Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter Engine Problems

jgureemkajgureemka Member Posts: 1
HI,

I have a problem with Sprinter 2006 - 2500 model - 150 k miles. When temperature outside is above 75-80 the temperature of engine is going up
abot 30 degree only during driving on highway abou 70MPH. The situation make it worse after turning on AIR CONDITION. The temp is about to be on the beginning of 4 white parting. CHecked fans - OK coolant level - ok. Changeed thermostat. Cleaned radiator.
Thinking about changing the CLUCTH. IS it working on bematel and has variable speed????

PLEASE HELP !!!!

Comments

• kurt6kurt6 Member Posts: 22
    Water-Pump????????????????
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    1) get it up to temp... highest temp that is.

2) Pull off the road very soon, while hot (don't shut down first). With A/C on and at hottest temp. get out (van in "PARK") and check that both the fans are running (aux. a/c fan and engine fan). Obviously the engine fan should be turning as the engine is running.

3) then shut down van. Grab fan (remember engine should be OFF), and spin by hand. If it spins easily and/or does not stop spinning very quickly, then the fan clutch is spent and a new fan clutch is needed.

4) restart the engine right away and let idle (or drive again) to let the engine oil cool down a little (and the turbo to cool off). As my dad has been warned on other turbo-diesels, don't go from full out hot-running to totally stopped without having a bit of run-down time to let temps stabilize at the normal values.

My sprinter also runs a bit hotter above 80 outside with A/C running, especially climbing hills (even gentle ones) as the turbo is running due to fuel useage to keep up speed.

Not likely to be water pump unless it is binding (you said no leaks, full system), also could be other accessory dragging and/or fan belt not running accessories correctly (cracked, glazed, worn to cord on backside).

Correct oil being used? also affects temps. Fully synthetic? Oil full, but not over full?

Best guess is same as yours I think: fan clutch.

Second guess is that the electric fan is not kicking in (I think it will run even with A/C off if the temp is going high. It seems to do so climbing steeper hills in 5th gear at 70-75 MPH).

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks
    KenB :confuse:
  • zgcylzgcyl Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2008 sprinter 2500 3 week ago. It just ran 700 miles now. But I was stoped by a police on highway because the huge white with light blue smoke came out of this van and said it's unsafe to drive this van. I start to notice: it's realy big smoke from exhaust pipe with no much smell. I call dealer right away they just said: drive by they will take a look. While I'm talking with dealer, the big smoke suddenly stoped. After a hour drive to the dealership it did not happen again. Dealer found no problem on anything, I have no idea what so ever.
  • zgcylzgcyl Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2008 sprinter 2500 3 week ago. It just ran 700 miles now. But I was stoped by a police on highway because the huge white with light blue smoke came out of this van and said it's unsafe to drive this van. I start to notice: it's realy big smoke from exhaust pipe with no much smell. I call dealer right away they just said: drive by they will take a look. While I'm talking with dealer, the big smoke suddenly stoped. After a hour drive to the dealership it did not happen again. Dealer found no problem on anything, I have no idea what so ever.

Additional Details
    I drove this van for 4 hours already while the smoke was developed.
  • kurt6kurt6 Member Posts: 22
    check EGR
  • ranitoranito Member Posts: 7
    I read an article on the Harmonic Balancer and it seems to explain my problem.
    I bought my 2003 / 2500 van
    at eBay. It had a terrible vibration when stopping and some
    vibration at 2000RPMs when running. The local
    transmission place here in Half Moon Bay, Ca. rebuilt the transmission at a
    very high cost ($4200). The vibration when stopping is gone and only once
    in a while I feel vibration when coasting at 20-30MPH. The problem I have
    now is when it idles there is a low roaring (low harmonic) vibration at 1/2
    second intervals, something like: ROW, ROW, ROW etc. if I increase the idle
    100 t0 200 RPMs the roaring stops and sounds very nice. Question:
    Can this be caused by the Harmonic Balancer? if so, I am afraid it will destroy
    my newly rebuilt transmission also can the idle RPMs be increased and how this is done? Any suggestions/advise will be appreciated.
    I am 60% done converting the van to a mini motor home for two, when it is
    done I will post pictures and more yet plan to provide information, drawings
    list of materials for anyone that wants to convert. Thanks
  • 1g8r1g8r Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have two 2003 3500 Dodge Sprinters that I've had since new. Both have approxmatly 150K miles on them. The first one developed a loss of power around 125K and the problem was traced to leaking fuel injectors around the seal for the injector and caused replacement of head, all injectors and injector seals. The dealer replaced these items. The second Sprinter has the same problem and I've removed the injectors. There doesn't appear any damage to the head and I plan on changing the seals,cleaning everything up ( looks like a coal mine under injector cover ) and reinstalling the injectors. Have any others had this injector problem and if so how did they correct it? Am I to expect to do this seal change as a maintenence item every 100K miles?
    Thank you for any help.
    1g8r
  • raymkfraymkf Member Posts: 1
    My Dodge Sprinter 2007 will not start in extreme cold weather (-30F). (14400km) Took it to the dealer they installed a circulation heater in the heater hose (1000W). Again the Sprinter would not start in minus 30F weather after the heater was installed. The dealer asked for it to be towed in. They checked the circulation heater they said it was working, it must be something else. After two days probing it, they determined that the computer was not allowing the glow plugs to stay on long enough. They said it would be ok to take it home and when starting leave the key on longer up to 60 secs, it should start okay. When the new part is in,then bring the Sprinter back and fix it in a couple of weeks.
    The temp dropped to -40F over night Jan 04-2009, the sprinter wouldn't start, now I have determined that the circulation heater must not be properly installed. My next step is to get an independent Mechanic to check the circulation heater.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • ernstckernstck Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone else had glow plugs malfunction / become unremoveable causing cylinder head to need replacement? I have a 2003 Freightliner Sprinter with this problem-$6500
    bill and not under warranty, according to Chrysler. :mad:
  • lindeneng1lindeneng1 Member Posts: 1
    ernstck
    I have had glow plugs swell in diesel cylinder heads making them impossible to remove or sheering off during removal and leaving the heat portion frozen in the port.
    In all cases I have been able to remove them and the remaining debris without replacing the head; although in many instances I have had to do bench work on the head to clean it and make it serviceable again.
    I am interested to know what has rendered the damage to the extent that the estimate is $6500--CURIOUS
    Dennis
  • pboothpbooth Member Posts: 5
    Mercedes have a heater plug which fits into the welsh plug under the exhaust at the rear of the engine on the passenger side, about $60 from Europarts-sd. I bought mine there.
  • pboothpbooth Member Posts: 5
    Read your owners manual, look for the operating range. The 4th quarter is normal. Mine runs there all summer. I ran it at the top of the 4th quarter just below the red in Death Valley, outside temp 135. Don't worry.
    Patrick
  • sprinterdudsprinterdud Member Posts: 3
    HAS ANYONE DELT W/ A SEIZED 2.7 MB ENGINE IN THEIR SPRINTER JUST OUT OF WARRANTY? JUST GETTING ON THE FREEWAY ONE DAY CHANGED MY LIFE. YOU SEE, I DEPEND ON MY 2004 DODGE SPRINTER FOR WORK /INSTALL DRAPERIES AND BLINDS. WITHOUT MY TRUCK IN THIS ECONOMY ,WELL, THATS MY MAIN TOOL TO WORK. THIS ENGINE COSTS $15,000 TO REPLACE AND THE GENEROUS OFFER OF $5750.00 FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE STILL WOULD LEAVE ME W/ A BILL FOR $9250.00 WHICH I DON'T HAVE .i BOUGHT THIS SPRINTER IN 2005 NEW BECAUSE I WANTED SOMETHING I COULD ALWAYS DEPEND ON. I MEAN I DID'NT JUST BUY A DODGE, I BOUGHT A MERCEDES BENZ WITH A FINE REPUTATION FOR QUALITY AND ENDURANCE. ANY ADVICE? NOW, "TROY" IN DETROIT WON'T RETURN MY CALLS. PICKING UP MY TRUCK FROM RANCHO DODGE TODAY /ENGINE STILL AS IT WAS/NO HELP/ DO I NEED A LAWYER? I NEED HELP FROM MERCEDES OR DODGE. ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE ANYTHING LIKE THIS? PLEASE RESPOND. AND YES, I DO HAVE ALL MY RECEIPTS FOR TIMELY OIL CHANGES, SERVICE, ETC.
    HAS ANYONE DELT W/ A SEIZED 2.7 MB ENGINE IN THEIR SPRINTER JUST OUT OF WARRANTY? JUST GETTING ON THE FREEWAY ONE DAY CHANGED MY LIFE. YOU SEE, I DEPEND ON MY 2004 DODGE SPRINTER FOR WORK /INSTALL DRAPERIES AND BLINDS. WITHOUT MY TRUCK IN THIS ECONOMY ,WELL, THATS MY MAIN TOOL TO WORK. THIS ENGINE COSTS $15,000 TO REPLACE AND THE GENEROUS OFFER OF $5750.00 FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE STILL WOULD LEAVE ME W/ A BILL FOR $9250.00 WHICH I DON'T HAVE .i BOUGHT THIS SPRINTER IN 2005 NEW BECAUSE I WANTED SOMETHING I COULD ALWAYS DEPEND ON. I MEAN I DID'NT JUST BUY A DODGE, I BOUGHT A MERCEDES BENZ WITH A FINE REPUTATION FOR QUALITY AND ENDURANCE. ANY ADVICE? NOW, "TROY" IN DETROIT WON'T RETURN MY CALLS. PICKING UP MY TRUCK FROM RANCHO DODGE TODAY /ENGINE STILL AS IT WAS/NO HELP/ DO I NEED A LAWYER? I NEED HELP FROM MERCEDES OR DODGE. ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE ANYTHING LIKE THIS? PLEASE RESPOND. AND YES, I DO HAVE ALL MY RECEIPTS FOR TIMELY OIL CHANGES, SERVICE, ETC.THIS SHOULD'NT HAVE HAPPENED/ EXPECTED MILAGE IS 300,000 TO 400,000 MILES BEFORE A REBUILD PER THE FLEET MANAGER AT UNION DODGE WHEN I BOUGHT IT/ AND MANY MECHANICS HAVE SAID THE SAME. DEFECTIVE TIMING CHAINS AND TENSIONERS ARE APPARENTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS FAILURE.
  • crankedcranked Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 dodge sprinter, at 16,000 miles the balancer broke off from the crank shaft at that time I was told this was already becoming a problem. They pieced it together and covered it under warrenty. Now at 106,000 miles it has happened again and now convientently since it is now not covered by warrenty Chrysler has redesigned the crank shaft because this is a design flaw and of course nohelp from chysler. I show dogs and I can count at least 5 people I know that own a 2005 that this has happened too. My dealership said they have repaired 3 in the last 2 weeks. That does not include 2x myself. Never mind the new transmition at 30,000 miles and the seal on a turbo exchange thing.
  • wayneroddwaynerodd Member Posts: 5
    I got some of these motors coming out of rebuild next week.

$5,000 exchanged Plus Shipping.

$6,148 installed!

Pictures may be seen here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230383299630&- viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

Location Toledo, Ohio 43612

Wayne (419)304-9996
  • potterymanpotteryman Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for some answers and the other discussion here doesn't answer why or if you have to replace the whole injector if you have leaking seals. But I have two leaking injectors with all the carbon build up mentioned in the other post. The shop where I take my trucks says it requires a special tool "software" i think and that each injector is calibrated or must be calibrated individually. Meaning, each injector is different and therefore requires individual attention.

Is this confusing you too? Bottom line: approx $5k to do. Anybody have some experience with this issue? I'm looking for some answers. Thanks
    Bottom line $5,000 is way to much!

Truth is I have never seen any changes in the way that a motor runs when the calibration for each injector has been changed.

If you can get to Toledo, Ohio 43612 I can get this done for you for less than $3,000 and that includes the new injectors, injector seals, injector bolts, removal of the back death problem, resurface the injector seats so that this problem will not happen again soon, and also take care of the calibration issue for you. I assume at this point in time that this is a 2004-2006 Sprinter we are talking about.

Hope this helps, Wayne
  • andtayandtay Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2010
    My 2004 Dodge Sprinter is at the dealership for the third time with the same problem. The Sprinter will die when I push the gas pedal a little too hard going up an incline or trying to pass someone. I will pull over to the side of the road, turn the ignition off, wait a few minutes, then restart and it will run fine for a few days. Each time I take it in to the dealer, they seem to fix something different and charge over $1000.00 each time. The first time I took it in they replaced the module fuel tank, the filter, and a fuel hose, which cost me $1166.00 with labor. The second time I took it in, it had the same problem. It died in traffic. I pulled over to the shoulder. Turned the ignition off for a few minutes, then restarted it. After it happened I took it to the dealer. I can't remember what they did right this minute, but they charged me another $1600.00 to fix it. Now this is the third time it has been dying and it is at the dealership. Of course my warranty was over at 85,000 miles. I bought the Sprinter brand new in 2005.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Is the dealership cheating me? Should they fix it for free this time? Should I yell at them and tell them they don't know what they are doing and go to a Mercedes dealer? Please let me know your ideas.

Andtay
    THIS HAPPENED TO ME W/ MY 2004 SPRINTER. TURNED OUT TO BE THE EGR VALVE. THERE WAS A RECALL FOR THIS IN 2004 OR 2005.IF THE EGR VALVE WAS NOT FIXED UNDER THAT RECALL MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET IT CHECKED OUT. YOU MIGHT ALSO CHECK OUT A DIFFERENT MECHANIC OR DEALER/NOT SAYING THEY WERE BAD, JUST TRY YOUR LUCK SOMEWHERE ELSE. OH, BY THE WAY, A MONTH AFTER MY EGR VALVE WAS REPLACED MY ENGINE SEIZED UP /NOT SAYING THE PROBLEM W / THE ENGINE WAS RELATED TO THE EGR VALVE, I SIMPLY DONT KNOW. MERCEDES BENZ NEVER RETURNED ANY RESPONSE TO MY E MAILS/ DODGE IN DETROIT OFFERED $5750 OFF OF $15,000 THEN NEVER RETURNED MY CALLS AFTER THAT. THE DEALER TRIED TO HELP BUT THE PRICE NEVER GOT ANY BETTER. I SOLD MY TRUCK FOR $7000 AS IT WAS /I SIMPLY COULD'NT AFFORD TO FIX IT! I'M BACK TO AMERICAN BUILT VANS AGAIN. SOMEDAY THE ECONOMY WILL GET BETTER/I'LL BUILD MY BUSINESS BACK UP AGAIN AND BUY A FLEET OF FORD OR GM VANS. THERE ARE SO MANY COMPLAINTS ON THESE SPRINTER VANS ; AT LEAST IF MY ENGINE WERE TO GO BAD ON MY FORD VAN I COULD AFFORD TO REPLACE IT!!! I'M BUYING AMERICAN MADE FROM NOW ON!!
  • andtayandtay Member Posts: 7
    Thank you so much for your reply. I am beginning to think the sprinters are duds too. I didn't have any problems the first three years I owned it though. I was happy with it, now......NOT.
  • chelochelo Member Posts: 2
    HI , i have a 2003 -3500 dodge sprinter witch I need help with, after a couple crankshaft sensor replacement ,due to a broken fly wheel this van has not stopped giving me problems. I put a rebuild turbo thinking that may be the problem of the black smoke and power issues, but nothing. I replace the air mass sensor and nothing , some one told me that it may be out of point position. would someone know what can it be. I have this van parked in my house and still making monthly payments
    There are many reasons why you may have black smoke & a lack of power. After looking at what you have already tried. Here are some things that come to mind. If van idles rough better take a look at the injectors, one could be leaking inside. If this is the case and you keep driving the van you may cause damage to the motor.

Other things include, loss of vacuum at the turbo. Easy to check. Remove the vacuum at the line at the turbo. With the van running check to see if there is vacuum at the line. If there is no vacuum at the line, the cause that I see fail most of the time is the vacuum solenoid. It's located under the air cleaner. But check all of the vacuum lines for damage before buying a new one. Check all boost hoses one may have a split in it. Also it is possible that your boost pressure sensor has failed.

Hope this helps, Wayne
  • chelochelo Member Posts: 2
    appreciate that Wayne will try that tomorrow. i'll get back to you later. thanks
  • kaykam10kaykam10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 sprinter that is getting engine oil in the radiator. This is the second time it has happened in three months. The first time I replaced the oil cooler. Has anyone ever had this problem?
    kaykam10,

It is very hard to get all of the oil out of your cooling system once this happens. About the only thing you can do is keep flushing the cooling system untill it is all gone. Each time you flush the system there should be less oil in it. Is your van using more oil than normal? If it is not I would not worry about it. If it is or you think that it is have the cooling system pressure tested this should show if there are any leaks in the system. But my best guess at this time would be that the oil you are seeing is left over from the cooler leak that happened before.

Hope this helps, Wayne
  • fedexgirlfedexgirl Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my 2007 dodge sprinter it is using about 2 or 3 quarts of oil a week. we have had it checked for a leak and my shop cannot find one. someone suggested i check the exhaust pipe and see if it was being burned off thru there but there is no smoke and i checked for residue and there was none. please if anyone has an idea what is going on please reply. thank you and have a nice day. fedexgirl
  • elilcoelilco Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone,

dose anyone knows whats the best way to Flush the sprinter engine and also whats the recommended engine flush for the diesel engine.

Thank you.
  • onsite85onsite85 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I have a 2006 sprinter.I was driving to work when I noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment when I stopped.I popped the hood and saw oil that was coming out of the cover.When I got home I removed the cover and it was caked with baked on hardened oil.Ichipped as much as I could get off and when I started the motor it was exhausting from the part where the glow plug and fuel are.There is a plate and hold down screw that seemed to be tight.Is there some kind of seal that may be missing or broke.Other than this the engine runs fine.The truck has 252,000 miles
    onsite85,

Your condition is what we call blackdeath. This condition happens when the injectors seals leak. To fix this problem you should replace your injectors, bolts, seals and have the injector seats in the cylinder head recut. It takes special tools to remove your injectors when they get like this and also special tools to recut the seats. I have both. If you are ever near Toledo, Ohio 43612 I can help. Good luck, Wayne 419-304-9996
  • granite_girlgranite_girl Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Sprinter box truck, bought it new thinking there would be few issues. We rely heavily on our truck, it is our lively hood as we do granite countertops. We have had several issues with this truck. Biggest problem is finding someone that can actually DO work on it. Go to Dodge dealership that handles Sprinter vans, etc., call truck companies...either the our truck is too big or too small. Problem now is our truck loses power and it won't allow you to go over 45mph and it's even worse when going up hill. Took it to the garage and we were told it is the particulate air filter which will cost us $3500 to take care of. Anyone else have this type of issue? This is alot of money we do not have to replace something and if this is not the problem and we fork out the cash, then what. I've been reading on here all the issues with these trucks...it's kind of scaring me. I live in Fayetteville, NC so if anyone knows of anyone local that can help me...please share. Thanks in advance.
  • edtheslededthesled Member Posts: 1
    have read that there is some easy test i can do by removing the return lines but cant seam to find any details. been working through a hard starting problem that lead to vehicle staling when asked to accelerate under load. have changed primer pump and cam and crank sensors filters and the main injector pump was changed last year. love this van super on fuel just wish it would run.
  • lemon24lemon24 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    my 2003 sprinter 3500 which I've had since 2005, is shutting off on hills,as well as on the highway when the engine has been running for awhile.This is a very dangerous situation! It was happening occasionaly- 1x/yr until later in 2010+ summer of 2011 till now. It's presently @ my mechanics after trying to get a dodge dealer to resolve problem. dodge has now sent me to Freightliner who in turn said they no longer have a contract w Dodge!!! $$$$ to much has been spent on this vehicle for numerous problems. It also is rusted thru, all over the vehicle. this vehicle has a $35000.00 conversion for my buisness so I'm not happy! I'm very interested in anyone who wants to pursue the party's responsible!
  • apitapit Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem, head gasket changed, oil cooler and still not fixed, also coolant gets hot often! Have you figured a solution yet,

Sacramento, CA
    Ron
  • apitapit Member Posts: 2
    check for a vacuum leak with your hoses, I had the same loss of power twice and both times hoses were found to be leaking.

Ron
    Sacramento, CA
  • chopperronchopperron Member Posts: 1
    That is caused by the injector seal being bad and that black caked on mess is diesel fuel and oil . on the 2.7 sprinter you need to reseal the injectors every 50k . most of the time the leak is cylinder number one. and will wash out the cylinder and ruin the engine.
  • slavik247slavik247 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
  • sprinter_mansprinter_man Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Sprinter 2500 would start up fine and driver fine until the temp gauge reaches about 185 and then the turbo would stop working and the van would lose power. If i shut the van off and start it back up everything would work fine for about 2-3 mins before it loses the power again. What might be causing this problem?
  • plasmamanplasmaman Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem and it is being fixed as we speak, it was the engine controller covered under warrantee (99,655 Miles)
  • plasmamanplasmaman Member Posts: 2
    Had same problem and is being fixed, was the engine controller, under warrantee (99,655 Miles)
  • kalashnikkalashnik Member Posts: 1
    Hello I had a 2007 Dodge Sprinter with same Problem your having, first it wasn't bad, but kept getting worse also fuel economy got really bad like 14MPGS, and i was told it was Particulate Filter 3500 like you was told, here's what I done, I did not want to spend 3500 so i removed that unit and installed a straight pipe, i had one made to fit clams it was easy just buy a pice of pipe about 2inches wide and have the ends stretched out at like a muffler shop, takes 5 mins to install, when i did it my power returned to the Van like new and fuel economy went up to 20+ MPGs so try it hope it works, afcorse the dealer told me this wont work
  • tonytrammelltonytrammell Member Posts: 1
    fedexgirl- did you ever find an answer for why your sprinter was using so much oil? mine is doing the same thing.
  • fiteqprprfiteqprpr Member Posts: 12
    I have found a site that gives the best price on a replacement turbo with electronic actuator For Phone order call 818-506-8005 1-877-42TURBO(TOLL Free) Can't find what you're looking for? Contact Us!
    954.34 shipping included 100 dollars core charge.
  • shawn727shawn727 Member Posts: 1
    What unit were you talking about that I need to change to enhance the fuel mileage? I am talking about the Pipe that you connected from what to what parts? I am thinking of getting a sprinter but when hearing this, kind of scares me. Thanks
  • greg_kgreg_k Member Posts: 1
    I also had problems with my 2008 Dodge Sprinter losing power on the highway several times at high temps after many hours of driving, and then the problem correcting itself after being turned off and restarted, some users here reported an ECU re-flash to fix this. Another issue was that the air intake hose on my 2008 popped off at high temps and high RPMs, so the turbo cut out immediately. Got the hose back in place and fixed the issue.

I have almost never heard of the turbo itself being the issue, but there's plenty of possible causes of power loss problems (hoses, sensors, EGR, DPF, turbo actuator), I've written up a post on my Sprinter RV blog discussing how to troubleshoot Sprinter loss of power problems:
    http://www.sprinter-rv.com/2013/08/09/sprinter-losing-power-how-to-figure-out-th- e-problem/

Greg

Greg Keith
    Boulder, CO
    www.sprinter-rv.com