Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Also another point is that has Honda made the right Decision to make the Honda Crv in America, Honda has biult a good Reputation making good car's comming from Japan, is all that going be lost.

Well many folks were concerned about the current CRV being made in the UK for the US market. AFAIK, quality has not been an issue.

Honda has been manufacturing vehicles in the US for over 25 years. IMHO, there is little difference in quality because Honda has a standardized manufacturing system. They could put a plant almost anywhere in the world and turn out the same level of quality.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    I have a 2003 CR-V/EX. 5W20 (is recommended) I use it.
    Do not go to a dealer. this oil is readily available.
    Any quick service oil change place will charge you 25 to 30 bucks for this service.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Wait until you have a chance to see it in person. I'm pretty good at examining pictures and determining what it will look like in person. I have a pretty good imagination that way... probably due to my studies in studio art. Many who do not have similar skills are often surprised by vehicles in the flesh.

Besides, maybe Honda gold-plated the dash and is going to sell the vehicles for under $20K.

Anyway, wait and see what they offer and also what the competition is doing before you make a decision about trading. At this point in time, the new RAV4 does look like the best vehicle for fans of the older CR-Vs.
    Nope. Honda keeps winning awards for reliability over in the UK. Most of the vehicles sold there are built there (including the CR-V).

The nationality of the workers at the plant has far less to do with reliability than the training they receive and the experience of the staff there. The plants in the US have been in operation long enough that I would not be worried about them.
    "Especially if fuel economy is up."

Doubtful. At least, not significantly. We might see 22-28 mpg.

"It appears much more aerodynamic although on VTEC they mention the weight goes up some."

Not really. Aerodynamics is are not something which can be seen. The current CR-V has a drag of .34 while the much more aerodynamic-looking CX-7 has a drag of .35 Co.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Hope we get the diesel and mileage should be in the 30's.

New pictures of the 07. I like it.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/jcf/spyphotoID/6060612.002/hon- da/more-2007-honda-cr-v-spy-photos
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Thanks for posting the picture link.

I note the commentary says the new CR-V will be built on the same platform as the Acura RDX, which I've read is the TL. I've also seen comments that the CR-V will be built on the new Civic platform.

Anyone know which is correct?
    It will be built on the RDX platform. If Honda builds anything on the Civic platform it will be the Stream or Latitude for the NA market.
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    Wow, it looks super small. It won't compete with the RAV4 - no V6 or 3rd row. One good thing though: spare tire is tucked away. Wonder if they'll give a full size spare. Doesn't look like a lot will fit in the new CRV - bummer.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    The last couple of spypics from worldcarfans/b priddy are actually not too bad, though the smiley grill is not really visible, as the vehicle is black and there is a fake
    'tinfoil' grill. One thing I failed to mention in my comments on the Rav4....it's not particularily stylish. Kinda plain in person and doesn't really look worth the change they're charging for it. Back to the CR-V...
    As the RD-X it's based on is virtually the same size as BMW's X3, it may not seem that much smaller than the current CR-V....and should be around 180" in length.
    The X3 manages to carve out 70 cu ft. or so of cargo room, so even though the RD-X is listed at around 60, maybe the CR-V, through more efficient packaging/different roofline etc. can eke out around 70 cu.ft. too. Ground clearance from the photos doesn't look all that compromised, so as varmint says, lets wait for the final specs. I'm still kinda hoping for a third row, even though all reports say the CR-V will remain a 5 seater. If the Rav4/Mazda5/Kia Carens etc. can all get third rows in their vehicles, all of which are about 180" in length, give or take an inch, then there's no reason why Honda can't. And if they have some fuel economy magic up their sleeve as well, that certainly wouldn't hurt.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    At this point in time, the new RAV4 does look like the best vehicle for fans of the older CR-Vs.

Because of cargo space only? That seems to be your biggest gripe with the new CR-V (which isn't even out yet).

So which RAV4 is it? The $30K V6 or the $21K 4 cylinder stripper model?
    It is too soon to say about the specs, but there are pretty good numbers being rumored out there on the web. I say they are good because they match up well with what we've seen of the RDX and also what we've seen in the CR-V spy pictures.

Anyway, they peg max cargo capacity at a measly 61 cu.ft. I've seen how the RDX seats fold (and the parts of the bench which cannot be folded). And those seats look like they were taken from a less expensive vehicle then covered with leather. I've also taken measurements of the RDX's cargo bay. Combine that with the sloped roof-line we see in the photos and I think 61 cu.ft. is unfortunately correct.
    There are a number of small SUVs on the market which are reliable (RAV4, Element, CR-V, and Forester).

There are a number of small SUVs with good cargo capacity (Escape, CR-V, Element, VUE, and Equinox).

Pretty much all of them offer safe, stable handling.

Several do well in crash tests and offer a good list of safety features.

Some offer good performance.

Some offer good fuel economy.

The CR-V was the only one which scored at the top of the heap in pretty much all categories. It was well-balanced. Nowadays, when I look at vehicles on the small SUV market, the new RAV4 is the one at the top of all the lists. The new CR-V does not look like it will be as balanced as the first two generations.

To answer your question, I'd recommend a mid level RAV4 with the I4 to most buyers. While Toyota's nickle-n-dime approach to features can be maddening, it is possible to find a middle ground between loaded and stripped.
    My answer to why the RAV4 over the CRV when I bought in April. Drove both, really liked them almost equally. What I liked about the RAV more was the interior, the ease in which those back seats just fold down with a pull of a lever. I got the Limited I4/2 wheel drive (didn't need the 4 wheel drive) with all the bells and whistles for 23,600...I would have gotten the SE CRV for 24,300. So in the end the RAV was cheaper, and it gets 2 mpg more. Mind you, I am a loyal Honda owner (I have 3 other cars). This is my first Toyota, so we'll see. We may eventually trade in one of our cars for a 2006 CRV.
  • jeffworkjeffwork Member Posts: 20
    Yuck. Been waiting for the CR-V before deciding on it, Rav-4 (which I like a lot) or the current CR-V. This takes the new CR-V out of consideration for me
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    I still contend it has promise. I think it looks great actually. Nice new pixs.
    But these days my favorites are filled up with alt fuel folders and the low 30 mpgs range doesn't sound as good as it used to.
    Who knows, in a year or two it just may be the Fit Hybrid that I'll end up with. An affordable hybrid at last, or at least in theory.
    I would have gotten the SE CRV for 24,300.

Your market must be an anomoly. SE's can be had here for $22K.
    ...is the RDX's weight. It's pretty close to 4,000 lbs, which is porky, but bearable when you have a 240 hp turbo to get you around but not so if you only have a 170hp 4.
    Given the new CR-V's apparent shrinkage, you'd think it would be even lighter. Also of note...the RDX's mileage doesn't even come close to the Rav4's V6, let alone the 4.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I doubt tow ratings will go up, the RDX can only tow 1500 lbs. Try a V6 RAV4 - 3500 lbs. Then again, installing the wiring harness is a nightmare, you have to take the whole interior apart. Foresters can tow 2400 lbs, and the harness is plug-n-play easy.

As for the spy pics, seems like there is a lot less glass overall, especially around the D-pillar. That's an unfortunate trend that has caught on with the entire industry. Chopped cars are in, but it's harder to see out of them!

Front headlights on that one look like the last generation Civic to me. They hid the underbite. Still no clear, full pics.

-juice
    You mention the apparent shrinkage of the 07 CR-V..could this actually be because you are not measuring the added length from the spare tire on the back? The new CR-V might be the same size as the present one. Anyone know?
    I'd recommend a mid level RAV4 with the I4 to most buyers.

So they should spend about $25k for a RAV4 (try and find a RAV4 for $21k) vs. less for a CR-V for a few cubic feet of storage space?? I think you underestimate the value of a few cubic feet of storage in this segment. It's not like the CR-V is a Mini with no place to put a suitcase.

To paraphrase one of our favorite people, you are all over the 'net saying how the new CR-V will flop (I know this market segment. This new CR-V reminds me of the old RAV4 and the Forester. Both have failed to lead the segment. Unless we are grossly misinformed about it, this CR-V will flop. .), huge loss in sales, etc. Sure hope you are right, as your rep as the CR-V expert is on the line
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I'm considering buying a 2006 4WD CR/V EX. I've heard that it "requires" 5W20 oil - my questions are:
    1) Is that accurate?
    2) Where the heck can you buy 5W20 (the dealer priced me out their oil and filter and it would be nearly $35/oil change just for the supplies!). And can you easily buy a filter from someplace besides honda?
    3) Does 5W20 really wear out your engine sooner?

Last question - are people seeing good MPG with low-grade gasoline or do you need to use mid- or premium?

Thanks!

Never had a problem finding 5W-20, not every brand has it, only the top quality producers have it. So, there is no cheapo brand of 5W-20, but Exxon (superflo) Mobil, Mobil 1, Motorcraft (Ford), Penzoil, Quaker, Castrol all have 5W-20.

I use Mobil 1 0W-20 for better winter start up protection, and Honda OEM filter.

You only need to use regular gas in it. It is not designed to take advantage of the higher octane (low compression engine).
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    At this point in time, the new RAV4 does look like the best vehicle for fans of the older CR-Vs.

No manual in any RAV4's. No manual = no sale for me.
    A poster on another forum has published specs of dubious origin, but (perhaps unfortunately) they might quite a bit of sense. The specs include a 200-250 lbs increase over the current model. That does make sense given the added weight of the ACE body structure.

For the record, this new CR-V is about the same length, but appears to be a good 2-3" wider. That could explain some of the weight. Though it is also rumored to be shorter.
    Back in April, the invoice price on Edmund's was 24,000 for the top of the line CRV. My dealer agreed to $300 over that invoice. I thought it was a great deal at the time. After reading the real deals people are getting, I'm glad I didn't go for it. I got a comparable vehicle for less $ so I'm happy.
    It's not like the old RAV4, Forester, Grand Vitara, Sportage, or new Tucson were Minis, either. But each of them has been a second tier player in large part because they were too small.

But you're mistaken about cargo space being my only reason for forecasting flop status for the new CR-V. It's also ugly.

Right now, price is the best reason I have for recommending the current CR-V over the RAV4. If buyers cannot afford the RAV4, the CR-V is a strong alternative.

I used to be able to say it offered the best total package.

With the new CR-V looking smaller on the inside, heavier, and uglier, I cannot claim that it is a good overall package. And I see no reason to suspect the price will drop.

I'm sure this new model will have improved safety, improved handling, and an improved interior. But if somebody comes to me asking for a smaller SUV with good handling, safety, and a nice interior, I'd probably direct them to the Subaru Forester.

I got my rep as the CR-V expert by learning an awful lot about the vehicle. I know enough to recognize one of these :lemon: when I see it.
    The new CR-V may sell in spite of it's looks (wouldn't be the first time for a Honda), but like varmint said, it used to offer the best total package, and the jury is still out on that one until we get more details. The two glossy black almost totally unmasked spy photos actually don't look half bad....the nice set of alloys probably helps...but the 'face' is the big question mark (nice 'legs', shame about her 'face'?) Still not digging the new Odyssey, despite it's merit as one of the best minivans out there (looks like they took the old one and gave it some colagen injections to puff it out a bit)..sales of it don't seem to be hurting though. Still looking for that one vehicle that does it all...reasonably priced, good fuel economy, occasional seating for 6-7 and some awd capability. Mazda5.....no AWD, no ground clearance, though the price (even at list + all taxes, out the door, you'd be hardpressed to break 30 G's in Canada) is right. CR-V....out-the-door, closer to 35 G's here, has (had?) the ground clearance, AWD, fuel economy but no third row. I guess the new Rav4 comes the closest, though the only version with a third row in Canada goes out the door for over 43 G's (ouch!) If Mazda would "outback" the '5' and get rid of those silly side sills, that could be my ride (Mitsubishi did this with their Grandis). But, I digress....
    New Cr-V does show some promise, but I'll need to check out that 'face' and I'm not holding my breath for a third row. Current Stream is just over 179" (will we get the new Stream/Latitude?), so a third row is possible. As long as they do it like the Rav4 and give you a choice (I know there are those who hate 3rd rows)
    But you're mistaken about cargo space being my only reason for forecasting flop status for the new CR-V. It's also ugly.

Aren't looks subjective? As I said before, find the posts when the 2G was about to debut. I know "ugly" was used. Didn't seem to hurt it's sales.

With the new CR-V looking smaller on the inside, heavier, and uglier, I cannot claim that it is a good overall package.

With every redesign of the Civic and Accord and CR-V they added more interior volume, not less. The 3G CR-V may look "smaller" to you, but I doubt it will be.

I'm sure this new model will have improved safety, improved handling, and an improved interior. But if somebody comes to me asking for a smaller SUV with good handling, safety, and a nice interior, I'd probably direct them to the Subaru Forester.

Except for a potentially smaller cargo capacity it does seem that for you it all comes down to the fact that you think the new CR-V is "ugly". Looks are subjective, but I assume you have seen a Forester. And what about the Soob's ride height? Not SUV like.

I got my rep as the CR-V expert by learning an awful lot about the vehicle. I know enough to recognize one of these :lemon: when I see it.

Pretty strong statement. Don't recall a real Honda flop for many years in the US. We shall see but I think you will be wrong and have to forfeit your "CR-V expert" tag ;) .
    The glossy black photo is a Euro model. Look closely and you can see the wide license plate frame and the headlight wiper jets.

I think that photo does look better, but only because the vehicle is back lit. Tricks of the camera hide the nasty little details.
    I got a comparable vehicle for less $ so I'm happy.

Comparable? Your RAV4 doesn't have AWD. Apples to oranges.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Do not go to a dealer. this oil is readily available.
    Any quick service oil change place will charge you 25 to 30 bucks for this service."

My dealer charges $29.
    Yes, looks are subjective, but that doesn't stop people from forming a majority consensus on looks. The styling of the Aztek is subjective, yet that is still blamed as the #1 reason for it's failure. So far, the negative reactions to this new CR-V have far out-numbered the positive.

I'm basing my statements about the CR-V being smaller on the fact that it shares a platform with the RDX, specs have been rumored (61 cu.ft.), and the photos match up with both the rumors and the RDX.

Looks and lack of interior space are enough to kill a vehicle.

The last gen RAV4 was a good vehicle. It was sporty. It was stylish enough. It was reliable and made from high quality materials. It was safe. It had a good AWD system. But it stayed a second tier player largely because it was too small.

The Forester is another example. Though, on top of being considered small, it wasn't very attractive.

As for the Subaru's ride height, yes, it isn't very SUV-like. And that was another problem for some buyers. Some of the appeal of SUVs is the higher seating position and improved visibility. I don't see that being a problem for the CR-V. But there are plenty of vehicles in this segment with good visibility. You need more than that to succeed.

If you can't recall Honda designing a flop, look no further than the last generation Civic Si or the new Acura RL.

It is possible that Honda has some brilliant feature hidden under the sheetmetal of that CR-V. But it's going to have to be one fantastic, ground-breaking, "OMG this is huge" feature to make up for the looks and apparent lack of cargo space.
    "Comparable? Your RAV4 doesn't have AWD. Apples to oranges."

Because I chose it that way. I did not want AWD. Comparable in terms of options such as side and curtain airbags, moon roof, etc. And comparable in terms of size. I could have lived with either one really, but I got a good deal on the RAV4, and I prefer the interior. Did not like the plastic folding table between front seats. Did not like the emergency break and shift location. Other than that both were fine.
    Sounds nice. Really haven't seen a lot of the new RAV4 on the road around here. A lot of CR-Vs though, so maybe different is good.
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    The new CRV is going to sell, and when Honda adds its 2.2L diesel from the new North American engine plant in a few years, its going to sell like crazy.
    The old Rav4 was quite a bit smaller than the current CR-V.
    The new CR-V may be marginally smaller than the outgoing model, but it does seem to have a very short hood and front overhang, so maybe cabin space has been maintained.
    I do agree that it probably needs some surprise & delight features to give it an edge.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060614/japan_honda_recall.html?.v=1

I haven't seen anything official, but we may have a recall coming for a few 1997 CR-Vs.
    Does anyone have tape measure dimensions handy for the 2002-2006 CR-V? I took a tape measure with me to NY and measured the cargo space of the RDX. We could compare. The RDX should give us a strong clue about how big the next generation CR-V will be in the back.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    But if somebody comes to me asking for a smaller SUV with good handling, safety, and a nice interior, I'd probably direct them to the Subaru Forester.

That bump we all just felt was the earth stopping!!
    "No manual in any RAV4's. No manual = no sale for me."

No manual for the 2007 CR-V, either. :cry:
    I've always recommended either the (old) RAV4 or Forester to people looking something more nimble without as much cargo space. It's just the number of buyers looking for something larger is... well... larger.

Though, I may have to amend that earlier statement. It's possible the new CR-V could have the same cargo space as the Forester and and still trump it by having a better rear bench. It's difficult to say. The Forester has gotten a little bigger in the back, and (based on sitting in the RDX) the rear seat isn't too small.

I may end up recommending the RAV4 to most buyers and the new CR-V to those who want the smaller, more nimble package. We'll see.
    No manual for the 2007 CR-V, either.

The 4-8% of the car buying public in the US who drive a manual transmission are going to be soooo disappointed. Long live the "drones" ;) .
    The 2003 CR-V . 65"long with the front seat all the way back and back door closed. 52" wide above wheel wells, 42" below
    38"rear door height opng. 44.5"wide.
    Easy 8' long with front seat folded
    Back window flips up for longer items.

Now give me the RDX dim's
    Thank's
    5w-20 not 10w-20 is better for winter.
  • rodsterin_flrodsterin_fl Member Posts: 7
    Actually all of the changes were made starting with the 2005 model. The only change to the 2006 was the warranty.
    Measurement 2006JDM CRV/2006NAM CRV/2007 RDX/2006 RAV4
    Length 174.02-178.74*/181.00/180.70 / 181
    Width 70.28 / 70.2 / 73.6 / 71.5
    Height 67.32 / 66.2 / 65.2 /66.1
    WB 103.15 /103.3 /104.3 / 105
    CW ? /3318-3494/3968-3982

Note that the length of the JDM CRV bumper to bumper is 174.02 and bumper to spare tire mounting bracket is 178.74. It's possible that the NAM CRV is either measured bumper to spare tire or our bumpers themselves are larger than the JDM bumpers, accounting for the disparity in lengths. Anyway, what it boils down to is that the RDX is, bumper to bumper, about 6" longer than the JDM CRV, over 3" wider and only an inch less in height (which may have more to do with ground clearance than actual body height. So the next gen CRV, based on the RDX, is, for all intents and purposes, slightly larger than the outgoing model. Note that Honda didn't appreciably increase the size of the new Odyssey, but managed to carve out additional interior space. Hopefully the same will be true with the CRV. Looks can be deceptive. It should be virtually the same length as the RAV4 (maybe longer, if the spare on the RAV figures into it's length calculation), it's 2" wider and only an inch less tall (that ground clearance thing again). So I expect the new CRV to equall or surpass the RAV in interior space. (Also, no reason why it can't have a 3rd row like the RAV)
    Thanks for the info. I wouldn't think Honda would make the new CRV smaller since each new updates of the vehicles have been larger. Would have to think with the spare taken off the back that it's new location is under the cover in back, the reason for no third row.

Here's a few new 07 pictures which came out today.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/country/jcf/spyphotoID/6060615.008/hon- da/more-honda-cr-v-spy-photos-us-spec
    It was ole blue eyes who can't do without the stick. Frankly, I think not offering a manual is a loss, but not a major loss.
    Dimensions for the RDX... lemme see here...

60" from the interior edge of the hatch to the bottom of the folded up seat cushion (which rests against the front seatback).

35" from the interior edge to the back of the second row (back seats upright).

49" maximum width (measured aft of the wheel wells). Above the wheel well, the RDX has a "shelf system" which gets in the way.

41.5" between the wheelwells. (This is the one dimension which should be larger than the current CR-V.)

32" max height (measured near the back of the cargo space, but not the door opening).

I took these measurements while fighting the crowds at the NY Auto Show, so they may not be exact. For example, I was not able to measure the length of the cargo space with the hatch closed and had to estimate where it would fall on the cargo floor.
    You make a good point about the height of the body being different than the height of the overall vehicle. But ground clearance doesn't tell us enough.

On a spec sheet, both the X3 and CX-7 have more ground clearance than the RDX (by 2-3 inches). They measure from the floor to the differential. However, when I put a tape measure under the chassis (below a rear door), I found that the RDX had more clearance than the other two. By approximately 2 inches. It "seems" the body rides high, but the differential rides low.