Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Real World MPG

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2011
    My mpg on my last new car didn't hit the EPA numbers until 10,000 miles. 500 miles is just too soon I think. By 3 or 4 thousand miles you should have a better handle on the numbers. Keeping track of every fill-up may help.

It's funny how some people get good mileage from the first tank. Mine didn't plateau until I hit 106,000 miles and it's fallen off about a tenth as I've passed 155k on my van.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I agree. Eleven mpg is terrible. I am getting 16 in the city with an Edge and I thought that was bad.
  • victorg009victorg009 Member Posts: 9
    Hi bdyment,

I agree I may be wrong with my facts. But I still think the main reason why car gets better MPG after 1000K or 5000K or whatever is not because of breakin, but rather people change their driving habits and learn to driver it easier and accelerate less.
  • rermanrerman Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

So I thought I should give a update post to this one. I did go back and talk to the service center, and we redid the numbers and the car continues to show the same mileage. We did all agree the numbers were off somehow with the 25.5MPG number earlier observed.
    We haven't gotten to a fix yet for the problem, but I will say the GMC service center I am dealing with has been extremely professional, receptive to my questions and concerns. I have been really impressed. Hopefully they are able to figure this out.
  • rcoombercoombe Member Posts: 2
    My experience is that they really won't do anything. It is what it is...it seems like a real scam for them to post such false mileage results. I spoke to GMC corporate and threatened a lawsuit and they said they couldn't do anything. My 2000 Suburban gets the same mileage.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    rerman,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • rob442rob442 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new (2 months old) 2011 Denali Acadia with Front wheel drive. We love the vehicle and it fits our family perfectly. The MPG so far is not as good as advertised. We live in Indy and the first tank full was an easy trip up to Michigan at 55 to 65 MPH. Two adults, 2 kids, no luggage. I drove easy and tried my best to keep it steady to test the MPG numbers. We got 20.5 MPG on that first tank. The second tank was all commuting to work, and running the kids to soccer, and school. Again, I tried to take it easy on acceleration. That was a dissapointing 14 MPG. We run the A/C and all the accessories full time. Our latest road trip 55 to 65 mph, with luggage came in at 18.8 MPG. I am now becoming aware of the fact that the transmission seems like its RPM's are higher shift points than Im use to. And it doesnt hit overdrive unless Im over 50 mph and have the cruise set. So thats got to impact fuel economy. I have an appointment to get the trans checked out to see if it can be tuned. Will let you know on that issue.
  • rob442rob442 Member Posts: 2
    I want ot be clear that the post on MPG's is my first and the dealer hasn't had a chance to check and tune the car, so until thats done, I want to be sure to give a fair evaluation. Other than the potential for better MPG's we love the vehicle. It's perfect for my family and the many road trips we take each and every year. We will probably drive 20,000 miles per year in this vehicle.
  • tju22003tju22003 Member Posts: 1
    Like many of the other posts, the main motivator for my purchase of an 09 Acadia was gas mileage. I took a huge bath on the trade in of a 07 Yukon Denali XL. The only reason I sold the car was because of gas mileage. The Acadia has been disappointing from day one with both mileage and quality issues. I have had the transmission fluid changed and reprogrammed at the dealer. Now after the last engine reprogram (TSB), the mileage has dropped again. I am getting about 13.5 around town. Last weekend i traveled 500 miles with a friend that has an 08 Enclave. All freeway. The Enclave without the direct injection motor got 21.5 mpg and our Acadia with DI 3.6 got 18.5. We traveled bumper to bumper the entire trip.

I have owned GM SUV's since 1999. This is the last one.
    A reporter wants to talk with people who expected to get better gas mileage in their relatively new vehicle. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, July 19, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience. Thank you.
  • cindy8998cindy8998 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any trouble with the power steering in their Arcadia? I have a 2010. bought in August 2009, truck has 20,000 miles and I am going in to the shop for the 4th .... that's right fourth time... for the power steering....
    cindy8998,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your new vehicle. By chance, have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me your case number? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
  • cashscowgirlcashscowgirl Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Got my Denali last Monday-traded in my 2002 Chevy Suburban. Seriously, my Suburban got better gas mileage in town than this thing does-I'm reading 12.9 when I sat in it on the lot (which the guy told me not to worry about that it would change once I ran it through a full tank and refilled-he was right, I'm now reading 13.5. Rediculous). I live in the country and so most of my driving is on roads that I don't have much starting and stopping to do. A call will be placed to the dealership on Monday. If they tell me to drive it longer to help it break in, I'll go down and trade it in for something even smaller and worth less. I actually wish I had my Suburban back. It actually got mostly what the sticker stated it would for gas until recently. This Acadia is no where near close. :mad:
  • ccvignaleccvignale Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Acadia 3 months ago and have never gotten above 16.5 mpg. We have 7000 miles on it, most are freeway miles, and cannot get above the 16 mpg mark. We took it to the dealership last week and they did something to the computer and now I am getting between 12 and 13.8 mpg! Wrong way!!!! I do not drive this with a lead foot and I have even stopped using the AC to see if I could get better gas mileage, but still can't get 14 mpg! We are so frustrated, we bought this car over a Toyota Sequoia due to the gas mileage it was supposed to get and now wish I had just bought another Sequoia since that is what we had owned for six years.
    I am now taking it back to the dealership on Monday and they will be giving me a car to drive so they can keep it the entire day. We have had this car 3 months and if I could return it I would. I will never recommend an Acadia to anyone that wants decent gas mileage! My V8 Sequoia averaged 16.5 mpg the entire time we had it and that included pulling a 6500lb boat! I am so FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!
    ccvignale,

The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper maintenance and good driving habits. Listed below are GM's recommendations to achieve the best mileage possible. The first group are things to consider for your vehicle, while the second are tips relating to your driving habits.

One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy are under inflated tires. Tires low with pressure create drag that the vehicle’s powertrain must overcome, wasting dollars in fuel. Always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure as shown on the vehicle placard. This not only serves to increase gas mileage but cuts down on tire wear, further decreasing your costs per mile.

A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine. This restriction forces the engine to expend energy to "breathe" wasting fuel in the process. Change recommendations are found in your vehicle Owner’s Manual.

Always use the proper viscosity oil in your engine. Oil that has a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine causing more work for it, especially when cold. Each Owner’s Manual contains information on the proper type of oil for your vehicle. Look for the "starburst" symbol on the front of the bottle, and the SM rating on the API circle on the back label. If you are in doubt, stop by your dealer for an oil change, and any other services required. Most current GM vehicles are equipped with oil life monitors to further assist on the "when" to change your oil. (Aveo/Wave/Optra/Epica currently do not have oil life monitors).

Note: GM Vehicles DO NOT require additional engine oil additives. Some additives may cause harmful effects to the internal seals and additionally void the terms of your vehicles New Car Warranty.
    Purchasing higher than required octane fuel is a waste of money. Using higher octane fuels in a vehicle that only required regular unleaded fuel will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage. In all cases refer to your owner’s manual and ONLY use the octane rated fuel recommended for your vehicle.

Even though current GM vehicles have 100,000 mi (160,000 km) service intervals for spark plugs if your vehicle is at that point in its life, have the spark plugs changed to assure proper running and continued efficient, trouble free operation.

Avoid quick/full throttle acceleration from a standstill in town and high cruising speeds on the interstates. While the optimum MPG for highway cruising speed varies from vehicle to vehicle, faster is almost always worse. If your vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center that displays Instant Fuel Economy, select that readout and vary your cruising speed while on the highway. The display will change continuously with uphill and downhill sections but you should quickly be able to identify on level ground the speed range that your vehicle does the best in. Avoid leaving unnecessary items in your trunk. It takes power to move increased weight and that means more gasoline consumption and reduced performance. While the change may be slight, multiplied by thousands of miles, it all adds up. Your vehicle uses much more fuel when the engine is cold. This is especially true in the winter months when the engine will take the longest to warm up. Combine errands or trips so that the vehicle only needs to warm up once to encompass many different stops.

Thank you,
  • dtb5dtb5 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like I am joing a group of Acadia owners who love their new vehicles but upside down on the poor mileage. I just picked mine up two weeks ago in Austin Texas. Great dealership and salesperson (on the sale side anyway). The Acadia (SLT) had 600 miles on it (had been traded from a dealership in La, the first trip was through Austin rush hour, so I was not "overly" converned with the mileage. But the first several tanks of gas, all driving around town, have reported 13.9 miles per gallon. Spoke with saleperson and we was clearly concerned, stating that all of his customers claim 18-19 mpg, suggested I bring it in to be checked out.

Reading these posts I hear didnt responses, (1) give it time to break in; (2) the car computer is inaccurate (to that all I can say is I see the fuel gauge needle move a click (1/16 tank) everytime I run to the store which isbout five miles away; (3) have the transmission serviced.

Has anyone actaully seen the initial mielage improve after a breakin period; or has anyone seen the dealrship actually find something to fix or tweek to improve mpg. While I do live/drive on a quasi-highway, I have not been gunning the vehicle to get up to speed.

Love the vehicle - but really wondering if this issue is going to taint my opinions. Any feedback or advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • hsalinashsalinas Member Posts: 4
    I must say that I am very disappointed with the fuel economy on my 2011 GMC Acadia Denali. I've become a huge fan of GM after purchasing my first, a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ. This vehicle suited the needs of my family perfectly, very comfortable, excellent in the snow, loaded with features and best of all it was giving a steady 18mpg around town and 22mpg on the highway. Unfortunately on July 1st my mother in law was driving my children to camp and a car traveling at high speed lost control and collided into my Traverse with my family in the car, a 10 year old 6 year old and 18 month old. Thankfully my family walked away without a scratch but were really shaken up by the impact. Needless to say the Traverse was totaled. We were so impressed by how ONSTAR immediately contacted my wife to advise us that the car was in an accident and they contacted the police. They also advised us that the ONSTAR rep. spoke with my family and that everybody was okay. This was one of the deciding factors that I will only purchase another GM vehicle along with that my family walking from an accident without a scratch, so Thank You to GM!
    We decided to purchase the new 2011 GMC Acadia Denali because of the style and color of the vehicle, we figured that it's gotta be the same as the Traverse......Well boy we were wrong! Though the drive on the GMC is much softer and more plush, the fuel economy SUCKS! I have 2000 miles now on the GMC and have spent $542.00 already. The last fillup was $81.00, 20.2gallons, 277 miles traveled to give me 13.7mpg....TERRIBLE!
    My wife says that this is the first vehicle we have owned, and we have owned probably 12-15 vehicles in the 17 years we are together, that we can see the fuel go down when driving locally....PRETTY SCARY especially with gas @ $4.00/gallon!
    On another note, I was so impressed by GM that I traded in my commuter, 2008 Honda Civic, and purchased a 2011 Buick Regal. I absolutely love this car! The Regal has so many features and best of all I am getting around 28-30mpg. ONSTAR is awesome too!
    hsalinas,
    I am happy to hear that your family was all okay after that accident.

The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper maintenance and good driving habits. Listed below are GM's recommendations to achieve the best mileage possible. The first group are things to consider for your vehicle, while the second are tips relating to your driving habits.

One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy are under inflated tires. Tires with low pressure create drag that the vehicle’s powertrain must overcome, wasting dollars in fuel. Always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure as shown on the vehicle placard. This not only serves to increase gas mileage but cuts down on tire wear, further decreasing your costs per mile.

A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine. This restriction forces the engine to expend energy to "breathe" wasting fuel in the process. Change recommendations are found in your vehicle Owner’s Manual.

I hope this information helps! Thank you for your loyalty to GM!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • klewis0906klewis0906 Member Posts: 12
    Well, I just bought a used 2009 Acadia SLT. I see that I am not alone in the low mileage performance. My SUV has 28000 miles on it, and I am getting 13.8 miles per gallon. I just filled up the truck for the 3rd time. It was weird because I didn't even drive the SUV for a couple days during the week? I was wondering why I was out of gas so fast? After I filled it up I saw that I only get 288 miles for the entire tank! I cant even get to Vegas on a tank of gas? I could get to Vegas on 3/4 of a tank in my Expedition! I got better mileage on my 1998 Ford Expedition!! I literally just logged on to compare the mileage on the two trucks and came across this post! This is crazy!! And like an idiot, I paid cash for this crap! Should have kept my Expedition.
    Interesting post. I just bought a used 2009 Acadia. I noticed the smoke when I test drove the car. I did ask about it, and the salesperson told me no worries. It was from moisture. After I bought it and drove it home, I noticed it again on start up as I got ready to leave for work. Your post is the first real explaination i've received.
    You CAN get to Vegas on Acadia. On highway it easily gets 20 MPG, and drives for 400 miles on a tank of gas. However in city it consumes gas by gallons. Our city MPG is 13-14 and range 260-280 miles.
    Thanks victor! I hope so! I was pretty bummed last night. At least you get to give yours back. I paid cash for mine. I thought I had received such a great deal! I hope someone comes up with a solution for this. I do more city driving than highway driving.
  • hsalinashsalinas Member Posts: 4
    @victorg009..........It's obvious you don't own a GMC Acadia because an elderly person driving in the right lane doing 50mph will NEVER get 20mpg!!!!!!!!!
    I personally drove my wife's Acadia Denali for 230miles straight and suffered doing 60mph just to prove a point and I was able to get 16.2mpg.......BIG DEAL! I own a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 w/HEMI, 390HP and driving it as I would everyday which is not like an elderly I am still getting 15.4mpg around town and 22mpg on the highway.I purchased this truck without worrying about fuel consumption and didn't care and it still exceeded my expectations.
    I was always told that the GMC are the better of the GM lineup in trucks...YEAH WELL THAT'S BS!! Thank god I leased this car BUT unfortunately I'm stuck with this junk until August 2014.
    I will NEVER NEVER NEVER consider a GMC or recommend to anybody. The company is full of IT and I'm surpirsed GM can allow this.
    @hsalinas: I do own 2010 Acadia SLE AWD, and it gets 19MPG on roundtrip from Bay Area to Tahoe which includes climb to 7000' mountain. On flat freeway it can get 20+ MPG, but there are no flat freeways in Bay Area.

Acadia weights 3 tons and it takes lots of gas to accelerate it after stopping in city driving. The only way to improve MPG is to accelerate slower.

Another factor is Acadia transmission is programmed to downshift immediately when you touch gas pedal even slightly, and when downshifted it accelerates much faster and therefore consumes more gas. This sporty transmission mode is similar to Overdrive OFF in our old 4-cyl Camry, and with Overdrive OFF even Camry burns gas like Acadia.

I do like our Acadia when we go on family trips. I hate it when filling at gas station or every time I look on gas level gauge.
  • kaydeejaykaydeejay Member Posts: 14
    I have had my FWD Acadia for 3 months now and have driven approx 2500 miles.
    I have been most unhappy with the gas mileage I have been getting (less than 16mpg in general driving, much of it highway).
    I mentioned this to the Service advisor at my dealership and was told "That's all you're going to get"
    I quoted the sticker mileage of 24 Hwy and was told that was a very optimistic number under perfect conditions.
    BS! The tests behind those numbers were changed a few years ago to be more realistic!.
    I took my first 400 mile purely highway trip last weekend and drove 70mph. I got 21.8mpgs.
    Better than some people are reporting but still not what I was hoping for.
    To put things in perspective here - that is 2mpg LESS than I used to get driving a 1995 Buick Roadmaster station wagon with a 5.7L V8. With 16 years of "Progress" I expected the Acadia to do better.
    I also own a 2500HD Duramax Crew-cab pickup that I use to tow a fifth wheel. I have driven the SAME 400 mile trip with my truck (unloaded) and got 20mpg.
    Not good enough GM.
    But I leased it so am stuck for another 3 years. I will NOT lease another one.
    klewis0906,

I apologize for the mileage you are getting. I would encourage you to take your vehicle into your local GM dealership to be looked at. Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Hi Caron,
    Thank you for responding.
    I HAVE been back to the dealer. Their response to 18mpg (mostly highway) was "that's all you're going to get" and when asked about the 24MPG Highway rating was told "That's very optimistic under perfect conditions"
    They then told me to let the engine rev wide open now and again and wait until I had a "few thousand" miles on the car before being critical.
    Let's put things in perspective! I'm a GM retiree Manager who used to drive a company vehicle. I ALWAYS exceeded the published (and optimistic pre-2008) mileage ratings from day1 for EVERY car I drove.
    Look at my previous post for the mileage I was getting from a 1995 Buick Roadmaster wagon and a 2005 2500HD pickup for example.
    For vehicles slightly closer in comparison I regularly got 16/27mpg out of the plastic U-Vans (Lumina APV and Pontiac Transport with a 3800 push-rod V6) and comparable numbers out of the later U-Vans (Venture and Montana) with a pushrod 3.4V6.
    Granted the Acadia is a bigger vehicle, but with all the technical advances and a six-speed transmission I was optimistic that I would get AT LEAST the posted (and supposedly more realistic) 24mpg.
    My last tank (filled yesterday) with a mix of highway (75%) and major road (25%) driving, I returned 15.1mpg!
    My old Buick ALWAYS gave me 20mpg in identical driving. In fact I used the mileage instead of the fuel gauge to judge when to fill up, it was THAT consistent.
    As I said before, 16 years of technological advances do not seem have found their way into this Acadia.
    And I'm obviously wasting my time at the dealer!
    Like I said - NOT impressed at all!
    The mileage I quoted for the Lumina/Transport/Venture/Montana should have been 26/27, not the 16/27 I mis-typed!
    Hi Caron - thank you for your reply. Is there anything in particular that we should tell the service department to check? Is it your opinion that we should get a higher mileage?
    Hi rerman, just wonder if your service dept was able to identify the problem with your low mileage?
    klewis0906,
    I apologize I do not have a recommendation. They will know where to look and what to look at.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • shen1shen1 Member Posts: 4
    I have had my Acadia for 5 months now and I am averaging about 13.5 MPG. Obviously this is no where near the range on the sticker which is 17/24. I would have never even considered this vehicle had I known that the gas mileage would be nowhere near the range on the sticker, but since this vehicle got great reviews for fuel economy I thought it would be a good vehicle for my family. I was completely wrong because I had no idea what it was going to cost me to fill it up! When I got the vehicle the salesman said to use Top Tier Gas and that they had a lot of people complaining about fuel economy, but he led me to believe that if I put "good" gas in that the mileage would be better, of course as I learned, Top Tier Gas does nothing for fuel economy. I do not have a heavy foot and my tires are properly inflated, recent oil change, etc. I have tried it all and nothing has helped my fuel economy. I took it in to the dealer two weeks ago to get other work done and also inquired about fuel economy at that time which they basically just ignored. I am very frustrated and made a second appointment, but this time just to have the fuel economy looked at. Has anyone had any luck getting the dealership to do anything about this problem???
    edited October 2011
    How many miles do you have on it? Many new cars take several thousand miles before the mpg starts to get in line with the EPA estimates. My last new car didn't start hitting its stride until ~10,000 miles.
    7100 miles. Fuel economy hasn't changed at all from the day we drove it home.
    Doesn't sound right. I'd open a case with GM. Since you are under warranty, there shouldn't be a diagnostic fee if GM customer service wants you to revisit the dealer.
    I agree that it doesn't sound right, however, I took it back to the dealership today to have it checked a second time. The Driver Info Center MPG currently reads 13.9 and the service manager says that "there is nothing wrong and this gas mileage is to be expected". He then went on to tell me that it could take 10,000 or 20,000 miles until the car is broken in. I have owned 4 new cars in my life with 3 of them being GM vehicles and this is the first new vehicle that does not get at least the minimum fuel economy stated on the sticker. I have read that EPA mileage ratings tend to be conservative and I have even seen other manufacturers state that they expect you to get even more MPG on the sticker, however, GM seems to be indicating that the EPA fuel rating is in ideal situations and that you should not expect to actually achieve such gas mileage. Seems very unreasonable to me. I am extremely disappointed in the response I have received so far.
    well, my acadia has 28k miles on it. what excuse will they give me??
    edited October 2011
    Some people do get good mpg right out of the gate. Others take a while but at least the mpg should be trending upward as the vehicle breaks in.

The info centers have gotten pretty accurate but I'd manually check 4 or 5 tanks too.

From what I've read, the EPA testing is pretty rigorous even though the conditions are still well controlled by the testing lab. That same "EPA testing" pretty much lets the manufacturers off the hook though when vehicles don't live up to the ratings. Just stumbled on this "fine print" while nosing around with a net search - " A disclosure about fuel economy or estimated annual fuel costs under this section does not establish a warranty". (link)
    I just dropped my truck off at the dealer. We'll see what they say......
    Just wondering what the dealer had to say this time. How many more miles do you need to drive it before it starts getting better gas mileage?
    shen1,

Sorry to hear about the gas mileage you are getting on your new vehicle. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    I am glad to hear that you are working with your local dealer. Please feel free to keep us posted. If you have any questions in the meantime please feel free to contact Christina by email. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
    Hi Tricia - please forward Christina's email and I will follow up with her. I see quite a few replies and condolences from GMC representatives. Are there any proactive measures being done on your end? There seems to be alot of your customers online complaining about the same problem. the under inflated tire response doesn't appear to resolve the problem. i really hate that I paid cash for the vehicle. Otherwise i would give it back.
    You can contact her by clicking on the gmcustsvc username and using that email address.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • davidswidavidswi Member Posts: 3
    I have 2600 miles on a 2011 Acadia Denali the gas milage is horrific. Been to the dealer, but of course everything is "fine". I am averaging 14 mpg with 90% of the driving on a highway. I will never buy a GM product again. I also have a Nissan Armada hich gets 17 - 19 mpg driving the same route I take my Acadia. The rating is completely false. Never have I been so upset with milage on a car. Average range on a tank is 300 - 325 miles. Are you kidding me?
    I think there are enough of us to do a class action! Gas is to high to be stuck with a new SUV that doesnt do what the rating states! Not even close!
    GM dealerships are of no help. My 2011 Acadia Denali is awful for mpg. I get the typical "everything looks fine" when 14 mpg overall is anything but fine. I am asking the dealer to take my vehicle back. 300 mile range is not acceptable when 90% of the driving is highway. No more GM product for my family.
    I am pushing the dealer to take my car back, (lease) and refund the deposit. They acted like my problem was isolated, but of course it is no problem. When I read ALL of these items, it just made me more pissed off. ANd the BS about breaking a car in..... what is this 1975? Come on. I went back to an Americal car, thinking it might be ok, but I have learned my lesson. I should have stuck with an X5. Highway mpg was >25, and service included.
    davidswi,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? If not, I would recommend setting up a case with them. I would be happy to do so for you. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Wow glad I stopped by here. Was looking at Terrain Forum and their gas mileage is also terrible along with Equinox owners with 4 cyl engines. Was
    going to look at Acadia but looks like I am back to European or Japanese cars.

My runabout is a 2011 VW Jetta Diesel 45 mpg is common every morning when I drive to work. Has been flawless. These cars are the best kept secrets and the new Passat is bigger and more Accord Camry size. I wanted a SUV how is GM going to help all these people getting 14 mpg. The Equinox forum is full of mpg complaints from many more people than here.