Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lets talk media

2»

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I think everyone values word of mouth ten-fold over any media information.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Consumer Affairs is a notorious "anti-hybrid "website.

I have sent them several letters of complaint for their anti-hybrid bias, and they have never responded to me.

I even filed a complaint using their handy-dandy complaint form but got no answers.

Believe anything about hybrids on that website at your peril.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    This is why I believe that the Big Three is actually suffering from a consumer boycott, not a media conspiracy.

I absolutley agree with your statement copied above. It is all about the consumer boycott, little to nothing to do with the media, let alone an insane notion of a conspiracy.

I'm one of the boycotters after having owned a '95 Dodge, so I should know!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It wasn't necessarily a conscious boycott, as in "I'm not going to buy American!". Sometimes it was just more of a gut feeling about the car, the dealership and a sprinkling of bad reputation.

Now the Big Three's troubles are a bit different. Basically they don't have the awful reliability and quality issues of 10-20 years ago....they've caught up...but now they are being hammered for having very uninteresting products (with some exceptions) and I have to agree with that as a valid criticism....all the jazz and juice and thunder seem to be coming from the imports, with just a few American standouts capable of capturing the buyers' attention....Corvette, Escalade, maybe Mustang...there's not much out there setting the American buyer's pants on fire, I'll tell you that.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    To be honest, I don't think there are many cars period, that are worth the money being asked for them. Nothing in the last 8 years has tugged at my wallet. So for me it makes little difference whether it is foreign or domestic nameplate. They are all pretty darned ugly. In 4 door sedans I would consider an "E" or "S" Mercedes, nothing else is close.

Maybe it is because I do not watch TV or read the newspaper!
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Now the Big Three's troubles are a bit different. Basically they don't have the awful reliability and quality issues of 10-20 years ago....they've caught up...but now they are being hammered for having very uninteresting products (with some exceptions) and I have to agree with that as a valid criticism....all the jazz and juice and thunder seem to be coming from the imports, with just a few American standouts capable of capturing the buyers' attention...."

Your paragraph above is very true.

"Corvette, Escalade, maybe Mustang...there's not much out there setting the American buyer's pants on fire, I'll tell you that."

What about the Ford Fusion...thats selling ok. The 08 Caddy CTS may pull some customers in at Caddy dealers especially if it has a better interior in terms of quality of interior materials used than the current CTS. Ford has the F Series pick-up as well(even though its sales so far this year are really kinda down last year from this same point of last year.) What about the Dodge Charger? You forgot to mention the Pontiac Solstice as well. The Saturn Aura even though the exterior styling is not my thing I have sat and its a really nice car but its not selling well from what I hear on Edmunds because well just maybe GM didn;t put a 4cyl engine in it at a time when customers are heavily factoring in the amount of gas miledadge that their cars can get because of how high fuel prices are right now. What about the Saturn Outlook it got reviews from even Consumer Reports and Domestic Big 2 car fans always say who CR is anti-domestic Big 3(or big 2 at least) because I don;t hear Chrysler fans complaining about Cr really.

The Domestics are getting killed in the mid-size and compact car area's where the imports are very dominant right now although as I said before the Fusion is selling ok it doesn't sell like the Altima, Camry, and Accord do. In the compact car sector the Domestics are getting killed by Civic and Corolla but so much by Sentra, Mazda 3, and Hyundai Elantra.

Oh yeah the Caddy XLR convertible look good but why on earth did GM price it higher than their Lexus competitor(the SC.?) In my opinion at the time when GM decided to price the XLR higher than one of their competitors(the Lexus SC) GM got greedy because of the success of the CTS at that time. In my opinion, GM just upped the price for one of their Caddy models(XLR)way too soon in my opinion because the Caddy brand was just a couple years removed at the time from being known as an "older person's brand of car" if you will.
  • iberian_frencyiberian_frency Member Posts: 1
    I was just on Dealtime.com and they had glowing reviews for edmunds.com, but they were all fake. If you check out the reviews for the different web sites, such as edmunds.com and cars.com you will find the same email addresses submitted with slightly different positive views. If edmunds.com is paying these guys money they've been had.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looks like only one person reviewing Edmunds reviewed cars.com. I don't see any email addresses for the reviewers, just their profiles, so I'm not sure how you are figuring out that people share email addresses.

I do see that most of the Edmunds reviews are in fact glowing while only about 4 of the 12 Cars.com reviews are 4 or 5 star.

Cars.com is owned by a bunch of newspapers. The car reviews you see in the classified sections are often entirely positive, and are obviously written by PR people working for the auto manufacturers.
This discussion has been closed.