Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Real World MPG

Comments

• 1trulove1trulove Member Posts: 29
    Response to amiliv: Yes there is truth in the need to break in a new motor. Some engine parts are not perfectly matched. Break in is the removal of some metal as the engine parts "seat" to each other. While minor, this process is necessary to remove friction and create a smooth running engine. Synthetic oil so slippery it will only extend this process using expensive oil. Also since the original oil becomes contaminated with removed metal particles, an inital oil change should be done at the 3,00 to 3,750 mile interval. I chose to run "dyno" oil again for another 3,000 before changing to synthetic. Most sources recommend 5,000 to 7,500 miles before the change over. :shades:
  • carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    Averaging just under 18 MPG on our AWD Veracruz Limited. Highway trips usually achieve low 20's. Decent but I was expecting a little more on average. At least it's achieved on regular fuel.
    When you say "highway trips" how close to 65 mph to you cruise? Anything over that will reduce mileage, so the low 20's at high speeds with AWD isn't that bad.
    Check you tire pressure also, increasing the:psi (but not over-inflation) will also help mileage, particularly on the highway. :shades:
  • lmf4159lmf4159 Member Posts: 6
    I am only getting 15.6 on the average for the past 10 fill ups. It is an 08 FWD that I have had for 2/3 months. My average speed is 25 due to driving mainly around town with lots of stop and go traffic. I go for my first oil change soon as I have just under 3000 miles. My tires are inflated to 35. Does anyone else have such low MPG. I feel like I drive pretty evenly with a light foot. Any suggestions to improve MPG would be appreciated. Regarding oil, should I request a specific kind and not go with synthetic until 7500?
  • jbettenjbetten Member Posts: 8
    I feel your pain. My wife drives mostly in town with lots of stop and go (picking up - dropping off kids). We're are getting between 13 - 15 MPG after about 600 miles. I know its really new, so there may be a bit of loosening needed in the engine. She if not "light footed" at all (I keep nagging - though), so this doesn't surprise me, but I'm sure we we were getting 16 - 18 MPG in our Honda Oddyssy. It seems that the first gear in the VC is rather low, not suprising with 6 gears to go through, but this doesn't help MPG any. This will rev up the engine quickly for speed, but also suck gas, if abused. Our tire are also at 35 PSI, which I think is good for better MPG. I wouldn't go higher though. I don't feel that the oil type will affect MPG much, but I personally wouldn't switch to syn before 10K miles. If you do, then extend your oil change interval accordingly (5K - 6K miles). Syn oil is good for this interval unless you do REALLY hard driving / temp conditions. As far as geting better MPG, you could use the "manual" shift mode and start out in gear 2 from a stop, and shift more quickly than auto mode would (lower RPM). This would take practice, especially getting used to shifting the AUTO-manual! But the point is that shifting at lower RPM will use less gas. Accerate slowly from stops and coast (long before you ge to a red light) like you are on a mission to save gas! This is about all you can do with a 4 - 5K lb car with a big engine to save gas. The best thing to do is drive in the 45 - 55 MPH range with minimal changes in speed. Doing this consistantly will get 20+ MPG. Good luck and enjoy! :)
    All of lmf4159's comments were spot on. Keep the tire pressure up over 35 psi and go easy on the gas is the best action for city economy. I too don't know if synthetic will help with city gas mileage, but it will help the longevity of your engine. Since Hyundai allows 7,500 mile oil changes, it makes sense if your not driving in dusty or salty air. It will help on highway trips too. This is a good time to add that Hyundai should make a Hybrid - they are very efficient for city driving and make sense if that is what to predominantly do.
    Final question - has anyone tried an air filter upgrade, or a more advanced air intake system? Some by Voilant, K&N, etc. say that they can inmorve both power and economy. :shades:
  • posystmposystm Member Posts: 34
    K&N now has an air filter for the VC.

I have 13,000 on my 07 VC SE FWD, I have never reset the MPG on the computer, it shows 17.8 MPG. That is with 50% highway, 25% suburban, 25% New York City(Stop and crawl). I think the MPG has stabilized, and now am going to try the K&N air filter to see if that helps any. At this point price wise for gas, a 5% increase would be nice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A typical interval for an air filter change is 15,000 miles. It'd be nice to see you put a paper filter on for a few thousand miles and compare that mpg to an oiled filter.

Otherwise skeptics like me will just figure any new filter is going to help your mileage.
    Good point Steve. Im bringing it in for the 15k and to resurface my rotors (AGAIN) in a week or so, i'll try it out for 3k mi, then try the K & N.
    I agree, 15K is a good time to change, but you said you have not reset your odometer since new. It would be best to reset now and get a tankfull or two of readings under your current normal driving conditions with the old air filter. Then with the new paper one. And, finally with the K&N. Taking readings at each fillup is the best comparison, but you can also do the calculations.
    I'm on my 3hd tank since changing to synthethic and have consistently experienced a 1 - 1.5 mpg increase (or about 4-5%). Again, most of my driving is on rural and suburban roads at 50 to 60 mph. Only about 10% in light city traffic.
    We're going a a major road trip this Summer and I intend to keep good records. Will give a full report on Car top luggage, Highway and mountain driving in the Fall. :shades:
  • rmhockmanrmhockman Member Posts: 18
    I can't imagine why you would be turning the rotors so soon....I have aver 14000 on my 2007 and the rotors are in perfect condition, however I don't really drive too much in city traffic....perhaps you don't use the gears to slow down in your daily commute.

This machine has an exceptionally smooth transmission therefore I use the manual mode on a regular basis to hold it back on long steep hills, thus the brakes are spared constant use.

As far as using a different air filter I am really not certain you can expect any spectacular results, however I would certainly be interested in your experience..

Please keep us posted regarding if there are any real performance gains once you install the new air filter.

.... R M H
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I just got back from a 3,400 mi. road trip out west. Wisconsin to Utah. Best mileage we got was 27 mpg with a tail wind on the way out. Worst was 24.9 coming back, into a head wind. This was accomplished going the speed limit, generally around 65 mph and using only non-ethanol gas. Excellent ride. Very comfortable. No problems with the trip, at all. The worst tankful was around 23 mpg but I suspect that fuel was mislabeled and I wound up putting the ethanol garbage in unknowingly. It is interesting that in the biggest corn growing states, Iowa and Nebraska, you get a choice of whether to buy the inferior fuel but here in good old Badgerland we are forced to use only ethanol. No options. (Somebody is obviously getting some $$$ under the table around here.) But that's another subject for another discussion board. 24K mi. on the vehicle now and it's still a great car. No complaints.
    Your experience is about the same as I have been seeing while driving at reasonable speeds...although I have seen up to an indicated 30mpg at a steady 65 or so mph and a following wind. I recently switched to a synthetic oil (Syntec 5/30) at approx.10,000 miles and noticed a tad more power along with an increase in fuel mileage of at least 1 and perhaps 2 mpg!!!.

My tires are inflated to 35 psi all around and of course this helps somewhat with fuel efficiency, tire life and overall handling.

This machine is so smooth and quiet it's kind of boring to drive. The engine and transmission are smoother than in my last Cadillac STS.

Great piece of equipment...Keep it up Hyundai...

R M H
    I had to have the rotors resurfaced when I bought the car, stopping firmly at any speed above 40mph, you would feel a pulsing coming from the front. I gave the car 3k mile to see if it was just the pads and rotors needed seating. The dealer resurfaced the rotors and all was fine, but now the pulsing is back. I read somewhere that low quality pads will leave deposits on the rotors causing this problem, so I will ask them to also replace the pads.

Just recieved the KN filter, but will try the reg air filter first along with some manual recording of MPG.
  • doctorstidoctorsti Member Posts: 9
    So far 3100 miles and have kept the trip computer going the whole time, got 16.9 mpg total. Driving has been primarily city 50mph or less. Three days per week commute 120 highway miles, some stop and go. We expected 18 or so but I suppose 17 isn't too bad. I am intrigued by the the increase in mpg with the synthetic. I just went and bought 15 qts of regular 5w-30 for a few changes but I suppose I can just use that for my car and pick up some synthetic for the veracruz. Does Hyundai recommend synthetic?
  • lmf4159lmf4159 Member Posts: 6
    I recently took my VC in for it's first oil change and asked about synthetic oil. The service manager told me the extra cost would be more than the 1 or 2 MPG's we might gain. He did the math based on 12K miles a year and it made sense to me. With 100K mile warranty, it is also not necessary for engine purposes. That was his opinion.
    Our locale just switched to Ethanol 10% at all stations. I'm on the first tank so it will be interesting to see how the mileage suffers. Interestingly enough, the two largest corn producing states, Iowa and Nebraska, give you the option of ethanol or pure gasoline. Here in the Peoples Republic of Wisconsin we get no such option. What a bunch of crapola.
    Your right doctorsti - synthetic oil is expensive, but.... The Valvolene synthetic I buy at Walmat costs about $18 for 5 qts. That's about $3.60 a qt. which is about twice the cost of coventional oil. Also, after my first two conventional oil changes at 3,000 mi. and 7,500 mi., I switched to the synthetic and a change interval of 7,500 mi. (which is OK with Hyundai). Did your service manager recommend continued 3,000 mi. oil changes? If so, that's why the cost numbers didn't work.

The fact that you can go longer between oil changes makes that cost alone about at break even. Then there are the benefits of synthetic over conventional. Improved gas mileage is only one. A better running and longer life engine really adds value to your vehicle. This is particularly true if you intend to keep it beyond 100,000 miles or just don't want warranty hassles if there are engine problems. The document called "The Motor Oil Bible" (check it out online) goes into great detail describing the benefits of synthetic oil and does a comprehensive analysis of most available oils (conventional, blends and full synthethic) so you can do an intelegent job of selecting what's right for you.

PS: My last tank averaged 25 mpg. :shades: ">
    Motor oil is a lot better than it used to be. I change the oil on my van every 7,500 miles (or longer) with plain ol' "dead dino" and I'm at 125,000 miles on it so if it dies now, I guess I'm happy.

I bet the Hyundai's sold in Europe have a 10,000 mile factory recommended interval, since that seems to be the norm over there. Anyone from the EU know?

Lots more in the Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2 discussion.
    Steve, or anyone else interested, try this source for the mother load of motor oil info: motoroilbible.com/
    Those sites are great if you are a oil change hobbyist. At least he cites some SAE stuff.

I do my own oil changes but it's a chore for me, not something I look forward too. I get what's on sale at NAPA or Wal-Mart and go by the manufacturer recommendation (frequently sliding a 1,000 miles or more, especially if the weather is chilly). I drive them forever but I don't care to spend the $20 on an oil analysis either - it's just a daily driver, not a F1 racecar.

My cars cranked fine in Anchorage living outside for 20 winters too, so I don't much buy into the easier start claims of synthetic either. If it's that cold, use a block heater.

Ah, but "we" digress (ok, me :P ) - anyone checking their mpg?
    On my first full tank of Ethanol (now mandated in our area) I'm down to 18.8 vs. the 20.9 on real gasoline. (These are all city driving figures. Haven't done the highway calc yet.) Bummer!
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Does the ethanol cost 10% less? If so, then you are breaking even.
    Nope, it's the same price. However, I did a recent highway run of about 200 mi. and got around 27 mpg. It pays to go the speed limit.
  • fpostadanfpostadan Member Posts: 22
    Hi I just got my Veracruz 08 AWD.

When can I expect to see the true MPG for Highway only?

When can I expct to see the true MPG for City only?

If I am missing the point on this, how do I gauge this feature. I have set the Trip to see AVG MPG.

I driven so far (about 1 - 1 1/hr drive) I see the MPG was mainly at16.9 MPG mainly HWY Driving. I forgot if this this figure is both ways or one direction, but definetly clockin at over 15 MPG for one direction. This was only two days after I finally got the vehicle. Was this a a good move on my part since I am only "breaking in the vehicle", so to speak. I am hoping to not drive at a constant speed that is all I can do, I love the outdoors.
  • fpostadanfpostadan Member Posts: 22
    I read that the pulsing that you are feeling is normal because of the ESC.
    No, I know what ESC feels like. The dealer once again had to resurface the rotors in the front. Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is I will demand (beg) for new rotors and pads.
  • jmaulsbyjmaulsby Member Posts: 54
    My 07 started at around 17 mpg in 60/40 highway to city driving. It steadily climbed after the first month or so. Most of my driving is highway speed and I consistantly average 20.5 mpg. The trip computer mpg can be as close to accurate as 0.5 mpg to high and as much as 3 mpg to high. I checked my mpg by hand for at least six months. I use the average mpg to keep my lead foot off the accelerator. I have noticed that if I am running errands with a lot of stopping and starting, the trip computer shows as low as 13 - 14 mpg.
  • perdido2keyperdido2key Member Posts: 28
    One thing to keep in mind if you experience rotor shimmy or warping is the dealer shop or anywhere else that removes and replaces the wheels. This could be for some unrelated service / repair that requires the wheel to be removed.
    All shops even the dealers use air impact wrenches. They run the torque on the wrench ALL THE WAY up in order to remove the very hard to get off lug nuts.
    When they replace your wheel the high torque air wrench warps the rotors.
    Not sure what the torque spec is on the VC (guess around 70 to 80 Ft lbs)
    Air wrenches go up to 125+.
    I always ask tire folks to sung the nuts up with a four way hand wrench then I torque to spec when I get home.
    Since we cannot see the work performed anymore no one knows what they do, plus dealers works on numerous car makes in one shop.
    As promissed, here's the results of my Summer trip to Maine : The colums are date / miles / gallon / calc. mpg / computer mpg and average speed.
    8/05 237.0 9.27 25.60 24.7 47 8/07 201.9 9.19 22.00 24.3 33 8/13 329.5 13.81 23.88 24.0 35 8/15 181.6 7.90 22.99 23.8 33 8/17 329.1 14.28 23.05 23.2 39 8/25 346.5 15.17 22.85 22.9 32 8/28 265.7 11.66 22.79 23.5 34
    8/31 320.1 13.82 23.16 24.3 44 9/12 302.2 13.21 22.87 23.4 35 9/21 303.7 12.40 24.48 24.9 56 9/22 460.5 18.16 25.36 25.6 50 So there you have it! Very respectful mileage for a 4,200# vehicle. There was really no city driving, but the lower average sppeds reflect small towns and the hilly smaller roads of Maine. The last two tankfulls were after the 15,000 mile oil change (synthetic) and all highway driving on the trip home. While I didn't note which gas had ethanol, it generally reduced mileage by 1-2 mpg. Ther ought to be a law!
    After reading numerous posts I am convinced a lot of drivers must be NASCAR fans as they have a tendency to run at excessive speeds and most always with the AC engaged, no wonder there are low mileage reports. I wonder how many check their tire pressures on a regular basis or have a heavy foot while accelerating?

You guys better find some 4 cylinder wonder for your needs, and then you may get 20 MPG.

R M H
    Sorry, I tried to put my Summer mileage info into columns so it would be easy to read - but it didn't come out that way on this web site.
    As a summary - I did no city driving, only highway, state roads some back roads and some small town sightseeing. Using synthetic oil (which I change at 7,500 mile intervals), 37 - 38 psi tire pressure and an easy foot on the accelerator, I averaged 23.74 mpg at an average 33 mph. The best tankfull was a calculated 25.36 mpg on the trip home after an oil change, but fully loaded with our camping gear and the AC running. Not bad!
    I agree with you on the good gas mileage. I average 23 MPG in highway mileage and 20.5 MPG driving to and from work in N. TX. I use the cruise control every chance I get and also use a light foot on the accelerator. However, on the rare occasions when I am driving in town running errands with stop and go, the mileage drops to 15 MPG. In my experience with the Veracruz, running the A/C does not change my MPG more than 1 - 1.5 MPG at the most.
    With 31K mi. on the vehicle I still get 24-25hwy and 20 city consistently. It's simply been a great vehicle all around. Folks that ride with me who haven't been exposes to a VC before always ask "what kind of vehicle is this?" in amazement at the build quality and quietness. Had mine since 7/1/07. Still love it.
  • ppborcebppborceb Member Posts: 61
    I would like to have those of you who are nice enough to share your real-life mpg experiences with us, please indicated whether your vehicle is FWD or AWD, because AWD is a heavier vehicle and this could be the reason for the swing in mileage, not just city vs highway or a combination of city & highway.

This would be very helpfull information in your reports going forward.
  • showbizkshowbizk Member Posts: 2
    2008 AWD Best I can do for a tank has been 22+ I am extremely disappointed, Expected 20-26 (trip 26, obviously). Does anyone know if this vehicle has deceleration fuel cut-off (DFCO)? It doesnt appear to,,,
  • showbizkshowbizk Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Mr. Hockman. We took delivery of our 08 AWD at the end of April this year. We have had exactly the same pulsing of brakes from higher speed stops, e.g., exiting a freeway ramp, braking from 45 or so to a stop. Right now, about 6300 miles on the car, and we've taken one long trip (OH-Myrtle Beach and return). Gas mileage sucks as far as I'm concerned; I expected on trips to get nearer 25 than 20. So far, my overall is just under 20, but the trend is higher and I hope to consistently see 20+ soon (computed). I am also changing to Mobil 1 0-20 if Hyundai Service doesn't object. It does concern me that you stated your pusling returned shortly after the re-surfacing of the rotors. Have you had the pads replaced, and if so, has the pulsing returned?
    I should say that overall, we really love this vehicle.
    I'm not sure why you are "extremely" disappointed. Your expectations are both above EPA estimates. In my experience, these estimates are usually very close to reality. This is a BIG, heavy vehicle, especially with AWD. I think 22-23 on the highway is all you should be expecting. Heck, this is what new '09 Pilot owners will be experiencing and that is with Honda's cylinder deactivation system.
  • broadswordbroadsword Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any idea why there is virtually no marketing of the Vera Cruz? I remember a couple of years ago the really effective commercial where the lady mistakes the VC for her Lexus - it got me to the dealership, and we ended up buying. The wife and I are very happy with the VC, but find it odd that we never see it advertised ANYWHERE! I see ads on TV all the time for the Santa Fe, but never the Vera Cruz - what's up???
    I consistently get 24-25 on the highway when I go the speed limit. I have a 2007 GLS AWD. It used to be a bit better but then they mandated 10% ethanol in our area and the mileage dropped. Try a tank just doing exactly the speed limit on the highway. You'll be surprised at the impact it has.
    I raised the same question exactly 1 year ago on this forum (check page #2- "Hyundai needs a new marketing department"). It's like the vehicle doesn't even exist in Hyundai's lineup. It was like that a year ago and things haven't changed.
    I have a 2007 FWD with 20,000 miles. I seldom experience stop and go in my North TX commute, but when I do MPG drops to 15. My daily commute ranges from 20 mph to 60 mph and my mileage is 21 MPG. On long highway stretches at 60 MPH I get 24 MPG. All North TX gas has 10% ethanol.

I never understood the lack of advertising either. Hyundai had a hidden agenda with the Veracruz and apparently not concerned about widespread advertising. The sales figures per month have always been low. As owners, we drive one of the "rarest" vehicles on the road today!
  • broadswordbroadsword Member Posts: 3
    Not sure whether to be concerned or flattered - safety in numbers and all. It does make me a bit worried about trade in value and overall value retention. My wife loves it and wouldn't trade it for a Lexus or a Mazda 9 - looked at both. She has a lot of local driving (hill country) - up and down hills, stop and go, and gets 20mpg. Highway = 22-24. I tend to be a little more heavy footed and am doing good to get 19-20 highway; of course, that's at 80-90mph, but all on regular. Ever notice a difference running premium?

One little improvement I would recommend on the VC is a warning that the rear hatch is open. I carelessly backed out of the garage (almost) with it open and right into the open garage door - luckily only minor damage, but major damage to the ego.
    Since the 2nd resurfacing of the rotors at around 15k, the pulsation has not returned (now at 23k), and no the pads were never replaced.

Even when driving with a light foot, I can't seem to get above 22 mpg (SE FWD). So now I live with 18-19 mpg and drive normally, especially since gas is now half price now :)
  • indysabreindysabre Member Posts: 42
    Do most of you run regular or premium gas?

Just got a new 2008 FWD limited. Manual says run at least 87 octane or use 91 octane for improved performance.

I had a 2003 Honda Accord that ran fine on regular but was known to get 10 more HP on premium. I ran regular for 60,000 miles with no trouble at all.

I think we are just going to run regular but wanted to check in for some additional info.

We appear to be getting about 15 in city driving now.

We will probably change to Synthetic 5-30 at the first or second oil change. In my other cars this seems to increase MPG by 3-6%.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    The little known fact about the VC is it is designed to run on 87, but can adapt itself to run on 93, which means it can increase HP by retuning the EMC for the higher Octane, putting the engine on par with the one in the Lexus. Most cars cannot do that, they are designed to run on either 87 octane, or 91,2,3 octane. The technology is similar to flex fuel cars, they detect the type of fuel and setup the EMC accordingly. However, the VC is not a Flex fuel, do not run E85 in it or you will damage a lot of parts.

So far after 9200 miles and nearly a year of driving, I see ~18 daily mixed highway/city, and 24 highway. The Highway for me is your typical two lane 55MPH road with stop signs, which is why the mileage is low, but when I get on the tollway and can hold a steady 65MPH, I see it jump to 24 MPG. I am pleased with the MPG it gets, far better than the Exploder I had which got 13-17, never did I get above 18 in it, no matter how I drove it.
  • bouki1bouki1 Member Posts: 3
    I live in the bronx, and am usually in stop and go traffic, I love the car but the mileage is much worse then expected -- I am averaging around 12-13. Any thoughts on how I can improve?
  • bouki1bouki1 Member Posts: 3
    I forgot to mention that I drive a 2008 V with FWD and I have 1268 miles on it so far, I bought it February 1st.
    While the VC is a comfort in the city (ride,room, weight, safety, etc), it does not get great mileage in city driving. The best advice I can offer is to go easy on the throttle - accelerate slowly and coast to stops as much as traffic will allow. It's the sudden acceleration that sucks fuel due to the cars weight. Also, increase tire pressure - I reccommed 36-38 psi cold (max for the Michelens is 44 psi, but that will give a harsh ride). This will help both the city and on highway mileage. Finally, if you do a lot of stop and go, that puts a lot of wear on an engine, try using synthethic oil after your 1st or 2nd regular oil change. Your can extend oil change intervals ( try 5 to 6,000mi ) with synthetic so the cost should break about even for better protection.