Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL vs. Nissan Altima

Comments

• mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    I will shortly be 59 the TSX looks ok to me, but perhaps I may have dropped a few points in testosterone level by now.
    My problem with the TSX is the low torque with the auto, really need a second/third test drive.
    Altima V6 not that great gas mileage, but I love the power,also do not think I need that big of a car at this stage. Been driving Jeep GC's for the past 10 years.
    Going back to a car might be difficult, I like sitting up high, and every time I look at where a car comes on the bumper I keep thinking that if in an accident in a car, a car will go right under an SUV. That is what the new safety cage in the 08 Accord is designed to help protect from, I believe.
    Max for 07 has CVT but no redesign of the chasis like the Altima and it looks to me that they used the 05 Altima dash.
    What else to look at Camry, A4,IS250,S40/60,9-3,G35.
    So many choices but not one really fits exactly, at least for the money I want to spend.
    Old Mike
  • jaeger1jaeger1 Member Posts: 43
    Camry - boring but good. But really boring. Driver isolation over driver involvement every time. Good looking inside and out, but still drives like a Camry (albeit a quick Camry).

A4 - AWD traction (good), German ride / handling (good), German reliability (not so good).

BMW 3 - see above. Too pricey for what you get, IMHO.

IS250 - Nice enough handling with RWD layout, but a bit of a snooze where power is concerned. Posh Lexus nameplate is its strongest selling feature (if that means anything to you, it doesn't to me). Even smaller in back than the TSX (at least that was my impression).

S40 / 60 - Haven't driven one.

9-3: GM vehicles aren't my style and too many bad memories.

G-35 - Superb in all respetcs. If I were spending TL money, I'd spend it on a G.

Mazdaspeed 6 - Pegs the fun-to-drive meter pretty high. Relentless power and torque, tenacious handling with the standard AWD. Styling is a bit wonky (bulbous hood to accomodate the turbo plumbing. Only available with a stick (hooray I say, you may say different).

Question - just what is this new safety cage in the 08 Accord that you keep going on about? Something new and revolutionary that only they have? I really don't know anything about it and since the car isn't even out yet I am wondering what you are basing your information on. If you are basing it on Honda marketing telling you that they have raised the bar in safety on a passenger car, wel..... You keep coming back to this car, so perhaps you should wait on it. I definitely don't like what I've seen from the barely-disguised spy pics, but then I don't have to.

The TSX is a fine machine but it's not going to get any more powereful or responsive just by hoping it will. I wouldn't relish the thought of any 2-lane passing manouvers with that vehicle, particularly if an automatic is in the offing.

If you find the Altima sedan too large and don't care about back seat room then the Coupe might be worth a look.

You may not find a "perfect fit" - decisions usually come down to the "best fit".
    Well thanks for your thoughts on all of the cars,I happen to agree. Yes like anyone else only info for sure is what Honda marketing says about the 08 Accord.
    Altima coupe could be possible, in fact I saw one at the dealer on Sat but it was a four cylinder so did not bother to test drive. If I choose an Altima it will be the V6.
    Yes have to wait for at least better info on the new Accord,
    but I suspect it will also be larger than I actually need.
    My lease end is August 26, if I cannot decide on a new car by then I will rent for as long as it takes.
    As far as the TSX passing power I am not afraid to beat the heck out of the engine. But on my first test drive I had the engine screaming and I did not seem to be going anywhere. This was not on the highway, and it might have been possible that the trans did not down shift, possibly due to the need for it to learn driver habits, if it even does that.
    Old Mike
  • rmcneicermcneice Member Posts: 20
    I've been shopping for something in this class and have narrowed it down to these:

TL - just not as classy inside as many of the others. Yes, it has a lot of stuff standard, but it just didn't feel luxurious to me. Drives nice though.

BWM 328 - still haven't driven one, perhaps this week. I agree it seems pricy once you add in all the things the others seem to include. I would want to try the AWD model (snow issues).

Infinity G35 AWD - nice car (I have an I30 now that I will trade in). This is definitely a contender. Nice power and luxury, but it didn't seem to have the immediate pick-up that my I30 has. Perhaps the test model needs to be broken in more or perhaps it's the AWD model over the rear wheel drive???

Lexus ES350 - beautiful car inside and out. Front wheel drive and good power, if not as large an engine as some of the others. Seemed very quick and better cockpit layout than the others (to my eyes at least). Theya re also being discounted well right now with the 2008 about to come out in 2 months - @$1000 over invoice. This is the way I'm leaning right now.

For an Altima priced at $31K I would definitely go a small bit more for the Lexus.

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Mike - sounds like you have the luxury of time, so at least there should be more hard info on the Accord by the time you are ready.

Bob - what is the price of the Lexus ES 350? When you say that the Lexus is "a small bit more" than the 31k Altima, are you:

1) Comparing list price to list price or discounted price to discounted price?

2) Comparing comparably equipped models?

3) Does the Lexus give you a lot more than a loaded up Camry, and what is the price differential there?

The reason I ask is that I have often heard the criticism of the Altima that "for a few dollars more you could buy a G35". I find this a bit misleading because I looked at the G very closely when I was shopping. While it is true that a fully loaded Alti is within a couple thousand of a base G (and it is always the case that top end of a lower model approaches or exceeds the price of a base level upper model) the difference between comparably equipped Alti and G was $10k (Canadian). Not a "small bit more" for me.

Jaeger

PS - The other catch is that the "Base G" essentially does not exist - it is simply a marketing tool so that they can be advertised at an attractive "starting at" price. My dealer could locate only 2 in Canada when I was looking.
  • rmcneicermcneice Member Posts: 20
    Well I can't say that I looked at the Altima myself, or a loaded up Camry, so I'm going off previous posts for that 31K number.

But a Lexus ES350 with a premium plus package but no navigation (an extra $2000 option) sells for between $34K and $35K (MSRP is about $38K). This is truly a luxury car from the gound up- not something spruced up with extra's.

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Okay, so we're talking about your preference for a 40k (list, with Nav) Lexus over a 31k (list, with Nav) Altima. Kinda what I thought. I'm sure the Lexus is very nice - as it should be for that price.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "This is truly a luxury car from the gound up- not something spruced up with extra's."

You don't think the ES is a "spruced up w/ extras" Camry?

I got a bridge for sale :blush:
    Here in the USA (Florida)- you can get a ES 350 comparably equipped to a loaded Altima for around 32-34k, less the Navi of course.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    While it is true that a fully loaded Alti is within a couple thousand of a base G (and it is always the case that top end of a lower model approaches or exceeds the price of a base level upper model) the difference between comparably equipped Alti and G was $10k

exactly right. same way you can buy a base alti for about the same price as a fully loaded sentra, or even a versa. but when you compare the fully loaded sentra/versa to a fully loaded alti, you see about a 10k difference.

But 31k is on the high end even for a fully loaded alti. that would pretty much be MSRP. Depending on your negotiating skills, you should be able to get one in the 28k range.
    Jaeger; That is one of my problems with the Altima, it can be over 32000, I know they are pricing them up with Camry, and Accord, but loaded for about 26000 is more in line for a V6. Also the 30000 Jetta was a joke VW found they could just not sell at those high prices. They are selling a lot of Altimas, but they are the cheaper ones, my dealer stocks very few V6's. the rest are the four cylinders for much less money.
    Might have to at least look at an is250 AWD but that too is more than I wish to spend. But it does have slightly more power than the TSX.
    Old Mike
    Pricing on the Altima is right in line with Camry and (presumably) the new Accord. You may feel that all these cars are overpriced and you may have a point, but it is the going fare. Germans cost more, Japanese premium brands cost more, Americans cost less. You may want to look at Hyundai as they tend to undercut CamAccAlt by a couple grand.

Keep in mind that while the IS250 AWD does have a bit more power than the TSX, it is also carrying a LOT more weight - as in 300lb. more. That is the rough equivalent of having a defensive lineman as a passenger all day every day.

Jaeger

Edit:- When I was looking up the stats on TSX / IS250 I was reminded about something else that bothered me about the Acura - the boatlike 40ft. turning circle. It is something I have seen owners gripe about on Acura boards. My substantially larger Altima turns a significantly tighter circle - an important feature where urban manouevering and tight parking are part of your driving reality.
    No not really interested in a Hyundai or even american cars, I will of course pay the piper like everyone else for what they really want, if I can decide what I really want.
    If I do end up with an Altima it will be because I can get a very good price through the Nissan VPP program.

Old Mike
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Infinity G35 AWD - nice car (I have an I30 now that I will trade in). This is definitely a contender. Nice power and luxury, but it didn't seem to have the immediate pick-up that my I30 has. Perhaps the test model needs to be broken in more or perhaps it's the AWD model over the rear wheel drive???

I have an 07 G35x and low end acceleration is not a problem... maybe it was your particular loaner. With the adaptive learning tranny, maybe your test car was babied.
    Put it in DS mode and you'll see a major difference in acceleration.
    First gear is 'sink you in the seat' quick, but when second gear kicks in, holy cow!

I came up behind an 07 Altima yesterday on the highway and I have to say, it's actually very nice looking on the road.
    I like the newly designed back end, and the rear/side angle view is also very nice.
    The front end though... not too sure I like that.
  • jeffatljeffatl Member Posts: 12
    I will be picking up the TL for the night and will test the turning circle and pay close attention to the comfort. I will be paying close attention to both and if they don't measure up, will look at the Maxima and Altima yet again. The Maxima looks classier than the Altima, but less HP and $3500 (approx) more.
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    Just giving you a heads up. I had the newly designed Maxima in '04. A very nice car! It had a turning circle just shy of a aircraft carrier, and horrible torque steer. I now have an '07 AltimaSE 3.5 No torque steer and turns fine. I'm not sure when they added the CVT to the Maxima if they corrected the torque steer problem. Enjoy the shopping/hunt it's half the fun! I do love the Altima by the way!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    '05 TL owner here. Very wide turning radius (like the aforementioned aircraft carrier...!). One of my only dislikes of the TL. And for me, was not a factor in deciding to buy the TL. So, you know going in...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

05 TL owner here as well. Turning radius was at the bottom if at all on my list of deciding factors. Since, I don't live in a very congested area like Manhatten, NY or do u-turns more than once a month ( more like 2 months), the boat like turning radius of the TL was a non-factor. It is horrendous though.
    Car shopping sure is fun ;)
    If you put a 6MT in reverse, turn the wheel all the way to one side, get the RPMs up to 6,000 and drop the clutch, I hear they turn on a dime! ;)
    I now have an '07 AltimaSE 3.5 No torque steer and turns fine. I'm not sure when they added the CVT to the Maxima if they corrected the torque steer problem.

It wasn't the cvt that ended the dreaded torque steer problem. The lowered the engine so the half shafts would be level.
    It wasn't the cvt that ended the dreaded torque steer problem. The lowered the engine so the half shafts would be level

Correct. The transmission had nothing to with it. The fix came via and all-new platform which the Altim rides on, but the Maxima doesn't. It still wiggles and squirms.
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    Probably said it wrong. When they added the CVT tranny to the Altima, they also corrected they torque steer problem that annoyed it in prior models. They are not related, i just wondered if they addressed that problem on the Max at the same time they made the tranny move to CVT?!?!? So, did they lower the engine on the Max too or leave it the same?!?!?
    It's not that they simply lowered the engine on the Altima, although that (and equal length half-shafts) is the primary reason for the near elimination of torque steer. It's that those changes were all incorporated into Nissan's all new "D" platform which the Altima rides on.

The Maxima does not share this new platform and hence has not benefitted from those commendable changes. The Maxima is pretty much as it was in terms of torque steer. One more reason it is becoming an increasingly hard sell against the Altima.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    "The Maxima does not share this new platform and hence has not benefitted from those commendable changes. The Maxima is pretty much as it was in terms of torque steer. One more reason it is becoming an increasingly hard sell against the Altima."

If this is indeed true, there isn't a whole of reason in spending more $$ on a Maxima than an Altima. Although Maxima is Nissan's flagship car, it seems like the Altima is better, at least from a technology perspective. Do I see an imminent demise of the Maxima since it is a slow selling car, despite hefty discounts. Nissan had always wanted the Maxima to compete with the TL, but it has consistently failed. Potential buyers usually cross shop Maxima with Avalon, Camry and Accord (and even Altima).
    The Maxima's main strength is a high level of model-specific brand loyalty. Lots of Maxima drivers will ONLY consider a new Maxima when the time comes and not cross-shop anything else at all. Says a lot for what the car has deliverd over the years.

The Maxima's biggest weakness is a lack of self-definition. We are WAY to hell and gone from the 4DSC ( four door sports car) days with the current model. So what is it, exactly? I would LOVE to see Nissan return to its performance roots with this model and make the new Maxima a smaller, higher-performance offering than the current Altima.

The world does not need any more bloated limos, with transparent sporting pretensions - which is what the current Maxima has become IMHO.

Jaeger
    The Altima's redesign is more recent than that of the Maxima.

I would not be surprised if the next gen Maxima puts the Altima to shame... in all categories.
    "I would not be surprised if the next gen Maxima puts the Altima to shame... in all categories."

I hope it does - and as Nissan's flagship, it should. But not if Nissan's idea of "better" is to simply keep making it bigger and heavier as they have done with each successive generation of the Maxima.
    The Altima's redesign is more recent than that of the Maxima.

I think, its 2009.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    "The Maxima's main strength is a high level of model-specific brand loyalty. Lots of Maxima drivers will ONLY consider a new Maxima when the time comes and not cross-shop anything else at all. Says a lot for what the car has deliverd over the years."

I know the Maxima very well, as I owned three of them - 92, 97 and 03, which were all reliable and performed well. After the 03 version, Maximas have become bloated and less sporty. More importantly, I believe quality control has declined, as they are no longer made in Japan. I am not trashing the Max by any means. I think it is still a fairly respectable car, but it isn't the same 4DSC that Max fans used to know and identify with. I hope Nissan finds a way to revive this flagship to its glory, instead of hiding in the shadow of its little sister Altima.

I drive the 06 TL now. It is a great car with lots of techno features, and it is priced very well when compared with cars of similar caliber, such as BMW 3 series, Audi 4 and G35. Like the current Maxima, TL is made in the U.S., and it comes with a few annoying squeaks that the dealer has yet figured out a way to fix. Other than the squeaks, the car performs beautifully, and is a better car than the current Maxima in ALL RESPECTS.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Ok so warranty makes a car a luxury car? I have driven 3 TL's last few years and I will say that I love the TL, but for the $4K difference i'm not sure right now, the Altima is not as quiet as the TL, and it is a little light int he steering feel, but it has more features and optiosn thana TL. The backup camera is better, it has push button start and the interior is as roomy or more so. Also to argue the nameplate debate, honda takes a eurpoean Accord and puts an Acura TSX badge on it and charges us Americans more for it, so really what is the difference? The TL is an American Accord with some nicer features and a $3K-$5K premium. What it comes down to is does the vehicle you are looking at have what you want for the price you want.
    I doubt the next TL will be rear wheel drive, if it is the price will be substantially higher than the current one as the reason current TL is reasonable is it share many components with the Accord. It may have SH-AWD, but again that will drive the price up. And the fire sale won't happen until fall of 08 when the 09 TL starts shipping and I still don't think they will be as cheap as a loaded Altima.
    Have now taken second test drive in TSX auto and Altima
    3.5SL and I am still confused as to what I want or need.
    This was a high speed test drive no dealer with me on the TSX, but dealer in the Altima but I did not care, told him in advance will be going very fast on four lane.
    TSX really have to rev the engine, could not get it to kick down a gear in regular D, perhaps need to really press the pedal to the floor hard, not sure. What this did was to make the RPM climb slowly never got to vtec, since by then was going too fast,around 80. Problem was getting to 80 seemed like it took to long, also was not real happy with
    on ramp merge, my jeep seems faster. Taking bumps at high speed, suspension rock hard. Air condition nice and cold,
    stereo believe it or not the Bose in the Altima might sound better, not 100% sure on this did not adjust base and treble too much.
    Altima, pure effortless power at any speed up to about 80, did not go faster. Did not notice torque steer,high speed merge no problem, bumps in road OK, drove same route in both cars, tried to find worst parts of road.
    My problem, Altima bigger than I need, not as nice interior,worse MPG,would rather have a key than push button start, belive it or not really like the blue lights in the TSX dash. Did notice Acura salesmen never seem to smile. Almost like why do you want a second test drive, just buy it now, it is of course better than other cars.
    Old Mike
    mf15

I have owned 3 Acura TL (04, 06 and now 07) and driven a TSX routinely as loaner cars. I have taken the 07 Altima 2.5 SL out twice now for a test drive and I can tell you the Bose in the Altima blows away anything int he Acuras. The TSX has the wimpy 360 watt sound system from the Civic. The TL has some fancy under powered muddy sounding ELS DVD-A system. The JBL in the Camry this year and the Altima Bose both run circles around anything Honda offers. Honda is so far behind in offering quality sound systems it isn't funny.
    I have not driven the 3.5 Altima, btu was very impressed with the acceleration in the 2.5 Altima. Most would never know it is a 4 cyl, they would think it is a small 6. The TSX is narrow and cramped for me, but I am 6 foot and 225 lbs. The Altima has at least as much room or more than my TL. The Altima is just about as quiet on the road as my TL. Where the Altima falls short for me is the numb steering. I almost thought I was in a Camry, the lack of center sterring feel and the overly light steering with no feedback were bad in my book. The ride quality was good, the interior materials are as good as my TL or in some instance (dash) better. I do love the TL guage cluster and smoother sleek look to the center instrument pod. One thing Acura offers that I think they all shoudl, is the TPMS is viewable via the info panel and it shows the exact pressure in each tire. I like that becasue I am anal about my tire pressure and don't want my tires all over the plce. Most TPMS will warn when 20% low that could be 6+ PSI under inflated. The backup camera in the Altima is way better the the TL. If the Altmia had better road feel and steering I would be down grading from my TL. A peppey, luxorious big car with all the bells and whistles and better MPG with only small performance (in real world driving) and save $7K is a no brainer. Nissan has a winner if they maybe could offer some sport package that would fix the numb cacoon like steering and feedback. Next up, let's see how Honda does witht he new 08 Accord, the bar is being raised pretty high by Nissan.
    I have a feeling Nissan is holding something back for the SE-R versions of the Altima coupe and sedan. No doubt 18" wheels with wider peformance tires and a more dedicated sport suspension will grace those models.

Thanks for the candid and detailed TL / Altima review.

Jaeger
    Keith if you were impressed with the 2.5 try the 3.5.
    Glad to see I was not hearing things when I thought the Bose sounded better than the TSX stereo. I was so occupied
    with the 3.5 power I did not pay too much attention to steering and road manners, will need another test drive.
    Yes the 08 accord may set the bar higher will have to wait and see. If Honda has not done what Nissan has done it will still have torque steer, where the Altima has eliminated it.
    I am leaning towards the Altima right now, even with the things I do not like about it. I have also checked online inventory at 4 local dealers not one has a bare bones Sl,
    they all have about 4000 in additional options I dont want which brings it up over 32000.
    The TSX drove very nice, good steering feel, with connection to the road, but I thought the suspension was perhaps harsh transmitted bumps or holes in the road quite well/perhaps too well. Old Mike
    Went up to the Nissan and Acura and even Lincoln dealers today Sunday so I could look at colors without being bothered. Looked at milan and mkz, no thanks don't like the dash,reminds me too much of my sons 89 F250.
    Liked the blue or sunset altima with charcoal interior
    I guess I might have to live with the orange dash lights, but if I buy they could be changed to blue. Tl interior nicer than Altima but probably not worth the price difference to me. Pretty much ruled out the TSX for lack of torque although I love the car. As I was looking at the TL's
    out in front of the Acura dealer I noticed one sitting up on blocks with no wheels, someone must have got the wheels last night.
    The question is to wait on the 08 Accord, not sure I like the pictures of it on the web, but I am sure they will raise the bar mechanically and on the interior.
    I have now checked online inventory of Altima barbones SL's
    for about 50 miles out of Philly, perhaps one or two, I do not want navi. But the good thing is that the rebates have started on the Altima. Perhaps they want to get rid of the 07's before the 08's start to roll in, or they are not meeting sales goals, they still have not caught the Accord, let alone Camry.
    Old Mike
    Perhaps I spoke too soon, I see that there now is 1000 cash to dealer on the 07 TSX, so if you can get it at invoice -1000 that is 25761 +TTl, not bad. I guess will have to take it on one more test drive and really push hard on the pedal to get it to kick down then check the passing power at high speeds, will also take a tire pressure gauge and see if the tires are at 40 psig which might have made the bumps on my last test drive seem rock hard.
    I also think the Altima once you add options is priced too high compared to camcords. So might be back to square 1 for a little while,still have time.
    Will no more when the media embargo ends on Aug 21st for the 08 accord. Old Mike
    08 will be last year fo rthe current body styles of the TSX and TL, my guess is by May 08 the TSX will be replaced witht he 09 and then by October the TL gets replaced. I have driven TSX and TL, the TSX is a firmer and shoppier ride, but well controlled. I run my TL tires at 37 PSI and they still ride decent. The Altima is a little noisier on the road than the TL and a bit less behaved over the bumps, more jittery. But the Altima is a nice ride, very comfortable and the Bose blows the doors off the TL and TSX audio. The TL interior ergonomics are one of the best in any car I have seen, the guages and control layouts are nice and the flow of the center pod with the nav and controls is seamless and very pleasing to the eyes. The Altima guages are a tad cheapy looking. Also one thing I love about the TL that I have not seen on anything else is the way they light the guages. They are at full brightness when the headlights are off, then when you put the headlights on they are where ever you had them adjusted to and with a simple push button (during twilight) you can MAX the brightness then when it gets darker hit the button again and they go back. Guage lights shoudl not be a distraction at nitgh and many people run theirs too bright casuing them to take away from detail ont he road, I hate having to constantly adjust the guage brightness and the TL has the perfect solution.
    Just my opinion, but that $1,000 in your pocket isn't going to make the TSX any torquier. How many times have you test-driven it now and found the torque lacking each time? Having already ruled the car out for lack of torque, trying to talk yourself back into it because somebody dangled a $1k carrot in front of your nose seems like a recipe for buyers remorse to me.

Jaeger
    Jaeger1: You are probably right, it seems that I am really looking for power over refinement at this price point.
    I also see that there now is 1500 cash to dealer on the TL.
    I stil have time and can wait to see what else develops, really dont think Tl will get any better but the Altima could have higher rebates even though Nissan has stated that they do not intend to use rebates much anymore.
    Anyhow I have now looked about 100 miles out from Philly
    found two blue SL's but with blond interior without tech package and I think one or two slate with charcoal interior.
    Really would like the blue/charcoal. I keep telling myself
    no grey/silver cars.
    Old Mike
    the Altima could have higher rebates even though Nissan has stated that they do not intend to use rebates much anymore.

the only specials nissan has offered so far on the altima are .7% financing, and the $500 rebate for college students. with the exception of some modest rebates at the end of the year to clear out the remaining 07's, I wouldn't expect to see anything substantial. as long as continues with its double digit year to year growth, they really have no reason to.
    At this stage, with time to play with, waiting to see what the '08 Accord delivers makes sense. I am SERIOUSLY underwhelmed by the exterior styling and the one pic I have seen of the interior (with a ginormous cavern in the middle of the dash) doesn't warm my heart, either. But in V6 form, it should certainly deliver power and refinement in spades. It's your call on the styling.

Of course, when it comes to getting any kind of a discount on that car anytime soon - fuhgeddaboutit.

Jaeger
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    I'm just curious....but have you driven a nicely equipped Legacy GT? I honestly don't think much competes when value is interjected.
    For some reason at least at my age do not like the hood scoop. But thanks for the suggestion. Old Mike
    Jaeger: From what I can see on the new Accord from the pictures I am also not overly excited. I wonder if it is worth test driving a 2.5 Altima many people say it has lots of power, for a 4 banger. Tonight I am driving a rental Camry 4 cylinder LE while the Jeep is in the shop. So far it is fine perhaps somewhat underpowered, but only have driven 5 miles. I see that the Altima HID's are reflectors as opposed to projectors, I wonder how much difference that makes in night driving. It is possible that I might have to test drive a V6 Camry besides the trans issue not sure what else might be wrong with them. Old Mike
    I see that the Altima HID's are reflectors as opposed to projectors, I wonder how much difference that makes in night driving. Old Mike

I don't know what it is about the altima's lighs, could be the bulb, angle, or reflector/projector as you said, but it is one thing I would compalin about with mine. low beams just don't provide much light it seems. can see great with the hi's on, but with low beam the distance both in front, and to the side, that get lit seems very small.
    JD10013 Do you have the Xenon HID's and find them not so good. I knew I needed a night test drive, if the lights are bad that is a total deal breaker for me. When I sign my name as Old Mike I mean it, the eyes are not as good as they once were. Old Mike
    Old Mike, taking the Alti 2.5 for a spin is certainly worthwhile. I was very surprised by how strong it felt - I think in this application the CVT transmission really makes the most of that motor. It will probably feel stronger than the automatic TSX because although it has less horsepower, it has more torque. But it is nowhere near the 3.5, it probably goes without saying. I recently recommended to a close friend of mine who was considering the Altima that he drive the 2.5 extensively, and if happy with the performance, never touch the 3.5 - 'cause it's hard to go back.

I took a close look at the Camry - excellent in many respects but very boring. Complete driver isolation is their goal and they have very nearly achieved it - but I am not that kind of driver.
    Jaeger: I find the Camry to be floaty, trans seems to hunt too much, lights at night are weak, seems to have good pulling power, stereo OK, not enough adjustments on the seat for me but this is only an LE. Now dont everyone shoot me but, either there was something wrong with the TSX I drove, or they were so refined that they did not feel like they pulled as hard as the 4 cylinder Camry using the seat of the pants meter.
    Old Mike
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    I had a loaner tsx auto when I had my TL. Unless you floor it to let the auto rev it out...it's barely moving. Nice car...shame about the motor...the 4 cyl in the reg accord feels better in about 90% of conditions.
This discussion has been closed.