Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL vs. Nissan Altima

jeffatljeffatl Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Acura
I am really torn between these 2. I drove both this morning and the Altima is more comfortable, but I'm an Acura loyalist. They are almost equal in performance with the Altima being about $7-$8k cheaper with the options I want (no navi), such as leather, satellite, etc. What am I missing. Car enthusiasts please tell me. I know all about the TL, but the Altima has features the TL doesn't, like CVT engine (fuel economy and efficiency), fold down seats, push button start, etc. Help!!!

Comments

• kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Sorry, wrong comparo, as the two cars are in different classes, have significant disparity in terms of equipment, performance, luxury appointment and, thus, price. If you are concerned with savings, take the 4-banger Altima on top of the wide price gap between the TL and the best equipped Altima.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "I know all about the TL, but the Altima has features the TL doesn't, like CVT engine (fuel economy and efficiency), fold down seats, push button start, etc"

Yep, and so does the Camry, Hyundai and some GM cars less the CVT engine.

"What am I missing."

It's an Acura i.e. luxury or near luxury name plate vs. Nissan.
  • jeffatljeffatl Member Posts: 12
    I know the Altima isn't perceived as Luxury, but have you driven this car??? How much disparity is there really between Nissan and Acura. Please explain. By the way, you're talking to a guy who has driven Acuras for 15 years, so I do have some loyalty. But this is why I put the question out there, because after driving an Altima, I don't see much difference in quality. And it seemed to drive better. They both have same engine, HP, etc. I do know that Acura has higher reliability ratings, but probably not by much.

But please don't just make a blanket statement. I know about perceptions. I want facts. What makes Acura so luxurious other than the name. The seats sure aren't that comfortable (my only real gripe after driving Integras all this time). Consumer reports also mentions the comfort thing.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    The acura should be compared to other luxury cars. test drive an infiniti, made by nissan and using such things like cvt an Ikey that you find in the altima), lexus, cadillac, lincoln, and audi. as for the difference between an altima and acura, Its all in the quality. luxury cars use higher quality materials and workmanship. they handle better, wear better, and look/feel better. If you think the altima is better, in some regards, to the acura; test drive an infiniti. It will blow your mind.

Its not just perception, the altima is not a luxury car, and nissan doesn't market it as such. Its a mid-size family sedan.
    "I want facts. What makes Acura so luxurious other than the name."

Here's an example.

Nissan: Every Nissan is backed by a 36-month/36,000-mile limited vehicle coverage and a 5-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage. Period.

Acura:
    Bumper to Bumper (mths/miles)
    48/50,000
    Powertrain (mths/miles)
    72/70,000
    Corrosion Perforation (mths/miles)
    60/unlimited
    Roadside Assistance (mths/miles)
    48/50,000
    Total Luxury Care which includes: 24 hour emergency and travel services & Concierge service.

For kicks- Infiniti-
    Roadside Assitance
    Trip Interruption Benefits
    Infiniti Limited Warranties:
    4-year/60,000-mile Basic coverage
    5-year/50,000-mile Emission Control coverage
    6-year/70,000-mile Powertrain coverage
    7-year/unlimited-mileage Corrosion coverage
    10-year/unlimited-mileage Seat Belt Warranty
    2-year/24,000-mile Federal Emission Performance Warranty
    4-year/60,000-mile Federal Emission Defect Warranty
    8-year/80,000-mile Federal Emission Long Term Defect Warranty
    4-year/60,000-mile California Emission Performance and Defect Warranties
    7-year/70,000-mile California Emission Long Term Defect Warranty
    Thats the kind of answer I was looking for. It pretty much confirms my initial decision that I wanted a TL. I was just taking the other side because the Altima at first glance was impressive. However, you have to look at the long term, as I do. I plan to keep a car for 10 years, and if I doubt it will hold up, I won't buy it. After all, its a depreciating asset. But Acura holds its value well. I will test drive the infinity, but I think its out of my price range. Need to research it.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    If the TL is in your price range, then the G would also be affordable.
    You can pick up a Journey for around the same amount of coin.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    You're comparing a new for 2007 car to one designed in 2003. Wait for the new TL to come out, then re-compare them.
    The bar is always being raised and I have no doubt Acura will re-up the bar.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    test drive an infiniti. It will blow your mind

Which Infiniti? The one for $12000 more? Or the G35 for $5000 more?

I didn't think the G35 was close to threatening the TL's grasp on high quality interiors at a great price when I looked at it last fall.
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    if you plan on keeping the car for 10 years, then resale doesn't make much of a difference. a ten year old car is a ten year old car.

also, with the price difference between the acura TL and the altima, you could buy a Nissan Gold Preferred extended warranty which will cover everything up to 100k miles and STILL be way less than the TL...

just some thoughts....

-thene :)
    Don't you honda people ever stop?

First off, The original poster was saying how well the altima drove, that it was comparable to a luxury car. I was simply telling him that if he though the altima drove well (nissans plain jane mass market family sedan) he should give one of their luxury cars a test spin

second, there is no more G35. there is the G coupe, and the G sedan

third, the G starts at 33k, same price as an acura TL
    "second, there is no more G35. there is the G coupe, and the G sedan"

http://www.infiniti.com/g_sedan/index.html

The G "sedan" starts at 31,450 but methinks that is without destination. Great value imho. ;)

TL starts at 33,625 + dest.
  • dannyrdannyr Member Posts: 12
    Anybody concerned about the price of a TL as compared to an Altima, just hold off until next spring and they will be giving them away as fall 2008 is when the next gen TL is expected to debut for the 2009 model year. Once it debuts at the car shows, Acura will have a fire sale on the 2008's. It's not often you can get a great window like this to buy a great luxery car really cheap as the new G35 and IS350 along with the next gen TL on the horizen will drive the current gen TL price way down.

Go to a couple of dealerships, find the one that will have the most 2008 TL's sitting on the lot, wait until the end of the month and I can guarantee you will get a TL cheaper than a loaded Altima, especially if the next TL is rear wheel drive, has a radical exterior makeover with 300+ HP. I remember the 2003 Maxima's being marked down as much as 25% off list because the complete makeover for the 2004 Maxima was coming and the the new Altima debuted with as much power as the old max.
    second, there is no more G35. there is the G coupe, and the G sedan

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I have a 2007 "G Sedan" and it has a shiny G35 logo on the rear right corner.
    Do you think they put that there by mistake?
    Should it say "Sedan" instead? ;)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Sounds like you got yourself a collector's item! Just like one of those US Postage Stamps with the upside down airplane! Man, your G"35" could be worth millions some day! Never sell it, Scott... :P

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Danny,

Excellent point. That may make me buy the Altima. I do not think the '07 Altima looks like a basic family car. It looks damn sporty IMO and drives like a dream. But the reviews aren't as good as they are on the TL. I do not want to wait a year, as I've wanted a new car for 2 years already. I drive a '99 Acura Integra GSR. While its a great car, I'm sick of Integras. They are not comfortable and I need more HP. Plus, I've owned Integras (2 of them) since '92. I don't really care for Infinity, but maybe I need to drive one. Definitely want a 4 door, not a coupe.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Yes there are quantifiable similarities between the Altima and the TL. On paper, the Altima is a better value. Just as an Accord is a better value than a TL.

But Altimas and Accords are common as house sparrows.

Some people get off on outthinking status oriented society and feel good driving a great value car like a high end Accord or high end Altima. Consumer reports often points out there is just a shade of difference between full-on Camrys, Accords, and Altimas and their luxury brand brethern.

But make sure you know who you are. If you get psychic benefit from driving something upscale, you will wish you paid the extra thousands for the luxury marque. There are little differences but their is also a premium to be paid for the ego boost.

It really never ends because if you go for the Acura, some will say only a Lexus will do. And if you go for the Lexus well its not a 7 series BMW and so on. The hedonic treadmill.

The truth is nobody cares WHAT you drive as much as YOU do. So make sure you get the car that gives maximum joy for minimum money.

All that said, I say go for the TL - its a little more special. I've had 2 Accords, an Outback and a Prelude since 1994. I didn't think I would get here but I can admit I want something a little more special. I have bought for value for the last decade but now I can see indulging myself a little.

The problem with the mainstream cars like the Alitma and Accord in full dress is they look pretty much like the $19,000 versions and are common as house sparrows. That worked for me for a while and its fun to laugh at materialistic society all the way to the bank. But now with two kids, in my 40s, coming up on midcareer, I am ready to indulge a bit.

But you are not crazy to get a high end Altima or Accord and save some money. Just make sure you know who you are and what motivates you and what will truly provide maximum joy for minimum coin.
    Yep, I feel the same way you do about wanting something more. I'm by no means a show off. Its about what makes me happy. The big thing for me is comfort as I approach 40 and have low back issues. I have a bad feeling that the TL won't meet that standard, but maybe I can live with it, as it will be a huge step up from my Integra. I was always leaning toward the TL, but with the new body style predicted to come out in '09 and maybe 4 all wheel drive, will these hold their value? It may not matter, as I plan to hold it for 10 years. My biggest issue with the TL is going to be trunk space, I just know it. After being accustomed to fold down seats, it will be a tough adjustment.
    "The big thing for me is comfort as I approach 40 and have low back issues."

Lexus ES350?
    Too pricey with options. I'm stretching what I'm comfortable with paying with the Base TL (if I get it). But the base is loaded except for navi.
    With lower back issues, is the TL really a good decision?
    I suppose it depends on just how bad these back issues are, but I don't see the TL being a wise decision if your back is bad enough to become a shopping decision maker.
    Its serious enough...degeneration of L2-L4. In Layman's terms, that means the fluid between the disks is gone, resulting in inflamation and pain in the nerves. Yoga helps and no surgery in the near future. I did think the TL was comfortable, but need to drive it again. But yes, the back is a major concern as I car shop.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    FWIW I find the Honda / Acura leather seats to be well built, supportive and comfy on long drives. My Accord and Odyssey have been good for 15 hours at a go.

Mercedes is highly regarded for seat comfort to the point that in some cars, the driver's seat costs more than the engine to replace!

I think the TL would be a big step up from an Integra in the seat department. But it all depends how it fits and feels to you.
    No, I wasn't busting on the seat itself... I'm saying that with a bad back, getting in and even worse, out of the TL could be a chore for people with bad backs.
    I know a guy who had to get rid of his Lexus SC for that same reason.
    Climbing out can be a real bear.

I have bad knee pain (insert joke here) caused by chondromalacia.
    I absolutely love my G35, but getting in and out can sometimes just plain hurt!

I think, with a bad back, a sporty, higher riding SUV may be a better fit, no?
    Not that the TL is really efficient on gas, but an SUV is out of the question due to rising gas prices and I just plain don't like them. However, it is a good point, just my bias (its always people in SUVs that cut me off while on a cell phone. Soccer moms, etc.). I had planned to buy today, being the last day of the month, but want to be sure and drive it again. I didn't notice any problems on my first test drive, but that was also a short drive. Sales guy didn't give me much time to drive. Man, it sucks getting old.
  • danilodanilo Member Posts: 69
    After reading your conversations here, I would really look into the comfort factor. Yes performance is great but at what price? The Altima has great seats(They are the old Maxima's) the Acura's seats have some limitations on the adjustments. (I have owned both)..... Now, After that I actually bought a BMW.... Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know, but the seats are soooo comfortable and the heated seats actually feel like a heating pad if you wish. look at the 328i..................Worth every penny.
    lots of pennies
  • jaeger1jaeger1 Member Posts: 43
    I love these people that pop up and say "You can't compare an Altima to a TL because the TL is a luxury brand" - like there's a law or something. Please.

I looked at both the TL and the TSX (and everydamnthingelse with four doors under 40 grand). The Alti and TL offer similar power, performance, space and luxury features. The TL offers a good deal of something the Altima doesn't: torque steer. The Altima is a credible competitor and has a strong value card to play relative to the TL.

Of course, if you're a mindless badge-wh0re that only cares about labels, then the Nissan won't be on your radar screen and the Acura brand will come up short against Lexus and BMW for impressing people.
    love these people that pop up and say "You can't compare an Altima to a TL because the TL is a luxury brand" - like there's a law or something. Please.

Its not that you can't compare them, its just that there isn't much point in it. the acura is a better car than the altima.......perid. to compare which car better fits your needs would be more appropriate To say which one is better, a small, compact, better built, better handling, luxury line car (that similarly equipped will run you at least 10k more) or a larger, mass market family sedan is, well, like comparing a porterhouse steak to a hamburger.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Well said, JD! It is beyond dispute that the TL is a better car than the Altima, objectively and subjectively speaking. Which car is a better value depends on what you can afford or willing to pay. This can be more subjective, but many objective parameters can validate one's conclusion.
    Its not that you can't compare them, its just that there isn't much point in it.

Beg to differ. I was looking at cars that covered approximately a 10k price span - some luxury brands (Acura TSX, TL, Infiniti G35) and some not (Nissan Maxima, Altima, VW Passat, Toyota Camry, Mazdaspeed 6). There very much was a "point in it" at lest for me and the guy who started this thread. Both cars were strong potential candidates to meet my needs and were compared in the most meaningful way possible - for actual purchase.

And by the way, the Acura dealer said he was hearing a LOT about the Altima from people test-driving the TL. He also said the biggest competitor for the RDX was not the "luxury" BMW X3, but the downmarket (in your mind, anyway) Mazda CX-7. And people cross-shop the Accord V6 and TSX all the time. Fact of the matter is, cars offering similar features and similar prices will be cross-shopped regardless of whether they bear a luxury nameplate or not. People inevitably have a price "range" rather than a specific price "point" and that range will often embrace both "near-luxury" and higher-end mainstream.

But more to the point, when someone starts a thread saying is he seriously considering car A and B, what on earth is the point of responding by telling him he "can't" because one is a luxury brand and the other not? Surely that is unhelpful at best and utterly condescending at worst? Who are you to say he can and can't compare?

Oh, and as for the conclusory statement that the "TL is a better car, period." Well, not in my books. It's better in some respects, not as good in others. Would be nice if the brilliant engineers behind that "luxury" brand could manage to solve the torque steer problem. The plebians at Nissan have figured it out.
    One last time, never said he couldn't compare the two, just that he is comparing two entirely different animals. That being said, Its not that nissan figured out torque steer, it just next to impossible to have a small FWD car with that much horsepower and not have torque steer. Its why cars like nissan's Z have RWD.

But the point is, compare the two if you want. nothing wrong with that. But, the TL will win in just about every measurable way except size and price. The TL will handle better, will use more expensive/higher quality materials, be better constructed and so on. They engineer it that way. Thats not to say nissan doesn't build cars to higher specs also, they just call call them infiniti.

And I don't say that as a Honda/Acura homer, I buy almost exclusively nissan. But the point remains, your comparing a small compact car to a midsize family sedan. your comparing two cars that are not only in a different class, but also a different segment, and target entirely different buyers.

But to get down to brass tacks, If the original poster is single, not worried about price, and want top quality and performance........get the TL. He'll be much happier in it.

If He is married and has kids (or planning on it in the near future), doesn't want to break the bank on a new car, and not worried about (what some would consider minor) quality differences then get the altima.
    Okay, you really lost me here:

But the point remains, your comparing a small compact car to a midsize family sedan. your comparing two cars that are not only in a different class, but also a different segment, and target entirely different buyers.

You're saying the Altima is a "small compact car"? Have I got that wrong? If I don't, have you actually seen one? They are EXACTLY the same length; the TL is slightly wider, rides on a shorter wheelbase (i.e. more overhang), offers lightly less front headroom and slightly more rear headroom.

Altima smaller??? Come again?

As for the rest, well, we just see things differently, which is more than okay with me.
    I was saying the altima is bigger, which i think it is. especially in rear seat room. But like you said, we see things differently. Personly, I just don't think the altima (I own a 2007, bought it in FEB ;) ) is comparable to a TL. But, it costs 30% less.
    Okay, I got you now. But the Altima isn't bigger - dimensionally they are about as close as can be. One gains an inch or two here and loses it there. Do a spec comparison right here at Edmunds and you will see.
    Got to add my 2 cents here......... The Altima IS a better ride! Period! I have owned Acura's and my wife bought a TSX, only because of the NAV system. She hated the TL and loved the Altima but for her the TSX fit the bill. It is all about what you like. Some like the nissan feel and others like the Acura feel. Acura's are extremely overrated for what they really are. I 'd take a loaded Altima over a TL any day and the price is far less.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    I really want to like the new Altima, I also can get the Nissan VPP program. My son has an 05 and I love the power.
    Sat in an 07 at the dealer have not test driven yet, this was a 32000 car, but for some reason my cheapness meter went off. Since the dealer is connected to a Acura dealer went and sat in a TL-S, was nice but more than I want to pay. Sat in a TSX and wow, I need a test drive right now.
    Drives real nice but was underwhelmed with the power in the auto. Will need another test drive without the dealer in the car. I was just blown away by the TSX interior quality,compared to the Altima. That being said I really have to wait and see the 08 Accord. Old Mike
    Jaeger, awesome post. There is quite a bit of arrogance regarding the TL from what I read. Acura is an awesome brand, but yes, you can compare the 2 as I did. While it may be marketed as a "family sedan", it feels like anything but when driving. On the other hand, I see way too many of them on the road, though not the '07 3.5.

As JD mentioned, I am thinking to the future regarding the kids factor, though none at the moment. However, I don't want to get a car that looks like a dull, boring family car. While the Altima may be marketed to a different market, the '07s are nothing like the old ones, which I always detested. There is a ton of room inside and the new body style is pretty sweet. Fold down seats, unlike the Acura (pisses me off Acura didn't do this), CVT engine, better comfort, etc. Acura TL has a better stereo, navi, more standard features, LESS HP (on base model), probably better built overall though. Again, I need to find something definitive to help me make the decision. It may come down to price, although once I get the options I want in the Altima, that may also be the same. But, you definitely can compare them, as I have. This coming from an Acura loyalist.
    I will reply to my own message. Did take a test drive today in a 07 Altima CVT 3.5 Sl, found it to be very nice, good power and I believe I could still detect some torque steer but nothing like an o5 stick. I looked pretty close at the interior and found it to be better than my first impression.
    Sat in a TSX dealer did not have an autos left to drive so I could not take a second test drive at this time. TSX interior still seems to be of higher quality but the Altima is not all that far behind.
    Old Mike
    Old Mike,

The TSX is a very compelling choice on many levels. I was very tempted by it (moreso than the TL, actually) when shopping. The factors ultimately weighing against it were:

1) Lack of power. IMHO, manual is the ONLY way to go with this car - and even then, it's merely (and barely) adequate. The superb shifter / clutch combo does compensate somewhat. But with the auto, if FEELS slow and IS slow. Add three passengers and...

2) Lack of space. My wife sat in the back seat and said it felt smaller than her '01 Civic. She was right. If hauling adults in back is something you do a lot, this may not be the best choice.

3) This thing is about to be replaced by something you may have wished you waited on. If they come out with a sharp AWD canyon carver with the turbo motor from the RDX, you may get a terminal case of buyers remorse.

As for the Accord, the barely-disguised spy pics circulating the 'net suggest that we are in for another dose of suger-free low-fat vanilla in the styling department. They will all be beige no matter what the colour, if you get my meaning.

I would agree that the quality of the Acura interiors across the board is a cut above the Nissans, but I do not find the Altima interior "cheap" to the eye or to the touch.

Just my thoughts.
    Well, I'll be taking another drive in the Altima tomorrow. Plan to take the TL home for a night on Tuesday, so we'll see how it goes. I did talk to the Nissan salesperson today and she indicated a $31k price tag on the Altima. If thats the case, I may not get it. Additionally, one of my buddies told me its a "ghetto car". Had no idea. But it comes down to what works for me. Maybe its time to look at the Infinity and give it a shot.
    Your "buddy told you it's a ghetto car?"

No comment.

Jaeger
    lol. cadillac better watch out
    Jaeger1: That is why I need a second and perhaps third test drive of the TSX, to check the passing power. We had 3, 4 cylinder accords over the past 10 years and they were ok in the passing department with less hp. TSX is classified as an sports sedan in many reviews, I think of it more as a sporty sedan, but I believe that higher torque might really be a requirement of a sports sedan. I don't need losts of space, kids are grown my wife has an Escape if I need more space or a 4x4. I know the TSX will have a redesign but dont beleive that will hit the dealers until spring 08.
    The new Accord will have a new safety cage,new V6 that should really get good mileage, while the Altima is not that good on mileage, I am coming off lease of a Jeep GC where I get 13 MPG on back roads going to work, at 3.20 a gallon this is not good. The Altima is probably a bigger car than I need at this point in my life, but I do love the power, and I can get a good price through the Nissan VPP program from my work.
    Bottome line, Altima fast, adequate interior,larger car.
    TSX seems slow,beautiful interior,good MPG, smaller.
    TL larger, fast, nice interior, I like the TSX better.
    My Opinion.
    Old Mike
    Nobody has mentioned this, but you might want to check out the altima coupe. Deffinitly sportier, lots of power, great handling. and not at a bad price. I think people like you are who the coupe is intended to target.
    I test drove the Altima again today and then the Maxima. Love the Maxima. I really like both, but the Maxima is classier. Going to pick up the TL on Tuesday for the night. After all the talk about the TSX, I may look at it as well. Decisions, decisions...
  • dannyrdannyr Member Posts: 12
    The more I think about it the more I may go for an Altima coupe. I am also debating whether to go for a TL or take the coupe. 90% of the time I'm alone in the car or driving my 7 year old around and by the time he complains about the limited space in the back seat of the coupe he'll be old enough to have his own car so the lack of 4 doors is a non issue. I really don't care how cramped adults might feel in the back seat the once a month I might have adults back there.

No doubt the TL is a great car and the fit and finish is a cut above the Altima coupe or sedan but the coupe is faster, the handling will seem better just because of the smaller dimensions(even though the TL will still have better slalom #'s) and with fold down seats is actually more practical than the TL. Also the fact that the TL is due for a major redesign next year seems like you'll be shelling a good amount of coin for a car that will look dated quite soon.

As for the TSX, I've driven the car and the it is fun to drive with a stick and the interior is quite stunning considering the price of the car but, let the flaming begin, but I can't get the over the fact the car seems too female to me, call it the Jetta syndrome. Maybe it's because all I see is women driving them but I can't get past the impression it's the feminine version of the TL. Call me shallow but it's like that with me for a Miata. Great car but give me a Solstice any day of the week only because it looks masculine. I can't drive a Miata without wanting to hide my face, Mazda would double thier sales if they just toughen it up but I digress.

Anyways the coupe just seems like a good deal for something that looks good, is reasonably priced, and judging by the reviews is more sportier than the sedan and still has the advantage of being manageable in the snow.
    Anyways the coupe just seems like a good deal for something that looks good, is reasonably priced, and judging by the reviews is more sportier than the sedan and still has the advantage of being manageable in the snow.

Not just that, but your getting all the advantages and features of the new 07 altima, just without the sedan. You'll get the same 270hp VQ without noticable torque steer, Ikey, CVT (if you want it), along with all the other improvements Nissan made to the atli.

There is a downside though. The altima coupe just became availabe for sale in may, and they are hard to find. Most that you see on lots will probably be pre-sold, and you may have to order one. Also, you'll most likely end up paying sticker price. Don't expect the dealers to budge much on price till sales drop off later in the year.
    I think the Coupe looks great - had I not been in need of four doors and ample back seat room, I might have held out for it.
    ">
    thats the same problem I had. the wife and 3 kids just don't fit well in a coupe :P
This discussion has been closed.