Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Basic Maintenance Questions

13»

Comments

• kjk411kjk411 Member Posts: 6
    I agree with the NO CAR WASH advice! I have had
    excellent results with Black Magic liquid car wax.
    After trying almost all of the ones on the market,
    this product really does an excellent job! I just
    waxed my 2 week old SF Limited (pearl white) and
    it came out great!
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Unfortunately, in the winter here, you need the lesser of 2 evils....I use a car wash but ONLY the high pressure water ones. The newer ones have a spot free rinse cycle that work pretty well. After the car gets about in the elements a bit and crud gets into the paint (feels rough even when clean) I use a clay bar on it which pulls out overspray and everything else that can get into the paint without damaging the clearcoat. Mothers and Mequires make clay bar kits and there are others...wierd stiff but it works!
  • tallyclassictallyclassic Member Posts: 14
    MaGoo...where did you get the drain plug seal? Thanks for the part number for the filter, that will help if I have to get them to look it up.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    i plan to use an automated car wash once a year (touchless/brushless) to get the undercarriage clean and maybe steam clean the engine. i think my hyundai dealer does washes so if anything should happen to the finish it will be on them!
    I use the high pressure auto washes on my 07 SF and no problems (yet). If it could not make it thru the auto touchless wash...something would be very wrong. Judging by the scratch I put in it, the paint is very thin though! I used an oem paint stick from the dealer to touch it up and keep the elements away...Poor color match though.
    nix the steam cleaning on the engine - the steam creates condensation in the electrical connectors and causes corrosion....
    Steam cleaning???

I agree with that 100000% Had no idea anyone still did that. Also with all the computers and electronics...sure death to any modern vehicle!! :sick:
  • 69dartgts69dartgts Member Posts: 5
    What's up with 5w30 oil ?

i use hightech highmilage oil 10w30 from walmart with fram toughguard filter ever 3thous miles. 01 santa fe 123,000 m with no problems. starts on first turn of key and runs like the first day ! motor doesn't use any oil at all....
    i just try to stick to manufacturers recommendations until warranty is up and the car is over a certain amount of mileage - the more worn the engine becomes you can switch to higher viscosity (theoretically) - however the flipside is that higher viscosity puts more drag on the engine - not that any of these cars are hi performance that it would make that big of a difference anyway...
    10yr/100000 mile power train warranty...well worth staying in spec, and avoiding ANY possible warranty avoidance on the part of the maker IMHO!

Was the spec 10w30 in 2001? It is now 5W 20- 5 W/30 on many new cars today. (closer tolerances I guess?) Personally, i would spend a couple of $$ EXTRA TO GET A LITTLE BETTER QUALITY OIL and FILTERS THEN THAT Wally World/Fram combo. HOWEVER...seems to work for you. Wally World oil...just would not sleep at night... :P Fram filters...bring a tear to my eye :sick:

granted overdoing it is a waste of $$ too but somewhere there is a happy medium. You can usually get a decent SUNDAY DEAL ON A NAME BRAND OIL AT KRAGEN/ AUTOZONE IN THE sUNDAY PAPER..and granted..these are not high end racing machines either.

Can't argue with your results though! :)
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    I agree, avoid them if you can! I took my wife's brand new Toyota Sienna Minivan to a car wash and sure enough it had scratches afterward that were not there before.

I prefer to wash my cars myself. I like to use Zip Wax car wash to wash the car. For a shine I use Nu Finish protectorant. For touch ups I use Meguiars Instant Detailer.

I know it is a hodgepodge of products from different manufacturers, but it works for me!
  • larry571larry571 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2007 Santa Fe SE with 3.3 v6 I have the oil changed at the dealer where I bought it cause it is a 1/2 price deal for the life of the vehicle. 14.95 My concern is there grade and brand of oil. The filler cap clearly states 5w-20 as does the owners manual. Also the manual recommends Quaker state which is a brand I've preferred. The dealer however uses Penzoil 10w-30. I mentioned this to him and he said it was no problem. I would prefer to use what the manual calls for but this price cant be beat and I assume they use an OEM oil filter. Does anyone have any advice on this issue? And should it be of any concern. Thanks for any help.
    I wouldn't worry too much only because it is well documented what the dealer is doing. If anything should hurt the engine - they would be responsible. If you're really worried you can talk directly to hyundai about this particular dealer's practice. Anyway - the worst thing i think can occur is poor gas mileage and undue strain on moving parts because of the viscocity.
  • graybeard1graybeard1 Member Posts: 20
    I normally do not purchase any extras (warranties, etc.) for products, but I was offered six years of oil changes and tire rotations (oil at 3000 or 3 months, and tire rotations at 6000 or 6 months) for $110 a year - total $660 plus tax for my new Santa Fe. I was told it would be honored anywhere I chose to have the service. I took it thinking this sounds like a great deal against price increases in the future. Would anyone like to comment on this type of deal in terms of there experience. My afterthoughts include: 1) I usually use synthetic oil for my vehicles - this policy does not include this; 2) I would expect someone like the dealer to try and sell me more items I don't need. Any comments are appreciated.

Thank you.
  • stingray66stingray66 Member Posts: 7
    Exactly where on the thread area of the cap does the o-ring install, all the way down against the sealing flange or little more then 3/4 the way down in what seems to be a groove detail?
  • angelocangeloc Member Posts: 1
    Recently had a problem with my 2001 Santa Fe. The dealer diagnosed the problem as "bad plugs" since car has not had new plugs since I don't know when. He said plugs are hard to get at and , therefore, would cost $500.00 to replace (mostly labor).
    Is this a reasonable price or am I sponsoring someone's Hawaiian vacation?
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Dealer costs are always more expensive.....first try calling for a price from other dealerships to compare....I think they have to drop the enine for rear plug access....as it's out of warranty a long time ago, consider a trusted and recommended local mechanic for a better price.
  • saskicatsaskicat Member Posts: 8
    There is now way spark plugs can be worth that much, not even if they have to lift/drop the engine. Something sounds fishy to me. I have heard the "Iridium" plugs can be quite costly...but honestly $500 would drop a used engine in there...plugs included. OK a bit of an exageration.
    I recomend makeing some phone calls and save some coin.
  • saskicatsaskicat Member Posts: 8
    I was in the dealership today and noticed a warning on the counter refering to after market oil filters and how they restrict flow. They never mentioned a specific manufacturer but we can all prolly guess whos at fault here. I did mention Fram to the service manager and he agreed but never hinted at any other defective filters.
    On a side note... I live 1.5 hours away from the dealer ship and he said its all good tp buy thier Hyundai filter and do my own oil changes as long as its documented. I wasn't the ony one to hear this, there were several others waiting for service as well but most people are to lazy or havn't the knowledge or tools to do such simple maintainance.
    Just food for thought for those that like to get oil on their paws.
  • bnberniebnbernie Member Posts: 20
    I have been using Fram Filters in my 07 Santa Fe ever since it was new. Fram makes great filters from day 1. However when K&N starts to make filters for it, I am going to switch. It is my opion K&N make the best filters available.
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    I'm guessing you have the V6 enguine. I have an 02 with a V6 and I went and bought new plugs & wires to do it my self. The front 3 are easy to see, but, the back 3 aren't. You have to take off the in-take manifold. I didn't even want to go there. So I had my local mechanic do it when he did the timing belt since I have 72,000 on it. I guess what I'm saying is that it's going to be cheaper to have a local mechanic do it. If you have one. Probably 2 to 2.5 hrs at $55 - $65 an hr. Your local guy might be able to look it up in there book witch tells them that they should be able to do this job in so many hours X hourly rate. My guy changed my timing belt, serpentine belt and the new wires and plugs for $584.16.This was on 1/07/09. I bought the plugs and wire set already, since i'm a good customer, he didn't have a problem with using the ones I already bought. Labor was for 5.5 hrs at $65 an hr. A set of plugs and wires can't be more than $40. I'm guesing on that.
  • bolla67bolla67 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I have an 08 SF LTD w/less than 2k miles. It seems after it has been sitting awhile (cold start) when I start to accelerate at about 20mph a strange sound (like running over a tree branch) comes from underneath the front and I can also feel a slight thud under my gas pedal. It only does it when the cars cold. It doesn't seem to do it after that, unless I don't drive it for a couple of hours then it does it again. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, my front passenger door seems to have a slight tremble and makes a slight friction sound (rubber molding rubbing). I've taken it to 2 service depts. and all they can say is "can't duplicate and we greased it". I can see that the door is slightly out of line, but I can't convince them of it. They only want to mess w/the rubber molding. Any suggestions?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    The noise at 20 mph after a cold start sounds like it may the ABS system self-check. Don't know about the door issue. My 08 SF Ltd AWD seems fine in that respect.
  • jrock2009jrock2009 Member Posts: 1
    My engine light came on and the engine was acting funny I took it to the dealership. $400.00 dollars later they removed and replaced 6 spark plugs $79.14 and 1 set of $61.81plug wires. 3 hours of labor at 80.00 bucks an hour. I feel like they should have given me a full tune up or something any thoughts. Is that much labor needed for that job? Do you think I should call them back and ask what's the deal?
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    As well as the brake self-test, It could also be piston slap, if you are putting pressure on a cold engine from over-acceleration, or even a misfire - if it was a misfire, the diagnostic computer would record it.

I too, have the "trembling drivers door" which makes the plastic trim at the door catch area rub and squeak, and I too got the same response from the service dept. It all depends on what kind of road surface you drive on, which decides whether it makes the noise or not. Annoying in such a quiet cabin, isn't it.

Adjusting the door lock mechanism to fit better is the answer, but they won't do it. Keep telling them every time you take it in for service,so it is on record, as they will try and wait you out for the first 12 months, which is when the "noises,squeaks and rattles" warranty adjustments expires.

FYI there is also very commonly, a rattle from behind the radio which is a loose aerial cable touching somewhere.
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    I can see that a set of wires could cost the $62 bucks, but 6 plugs for $ 80, that's just highway robbery. Look in the owners manual, it tells you what kind to use, 1 choice is Champion, at least that is whats listed in my 02 manual. 1 Champion plug is about $1.50. That's $9 bucks for 6 plugs. I don't think a platinum plug is more than $4 - $5 a pc. Labor wise, $80 an hour is what a dealer has to charge. My local guy is $65 an hour. The back 3 plugs are bear to get to. So I would find out how much GOLD is in them there spark plugs. OUCH!!
  • mustlovedogsmustlovedogs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sante Fe and have had an issue of water getting into the airfilter - have had it looked at by several mechanics, no holes in the hose.. a lot of head scratching, no one's seen that before in this car - even at the dealership they didn't know how to explain how it happens - thier response to my ? "how does that happen if there is no hole in the hose?" was "driving in puddles.." - WHAT? I live in OREGON - we drive around in puddles and rain regularly, are there other owners of this car having the same issue - not that they've heard.. their solution, was to take the hose off the filter housing - saying it's perfectly safe, however I'd like to know if anyone else has had that problem and what theyre solutoin was, I coudln't believe a dealership couldn't figure it out - I also had a problem with it dying every time I went to get gas - spent several hundred dollars to get a new fuel tank put in - only to have it continue - again more head scratching at the dealership - read something here and found a $42 part, had it put in and it no longer dies at the gas station! Grief.. love this car, but seriously considering trading it in - after 10yrs, it may be time to do that anyway.. :confuse:
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    Perhaps an odd question...there's a nice plastic cover on the negative battery terminal of my 2012 Santa Fe GLS to protect from corrosion. But there's none on the positive side.

Is this normal? Should there be covers over both or is the plus cover on mine missing?
  • threebearsthreebears Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone out there help me? Looking to see if a 2010 Santa Fe, 2WD, 6 speed manual transmission can be flat towed all 4 wheels down behind a motorhome? Been getting so many different answers to this and want to know if anyone out there has towed with this car and if so, do you remove any fuses to do so beside putting the car in neutral and releasing the parking brake. Just got off phone with customer service at Hyundai and they told me that all they could tell me is what is in the manual regarding pulling a trailer and we are not looking to do that! We want to tow it behind a motorhome. Any help please???