Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Owners Give Us Your Report

12346»

Comments

• 08enclave08enclave Member Posts: 3
    Glad your car is still running. My 08enclave cxl transmission went out in september with 80,000 miles & warranty was said to run out in july. Gm was happy to offer me half price but after fighting for 2 months they had the dealership I bought it from decide they would fix it again but on the way to pick it up gm called them & said no it wasn't leaving the other dealership, still my car sets at the dealership with gm giving me the run around. In 2010 my 07 gmc acadia slt2 had a $22,000.00 repair which was covered under warranty & was taken care of but its funny that warranty as well ran out 2 months prior to my purchase date. My faith in gm is almost none, always bought a gm product. Came from 2 generations of only owning gm products but strongly considering something else. I don't pay 45,000 to have a pretty car sitting at the dealership while my 3 small kids can't all fit into my other vehicle, but I'm tired of paying 500 a week to get then back & forth to school. Gm has major issues with their transmission with the 321 plate going bad, why hadn't this been already recalled? Who else feels like the 08enclave enclave cxl is junk. If they can't guarantee 100,000 miles & can't guarantee their work in less than a year I don't need gm.
    Glad to have found you. My issue is with the transmission although I'm under the 100,000 miles they claim my car was 2 months out of warranty. Gm stated that their warranties start once they are built but then told me once it gets to the lot & another told me once the 1st owner purchase date. My 07 acadia slt2 was purchased in july of 07 but my warranty ran out in may 2012 exactly 2 months early. my transmission was worked on in nov 2011 by september it was broke down a 150$ replacement of the 321 plate is now a 4000$ repair with me paying 2800 or 1800 depending on everything. If aamco can guarantee 3 years why can't gm at least do a year? So tired of gm jerking me around would love to get in contact with you & anyone else experiencing problems with their 08enclave & gm. :mad:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning 08enclave,

If you haven't gotten a Service Request started on this with Customer Service already and would like for us to check into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a brief recap of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • stanlo2012stanlo2012 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 CXL FWD and I am somewhat happy with the vehicle but am having many of the issues stated as others in the forum, to include a couple of new ones. I purchased this as a GM certified used vehicle with 28,000 miles on it from a local dealer.
    I will list my pros and cons -
    Pros - Good styling, roomy interior, comfortable seats, relatively quiet (was at first), fair gas mileage for such a large vehicle, lots of hauling space, easy to fold down rear third row seats. Cons - Rear hatch strut opening mechanism failed at 38K miles; Black vinyl appliques on the door posts came unglued - dealer replaced under warranty. New ones are showing signs of bubbling again; Gas mileage has decreased significantly - was getting 17.4 city/21.2 hwy, now down to 16.8 city/ 18.6 highway...car seems to be more sluggish now. Had it to dealer twice and they couldn't find a problem (of course) and charged me to hook up to the computer so I am weary of taking it back any more times and them charging me to not find my problem; Car was whisper quiet when I first got it at 28K miles, now have 62k miles and I am getting a loud exhaust noise under slight acceleration coming from the engine compartment sort of an exhaust leak. Had it to dealer, of course couldn't find an issue. What a shame; Driver's side seat seems to have some "play" in it when you accelerate or stop, it feels like it moves about 1/4 inch or so. May be some slop in the seat track; Transmission has a very quick 2nd to 3rd upshift. So much so, that it bogs down because it changes gears so quickly. And yes, remarkably, the dealer put it on the computer and couldn't find anything. Really? I hope this isn't indication of the transmission about to fail, as many others have experienced. I have also developed the steering wheel clunking noise some have discussed on the forum too.
    I love the car, but am seriously thinking about trading it off before it falls apart. I want to buy American but with build quality like this, I think I will go with an import again. GM should address all these problems and issue recalls on them where the owners won't get soaked by the dealerships for repairing these issues that GM knows are pretty commonplace. Now that would be excellent customer service.
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    I hope you had the good sense to purchase a GM extended warranty, especially with a used car!
    Try to remember, all machines fail at some point, and the more complex they are, the greater their failure rate. This is the value of an extended warranty...from GM, of course. Many dealers will only accept a GM warranty.
    I think it's crap that you get charged to have a car under warranty diagnosed, I had a dealership tell me it was $75& wasn't sure if I would get my money back, I told them no thanks & tried driving it an hour away, but about half way there my 07 acadia broke a timing chain stretching the other 2, needless to say it was towed to the dealership with a 22,000 dollar repair. Later I found out that the machine that tempers the plates had broke leaving me with a defective parts. So when I bought my 08enclave I stressed my concerns when the transmission was acting funny & under warranty was suppose to have been fixed, but less than a year later & more than 4 months left on what I was told the warranty ran out, my transmission was broke. I called gm first they said it was out if warranty. I went to aamco for them to hook it up told me transmission is definitely bad to take it to the dealer which didn't cost one penny & if they fixed it, it comes with a 3 year warranty. I didn't make it 20 minutes away before the transmission lost drive, luckily I only had 2 of my children with me. Gm has been jerking me around on getting it fixed, they feel like me paying half is more then fair, but if it wasn't worked on less than a year prior & if I wasn't told my warranty had longer than it did & also if my previous car warranty didn't run out a magical number 2 months early same as this one was supposedly out of warranty half would be more fair at 2 months out. If you think it's the transmission try aamco they check it for free, but I would find a new gm dealership if they can't seem to find any problems, especially if you live in morristown, tn. I've complained with gm about their service department, but it doesn't do any good. I use to have a gm dealership less than a mile away, great place, but a few years ago it became just a dodge place. The chevy place right down the road was going to have to send their boys to school for 2 weeks & then it was going take 2nd weeks to fix the 07 acadia in 2010, it amazes me after 3 years they still didn't know much about them. I really like the enclave but gm needs to step up to the plate & fix all their problems
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with your Enclave. I too had an '08 Enclave with about 40,000 miles on it after 4 years. I had ordered it in June '07 and took delivery in September '07. I always had it serviced by a GM dealer and never had a problem with it. So, how does this help you? Check you warranties. Just about all GM products have a 7 year warranty on the drive-train...check if it covers the transmission. Again, you should have purchased an extended GM warranty. If you're having a problem with the current dealer, try another one. The dealer to whom I purchased my Enclave closed shortly after I leased mine. I finally went to a Chevy dealer who gave me excellent service. I guess dealers are like doctors...some good and some bad.
    As I've stated so many times in the past, be very careful when you buy a used car. If you don't know the previous owner, be ever so careful. There are many flood cars out there. Forget what Car-fax or any of these companies say, it's so easy for shady companies to hide the titles by transferring them from state-to-state.
    Oh, and I can't believe that you paid $22,000 for a repaired transmission...did you mean $2,200?
    I'm sure that if there's anything that can get done by GM that "Tricia" at GM Customer Service will advise you.
    Again, sorry to hear of your troubles.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    stanlo2012,
    If you wanted for us to follow up on any of the "cons" you've listed please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, a brief summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • stagerlistagerli Member Posts: 1
    Where should i start? Hmm! Took car home and right from the start there were issues. Simple doors were not aligned and seal on door trim wasnt even glued in properly never had a tight seal. That was the first sign this was a poorly built vehicle. Engine light came on within three months, in fact it seems to come on every three months . Coils were replaced. Timing belt was replaced. Then coils replaced again , missing like crazy. Then front end rack and steering pump replaced , in fact they had to do it twice because it was not fixed. Car has not handled the same since . Just recently had three coils replaced again as well as all plugs since car was again running rough. I have had every coil replaced once and a few twice. Check engine light now on again for catalytic converter. Now rear hatch will not stay up and shuts as soon as it hits fully open with some loud noises. Its a shame this is my 6th GM SUV and the first one i have had crazy issues with. I guess i need to stick to foreign cars as i do with my sedans.
  • newtmnewtm Member Posts: 1
    My daughter and son-in-law purchased a new 2008 Enclave on June 27, 2007. They have had more than normal problems with the vehicle, many that are posted on this forum.

They are both very busy, and do not have time to pursue trying to obtain restitution from GM. I am retired, and have plenty of time to develop the line of communication necessary to present the request for a policy adjustment (I have obtained three policy adjustments from GM, for problems occurring beyond the warranty period for the vehicle. Two of these PA's were for my Le Sabre, and one was for my Grandson's Malibu.)

I am preparing to pursue a request to GM, but I noticed on this forum that some posts are answered by GM representatives, and I am wondering if this method was faster, and required less work, on my part. I do not see where the GM representative actually obtained restitution, or if it was obtained what I need to do to start the procedure.

If I can obtain the desired results please inform me how to start.
  • barnzoboybarnzoboy Member Posts: 4
    Bought my 2008 Buick Enclave in October of 2011 as a "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle from a GM dealer. Worked fine for the first year, the length of the CPO warranty. Now my Enclave is experiencing the lemon-like problems described on these boards. I've already gone through the leaky sunroof/moonroof fiasco.

Now at 64,500 mile, the engine light comes on, along with "check traction control", "check stabilitrak" which are ancillary warnings for timing chain or other cylinder head failure. GM dealer computer warning comes back as "Cam shaft end play" but they can't diagnose anything specific until they tear down the engine at a cost of $1,500. What's been hilarious to me is both the local dealer and the GM rep on the phone are questioning why I haven't changed the oil in 17,000 miles like I'm an idiot. Fact is, I am following the computerized on-board system which tells me when to change the oil and when it says to change it, I get it done. Apparently post-2008 they did a recall on the oil life feedback system, but didn't do that on my 2008 model. I'm debating on whether to get the car fixed or simply park it across from the dealership with the word "LEMON" painted on the side.
  • biggerfoot1biggerfoot1 Member Posts: 5
    Check my message 157
  • i11inii11ini Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed lately that the battery voltmeter on the dash is varying from less than 13 v to about 14.5 v or so. I know they are not calibrated, but I think the charging system should vary over a volt while driving.

I have a 2008 Buick Enclave CXL FWD and all the options. It has 46,000 miles on it. Seems like it just started doing this recently. I am calling today for a service appointment.

BTW when the meter shows around 13 v, I measure 12.8 v with a multimeter.

Anyone else seeing this? This is the only problem I have had with this vehicle.

Thanks! Joe
  • barnzoboybarnzoboy Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info biggerfoot1, I will try those things first.

Wondering though if you experienced low engine oil volumes as part of the problem? My dealer said my engine oil was 2 quarts low.
  • doudadouda Member Posts: 3
    I am sorry to hear about all of your problems with the Enclave but you did save me over $40K by cancelling my Enclave purchase and going with Toyota Highlander instead. The Buick looks nice but these issues and the GM nonesense has cost them my business. Once more, thanks for posting all of these problems online for us perspective buyers. Happy 4th of July!
  • ndn11ndn11 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I purchased my 2010 Buick Enclave at the end of 2010. We have 4 kids and thought that this was a good fit with the bucket seats and 3rd row that seats 3.

1st thing was the outlets. They did not work. I have had them repaired by the dealer 4 times. I have no idea what the problem is but now we just don't use them. This is not good as we have phones and other "kid" things to charge.

2nd thing is the Ipod Plug is loose and I have to jiggle the wire to get the sound to come out. I now that soon it will not work also.

3rd last winter 2012 the water pump had cracked. That was a $800 repair. I was told that the fluid that Buick uses creates cracks.

4th thing was the engine kept reducing power so I took it in and the gas and brake peddles were sending a signal that something was wrong. This is not a repair item this is a replace the entire peddle system. This was $1200

5th thing the trunk motor broke. This was very scary as it went up and then would slam down and did not "read" that there was anything or anyone below it. This also caused the back up camera to sometimes work and sometimes not. $60 for motor have not had camera looked at.

6th thing is the tire sensor is saying it needs replacing. $100

At this point I feel like we have a lemon. I was so excited that we were not going to have to get a van, or a big gas car but now I want to get rid of this car.
  • gmnotagaingmnotagain Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a brand new Buick Enclave in 2008. I have 70,000 miles on the car over the last 5 years. I have had the car at the Buick dealer over 10 times. Prior to 30,000 miles I had 2 ac compressors, 2 rack and pinion steering replacements, transmission work, 4 climate control cover replacements, 1 seat belt cover replacement on the drivers side, window motor replaced on back passenger window.

Now I am at 70,000 miles and out of warranty. I just had the 2 front struts and mounts replaced, new battery, new water pump (thank goodness that was on a recall, but I did not hear that until I took it to the service department and thought I was out $500), now the kicker...$4000 for new head cylinder.

My owner opinion of the 2008 Buick Enclave... DO NOT PURCHASE ONE. I have also vowed that I am done with all GM products.
  • denver_noobdenver_noob Member Posts: 1
    agreed
  • yepjimmynyyepjimmyny Member Posts: 2

I hope you've learned a important lesson: never buy a car on first year release. If you really like it, just lease it.
    I've had 2011 and now 2014 Enclaves and didn't have mechanical problems at all. I loved the quiet cabin & smooth ride, but don't like the gas consumption on Enclave.

• paulj5paulj5 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014

My wife and me purchased a 2010 Buick Enclave CXL-2 AWD, 8 pass., on 9-22-09. Now have 49,000 miles on it and just paid it off! Yay. My wife loves this car and after 5 years, she still loves it. It has been fairly trouble free. We received a recall notice some years ago about leaking water pumps and recently the seat belt soldering recall. I took in to the Buick dealer one hour away from us where we had purchased it. The week before I noticed abnormal wear on the right front tire and took it to our local tire shop for a four wheel alignment, which seemed to correct the high speed vibration, but did not cure the "clunking" sound when turning the wheel at low speeds and a seemingly whiny power steering motor. When I arrived at the Buick GMC dealer for the recall fixes, I was informed by the service advisor that the power steering had a leak and most likely the rack was toast; and engine oil leak on the right side of the engine; and the water pump was indeed leaking and would need replacement (under a GM "special coverage" deal).
    I have to say I was a bit stunned by the failed steering rack and leaking engine (Water pump - not so much). Fortunately, my GMPP extended warranty covered the engine oil leak repair and steering rack replacement. My car was down for a week and I had a rental car. The dealer service was great and we have the car back now and the burning water smell and the clunking steering are gone. And the engine oil seep was also corrected. Our GMPP warranty expires 9-22-14 and after reading some of the other horror stories here from other Enclave owners, I wonder if I should purchase for $2600 a GM-approved extended warranty that my dealer is recommending?
    We will have this car for 3-4 more years, as we had my wife's previous car (01 Pontiac Montana)
    for 8 years. Any thoughts? The GMPP extended warranty cannot be extended. I wish it could. We still love the car.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2014

@paulj5, the GMPP extended warranty can't be extended or another one purchased since you can only buy it when you buy a GM car, right?

I'm curious too about the "GM approved" extended warranty. This dealer site indicates that the only GM approved extended warranty (aka service contract) is the GMPP one.

It sounds like your basic warranty was 4 years/50,000 miles so the GMPP did get used for the rack. The leak and water pump may have been covered under your 5/100 drivetrain warranty though. What I'm getting at is weighing the cost of the extended warranty vs simply setting aside $2,600 for unexpected repairs. You may have overpaid for the GMPP warranty if all it really covered was the rack (okay, getting a rental car is a nice benefit too) .

The answer to the question of whether you need an extended warranty depends on how well you sleep at night not being "covered".

I drive my cars forever and have never paid for an extended warranty. I've had a couple of $1,500 repairs, but when you spread those big bills over a lot of years (15 in my case), the annual cost isn't so bad.

If you want an extended warranty, I'd double check to be sure the one the dealer is offering is really backed by GM. If not, I'd probably pass on it. If it is a GM backed warranty, then ask your dealer what their best price is. There's typically a lot of markup on these.

Note that you aren't limited to your selling dealer if you decide to get a third party extended warranty (or a GM one, if there is one still available to you) - the rub is getting cooperation from the dealer who ultimately works on your Enclave to get reimbursement from the third party warranty company. There's plenty of horror stories around about aggravation and delay getting the dealer paid or yourself reimbursed.

• emardiniemardini Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2008 Enclave with 113000 miles on it, I took it for inspection and it has oil leaks in the front timing cover, the rear seal and is leaking in the steering gear. The dealer (Perry Buick in Norfolk) is charging me a ridiculously high amount of money to repair these leaks: $3000, Other than that I will need to replace struts ($650) and axle ($650).

To fix my steering pump noise they are charging $1300, way too much!!

I should say that I feel like the dumbest person in the world for having purchased this car. I have a Hyundai with more than 1700000 miles and none os f this issues.

What is your advise? What should I do?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is working on a story about car shoppers who are only interested in buying cars that are made in the USA. If you're one of these shoppers, and you'd like to talk about your experience shopping for American-made vehicles, please reach out to PR @edmunds.com by no later than Thursday, September 15, 2016.
  • psforsythepsforsythe Member Posts: 2
    I got a 2010 Buick Enclave back in December, made my 1st payment in January. It went in shop for tire pressure sensor..3xs. They changed them sensors and it did it again. So after 1 1/2 months of being in the shop more than I was driving it, I made appointment to have it seen again, but in meantime I was going to my brothers funeral and my car blew up. Was told they could put it on diagnostics and check it out if I have it towed there..mind you they said that the 30 day warranty(WHEW) was out and I do not have extended warranty n it would come out of my pocket..1st off..BUICK YOU MAKE PIECES OF CRAP...2ND..That is why they ask you if you wanna take out extra warranty for an extra 130.00 monthly..like I can afford that..bcuz they know about these cars...3rd...they(CRAPPY CARMAX) oughta extend their warranty by 90 days..,after all it does REFLECT BAD ON THEM. 
    ANYHOW, I guess the lemon law only applies to newer cars, NOT OURS...IT OUGHTA APPLY TO EVERYONE, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE CAR IS IN SHOP MORE THAN YOUR DRIVING IT!!!
    SO IF YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO IS THINKING OF GETTING A BUICK OR GOING THRU CARMAX...TELL THEM TO THINK AGAIN...