Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Transmission Problems

Comments

• mustang2k6mustang2k6 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used '06 V6 auto with 30,000 miles on it last week. When test driving it there were no problems. However, today when I was driving it on the expressway going about 70-75 mph I noticed a clunking noise coming from the car. After reading a lot of posts where people seemed to have similar problems I wanted to ask if anyone thinks it might be a transmission related issue? Has anyone had a similar issue, or know what might be causing this?

It seemed like if I put my foot on the gas to accelerate (even gently) the noise would stop, however if I was coasting (when I take my foot off the gas or hold a constant speed between 70 and 75mph) it would make this rattling/clunking noise.

According to the carfax for the car, the transmission was just replaced at 28k miles, so thats why I really wonder if a brand new transmission would have problems.

Also, another question I wanted to ask all you Mustang owners is, when you start the car does the engine kind of shake or rumble? Is this normal? Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this; this is my first sports car/Mustang so I don't really know much yet.
  • skvp1skvp1 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought this car new June 2009. Three days later I notice a clunking sound when shifting at low RPM from 1st to 2nd. I drove a Honda Prelude for 13 years and never heard a cluncking sound with my manual.

First Ford told me they didn't hear it. Today they said they heard it and it is normal due to shifting at low RPM. They purposely put play in there otherwise the rear end would rear out prematurely. It's due to shifting at low RPM.

I just hopped on this site tonight and read a few posts. Is there an auto mechanic out there that can tell me if this crap? Sorry, but I haven't read a lot of posts.

I'm going back next week (I haven't even had this car for a month) and test drive another "new" one on their lot and see how it sounds.
  • tammy12tammy12 Member Posts: 12
    it sure seems like edmonds would forward all these issues to ford so they can do a recall on these cars.. my 06 v6 5 speed manual convertible is now almost 2 years old and i still have clunking at low rpms.. and ive brought it in several times. ive heard it all.. including i just dont know how to drive a 5 speed.. im 41 and almost all of my 17 cars new and used were 5 speeds.. then they said all 5 speeds sound like that but i had seepage of sound into the cab of the car so they changed a boot to keep the sound out of the car.. believe me ive had enough and that was the first and last time i buy a car without test driving.. i ordered the car from another state to get the one i want.. i should have stuck with a lincoln, tammy
    Did you have that clunking sound when it was new or did it show up later?
  • tammy12tammy12 Member Posts: 12
    from new!!
  • browneyes2blubrowneyes2blu Member Posts: 16
    ive own 2 gt tang.thy both done it.i still have the 08,the 07 i was so ashame to drive it it sounded so bad.i havent got no answer from them.they did change the safty clutch switch,they even foam up the clutch rod.after a while it would do it again.i hate the dang noise.my dealer wont tell me anything about it.i go to another dealer,they dont want to say anything about it.if you find out anything,let us know.
    my 07,i bought it at dealer.it had 96 miles on it.i came back week later,picked it up,drove it to tn. i was driving around town,it started clucking.i took it back at least 5 times for same problem,they put some foam on the clutch rod,it was quite for a while,then it started back with the noise,then they put a clutch safty switch on.it was quite for a while,then started back noise again.i traded it in at 12,850 miles for this 08,now borth are gt 5 speed 4.6.ok,after a couple hundred of miles the 08 is doing the same thing.ive got 10 thousands miles on the 08.it had 106 miles on it.both was sold to me as new cars.if you or anyone recieves any imformation on this problem, pls. lets the rest of us know,ill do the same.
    After driving this 3 weeks I say - obviously it cannot be compared to a Honda.
    The pony wants to run and like someone said it takes a bit to get the shifting down. Face it the car wants to kick butt.
  • ramamoeramamoe Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I have a 2007 Mustang V6 with a T5 manual tranny. About 50% of the time the tranny is perfect.Sometimes it won't go into first or reverse . I have pulled so hard on the stick I thought it would snap and then like flipping a switch it will fall right into place..once the car is going the transmission works and sounds perfectly. It has no noises , no grinding , no slipping and no leaks..Ford told me it is " normal operating condition" BU@%^&IT...Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanx
    all the dealers say no problem,take it back,bug them.
  • ramamoeramamoe Member Posts: 2
    :sick: HELP,,I am having a hard time locating a part. Does anyone out there know where you can pick up a stock shift linkage for my 2007 V6 5Sp T5 tranny?? Ford wants to sell me the entire shifter assem. for $600.00 Can. All I want is the linkage. It is a 3/4 " square steel rod about 10" long with to studs at either end. Or is there an aftermarket linkage that will work Thanks Guys and Gals in advance
    RAMAMOE
  • moronixmoronix Member Posts: 29
    I would try junkyards. Must be a wrecked one somewhere. Search internet for recycled parts.
  • ltomlinsonltomlinson Member Posts: 9
    try cj pony parts .com they might have it .....
    when my five speed is in nutral it sounds like it is grinding and soon as you push in the clutch it stops. whats up with that ?
    contact the BBB auto defect department they will be a big help ... good luck... :lemon:
  • mustangsmildenmustangsmilden Member Posts: 1
    Hello: I'm running into similar issues with a 2009 GT I just bought in August. The trans is louder then how I think it should sound. Bought it back to the dealer twice and the technician stated he hears something but wasn't ready to say anything was wrong. He did comment that he thought the sound was coming from the trans. He sent out an inquiry to Ford to see if there were any other complaints and supposedly Ford said no. After reading these posts that response sounds like alot of bull. I notice this problem more when the windows are up and it sounds like the noise is coming from the floor on the passenger side. For the first couple of weeks I drove it around with the windows always open to better hear the rumbling of the engine. Since it's been getting colder the windows have been up more and now it's more noticeable. Not a clunking sound but more like the gears get louder, especially in second gear. Get's louder when I accelerate and rpms go above 2,000. I love the car but this sure puts a damper on the whole purchase. I may just bring the car to my own mechanic who also installs transmissions to get his opinion.
    remember its under warranty,if someone tampers with n e thing and ford finds out,well you know what that means.im on my second mustang,i had 07 and now the 08,i am still having trouble with tranny at times,im keeping this one,just wish ford would come clean.same issue as the other one,noise in transmission during shifting,not as bad as the 07 tho,but still there.gonna take advice and call BBB.GOOD LUCK,
  • poneexpressponeexpress Member Posts: 1
    I was driving my pony when I tried to shift into 5th it was like it was in neutral and when I got home after driving all the way in 4th I found that I couldn't shift into reverse please someone tell me this is not going to be something major
    im sure by now you have a answer to what happen.what year tang do you have?
  • andie05andie05 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 mustang v6 automatic transmission. I've never had any problems out of it until the other night. I was stopped at a red light and pushed the gas to go and the RPM's jumped really high like to 5000. The engine reved really hard. At that point it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I rode in 1st to the nearest gas station and parked it. It will not go into reverse and it will not shift to neutral to be able to push it any where. Originally thought it would be out of transmission fluid and though I haven't had it checked recently (been told you have to check it from the underside of the car which is also where you fill it up) my car has not leaked any fluids, no lights have come on, nothing on my message board, and no problems while driving. I have no idea what could be wrong. Does anyone have any ideas before I get it towed to the dealership? I don't want to go in blind and get charged for something that might have nothing to do with the problem.
  • tork49tork49 Member Posts: 4
    Go under your car and check your vacuum hoses and transmission modulator. since not knowing your car history or care, may I suggest replacing your vacuum hoses and transmission modulator anyway? Had similar problems years ago! Good luck!
  • melva1melva1 Member Posts: 1
    hi guys

the other day I started the car perfectly, waited a few minutes and left home.. I heard like the revolutions on my car went up but I thougth it was cold still. I stop in a sign and when I tried to go on it just didn't. couldn't go backwards or forward.. nothing but the engine still work

no lights came on to warn..

We checked the transmission fluid but it was good. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was the transmission, we changed it but the problem still.
    can you tell me what it can be...
  • dbm3dbm3 Member Posts: 1
    Changed the automatic transmission fluid and filter in my 2005 Mustang today. Its the first time anyone but the factory has been in there. Looked OK except for one big surprise. There was a piece of black plastic tape in there sloshing around, about 5 inches long, an inch wide and kind of crinkled up like plastic does when has been hot. Has anyone else seen something like this? This kind of concerns me, and I changed the fluid/filter early at 60K vs 100K as it has started to 'think' a second or two longer than normal when moving to reverse.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    That method doesn't change all of the fluid. It's recommended to use the dealer machines that suck out and replace the fluid using the cooler lines. This gets 95% of the fluid out including the torque converter whereas dropping the pan only gets about 2/3. There is no need to change the filter - if there's enough stuff to clog up the filter the tranny is already toast.
  • arx9968arx9968 Member Posts: 5
    Ford screwed us, but we fixed the problem. Ford knows of this issue and hides it.
    The problem is the SAME as our 2005 GT where pitch went way up after 40mph and got lounder and whinnier the faster you went.....it it was a noisy ring and pinion set witih pinion and carrier bearings. Total cost $500. Could have been done under warranty but Ford kept saying..."that's the way it's supposed to sound."
    Bull ____. Hope you don't have the same problem, but if you do it is a warranty issue.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    1996 3.8 V6 Ford Mustang transmission slipping.

I have a 1996 3.8 V6 automatic Mustang with somewhere around 150,000 miles on it. Today it was 8 deg outside and I started the car and headed down the road. Well it started searching for gears and would shift up and down the spectrum.

Then it would kick out of gear or slip (not sure) then start searching for gears again. I never had a problem with this transmission till today. Do you have any ideas?
    Wait until the temps go up or put it in the garage to warm up and see if it still happens. Something could have frozen temporarily.
  • o10mustanggto10mustanggt Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Ok im seriously about to **** a brick my brand new gt is 3 months old with 8,000 miles and out of no where my trany deff took a ****. i took my car in for an its second oil change at my ford dealership yesterday at 1 everything was fine. i drove the car home and a couple times that evening. today I left my girlfriends house get out of the development and its fine get on the main road shift 1 through 5 no problem . . . then all the sudden as im coming to the light down the road like 1/2 a mile i hear a weird whistling noise(thats the closest description i got) i try to downshift to 2nd while slowing down . . . . i cant shift out of 5th!!!! so i stop at the light with clutch depressed and turn the car off. i finally manage to force it out of 5th with car off into neutral only i can only move the shifter side to side and up i cant go into 3rd 4th or reverse. so i turn car back on and force into first pull away it makes weird grinding noises but i can drive and i shift into 3rd same thing weird grinding noise but works. i still cant get into 3rd or 4th at all. i try shifting into 5th it goes but as soon as i let out clutch it just revs up like in neutral. so i had to drive all the way home using 1st and 3rd thankfully not extremely far. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CAR!!!!!???? of course this happens on a Sunday when the dealerships closed :mad:
    look at my postings,the 07 i had and the 08,both 5 speeds and both of them problems,ford is ,(i think) not telling the truth.also i notice my stearing was off center, the rt door is off center,gt emblem is off center and the rear bumper is off some,and over spray on my gas lid.and the odomator was reading 5 mph to fast.hum,well they reset the toll and said nothing was wrong with the odomator,but it was reading different after i left,for the bodie stuff they say it was a factory thing,and would strighten it out for me.sounds to me like its been fixed.but i bought it and the other one as a new car.and i also hear noise in the drivetrain from time to time.
  • ilcooljilcoolj Member Posts: 14
    My friend has a 2006 Mustang GT with 43K, bought it brand new and now auto trans. is slipping bad. He's had vehicle serviced regularly by the dealer but did not extend his warranty. '06's are all Lemons, so much for the S-197...
  • darleydarley Member Posts: 2
    The manual transmission on my new mustang is very noisey at best, but when driving on the freeway for a while in 4th and 5th it starts this high pitch whistling noise, the head mechanic at the dealers heard it too and agreed there was something wrong, the manager decided to change the transmission without even letting the mechanic even look at it.

Got the car back and they said it was fixed.....and guess what it is still there and even worse, anyone else had this issue?
  • darleydarley Member Posts: 2
    Did you get this sorted out, read my post about my new 2010 mustang, the same whistling sound after a few miles in 4th and 5th, they changed the transmission without even looking at it, and its even worse now.

Let me know asap.

Thanks
    You need to take the car back to the dealer and ask them to install 2 dampers that eliminate the whining sound. The bolt on the rear differential allowing to absorb the noise coming from the rear axles.
    Probably fell off the truck, my '06 probably did when i got me from the dealer, I saw that the L/F gap between the hood was more and the other side left. 2 years later I barely rear ended a guy and the paint on the bumper just chipped and flaked off. My body man told me the car had been hit before, problem is how can you prove it once you drive away from the dealer?
  • pursewaderpursewader Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 ford mustang manual transmission making funny noises can anyone help me
  • sstati23sstati23 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get that problem solved?
    I just bought a 2010 Mustang V6 a week ago and I started hearing a humming/whistling noise when I am in 4th/5th gear also. My car had less than 100miles on when I started hearing it. I am not sure where it is coming from but when I hear it, it seems to come from the center console/gear box. Again, I am not sure if the sound is just been tunneled in from outside.
    Does it sound similar to your situation?

thanks
  • dlercherdlercher Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 mustang gt and i installed a 95 transmission out of a cobra
    is there anything else i need to change or do to dial in the transmission and i want to replace the speed sensor do i buy one for a 94 or a 95 and do i have to change the board on the car?
  • ponyboy3ponyboy3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 manual 5 speed, and have the exact same problem in 4th and 5th, and as i read other posts their are many people with the same problem. To me its seems to be a design flaw, i cannot see that can be a desirable sound. A gentleman on this site mentioned putting in dampers to deaden the sound. My understanding of the problem is that their is no sound deadening in place and because the set- up is aluminum casing the noise in cab is very noticeable. at least that was the way ford explained it to me. I am writing a letter to ford to explain that this seems to be a common problem with many people. If that doesnt work and i can find evidence of a safety issue i will contact nhtsa @safercar.gov and will encourage all who will listen to do the same. I love my stang and would love to see this problem resolved. Good luck
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    The very positive reviews of the new V-6 2011 Mustang have both surprised and delighted me. My last Ford was a Sunliner with the 312-inch TB Special V-8.

Does the new V-6 get a new (and hopefully improved) 6M transmission?

My current 6M (out of Marysville, OH) is damn near flawless (with a GMSFM assist), but planning ahead won't hurt.

all the best, ez....
  • reddenredden Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    the transmission will not come out of park. the button on the shifter will not go down all the way in. the steering wheel is not locked either. yes pushing down on the brack... Well thanks for the info....
    Check the switch behind the brake pedal. It controls the taillights and the brake-shift interlock. There should be an override procedure - check the owner's manual.
  • reddenredden Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info.......................
  • bullitt4bullitt4 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I bought an 08 Bullitt mustang in sept of 2008. Not 6 months had gone by and the car started grinding gears 1-2, 2-3, took the car in and with 5800 miles had to replace 1-2 sychronizer an 2-3 synchronizer clutch and pressure plate. 2 weeks later the car would not go into gear at all. Transmission was removed and they found 2 gear had problem, replaced and reinstalled. Three months the car started grinding gears, pulled transmission and found slave cylinder in clutch failed and 2-3 sychronizer bad, replaced, reinstalled. A month later car stuck in 2nd gear. Removed transmission found slave cylinder bad again, replaced. Two weeks later car would not shift gears unless off. Back to the dealer they kept it 27 days to tell me that 6 torque to yeild bolts were reused and should not have been, replaced told that would fix all the problems by Ford engineers! Well once again 5/7/10 car is back grind ALL GEARS! Dealer says that it is the clutch and #2 sychronizer again. Dealer installed after market racing clutch replaced #2 synchronizer says it is fixed. Driving home 4.3 miles car would not release third gear and over reved engine to redline and banging rev limiter excessively. I am extremely frustrated the car has been out of service 60 days this year alone and has hit 26,000 through all of this never once going more than 9,000 miles and less than 6 months between major transmission concerns. I am at a loss and hate my car that I fell in love with the first time I laid eyes on it. Any suggestions? I picked it up today (5/27) and will return it tomorrow a.m. (5/28) for the clutch sticking third gear and smelling burnt from the clutch assembly. Cannot wait to drive it cold to see if it is going to grind gears again.
  • 6ontheroad6ontheroad Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2006 mustang 5 speed with 53,000 miles and have experienced a high pitched whining sound in gears 1-4 and less so in 5th gear. AAMCO transmission shop first thought it was a transmission related problem, although I did not feel any performance decline, but after thorough diagnosis found that the noise was from a defective idler pulley. Total cost $131.25 including labor. The whine has disappeared. Mechanic did remind me that the car has two idler pulleys, so the other may start to whine soon as well.

Not saying this is your problem but just something to check if you haven't already done so.
  • blackonblack10blackonblack10 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2010 Mustang GT a few months ago and have only about 1600 miles on it. I always thought it was a little hard to shift, but the other day I had a hell of a time getting it out of 4th gear. Then it was hard to shift back into any gear. I have owned many different manual shift cars, including a different GT and a Cobra and never experienced any of these problems. I have not even had a chance to really get on it yet! Any advice I could get would be great to take to the dealer. I figure I'll either get the old "I don't know how to drive a stick" business or "these new transmissions are truck trannys". I don't need the run around for $33 Grand.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    For $33k, a decent transmission should be a no brainer.

I am on the fence for a 2011 V-6 6M.....................hope the new transmission is trouble free. My Dad told me never to buy the first new model year. Maybe he has a point.

ez....
  • blackonblack10blackonblack10 Member Posts: 2
    This is a continuation of post #97. After taking the car out for a drive again, I tried to recreate the original shifting problem again. After start up, the transmission shifted fine through all 5 gears but I only ran it up to 2800 rpm before shifting. Then from a dead stop, I took it up to about 4500 rpm in first, then 4500 rpm in second, then could not shift into third and slowed down. It took way to much force to put it back into any gear. I finally got it into second and got the car moving again, but if I fully engage the clutch pedal all the way down, I can give it a little gas and the car will start to slightly accellerate as if the clutch is slightly engaged. I had to baby it all the way home in second gear just to get it back to the garage. Is this a clutch problem or a transmission problem?
  • moronixmoronix Member Posts: 29
    I would hope you would just take it to the dealer where you purchased it since you can reproduce the problem. Just don't let them give you a line of B.S. You have a serious problem that could be dangerous. It's up to them to figure out what the cause is. I have an '07 GT/CS with only minor transmission problem (shifting is not as smooth as I would like) but since I don't race it I can live with it. Good luck.
    am wondering what you have found out.ive had a 07 and got a 08 at this time,same ole thing,the shifting is not right.
  • crabby1crabby1 Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 mustang has a v6 and the trans is banging and vibrating when shifting in and out of overdrive when warmed up other then that it runs and shifts fine so whats going on with it?