welcome to CarSpace! You might also have a look at our general Extended Warranties discussion while you're waiting for some input here. You can use the Search This Discussion feature to look for previous posts about Avalon extended warranties.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Search for toyotaofgreenfield.com on the internet for one place. Bargain priced, to be sure. The forum the HOST shows above will probably have more sites so go there too. Hope this helps. (You are right, you paid waaay too much.) :)
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Obvously, your mother-in-law is risk averse. That's why she bought the warranty in the first place. $1,800 would appear to be absorbitant in the first instance, but we do not know the details of this plan. If it is a 10-year warranty with a $100 or less deductible, that would appear to be a reasonable price.

By the way, this is not a warranty. Only the manufacturer offers one, which is included the price of the car. Your mother in law bought a service agreement which kicks in after the original manufacturer's warranty expire. I would not attempt to cancel the contract.
  • montanaprofmontanaprof Member Posts: 2
    Some great feedback here.

I have more details.

The plan my mother-in-law purchased was an 8 year 120,000 mile $100 deductible plan from Zurich.

The dealer sold it for $1950.

Based on a message above (thank you!!), I contacted Troy at Toyota of Greenfield. He is AWESOME to work with (call (413) 772-0231 and ask for Troy). He walked through the entire Zurich warranty with my mother-in-law AND the Toyota one.

My mother-in-law now has a Toyota Warranty, 7 year, 100,000 mile with $0 deductible, Platinum plan for $990.

Now, we just have to see how much of the $1000 I can get from my mother-in-law!!

Cheers all!!

David
  • mantaraygirlmantaraygirl Member Posts: 1
    Another recommendation -
    Midwest Toyota Superstore
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    I wanted the Platinum $0 deductible, and was getting quotes ranging from $1375 to over $2100 at local dealers.
    Quotes from Midwest: 7/75 - $561, 7/100 - $856.
    :) This was for an '04 Avalon.
    As an aside to anyone else in the SE region, you can buy the Toyota warranty anywhere in the US, you're not limited to the SE region (as I was told by dealers several times).
    Anyway, just wanted to pass this on, hope it helps someone else!
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    I had declined the extended warranty on my 07 Avalon XL at time of purchase in MS. because of excessive cost (almost $1200-). After reading the above posts, I have just purchased a platinum, zero deduct., 7yr/75000mi, Toyota Extra Care Service Agreement, from Midwest Toyota Superstore for $619--. The number is 620-662-6631, and I did business with Jerry Johnson.

As mantaraygirl posts, you are not restricted to buying a warranty where you buy your vehicle. The posts on this subject were very informative, and saved me a lot of money!
  • savvyusersavvyuser Member Posts: 2
    I have experienced significant difficulty with my Zurich auto warranty. Have found that they will not resolve the issues I have raised with them.

Anybody else have trouble with Zurich? Any suggestions for resolving issues with them?

Are extended service contracts regulated by anybody?
    Savvyuser, pardon my curiosity, but are dealerships selling other than Toyota extended warranties for new Toyota products. The Zurich warranty has come up in a couple of posts, with nothing good being said.

I would think that an extended warranty from Toyota would offer some leverage thru the Toyota organization. On the other hand, if Zurich is not managed by Toyota in some fashion, you are dealing with just another insurance company.
  • savvyusersavvyuser Member Posts: 2
    My Zurich warranty was sold by a Daimler/Chrysler dealership for the used Daimler/Chrysler vehicle I bought from them. It cost close to 2500.00 including tax. I know that Zurich is not a part of Daimler/Chrysler.

I also know about two Chevrolet dealerships that sell this warranty.

Does anyone know what state or federal regulatory organization oversees Zurich?
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    Just going out of warranty. I am considering extending factory warranty since I have losts on this car...990 for 7/100000 seems OK for risk..
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Wish I had paid more attention to this site prior to buying my avy last year. Bought an extended warranty at the dealership. Company providing the warranty is called LDS. 72 months / 100,000 mi for what they called their most comprehensive plan, "the ultimate" at a cost of 1595. Ouch.

Roland
    The current Auto Issue of Consumer Reports has an article about extended warranty coverage. Their basic conclusion has always been that the warranty price is seldom justified by the repairs needed during the coverage period. You are also much better off buying a dependable make car than risking repairs on a less dependable model. Read the article for more details.

My two prior Avalons, a '99 and an '03, would have been money makers for the dealerships as neither would have paid back to me, in repair coverage, the estimated cost of the policy. Not even close. IF you have extra money, or just demand peace of mind, and plan to keep a car 7yrs/100k miles then OK, buy coverage for your Avalon. If not, save the money... put it in a savings account and use it later, maybe...

And: My kid put well over 100k on a V6 Accord coupe. Total repairs on that car after the original new car warranty expired were less than half of the extended 120k warranty fee. Buy dependable.. like Toyota, Honda, etc... :)
  • generosegenerose Member Posts: 35
    I HAVE A2007 AVALON LIMITED WITH ABOUT 12000 MILES ON IN PURCHASED NOV 06. I PAID $1700 FOR A 7YR 75K EXTENDED WARRANTY WITH A GUARANTEED FULL REFUND IF THE WARRANTY IS NOT USED. IF I RETURN IT AND GET MY MONEY REFUNDED WILL I BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THE SAME WARRANTY FROM ONE OF THE DEALERS DISCUSSED IN THIS FORUM? I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES WITH THE CARD NOR HAVE I USED THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. I DO WANT TO KEEP AN EXTENDED WARRANTY BUT I HATE HAVING BEEN OVERCHARGED. IF ANYBODY CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    There are several dealers whose names appear in this forum that will sell a Toyota backed warranty for about 1k, maybe a little less. Toyota of Greenfield is one, do a search for others. Your car is eligible.

If the current coverage issuer gives you your money back, great! You can do a lot better. Enjoy your Avalon and the forum... :)
  • riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29
    I just purchased a 7yr/75000 mile Platinum Toyota Warranty for my '05 Avalon Ltd for $645 as it nears its 3 yr birthday. Bought it from Neill Hull at Molle Toyota in Kansas City, MO. I normally do not buy extended warranties but this gives me 4 extra yrs (or 50,000 miles in my case) coverage. Main concern is electronics like the navigation. Neil makes the transaction simple and easy, no pressure.
  • berliozberlioz Member Posts: 2
    Bought my new '08 Avalon XL at Kings Toyota in Cincinnati. The finance guy said they only offer the "platinum" Toyota extended warranty. For the 7 yr/100k, he said the price would be over $1800!! I told him I had read this forum and knew that other dealers are offering the same thing for less than $1k. He asked me what I would pay him for it, I said $1200, he came back from the manager and said I could have it for $1240, and said he had never seen anyone get it that low. I took it because I wanted to roll it into the financing. Probably should have offered less but was glad to get them to come down so much from their original offer.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    You can still cancel this extended coverage, get a refund and purchase the EXACT SAME COVERAGE (Toyota Platinum) from the dealers mentioned several places in the forums and save a MINIMUM of $500.
  • berliozberlioz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, nimimi, but my employer pays the note, so it was to my advantage to have the cost of the warranty as part of the loan.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    For those of you who have read the posts recommending the purchase of a Toyota Extended Warranty from a certain salesman at Toyota of Greenfield, I had the following experience with him: after telling him that I bought my Avalon in Hawaii, he first quoted $990, but then said that he would have to charge me an additional $100 since the Hawaii dealers "import their cars from Japan", which he said makes for a lot more paperwork for him to get me the extended warranty from Toyota USA. As you may know, and as this salesman should know (and probably did know), the Avalon is manufacturred in Georgetown, Kentucky and nowhere else, since it was built for the North American market. There is a certain "reputational risk" that a dealership should bear when its salesmen pull such stunts - I would advise anyone to shop elsewhere. Crown Automotive in Lawrence, Kansas is selling me the warranty without the $100 fabricated extra charge, and in fact their quoted price is $10 less than Greenfield at $980.
  • mano3mano3 Member Posts: 8
    For those of you interested in Genuine Toyota Financial Services. (TFS) Platinum plans with no taxes or other fees, I just purchased an 8 year 100K warranty for my 2007 Avalon Ltd. at Molle Toyota in Kansas City, MO. for $1,145. My car has very low mileage (17K after three years) so that was the best deal for me. They have an 8 year 125K mi. but I didn't ask for the price.

www.molletoyota.com

Other plans are:

7 years, 100K, 0 deductible (7/100/0) $960.00

7/75/0 $645.00

6/100/0 $820.00

6/75/0 $540.00

Ask for Neil Hull, and if you can't get him, tell the salesperson he gave you the above quotes several months ago. They should honor the price, even though their current prices may've gone up.

816 942 5200 Ext 139
  • daveinmariettadaveinmarietta Member Posts: 8
    I have purchased several extended warranties. The two below I have liked:

1. "The Choice" - Grade: A. Paid for every expense I had on my Honda Civic (had a $2K transmission replacement - no hassles, some other minor stuff). They first quoted me $1,400, finally got it for $950. 800-839-7940

2. Warranty Finance Company (or SPD). Grade: B. Honda Odyssey. Quoted me $1,900 - got it for $1,235. They have fixed my electrical problems (power windows), but NOT my LCD clock. (don't have the phone number handy at the moment)

WARNING: You MUST meet all the "requirements" of any extended warranty - like changing your oil every 3 months or 3K miles (more than the car manual demands), KEEP all reciepts to prove your maintenance. If you miss an oil change (or standard 30K/60K/90K maintenance), you LOSE THE WARRANTY. And lastly - some of these plans are transferable, some are not.

Suggestion: Join Consumer's Reports online. $12. They have LOTS of info. (NOT Consumer's Digest).
    The warranties that you mention are third-party warranties and many have too many escape clauses for the issuer (insurance company) The manufacturer's warranty is more clear-cut and can be had for comparable costs to the ones you mentioned (or better) if you shop them. There are some references on this site. I bought an 8 year/75000 mile Toyota Platinum level warranty"> for my 2007 Avalon Limited for less than $700 from a Kansas based dealer. I verified its authenticity at my local dealer and it was exactly as represented. Good Luck</b :):)
  • airbossairboss Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a 7 year/75k Toyota Platinum warranty from JR, @ Molle Toyota in Kansas City. Price was $655. He beat everybody else I called by $100.

My local dealer wanted $1375 and told me thought that was a 'fair' price - what did I want to pay?

I got quotes from the following (2007 Avalon Limited, with 33k miles)....

6 yr-75k / 7 year-75k

Andy Mohr Toyota
    Avon, IN
    1250/1375

Troy @ Toyota of Greenfield, MA
    665/760

Acton Toyota, Littleton, MA
    749/xx

Crown Toyota, Lawrence, KS
    650/755

Molle Toyota, Kansas City
    550/655

Thanks JR!
    Good for you! As I had indicated, you MUST shop for a good price on these warranties. My careless neighbor spent $2500 for a Gold level warranty on a Camry 7/75k. I had told him to return it and shop but he ignored my advice. Now he is kicking his own rear-end for his foolish ways. :)
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    Is that Marietta GA. If so welcome neighbor.I am talking to a man in Kansas. I am thinking about buying an extended warranty from him. So your warranty is alright, no problems? Any additional information will help. Thanks,
  • djc1djc1 Member Posts: 13
    I need to purchase a Toyota backed extended warranty for my new Avalon. What Toyota dealer is giving the best deal. My dealer wanted too much money for an extended warranty.

Dennis
    edited January 2011
    Dennis, just review the posts in this topic for the past 2-3 months for your answer. There are several dealerships out there who are giving very good prices on extended warranties. The Midwest Toyota Super store in Hutchison, Kansas, is where I bought mine. Ask for Jerry.
    Jerry is good. All documentation arrived as promised at substantial savings.
    There has been a lot of conversation on this board about Toyota extended warranties, good, bad, where to buy, etc.

When I purchased my 2007 Avalon, my local dealer wanted over $1500 for an extended warranty, so I purchased my 7-75 warranty from the Midwest Toyota Super Store in Hutchison, Kansas for $604. And yes, I did deal with "Jerry".

This past week the CD player died in my vehicle (48K miles). I took it to my local dealer and the radio/CD unit was replaced under the extended warranty at no charge. The Service Manager said it would have cost me around $1300 to replace the unit without the Toyota Platinum Warranty.

I have always had my doubts about extended warranties, but with the complexity of today's vehicles, almost any repair will exceed the warranty cost.
    Most consumer advocates still suggest the Extended Warranty on an otherwise dependable make of car is a waste of money, especially if you trade every three or four years as many owners end up doing. I have always agreed with that... but if you look at the newer models and all the electronics, my opinion is shifting a little. Even though no Honda, Toyota or Nissan we have ever owned would have used the warranty, one Nav screen failure, or a CD repair... there's your warranty money back, plus more, as you point out. If I were replacing my '07 Limited today with a '12 w/Nav... I would probably buy the EW, first time ever.....
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    . . . except you couldn't buy a 2012 Avalon NOW because they have yet to start producing that model year!
    edited October 2011
    True....but sooner or later.... And check out the latest Consumer Reports for a full analysis and comparison of the current Avalon to the Genesis and TL. Interesting reading, all are good cars... different, yes.... but the mag likes 'em all.
  • avalon2013avalon2013 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Guys,

I recently purchased 2013 avalon hybrid, is it worth to have extended warranty & care plus program?
    The popular answer is "no"... you have a good nameplate to begin, it will not have a covered failure within 100k miles. Consumer Reports says they are a waste of money and my extended family with many quality cars proves the magazine correct over the last 20 years. My three Avalons were all perfect, no warranty would have been worth the money.

Now, if you really worry.. buy the peace of mind, enjoy life and the Avalon, no reason not to. But figure the price is money you will never see again. A lesser nameplate on the car may be a different story but Toyota and others such as Honda and Nissan are made to last a long time and be trouble free.

The most likely trouble spot of the future for all cars, my opinion, will be electronics as these parts tend to fail due to time, not mileage. And every year there are more electronic controls than the year before. Some current models are similar to a small plane but without the reliability.... again, you have a personal choice here, do what you are comfortable with and enjoy !!