Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Electrical Problems

2»

Comments

• orangemitiaorangemitia Member Posts: 1
    DID YOU EVER RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, NO TAIL LIGHTS OR DASH LIGHTS.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That happened to me once and it was a simple fuse. Even if they don't look burned out, there could be a hairline crack, so replace it anyway.
  • ronin77ronin77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 make mx5 and the gauges on the speedometer seem to jump a bit now and again. When the temperatrure gauge started doing it I had it replaced, in fear of causing damage to the engine. However, it is still...dancing with the music. It is apparently an electrical issue of some sort. The throttle of the engine seems to have ups and downs, nothing critical though. I will try changing all fuses tomorrow but any other clues or ideas would be most welcome...
    Thank you
  • lordelpuzlordelpuz Member Posts: 16
    Hi, I am still having overheating probs with my 1990 Eunos roadster, on hot days in traffic jams it tends to heat up too much, so much so the header tank makes all sorts of knocking noises as it gets too hot.
    Ive renewed the sender ontop of the thermastat housing and renewed the rad cap but still the rad fan wont come on, recently i read somewhere about linking the aircon fan to the rad fan to bring the temp down faster, which i have done, all the fuses are ok so i cant come up with any other sugestions as to whats stopping the normal fan from coming on when it should.
    I would be gratefull for any help on my problem.
    My '93 was overheating and I had the water pump swapped out. That still didn't help - it was actually the Thermostat itself. One that was replaced it ran great again.
    Ok thanks, I did wonder about the thermostat, but the bottom hose was hot as it should be so the water was circulating properly, but...I'll try a new thermostat!
    Thanks for the reply. :)
    Hope that helps like it did in my case...keep us posted.
    I heard another possiblilty today, could be the relay or fan fuse in the main fusebox, not sure about the latter as i swopped that over from a friends mx5 last week, Ive ordered the thermostat and hope to get it and fit it tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again.
    Good luck.

Changing gears a bit, Maza sales were up 35% for May. :shades:
    hi and thanks, I think the prob was indeed the thermostat, since getting and fitting the new one the car hasnt boiled up, but having said that i havent exactly been stuck in a lot of traffic, but then the weather has been hot, i think it would have been a lot hotter in the header tank if i haddent changed the stat.
    I did put the old one in a pan of boiling water and it did open, but who knows, ..maybe not enough, so,..thanks again!
    Great, hope that fix holds up. :shades:
  • kgtaroukgtarou Member Posts: 2
    I did the same thing. Blew out my main fuse. Replaced it and am having some of the same issues (dead radio, dead dome light, trip odometers reset to zero after turning the engine off, cruise control not working)

Was wondering if you ever resolved your problem
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Picked up a “91” Miata MX-5 (49,000 miles) the other day for my wife for Christmas. Great condition, with one exception; previous owner had battery problems. I can see he had a new battery in it now, but it’s a wet cell replacement that the Mazda dealers are now putting in and not a gel AGM battery. I believe the alarm system is partly, if not solely, to blame for this battery drain problem. I would like to disable or remove this alarm totally to eliminate this possibility before I buy a Westco. Miata battery. The alarm whines, beeps and screams even when I’m trying to just jump the car. I’m guessing it’s an OEM alarm system but I could be wrong. It has little black on/off switch directly under the steering column but that doesn’t seem to do anything. I only have an entrance key for this car and no key fobs. I’m hesitant to do anything without knowing if this alarm is an engine immobilizer also. Any help on how to operate, disable or remove this alarm would be greatly appreciated.
  • lonewolf10lonewolf10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a friend that bought one of these cars,MX5,along with it came some electrical problems, I have straightened them all out except for one,,no turn signals or E flashers,,could someone tell me where the flasher unit is located ? or what it looks like ?,,,,,,,,,,,
  • njmx5njmx5 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 mazda miata, i had just put in a new battery in the car in Feb. 2011 and now my car has completely died electrical wise. i tried jumping it, and it worked after 20 minutes of turning the key. i stalled it out when it finally started with my excitement and i could not jump it back up again. it initially stalled out in the middle of trying to shift into 2nd and all the power went out and the last thing to go off was my engine, has this problem ever occurred for anyone?
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    I would have the alternator checked first to be sure the battery is getting a charge.
  • dubie3dubie3 Member Posts: 1
    The car has died. No electrical working except the lights. I replaced the battery $110.00 and was no help. Still no electrical working. Could it be the 80A main fuse??. Any help appreciated. :cry:
  • carolina11carolina11 Member Posts: 1
    What did you have to do to correct the problem...I think I did the same thing in hurry. Can you suggest a fix?
  • kgtaroukgtarou Member Posts: 2
    It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that it was multiple burnt-out fuses. Make sure you check ALL of them.
  • ellenbkellenbk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Mazda Miata which suddenly developed an alarm problem. The green lights on the dash start flashing and horns beep when I try to open the driver's side door. Close the door, start the car and after a bit the horns and lights stop. I climb out of the car (thank goodness it is not raining) but I need a solution. Brought it to the local dealership and they had never encountered such a problem. I am going there tomorrow morning. Any one have any ideas on what it could be?? At one point the key symbol showed on the dash.
  • ricksford1ricksford1 Member Posts: 1
    Lately when I switch my 1990 Miata headlights from low to high beams, there is a momentary outage. Could this be the relay?? Ricksford