Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 GMC Yukon Denali Computer Problems

steelrzsteelrz Member Posts: 2
I have owned my 2000 GMC Yukon Denali for about 2 years now and have not had any issues with it. But Saturday as I was driving down the freeway at 65mph it just suddenly quit on me. I merged over to the shoulder and popped the hood, everything looked fine. I tried starting it again a few times and it cranked and cranked but would not fire up. I had it towed to a shop and the shop looked at it but they could not get their diagnostic tool to get any information from the computer. So they figured the computer was fried. They brought it to the dealer, the dealer reprogrammed the computer and it fired right up and worked fine. I then drove it for another day and a half before it did the same thing to me this morning. Does anyone have ANY idea why the computer would keep losing it's programming like this? Up until last Saturday this car fired right up and ran like a champ. HELP !!!

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    So they figured the computer was fried.

If they figured it was fried I am wondering why they didn't replace the chip.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steelrzsteelrz Member Posts: 2
    They thought it was fried, but then it responded to them when they accessed it at the dealer so the dealer put a new program on it and it worked, at least for a day, then it died again.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    I had a 2000 Chevy conversion van that had the exact same problem as you have described. At the time, my dealership also just re-programmed its on-board computer initially; but, I was lucky, my ex-van's engine quit before I even drove it out of the service lot. The entire computer was then replaced and the problem was solved...
  • beckbeck7beckbeck7 Member Posts: 1
    I am now having the exact same problem as you with my 2000 GMC Yukon Denali. What is the status on yours?
  • ptrentptrent Member Posts: 2
    My 96 Yukon whle driving will show erratic tach and speedo and then they will stop working. transmission shifts hard, check engine soon light comes on, gear indicator goes off. Computer codes are transmission codes I'm told. A restart clears tach and speedo, transmission takes a little while to recover. Mechanic thinks bad connection but hasn't found it. Any ideas are welcome.
  • ptrentptrent Member Posts: 2
    The problem with my 96 yukon mentioned above turned out to be in the ignition switch. $500 and all is well, I think
  • tsmith2233tsmith2233 Member Posts: 18
    Sounds like a distributor. I have a 1995 2 dr Tahoe and it stopped all of a sudden on me like that. I waited 15 minutes and it started back up. But, it just got worse and worse...then i took it to a shop and it was the distributor (about 400 bucks). Knowing things changed from 1995 to late 90's on those things, it could be something else. Computer problems don't sound promising...and that could be because the dealership you took it to may have been a small one with little-skilled mechanics or just did a temporary fix. I would say either take it to a major gmc/chevy dealership or see if it starts after an hour or so. It could very well start again and then you know it's the distributor. Hopefully this info will help you in some way.
  • marccristymarccristy Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the fuel pump, and truck still will not start, :sick:

Please help?

thank you
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The first things to check would be the wiring and fuse.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • 1989transamgta1989transamgta Member Posts: 1
    If they replaced the disturbertor and it is still doing it check the module on the back of the disturb. and the plug in. I had a transam and it was all it was. Also check where the coil pack wire harness, should have 2 or 3 wires to it is snapped on completely. Had my car hauled to dealer 4 weeks in a row and it was doing the same thing.If module has been changed check the harness that pluugs in module probally got heated up pretty bad and needs prelaced.
  • broncos98broncos98 Member Posts: 1
    never had an issue with this car before. It has been great! So im driving down the freeway and the engine dies. Instrument panel starts going haywire. coast off the freeway. engine wont crank. windows wont work. radio wont work. running lights stay on. wierd! My first thought and only thought is it has to be the ECM ( computer). I am about to go purchase one and slap it in. Anyone have any input on what else it could possibly be? Thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    broncos98,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on having this fixed at the dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • ssnappssnapp Member Posts: 1
    The ABS light and the brake light both come on intermittently and stay on. Usually about 10-15 minutes after start up.
  • evans13evans13 Member Posts: 1
    Having an issue with my 2000 Yukon Denali, while parked it drains my battery, what could be causing this issue? I purchased a brand new battery and it's draining it quickly, I was told I have approximately 12 volts pulling while I'm parked .... HELP