Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I've had two CR-Vs... love them.. many, many positive points...

Seat comfort is not one of them..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sbnsbn Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the suggestion - I tried it, but unfortunately there wasn't any wiggle room either to push the visor more firmly onto the arm that holds it or to pull it out farther.

Think it's worthwhile to try prying off the cover of what must be a screw holding the whole thing in place, to see if that could tighten up? Or better to leave as-is & keep looking below the visor?
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    You can definitely get more than the rated capacity in the fuel tank. 17.8 will go in if it is bone dry and you are pushing it to the limit. I don't recommend topping it off. Actually I don't recommend doing anything contrary to the owner's manual's recommendation. (Where is blueeyedgod when you need him). That said:

Roof rack - the Thule system puts the load onto the "frame" of the car, not the naked sheet metal on the roof so it can definately handle more weight. I'd bet 100 lbs evenly distributed, is fine.

With 2 kayaks on the roof I'd keep it under 68 mph and drive very carefully.
  • sylvia44sylvia44 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everybody -
    I'm the proud owner of a new 2006 CR-V, and was wondering, is the vinyl (?) spare tire cover waterproof and therefore OK to take through the carwash?

Probably a dumb question, but I need to know...

Thanks for your help!
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    it has to be otherwise +95% of them on the road wouldn't have the cover on them. :shades:
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    i.e. running nekkid, as another member would say :D
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    or not having your a** covered.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/02/business/02crossover.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

The press allowed me to give props to my 1999 CR-V. :shades: (registration required)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    So that's critter's name. Congrats.

-juice
    Here is a link that doesn't require registration..

Article

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Funny that they included the name of the critter, but not the names of the hounds. :)

I spoke with Nick, not Micky. He seemed kinda disappointed that I'd moved from the CR-V to an MDX. But despite chatting for a while, with him asking about a wide range of topics, they didn't include many of the remarks I expected to see.

Thanks kyfdx
    Maynard is controversial but I like her because I feel like she tells it like it is, no holding back.

I was quoted in her book, The End of Detroit. :D

Since it was published, the market share for the former Big 3 has suffered a land slide, so she's right on track so far.

-juice
    I read "End of Detroit", but I honestly don't recall your quote.

The book was good, but she did generalize in a few areas and get some details wrong. One of those involved the CR-V. She wrote something to the effect of... "The CR-V is one example of how the Japanese get us." Yet the CR-V was initially rejected in our market and designed for sale overseas. It began its life in 1996. We didn't see them until after the RAV4 took off and CR-Vs went on sale in 1997.
    I'm glad you missed it because in the first edition she mis-quoted me. So if you read the hard cover it had that mistake. She corrected it for the paperback copy, though.

I'm sure she's seen as controversial because she writes for a Detroit-based paper.

-juice
  • mikeseawamikeseawa Member Posts: 2
    Is there a keyless entry kit for the '06 CR-V LX? I found one on-line but it only listed the years '02-'04.

That was the only EX feature that I was really interested in and I couldn't justify the extra cost.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
  • hucklehuckle Member Posts: 2
    We picked up our new '06 EX FWD last weekend. After slight dithering over the latest RAV4, Mazda3 Wagon and CR-V '07, the '06 emerged as clearly the best combo of price, safety, style, reliability, space, and economy. Besides, we have a huge collection of cassette tapes.

Forester was never in it. When we bought our '02 CR-V LX AWD, we discovered the Forester had a $900+ maintenance at 30K miles. Probably something off a dealer menu, but that and the sedan "feel" of the Subaru was disqualifying for us.

As for the '07 CR-V, the styling just isn't our cup of tea, especially those "silver" (faux aluminum?) dog-bone rear door pulls. On the '06, we also prefer its out-of-the-way dash-mounted shift selector, the floppy front table, the picnic table, the real spare (and its display), and its price vis-a-vis the '07.

Nice bonus: Same level of insurance coverage turned out to be less on the '06 CR-V than for an '07 Civic.

Road noise on our '06 is tolerable, and less than we experienced on our '02 LX, though both came with Bridgestone Duelers.

First tank on the '06, 28.5 mpg 75% on 60mph freeway.
    The insurance rates are probably due to a relatively high theft rate on Civics.

-juice
    Congrats on the new ride. Like you, there are many things from the 1st and 2nd gen CR-Vs, which I prefer over the new model. Though I do envy the new interiors of the 3rd gen.

Not to put a damper on things, but road noise *may* increase as the tires wear.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Anyone know what the replacement size on the 06 CRV fog light is ?? ... Thanks... MNF
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings."

Of course, I believe that is what the search engine is for, finding specific information.

I find that this new style (which I have seen in other make/model forums on this site), actually makes it harder to find information, because there are just too many forums. Every time someone opens up a
    "new, timely topic", it adds another listing, until it spills over to multiple pages. How many different times will we see people open a new forum to discuss MPG, only under a different title? And how many different forums will a person have to go into to find all the information about MPG, when it could have all been in a single forum, in chronological order?

I went to the Honda Fit pages to see what kind of problems people have been having. What I saw was a mess, and I still don't have a good feel for the issues people have with that vehicle. If they had had a single forum for problems, I would have been able to peruse it for issues.

With one forum, it is possible to keep up with the flow. The new method is disjointed and counter productive, in my opinion. It actually makes it harder to keep up with the flow of a product life cycle, especially in dealing with problems.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted... :sick:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try tracking by make/model group. You'll still get the flow, but threads should be more contiguous as you read through the day's new posts. The hosts will still move off-topic posts to more appropriate discussions when needed (as we've always done), so hopefully most of the mpg posts will be grouped together.
  • rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    I agree, this WAS the premier site for auto discussion and very easy to locate a desired issue.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Honda CR-V
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • bruser454bruser454 Member Posts: 1
    I just went outside to start my 2000 CRV. I pushed the remote unlock button and the anti theft alarm went off. I can not run the car without the alarm going off. It sounds for about 30 sec. and the pauses. Then it sounds again....
    The anti theft light is rapidly blinking. Can some help me?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    2000 Honda CR-V did not come with Alarm in the US.

Either one was added by the dealer (OEM add-on) or an aftermarket one was added on. Refer to the Alarm Manual on how to manually turn off the alarm with the key, if there is a provision for that. I rememeber when I had the Civic and I installed the OEM alarm, it came with its own Manual, which had procedures for such a situation.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Either one was added by the dealer (OEM add-on) or an aftermarket one was added on. Refer to the Alarm Manual on how to manually turn off the alarm with the key, if there is a provision for that. I rememeber when I had the Civic and I installed the OEM alarm, it came with its own Manual, which had procedures for such a situation."

Those aftermarket setups sometimes have a toggle switch located under the dash or on the left wheel well, that will turn off the alarm.
    Those aftermarket setups sometimes have a toggle switch located under the dash or on the left wheel well, that will turn off the alarm.

I will totally depend on the installer. If I were to install a commonplace system (especially with a window decal, advertizing to thieves what alarm system I have) I would make the switch as incospicuous as possible.

When I installed alarm on my VW Jetta, I used a spare 4 way flasher switch as the alarm cut off. No one would have guessed.

On the Civic, I used a small switch in the headliner near the visor. You have to open and close the visor to disable alarm.
  • triathlonjtriathlonj Member Posts: 25
    We have a 2003 CR-V EX and for whatever reason, the buzzer that alerts us to our headlights being on or the key in the ignition has stopped working. I have checked all of the fuses under the dash and can't find one that is blown. Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • bonedoc3000bonedoc3000 Member Posts: 2
    With the oil filler cap off and the engine running, there is quite a lot of positive pressure at the oil filler. No other engine I've ever encountered has been like this. The dealer tells me it's "normal" for this engine.

thoughts?
  • crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    The crankcase is pressurized to a certain degree. This is so the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system works properly and is a normal accurance. Honda valve covers have a metal shield cast into the fill hole of the cover so oil does not splash out to much.
  • tabcourttabcourt Member Posts: 18
    Of the 3, the center one for hot/cold and the extreme right-hand one for airflow direction do not light up when I turn on the headlights. I can used to be able to just lightly tap them and the light would come on. Now, I really have to hit 'em hard for the light to come on. How hard is it to check what the problem is? Is it easy to get to the bulbs?
    Thanks, Mark
    Confucious says: One who runs Honda engine with the oil filler cap off will get splashed with engine oil.

Thoughts?

Don't run the engine with the cap off. I think it even mentions in the Owner's Manual not to do that.
    Of the 3, the center one for hot/cold and the extreme right-hand one for airflow direction do not light up when I turn on the headlights. I can used to be able to just lightly tap them and the light would come on. Now, I really have to hit 'em hard for the light to come on. How hard is it to check what the problem is? Is it easy to get to the bulbs?
    Thanks, Mark

Depending on the Generation of your CR-V it may be as easy as removing the HVAC controller, or as difficult as taking the whole center console apart to get to it.

Without that vital information (model year, or generation at least, we are not the psychic network for all I know) it is difficult to point you in the right direction.
  • tabcourttabcourt Member Posts: 18
    Oops, my bad. It's a 2005 CR-V .

"Of the 3, the center one for hot/cold and the extreme right-hand one for airflow direction do not light up when I turn on the headlights. I can used to be able to just lightly tap them and the light would come on. Now, I really have to hit 'em hard for the light to come on. How hard is it to check what the problem is? Is it easy to get to the bulbs?
    Thanks, Mark"
  • bonedoc3000bonedoc3000 Member Posts: 2
    Appreciate your responses-

However, in all my experience of serviceing engines including by '06 Ridgeline and '07 Maxima, the crankcase is at a slight negative pressure, not a rather impressive positive pressure. This engine must have a highly unusual PCV scheme. Or it's f-ed up and the dealer is lying to me. :surprise:
    However, in all my experience of serviceing engines including by '06 Ridgeline and '07 Maxima, the crankcase is at a slight negative pressure, not a rather impressive positive pressure. This engine must have a highly unusual PCV scheme. Or it's f-ed up and the dealer is lying to me.

Never had any dealings with Honda V6, that's American thing. Every 4 cylider Honda I dealt with had positive crank pressure.
    Oops, my bad. It's a 2005 CR-V .

"Of the 3, the center one for hot/cold and the extreme right-hand one for airflow direction do not light up when I turn on the headlights. I can used to be able to just lightly tap them and the light would come on. Now, I really have to hit 'em hard for the light to come on. How hard is it to check what the problem is? Is it easy to get to the bulbs?
    Thanks, Mark"

How many miles on it? Is it under 36,000? It should be covered by warranty. Make it dealer's problem.

If it is out of warranty, find the radio/subwoofer/sattelite receiver installation sheets from www.handa-accessories.com for your year, follow that to remove the radio, vents, and pocket to get to the HVAC controller. Remove the controller, the bulbs are on the back.
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    I'm working towards selling my 03 EX in the near future, and I'd like to hear if anyone has feedback they could share (good experiences or things to watch out for) about the various places to list the sale (eBay, Autotrader, etc.).

I live in the Birmingham, AL area; from what I've read, this AWD vehicle tends to be more popular (and therefore more valuable) in the more northern areas. As such, I'm thinking that it may be worth the extra effort to try to focus on the more popular markets. Are any particular sites more "friendly" to, or more frequented by, those markets.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Check this discussion too:

Purchasing a Vehicle On-line (eBay, etc.)

People often list cars on Craigslist out of their area.
    cool... thanks for the info.
    First thoughts on the referenced forum: it doesn't exactly paint the eBay experiences in a positive light. Seems to list many "horror stories" (albeit some bordering on the absurd) from some buyers.

Maybe eBay wouldn't be the ideal place for me... I'll probably have no problem selling my vehicle. It seems eBay would be more for those who have "niche vehicles" or otherwise having difficulty reaching their respective target market.
    I'm sure plenty of Craigslisters have been burned too.

I know you're selling, but here's another discussion that'll offer some ideas:

Buying used cars from out of state

Edmunds links to AutoTrader on the main page btw under the "sell your car" blurb.

Also, try the search box on the left for "used." Lots more discussions that may be of interest, like What's the best web site for finding a used car? and Purchasing Used Vehicles and Prepping Your Used Vehicle for Sale.

May as well check your local Carmax too.
  • goldensrulegoldensrule Member Posts: 2
    I'm leasing a 2004 Honda CRV with 15,000 miles on it. It has just developed a high pitched whistling sound from the rear after driving about 15 minutes. When I apply the brakes or turn, it stops. It'll whistle when I'm just coasting to a stop until I actually apply the brakes. Any idea what may be causing this problem?
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Rear differential fluid? It doesn't sound like the classic symptoms (noise when turning a tight circle) but I'm thinking that may be your issue.
    I'm leasing a 2004 Honda CRV with 15,000 miles on it. It has just developed a high pitched whistling sound from the rear after driving about 15 minutes. When I apply the brakes or turn, it stops. It'll whistle when I'm just coasting to a stop until I actually apply the brakes. Any idea what may be causing this problem?

One of the rear calipers siezed. HOnda has a TSB advising to clean and lube the sliders with Molykote-77 after each wintry season.
  • goldensrulegoldensrule Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I'm female and not mechanics saavy so I have no idea what a rear caliper is (I'm assuming brakes). Also what is a TSB? Would this be covered under the warranty because this is a leased vehicle?
    The caliper is what provides the clamping force on the disc brake. Operated hydraulically.

TSB is Technical Service Bulletin. If there is a TSB for a problem, then it means that it is happening more frequently than normal, so the company puts out a bulletin to let their dealers know about it, and what repair or preventive measures to take.

A seized caliper would be under warranty, if the car is under warranty. The lease is immaterial.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• avalanche2xavalanche2x Member Posts: 17
    My father-in-law has a 2006 CR-V SE. By design, you cannot lock the driver's door from the inside of the vehicle, then close the door (the door will unlock itself). Does anyone know if you can override this "auto-lockout" feature?