Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Elusive Chirping!

braq24braq24 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Nissan
Hi guys,
I've been having a problem with my 98 Pathfinder for about a year now, and no mechanic has really figured out what is causing it. I've got a VERY loud chirping noise coming from my engine. Sometimes it will come and go, other times it will be consistent for weeks. It gets louder when I accelerate and a little louder when I turn on the AC. Here's what has been concluded so far:

1) It's not the belts - They were changed two years ago
2) Mechanics have tried spraying the pulleys with some WD-40 but if anything, it got louder (They also replaced two of these pulleys...)
3) In warmer weather, after driving for more then 30 minutes or so, the chirp will stop completely (when idling).
4) Doubt this is related but maybe it's relevant - When listening to AM radio only, pressing the gas pedal causes a loud static to interfere with the signal...The more I press the pedal, the louder it gets

I've seen 3 other Pathfinders with the same exact problem. Perhaps it's something common? Any ideas or starting points?

Thanks

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    if anything, it got louder

That would indicate that it is the belts which contradicts your first assertion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • khurramkhurram Member Posts: 15
    I am guessing loose heat shield. Check my posts.
    Khurram
  • yahvehyahveh Member Posts: 1
    Your problem is the harmonic balancer in the crankshaft. You know the pulley where all three belts hook up to. The crankshaft pulley or harmonic balancer that is your problem.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    check belt or replace, check harmonic balances rubber slipping or replace, check Idler pulley tension?
    I replaced the nissan 2003 pathfinder's 12 volt big battery, now my FOB or remote will only open the doors and lock the doors, If I reprogram the remote will I get the remote start to work?
  • braq24braq24 Member Posts: 2
    Haha - Thanks for the response. While the problem occurred three years ago and have long sold that car off (I loved that car!), the mystery was solved when the car broke down at 65 mph on the Garden State Parkway. You were correct -- Harmonic balancer! It was loose, flung off and took most of the belts with it...So for future reference...Watch out for that thing.
    When I first got my Nissan's pathfinder 2003 I could swear it chirped once and flashed twice right after I remotely started it then the parking lights would come on immediately and stay on until I put the regular chip key in the ignition and turned it on ,then the parking lights would go out,can you check this on your pathfinder if you have a remote start and let me know if the parking lights flash first then come on as soon as it starts or a few seconds later? [note] ,I just changed the vehicles big 12 volt battery.
This discussion has been closed.