Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE Steering and Suspension Problems

2»

Comments

• sadvueowner_1sadvueowner_1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi tlsaylor 79,
    I called GM and asked if my car was a lemon and they said no ! If it was would they tell me.. Think not ! being they are no longer in business.. They have replaced just about everything on the front end of My 2008 vue trying to. I believe their is a defect and GM know what it is but refuse to admit to the issue and recall the damn car. Also, My car came from new mexico???? and I'm not sure if cold weather would affect the car being that's where it came from. Good Luck !!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    tinas722,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me directly with your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into your concerns further. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • diablo21diablo21 Member Posts: 1
    As I was driving down the road coming to a stop light to make a turn the car lost power nshut off
  • tyrogirltyrogirl Member Posts: 1
    My son's 2004 Saturn Vue has this same problem...is it safe to drive like that? No one seems to be able to find out exactly what it is and how to fix it. It has been rattling ever since he bought it and just seems to get worst. Was there a recall for the steering column that he missed?
  • itsmeitsmeitsmeitsme Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Saturn Vue FWD V6, at 85,000 both front wheel bearings went out. I now have 95,000 miles and have replaced both front wheel bearings twice and it sounds like one of them is going again. I did one side and shop did the other, I bought Moog and they were higher grade bearings versus the cheapest.

At this point I feel that the bearing are the weakest link but something else is causing the issue. Shortly after the original bearings went I put new tires on and had a 4 wheel alignment. The installer did not note any type of suspension problem and I'm sure they would have liked to sell me parts but apparently what ever it is, is not obviously worn out.

Thanks in advance.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning itsmeitsme,

Are you working with a GM dealership on this, or an independent shop? If it's the former, we're happy to check into this further with the service department should you be interested. If you're working with an independent that's great too!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • itsmeitsmeitsmeitsme Member Posts: 2
    Working with an independent shop.
  • gm_nightmaregm_nightmare Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I am soooo fed up with GM!!! I have a 2007 Saturn Vue, and have been having trouble with it since it was about a year old!!

The biggest, and most consistently re-occurring problem is with the accelerator pedal position sensor. While driving in traffic, all of a sudden the "decreased power" indicator light comes on, along with the "check engine" light, and the car slows to about 2 miles an hour, and will not respond when the accelerator pedal is pressed. This is horribly dangerous, and several times I have had to pull off the highway while semis rush around me!!!!

The first time it happened was at 23,800 miles and was still under warranty, so the dealer replaced the sensor at no charge.
    The 2nd time it happened was at around 42,500 miles, about a year later, and still under warranty, so again, the dealer replaced the sensor at no charge. At that time, though, the dealer thought it might have something to do with the emissions system wiring. So, they pulled all the wires out of the engine housing and checked and replaced every one. Still they could not find the cause of the problem. BUT, they did not put the wires back in the housing like they were. And, all the wires were now white, with little markers on each wire, telling what each wire was for. Also, they drilled a hole in the bottom of the car under the floor board, and ran the wire that goes to the pedal, through that hole. When a mechanic friend of mine saw that, he couldn't believe they put it back together like that, with all the wires exposed to the elements, and any mouse that might want to chew on a wire. Upon his advice, I took it back to the dealer and expressed my dissatisfaction with this jacked up job. The dealer advised that what they did was, in fact, the "GM procedure - or the "GM fix". He said they put it back together exactly how GM advises in their procedure. So, I was left to drive down the road again, with no fix or no determination of what is causing this problem, and NOW, a jacked-up wiring job.
    Needless to say, the decreased power light and engine light came on again, about 2 years later. Now, of course, it was out of warranty, so I had to pay for a new pedal sensor. This then, was the third time this sensor was replaced!!
    Then, 10 months later, yep, it did it again!!! And once again, the 4th time, it was again replaced.
    And then again, only 1 month later, it did it again. And yet again, the 5th time, the sensor was again replaced.
    THEN, only 3 days after it was replaced, it did it again!!!!! At this point, my mechanic said I needed to get GM involved. This was about a month ago.

I called GM, and had the most unbelievable HELL of an experience. Basically, after 2 days of back and forth phone calls, they will do NOTHING for me!!!!
    I asked them if they would take this car back (I still owe$4000 on it) and give me $4000 towards a new GM vehicle. I told them this vehicle is NOT safe, but they did not even care! They told me to take it to the GM/Cadillac dealer who now services Saturns, for a diagnostic, but would not cover the cost of the diagnostic.
    ANYway, the dealer himself finally agreed to do the diagnostic at no charge, since he is the guy I bought the car from in the first place, and he did do the decent thing. BUT, after having the car a whole day, he could not duplicate the problem. He said there was a message in the computer history, but did not print it out, because that would tell him nothing about what is CAUSING this problem.
    So, once again, I'm left to drive this dangerous vehicle down the road, at my risk.
    I have not had the sensor replaced a 6th time.

But, here's what happens. When these 2 lights come on, I of course, pull over, and turn the engine off. The owner's manual says to take off the gas cap and put it back on, and let the car sit for a few minutes. When I do this, and then start it up again, the decreased power light goes out, but the engine light stays on. So, I drive it (since I have to get it off the side of the road!). But, if I drive it for a few minutes and then pull over, shut the car off and turn it back on, then the engine light is off, too. - both lights go off.
    So, I go happily down the road, for anywhere from 1 mile to several days worth of driving, till it does it again!!!
    AND, so far, just today alone, it happened THREE times!!!

Also, sometimes the air bag lights come on, indicating the air bags are not working. BUT then, of course, they go back off in a day or so.

AND, just over the last week or so, when I get out of the car and lock the doors, sometimes they will un-lock themselves as I am walking away from the vehicle!!!

It sounds like an electrical or wiring problem, but who knows.. obviously, not GM!!!

In the beginning of this post, I mentioned I had SEVERAL problems, - the pedal sensor is just ONE of them.

From the day I bought this Vue, there was a buzzing/rattling sound coming from around the front wheel wells. It sounded like metal rattling against plastic. It would rattle whenever I went over even the slightest bump in the road. It would even rattle when I drove over a line of patch in the asphalt, or a crack in a cement road!!!
    I took it in to the dealer, and they did verify it. First, they tried tightening the lug nuts. That did not stop the buzzing. Then they thought it was the catalytic converter, and replaced that. That did not stop the buzzing. Then, they thought it was the wheel covers, and replaced those. Still, the buzzing did not stop. All of this was while the car was under warranty. They even replaced the tires; still buzzing. Finally, the car was out of warranty, and the buzzing continued.
    Then one day, my air conditioner went out. The dealer was going to charge me over $300 just to diagnose the problem. So, yep, I took it to my mechanic. As it turns out, the a/c condenser blew, because of a tiny pinhole in the rod that the freon travels through. It turns out, the bracket that held this rod up, had broken, and the rod was vibrating on the radiator, wearing a hole in the rod. Lo & behold, when I drove a few blocks towards home, with the new condenser, I did NOT hear any buzzing!!!!
    I went BACK to the mechanic, and asked if the metal rod could have been vibrating on a plastic part. He said "yes", - in fact. It was vibrating on a plastic piece of the radiator!!! YAY!!! we finally found the cause of the buzzing!!!!

So, anyway, I don't know if anyone has had similar problems, but I sure would like to get some ideas on what to do!!!

GM is absolutely NO help!!!! This car has been a lemon since day one!

ANY IDEAS???
    Thanks!!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Hello gm_nightmare,

We're very sorry to see how much of an ongoing issue this has been for you. I see that you did contact Customer Assistance - if you were to forward your case number (71-**********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com we can check to see what happened with your case and if we can help it progress.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • ncvuedriverncvuedriver Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I had this same thing with our 04. I took it to garage ad after 900 dollars worth od struts and all joints The were as stumped as I was. I spent time just looking at it as process of elimination and weeded out many issues.
    Now To the main point, Get under the drivers side dash and follow the steering shat down to the connection. At that junction theres a bolt. It was loose. I tightened it and added a drop of thread locker. That was almost two years ago. No more rattling and clunking.
  • waschawascha Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 xr. Someone posted fix. After spending Near $700 on replacing the front struts,strut mounts (twice) once I just payed the labor. I read on line and am searching to thank them that the problem was solved by replacing the AC (MCPHERSON STRUTS) with Monroe. The problem is GONE. Now if anyone knows about the rubber rubbing sound in the front , please let me know. Also I have read that there are recalls that GM has not notified consumers about. I had the transmission rebuilt under warranty at 90,000 miles.
  • waschawascha Member Posts: 5
    After spending near $1000 in replaced struts (TWICE) and mounts. The problem was eleviated by replacing AC (mcpherson)struts with Monroe. I was charged $300.00 labor for new mounts but was not charged for struts. Now dealing with noise from steering column and told it is rack and pinion about $500.00 to replace
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    wascha,
    Are you getting this work performed at your dealership or elsewhere? Let us know if we can be of any assistance.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • ray169ray169 Member Posts: 1
    442dude its been a few years is the rattle still gone? Just found this site and i have that same (noise-rattle) Was it repaired or replaced ? cost.. DETAILS please and THANK YOU.
  • geno59geno59 Member Posts: 23

I had the struts and mounts replaced, but now have intermittent clicking sound from right wheel or strut mount when turning. There is also a clunking sound when I go over small bumps mostly drivers side, but occasionally passenger side. I took over to dealership and all they could find was I needed caliper pin kit for both front wheels at a cost of $356.00, but the intermittent clunking sound is still there. Had it checked again by dealership and they could only recommend i have the brackets for calipers replaced, but they don't guarantee it will stop the noise. Now my steering is making noise again and the last time the dealership replaced the rack and pinion, but after 5000 miles the noise is gradually coming back. This 2008 saturn Vue xr is almost impossible to fix. The dealership cannot even fix the problems. It's like a guessing game where replace parts after parts at my expense! If I was made of money there would be no problem. How can anyone fix a vehicle that was improperly designed or engineered? God help me!

I had to have all my seat belts replaced due to not latching or retracting. GM did help pay some of the cost, but in my opinion should of paid for everything. The driver seat when sitting on it makes so much noise it's feels like it's falling apart. The dealership tried to fix it, but was unsuccessful with giving me the option of paying for a new one at a cost of $1700.00. Now I only weight 190 lbs and when looking at the seat it looks like new, but feels like riding on a horse drawned wagon. I guess GM made the seat just to look good! Now if I buy a new seat who's to say it will be any better? I've replaced several parts in vehicle and not better, all at my expense! What I don't understand how GM who has been making vehicles for decades make them worse. I've owned 6 GM vehicles in the past and this Saturn Vue XR 2008 is fit for the pit. To many problems, to much money to repair and to little help. GM would go bankrupt if they had to take responsibility for this poorly engineered and manufactured vehicle. I had the carpet cleaned by a detailer and the color literally came out. The detailer of 30+ yrs said he had never seen something like that and attributed it to very poor quality material. It's not enough I have all these other problems, now my car carpet looks like crap!

GM can you please take back the Saturn Vue XR 2008 for about $12,000 to 16,000 so I can put it on a more reliable GM vehicle? My doctor told me to get rid of the Saturn, because it's giving me an ulcer, anxiety and draining my bank account. I will not sell the saturn Vue xr 2008 to someone else! Sorry I can't do that to another human being.

Sorry, I am new to this forum and posted the above in wrong category, but my Saturn Vue XR 2008 does have problems with steering and suspension. Early 2013 my steering column was making a rubbing sound, especially on initial start up. After taking it twice to dealership the mechanic decided it was the rack and pinion, so it was changed at the cost of $600. Then earlier this year 2014 the noise is gradually coming back. There is also a clunking sound especially front driver wheel or strut area. Last year I had all new struts, mounts and shocks installed. I took vehicle to dealership and it was decided I needed new caliper pin kit in front wheels at a cost of $356. The pin kit did stop rattling , but clunking noise is still present and also occasionally have a creaking clicking sound when turning coming from front strut or wheel area. The mechanic at dealership says he can replace bracket for caliper, but does not know if it will stop clunking sound!

edited April 2014

Today I had the front stabilizer bar links and sway bar bushings replaced, also the rotors. Now there is no more clunking sound or rattling and rides like a new vehicle. What a relief! It cost a total of $686. Money talks and [non-permissible content removed] walks!

The warning lights for ABS and stability control would intermittently come on and off and finally after two months stayed on. I took it to the dealership and the mechanic found I needed a new steering column position sensor. That cost was about $456 to repair. There had been some previous work on steering to stop the rubbing sound at a cost of $600, but the sound came back. Now with the recent work the rubbing sound is gone. It's been two months with hardly any problems, except warning light for low fuel staying on and foam cover over spare tire making all kinds of noise no matter what I do to it. I pray to God my Vue can give me at least a year of no problems, since I only drive about 4000-5000 miles per year.

• tuti1tuti1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2009 VUE and driving the car in continues curbs with out even using the brakes the car make lot of vibration the front of the car shakes and inside the gas and brake pedal also shakes. the only think I blame is the Axles. do any body have this problem. I check the Axles to be center with the motor and they are,
  • travelingman64travelingman64 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Saturn Vue. It makes a lot of rattling noise especially when i am driving on a bumpy road. I took it in to the dealer and head technician told me that it was my steering column. GM had a lot of problems with many of their cars (including the Saturn Vue) during that that time period. He said that it comes loose in one place and rattles. He said it would cost me $1300 to replace the steering column but the replacement part could possibly have the same problem because GM may not corrected the problem even in its replacement parts. Now that is a scary situation. Now how often will you have a technician tell you the truth about something like this? He said i needed to contact GM in their engineering dept and they could give me an answer. I called GM and they would not let me talk to anyone but said i had to take it in and have a tech look at it and the tech would call the engineer. I do not want to get this tech in trouble for telling me the truth. He was the head tech so he must know what he is talking about. He also said that they could go in and tighten it but it would just come loose again. He said that his Chevy pick up has the same problem and he has driven it for over 100,000 miles and had no problem. I do not want to take the chance. THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS MATTER. IT COULD BE LIFE THREATENING. I really need someones help on this one. I know for a fact that these manufacturers will not correct anything unless the govt tells them too even if people are getting killed from it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    While trying to get through to someone at GM, you may want to file a complaint at safercar.gov.
  • xxlt3xxxxlt3xx Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    I have a 2008 Saturn Vue that makes a growling sound/vibration even when powered off on the drivers side. I finally had to disconnect the battery so it won’t kill my battery. Additionally the vehicles instrument panel lights and locks all flicker I had the BCM replaced at the dealership less than a year ago to fix the flickering but they obviously don’t know what the issue is but they did soak me for $1000 for the BCM. This GM is definitely a lemon.