Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Real World MPG

Comments

• olds4olds4 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and i have a 2007 Acadia which we have enjoyed for well over a year now.I have been very impressed with the mpg of our Acadia = 19-21 city/hwy driving.I truely find it an accomplishment for a vehicle of this size and weight not to mention the amount of power the engine puts out to get this kind of fuel milage.Just to put things into perspective - i also have a 1997 GMC Sonoma,single cab,step side with a 4cyl standard which only gets 24-28 mpg. I just wish my wife could drive a standard so we could trade off sometimes.

I have read a lot of post about Acadias on this site and i have come to the conclusion that most people do not know how to figure their fuel milage.Take my wife for instance - she always goes by what the onboard display tells her,which is sometimes not fully accurite.The onboard display was showing around 17mpg,but when i did the real math my self (miles divided by gallons of gas) it came out to 19mpg.This test being in a 3-day period of driving back and fourth to work-city/hyw 50/50.There are a lot of red lights and my foot is very heavy - so i was very happy with my results.So my point being - if you do not like the mpg that the onboard display shows - just do the math yourself,it may make you feel better.

going on 20,000 miles-and my 2nd power steering pump.a happy customer so-far.
  • stdavisstdavis Member Posts: 7
    After taking my Acadia back to the dealer and having them go through the car to ensure everything is 100% they told me that a couple of things might help the MPG, so I thought I would pass it along.
    First, I took them up on replacing the air in my tires with nitrogen. I thought this was a gimmick, but it was only 39.95 plus tax and I am willing to try anything at this point to improve the MPG. They also told me to run the tiers at 38 psi from the 32-34 I was running. Initially it looks like I gained a 1-2 MPG
    Second, they told me to make sure I filled up at Tier 1 gas stations and be sure to only fill up with pure gas, no ethanol. This seems to have given me another 1-2 MPG improvement.
    Third, they tell me that GMC will come out with a new spec for their transmission soon and that I could expect a little improvement from this as well, but it might be a while. Apparently, this will only be a programing change in the transmission shift points that should result in fewer shifts between 20-30 mph. I think the transmission shifts fine, but they tell me there are a lot of complaints regarding how much shifting the vehicle does in this range.
    The end result for now is that I have seen a change from ~12.5 mpg in town 14.5-15mpg. This is 100% in town driving under pretty much the worse conditions for mpg, with continuous stop and go averaging about 25-40 miles a day calculated manually over several tanks of gas and the on board computer is dead on.
    We'll take a nice long road trip soon and see it we can achieve anywhere near the 20mpg+ that so many people have reported getting.

I must also say that since our Acadia is only 6 months old and we have put about 6k on her that the dealer told us they would be willing to swap for a different Acadia if it came down to that. I would hate to put this to the test, but at least it was a offer that goes above and beyond what I thought they would do. I told them I might consider giving up the AWD for better MPG if I could get everything else the same. Of course the AWD shouldn't be a factor since all the driving has been done under dry conditions where the AWD shouldn't be kicking in.

White Diamond Tri-Coat
    08 Acadia SLT 2 AWD
  • shoshy5shoshy5 Member Posts: 1
    we only get 8.2 miles per gallon city NORMAL driving. my armada got b/w 10-11 mpg. just got it about a month ago have to fill it up every 5-6 days and summmer were hardly driving like the schoolyear . the dealer said maybe the computer needs to be adjusted, is the computer eating my gas? also when i accelerate the car kind of kicks like its trying to catch up to speed.
  • txbricklayertxbricklayer Member Posts: 16
    Drove to San Antonio and back from Houston over Christmas. 2008 Acadia had 22mpg going to SA and 28 coming back. Wind power rules!
  • acadiaregretacadiaregret Member Posts: 5
    I have an 08 AWD Acadia and I get 10 mpg city / 14 mpg hwy
    If you find any solutions let me know GMC sure doesn't have any. We have never achieved anything better the 12.5-13.5 in town with very little mix of highway and 17-19 on the road. Makes me regret trading the 99 Tahoe that did better and had much more horse power and performance. At least I knew I was giving up fuel economy for performace with the Acadia I get neither.
    All GMC could offer was keeping the Nitogen pressure (which is a joke as far as I can tell) in the tires at 38-40 and using 100% gas with no ethanol. I think this results in about 1 mile per gallon difference.
    There where rumurs that GMC would come out with a better automatic shifting algorithm for the transmission, but I have never seen it.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Now that my '08 AWD Acadia is broken in, we've been getting mostly 13-14 MPG city and 20-24 MPG highway depending on conditions. We've never come close to getting the 16 MPG city EPA rating, but easily beat the 22 MPG highway rating if the conditions are favorable.

I consider these numbers to be well within reasonable tolerances. The Acadia is a bit of a pig in stop and go traffic, but really shines on the highway for a vehicle this size.
  • victorg009victorg009 Member Posts: 9
    Acadia can archive 30-35 MPG under certain conditions, but in everyday city driving it gets 10-15 MPG only. In 1st week of owning I found it has 2 driving modes: power and efficiency. Efficiency is activated only when cruse control is ON or at higher speed, otherwise it is in hungry power mode with loud engine noise despite standard acoustic package and feels like driving a truck (but after a week of driving you stop noticing noise).

When cruse control is engaged, the speed is considered to be constant, and in theory it does not require much power/torque to fight wind/tires drag. Therefore in cruse control the transmission algorithm uses higher gear and lower engine RPM 1400-1600 (2000RPM at 65mph). On the flat road ODBII scanner shows instant MPG 35+ at 40mph, 30MPG at 65mph and slightly less at higher speed.

It takes lots of gas to accelerate 3 tons on metal, plastic and rubber, or drive it uphill. Therefore during acceleration/uphill MPG is never above 10, and can be even lower. The only way to increase fuel efficiency for acceleration/uphill is to change driving habits. Buy PLX Kiwi OBDII Scanner and Fuel Saving Device. As for me Acadia proved that I need PLX Kiwi and I will be getting one.

Now to the root of low fuel efficiency problem. When not using cruse control at low speed 25-40 mph, transmission algorithm uses lower gear to run engine at 2000 RPM or slightly higher, and car gets about 15 MPG. Engine noise gets louder too. On cruise control on the same road it runs engine at 1400-1500RPM, and about 25 MPG. Efficient lower RPM program handles constant speed even with some uphill/downhill without any problems (ODBII scanner shows good MPG drop when going uphill on cruise control).

My 2005 Camry drives at reasonable 1200-1500RPM at lower speeds on flat road, and I believe that Acadia engine can still provide enough power at 1500RPM. I am going to dealer to have transmission reprogrammed to shift to higher gear sooner to match driving with cruise control ON.
  • chrisggchrisgg Member Posts: 4
    victorg009,
    Any update on your PLX Kiwi or asking dealer to reprogram transmission to shift to higher gear sooner?
    Which model PLX Kiwi are you getting?
    Thx
    Look for "PLX Kiwi OBDII Scanner and Fuel Saving Device" on Amazon. I already have ScanGauge II and it gives me instant MPG on Acadia, and can show summary for all day trips including miles driven, gas burned, average MPG etc, but it requires pressing several buttons at the end of the trip which I always forget, and PLX Kiwi does it automatically. If I did not have ScanGauge II I would get Kiwi already, now I am still scrambling money to get it.

My Acadia went through first tank of gas which lasted less than 300 miles, and this includes some highway driving. I am still learning at which speeds (in range 25-50 mph which are typical city driving speeds) transmission shift into higher gear, it appears that at certain speeds it up-shifts and at some others like 25mph stays in 2000RPM range with loud engine noise and 15 instant MPG (25 MPG when up-shifts).

Sales department at dealer said I need to talk to service department manager about transmission programming, but I am still building my case which would include speeds at which it stays at silly 2000RPM and how much extra gas in $$$ it burns.

However I verified that my statement about cruse control is true – it always shifts into higher gear to stay in 1500RPM range regardless of speed (in city driving), and MPG is 50% higher with lower RPM.
  • vomavoma Member Posts: 1
    AM CONSIDERING 2010 ACADIA. WOULD APPRECIATE ANYONE WITH TOWING EXPERIENCE COMMENTING ABOUT ITS ABILITY IN THIS AREA. SPECS SAY IT CAN TOW 5K LBS. BUT I AM SKEPTICAL WITH THE 6 CYL ENG. PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE WEIGHT YOU TOW.
    Considering the seemly under powered performance I get, I wouldn't expect much when towing. I don't think I would consider towing anything over 50% of the rated towing capacity, other than just short haul towing a boat to the lake or a 1 time towing of a trailer to move, I think towing regulary would be a big disappointment.
    Since I have been so negative regarding the performance characteristics and the fuel economy of this vehicle, I thought I would take a brief moment to praise the handling in the recent bad weather here in OKC. I thought I had made a big mistake buying the AWD and have always blamed the bad fuel economy on the AWD, but my recent experience in the OK Blizzard of 09 was exceptional. Even if I never need the AWD again it paid off big time in these conditions. I did a 400 mile round trip from OKC to Stilwell on Christmas Eve and Christmad day, and other than all the issues with everyone else and the delays due to everyone else's problems I sailed through the worst driving conditions I have ever seen with this vehicle. I can't say enough about how well it performed and the fact that it kept my family safe during this 12 hour ordeal.
    I guess there is a silver lining after all.
  • rcoombercoombe Member Posts: 2
    I have been very disappointed and frustrated by the low gas mileage that I get on my 2009 Acadia. I get 16 mpg routinely and have once recorded 19 mpg on a completely highway trip, the best mileage for me. I had a 2000 Suburban that slill got 16-17 mpg routinely and would have bought another one, but gave up the power and size for the Acadia which is definitely not living up to the dealer claims.
    Join the club and get used to it. There are no fixes for this problem. 2+yrs with the 2008 AWD and the best it is ever going to get is 13-14 in town and 19 on the road. With a mix you might average 15-17. I wouldn't mind so much if there was plenty of power to offset the loss of fuel economy, but it is severely under powered as well.
    All I can say is if you ever have the opportunity to drive in severe weather you will learn to apprecite the handling characteristics of the AWD anyway.
    I don't care what other people say on the board regarding great fuel economy results with this vehicle, that is not typical and GM (Gov't motors) has no reputation to up hold so lying about fuel economy is just SOP.
  • jebutler848jebutler848 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 2010 Acadia last week and traded in a 2008 Tahoe with only 17000 miles. Only traded for more options for the wife, the Tahoe got 18 Mpg in town and 21-22 on the highway. This ACADIA ONLY GETS 13 MPG in town and on short trip. Advertised so much better mileage that I got in a hurry to purchase for an upcoming vacation. The salesman told me you need to drive it about 3 or 4,000 miles for the computer to learn how you drive. LOLLLL, give me a break. Do not buy a 2010 Acadia if you don't own a gas station. I am still crying, what a nightmare, cannot get my Tahoe back and it's only been a week and a half.

Jim Butler, Midland, TX.
    The dealership picked it up today. Said they did some work on the computer and now it shows to be getting up to 19.5 MPG when I run it 40 miles down the Interstate. Also the front end was pulling continually, said they worked on it. Drove 2 miles down city street, stopped at 3 traffic lights and never touched the steering wheel. Guess they fixed that for sure. Still a far cry from advertised mileage, but sure is better than 13.1 MPG. Will give it some time and see how it goes. First tank of gas (dealer gas) at 100 miles was considerably below half tank, now after filling it up and having them work on it, have a 144 miles and just under 3/4 tank. That looks a little better. Sure makes me feel better about giving up a beautiful Tahoe for a downsized SUV.
    Will let everyone know next few days how the mileage increases or decreases.

Jim Butler
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2010
    I think that's pretty typical for a lot of new cars and I think the salesperson was right when he said to give it 3 or 4,000 miles.

We just had a similar discussion over in Answers involving a new Tahoe. I think it's going to take a few tanks before you get a good indication of how your future mpg is going to be.

And while those mileage indicators are pretty accurate these days, I'd still track a few tanks manually just to be sure.
  • acadia_10_awdacadia_10_awd Member Posts: 3
    I PURCHASED A 2010 ACADIA SLE AWD IN MARCH. I HAVE TRACKED GAS MILAGE FROM GO. HAVE FILLED UP ABOUT TEN TIMES NOW. MILAGE IS NOT GETTING ANY BETTER. I AM AT APROX. 2500 MILES TOTAL ON CAR. IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE AND IT SEEMS TO NOT RUN SMOOTH AT ALL? I DO MOSTLY SUBURBAN DRIVING, STOP AND GO AROUND TOWN. I GET 12-13 MPG ALL DAY EVERY DAY. SAW 14 MPG ONE TANK AND NOW LAST TANK WITH USING THE A/C A TON I GOT 11 MPG. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY CAN SAY YOU GET 16 - 23 MPG??? I HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN 16. WHAT COURSE OF ACTION CAN I TAKE FROM HERE? I AM COMPLETELY DISATISFIED WITH THE MILAGE. HELL I WOULD OF BOUGHT AN EXPEDITION IF I KNEW THE MILAGE WAS THIS BAD ON THE ACADIAS!!! AT LEAST I WOULD EXPECT IT. THIS IS VERY SHADY BUSINESS FOR GM. WHAT CAN I DO??
    edited July 2010
    We bought 2010 AWD Acadia in Nov-2009 and it had 13 MPG in city and around 20 MPG on highway. It came with 2010 Acadia transmission program which used lower gear than necessary and engine RPM stayed around 2000 RPM or more regardless of speed. See my post #61 in this thread for details.

In April dealer reprogrammed transmission and now car delivers about 15MPG in city driving and engine RPM stays at 1500 or lower when driving at constant speed below 56 MPH. At speeds above 56MPH it behaves same as before reprogramming.

The new transmission program was not a standard 2010 Acadia programming, and it came from GMC headquarters after I was contacted by GMC regarding my MPG/RPM concerns that I filled in New Vehicle Survey from JD Power and Associates.
  • acadia4meacadia4me Member Posts: 7
    I have had my 2011 Acadia (SLT2 AWD) for about a month now and my gas mileage is going down, not up. I am currently averaging 9.6MPH a far cry from the advertised rating which coincidentally includes over 100 miles of interstate driving with cruise control! Called the dealer and got a complete run around. My previous V8 got almost twice the mileage and had far more power. This vehicle has been a huge disappointment.
  • anakleon75anakleon75 Member Posts: 23
    Got my acadia 31Aug/2011 Awd SLT/1, and todate almost 1800mi did my road test for 3x to placerville back to SFO and its same as i've got 20.5mi/pgal driving @55 to 65mph and 12 - 15 in city. To date, my concern is that starting the engine from overnight parking, i have noticed loud sound while warming the engine and it will last for more than 1 minute. I have my old car (sold out ) but did not have this kind of engine warming. Well, this is new and i hope they GM dealership and true that all issues and recalls from model 2007 - 2010 were all modified and no more troubles for acadia 2011. Pls text me some of your updates (2011 SLT/2). Did you
    noticed that 2011 height is lower than old models?? Well, i can say is GOOD LUCK AND HAVE SAFE DRIVING FOR BOTH US!!
  • stanley07stanley07 Member Posts: 1
    What type of Acdia do you have? Just got a 2011 FWD SLT2 and I am on the second tank of gas. First tank I have not calculated as I had a lot of idling setting stuff up. So far I am happy with the vehicle. :)
    I have the same thing, only a 2010. SLT2 with all the bells and whistles. Nav, Sunroof, DVD, leather buckets front and back, added running boards for wife.Still not getting the kind of mileage that I got with the 08 Tahoe that I traded for this. But am happy with it now. Had to have it towed in once so far because could not get it out of park at grocery store. Very aggravating. But had same problem the day I brought it, brought it on Saturday and could not take delivery until on Monday when they could get it out of park. Should have been a clue. But I am happy with it. Will probably go with the Denali next year or so. I've only got 7000 miles on it now, put on 4200 on vacation the first month of service. So only drive about 30or 40 miles a week. Should not have to fill up every two weeks, but I do. You learn to love the vehicle not the window stickers. Ha Ha.
  • hockessinhockessin Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    I bought an AWD 2011 Acadia in the summer in Newark, DE. The salesperson told me to expect 16 - 24 MPG. On average, I get 13 -14 MPG, whether city or highway. After 3 months of driving, I called the GMC service department to see if there was a problem with my car and they told me that 13-14 MPG is typical. I'm very upset!!! I would have never bought the Acadia if I would have know it was a 13-14MPG SUV. I will never buy a GMC again. The car is nice, but overall I'm dissatisfied. The horrible gas mileage makes the smaller issues seem worse (there are quite a few). For a $40K+ car, I was expecting much more. Stay away from the Acadia and GMC manufactured autos.
  • surprenantsurprenant Member Posts: 1
    I was planning on ordering an Acadia this month.
    My assumption was it would get better milage than my 07 Tahoe 15-17 MPG. Is the 2011 better MPG than older Acadia's? Its rated at 24 on the highway, from what I'm reading in the forum, I shouldn't expect to get in the high teens low 20's. HELP
    I am not getting as good as mileage as I would expect nor what I was led to believe. My 08 Tahoe was better than my 2010 Acadia, but I have grown to like it regardless. I might keep it another year and go to either a Yukon or another Tahoe, but not another Acadia. Hope that tells you what you wanted to know. Dealership did do some work on my computer (supposedly) and it does do better than it did when I first brought it......
  • legalbgl1legalbgl1 Member Posts: 1
    We just traded in our 08 Honda Pilot for the 2011 Acadia AWD SLT1. My wife's biggest complaint is the gas mileage. The Pilot killes the Acadia in mileage. However, in every other way the Acadia is far and away the more comfortable SUV and IMHO a better SUV. Going to talk to the dealer about the computer fix though and see if that does anything.
  • nojobnojob Member Posts: 1
    Have 2011 Acadia, 1200 miles. Took a trip at 75 mph, under 2000 rpm, flat ground, speed control,and only got 19.7 mpg. My previous 2 vehicles (Fords) got the advertised mileage from the first day. I bought this truck because of the advertised 24 mpg. Has anyone reported that they got the advertised mileage?
    I drive an 08 bought new Jan 08. I have never been able to get any satisfaction about the MPG. You get precisely the same results I get.
    If you drop down to less than 70 MPH you will see that you also drop below 2k RPM's the MPG will go to about +22.1 MPG given enough miles. That is probably the best you will ever see unless you can stand to drive 60MPG where you might see 24MPG.
    I think the only people reporting that they get 24MPG or anything near it are people that live in areas where the typical highway speed is 65 or less. I think for everyone in the midwest that can go 70+ MPH on the highways and 75+ on the turnpikes for extended periods will never see less better than 20MPG.
    In addition the mixed highway and in town low speed and highspeed driving will be less than 17MPG. I think the best we ever see in town is 12-13 MPG.

This is the results we have always gotten with the AWD SLT 2. We have tried a few techiques for improving mileage with no results. Running only pure GAS with no ethenol keeping the tires aired up to 34 or more with nitrogen, etc, ect, ect...

I think the whole programing the transmission for different shift points is bogus as well. The fact is the V6 is just under powered for this heavy a vehicle. Obviously the shifting in and out of overdrive on the highway with just the slightest incline on the road to maintain 70+MPH on cruise control is a contributing factor, but if you change the shift points the vehicle won't be able to maintain the cruise setting within 5MPH, but it might not be so irratating.

This is extremely disappointing, there are other factors that make this a nice vehicle, but when you have given up a loaded Tahoe that was a fantastic vehicle for 10years and got better MPG and more horse power with better performance on the road it is hard to feel like you made a good decision.

All I can say is the AWD was FANTASTIC in the blizzard of Christmas Eve 09 in OKC and that alone has paid for the decision to go AWD in an area where I didn't really think it was necessary, but I don't believe the AWD is a factor on the MPG anyway.

I recently drove a 2011 Chrsyler Jeep Grand Cherokee on a long road trip and got better than 25 MPG on the trip. I couldn't believe how much Chrysler has improved this vehicle. Never been a Chrysler fan but that vehicle almost changed my mind.

It had great performance and I think it was a V8. Lot of horse power and get up and go. Very comfortable ride plently of room for a big guy and nicer fit and finish that I have ever seen before in a Chrysler product. For the price of a loaded Acadia I am sure you can get a comparably loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee. I haven't looked maybe I am way off base.

One of factor that makes a difference for me is that Bob Howard Chevy has a service manager that has always been great to us, and that is worth a lot. Not that I have needed him for much, but it always helps to have someone you can count on, on the service side.

The rear hatch shocks have failed twice and the heated water reservoir for the wind shield had a recall, but other than the leaky sun roof that took a couple of time to correct if has been trouble free over 3 years.

If GM could just get the MPG right this would be a 8+, but in my mind it will never be better than a 7 unless they come out with a V8. Maybe the new Denali?
  • balkybalky Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    could you share what the dealership changed in the programming to get your mileage up? I recently bought a 2010 AWD, picked it up at the end of December have gone through about 3 tanks of gas so far with 1600km on the odometer. I am not sure why you would have to wait for an engine to be "broken-in" as every new vehicle i have owned over the last 10 years ( has been 4 so far- 2 fords - 1 toyota - i honda) all gave excellent mileage off the get go. The CSR told me that i need to have at least 10k to then consider there is a problem if i still see this mileage issue. I am going to take it back to the dealer and have them check it out . it just seems that the engine is burning to "rich" for some reason any suggestions??
  • happyowner09happyowner09 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 09 AWD. Honestly it gets better mileage than I would have thought. I am on the Canadian prairies, so we have some pretty cold weather, which does decrease my mpg. I average about 20 mpg in winter, driving about 40 miles per day. In warm weather, I average 25+ and have even done as good as 30 when I drive a little slower. Typical speeds here are about 70 mph. I am absolutely happy with my Acadia and have had several friends buy one after seeing mine. Luckily I have had no mechanical issues at all, and I have over 50000 miles on it since I bought it new in Dec 08. Hope this helps some of you to know it is possible to get better mileage. Oh, and it seems that of people I know that drive Acadias, the 08's did not get as good of mileage as the newer models.
  • nmydstnmydst Member Posts: 30
    I own a 2011 SLT-1 FWD Acadia that we did a buyback with GM on our 2009 SLT-1 FWD Acadia. Both were brand new vehicles, but with our 2009 we only got to drive it for 4200 miles before it was released to the dealer. During our ownership the average gas mileage we got was 16/17 and that was with me driving half city and highway with speeds averaging between 45-70 daily. With the 2011 I have 4800 miles and I am lucky if I see 15. I don't know if it has to do with weather because I am auto starting the car to warm it up, then you have the heater running constintely. In the summer once in awhile i will auto start the car to cool it off and yes we ran the air conditioner, but we also had the sunroof open and windows open alot of the time too. I think gas has gotten crappier too. In the 2009 I could fill the car up and it would last me for 2 weeks. Now I fill the car up once a week and I'm going about the same amount of distance as before. Right now my car is reading at 12. I used to own a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and thought that it getting 17 in the city and 24 highway( sometimes on a really good trip my husband could push it to 30) was hurting but this is ridiculous! I'm afraid to start letting someone mess with the computer in my car and tinkering with other things..sometimes that leads to creating problems then solving problems. I got rid of a big problem in August I don't know if I want to mess with the new car, but I sure want to do something about this gas mileage issue though!
  • hockessinhockessin Member Posts: 2
    I regret buying my 2011 Acadia. I get between 10 - 13 MPG around town. The dealer said it's typical. GM is giving me the run around. Call 800-LemonLaw. Seriously. There's no way a company can advertise 16 - 23 MPG on a vehicle that can't even break 13 MPG around town. Sorry to say, after 6 months of working with GM, there is no good source of relief. To top it off, trade in value for my 6,000 mile 2011 Acadia that cost me $42K is only $30K. One thing I know for sure, I will never buy another GM.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    We have to take the advertised MPG with a grain of salt. It is not the auto company that tests for mileage but a government agency. They decide what goes on the sticker. Unfortunately the tests are under rather ideal conditions. Very difficult to achieve these results especially in the winter and in a city environment. The Acadia is a very heavy vehicle and it takes a lot of energy to get it moving. Stop and go driving is a real gas eater.

I own a 2010 Ford Edge AWD and at this time of year in a city environment I am lucky to get 13 MPG US and it is a few hundred lbs less than an Acadia.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but you could have purchased many different vehicles that would not have achieved their quoted MPG.
  • bat4bat4 Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought a 2011 Acadia. The posted mileage is 17/24..We are not even close!! The car gets 15mpg and my wife drives 75% on the highway. I wish there was some recourse because the reason we traded in the suburban was for better gas mileage. GMC is guilty of false advertisement and if I could I would send it back to the dealer !!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    bat4,

The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper maintenance and good driving habits. Listed below are GM's recommendations to achieve the best mileage possible. The first group are things to consider for your vehicle, while the second are tips relating to your driving habits.

One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy are under inflated tires. Tires low with pressure create drag that the vehicle’s powertrain must overcome, wasting dollars in fuel. Always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure as shown on the vehicle placard. This not only serves to increase gas mileage but cuts down on tire wear, further decreasing your costs per mile.

A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine. This restriction forces the engine to expend energy to "breathe" wasting fuel in the process. Change recommendations are found in your vehicle Owner’s Manual.

Always use the proper viscosity oil in your engine. Oil that has a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine causing more work for it, especially when cold. Each Owner’s Manual contains information on the proper type of oil for your vehicle. Look for the "starburst" symbol on the front of the bottle, and the SM rating on the API circle on the back label. If you are in doubt, stop by your dealer for an oil change, and any other services required. Most current GM vehicles are equipped with oil life monitors to further assist on the "when" to change your oil. (Aveo/Wave/Optra/Epica currently do not have oil life monitors).

Note: GM Vehicles DO NOT require additional engine oil additives. Some additives may cause harmful effects to the internal seals and additionally void the terms of your vehicles New Car Warranty.
    Purchasing higher than required octane fuel is a waste of money. Using higher octane fuels in a vehicle that only required regular unleaded fuel will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage. In all cases refer to your owner’s manual and ONLY use the octane rated fuel recommended for your vehicle.

Even though current GM vehicles have 100,000 mi (160,000 km) service intervals for spark plugs if your vehicle is at that point in its life, have the spark plugs changed to assure proper running and continued efficient, trouble free operation.

Avoid quick/full throttle acceleration from a standstill in town and high cruising speeds on the interstates. While the optimum MPG for highway cruising speed varies from vehicle to vehicle, faster is almost always worse. If your vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center that displays Instant Fuel Economy, select that readout and vary your cruising speed while on the highway. The display will change continuously with uphill and downhill sections but you should quickly be able to identify on level ground the speed range that your vehicle does the best in. Avoid leaving unnecessary items in your trunk. It takes power to move increased weight and that means more gasoline consumption and reduced performance. While the change may be slight, multiplied by thousands of miles, it all adds up. Your vehicle uses much more fuel when the engine is cold. This is especially true in the winter months when the engine will take the longest to warm up. Combine errands or trips so that the vehicle only needs to warm up once to encompass many different stops.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • monicaotmonicaot Member Posts: 2
    Ok, Ive had my 2011 acadia for exactly a week. Everytime I get into my car and drive anywhere I can actually "watch" my gas needle dropping. I cant tell you how many tears I have shed over this this week. I purchased this vehicle for 6 years as opposed to leasing as I usually do and cant get over what a mistake I have made. I bought this car because of the MPG advertised. I know this is an "average" but how can they advertise 17/24 and Im barely getting 11 mpg!!!! Called the dealer and they told me there was a "warm up" period of 4000 miles before I start to see better gas mileage because it is a new engine. BULL! I have always had new vehicles and have never experienced this. This crappy mileage cant even be blamed on my driving habits....I am 9 months pregnant and am definitley not driving aggresively. Keep it under 3000 rpm, and do not stop/gp abruptly. How sad to have a new car that you paid a pretty penny for and not even want to drive it because you're scared of the gas that it is consuming. Can't wait to get to a point that Im not upside down on it to get rid of it. This has me extremely depressed. Has anyone experienced this at the initial purchase but seen improvements?
    GMC has a lot of nerve advertising this vehicle in this manner. NEVER NEVER AGAIN!!! To hell with GM and their crappy customer service.
    A government agency sets the posted MPG for vehicles, not the auto companies. The test is under ideal conditions in a lab. Cold weather is not taken into consideration. The Acadia is a heavy vehicle and as such requires a lot of energy and gasoline to get it up
    Last part of my posting is missing. to speed is missing. Unfortunately these heavy SUVs never seem to achieve their posted city mileage. When tested under the ideal conditions in the lab, they do much better.

My 2010 Ford Edge will only get 13 mpg in the city under winter conditions with a lot of stop and go. The Edge is about 500lbs lighter than your Acadia, so you can see your mileage is in the ballpark. On the highway with a light foot I can get 25 to 27 mpg.

The warmer weather and with a few thousand miles driven will help the mileage.
  • acadia_10_awdacadia_10_awd Member Posts: 3
    You got it! this post is nothing but you and other yous, same complaint. I have a 2010 Acadia AWD. advertised as 16/23. Hahahahaha. Not even close. more like 11-12/18 for me. I think those should be the numbers. And if they were the numbers no one would buy it, thats why they are not. Every other car I have ever bought or owned got exactly what was advertised or dam near close. Not sure why this is so far off, miles on city and highway?? I think the way they figure the milage they changed that process. So cars look like they are doing better on gas when they really arn't??? The hell with lab testing. Just go out and drive it for a week or two and that should be the dam numbers. I remember watching a review of this car that said to expect 14 miles a gallon average, but I said no thats not right, stupid me should of listened. I wasn't expecting great milage. But if it was 16/23 advertised and we do a little of both city and hwy ( more city), I was thinking I would get 19-20 miles a gallon because we are not hard drivers, which would be great. But no its more like 11-13 all day every day. BIG difference. I am not even getting the 16 in the city which would of been worse case scenario??? I am stuck with mine I guess too for a while. I can't even go 250 miles without getting more gas. WHOOOHOOOO! :mad: :cry: :mad: :cry::cry: ...
  • skpaskpa Member Posts: 3
    We bought our 2011 Acadia in November. We have approximately 2500 miles on it and are experiencing terrible gas mileage as well. I share your feeling of not wanting to drive the Acadia because of the poor fuel economy.

Not only is the fuel economy an issue, but the 2010 and 2011 Acadias emit black and blue smoke/exhaust on cold start ups. I had this looked at by a GMC district service manager who claims this is by design from GMC > Fuel is sprayed into the catalytic converter on cold starts to heat the converter up quickly producing smoke. Take a look at your tail pipes on the first start of the day to see what comes out of the tailpipes. Hard to believe that $35k+ vehicles emit smoke on start ups.

I share your regets with buying the Acadia.....I wish I stayed with Toyota. I am really thinking of trding mine in at the end of the year.
  • lagonzal1lagonzal1 Member Posts: 2
    We bought our 2011 Acadia on 11/15/2010 and so far it has been running well. In march we took a 2600 mile two way trip to Disney in Florida and the first full tank gaves us 19.6 mpg. We were going north with a strong headwind so I knew my mileage would suffer. The second tank was much better. Heading due east on the interstate through Louisiana with the cruise set at 70 and no headwinds or crosswinds we got 24.6 mpg. We filled up three times on our trip to Kissimmi and each tank got us over 20 mpg. That's with four passengers and luggage. I was pleased. Our old 06 Ford Explorer 4x4 only averaged 20mpg on long trips also at 70mph. So far we love our new Acadia. It is vastly superior to my old Explorer in every category.
    Very good, I have gotten so used to mine that I no longer pay attention to the mileage at all. I guess I am happy with the Acadia and it's features that the mileage doesn't matter, it was just the lies about what to expect that bothered me. My next and probably final vehicle will more than likely be a Yukon. It is roomier and gets about the same mileage. My wife still misses her Tahoe (just didn't have the extra bells and whistles that I wanted for HER). I'm no longer knocking the Acadia, just the lies........... Am glad you are thrilled with yours and hope you have many happy years with it..
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    skpa,

One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy are under inflated tires. Tires low with pressure create drag that the vehicle’s powertrain must overcome, wasting dollars in fuel. Always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure as shown on the vehicle placard. This not only serves to increase gas mileage but cuts down on tire wear, further decreasing your costs per mile.

A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine. This restriction forces the engine to expend energy to "breathe" wasting fuel in the process. Change recommendations are found in your vehicle Owner’s Manual.

Always use the proper viscosity oil in your engine. Oil that has a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine causing more work for it, especially when cold. Each Owner’s Manual contains information on the proper type of oil for your vehicle. Look for the "starburst" symbol on the front of the bottle, and the SM rating on the API circle on the back label. If you are in doubt, stop by your dealer for an oil change, and any other services required. Most current GM vehicles are equipped with oil life monitors to further assist on the "when" to change your oil. (Aveo/Wave/Optra/Epica currently do not have oil life monitors).

Note: GM Vehicles DO NOT require additional engine oil additives. Some additives may cause harmful effects to the internal seals and additionally void the terms of your vehicles New Car Warranty.
    Purchasing higher than required octane fuel is a waste of money. Using higher octane fuels in a vehicle that only required regular unleaded fuel will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage. In all cases refer to your owner’s manual and ONLY use the octane rated fuel recommended for your vehicle.

Even though current GM vehicles have 100,000 mi (160,000 km) service intervals for spark plugs if your vehicle is at that point in its life, have the spark plugs changed to assure proper running and continued efficient, trouble free operation.

Avoid quick/full throttle acceleration from a standstill in town and high cruising speeds on the interstates. While the optimum MPG for highway cruising speed varies from vehicle to vehicle, faster is almost always worse. If your vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center that displays Instant Fuel Economy, select that readout and vary your cruising speed while on the highway. The display will change continuously with uphill and downhill sections but you should quickly be able to identify on level ground the speed range that your vehicle does the best in. Avoid leaving unnecessary items in your trunk. It takes power to move increased weight and that means more gasoline consumption and reduced performance. While the change may be slight, multiplied by thousands of miles, it all adds up. Your vehicle uses much more fuel when the engine is cold. This is especially true in the winter months when the engine will take the longest to warm up. Combine errands or trips so that the vehicle only needs to warm up once to encompass many different stops.

If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • rermanrerman Member Posts: 4
    Hi Folks,

So we are in the same boat as it seems everyone else is. We noticed about 10.5 miles per gallon doing city driving getting up to 15 on the freeway. My wife called and was told to "break" in the engine. It took me driving down to the sales team on Fathers day complaining that the Expedition I traded in got better mileage. The service team than took the car out and reported it got 25.5 miles per gallon in there test run of driving 43 miles... but according to the odometer I went in with and the odometer in the GMC lot picking it up the car had only moved 40 miles total!!! I am really not sure if they are just trying to get me to go away and telling me a BS number. Has anyone had any success getting this fixed? All I want is what was advertised as the mileage 17/24... hell I would accept 15/22, but 10.5/15 is going to make owning this car impossible.

What have others done that has been a successful outcome? Does just going back to service over and over get them to reprogram the car? Does anyone have any good contacts at GMC that were helpful in getting their issue resolved? Did anyone who decided to go through lemon law litigation have any success either getting a new car, or getting rid of this seemingly falsely advertised product?

-Thanks,
    "break-in the engine" is compete boolshit designed to get rid of people who ask "wrong" question. May be 20 years ago it was true, but these days all engines in all new cars get break in at the factory before installed in the car.

After buying your new Acadia you will receive survey from JD Power, fill it in and indicate your fuel concern. Pay attention to how your car drives and compare to other cars. We got our Acadia in 2010 and I noticed that engine was always running at 2000RPM or above even when driving 25mph, and I indicated this in survey and GM contacted me later and reprogrammed transmission. Now RPM is lower and we get 14 MPG in city and 20 MPG on the trips to Tahoe which includes drive up and down 7000' mountain. A long trip on the flat road would give even better MPG than 20.

I think Acadia gets bad MPG b/c it drives with overdrive off. Our other car Camry has overdrive on/off button on transmission, and with overdrive off Camry is more “energetic”, accelerates faster and uses more gas. Acadia does not have overdrive, and it feels like it is always off. Car accelerates at the slight push on gas pedal, and acceleration wastes gas.
    The Acadia has a six speed automatic trans, and the two top gears--5 and 6 are overdrive. Just because there is no button to turn off the overdrive doesn't mean the transmission isn't in overdrive. When the vehicle gets up to the proper speed 5th and then 6th gears are used.

Also engines are not broken in at the factory. They are produced with finer tolerances than in the old days and do not need as long a break in period. It still helps to take it easy for the first 1000 miles. and yes the gas mileage will improve after five or six thousand miles. You are off base on a lot of your facts.
    Hi bdyment,

For these first 500 miles or so of the car we have been as nice to this car as possible in terms of acceleration and speed. I totally get that seals and others internals of the engine need to wear in, but getting 11MPG compared to 17 advertised I don't think is going to be made up engine being broken in? Do you?

Just putting this in dollars and cents, if the car continues to get 11MPG instead of 17MPG and I do nothing, and I own the car for 70,000 miles, I will pay an extra $10,000 in gas (assuming it only stays near 4 bucks).
    Hi Victor,

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly keep a look out for the survey, and hopefully someone will help get this car near its intended gas mileage.