Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• quantifirequantifire Member Posts: 21
    Hey man, the deal you quote for the Bay Area is pretty standard for what I've been quoted in Sacramento/Davis. Bigger discounts are available on the higher end NAH. A combined discount of $6,000 including $3,750 rebate and discount to invoice of about $2,250 is where everybody's at right now. Don't forget you also get the federal tax credit of 2,350 and a deduction for sales taxes.
    If you're including the cash for clunkers rebate, then a total discount of 10K isn't that great. Folks are getting 6,000 combined savings (dealer discount, 3,250 rebate, and 500 rebate), so if you add the cash for clunkers, you'd be at a discount of 10,500. Keep in mind on top of this there is also a tax credit of 2350 and deduction for sales taxes. Everything together you could get 15,000 off of this car when all is said and done. It's a pretty nice car to get at half-off.
  • solansolan Member Posts: 3
    Hello quanfire ,
    When you mean discount to invoice of 2250 , do you mean ""invoice price - 2250 "" OR the discount on the MSRP so that "MSRP -2250 ~ invoice " where ~ is almost equal to sign . In my case it is the latter one . if it is discount on invoice , it should go much below.
    I did mean the latter one, MSRP minus 2,250 equals approx invoice, minus 3750 in rebates for a total of roughly 6K off. Haven't seen anybody really going under invoice, except for loaded up units with MSRP of 34K.
  • meanboy2005meanboy2005 Member Posts: 24
    We purchased the base NAH in June 09 for 23,749 before the rebate. Is that below invoice? After the rebate it was 19,999 plus tax. OTD price before the extended warranty was 22,541. Another poster was able to buy it for $500 less than we were able to.

Keep in mind that was in June 09, a month after May 09 sales were down over 40%. With the June sales figures a little higher it seems local dealers have been offering less discounts.
  • yorksladyyorkslady Member Posts: 6
    XAV, Thank you for your response. During 4th July weekend, I've called Nissan El Monte, the internet dept. They were rude when I told them I want to purchase the base NAH for 20,500 plus TTL. They were offering $6000 off MSRP, buy or take a hike...At the end I just got one base NAH (MSRP: $27,625) at Riverside Honda for $21,191 plus TTL. More than what I want to but they were nice to deal with. I was in and out in 1 1/2 hours, no BS. Anyway, I love the car...:) ;)
  • xavxav Member Posts: 23
    It may be harder to get a good deal now. They have that cash for clunckers thing that is probably going to boost sales. Dealerships are very hopeful about it. It sucks because except for polluters, nobody is going to get any of it.
    For the numbers, I negociated with OTD price from the start, so the only number I am aware of is $23,100. I can try to look into the papers if you want.

The model had 14 miles on it, was loaded with the convenience package and floor mats (nothing else).

I also got good financing (5.99 % from Nissan). Although that may seem high, note that the 2 credit unions where I applied refused to lend me anything.

My salesperson was Phil Barnes. I used the internet for negociations. I had to push hard though. He definitely used a lot of sales tactics (always trying to get me there now, offering expensive financing).. but that's business. What was great with him though is that he kept his promises and didn't try to up the price when we came in. I definitely appreciated that.

From what the dealership told me the only reason they agreed on this price is that they had to meet their monthly quota. So, target EOM.
    My car's MSRP is 28,755. My sales tax is 8.75 % and car registration is I believe 1.25 % (Orange County CA).

I got the Nissan $3,250 rebate. The rest came from the dealer. I paid $23,100 OTD + 5.99 % financing.

They had another car, which was I believe not loaded with anything but floor mats (same as the vehicle that you are quoting). The deal was $22,2k OTD.

I believe the cars price before tax and registration (but after fees) was $20,600 for mine and $19,700 for that other model.

Hope this helps
  • joe_lukemanjoe_lukeman Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday contracted with kelly nissan in MA for NAH. MSRP 27,650 with shipping. Will be paying 21,160 before trades and sales tax, registration fees and probably 244 paperwork fee.
    We are close to the end of the month. If you want the car, you should call/email your local dealers and give them an offer of $19,500 after fees but before taxes and registration. Don't let them fool you with their fees, include them in your price.

Tell them you have seen other people pay that price and don't see why you should spend 10 % more.

Most likely they will refuse, but some may call you back at the end of the month. Those are the ones who absolutely need to sell and you will be able to bargain with successfully.

You have nothing to lose.
  • nissanman2010nissanman2010 Member Posts: 8
    I paid $28000 on a MSRP of $34,705. take out $3250 Nissan Rebate, most dealers are matching that $3250 plus another $205. This hybrid had EVERYTHING that Altima hybrid comes with including moon roof deflector package. another dealer quoted $28665. Seems like they are not making a lot of money on these cars! both these dealerships are in Hartford area. :)
  • in_power2002in_power2002 Member Posts: 21
    I see new 2008 NAH still available at multiple dealers. Is thee any reason why not to get a 2008? I assume not much difference between 2008 and 2009?
  • themousethemouse Member Posts: 17
    What you guys think of this?

NAH w/ Connection Package and sunroof for $25,300 after rebate incentive. After Hybrid tax credit, it will come down to $22,950

4 year registration in NJ - $206
    Doc fee - $139
    Will Nissan offer a rebate for the 2008? If so, how much. What about the depreciation? It might be new but it's still a 2008 model.

The big question is there a reason not to buy a 2009 instead with the price reduction and incentives being offered?
  • in_power2002in_power2002 Member Posts: 21
    If you take a look at http://www.mossynissan.com you'll see that they have 15 2009s and 11 2008s. I'd imagine they want to sell the 2008s more than the 2009s? What will they do with the 2008s once the 2010s come out?

If a 2008 bought today will mechanically last as long as a 2009 and it's a few thousand less, it's something I'd consider. I'm the kind of person who keeps a car for 12 years and put 200K miles on them. Then I donate to PBS when it's worth $1000. If the 2008 with leather and navigation can be had for base 2009 pricing, that'll get me to take a look. My understanding from reading the forums is that a 2010 isn't going to be different from a 2007?
    08? I'd be very careful with a hybrid that hasn't been used for 1+ year. I doubt this is good for the battery
    We bought our NAH with an extended service contract that can be canceled for a full refund within sixty days. The catch is that the dealer has to cancel it and submit the paperwork to the warranty company. We are having a tough time canceling ours. The dealer is stalling for some reason, intentional or not, and we have not been able to get warranty canceled after repeated letters, e-mails, and phone calls. I have been assured that we will get a full refund even if it's past the sixty day period. Until I see some actions, it's all words from the F&I guy.

So if you are tempted to buy one and you aren't sure don't because you might run into this problem.
  • topspeedtopspeed Member Posts: 7
    Sorry to hear about the hassle they're putting you through meanbou2005.

We just bought a NAH w/ conv pkg yesterday and was offered the Gold service plan for $1100. Just wanted to know if that's in the ballpark.

We did not buy the service plan at signing of docs, and when we asked if we can add it later we were told that we can as long as it's before the first oil change service due at 3750 miles.

The price we paid was $5000 of MSRP. This particular dealership is offering $5000 of MSRP on all NAHs.

Compared to what SF Bay Area dealers are asking now (MSRP + $1950 markup before discount/rebate,) it was a decent deal.
    For those of you who purchased extended service/maintenance plans, what did you pay and any experience in using the them?

Are the Security Plus plan and Maintenance Plus plan different plans or same?
    I am considering a warranty later or a MBI depending what it covers. You mention gold but you didn't provide the specifics such as years of coverage, miles, and deductible. Without that it's hard to tell you if it's a good price or not.
  • thejeltzthejeltz Member Posts: 1
    Top,
    Can you let me know what dealership you got the 5K below MSRP? I assume this included the rebate?
    Thanks.
    Sorry, the gold plan offered at $1,100 was for 60 months/75,000 miles, Schedule 2-level = every 6 months or 7,500 miles.
    The dealership is Elk Grove Nissan.
    The salesperson said they were having a sale and all NAH were $5,000 off MSRP which included all the rebates.
    If you also have a clunker, which I did, then you get an additional $3,500 or $4,500 off.
  • chunglauchunglau Member Posts: 48
    I bought ours, a base model with floor-mats only, for $1286 below invoice in late July, in the South Bay. We had the clunkers deal also, but we negotiated the price before the program went live on July 24. Our price before the $3250 Nissan rebate was $24495.

Note that the Nissan rebate is taxable. You pay the tax on the amount before the Nissan rebate, and then they give you the rebate as a credit. The C4C rebate, however, is subtracted from the sales price before tax is computed, so that is a great deal.
    The link is for the Service + Plus program which covers problems with the car.
    I was offered the Maintenance+Plus program which covers scheduled oil changes, minor and major inspections, cabin filter changes and tires failure etc.
    I was thinking these need to be done anyway in the future to maintain factory warranty so why not prepay and buy at a discount?
    I confused service plan with service contract. I don't know if that's a good deal or not.
    We received the check a couple of days ago. I am not sure if my visit to the dealership made a difference or not. I did send a certified letter to him and his GM covering our conversation. And I included the paper trail to the GM in my letter. The day after I did that I received a lot of attention. They might have been waiting until the last day to maximize the cash flow. I guess I'll never know.
    Here's what the gold preferred plan covers. The gold preferred covers something every 3750 miles. With the gold preferred tires are only covered for the first three years. You can buy the gold preferred up until you have 7,500 miles on the odometer.

http://nissanwarrantystore.com/month-75000-mile-maintenance-coverage-p-836.html?- - osCsid=18152d151f32b5efc4b7158095ceb15e

Cost is $1505 right now.

http://nissanwarrantystore.com/maintenanceplus-c-40.html?page=2&sort=2a&osCsid=1- 8152d151f32b5efc4b7158095ceb15e
  • sleeper_01sleeper_01 Member Posts: 1
    Paid $20,500 OTD for a 2009 base model (no options) NAH using the CARS program. Good deal or not?
    That dumb program "cash for clunkers" has finally ended. More likely than anything September and October sales are going to be an absolute disaster.

I would definitely recommend to anyone willing to buy the NAH to wait end of September or October and offer $9,000 below MSRP. Buying right now would be a terrible mistake as all dealers have already met their goals for the month.
  • ram5014ram5014 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a new 09 NAH for $23,805 out the door. It has a conv pkg, and moonroof (after market included). This included registration and license until 2013. My next move is to apply for the state tax credit of $1500, and the fed. tax credit of $3250. This was near Portland, OR. No sales tax and cheap car registrations. I was looking for a regular Altima before cash for clunkers, but my trade in was a '97 Corolla and there didn't seem like any deals out there at that time. After clunkers ran out a few weeks ago I saw an ad for the Altima Hybrid plus the tax credits. Something I couldn't pass up.

Are the maintenance contracts worth it? I do most all my work on my cars as far as oil change, and tire rotation. The sales guys says they charge over $100 just for an oil change, is that true?
    You might have transposed the Federal Tax credit because it's $2350 not $3250.00.

I paid less than $20 for an oil change at Firestone. I didn't get full synthetic oil but 5-30 which is acceptable. This was it's first oil change and I haven't seen a decrease in gas mileage. The next oil change will likely be at the dealer because they have some things that need to be checked unless I take it to a garage that specializes in hybrids.
  • kalekale Member Posts: 15
    Firestone, Monroe, Jiffy Lube theya re all fine as long as you get the oil change done at a REGULAR interval of 3000 miles or LESS. They use inferior filters and these filter either hold too much oil back or let too much go thru including the impurities. Nissan Filters are the best (any OEM for that matter). I ahve been using Monroe/ Midas on my 05 Pathfinder and had no issues. I took the maintenance program thru nissan as it came with Free oil changes for life from teh Dealer, who is not too far out of the way for me. :surprise: :shades:
  • ecr72ecr72 Member Posts: 9
    I'm sorry, but the 3,000 miles or less, opps I mean LESS, is just not true. The manufacturer doesn't even recommend that frequency anymore. Check your maintenance schedule and follow that. Don't go by what a dealer's service center or mass marketing from oil change centers (Jiffy Lube) recommend.

kale - Since you paid for it up front with the maintenance program, you might as well take it in as often as they'll allow.

For everyone else, follow the maintenance schedule that came with the car. On my 2008, it's 3,750 miles for schedule one (more short trips, less highway) and 7,500 miles for schedule 2 (more highway, less short trips). There are some other guidelines so... check your maintenance schedule.

My advice to the average driver is to go with Mobile One 0W-20 synthetic and Schedule 2, the 7,500 mile interval.
  • langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    3,750 miles....but I don't get my oil changed even that frequently. I do about 7,000 miles (using synthetic though).
  • timmystimmys Member Posts: 2
    "For those of you who purchased extended service/maintenance plans, what did you pay and any experience in using the them? "

I bought a 7 year 100k mile Gold preferred plan from vadennissanwarranty.com No deductible for $1935 My 09 altima hybrid had 1250 miles on it when I bought it. I called in to get a discount from their posted rates. Very friendly people.

Haven't had to use it yet. Hope I never do. I hate driving some vehicle that is not mine.

"Are the Security Plus plan and Maintenance Plus plan different plans or same?"

Different. According to VadenNissanWarranty.com

Nissan Maintenance+Plus Coverage

Nissan Maintenance+Plus is an easy and affordable solution to maintain your Nissan. Nissan recommends a regular scheduled maintenance be performed to prevent excessive wear and tear. We have a product that can deliver excellent service and long-term peace of mind. Maintenance+Plus provides four different service plans with five time and mileage options designed to fit a variety of personal driving habits.

Nissan Security+Plus Gold Warranty Coverage

Nissan Security+Plus Gold coverage extends to 1,816 components of your Nissan vehicle's mechanical performance. Choose Gold Preferred and this coverage increases to 1,954 components.
    I am still on the fence re; extended service contract and the maintenance+plus contract but need to decide soon as the mileage is approaching 3600k.

It seeems like a decent deal w/ maintenance+plus contract since the oil changes and minor/major inspections need to be done anyway, at least if they were done at a Nissan dealership, it would be a savings over the long run.

But then again I do most of the maintenance on my other cars (purchased used) and the only issue would be keeping the new car factory warranty valid if I do all the maintenance at home.

As far as the extended service warranty, I guesss it's an insurance against something going wrong after the factory warranty runs out. If this car was not a hybrid I would definitely not get the extended wrnty, but don't know a thing about the hybrid system.

Sorry for rambling...
  • timmystimmys Member Posts: 2
    "Eligibility for a Nissan Maintenance+Plus plan depends on the vehicle you own. You are eligible for the New vehicle maintenance plans Gold Preferred, Gold and Silver only if your New Nissan has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer or you purchased your Nissan vehicle New within the last 6 months." taken from http://www.vadennissanwarranty.com/nissan-extended-warranty-eligibility.html

Looks like I am not eligible for much on the Nissan maintenance plus side of the fence. Now that you chimed in, you got me thinkin about the cost savings over time. I can however get the Bronze plan which covers my essentials - oil change, oil filter and tire rotations. Just no inspections like that in Silver. Guess I snoozed and lost on that deal.

I think I may call them back and see what I can get 5 years worth of coverage for. May make sense since I do my oil changes at the Nissan dealer anyhow.
  • gianni24gianni24 Member Posts: 2
    Hey All,

I bought a fully loaded '09 Altima Hybrid on 10/9/09 which stickered for $34,900; I paid $28,725 before taxes, licenses and fees. I am in union county NJ. That was the Edmunds TMV and what I shot for. However, when the sales manager wrote up the contract I saw that he included $4500 in rebates instead of the $3500 Edmunds had in the TMV.

Ever since I walked out of the dealership I have been feeling like I got taken for a little ride. At a minimum, I paid $70 more in taxes (since rebates are taxable). But, I am also feeling like there was $1000 more wiggle room that I did not take advantage of. Out the door from the dealiership I eneded up paying $31,637.15. with the Tax incentive I am solidly under 30k.

what do you guys think? Should I return the car (I have until tomorrow) or be happy with the deal I got?

BTW - Valuable lessons learned;

1. ask friends and family what dealerships they like for buying whatever make you decide on. after i closed my deal i found out that a nissan dealership not to far away offered free oil changes and loaner cars for life on cars purchased from them.

2. take back control. ask the dealer what the rebates and incentives are available when you sit down. then you right down your numbers and present your numbers to them. i can not tolerate the "let me go ask" process. I need to buy another car in about a month. I am actually contemplating showing up with a cashiers check for the exact amount i am willing to pay out the door so that i can cut down on the BS.

3. check the dealer's website before going to see if they have any special incentives. the dealership i bought from was offering a $250 gas card but i needed to present the coupon upon walking into the dealership. a scam i am sure, but i feel like i still missed out.
  • primemover_nahprimemover_nah Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a fully loaded 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid for $27,320 in the SF/Bay Area.

I used the internet (edmunds) for my purchase and am satisfied w/ the process. I negotiated remotely with several dealers in my area and nailed it down to a 1 dealer w/ the best price.

After we finalized the price, I asked for the "out the door" (OTD) price and prepared my own spreadsheet. When I got to the dealer I had my spreadsheets, my e-mails confirming the negotiated price and stating the out the door price. I made it very clear that "any" deviation from the purchase price and OTD amount will NOT close the deal.

Here are the final numbers:

Dealer Price: $32,075.00 (Invoice)
    Less Rebates: $4,500
    Less Dealer Incentive: $255
    Purchase Price: $27,320
    Add: Taxes + Reg: $3,625
    Out the Door Price: $30,945.00
    Financed w/ Nissan @ 4.34% (60 mo. term)

Color: Dark Slate
    Packages: Convenience, Connection, Technology, Kick Plate, Moon Roof (fully loaded)

Regards,
    -Prime
  • vicenzavicenza Member Posts: 52
    Looking at a 2009 loaded Altima Hybrid which I want to lease for 24 months with 18k miles per year (will Nissan allow that?) in California. What's the current money factor rate using a Tier 0 or Tier 1 and what's the residual value for that car for that many miles and term. :confuse:
    FYI, if you lease the car you won't be eligible for the Federal Tax Credit(assuming that you were eligible).
    How do you know if you are eligible for the tax credit?
    "The credit is available only to the original purchaser of a new qualifying vehicle. If the qualifying vehicle is leased the credit is available only to the leasing company."

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=107766,00.html

You should talk to an accountant to see if you are eligible for the tax credit. I believe those subjected to ATM will lose some if not all of the credit.
    Car Man I'm looking at a 2009 loaded Altima Hybrid which I want to lease for 24 months with 18k miles per year (will Nissan allow that?) in California. What's the current money factor rate using a Tier 0 or Tier 1 and what's the residual value for that car for that many miles and term.

Also, do you have any of the same info available for a 2010 loaded with an MSRP of $35k? :)
  • ichiro51ichiro51 Member Posts: 4
    Owner of 09 precision Grey NHA, fully loaded! Deal of the century!
    MSRP: $34,975

Final sold price: $31,380 - $800.00 below invoice.
    CA Sales Tax $ 2356 - Tax deduction
    Official fees $ 456.
    -----------------
    $ 34192
    Cars CFC $ -4500
    Nissan Rebates $ -3250
    Hybrid tax credit$ -2350
    CA Sales Tax $ -2356 approx deduction
    --------------------
    $ 21,736

Thank you President Obama! I finally got rid of my Dodge Caravan for the full Cash for clunkers credit.
  • nissanman2010nissanman2010 Member Posts: 8
    Okay, Read this POST with a caution. the writer has double dipped on the tax credit part. One is a federal credit and the other one is sales tax on the state return. NOT the same credit. Although Overall a Good Proce Paid, not an unusual situation I must say :surprise:
  • ecr72ecr72 Member Posts: 9
    One more thing. I'm pretty sure the $4,500 CFC is considered income and you'll have to pay tax on that.

Yes, it's still a good price but please direct your thanks toward your fellow tax payers for the CFC, Hybrid and State Sales Tax Rebates.