Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Monte Carlo Instrument Panel Problems

bvolstadbvolstad Member Posts: 1
My 2004 monte Carlo SPEEDOMETER IS ERRATIC, indicated going 30 mph, even though I was driving at or near the speed limit on Interstate 55 MPH OR I was going 80 MPH and it read 45 MPH. Dealer wants $500.00 to fix I Hope GM recall soon. GM trucks and suv have this Problem.

Comments

• pittgradpittgrad Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 MC speedometer just stopped working. All my other gauges in the panel work perfectly? Fuses seems to be okay. . .not a lot out there I can find on fixing this problem other than taking to the dealer.
  • mrtaylor1mrtaylor1 Member Posts: 1
    MY GUAGES WORKED FOR A WHILE ALSO AFTER MY SPEEDOMETER QUIT ON MY '04 MC. NOW THE OIL GUAGE AND TACH ARE BOTH ERATIC. SO FAR THIS PROBLEM HAS COST ME $225.00 IN SPEEDING TICKETS.
  • wheresmyvettewheresmyvette Member Posts: 4
    no recalls. you all need a new cluster. about $250 for the part. has to be programed at the dealership.
  • jstjohnjstjohn Member Posts: 1
    My Mom's 2004 Suburban is also totally ERRATIC. She was at a stop and it said she was going 120 MILES PER HOUR!!!!!!! Her speedometer bounces back and forth with no rhyme or reason.This should be an immediate recall by GM and Chevrolet.
  • indigo9indigo9 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problems! First it was my tachyometer which was showing in the red zone, though the mechanic said nothing's wrong (except for the gauge itself) and today my speedometer was showing 30mph when I was doing at least 70mph...

I'm thinking if enough of us complain about it, they may recall, cause there's a definite pattern:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
  • lbpmswlbpmsw Member Posts: 1
    I just read these postings and am having the same issue with my 04 MC. I just called the NHTSA and they said there has been 6 reported complaints on this problem with the 04 MC. The lady said everyone needs to call (888-327-4236)
    into file a complaint for it to be investagated. Please call and maybe we can get a recall going!!
  • rhastingsrhastings Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, but with my 2004 Trailblazer. My speedometer and tachometer stopped working at 32,000 miles. Chevrolet has recalled four models from the same year for having the same faulty instrument cluster, but not the Trailblazer. What needs to be done to get Chevy to recognize that Trailblazers were affected too? The only answer I've been able to come up with is to make a claim with Chevrolet at 800-222-1020. I was told that is as far as it can go, and that there's no one I can submit my complaint to in writing. Chevrolet needs to accept that this is a larger problem then they're willing to admit! Please call!
  • jeff818jeff818 Member Posts: 8
    I'm having the same problem with my 2002 Monte Carlo SS. Not just the speedometer, but the oil pressure, RPMs, and temp. The only thing on my panel that works is the gas indicator. It all started when I hit 70,000 and I'm now at 78,000. This is making me crazy and our local GM dealer quoted $680 to repair, and said it must be repaired at a GM dealer because of all of the work and programing that needs to be done. I loved this car until this major problem started. After reading all of the other issues and GM's lack of recall, I'm real tempted to leave GM -- and we've been GM for three generations in my family and this really stinks.
  • keaporsch1keaporsch1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey. I just replaced my instrument cluster on my 2005 Monte last month for $430..Im going to call NHTSA to try and get us all some refunds!! Thanks for posting the number!!
    I filed a complaint with the NHTSA and also got on chevrolet.com and posted a complaint with them. I told them we are a 3-generation family of Chevy owners and this was making Toyota look attractive. They have called me three times, but I've missed them. I called back on Friday and am awaiting another return call. I'll post to let everyone know if I get any results.
  • slyss2000slyss2000 Member Posts: 4
    Thank God I havent had an issue with my speedometer, but I did have an issue with my oil gauge on my 2000 SS. I would be driving and all of the sudden the needle would just start bouncing from one end to the other. Turned out all I needed for that was a new oil level sensor. Other than that the only problems I have had with my cluster is light bulbs burning out or going dim. Most frustrating. I try very hard to maintain my monte and keep it looking new, but the quality of the car makes it difficult.
    The oil level and gas level gauges are the only thing that work on our cluster. We love our car and are trying to work something out with GM. I sent an e-mail to them and they are apparently considering these on a case-by-case basis. I hope we are approved for their help. I'll update after I find out.
  • montecarloss9montecarloss9 Member Posts: 8
    i have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS Im having issues with my security system.As long as im driving and the security light comes on the car will start again if the light is not on and i turn the car off 9 times out of 10 the car wont start the light just flashes sometimes the car will start after 30 minutes i know other people who own GMs with this same problem i truly feel General Motors need to correct this issue because its definetly a manufacturer's issue also the traction control,ABS,and service traction system light is on i seen many GM vehiches with these same problems GM need to recall these vehicles and not expect the consumer to pay for a manufacturer's mistake hit me up if you experiened problems like these or something similiar
    I haven't had that problem. Just the cluster issue. I got on the GM website and e-mailed them about my problem. We first had our car checked at 65,000 miles for the cluster failure. Given that fact, GM is going to cover the cost of the cluster (over $600) and we need only pay $85 for labor. That's a blessing and I urge you if you have a problem similar to get on the GM website and e-mail them. They are handling these cluster failures on a case-by-case basis. Good luck!
    THANX 4 YOUR ADVICE DUDE I TRIED 2 GO ON GM.COM 2 E MAIL THEM BUT I DIDN'T SEE AN OPTION THAT SAID E MAIL IF YOU CAN GET ME THE DIRECT INFO HOLLA @ YA BOY GOOD LOOKIN OUT
    DONT BUY A TOYOTA EVERY CAR COMANY HAS ITS ISSUES I'D BUY A NISSAN BEFORE I BUY A TOYOTA OR HONDA
    I went to chevrolet.com instead of gm.com. Sorry bout that. At the very bottom of the page is a Help Center. Click on there and explore Maintenance, Service, and Repair. I kept looking for a contact me, or file complaint section. Good luck.
    thank you homie i appriciate da love!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're welcome!! Have a great day.
  • tamusetamuse Member Posts: 1
    I have had a problem with the electrical system since I bought mine... Seems like the lights dim and brighten whenever they feel like it, my cd player would work then not work, my battery gauge has been all over the place and everytime I asked the dealer they said there was no problem, now all my gauges are out of control, most recently my speedometer went out when I went on vacation I nearly lost control on a curve due to not knowing it was messed up. It slowly goes further and further out as I drive until Im going 0 miles and hour and passing people. They still refuse to fix the issue, had to call a friend who's is a mechanic to find out it was the instrument cluster and would cost anywhere from 200 to 2000 depending on the cluster. Wow..with as many people that have had this problem you would think it would have been resolved by now.
  • leslieannleslieann Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 M.C with 44,000 miles and my cluster is gone also. I called GM and they told me that unless the have a number of people in a certain area call in with the same problem they will not recall this is crap i take great care of my car and looks like it did the day i purchased it so lets all get together and bug the mess out of them its gonna cost me $480 to get it fixed :mad:
    Leslieann -
    I would go to the Chevrolet website. We are a five-generation family and I told them that. Esp. since you only have 44,000 miles. That's not right. I went to the contact us part of their page and filed a complaint -- that's how I got action -- and my car had 68,000 at the time. It's worth another try. You'll have to have your Vehicle ID number and they'll want the name of the service dealer you contacted. I hope it works for you. Don't give up. Here's the website I went to: http://www.chevrolet.com/helpcenter/contactus/ Be sure to use the link to e-mail them. A form comes up to complete. I had a response in about a week or two.
    Good luck! Jeff
  • gwlkdlgwlkdl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Monte Carlo and have had similar problems as the ones Ive read about here. The security system is completely screwed up. I went to the chevy website that you listed in your post and I filed a complaint. I was contacted the next day. I was told that noone else has filed this particular complaint so there was no recall on it. I have read enough on the internet to know that Im not the only one having these same issues. I think Chevy needs to be flooded with calls and emails until something is done. It is going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 to have it fixed. I was given a service request number and the guy said if anyone else calls with the same complaint it will be filed under this number and then after enough complaints something will be done...Lets flood them with emails people...
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    If you haven't done so already, check for other reports at NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation and file a complaint.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• gwlkdlgwlkdl Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. I I asked the guy at chevy for the web address for NHTSA and he said all he had was a phone number. Thanks for the info.. I will file a complaint with them also.. I hope others will do the same. Especially when there are so many people with the same problem.
  • chevyp2pchevyp2p Member Posts: 1
    good luck
  • davel5davel5 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 05 Monte Carlo (Tony Stewart Edition) with the same instrument cluster problem. Dealer told me it was not covered under any recall, so I've just sent a email to chevrolet.com. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon!
    Be sure to list your loyalty to them and how you would hate to change automakers in this economy because of a problem GM is aware of. I told them we are a 3 generation GM family -- I think that got their attention. Good luck!
  • lilpiasanolilpiasano Member Posts: 1
    Ok. i see that several people have had the same issue. So has a outcome been said yet about what to do. My car has 53,000 miles and the cluster went out. The speedometer works off and on, the gas gauge doesnt work at all and the Rpms dont. Any help on what to do would be great!! Thanks :mad:
  • candyapple1candyapple1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 70,000 miles and the speedometer quit yesterday and the transmission started slipping at same time. I have been looking for two days now and it seems it might be a speed sensor or worse. Any suggestions?
  • mrbill24mrbill24 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 Monte LS (Yellow in color and NASCAR themed) and my guages are all messed up big time. I feel like all the rest, it's GM's problem and should be addressed. I sent an email to them. I, too, hope enough sent they will get the idea that we're not a bunch of happy campers!!! :(
    I sent an email to Chevy yesterday about my issue with my cluster and got a phone call from them just about 15 minutes ago. He was very polite and seems he wants to get this problem fixed, so he called the Chevy dealer here in town and set up an appointment to have it diognosed. He then said he'd see what Chevy can do when he calls me back after the diognosis which is Monday morning. I will keep you informed.
  • okeddie46okeddie46 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 monte carlo that has 60000 mile and my speedometer is freezing up i know 2003 to 2005 pickups are doing the same thing and they had a recall on them i call customer service from gm and complained they said they would try to help me but they need more to call them where this will go on a recall here is the number 1-866-790-5600 maybe we can get this done
  • capncalyxcapncalyx Member Posts: 1
    OK folks heres whats going on. Ive been in contact with people (cust. serv.) at GM over the last week - its been a total NIGHTMARE. These cust. serv. people will try to talk you in circles and most of them can barely speak good english so its been very difficult to deal with them. There was no other way around it, they said i HAD to get a diagnosis from a local GM dealership so that they could SEE if they MIGHT be able to help me further (what a racket!). Luckily the local GM guy only charged me a half hour rate or id have been out about 85 bucks for something that GM hasnt even told me if they would help or not. SO, i get a call back today from cust. serv. saying that my vehicle is out of warranty (DUHH!!) and that because of the age of it and that there is no recall on this vehicle blah blah blah that they will not be able to help me with this problem. By the way i just bought a 2004 Monte SS INTIMIDATOR with 63K on it and its a SERIOUS P.O.S. I told her we have been a GM family for at least 50 years and that ill never EVER buy another GM vehicle and will tell everyone in my family not to do so either ever again. She said "I'll put that in your file". I told her "why" because its not like GM gives a shyt anyway and i told her where to shove it after she said 'have a nice day'. Thats about as far as i think any of you are going to get. The people who ARE getting thier clusters fixed i think are few and far between and there must be some special reason they are getting theirs fixed. So again luckily i didnt have to shell out the full amount for a diagnostic (i KNEW that it was a big risk anyway and that i probably wouldnt get any help). Best of luck everyone.
  • csalcsal Member Posts: 1
    I too have the same problem as many of you had. My 2005 Monte Carlos speedometer goes CRAZY and now the odometer and gas gauge also are going crazy.
    I think that GM should recall for this problem as it seems to be for many, many people. My family have always purchased GM products but perhaps we will start purchasing others.
    It is a terrible thing for a large company, who the government has just bailed out, at our(tax payers expense)..to do NOTHING for us..please send complaints to NHTSA.
    There is usually something done if there are enough COMPLAINTS..Also please e-mail or call GM Direct! this problem should be taken care of. If anyone has had it taken care of..How did you get that result??
    Paulie 1945
    I don't know how the people that had it fixed got it done. I was told that they (GM) would pay 25% and I would have to pay the 75%! I am buying the part (Cluster) and having it installed for under $75, including the cost of the part. I've done all I could and I guess GM did all they could. Which isn't MUCH!!!!
    I don't know how the people that had it fixed got it done. I was told that they (GM) would pay 25% and I would have to pay the 75%! I am buying the part (Cluster) and having it installed for under $75, including the cost of the part. I've done all I could and I guess GM did all they could. Which isn't MUCH!!!! :mad: :sick:
  • jbrantley58jbrantley58 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Monte Carlo the speedometer was erratic and now has stopped working all together. The tack gauge is now starting to do the same thing, When it was under warranty, I took to the dealership and they said I had to bring it back while it was going crazy. Some help they were!
    Tell you the truth, wouldn't have done any good, I did mine :sick: and still they didn't help as they should have, just me pay 85% of the tab to fix! It still hasn't been fixed. :mad: Got an eye on one in Ebay, :D will try that. Good luck to ya!
  • natrolltide05natrolltide05 Member Posts: 1
    I have had problems with all gauges except my fuel reading. I have taken it to different shops and the answer given is "computer module failure." I was wondering where did you manage to get yours fixed at for under 500 dollors. Please help
    Well, what I did was go to Ebay, search speedometers in automotive. There are many different ones for the 2004 Monte. I got the serial number off my erratic one and searched. Unfortunately, the first one I purchased was still the wrong one, not all the guages worked, so I sent it back and ordered another one which fit perfect, with the exception of the oil guage which lights up if a problem instead of the guage. Other than that, everything works just fine. It was around $100 and as good as new. Good luck in your endevor to replace yours.
  • mcbambimcbambi Member Posts: 1
    I replaced my gauge cluster..Monte Carlo SS 04 Intimidator myself. Ordered through Carl Cowles on ebay. Done in one hour. Cost: $200...paid $400 and upon return to Carl the gauge cluster you are immediately reimbursed $200. Great ebay transaction with Carl.
    I bought on on Ebay also, cost me less than $20 to have it installed, but I kept the old one. Wasn't exactly the right one, only the oil pressure gage didn't work, but the oil pressure idiot light works, so no problem. Better than the one I had, that's for sure.
  • kman187kman187 Member Posts: 1
    this is my second Monte my first one the gauge cluster stopped working now my 2005 Monte its gauge cluster is going bad i think gm should do something about this problem i know im not the only person that feels that way so what can we do