Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Air Conditioning Questions

Comments

• amoose67amoose67 Member Posts: 1
    notice a growling noise at times in my 04 expedition only on start up and very intermittant any bobdy else with this problem sounds like coming from dash dealer said to shut a/c off before shutting off car didnt work heater door problem??
  • jimq2jimq2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the Phoenix area, and I have complained repeatedly to my Ford dealer about ineffective A/C on my 2008 Expedition. As a matter of fact, it is in the shop right now for that complaint. They are planning to replace a valve of some sort.

I have a 2008 Focus as a rental car, and in 5 minutes it will freeze you out if you leave it on full blast. My wife's 2003 Sable wagon is just as cold. I had no problems with either of my earlier Expeditions, 2001 & 2003.
  • ffrank39ffrank39 Member Posts: 3
    I replaced my rear actuator & it's more time comsuming than difficult. Start with plastic trim under rear tailgate & just work forward to include bottom plastic on rear passenger door. That will allow you to finally get housing off. There are two actuater motors (both cheap plastic) & I was charged $ 64 in Fl. It's all labor
    Frank
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    You can get the one that controls floor / ceiling by popping the change tray out of the top of the rear wheel well, it is right there. 15 minutes tops. I've seen postings on other boards about people doing the hot / cold one without doing all the trim, just by wiggling their hands in through the change tray and cup holder openings.
    Thanks for note..on my 2003 there is a removable access panel on top that lets you see the two actuators but not actually get at them. Tried that route first :>)
    I'm shocked you couldn't get at least the floor / ceiling one from the top, it is literally right under that panel. You must have really big paws. My experience is based on my '03 and my '04, which are the same as yours.
    my Expedition was built 11/2002 sold 3/2003. Top actuator is vertical facing inward & almost touching housing..no access. other actuator can have two of the four screws accessible with box/open end but remaining two buried under cover.
    I was able to get my floor/ceiling one from the change tray with a1/4" drive socket. Tight but made it in. Either way, moral of the story is save the $400 bucks and DIY.
  • drive6drive6 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the L.A, area and also have a 2008 expedition that just does not seem not blow cold air as it used to. I will be taking it to the dealer next week to get checked. What was all replaced/repaired on your expi? Does it now work?
  • ranger5253ranger5253 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with the Rear Air. It currently blows only warm air. Front seems to be working fine. Are there two units? Any ideas?
    Does it make a thumping noise when you try to switch it? I'd guess the blend door actuator has stripped gears.
  • prit5kidsprit5kids Member Posts: 1
    my 1999 ford expedition has air conditioning issues. first thing in the mourning the air work pretty good, but as the day goes on especially if i drive alot (getting in and out) by the end of the day its only warm air. one thing is that if the car is going fast it works ok(hwy) but around town , stop and go type driving it eventually starts just blowing warm air. anyone have any ideas ? thanks
  • captmooncaptmoon Member Posts: 1
    hey guys had the same problem on a chevy colorado it was the plug connection on the fan itself you should replace that plug end how ever i just squeeze mine with plires it work ok for a while. was in here for my 2003 Expedition thought this may help someone else.
  • aceeacee Member Posts: 1
    Today my ac starting acting up by surging...blowing air high then low, high then low etc... and staying in this pattern. Then after trying to solve the issue, the ac seems to only blow in the highest setting and when turned down a notch, it completely shuts off?? Any ideas? Thanks
  • massenforcermassenforcer Member Posts: 1
    This problem has been happening to me for a few years now. I've narrowed the problem down to moisture getting through the firewall and shorting out something under the steering column. I also get strange noises near the ignition switch and my Digital Clock/Thermometer will flash on and off.
  • elmajeelmaje Member Posts: 2
    I have a pin hole in on of the lines going to the rear AC unit, when I took it to the dealer they wanted $2,000.00 to replace a $160.00 line. Being that I do most of my maintenance and repairs, I think I will do the repairs my self. Does anyone have any advice as to what I may be getting my self into? I have looked and surveyed the situation and it seems to be a monster of a job so please help
  • aliciaexpaliciaexp Member Posts: 1
    I charged my a/c up yesterday and it worked just fine all day. Last night I went to the store and when I got back in the vehicle the a/c would no longer blow. Today after sitting all night I went somewhere and it started blowing right away, but when I cut it off and tried it again in 10 minutes it would not blow. I hear the compressor clicking on and off but it's not blowing.
  • uberp88uberp88 Member Posts: 1
    I am hearing an intermittent hissing sound around the dash area. Now The AC unit is not cooling well. Sound familiar to anyone?
    You are low on refrigerant. I have had it almost since new, but not enough to make me want to hunt it down and replace stuff. the big issue would be a leak in the evaporator which menas the dash has to come out. I just refill mine every two years and it is fine.
  • ptbruiserptbruiser Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Expedition and have just experienced the same thumping noise. There are two actuators (DC motor/gear box assemblies) on the rear A/C unit. One apparently controls the flap that channels the air to either the ceiling vents or the floor vents. The other controls the temperature regulator. Like one of the other members, I removed the flap control unit, took it apart, and found a broken tooth from one of the plastic gears lying loose in the casing. Also, I agree with one of the other members about an apparent design flaw. That is, the control unit seems to keep torquing against the flap after it has aleady closed, rather than sensing the pressure and shutting off. Based on other blogs I've read, this unit has been a problem for many, many years. This, along with other nuissances, really makes me question if Ford (and other auto makers) really pay attention to what is going on. Apparently, they do not.
  • ptbruiserptbruiser Member Posts: 2
    I have the same thumping noise with my 2005 Expedition. The other members have hit the nail on the head. It's a DC motor/gearbox assembly (opaque white box). There are two of these units in the rear A/C - one for controlling the flap that channels the air to the ceiling/floor vents and the other that controls the temp regulation. The flap control, which is the one with which I'm having problems, broke one of the teeth off the plastic gears inside the unit. Based on my observation, along with other members comments, this unit apparently keeps torquing on the flap door even after the flap closes. Over time, the plastic gear apparently weakens until the teeth snap off. It's a little aggravating to get to the unit (have to remove several interior trim panel to access the rear A/C), but it beats paying the repair shop. It's too bad that Ford (and other manufacturers) won't listen to its customers :mad: and fix apparent problems like this. It's obviously been a problem for many, many years :lemon: .
  • annhowellannhowell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ford Expedition and have to experienced the thumping noise in rear passenger side. When I turn on the back vents it starts the noise immediately. Also, my front vents do not blow but the back ones work well and the air conditioning works well. Any suggestions on what this might be.
    The thumping is one of the blend door actuators in the back, there are two of them. When you change from floor to ceiling does the noise go away? If so, that is the actuator that is giving you the trouble, and it is easy to fix. The other one controls the temperature mix and is harder to get to. Easy fix once you are there though.
  • jimbo95jimbo95 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I had my OEM a/c on my 2007 Expedition last year at a Ford dealer. Quite frankly, it's not cooling as well as the OEM a/c unit that was replaced. Is there a problem with the replacement units? I have taken it back to the dealer twice to have it checked out. Each time they tell me that it's working and cooling. I live in Houston and it's hot here.
    Any advice?
  • bigboyfordbigboyford Member Posts: 1
    When I run the ac on my 02 expedition xlt the ac switches for the front vents to the defrost vents about every 20 seconds. It still blows cold but it wont stop switching vents.
    That is a vacuum leak. You should check the vacuum hoses under and around the battery tray, they tend to corrode.
  • randaerandae Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I have a 2003 Ford Expedition the rear air does not cool but front does. Any suggestions?
    That sounds like it may be a blend door actuator in the rear. There are two - one controls the hot to cold mix, the other the floor to ceiling mix. When you turn the dial do you hear clicking from the right rear quarter?
  • larsmarrlarsmarr Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Ford Expedition and have noticed that on long trips (especially on hot days) that the AC blowing "strength" decreases from the vents over time when it is on MAX AC, it still blows cool air, just the airflow decreases. If i turn off the car, and back on it comes back on to full strength for a while, but then gets weaker over time. Any ideas?
    How long does it sit from when you turn it off and then back on again? I recall on some years there was a freeze up issue that made the performance detriorate over time as frost developed. Of course after sitting and melting it would be fine. I don't recall the details of what MY's were effected and what fix was.
  • girlfridaygirlfriday Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar problem with my 2007, but it's so infrequent that they are having a hard time fixing it. Mine actually stops blowing cold air and then pops and starts blowing really hard - but then just sometimes. It's happening more often so I hope others have figured this out.
    Under 5 minutes, which i guess could be long enough to thaw out in the Texas heat. Is the frost just part of normal operation in a hot climate or an indication of a problem?
  • chuachua Member Posts: 1
    hi guy i need all your help please . i got a ford expedition xlt 99 and and the rear ac is ok but the front ac is not blowing cool air ..can anyone tell me what is the problem ..

thanks
    if I recall correctly there was a TSB and a fix for the Expeditions effected by it. I don't know if your MY is one of them, but you could ask the dealer.
  • girlfridaygirlfriday Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get this resolved? I've had the same problem with my 2007. Thanks!
  • mjwoolleymjwoolley Member Posts: 1
    Hey gang, my 07 Ford expedition rear A/c works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I can hear it clicking when I push the fan speed. Does anyone know where I can download a free manual that tells me how to remove the acess panel to access the A/C or does anyone know how to do it. Thanks for any help.
    Mike
  • dought88dought88 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with my rear air. Have you found any solutions yet?
  • hctryhctry Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2010 Expedition EL in Dec 2009 and didn't check the A/C until
    early spring. When I turned it on the A/C wasn't cooling, but I left it on for a little while to see if it would eventually start cooling. It started to make a terrible sound, but when I switched it off the sound did not stop. I was close to a dealer so I took it in.

A bad compresssor he siad, and it is unsafe to drive as those are metal parts
    "banging around" in the compressor. I rented a car to get home (dealer didn't have loan cars). When I got home the phone rang and the dealer said the car was so new there were no compressors in San Antonio, it would have to come from Up North.

Three days later I picked it up, turned it on and drove 20 miles home. It died before I got home. I returned it the next morning and they said it was another bad compressor. This rent car was on FORD to get home. The dealer called to say they had just received an alert from Ford and there was a bad lot of compressors. Also, everything that carried liquid in the engine compartment had to be replaced.

A week later I picked it up and it appears to be fixed.

Anyone have a similar experience?

hctry
    edited June 2010
    That is probably a blend door actuator. If when you change the temp selection (hot/cold) you hear the clicking, that is the harder of the two actuators to get to. If it is for the floor to ceiling, that one is easy. They are both located under the p/s rear quarter window, which is where you will hear the clicks / thumps coming from.
    In the rear passenger compartment,underneath the plastic cowling in the back of the SUV, There are 2 regulators, previous threads in this post explain it better than I am, but it is a white plastic square box that more than likely has some gears that are damaged in it. I took mine out and headed to the local Ford Dealer to get a new one, it ran me about $60.00 and took me less than an hour to replace.

I have not been able to find any kind of service/repair manual at all for the 2007 Expeditions, but would appreciate any pointing me in the direction to get one. (it doesn't have to be free, but that would be nice).
  • lauderdale1997lauderdale1997 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    ford experdition 1997. when i turn the a/c on the engine starts to run rough,check engine light on ,code po402 egr excessive air flow, everything with egr has been change , is there a spot in the wire harness where the problem could be, o yea turn a/c off for awhile engine runs ok
  • notasoccerstarnotasoccerstar Member Posts: 1
    did you ever fix this?My 96 expedition is having the same issue.
    a/c not blowing cold air up front means ur Blend door shaft is broke, I replace mine, front a/c blows cold again, as for the motor runing rough when a/c is on most like the TPS (trottle position sensor) is bad ,I replace mines from advance auto parts $32.42 truck runs like new again after almost 5 years of having this problem. Let no if this help, Good Luck
    turn out to be a bad (TPS) Trottle position sensor, replace sensor truck run fine now,
  • tinkbelltinkbell Member Posts: 1
    I have recharged my 06 Expedition a/c unit twice in the past six weeks. Each time the a/c blows cold air for about three weeks then goes back to blowing hot air. I added the dye both times and looked for the leak, unable to find one. Today I broke down and took it to the shop. They called me with an estimate of nearly $1,675.00 saying that the entire a/c unit needs to be replaced. And that they can see two leaks on either side of the compressor. I'm not sure why they would need to replace the accumulator, condenser, and evaporator if they are only seeing leaks around the compressor... And I have a feeling they are trying to screw me over seeing that I am a girl. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • wkugelwkugel Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: Can anyone tell us DIY's how to remove the interior trim to access the rear a/c unit to replace one or both actuators?
    Which one? One of them is super easy, the other a little harder. The floor to ceiling one is easy.
    Not sure yet which actuator. My concern is the interior trim panels. Where are the screws or other clips that I need to know about to release the trim without breaking them?
    I understand your concerns, I'm trying to save you having to disassemble the trim pieces. You didn't say what year yours was, but for the second generation I can offer you the following;

For one of them you don't need to touch the panels at all. For the other one I have read of people doing it both ways, with the trim in place and a little contorting, and by taking the trim off. The problem with the trim is that you need to start at the hatch and remove all the pieces on the top and bottom to free up the quarter window trim.

You can easily tell which actuator it is - does the hot and cold work properly in the back or does the floor to ceiling work properly? Or do neither work??

If you insist on taking stuff apart before you figure out which one you need to fix, this is the best way to start...
    The floor to ceiling actuator is located right under the little tray under the p/s quarter window. To remove the tray you need to flex the side walls of the tray towards the middle of the tray to unhook the arrow head barbs that are holding it to the large expanse of trim. The beige box you see in the opening is the actuator. Now if you want to see if it is the problem, unplug the electrical connection to it and see if the clicking goes away. If it does, that is the cuplrit and the whole fix will take 10 minutes and cost $50. If it doesn't, then you need to get to the other one. It is exactly the same size box, down lower on the wheel well arch, and in that general area. You will have to feel around and remove it blind if you don't want to do the trim. I have read of people taking the second row cup holders out to reach back towards it to get a second hand in there.

If you decide on taking the whole thing apart the trim is held in by spring clips and barbs, there are no hidden screws. Grab and pull.

Be careful when you get your replacement part(s). While the actuators look the same they are not. The axles are different.
    Thank you for your reply. I spoke with the Parts Dept. guy at my local dealer and we decided it was the air flow actuator (located on the top) because the temp was easily raised/lowered. I took the cover off as you described and found the unit. Before I took it off however I decided to run the system again to just observe or listen to the clicking/thumping sound. I couldn't believe it....it clicked once and then started working perfectly. I messed with the overhead console controls but nothing changed....it just worked perfectly. I shut off the car and the a/c several times to see if it would act up again but it didn't. I have decided to hold off replacing it until the thumping resumes. I am pretty darn sure it's the top actuator and your explanation saved me a lot of work that would have been unnecessary. Thanks!an