Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

It's official - Cerberus buys Chrysler

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Still, for those of us who drive them forever, this is a pretty big deal. I got into a Voyager in '89 and the 7/70 powertrain warranty was a big factor for me back then.

Going to the dealer on the 5th anniversary will be hard for me. :shades:
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Yeah, that non-trasnferable didn't escape my notice.

I will say that that kind of warranty would remove my biggest concern about Chryslers.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    excellent point. The tranny is the ONLY reason we are giving serious thought to what we will do at the end of our Pacifica lease.

On one hand, we really like it and, for the right buyout, we'd like to keep it. But then I think about that tranny. I have one with a 75k mile warranty, so even if I keep it, it would probably only be until we hit 70k miles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    But the Caliber coming from the Neon means that it will never run reliably, ever.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    uhhh... no relation other than the fact that it REPLACED the neon. New engine, new tranny, new platform.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I could see why one would want to hold onto a Pacifica. I haven't looked but I wonder what kind of incentives are on the new ones?

The vans are nuts! $4K off the top and another $1,500if you own any other Chrysler product for 30 days or more. Then they add that warranty.

I'll expect them to come drive one to my house....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I have been thinking about getting a work truck for a while now and this pretty much decided it for me assuming they still have it in effect when I decide to buy one.
  • Options
    urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    Even though it's non-transferable it is one helluva deal. I predict this will boost Chrysler sales considerably.
  • Options
    We got something like $10k off sticker on our Pacifica almost 2 years ago when they were running that employee pricing for everyone. Someone recently posted a similar price in the prices forum because they get employee pricing. So it would seem it hasn't changed much.

• Options
    I see fitzmall is selling Pacificas at about $7K under MSRP. Close but not quite the deal on the minivans.

That sort of thing has me wondering. Now I just replaced the old Ody with a CPO early this year but the thought of a $30K T&C for $23K and a lifetime powertrain warranty certainly has my radar going....
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    By itself, I don't think it will do much to boost Chryslers sales.
    Most new car buyers won't keep the car long enough to benefit.
    Plus,being powertrain only,the benefits are limited.
    Even chryslers powertrains are pretty reliable.
    Plus,its not transferable,so it brings no vlaue @ trade in or re-sale time.
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I've been giving this some thought ... the only folks who will benefit from this are the ones who buy new and keep forever. Which means that they would be out of the market for a new vehicle for many, many years.

Is the idea to get folks to try a Chrysler-bus product? Much like Hyundai did with its 10yr/100K warranty?
  • Options
    I'm sure this is exactly that - an attempt to out-Hyundai Hyundai. The thing that keeps me from doing anything with it is it would mean committing to a Chrysler long term. I don't know if I have that in me.
  • Options
    The thing that keeps me from doing anything with it is it would mean committing to a Chrysler long term. I don't know if I have that in me.

Me, too. Just isn't anything that they make that I'd be interested in.

Of course, at the moment I'm all over the map thinking about my next car... :D
  • Options
    All over the map is a good thing. It keeps your options open....

I'm still in a minivan in the family mode and since my wife puts on way more miles than I do these days she's got the regular car...
  • Options
    I'm still in a minivan in the family mode...

Well, with the size of your clan, I can certainly understand why!

So, you gonna trade that Odyssey in for a T&C?
  • Options
    Thats all fine and dandy, but the Neon was designed, engineered, and built by the same folks at Chrysler that dreamt, thought up, and produced the Caliber. Same people, same company, same result.

Expect an extremely unreliable experience. Don't say I didn't warn you.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    Past performance is no guarantee for future performance, neither for better or worse. I'm beginning to think the PT Cruiser may be one of the best buys in the small car market. I think I'd take one instead of a Caliber.
  • Options
    I haven't completely ruled it out but I'm thinking I'll stick with the Ody.

I'm down to three kids in the car at most times. Ever since the oldest got a car she doesn't ride with us anymore....
  • Options
    I'm not sure why you are in a chrysler topic if you hate them so much.

I also have to assume you don't trust Nissans and Mitsubishis.

• Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    is probably an excellent marketing stunt; as someone said earlier they are trying to out Hyundai-Hyundai.

I know it's non-transferable, but this alleviates a lot of fears in regards to the powertrains and transmissions of their cars.
    Who knows? With the deals on Chrysler products, it might be worth a look, and it certainly caught my eye.
  • Options
    I rarely see any positive posts from them on anything I think they just come here to rant.
  • Options
    This warranty deal got me looking over in the Chrysler van forums. I don't think I'm that adventurous.
  • Options
    eugenedeugened Member Posts: 7
    Chrysler makes some nice looking cars, but ownership experience is not great. I purchased new PT Cruiser Limited in 2001 and put only 30,000 miles on it. Since then I had to replase rack and pinion for 1800$, onboard computer and side air bag computer for 1000$, and another repair was for engine harness - estimated cost 1600$. Total about 4500$ in repairs in 6 years. And I took great maintenance of the car. All repairs happen after warranty expires. My neighbor bought Toyota Camry at the same time. Hi did not spend a single cent on repairs. Just regular maintenance. I already get rid of PT, he still driving Toyota. My next car is mazda5, and no way I will buy or recommend Chrysler again.
    They have to do something extra ordinary, like 10 years transferable bumper-to-bumper to win people back. The non - transferable lifetime powertranny is a joke. Who is going to drive the same (PT?) car whole life? And does not increase resale value.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This is always going to be a matter of personal experience. I'm on my second Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4x4 diesel. The first one was a 1996, ordered from the factory to my spec. I owned it nearly 9 years and put 127,000 miles on it. Even with that age and mileage, the dealer actually had it in their used car lot and even parked it at the main driveway entrance for a week. I had no mechanical or electrical failures. I replaced it with another ordered 2005 and have had it nearly 2 1/2 years. I drive more now, and it's already over 46,000 miles. Again, no failures. All that means is, I got two great Rams and you had a poor PT. These vehicles are machines built on assembly lines, and while most of them are just fine, you do get some bad ones... I had a bad Ford that led me to Dodge, but if someone else wants a Ford, it's not for me to stop them. I know people who have had Fords for years with no sweat.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    I've actually owned only one Chrysler - a 98 Sebring convertible. I had to get rid of it because the family got bigger. It never gave me a bit of trouble. My brother had it a couple of years after that and did well with it. Same brother had maybe three Chrysler vans with not nearly the same results.

That said my daughter has a troublesome Toyota. It can happen.
  • Options
    bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    the Neon was designed, engineered, and built by the same folks at Chrysler that dreamt, thought up, and produced the Caliber.

Not so much. The platform is mostly Mitsubishi (Lancer) and the engine is mostly Hyundai (GEMA).
  • Options
    Chrysler was responsible for the interior design though, right? It's an awful lot of hard plastic that you don't really see in the Elantra or Lancer.
  • Options
    2 schools of thought on this one. You see cheap, I see useful. Given its dimensions, it is going to be used for much more utility purposes. The interior design makes it VERY easy to keep clean.

Seems to me they took a page from the Element book on the interior design.

• Options
    I'd say the difference is more the fact that you got trucks and not cars. The difference isn't from personal experience, because a majority of Chrysler owners go elsewhere after one stint.

They can make a truck, but they can't make a car last more than 3 years or 36K miles. And the warranty does not increase the resale value directly correlated to quality and durability.
  • Options
    That's a good point. Those interiors do look very durable.
  • Options
    metro123metro123 Member Posts: 100
    I have this strange picture in my mind. It's the year 2037 and someone is towing in a 30 year old Dodge Caliber to their local Dodge dealer. The car is trashed, it has like 300K miles on the odometer, with a blown engine. The owner smugly tells the service manager, "I want a new engine, fix it under warranty. !!

Boy would I like to see the look on his face.
  • Options
    You are assuming that there will be a dodge dealer in 2037.
  • Options
    Oh. Ouch! Lol!

metro - if they would come out with the SRT4 already AND if they are around in even 10 years, that COULD be me. ;b

• Options
    I don't hold anything against Dodge they didnt earn
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    includes some engineering design work being done by Chery to build the new Hornet. The subject came up about engineering plans for the little stinger. Like for it's chassis, for instance. Dodge will oversee the new mini's production like doting parents but they won't be supplying all of the engineering for it. So says a particular Chinese car website I've been frequenting lately. The costs of building this car are significantly lower in China with Chery building it. Even with lower labor costs for Chery they will not even profit from building the car, how would anyone expect Dodge to make a penny from it building it in America? There's no way. Small cars don't return enough profit, yet, new fuel standards set forth plus skyrocketing fuel prices in the U.S.have even GM re-thinking the small car import to the U.S. GM will invest $6.4B in to their GM Daewoo subsidiary in South Korea and import some truly small rigs to the U.S. in "two years". Huh? Better late than never I spose.

I have read quotes of the new Hornet's U.S. price to be only $12,000 for the 6-speed manual version of the car. It will arrive in late 2008 or early 2009 to the U.S. Chery will barely make a dime off each Hornet but they are very hungry for the exposure and experience and chance to get their "foot in the door" to the potentially lucrative NA car market.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    The deal has closed... Chrysler is now American and private:

DaimlerChrysler press release on Cerberus/Chrysler closing

And "The New Chrysler" announces a First Day celebration:

The New Chrysler press release

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    New Chrysler's initial stock price will be. Glad to see the deal is done and the company can move forward and concentrate on making good vehicles for the future.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    There will not be a stock price. The new Chrysler is 100% private. Cerberus won't release Chrysler as an IPO for another 4-5 years at least.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...touting "The New Chrysler Corporation" back in the early 1980s. Is this the New New New Chrysler Corporation? Seems they've died and come back more times than the Smothers Brothers.
  • Options
    We need to get behind the new Chrysler emergence, regardless of third edition status, and begin rebuilding our power base through independence from as many foreign sources as possible-- and NOW. I feel far less adamant about "captive" imports than those that are not.
  • Options
    Chrysler would have disappeared the first time they got into financial troubles.

The world would be so much happier and prosperous had that happened!

Oh well..
  • Options
    Ya think?

Heck, it makes me sad to think we would not have the current revitalization of the full-size American RWD performance sedan. Ford and Chevy certainly weren't going to step up and do it.

• Options
    Daewoo and Daihatsu would have dominated the transportation world... :P
  • Options
    Chrysler's new CEO.

I can picture it now. Chrysler stores become big warehouses where buyers stroll through, pick out the car they want (at a no haggle price), and call for the forklift to come and get it down off the rack.

• Options
    I remember hearing all the stories on NPR about Nardelli RE: Home Depot and they were not good ones.

I don't think this looks good.
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw that and I'm thinking maybe the selling off for parts might be the strategy after all. He doesn't strike me as who you want leading the charge for a revitalized company.
  • Options
    I guess we'll have to wait and see...
  • Options
    dsiriasdsirias Member Posts: 34
    He's a failed CEO (google naregelli + home depot); pretty much screwed HD. They had to get rid of him. His specialty is slashing cost, at all cost. The premise that Cerberus intends to make Chrysler a competetive and profitable company is mistaken.....Cerberus does not want Chrysler to be a good profitable car company. They simply want Chrysler to be worth more than they paid for it so they can sell it for a profit. Quality and long term health are irreleant. I foresee Nardelli as the broker who makes the deal that brings cheap Chinese cars here...... So I take back my old prediction that at least the minivan will stay made here in the USA. I think Chrysler is now dead man walking.
  • Options
    But you can say pretty much the same about the cheap Korean cars that somebody brought here not so long ago, and the cheap Japanese cars before that. Who brought those? Did we get a "dead man walking" out of those ventures?
This discussion has been closed.