Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Navigation System

13»

Comments

• rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Use the mapnsoft.com instructions to find out what version you have. The new version is from early 2009. Glad it's working better for you.
  • HyundaiisBestHyundaiisBest Member Posts: 8
    Well I've tried two of the best car stereo guys in phoenix and they both agree.. There is no way to bypass the Video/park lock scenario on the lg NAV DVD unit and there is no way to add a direct ipod hookup or controller. Sold my NAV unit on ebay for $500 and switched to a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, the second generation. I put the Avic-Z3 in my truck and love it. looks like a factory install and all the nav functions and voice activation works great and sound great with the infinity speakers. I can hook an ipod and an iphone up at the same time and play dvd's while the engine is running LG admits the shortcoming on that unit but it was only used in 08 and they are not upgrading any firmware, ever. the mapnsoft update was an expensive joke and really not needed, but luckily I returned it and got my $$ back by disputing on my credit card.If you do keep the lg unit in your car, DO NOT bother with the new mapnsoft update, we have roads in phoenix that have been built for 3 years and are still not in their database..GARMIN THEY ARE NOT
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    It's my understanding people HAVE bypassed the lockout for the DVD on this portless crippled POS beast.

That Pioneer looks insanely amazing. Saw some vids on it last week and was like... "wow". If you could post some pics of that install - that would be interesting.

Are you running your iPhone vids on it? I assume it has RCA video inputs in the back to allow porting of apps on the screen.

I have concern about adding a new head unit with losing Logic7 and being forced to change the speakers, etc. Did you have to change the speakers? I'm curious as to what the differences in sound are.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    LisaD...you can change the head unit and not have to worry about changing the speakers. You also will not lose the Logic7 functionality of the amp. Actually....that is the very reason I didn't bypass the factory amp in my Azera when I swapped out my head unit. By swapping head units out you not only keep your current Logic7 capability, you can add USB port, more & better sound shaping controls and added expandability.

You can set the settings on the aftermarket head unit to accomodate the fact you still have the factory speakers in place.
  • msazzyindcmsazzyindc Member Posts: 118
    I have not been on here in a while, so has anyone figured out or found a unit that I can replace my current xm/nav system with one that will allow me to keep the XM/NAV/DVD and add a ipod connector? I'm willing to bite the bullet and spend the money.

Sheesh you would think by now, with all these people who can hack and do harm, someone would make something that people would actually buy. :mad:
  • parrotsquawkparrotsquawk Member Posts: 28
    I posted the pinouts and pin-ins on the back of my nav unit but no one mentioned anything. aside from the 24 and 32 pin connections there are two other connections in the back on the upper left that I have not been able to identify. I don't have contacts back in Korea at LG to get information and LG USA hasn't answered my questions.
    Msazzyindc...there are plenty of products out there you can purchase to suit your needs.

All of these units are in-dash nav units, the first two come with bluetooth built in, all can be expanded to have XM/Sirius, iPod connectivity. Of course, you can also order and adapter via PAC1 that will allow you to maintain your steering wheel controls as well. It really boils down to how much you want to spend. One thing I can guarantee is that you will get much better sound and better control of your music.

Eclipse AVN-62D

Pioneer AVIC-U310BT

Kenwood DNX-5140
    Parrotsquawk, I saw your posting and didn't respond because I don't have an answer for you. The only time I dealt with the pins in the harness was when Scosche needed to get the configuration right so that the OEM amp would turn on. I've also never dealt with the Azera nav system either. You may need to find a really good aftermarket car audio shop and see if someone there can assist you with what you're seeking. Sorry I can't be of further assistance.
    Of all the in-dash replacement units I have seen for my 2009 Limited, I have yet to find one that has satellite radio functionality of my 4 year old PNP Sirius Sportster. It has a remote, a display mode to show what is on 10 channels (either sequentially in the list or by category) and a game alert for when my favorite teams are playing. Also, the GPS system does not allow the input of waypoints so it can be a bit difficult to plan a complex route, other than entering each destination sequentially. The lack of Bluetooth integration is a glaring oversight as well.

When I looked at some 2 din replacements, however, some did offer DVD/Blu-ray/Rear Seat output/backup camera input but none of the sites show actual functionality of these units in real life situations: show me how to change channels, how to enter destinations, how to make phone calls, etc...you would think the manufacturer would be happy to show these videos!

At this time, I am not ready to plunk down 1500 for an audio upgrade. I am saving my money to buy a driver's seat from Australian Grandeur (their version of the Azera) for the passenger side to give it full power adjustment and lumbar control as well as the inside door panel and memory controller. I am also saving up for a parking assist package (also offered in Australia for this model.) The Grandeur even has a funky roof rack and an available eco-diesel engine! http://www.caradvice.com.au/20730/2009-hyundai-grandeur-crdi-review/
    Well...considering you're comparing apples to oranges...it's not fair. Maybe you need to spend some time evaluating the various in-dash units on the market. I'm sure you would find one that would suit your needs. Not sure what you mean by lack of Bluetooth integration, all three models I posted earlier allow for Bluetooth integration.

Good luck finding a site that shows you any in-dash unit being used in real-world settings. Your best bet maybe to look on You Tube.

Not sure why you would plunk down $1500 for an audio upgrade, my complete system upgrade (head unit, all door speakers, center channel speaker, 2 10" subs and amp to run them) came in well under $1000. There are clearly models out there for at least half (and less) that will address all the features you woudl really need.

Sounds like you're getting ready to dump a whole lof of money into your car that won't help resale value in any way. You're better off saving up your money and getting the Equus when it comes out if power passenger seat is that important to you.

A roof rack on the Azera/Grandeur... :confuse:

In the end, it boils down to what a particular person wants and feels they need. The posting of the in-dash nav units wasn't exactly for you, as Msazzyindc had asked me about some units that would give her what she was looking for. It sounds to me like you really just need the upgraded Infinity sound system and you can carry around your 4 year old PNP Sirius Sportster and be quite happy.
    Ok... point by point.

1. I was referring to the lack of BT on the factory LGE POI NAV HU in the Limited WITH the Infinity sound package.

2. I would love to try all these HU's but I have yet to find an aftermarket stereo store around here in West Palm Beach that have radios connected to a satellite source.

3. I have looked on YT and have not found videos that show satellite radio operation.

4. the 1500 was a just a number pulled out of my GMO (gluteus maximus oriface)

5. The power seat is not an issue just a thought because my wife asked me if it was available (she likes the lumbar support)

6. I scratched my head at the roof rack too. It is designed for snowboards, surfboards and bike racks but it looks like it could handle a few painter's ladders too or some plumber's pipes.

7. I have connected my 4 year old PNP and found a somewhat quiet FM frequency. I wonder if I can use the line out from the PNP to interrupt the XM Audio in signal coming to pins 4 and 20 of the 32 pin connector on the back of the radio since I don't intend on subscribing to XM (I have a lifetime Sirius subscription.)
    Then I would be happy enough. I just have to figure out how to replace the XM/GPS antenna with a Sirius/GPS module. Perhaps something from Ford, MB or Chrysler...
    Okay...I'm on the same page as you now. :blush:

Lack of Bluetooth sorta had everyone scratching their head.

The one store that does connect their HU's to a satellite source is Walmart, however...they don't carry double din units.

I put the You Tube thing out there simply because you can find almost anything out there, wasn't really sure if there was or not...sorry.

You would easily spend $1500 if you took it to an audio shop and got it from them.

I never understood why car companies never take the front passenger's comfort into consideration. I mean...if a couple goes on a long trip, shouldn't the passenger seat be just as comfortable as the driver's seat? Who knows what they were thinking when they make that decision.

I'm still trying to imagine an Azera rolling down the road with a roof rack. Guess it seems odd because I just haven't seen one. I've seen other cars with them, but not an Azera.

Sounds like something you could try and see what happens. As far as the antenna issue, you may need to run a separate one and mount it on your trunk lid or something. Considering the low profile some have now, it wouldn't even be seen that much if you went that route.
    What do you think of splicing into the XM Audio in as a replacement for the FM modulator option? I imagine that I can't fake the CAN BUS inputs but how about the audio signal alone?

As an aside...

My dad's 04' Maybach does not have BT but has a V60 hardwired to the radio. When I contacted Maybach (Becker actually) they said they could replace it with the newer unit...for $4,000.00....
    The satellite radio has no remote nor a way to input a channel directly. It has a lousy radio information display and control system too...but for 300k+ you do get massaging driver and passenger seats with 10 way power (including the headrests!), 5 memory positions and heating (but no cooling like his Navigator had...)
    You would be splicing the Sirius unit into the XM input???

Sometimes...it's funny how cars are put together and what they come with...in regards to the price paid.
    Yes. The connector appears to have two sets of leads back to the STU in the trunk. One to control the unit and one to take the audio out. I have to get the specs on the STU itself which may take a while. If so I may be able to put an AUX jack in that will disable the XM signal to the HU.

:mad:
    PARTIAL FUNCTIONALITY WILL BE RESTORED! IT IS A MORAL IMPERATIVE! :mad:
    Seems like you could save a lot of time and effort and simply tie in via an FM modulator, or simply purchase an aftermarket unit that offers Sirius and sign that unit up to your account. Would save the hassle of trying to figure out how to by-pass the OEM XM source.
    Too easy :)

I just hate FM Modulator options as I always seem to hit areas that clobber them...but that may be the only way to do it.

It's more of "damn it, this shouldn't be this hard" -itis.

But the Kenwood DNX9140 does look quite sweet.....

Are all GPS antenna connections the same? If so could I just replace the bug on the roof with a Sirius/GPS antenna unit (perhaps something from MB/Ford/Chrysler?)

What kind of mods to the harness would be needed to tie into the Infinity and steering wheel controls?
    I figured you would say that. LOL

As detestable as the modulator option may be, sometimes...it's the best solution if you don't want to get a unit with satellite radio incorporated. If you do, just spend a little extra money and get a really good FM modulator.

The Kenwood DNX-9140 definitely looks like a sweet unit and that would be an option where you'll spend closer to $2000 for the unit and installation (unless you do it yourself).

I'm not sure if the connections are the same, however...in some cases I would say yes because like the Kenwood unit...it can handle either XM or Sirius, depending on the package you purchase to connect to it. I'm not sure if it's just an antenna you get or an antenna and a tuner. I would think a tuner as it would have to interpret the signal received by the antenna.

No mods would need to be made, you can actually purchase an adaptor that will allow you to utilize the steering wheel controls. The company that makes them is call PAC Swix...Universal Steering Wheel Control Adapter
    The install seems straight forward (from videos I have seen) I am trying to find the instructions for doing the install myself. I know I have to install the SCC1 unit and run an antenna. I hear that the XM antennas are not satisfactory for Sirius reception. I also want to make sure that the Kenwood can accompdate HD radio as well as Sirius at the same time. I understand some units can do one or the other but don't have connections for two to be set up.
    The install really is pretty easy.

The easiest way to find about the satellite and HD issue, contact Kenwood directly. They are usually pretty good about answering questions.
    Allmet, as I said many times before, and in the post you replied to, I want to KEEP, my existing unit and buy sometype of connecter to hook up my ipod. Im not sure how much clearer I can get, because I've said the same thing since last year.
    I just received an email showing the 2011 sonata, and BOY is my mouth watering for THAT car. It is really up my alley, although I was eyeing the Genesis, bu now, I may just down grade to the 2011 sonata, boy is it sweet. :blush:
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    I got the email yesterday, too. You can search for the 2011 Sonata on Google and see some great pics!
    Mzazzy...I'm very aware of what you want to do and I have posted solutions of every nature. I have provided every possible scenario for you to achieve iPod integration to your factory sound system. That didn't seem what you wanted so I also provided you information about going with an aftermarket unit that will control an iPod directly. The choice is yours to make.

Let's go back over them...

The simplest solution that won't require you to pull apart your dash is to get a wireless FM modulator that plugs into your 12V outlet/cigarette lighter outlet and follow the instructions that come with the unit. The downside to this is that the sound may suffer a bit.

The next is to purchase and FM modulator that you hard wire into the antenna of your factory radio and you can play your iPod through that. The sound quality will be better than a wireless modulator, but it requires you to pull the factory radio out to access the antenna lead and also run the wiring.

If I can't be any clearer than that, I'm sorry...maybe you just need a new car.

P.S. If you love the 2011 Sonata that's coming out, you may wanna wait and see what the next generation of the Azera will offer as it will be based on the newer VG platform like Kia's upcoming Cadenza. Just a lil FYI.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    @allmet,

Another iPod option would be to use the Griffin iTrip FM modulator. There's a hack for it that would allow it to be set to the 'International' mode (search the comments on Amazon for that). With the International mode, he can select the 87.9 frequency which is clear throughout the N American airwaves.

(The reason 87.9 is clear throughout N. America is because FCC has mandated that no commercial station broadcast at that frequency or below. Since the 'International' mode on Griffin ITrip removes that restriction, you can have a clear & interference free frequency throughout US, Canada & Mexico. Also, Azera's radios DO tune to 87.9 & so it works!)
    Wobbly...you are absolutely right. My purpose of the posting was to give the options that are out there. Under each...there are a variety to choose from...the choice is hers.

Even though 87.9 isn't used in the U.S. the fact that the unit is wireless will still present a loss on signal quality, in some cases...it may not be noticeable, but I don't want to leave the impression that it's the option that allows for best signal quality should that be an issue to the poster.

At this point, the poster just needs to make a choice that she feels will best suit her needs. Considering it's been over a year, it doesn't really seem to be that pressing an issue to be honest.
    @allmet,

Completely agree with you. Wireless FM modulation, even on a clear channel, leads to quite severe degradation which would be unacceptable to many. If you're listening to something like, say, Podcasts or Audiobooks, it would okay. But you'd be missing a lot of fidelity over music.

Unfortunately for the poster, the 2 options you listed are the only ones possible & neither is perfect.

Hyundai should have given atleast an AUX port. C'mon, it was 2006-2007 already, not 1985!
    @ allmet,

On the Kia's Cadenza. I personally prefer Kia's new styling over Hyundais now. The Germanic design language in Soul, Forte & Cadenza seems so much elegant. I thought I'd never say this, but it seems Kia's rushing past it's bigger sibling!

Sibling rivalry is GOOD!!
    Oh yeah, there is another option I mentioned quite a while back...if she has the factory unit that has the cassette deck in it, then she can also purchase the unit that plays through the cassette deck. The only thing I hate about those units is the unsightly wires hanging out of the radio.

Well...we see the styling of Hyundai vehicles changing as well. I'm curious to see how the Cadenza styling will affect the future Azera (if one should come out). Hyundai has already changed the tail end of the Genesis to mimic the styling the upcoming Equus.

I'm really starting to see Hyundai/Kia as the Korean version of Lincoln/Ford...something I stated a long, long time ago and wasn't welcomed as a legitimate thought.
  • lostagainlostagain Member Posts: 9
    Page 29 of my Hyundai Azera manual states,"Up to 20 previous destinations are stored in the list, and you can register or DELETE PARTICULAR LISTINGS AT ANY TIME." How do you delete these someone please tell me? I have tried with no cigar. Please tell this idiot the EXACT procedure and do not assume anything. Mapandsoft.com was of no help either. Thanks
  • lostagainlostagain Member Posts: 9
    If anyone is curious, I finally did get an answer from "LG" . The manual is wrong in that you cannot delete previous destinations, UNLESS you want to do a complete reset. That will wipe out ALL user input info. Like Restoring your PC to original factory settings. However ...since the previous destination "cue" or "folder" holds only 20 items and you generate number 21, it goes to the front and the oldest one is dumped or goes to never never land. Whee!
  • bulldog65bulldog65 Member Posts: 2
    My factory installed Infiniti sound system has the JBL 93670-3L400 outboard amp--it suddenly goes out or starts to crackle,pop,hiss or 'thunder'-scares the hell out of us---I thought it was the factory reciever-bought a replacement from Crutchfield--same problem...does anybody have a good used one for sale? My Azera is an '09 Limited...I can't find any amp that will be an exact replacement that will accept the two multi wire male plugs to the JBL amp...I am 65 and don't care about heavy sounds or overly loud music....just having a radio/XM that works....thanks so much..
    You may wish to contact Harman Kardon's OEM dept (parent company of Infinity/JBL). I know another Azera owner that was unhappy with the amp performance, he contacted them and they sent him a replacement. Sorry to hear of your issue. I've got an '06 with the Infinity sysytem and its still going strong (the amp that is). I've swapped out all the other compoments for after-market a long time ago, but couldn't part with the OEM amps center channel capability. Good luck.
  • bulldog65bulldog65 Member Posts: 2
    Almet33--thanks for that advice--I'll try to track down the website....I can't believe this amp went out..it's in the power circuit I'm sure the transistors are heating up-cycling-cooling down...so frustrated--just wish somebody had a good used one that would sell me -cheap! I don't want to put an aftermarket one in and start splicing wires,etc.----Thanks...Bulldog65
    If you look up the main website, call the Customer Support number and ask for the OEM dept.

Problem is, I don't know of anyone that pulled the OEM amp.
  • faiqfaiq Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    I just brought new AZERA GLS 2012 from first motor Bahrain before booking there didn't show me the car features but told me full option and mid-option and finally I booked my CAR b/c I saw that car on road it look very nice.
    Before Azera I was using Sonata 2009 but when I was AZERA 2012 head light and DVD system, blue LED light on the dashboard....I became a crazy to buy this car even my wife also told me you are too much excited...!
    Finally got my AZERA 2012 in Black berry color......I love this car.. is a great car but only is not good...I spend too much amount to buy AZERA but didn't know the AZERA GLS it come with very low option like it does not has DVD/navigation system,no Blue LED on dashboard,no cooling seat system even they sale this car in Gulf region. now I am very upset that my has no DVD,navigation back camera or even no blue LED light on dashboard.... these all features should come in this amount.....please do the needful!!!!!
  • kuechjakuechja Member Posts: 2

RE:31
    How are you getting this conflicting information?
    Is it rumor or fact?

• kuechjakuechja Member Posts: 2
    Corresponding with the maker of my 2010 Azeraav system I have found out that the Nav system can not and will not be updated. Hyundai has canceled the contracts to update the system and has not even attempted to find another company to do the update. So here am I stuck with a Nav system that is going more and more out of date and can not be updated. What that will do to the value of the car can not be good. Thus far the response from Hyundai has been "We are sorry this has happened" and following my response to that "We will research this and get back to you in a couple of weeks." So I am waiting but an Avalon, Lexus 350 or C class Mercedes are starting to look a lot better than a Genesis.
This discussion has been closed.