Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Civic

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    no, i don't think they'll give the si a leather option, unless they bolster the seats up a bit more, there is no need for them, especially when you factor in that an ex-l civc now costs just about as much as an si, that would make an si even MORE expensive than it is.
    finally, we can get white with a grey interior!
  • kyotekyote Member Posts: 28
    You are correct. I have the 08 Civic brochure and there is no leather option for the SI. Also, it only shows XM for EX and SI on navigation models.
    Correcting myself here. Today I picked up my 08. Love it!! :) About XM. In the Quick Start Guide it says "On Navigation system, XM radio is standard. On EX,LX, and SI models without navigation, the audio system is XM capable but requires installation of the XM accessory kit to make it operational". Well, I have the little cord now to hook into the aux port so will just use my Sirius, I like programming of Sirius better than XM. Just my preference.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Yeah, I saw one and it could have been a 2006 or 2007 but it was a 2008 EX with leather. What do I mean could have been a 2006..07? There were absolutely NO changes from 2006 on, I own a 2006 and externally there is no way to tell the difference, inside there is no way either, except the leather package which did look nice. Oh, I'm wrong there is a sure fire way to tell a 2008...take a look at the window stickers. The price went up and the mileage went down. Yeah I know the EPA re-adjusted estimated fuel economy is lower now. The price on the EX leather with auto is...$21,345.
    If you thought, as I did, that the Civic was high priced way back in 2006 (mine was $19,685) then this new high will cause you to sit down a moment. News flash!!! If there was any lingering doubt the Civic is no longer a "cheap" economy car. This price places the Civic solidly in the price range of some larger better equipped mid-sized sedans. I guess since the new 2008 Accord increased in size and no doubt price this is a natural progression.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    The price went up and the mileage went down.

Prices stayed the same for 2008. Obviously the price is going to be higher for the new EX-L trim. I think $1,200 is very reasonable comparing leather in other cars. considering you also get heated seats and mirrors.

I guess since the new 2008 Accord increased in size and no doubt price this is a natural progression.

Well sure. The Fit has taken over as the lower level economy car. I commend Honda for offering the Civic with leather. There are some people that want to save gas, but don't want to do it it a $14,000 economy car with cheap plastic everywhere.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You can equip a Mazda 3 to cost well over $25,000 though (well equipped, mind you, but still, this isn't the high-performance model).
    So prices stayed the same did they? I still think more than $21K is too much for a car with the content of a Civic. A Hyundai Elantra Limited with leather, heated seats, and mirrors (which by the way are standard on even the cheapest model Elantra) and more equipment including fog lights, trip computer, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, heated seats, 4wheel discs (standard on the cheapest model), and XM radio standard can be had for thousands $$$ less. All those features are either optional...not available...or available only on the leather package for Civics. In addition, the Elantra is larger inside, has a larger trunk and has a more comfortable quiter ride. Finally, the Elantra will soon be available with ESC.
    Before you lecture me about how a Honda is superior to a Hyundai I own a 2006 Civic (with quite a few problems) and came out of a Hyundai (we had two actually with no problem for either) so the Honda "quality" mantra means little to me.
    Honda has consistently overpriced their offerings recently searching for the "what the market will bear" level. Starting with the Fit through the Accord they all seem to be priced a level above what they actually are..in other words the Fit costs more than other "economy cars" within its class and one can buy the next size small car for the same or a bit more money. The Civic too is solidly within some mid-sized cars price range now. And the Accord is approaching or at entry level luxury/quasi luxury levels. The Accord is supposed to be a mainstream family sedan so why is it priced at over $30K for a well equipped model. Toyota also seems to suffer from this inflated price syndrome. Is the name and reputation worth more than the actual car???
    As an aside: you mention cheap plastic everywhere in a $14K economy car. It is funny that our $19,680 Civic EX sedan has some of the most scratch prone hard interior plastics I have ever seen. Maybe (probably) this poor first experience with Honda has negatively colored my feeling about the brand.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    fyi Hyundai dropped the Elantra Limited for 2008 but still offers leather and heated seats as options on the SE (which also has standard ESC for 2008).

As you noted, a loaded Civic with leather is now about the same price as some much larger cars, e.g. the Sonata Limited. But the Sonata won't get the fuel economy of the Civic. Some people want a car with high FE for commuting but don't want to give up the creature comforts, and the Civic EX-L fits that bill.
    A Hyundai Elantra Limited with leather, heated seats, and mirrors (which by the way are standard on even the cheapest model Elantra) and more equipment including fog lights, trip computer, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, heated seats, 4wheel discs (standard on the cheapest model), and XM radio standard can be had for thousands $$$ less.

Well thousands less is not quite right.

Hyundai Elantra SE is $17,225
    add leather pkg 1,950
    Total $19,175

Honda EX-L with leather is $20,710.

So the difference is only $1,535 not thousands less.

Take a look at used car prices for 3 and 4 year old Elantras and Civics and you will find that the $1,500 difference is more than made up for and re-sale time. While you personally may not value Honda's reliability, the market does. Until Hyundai establishes the track record that Honda has, it will still be that way.

If you like the Elantra, just sell your 2006 Civic, you'll get good money and go buy the Elantra of your dreams.
    Your price on the Elantra is incorrect, the SE with leather and moonroof package is $18,795, so that is about a $2000 difference MSRP to MSRP. But typically Elantras have at least a $1000 rebate. They don't have one now because the 2008s are rare, but once the 2007s are gone the rebates will be back. The rebate on the 2007s ranges from $1000-2000 depending on location. So the real difference is more like $3000-4000. I think that is significant, especially since the Elantra includes ESC.
    Your price on the Elantra is incorrect, the SE with leather and moonroof package is $18,795, so that is about a $2000 difference MSRP to MSRP.

I pulled the Elantra prices off of the edmunds site for a 2008 Elantra.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/hyundai/elantra/100913168/options.html?action=1&- - x=36&y=16

It says $17,225 base and $1,950 for leather---that equals $19,175.

I don't know anything about rebates that may or may not be offered.
  • k5ldbk5ldb Member Posts: 62
    I guess it's regional but in Houston the SE with leather package and floor mats is $19,880 MSRP so it's not far from that magic $20k mark either. Cars aren't cheap any more and a loaf of bread isn't 4 bits anymore either.
    You are comparing an Elantra with automatic to a stick Civic--not an apples-to-apples comparison. As someone else noted, the list price on the EX-L with automatic is $21,345. Be sure also to include destination (non-negotiable) when you compare prices. Just as you should include rebates that are available to all buyers.
  • k5ldbk5ldb Member Posts: 62
    My bad. I clicked the wrong one. Soooo, manual trans, leather, and floor mats and got $18,880. Still pretty well up there and with poorer resale value.
    You are comparing an Elantra with automatic to a stick Civic--not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Absolutely not! I compared both cars with automatic and without destination charges. However, if you want me to add in destination I can as follows:

Elantra:

MSRP: $17,225
    Destination: $620
    Leather Option: $1.950
    Total: $19,795

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/hyundai/elantra/100913168/optionsresults.html?ac- tion=2

Only incentive listed on edmunds is $500 to military personnel only! No rebate or incentive listed for general public.

Civic EX-L

MSRP: $20,710
    Destination: $635
    Total: $21,345

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/build-price/trims.asp?SERIES=2&SERIESNAME=Civ- ic%20Sedan&YEAR=2008

Difference: $1,550. NOT Thousands and Thousands as was previously stated!
    I have had my 08 less than a week and already have 1200 miles on it. Sure do like it! :shades:
    Did you read my earlier post, re the rarity of the 2008s right now, and that when the 2007s are gone the rebates on the Elantra will reappear, and that they typically range from $1000-2000 (that's what they are right now on the 2007s)? And those are available to all buyers. Feel free to deduct from the Civic prices any rebates that are available to all buyers.
    Did you read my earlier post, re the rarity of the 2008s right now, and that when the 2007s are gone the rebates on the Elantra will reappear, and that they typically range from $1000-2000

Yes, I read that in your earlier post. But unless you work for the Hyundai marketing department and can state exactly when the rebate will begin and end, you're just speculating about what they'll do with the 2008 model.

My calculations weren't based on any speculation--just present day factual numbers.
    Your price for a 2008 Civic EX-L with automatic (if that is included in the price you quote) is also incorrect. It is: $21,345 so that is indeed thousands less. Using your original Elantra figures which, according to backy, is incorrect too and my figure which is directly from the window sticker...the difference is $2170 = thousands.
    Thanks for your advice about selling the Civic I believe I will. And for your information there can be other viable choices,other than HONDA, in the current automobile market place. Many are as good as or better than the Civic but you just don't know it yet. For your further information, used Hyundai prices are increasing steadily as well. Honda still has an edge there but with the recent lapse in quality (in my experience) once word of that gets out...well. Ah, I forgot there are lots of zelots who will buy them regardless.
    Yes, I am speculating but it is based on eight years of history on Hyundai's pattern of rebates on the Elantra. It is possible that rebates will not reappear on the Elantra, but history and current market dynamics tell us they will.
    Then there are those like my dad who haven't had a single problem (not even a rattle or creak in his 2007 after 26k miles) who will continue buying because they like the car's character and features.
    Your price for a 2008 Civic EX-L with automatic (if that is included in the price you quote) is also incorrect. It is: $21,345 so that is indeed thousands less.

Targettuning---

$21,345 includes destination. When I did the calculations in post #63, I didn't include destination for EITHER vehicle.

When backy had me include destination charges for both vehicles, I used the $21,345 in post#69, but I also added $620 for the Elantra destination.

Guess what? The difference was $1,550 which is still not the thousands you claim!

In post #69, I posted links to the sources where I obtained all of my numbers. Don't just SAY my prices are incorrect. Post links with the PROOF.

You can't do it because I am completely accurate. And your original statement that the Elantra is thousands less than a comparable Civic is completely INACCURATE.
    At least we're not splitting hairs or anything ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    But at least we're not talking about benchmarks here! ;)
    Talk about the benchmark of a bad thread. I've moved on to the full-size thread until the midsize guys quit with the sales numbers and benchmark talk.
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    I will add this and be done with this bit. The only reason why there is so much talk now concerning Hyundai is because they are really proving that they are back to make heads turn and give competitors some worry. Are they accomplishing that-Yes. I am a Chevy guy in the market for a new Hyundai Elantra and yes I like the Hondas, Mazdas, etc..
    Its like this with everything consumers buy when competition comes along and its good and honest people worry and talk and give there own opinions weather right or wrong.
    A big big thing Hyundai has done and don't forget even with the older models of hyundai from 15-20 years ago they were learning & growing to be better as they have proved over this period to now. In the end one is going to buy what he/she wants regardless of others. My hard earned money and what I want for my money falls under Hyundai. Enjoy ladies and gents.
    Try posting this in the Economy Sedans $16k-$20k board, you'll get a lot more responses. This forum is Civic-only I believe. Competition is great; its what drives the class forward, but you'll find a lot more willing conversations in that board than I think you will here.

Heck, I'll be one of the first to join ya there!
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Not to be disagreeable (but that's just the kind of guy I am), but if Hyundai is so hot, and competitors are so worried, why are Elantra and Sonata sales down 10-20%?

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/09/04/060897.html

The company's sales have leveled off, or FALLEN for two years now. Why? :confuse:

The line-up is all-new, even with new models added, sales won't increase.

I think Honda and Toyota are as safe as the Mona Lisa. :blush:

DrFill
    Much of it is due to the fact that Hyundai ran a campaign of getting as many butts in the seats as possible to see that they were better than they once were (they are). The problem with that is that it meant over 40% of Sonatas went to fleet sales. Now they are not pushing fleet sales so much, and their sales numbers are falling (and resale is poor).

Again, this isn't a Hyundai forum, we should probably take this elsewhere.
    Should be relegated to the outer limits of this site. Agreed. ;)

DrFill
    But we are all glad to see a Toyota sales rep join this discussion about the 2008 Civic. What do you think about it? Sure knocks the socks off the 'ol Corolla, doesn't it?
    One, I am no sales rep for any maker.

Two, the Honda Civic is a very fine automobile, but Corolla can be sold easily enough against it, as the market has shown. ;)

But that is for another forum.

DrFill
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    I knew I was posting under the Honda Civic but I was responding to a earlier post.

Now, I have no beef, chicken, ham etc with any car makes/models I was expressing really how far Hyundai has come and knowing they have been here for awhile-improving. As said before I like Mazdas, Hondas, Acuras, etc.. but I can't own them all. The number of sells with Hyundai means little to me as they have just transition and moved here (USA,Alabama) and it will take time and I also know they have been here for a few years now. I do not bash other makes as a lot of people do I just stated how Hyundai is way way different from the 1990s. Thanks for the posts fellas.
    OK, hope you are enjoying your new job, whatever that is.
    backster i lol'd at that one! ;)

anywho, i don't think that the obvious price advantage hyundai used to have with the elantra exists anymore, as pricing it on their website suprised me totally.

i think its a nice car, but i still prefer the civic, for its handling prowress, steering feel, fuel economy, resale value, and upscale looks.

while hyundai has done the rebate thing in the past, its still a moot point, we are talking about msrps here not what we could potentially get the car for. there is no GUARANTEE that you will get a rebate. and remember, while the civic isn't a horrendously discounted car, people have gotten it for much less than msrp.

Targettunning: your experience only proves that that its possible to get a lemon with any car company. i'm a honda fan, but no zealot, and i wouldn't commend my car if it had subpar build quality;...

...but i also wouldn't tag the whole honda brand on just MY experience. I had a great experience with my vw, many others have not. Does that make vw the most relaible company ever. not by a longshot.

those zealots are zealots for a reason. ;)
    i too am glad that they included leather, some people want a classy, high mileage car thats fun to drive, without it being a 12k econobox.

with regards to honda's 'overpricing'.

anyone ever realize that mazda and nissan are guilty of it too? its not just honda who charges you a small premium over other companies for stuff. (this is to echo grad's post with regards to having a mazda 3 that goes well over the 22k pricepoint.)
  • cwhytecwhyte Member Posts: 14
    I purchased my 08 EX-L Sedan about a week ago at invoice price. I'm the type that wanted a smaller, fuel efficient car, but still wanted a lot of options and a little luxury. I was spoiled with my first leather vehicle with heated seats a few years back and I want to stick with them. However, the 34mpg from the first tank on this car is a nice new feature that I have not had on my past vehicles. I was surprised and happy to pay invoice for the new model year and first civic with leather. The extra $1200 for leather, heated seats, and heated mirrors is actually a value compared to those options on other cars.
    Wow, you got invoice on a 2008 with leather. That's great! I didn't think they'd be discounting them that much at the beginning.
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing in the Prices Paid discussion. Hope you'll stop by the Dealer Ratings & Review page and give us your critique of the dealership. :)
  • sywsyw Member Posts: 1
    Is it ok to tell which dealer did you buy from?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Is the leather a pretty decent grade? The leather in the '05 Mazda 3s was really subpar so we opted for the cloth. Really liked the Honda leather in the new CR-V I saw in the showroom a few weeks back...very soft and buttery feeling.

The Sandman :)
  • cwhytecwhyte Member Posts: 14
    I'm no leather expert, but I think it is good quality and pretty soft. One thing of note, the heated seat for the driver heats the bottom and back, while the passenger only heats the bottom. There was an explanation for why, but I can't remember what the manual said. The dealer was Norris Honda in Dundalk, MD, via the internet/UBS (United Buying Service) pricing. I had two other dealers quote $500 over invoice, which was still pretty good. Since purchasing, I have tinted the windows at 35%, purchased a Garmin 350 GPS, and installed a portable Sirius Radio. I'm happy with the results. I have a couple of minor gripes, the worst of which is the stock stereo for an upgraded model like the EX-L, but I don't think it is worth the cost to improve it.
    I would like to respond to the notion that I have a lemon in our 2006 Civic. All the problems I have experienced except one, and maybe even that one, have been noted by many participants in this and other Civic forums. This means that I am not the only one who is complaining that Honda quality "ain't what it used to be". Honda has issued service bulletins for all the problems I have and some that I am glad that I don't have. There is a very long list of service bulletins for the 2006/07 Civics. In addition some 2007 owners are also complaining about the same things so the "first year of a new model" explanation doesn't seem to cut it.
    You got it..I am not recommending the car because of well...lets call it un-Honda like build quality.
    So hopefully that leather didn't leave greasy stains on your pants. ;)
    since i bought my civic at the same time you did (and no several other people who did as well, in person, not on a forum) thats why i conclude this. if it was such a widespread issue, the car would not sell, it would not get the ratings it does.
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    1) it doesn't hold up as well as cloth
    2) it is hot in the summer sun
    3) you have to "condition" it constantly
    4) it isn't really solid leather anyway (it's "bonded" aka pieces-parts, glued to cloth backing).
    Once again...Honda issued OFFICIAL service bulletins to correct many of my (and others) relatively minor but irritating issues. That would indicate, it seems, Honda thinks these issues are widespread enough to issue service bulletins. I know they are (widespread) when a large group of build (serial) numbers are involved..and they are. Please do not conclude because your car does not have a particular problem, and neither does John Smith's down the block that nobody else does. Do you even know which Service Bulletins address what problems? I have a (now outdated) list of about 8 or 9 if you want some hard proof. Additionally there are three (3) recalls that affect various 2006/07 Civics. Two of those are as follows:
    1. #07V402000 This one affects the brake light switch which in turn affects the ability to remove the car from park. I can provide more if you want.
    2. #07V399000 This one is a rear wheel bearing/speed sensor problem and seems a "little" more serious in that a rear wheel has the potential to fall off. Think of the possibilities of that one when you start talking about the popularity and good ratings. Good ratings mean nothing when you are attending a funeral or in the hospital due to an accident.
    3. This recall was issued about a week after I bought my car in the fall of 2005. I do not remember the # but it indicated the gas pedal may not have been attached to the floor causing a possible inability to regulate vehicle speed and causing a loss of control.
    This is about the 08 Civic, not previous ones. You really need to look at the topic before you post. :)
    And don't forget cold in the winter, if there's no seat heaters.

I favor cloth myself. Leather looks nice and smells good, and it minimizes static electricity. But I'll take a nice cloth interior any day. That said, my personal car has leather, but only because it came standard on a car I got for reasons other than a leather interior.

Still, lots of folks like leather and now they can get it on the Civic, so no need to uplift to an Accord if you like Honda and leather and want a small car.
This discussion has been closed.