Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata MP3/Aux Input Alternatives

lyaanalyaana Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
I am really considering buying a Hyundai Sonata or Santa Fe but I can't get over that there is no MP3/AUX plug. I went to a dealer yesterday and test drove both in the V6 and decided that a Camry, Accord, or Altima just aren't worth the price difference given that they don't have the warranty that the Hyundai has. What's my alternative to not having a MP3 option? Thanks.

Comments

• osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Sorry, I can't help but I feel the same way as you. I purchased my Sonata last year and really have no use for the MP3 plug myself but it's hard to believe that on a 2006 vehicle they wouldn't have one. And doesn't the 2007 Elantra have one?

Anyway, there is a Sonata audio thread that may have some good info for you. Read through that one if you haven't already.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There are inexpensive ($30 or less) wireless connectors that transmit through your car's FM radio. Not perfect, but works well for my son's iPod. I've used it with a portable DVD player in our minivan also.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I just got a new 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD and agree with you that the absence of an auxiliary input is a bummer. Having said that, I can also tell you that overall the Santa Fe is awesome and I have no regrets for having bought it. I've been enjoying the standard XM and playback of MP3 discs; those features have helped make up for the lack of an auxiliary input.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    The included stereo in all trim levels plays MP3 encoded CDs. You can just burn your mp3 onto a cd and pop it into the car. Files, folders, artists, title etc... (non-scrolling display) Other option is to get an FM transmitter to hook up to your Ipod/MP3 player.
  • np01np01 Member Posts: 17
    I have an '07 Santa Fe Limited, which is great, and before we bought the car I had planned on having an mp3 jack installed. I was quoted $200 by a shop recommended by the dealer that said that they could put it in the tray under the center stack - right where it belongs. I might still do that, but I have burned a number of mp3 CDs in iTunes and am pleased with that solution - you get a lot of recording time on one CD and with iTunes flexibile playlists, it's really no problem to create CDs that have what you want on them. And the controls on the steering wheel offer advantages in skipping through the CD that you wouldn't get with an iPod.
    That's interesting. For $200, I'd be interested in having an MP3 jack installed as well. I'm wondering, though, with such a set-up, how would one select "MP3 Input" on the head unit? In other words, how would one opt to listen to the auxiliary device as opposed to CD, AM, FM, or XM? Any ideas?
  • lyaanalyaana Member Posts: 7
    If I get a Hyundai I will an mp3 jack installed because I think it's antiquated to not have it for $200. Thanks again.
  • lyaanalyaana Member Posts: 7
    If I get a Hyundai I will an mp3 jack installed because I think it's antiquated to not have it for $200. Thanks again.
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    I alsos wanted an MP3 jack, but I agree with np01 about not missing it at all. I spent one night copying files to a couple cds, and I set them up with directories for each artist. What is nice about the radio in the Santa Fe is you can scroll the directories using the toggle to the right of the display, and the songs within the directory using the toggle on the left (or on the steering wheel). The artist and song title are displayed on the screen. Much nicer than trying to fiddle with an mp3 player or Ipod. I actually found a cd case that fits perfectly in the top storage bin in the arm rest, so there is no clutter at all.
    "That's interesting. For $200, I'd be interested in having an MP3 jack installed as well. I'm wondering, though, with such a set-up, how would one select "MP3 Input" on the head unit? In other words, how would one opt to listen to the auxiliary device as opposed to CD, AM, FM, or XM? Any ideas?"

Anyone?
    Depends on the existing unit and type of MP3 jack, but my guess is it would be a RF Modulator unit, and you would just use your FM tuner, and you would set a button to the frequency of your RF Modulator. See Crutchfield's web site at the linke below:

Crutchfieldadvisor.com

Page 5 has the info on wired RF Modulators.
  • sitinon32sitinon32 Member Posts: 2
    I have a wireless FM modulator with a Dock if anyone is interested in purchasing. I'll put it on EBAY or we can just directly agree to sell via email. I HATE the way wireless sounds personally and would prefer a wired connection in my 07 Sonata.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Depends on the existing unit and type of MP3 jack, but my guess is it would be a RF Modulator unit, and you would just use your FM tuner, and you would set a button to the frequency of your RF Modulator. See Crutchfield's web site at the linke below

This FM Modulator option would work well in vehicles with either fender whip antenna or the Glass antenna (wire antenna embedded in window or rear glass).

But in the case of the new Santa Fe (or similar vehicles), you may have problem. The reason is the FM antenna now is the little whip antenna on the roof of the vehicle. The metal roof of the vehicle will act like a good RF shield that prevents the FM Modulator's signal from getting to FM antenna. And the result is your FM modulated audio is probably very lousy. It probably sound like listening to weak FM stations when you tune FM mode.

In the normal case of listening to FM radio, this little whip antenna is fine since radio stations are outside of your car and there is little RF shield caused by the metal roof.

So for the new Santa Fe, if you were to use the FM modulator, you may have to stick this FM modulator unit
    outside the vehicle (on the roof) to get decent Audio. That is rather unsightly.

jt
    I was referring to a wired RF modulator (see the rest of my post). A wired RF modulator connects directly to the antenna input on the radio, so it's not actually using the antenna.
  • mvieramviera Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 tucson witch has a radio with a booming sound. I would like to use sirius satellite radio but there are no aux inputs. If I change the radio will I lose that great sound.Is there an amplifier driving those stock speakers? Any suggestions?
  • bwaller78bwaller78 Member Posts: 23
    Hello, I have sirius in my tucson, I have aftermaket stereo, but if you don't want to replace stereo they have adapter for stock units, my parents got one for the car. As far as the sound does, it sounds much better with sirius in my car, I think they use hd programming so its louder and cleaner, I noticed it when go to regular stations its realy weak, have to turn volume way up just to hear. well hope other share their experience. ;)
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    For those, you set your FM radio to the frequency indication on the FM modulator. It should automatically broadcast on the clearest frequency. Usually a lower one around 88 or so.
  • xltbobxltbob Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2004 Corolla that I am selling in anticipation of buying a Sonata. I've had a Sirius radio in it for over a year and have been using a wired FM modulator or adapter. This unit plugs inline with the antennae connection at the back of the stock radio. When the Sirius unit is turned on, the modulator cuts off the antennae signal and feeds the Sirius output into the radio. Works and sounds great. I'm going to leave it in the Corolla as an incentive to purchase it. I've checked the output port on the Sirius and I believe it is an analog signal being fed to the modulator. I say analog because I can put a set of headphone jacks in the port on the Sirius radion and can hear the audio just fine.

With the modulator costing only $20 through Sirius, or ebay, I plan on purchasing a new one for the Sonata. Check this link for the Sirius website.

Like I said, the unit works great and as long as you can get to the back of the stereo, is fairly easy to install.
This discussion has been closed.