Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Civic

Comments

• jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for your reply. You gave me some helpful information to think about. I'm looking for a compact car for my wife which has good gas mileage and rides pretty nice. I was thinking about the Civic EX also. She likes a sunroof which I think the EX has. I think for around $21,000 or so I can get a new Civic. Would you say the cloth seats are pretty comfortable in the Civic?

The Mazda 3 looks really nice but I didn't realize it would be more money in the end. I guess we'll have to test drive both to make sure. Thanks again for your help.
  • jerdjerd Member Posts: 2
    It has a moonroof thats standard...it also has an auxillary port which are two things I wanted. The cloth seats are comfortable they are made from a nice soft material and you can adjust the height of the seat. Mine is a solid gray color, not a print. You should be able to get it for 21 or less depending on the dealer you go to. I wouldn't pay more than that before taxes.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I paid $21,000 OTD.for a 2 df EX coupe auto trans. People on this board have been paying less than I did so go to prices paid section. You will get good info there
    I am currently thinking about purchasing a new Honda Civic Sedan. Is there anyone out there that has a new Civic that has leather seats? I'm wondering how comfortable they are compared to the cloth. I had a Jetta for a while and the leather was very hard and not comfortable at all. If I have to go with cloth, I have no problem with that. Thanks for any help you can give.

Steve
    (Jeepster53@aol.com)
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I am currently thinking about purchasing a new Honda Civic Sedan. Is there anyone out there that has a new Civic that has leather seats? I'm wondering how comfortable they are compared to the cloth.

I have the new Civic with leather and I love it. I don't really have any comparison because this is the first car I've owned with leather. But you should do some test drives and see for yourself how it compares with the Jetta you had. I'm sure different people fit into the seats differently. My good experience may not be yours.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We have both and the 3s has great power and smoothness up the rev bend...it's so seemless it's great. Wife loves the car except some blind spots. Prefer my LX as I think it's holding up much better in the noises & squeaks department...the 3s just feels older, but that's subjective on my part.
    Test 'em both and go from there, but do test the "EX" against the "S" version and the "LX" against the "i" version, a fairer comparison and keep us posted.

The Sandman :)
    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I think it's probably going to come down to the Civic EX. I'm also going to see if it's worth getting the navigation system that Honda has. I'm not sure about that yet. The gas prices here in the east coast are going to hit $4.00 a gallon in the next few months. So it's time to get that economical car!!

Thanks again.
  • yourapprovedyourapproved Member Posts: 8
    I live in Palm Beach County FL. I am looking to get into a Honca Civic dx 24 months lease. Automatic. What can I expect to spend. Perfect tier credit.
    I rather put $0 down but I don't mind putting $1,000. If anyone can give me an estimate and may recommend a dealer, I would appreciate it. Looking to lease this weekend.
    da'vid
    I am looking to get into a Honca Civic dx 24 months lease. Automatic. What can I expect to spend. Perfect tier credit.

You'll get a much better response in the Honda Civic Lease Questions forum.

I think the DX trim might be hard to find. Usually the LX trim is much more common. If you're leasing, there's probably not that much price difference in payment. Especially because if you're in Florida, you'd probably want to add the air conditioning option to the DX and that begins to move the price closer to the LX.
  • coupe2coupe2 Member Posts: 6
    Doesn anyone know how to get another 20-30 HP out of a 2008 ex coupe auto?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I got to drive a nearly-new Civic LX rental this past week on a road trip--here's my impressions:

backy, "The Forums Test Drive Team" #198, 12 Jan 2008 1:23 pm
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Performance Cold-Air Intake maybe?
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I have been told that since the transmission is a CVT your do not need to have a gear selection for 1 to 4,5,6 speeds just D for forward. Apparently some drivers need to use the shift; although each shift makes to difference. Correct me if I am wrong.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    Since it's a constantly variable transmission, it literally does not have discrete gears and thus no set shift points. It uses a belt and pulley system to allow for continuously variable gear ratios within some maximum and minimum range. The "S" and "L" (sport and low) shifter settings are just ways to lock the electronics into keeping engine at the high or low end of it's power band, but they still do not lock the transmission to a specific gear ratio, they just limit the range that it can work with.
  • tiffct20tiffct20 Member Posts: 1
    Is the navi system removable? Do the exl come with a car alarm? :blush:
    Is the navi system removable? Do the exl come with a car alarm?

If you mean removable in the manner that some faceplates can be removed from headunits, the answer is no.

The EX comes with a standard security system that honks when someone enters the doors, trunk, hood or tries to steal the radio or cut the wiring.

Even with this, I installed a Clifford system with two way transmitter and it has the additional shock sensor that the standard system doesn't have and it kills the starter.

I can arm them both at the same time for double protection.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    The EX an EX/L have an engine kill system incorporated with the key. Unless the correct key for the car is in the ignition switch, the car will not start (ignition interrupter system prevents that).
    Perhaps a Mazda5 instead of a giant minivan?
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,i purchased a 08 civic lx 2dr coupe with auto in november down here in pompano fla....recently, my girlfriend became pregnant and we will soon need a larger car....her brother works as a salesman at a pontiac dealership in pembroke pines.....i went over there today to see what kind of deal i could get on a 08 g6...yes tradeing a 08 civic for a 08 pont g6....g6 has 3000.00 rebate in effect and i was offered 16,000.00 for my 08 civic on a trade-in.....anyway, test drove the g6 and it handled like my granpa's old cadillac from 30 years ago.....it took me less than 3 blocks to realize this....i will not give up my civic's go-cart like handleing for a slush box......my civic is simply to much fun to drive.......steve
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    years ago.....it took me less than 3 blocks to realize this....i will not give up my civic's go-cart like handling for a slush box......my civic is simply to much fun to drive.......steve

Why not try out the Honda Fit? It for sure has enough for car seats and lots of room behind the rear seat. It has less power but gobs more room than the Civic. I know because I have a Civic Si.
    Now that you have kids you'll end up in some sort of Mini van. I know because most people end up with 2 kids and you need a LOT of room for kids and all their stuff.
    If the Fit is a no go then both Toyota and Honda make excellent minivans.
    Minivans are very practical when you have kids. You'll have to sacrifice your fun for at least 18 years. I did! :sick:
    Perhaps a Mazda5 instead of a giant minivan?

I just can't reccomend Ford products :lemon: to anyone. Too much grief from them. :sick:
    I had 3 kids and car seats take up a boatload of room. Sure, no one enjoys the Mommy mobiles but when you have kids the ease of use is really great and the hassle of having to schlep half the world with you everywhere you go and shoving it into a small car gets real old, real fast.
    Gotta face facts.... Once you start having kids you give up the privilege of having a cool car as a primary car for many years.
    Mini Vans don't bite as much as they used to, either that or I really am getting too old. ;)
    I just can't reccomend Ford products to anyone. Too much grief from them.

Ford owns part of Mazda, but the Mazda 5 is no Ford product.
    Ford owns part of Mazda, but the Mazda 5 is no Ford product.

Hai hai, but Land Rover and Jaguar come to mind and Mazda does share platforms, so no thanks. I didn't buy the Mazdaspeed 3 because of that.
    For those of us who have had no end of Ford problems why risk it? I did have a Miata and it was great, but it doesn't share a platform with anything.
    What parts of the Ford were the problem? I'd guess that had little to do with the platform itself and more to do with components, which Mazda puts in the cars itself, not Ford. The Mazda 5 isn't a Ford platform, uses Mazda engines/transmissions, and is a Japanese product overall, I believe.

Either way, I feel responsible for leading us astray here. Back to the Civic!
  • hklhkl Member Posts: 9
    Glad to hear you like the handling on the civic. I bought a civic coupe for my daughter a couple of weeks ago. I almost trade in my 98 Prelude, fortunately my son bought it off me. But the civic's handling is no way near my 10 years old Prelude....and the Prelude is so solidly built. I will miss it...I am now driving the other family car - 2000 accord v6, not a bad car either.
  • mjoshimjoshi Member Posts: 44
    Okay I know this is Honda forum and people will have their prefrences but I want to know from people who are driving in snow with their Civic LX AT how good it handles in snow. Reason being I've narrowed down between 08 Elantra SE AT and 08 Civic LX AT. I test drove both vehicles and thought following

Advantage for Civic is
    It has better looks and drives bit better than Elantra.
    It has higher resale value (this one is somewhat important as I dont drive car down to ground but trade mostly around 5 years).
    It gives couple of miles more than Elantra

Advantage for Elantra SE
    It is bit bigger than Civic.
    It is $1000 cheaper than Civic
    It has more safety features than Civic (VSC + Brake Assist + Traction control - which are not on Civic LX).
    It has better audio system than Civic.

At present I'm leaning towards Elantra reason being more safety features with relatively less money. But I want to know how well Civic drives in snow / ice compared to Elantra before making decision one way or other.

Thanks in advance
    Have you visited the Civic vs. Elantra forum?

I had read another forum and it sounded like you were sold on the Elantra! :shades:
  • mjoshimjoshi Member Posts: 44
    Well yes I'm more inclined towards Elantra and only reason behind it is VSC being standard on Elantra. But I liked interior of Civic more and felt it more refined than that of Elantra. So I want to know what is experience of people with driving in snow / ice.
    Okay I know this is Honda forum and people will have their preferences but I want to know from people who are driving in snow with their Civic LX AT how good it handles in snow. Reason being I've narrowed down between 08 Elantra SE AT and 08 Civic LX AT. I test drove both vehicles and thought following

I'll add this, I'm up in New Hampshire and in my area we still have a lot of snow left on the sides of the road. Down more north and even south in some areas they haven't got any at all!
    We get a LOT of snow here and I bought a 2008 Civic Si with all season tires. Yes, I know that they are different than the base Civics and I do have the traction control. That said, without the Nokian Snow tires I would have had a lot of problems this past winter as we have a lot of hills and unpaved roads. Traction control helps very little compared to snow tires.
    buy whichever car you prefer but if you get real snow, you will need snowflake rated tires. My Nokian WRG2's are plenty fine for my area and are all seasons rated at 50K miles. I will have them taken off next week and the other all seasons put on.
    Myself I'd take a Honda over a Hyundai any day if for no other reason that resale alone. My wife likes the Si and she's very happy with it. It's not an SUV but neither is the Elantra. The right tires make all the difference. Buy the car you like and invest in a decent set of winter rubber. If you deal with more snow and ice than I do then Nokian RSi's are great. For me the Nokian WRG2's are awesome.
    I drive everyday no matter the weather, so I know how good the Civic is in the snow and ice.
    I drove a lot of cars before we got the Civic. It's built very well and it's very reliable.
    Based on what I did this winter I'd say go for the Civic but get winter tires no matter which car you buy when winter draws near.
    Hope that helps. :)
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    I live in Wisconsin and this winter is the 10th snowiest on record for the area. That being said I think my car (2007 EX) handles great even without the snow tires. We've had some really heavy slushy snow the past two weeks that made the roads pretty slick and the car didn't slide around at all.
  • nsteevonsteevo Member Posts: 18
    I live in Venice Florida and have been purchasing my gas from Mobil because it IS gas. Well last week the 10% Ethanol stickers appeared on the pumps. When I asked the attendant she told me that next week all of the gas stations in Florida will have Ethanol in the gasoline.
    I found that Citco doesn't have Ethanol yet. (they have stickers on the pumps that say "100% Pure Gas". I asked the attendant at Citco and he told me eventually they too will probably have Ethanol Gasoline.
    He said that seeing my car is newer I should check my owner's manual to find if the 07 Civic is manufactured to burn the Ethanol.
    It is.
    I was relieved because I know that if your vehicle isn't made to burn that crap it will ruin the engine. I can deal with the 5 - 6 MPG's less but having my engine ruined would have been unacceptable.
    I don't know how far back Honda started to include this feature. I know Chevrolet has the 'FlexFuel" cars and trucks.
    I didn't know I was buying a "flexfuel" automobile but now that I need it I'm really glad Honda is compatible.

Unrelated item: has anyone else had a problem with the interior dome light not working? MIne quit last week. I have been using the map reading light above the rear view mirror to see inside at night but I am afraid I"m going to forget to turn it off one of these days.

I love the car.
    Thanks for the snow handling info......I bought the car in WI and am going back up there in June......I am hoping the snow will be gone by then!!!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    FWIW, you DON'T have a FlexFuel car, period, full stop, the end. ALL cars can burn gasoline with 10% Ethanol (otherwise known as E10), and have had that ability for decades. That said, there are some genuine FlexFuel cars out there, and those cars are capable of burning E85 (85% Ethanol, 15% gasoline).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Agree with "shipo".....your Honda is NOT a true "Flex-Fuel" (E-85) burning vehicle. If you don't already know E-85 is 85% ethenol- 10% gasoline and should NOT be used in most modern (or older for that matter) vehicles unless certified to do so, like many GM vehicles current are. You CAN use E-10 which is 10% ethanol-- 90% gasoline without fear. There may be other blends out there but so far all I have seen in Pa. it the E-10.
    I live in Wisconsin and this winter is the 10th snowiest on record for the area. That being said I think my car (2007 EX) handles great even without the snow tires. We've had some really heavy slushy snow the past two weeks that made the roads pretty slick and the car didn't slide around at all.

The hills here when unplowed are not much fun. I can barely get out of my driveway with the stock all seasons but bear in mind that I have a Civic Si which has a much lower profile tire.
    I honestly don't think the Civic in any trim level is significantly better or worse than most other FWD cars in the same class.
    That said I will still buy snow tires for whatever car I own, at least if I want to get home that night. ;)
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    My feeling is if you don't drive like an idiot and take it slow than most cars will drive fine in the snow. I would agree that snow tires would be great and have never really thought about it until reading this thread. Maybe next year.
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    I have an '07 EX AT, and my biggest issue with the car is the clearance. I have to navigate plowed streets here in metro St. Louis and a major interstate highway. To say the least significant snowfalls produce blocks of compressed snow or ice on the roads which are tall enough to cause significant damage to the trim below the front bumper and the front wheel wells. This car not only requires caution there but also parking close to curbs and the parking lot concrete curbs that are sometimes placed at the head end of the parking spot. I used to only worry about the air dam under the front of my Accord, but the Civic is even worse. I love the car but with major storms, it stays home in favor of my CRV.
  • aravind99aravind99 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    I bought a 2008 Honda civic LX car couple of weeks ago.I don't see LX symbol on the back. But all the documents from the dealer says it is Honda Civic LX AT.

Is there anyway to find out by looking at the car?

Also when I change the gear from Parking to Drive mode, It is jumping a little bit. Is this normal?, Thanks
    Yes, look at this chart on the Honda web-site and it will tell you the differences between the LX and the other trim levels.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/specifications.aspx?group=all

For example the LX has body colored power side mirrors whereas the DX has manual operated black side mirrors.

If you're holding the break pedal in while you move the shifter from Park to Drive you shouldn't feel a jump. If you are, then go have that checked out.
    The easiest way to tell: if it has power windows but no moonroof, it's an LX.
  • xraydevilxraydevil Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any idea why the EX-L Manuals are so difficult to find?
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Most potential buyers want automatics these days in a top line leather appointed vehicle (even a Civic) which I suspect is the main reason. Honda supplies what most people want and that is an automatic. Or those few who do prefer a manual are snapping up the one or two a dealer may receive every few shipments. Make no mistake the dealer has major input on the model mix he/she receives from the manufacturer so they won't order manuals only to probably sit (set?) around unsold.
  • 3kidsinback3kidsinback Member Posts: 74
    Hello,

Anyone use the back seat often? Am thinking of buying a Civic, but have 3 kids. Usually have one or two at a time, sometimes all 3. I will check it out myself soon, but was wondering what experiences any of you may have had with lugging 3 people in the back of your sedan.
    Two people if 6 feet tall or less is perfectly fine in the back of the Civic, and even I (6'5") can sit in the back behind my 5'5" mom. With three kids, if one is old enough, they can ride in the front. The passenger airbag won't hurt them because it will cut off if they are underweight. If you have a family of 5 though, you might consider something like a Mazda 5 or a Kia Rondo. These are inexpensive 3-row vehicles that serve as mini-minivans, and can be had for the same money as a Civic.
    "Try before you buy." I find I am cramped sitting behind myself in the Civic and I'm 5'10". Also different inseams and foot sizes matter.
    Well, perhaps mom is generous with the room she gives me. I have a 35 inseam, but a relatively short torso. I have a moonroof in my Accord and can move the power seat nearly to the top of the travel before my hair brushes the ceiling.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Just got back from the dealership and sat in a new Civic EX-L. Great leather in my opinion, but I've never owned a leather lined car before. Felt very soft & buttery and quite comfortable to say the least. They added all that dealer add on junk so the price on the window was over $22k...crazy money for a Civic.
    They did replace my battery, as they said it was low charging or something like that. Have just had the car for 23 months and thought the battery would've lasted a bit lomger. What does "low charging" really mean?
    Did get to sit in my dream car...a Acura TSX...very cool car. Even with almost 78k on the clock, the leather was cleanish and the interior appointments were top notch for an '04 model.
    They also had a nice '06 RSX in the Galaxy Gray color with excellent seats...my spine didn't hurt a bit. Very clean for an '06 model.

The Sandman :)
  • mtwebstermtwebster Member Posts: 7
    I bought an 08 Civic Coupe EX about a month ago, and I've had only one issue tarnish this nice car - the spoiler (stock for the EX) is loose at either end.

I took it in to the dealer, and they first re-attached it (I guess the thing is really only anchored in the middle, with some sort of tabs at either end), it was still loose - I pointed it out to the service manager, and then we walked over to another new civic, same model, sitting on the lot, and it was also loose.

So, he ordered a new spoiler. Same problem - I haven't gone back yet, but before I left the lot on that occasion, I went over about 6 civic EX's on the lot, and the spoiler ranged from completely firm, tight, to significantly looser than mine.

I'm not too concerned with the thing falling off, but I do worry that the problem will get worse with age, and with the closing of my trunk it rattles a bit. Mainly I am a bit frustrated that this is a new car, and it's a Honda, and I shouldn't have this.

We're talking about an easy 3/16" inch of play on either end of the spoiler, I can easily push it. Should I live with it, or keep taking it back until they get it right? I don't think this is a flaw in the manufacture of my particular car - I think it's more of a design flaw. I'm not sure how much effort they'll put into this without some direction from the manufacturer. We have a 'lemon law' in ohio - would this apply in any way?

just fyi, best mileage on a tank so far is 35 mpg with about 80% highway, has about 2500 miles on it, manual shift.
  • 4677hola4677hola Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if an air deflector is available in the marketplace for a 2008 Civic LX Sedan?

Honda does not offer them. I have been able to locate a deflector for a 2008 Civic Si
    but not the 2008 LX Sedan.

Thanks,

Marco
    Here's a deflector which says that it fits all current Civic sedans. It's a Honda product, just not sold by Honda in the U.S. so this dealer imported them.

(Scroll down the page a bit)

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_civic_4dr_accessories/06_08_civic_exterio- - - r.htm
This discussion has been closed.