Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Hyundai Entourage vs. Kia Sedona vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats.

Are there Kia dealers in PR? How is parts availability?

Just curious.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Yeah we have every manufacture down here except Saturn. At least that I can think of off the top if my head. Though we seem to get the models a little later then the continental u.s. does. No problems with parts that I know of, but then again I have not needed any so far. The down side is the import (excise) tax. I was going to bring my 400 hp 06 Mustang GT down when I moved but the excise tax was $10,000.00 not including shipping. So this was a bummer as you can imagine. Nothing like going from a 400 HP to 250 in a mini-van. I guess that's what they mean by growing up.... Sure miss that 11.9 1/4 mile but I don't think my infant son would enjoy it as much as me. :P
    Well, the van ain't slow, but I know what you mean... ;)
  • beachmom3beachmom3 Member Posts: 12
    I set out to buy the Hyundai Entourage. However there are only three dealers in my area. Two of them were very sleazy and we walked out ugh! The third sounded sleazy in their e-mail conversations ("come in to discussprice" etc...) They did not want to budge on the price. I started to look at the Honda Ody's and I found that there were a lot of 07's left in my area so I test drive one and I liked it. The Honda dealers are ready to make deals right now. The Hyundai guys made no effort to bargain, call back etc.. The best price I could get on the Limited ( 31*** sticker) was 29,000! Forthe Honda ody EX-L I got quotes from several honda dealers for 25,800 upt to 26,400! The Honda dealers are getting 2,500 in dealer cash for the 07's most are throwing in their holdback as well.
    I decided to go with the EX and got it for 23,632! with a starting tag of 29*** :)

I had really hope that the Hyundai dealers would want to negotiate but they would not budge! I have no idea what they are planning to do with their leftover 2007's maybe they've had them so long they are attached to them.
    Anyway I testdrove the Hyundai and thought it was great and I like the looks of it better than the Honda but I wll not pay MORE for it.
    I don't know if this helps anyone but I guess I am saying don't assume that the Hyundai is cheaper in price. :P
    I can't believe the drop in prices on the Ody. Back in May, 2007 mind you, the EX was about $26.8k around me.

For $23.6k I might have bought one, too. $3200 price drop in 6 months! :surprise:
  • bcairbcair Member Posts: 1
    Try this link http://www.canadiandriver.com/minivans/

Mini van challenge
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Great deal on your Honda. Six months ago when I went to get my van I really liked the Ody, but the prices are an outrage here in Puerto Rico. Can you imagine paying 32,000.00 for a base model... I picked up a new 06 Sedona for 19,000/ 23,500 OTD. Damn import taxes here rape you. I got the long wheel base LX, with roof rack, this and that, and cloth. Honestly leather in such a hot climate as PR is not the best idea. Plus for me power sliding doors means doors breaking soon and often. I have never known a van that they work consistently good on. Also, I have never understood why people pay outrageous money for certain dealers options, like NAV or HID. You know you can put HID's on for $150.00 or less yourself. I did. Plus an in dash awesome NAV/DVD/back up camera off of Ebay us like $600 at most. Congratulations on the new van.
    Interesting idea. Let the family live with them for a while, then comment.

As opposed to a few days in a road test without families. Much more informative.

One correction for the Sienna:

when you lock the vehicle with the remote you do not hear the horn sound

This is programmable, mine does this (same model).
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I just picked up a very nice 4,800 mile 2007 SE model and paid $19,700 including the Hyundai Certification which gives me the original 10/100,000 warranty. You don't lose that option if you take it to a Hyundai dealer and purchase the Certification. I just happen to buy mine from a dealer since Car Max only gets rental car returns which are beat on and have mostly GLS Trim levels.

Brand new our SE stickered for $26,989 which I was happy to have the $7k savings for a van that's been in service for only 5 months.

We had a 2003 Oddy and loved it, but it was a $27kex and now even more for the same equipment. THe only reason we sold it in 05 was because I got a company car/Town and Country. The savings between the two this year now that I'm changing jobs is huge. I just couldn't justify the Oddy again.

First, finding a low mile used Oddy is very tough. Even then, the price is high while resale is good, for a van that we plan on keeping 4-7 years, I'll take my savings now thank you.

So far quality wise, the Hyundai is on par if not better than our prvevious Honda. The power is very nice too and not at all second to the Honda.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I'm thinking that you might be surprised what you could get an Ody for if you acted quickly and scooped up an '08. $27K for an EX???? No chance.

I paid $25,300, including everything (destination, processing, etc.) for a new 2007 Ody EX-L. (Adds sunroof, leather, heated seats over the EX). You can get an EX for $24 or so.

I think that's a better buy than a Hyundai because it will hold its value better. An Entourage with the same level of equipment as my Honda would have actually cost more--I compared them.
  • hoodwinkhoodwink Member Posts: 25
    I have been offered a 2007 Entrouge Limited with Entertainment package for 30,500 with 0% for 60 months. I thinks this beats in price with Odessey EXL for same features.
    Congrats, sounds like a great price.

IIRC those ended up costing around $23k or so when I was shopping back in May. So you got a pretty significant $3500 discount and it's barely broken in.

When I reviewed the similar Kia model, my conclusion was that at under $20k they need no excuses whatsever. For that price, wow, you got a lot of van.

Residuals are not strong but in this case that helped you.

A new Ody EX may be $24k, but a used one is ... probably about $24k! There's no point buying semi-new.

Congrats again.
    I think you can do better.

Again, this was a while ago, but I saw Limiteds in the $25s.

I realize you have to add a few options, but shop around, I think you can get what you want for $27-28k.

Shop at fitzmall.com, for instance.
  • egkoregkor Member Posts: 24
    According to Sams Club Auto Buying site for our zip code:

$27123 Base Invoice, Entourage Limited
    $2002 Invoice, Entertainment Package
    $700 Destination
    ------------
    $29825 Total invoice

-$2000 Factory Rebate
    -------------
    $27825 Should be your "net" pricing for this van

(Of course, Less is Better!)

-Gary K
    My previous post data is for a model year 2007 Entourage.

-Gary K
    That's more like it, right around where I saw pricing back in May.
  • hoodwinkhoodwink Member Posts: 25
    The dealer is willing to negotiate the price on 2007 Entrouge Limited with DVD, he says the manager wants the vehicle sold before new year and will be willing to pay me to buy this vehicle. Let me know what should be my offer to make a deal, as after the new year the vehicle is going to loose value.
    That's more like it, right around where I saw pricing back in May.

If that is the pricing you saw in May '07 then it should be even lower than that now at end of calendar year '07.

-Gary K
    will be willing to pay me to buy this vehicle

That's just nonsense. In fact that actually raises several red flags for me. It's bogus and even unethical for them to say that.

I'd be looking for another dealer. :mad:
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Consumer Reports predicted reliability is WORTHLESS. :lemon:
  • vizviz Member Posts: 75
    I need help in deciding :

- I am getting Ody EX 08 for 399(tax incl) for 36m/15k miles/ zero down (no even 1st month payment)...Is it good?

I am debating whether I should spend that kind of money or go for TC /Dodge caravan 08 models for a 27 month lease. What is the competitive rate for leasing those minivans?
    I have not driven them but their reliability seems to be an issue; we drive 70 miles a day and we live in NE ohio where winters are sometimes little bit harsh. We dont have much leeway at work and hence reliability and maint...

Thanks!
  • honda_oh_nohonda_oh_no Member Posts: 49
    To anyone thinking of buying Odyssey! Check out the Odyssey Transmission Issue Forum first.

All Odyssey models from 99, 2000,2001,2003,2004,2005,2006, 20007 have faulty transmissions.

2008 - 100% chance

check the facts!
    Dont make the same mistake....
    100% yeah right...

My cousin's 2002 is on its original transmission.

Your data is the lemon here. :lemon:
    How many miles? my original transmission lasted 60,000. My officemate is not as lucky got same 2002 and tranny went at 44,000 miles..coincidence?

not only odysseys...

This is a fact. 1,099,976 Odyssey 2002 are on transmission recall. See NHSTA report:
    Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    ACURA / 3.2CL 2001-2003

ACURA / 3.2TL 2000-2004

ACURA / MDX 2001-2002

HONDA / ACCORD 2003-2004

HONDA / ODYSSEY 2002-2004

HONDA / PILOT 2003-2004

Recall Number: 04V176000
    Summary:
    ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.
    Consequence:
    GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
    Notes:
    HONDA RECALL NOS. P30 (ODYSSEY AND PILOT), P31 (MDX), P38 (ACCORD) AND P39 (ACURA). CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-423

Just be a couple more miles on your cousin's ...
    Recall is not the same as failure.

Read your own post, "ON SOME MINI VANS".

SOME is not equal to 100%.

Also, that covers up to 2004, but you said it was 100% all the way up to 2008, which is incorrect.

Your post is false, plain and simple.

Even though this is old news, you could provide useful information to some folks if you were accurate.
    Don't get me wrong. I own 3 hondas. I'm not bashing the entire Honda empire. I just want Honda to be responsible and correct the situation. Odyssey transmission problems began on 99 models and up to 2006 - see the Odyssey Transmission Issues forum. Its almost a decade of neglect!

The sad thing is the way they are rectifying the problem. I worked in a Japanese company for 11 years and this is simply unacceptable. We solved problems in a pro-active manner not reactively.
    I'm not getting you wrong.

Your post was sensationalist and, more importantly, factually inaccurate.

Why do you say 100% of the 2008 transmissions are bad, then acknowledge only models up to 2006 were affected?
    I said 100% chance.

Everyone is free to choose which car to buy. Just do some research before buying. There are lots of car reviews like msnauto, yahooauto and once you see a common problem then run- not walk away from that model !....a little too late for a lot of eager buyers...
    I want to add that I had some awareness of the ody trans problem when I bought mine.

But having good experience with my other hondas made me shrug of the issue and blindedly went ahead.

I don't believe in Honda Quality anymore.
  • lionslions Member Posts: 20
    We have a 1999 Honda ODI LX with 123,932 miles on same tranny no problems. Only problem we have are the front coil springs we are on our third spring they keep breaking?? Dealer doesn't know why? :confuse:
    This is strange. :confuse:

Even if you overload the van, you would think that would affect the rear axle more, given that carries most of the payload.
    Yes it is strange we just don't feel safe in the van anymore because you just don't know when its going to break twice we were at the dealer and they saw it broken. The third when my wife was driving thru an intersection but lucky no one got hurt just $1,200 worth of damage. We asked Honda for a fix we haven't heard anything from them at $500 a pop its getting expensive. :sick:
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    We were looking for a under $20,000 van and prefer to buy used if possible. We tried everything, and like the Honda but to get the most current model it took all of the $20,000 and that was for a van just off warranty. We found a used 2007 Kia Sedona LX with 18,000 miles and got it for about $15,500 if you use a realistic cash value on our trade instead of the bumped up number they used to make it look like we were putting more down. It still has a longer bumper to bumper warranty left then a Honda comes with new. The new Honda dealer flat out lied to me about his cost on a van which really turned me off on a new one. He said many times the prices at Edmunds and other places were thousands under what they really have to pay. Finally I got him to admit that that's just what they could get for them not what they had to get (which is all fine and dandy if he hadn't lied in the first place). I really like the Toyota van with the new motor but they are hard to find used and are a good $22,000 even then. Also they are very mushy in the suspension which is probably what some people like. The Kia to me seemed sportier then the Honda maybe because it's a little lighter. I guess if you have $25,000 to spend and an honest dealer then a new Honda is nice but why not take advantage of the initial resale drop on the Hyundai and Kia and get an equally nice van for much less? Either invest the $10,000 or save all that interest in financing.
    here an update Honda said they will pay for the coil spring only $135.00 out of $475.00 bill Thanks Honda :( Coil springs should not break. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Congrats, that's a great price for only 18k miles, barely broken in.

I believe the 5/60 warranty does convey to the 2nd owner, but the 100k powertrain warranty only applies to the original owner. Just keep that in mind.

Having said that, you could buy an extended warranty with your savings, easily.
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    You found the Kia to be lighter? Wow! I had the exact opposite experience when I traded from my Sedona to the Sienna. The Kia felt much heavier, and was harder to fit in my garage. I am much happier with my Sienna. Sounds like you got a good deal, however... congratulations!!
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    What year Sienna??? The Sienna is quite a bit bigger than the Sedona/Entourage. It fits better in the garage??
    The extended Sedona is actually an inch longer than the Sienna, 202" vs. 201".

The Sienna is also lighter in curb weight.

Just for what it's worth.
  • sambojoho1sambojoho1 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a 2006 Sedona LX w/DVD last month. I sold my 99 Honda Odyssey. The Sedona was in service for 13 months, had 21k miles on it, and was in perfect condition, I paid $13,900.

I am extremely pleased with this van. Mechanically this van is top notch. Enjoy driving it much better than I ever liked the Honda. I am a little disappointed with the DVD system though. After only a month, the eject mechanism failed. Glad I have the 5yr/60k warranty. Only other complaint I have is the factory tires (Kumho KH16's) are lousy in the snow. I'll upgrade them next fall.

It seems as though a 1 or 2 year old Sedona or Entourage is one of the best deals you can get right now. I would be hesitant to buy a new one though, unless you are certain you will keep it for 5+ years. The depreciation will KILL you.
    Well written post, and I agree 100%. $13,900 is crazy cheap.

You probably have 2-3 years of warranty left, nearly what you'd have on a $25k new one.

Congrats.
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    I agree the Sienna is lighter then the Kia, I was addressing the Honda in comparison to the Kia. The Toyota just doesn't feel as nimble as the Kia, or the Honda for that matter. It's more like a Camry which by most people's judgement isn't bad, I just like the firmer suspension. I would be very happy with a Sienna with the new 3.5 motor but they were over $20,000 used with 20,000 miles on them at the time I bought the Kia.

I also agree the factory Kumho tires were not good in the snow even with good tread left on them. I went to dedicated studded snows which are really noisy but can't be beat for winter traction. I also just put a set of lower profile 18" wheels and tires on the Kia for spring and now it really feels (and looks) good.
    Yep, best I could find a 2 year old used Sienna was about $20,900, and the new ones are about $25k with the same equipment.

May as well buy new. So that's what I did.
  • jimmyy43jimmyy43 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2006 Kia Sedona EX LOADED...everything but a DVD player. Bought it new.
    It's a nice van and is dressed out better than most, regardless of make and cheaper than the others. We can list features all day but this has got to be the nosiest van on the road. I wasn't sure how noisy it was until I road in a Toyota Limited van...boy what a difference. Our van generates LOTS!! of road noise. I went back to the dealer and drove three new vans, each with a different set of tire...no difference from ours. Therefore I'm guessing that corners were cut in the insulation department. When we bought ours we were so taken with all the features and the price I didn't pick up how noisy it is. The Sedona runs well and all the nice features work with no trouble through27,000 miles. I'm not plugging the Toyota or the Honda...but..if I weren't upside down :cry: after deprecation of a new 2006 ( which is another story) I would trade in a heart beat!!!
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    Why include Entourage and Sedona when April 08 issue of Consumer Reports reports that Honda "Makes the best cars" and has the most reliable vehicles, the top 2 miniivans are 1st Odyssey & 2nd Sienna. The Sedona & Entourage are not reliable
    1st Odyssey & 2nd Sienna

You got it backwards.

The top rated van is the FWD Sienna, with 93 points overall. It was 1st.

The Ody got 91 points, and came in 2nd.

In reliability the Sienna was also rated higher.

It's definitely Toyota #1, Honda #2, FWIW.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Because, believe it or not, some people don't use CR as the end-all of choosing a vehicle! ;)

VWs aren't known for being reliable either, yet people pay premiums for them over Hondas and Toyotas. Its ok to pick outside the reliability box. :shades:
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Amen.....I use CR to pick appliances....of course, some people view cars as appliances...that's why the Taurus was so popular. I mean, come on, a Taurus? What car guy or gal would pick a Taurus? I do admit I've rented a couple of Taurus' ( Tauri?). But I don't ignore CR. They do do great work. It's just that a car means more to me than an appliance. And I'm sure to most of you who read these forums and use Edmunds.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I had a 1992 Taurus long-stroke enging. In the 276,000 milometers I had it it never had an engine or transmission problem. The big problems were the brakes, wheel fender rust, wiper motors and tie rods.
    Some fun cars also happen to be reliable.

You don't have to give up fun.

My Miata is 15 years old now and running like a top.

I want to upgrade to a 2006, but really this one is fine, I have no reason to. I wish it would break down! :D
  • cheapdad000cheapdad000 Member Posts: 33
    I had a 1989 Taurus as my first vehicle (bought it at age 5 with 80K miles on it). I am still searching for a vehicle as comfortable with plenty of hip room in the front seat (tired of these vehicles with center consoles - give me a split front bench anyday). I got it to survive until 10 yrs/155K without major repairs. Of course had to do without AC for the last 4 years (couldnt afford to/didnt want to get it fixed as at the time conversion kits were non-existent and would cost thousands of dollars to convert to R134) - but it helped me learn all of the local backroads as stopping at a light in 100 degree heat in a black car was brutal. In the end the transmission was dead, actually for the last year of its life I couldnt use overdrive, had to just use the "D" setting. But from a comfort/value perspective there was nothing like it.
This discussion has been closed.