Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo Audio Questions

echoitaechoita Member Posts: 1
I want to install the Infinity Kappa 693.7i speakers but not sure how to so if anyone can help that would be great. 2000 echo 2 door.

Comments

• crawlercrawler Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know a place to buy a stock radio for a 2001 Echo.

Thanks for your reply
  • dproffittdproffitt Member Posts: 1
    my 2002 echo radio dosnt work and i have replaced the radio.
    when i step on the brake or use the turn signals, I can here a crackle sound in my speakers?
    The radio went off before but all of a sudden came back on for a few months?
    I know its a short somewhere and need to find as I travel for work and need music.
    Anyone have the same problem or advice?
    Thanks
    Danny
  • equipoiseequipoise Member Posts: 1
    Apparently if there is a short in one of the rear speakers it will cause the radio, etc to simply stop working.
    The light wires and connections can be easily broken by something in the trunk and cause the short. Take a look from the trunk.....
    Found this out after giving up on the original after it went silent, replaced it and had a bad install of the new audio and started to do research and found that the original was probably not the problem. Now the light colors don't match either so the change is very obvious. O well!
  • thegreyonethegreyone Member Posts: 24
    Just replaced the radio/cassette player in an ol' 2000 Echo my son just bought and put in a stock 2005 Echo radio/CD/MP3 one for CAN$150. I (and my son) are REALLY IMPRESSED with the sound from that and the 6 speaker system.

He's grinning... but I hope he doesn't go deaf! ;)
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Yes thats another thing that makes the ECHO a super car.
    After a search for "radio" two posters said NOT to replace with Toyota radios because of some "phantom" current drain and other issues. Have people had problems with the stock radio/CD players? This one is newer... from a 2005. I can still bring back it back if there is a KNOWN problem with it I will.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    I've never had any problems with my radio in my '01. It regularly sits for four days at a time as well with no battery drain - never heard of that.
    Nope no drain here either. You got a bum steer there.
  • bruce3681bruce3681 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    I know will help someone out there. I went through a painstaking process of an unknown battery drain. My 2000 echo would die overnight at random. Sometimes once a week to once a month. After trying a new battery, multiple electrical system tests and mechanics trying to get more of my money, I suspected the after market alarm system. Every time I took it to the mechanic it behaved. No current drain was found.

The key turns out, was that my son mentioned the radio would cut out sometimes. I drove it for a while and sure enough there was a random radio short of some type. It would act up the day before the battery went dead. We replaced the stock radio with a nice aftermarket and experienced no further issues. The radio was the last thing even the mechanics suspected.
    edited September 2010
    It often pays to do it yourself. You can think about it and try different things over time. Good job!

But if you have a problem like that you can just disconnect the battery at night.
  • desi_dudedesi_dude Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact problem. I bought a 2001 Echo in 2005, and since last 5 years, I had to replace the battery only once. My radio would suddenly die during hot sunny summer months (I live in Toronto) and would come back on if the car hit a bump and then would function normally in fall-winter.

However last December, my radio suddenly stopped working and few days later, I had to change the battery. Then in last 3 months, my battery would die on a cold wintery morning (temperatures less than -20°C). I replaced the battery twice assuming that it was defective battery. However, it is difficult to presume I would get 3 defective batteries in a row. After reading your problem, I think I will change the radio and see if battery is still giving the problem
    The OEM Toyota Radio has awesome sound. (The original in the 2000 Echo wasn't working when we bought it second hand. The one the auto recycler gave me turned out to be from a newer Celica (2005???). Anyway, it's in, works great and we never have had a battery drain problem.
  • alaconsinalaconsin Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    So, did the aftermarket radio work? We're having the exact same problem. Radio cuts off over bumps and we've had to replace the battery once. I've taken out the radio and wanted to see if an aftermarket radio would do the trick.

Thanks,

Peter
  • cxanmencxanmen Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    I had to change my car battery 2 days ago and now the cd player sound is distorted. What's weird is the sound quality when using the radio is fine. I've heard that changing the battery can "lock" the stereo and it must be reset but there is nothing in the display to indicate that it's prompting me for a code. I talked to a tech guy at my dealership and he said he's never heard of anything like that happening. Anyone else experience this? 2004 Echo with factory am/fm/cd.
    edited December 2011
    Prolly something is simply wrong with the Cd player and the fact that you changed the battery is just a coincidence. I wonder if there is a "cleaner disk" you can put in the CD player and would that help?

Or maybe try another disk?

The fact that the radio portion still works fine indicates to me that the battery change had nothing to do with it.

Good luck and tell us what you do/what happens!
  • cxanmencxanmen Member Posts: 2
    The tech guy figured it was a coincidence, too. I've got a car-audio savvy friend who's going to check it out so I'll let you know!
  • JamieMarieJamieMarie Member Posts: 1
    I've installed an aftermarket stereo in my 2004 echo hatchback 2 dr and I'm wanting to add some rear speakers as my front speakers are on the dash and the rears are in the door panel closest to the front of the car. Poor sound in the back. I'm just stumped as to where I should install extra speakers. There is not exactly any room in the hatch as I've put two ten inch alpine R series red in a hefty box. Any suggestions would be AWeSOMe. Thanks