Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• tx_4runnertx_4runner Member Posts: 3
    got the pic from here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyotausa/3862353338/

i assume they'll add more to the album with time
  • vau33880vau33880 Member Posts: 3
    Hard to see the frame with all that skid plating. Is it a frame or unibody?
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    The picture shows a vehicle without fog lights? That would be a departure from the 4-runner, unless they are now optional. Per another post, picture is a tease.
  • bigworm1bigworm1 Member Posts: 2
    Fog lights are an option. Those look like delete panels in the pic
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    2010 Toyota 4Runner to be revealed at Texas State Fair

August 27, 2009 - 1:54 pm ET

In a nod to its rugged nature, the 2010 Toyota 4Runner will debut on Sept. 24 in Dallas at the Texas State Fair.

More details will be revealed then, but Toyota hinted today that the interior will be upgraded with added room and comfort for the fifth-generation sport-utility vehicle.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20090827/ANA08/908279978/1290

Just what you need in a rugged offroad vehicle, "added room and comfort". ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    I like the grips on the steering wheel. Wish my 07 Sport had them. Can't wait, though, to see the whole vehicle and read the initial reviews. I was kind of hoping they would've leaned more toward the 02 body style. Personally, I hardly ever like a new body style at first sight . . . it has to grow on me.
  • pharmboy3pharmboy3 Member Posts: 17
    I'm the owner of a 2000 taco and 2000 JGC, both off-road stars. Didn't like the interior of the current generation 4-runner, so never gave it another look. The new FJ is a wannbee offroad Scion weirdo with terrible blind spots and it should have been designed more like a Wrangler or LR Defender. If Toyota produces a better dimension 4-runner with back-to basics style, them I'm interested. I hope they don't put any of that weird crap on it that makes it more of a gimmick. If so, I'll just get a redesigned 2010 JGC.
  • trout6trout6 Member Posts: 3
    I hope that they've improved fuel economy or something mechanical in a drastic way. The looks may grow on me but my first reaction is not positive.
    http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1034692_toyota-teases-2010-4runner

Like to know others thoughts.
  • rsarramirsarrami Member Posts: 47
    By now we have all seen the pics of the 2010 4Runner.

The trail edition with black plastic mat bumper does not appeal to me. You can see the screws where plate was put on. In my view, make it steel for off road edition or leave color coded. Toyota is mistaken to classify/characterize off roaders as yupee or as tailor boys. We require a functional vehicle for the purposes of significant city & hwy driving to get where we need to go as well around town, towing our toys and off roading once we get there.

It is difficult to comment on what else is difference in trail edition, but as you said, I would not hesitate to move away from Toyota if it is anything like FJ with non-functional features aimed at yupees
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    Owning an '05 4Runner Sport Edition w/ a V8 that I tow a 21 foot travel trailer with...let me say this:

Toyota will not sell many of these...they are ugly and lack a wide choice of motors.

Look at the Tundra-for reasons only known to Toyota-they went with a "swiss cheese" frame and their sales volume isn't any where near their projections. They have "bed bounce" and tailgates that don't hold up to the normal uses of a truck.

Even Toyota can make mistakes....
  • cgriff1cgriff1 Member Posts: 2
    I am in utter shock after looking at these photos.

I don't know who was designing this horrid monster, it is unfortunate because the 4runner has always been a staple of Toyota. I feel that it no longer will be. Looks like I won't be in the market for the new 2010 models

...Looks like Toyota really screwed this one up.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Unless there are other photos floating around, I'm assuming folks are looking at a few blurry cell phone pics and the Toyota teaser. I'm going to wait for clearer photos before I cast too strong of an opinion one way or the other. The white Limited looks odd to me, but it could be the angle and/or the lack of running boards. The others seem to be a nice evolution of the current design.

I want to see a Limited interior in beige. Black interiors often look cheap in photos (an often in real life too).
  • cgriff1cgriff1 Member Posts: 2
    Just out of curiosity, what did you guys pay for one of these? I know I don't have much leverage, but the dealer wants ~39K with a warranty. Is this reasonable?
    If you are in the US, that price is highfor an SR5. Since Toyota reduced 4-Runner production, my experience is you will pay more today than 9 months ago. Just not many available. Cash For Clunker cleaned their lots, so even in the case of the 4-Runner they are motivated to significantly discount. Just my experience.
  • tooch59tooch59 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at those pictures, it looks like Toyota is taking some design pages from 09 Pilot. More Boxy outside. Almost a cross between Pilot and FJ Cruiser. New Pilot has given a little competition to 4runner but because of Boxy shape and added weight, towing received bad reviews. Hope Toyota does better. I personally like the 4th generation, our 02 tows like a mother and mileage is ok
  • jtothejjtothej Member Posts: 10
    God, I hope it doesn't like a Pilot, or a box, or anything else that's horribly dated looking! Theres everything right with updating style - I don't wear the same style clothes I wore ten years ago either, some of you seem to be stuck in the past, let's look forward! Hope Toyota didn't listen too much to all of this loving the body style of the last couple of versions, the body style needs updating without losing its great driving experience and four wheel prowess! If you guys want a throwback, buy an old one or the FJ. Personally I want my $40k truck to be more modern looking more like the X5, Audi Q7, Cayenne, Toureg or the upcoming 2011 Grand Cherokee, but with it's own sporty 4runner style, kinda of Landcruiser Jr with balls!
    Hi jtothej:

I couldn't have said it better. Nothing wrong with style and functionality at the same time.
  • ratmratm Member Posts: 11
  • thammer62thammer62 Member Posts: 48
    I like these shots better than the white limited pics that first surfaced. I can see this looking good in person.
  • pitapospitapos Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the link to the latest pics. They are much better than the "spied" shots.

Has any information been published regarding the specs (width, height, length) of the new 4Runner? To me, the new version appears to be taller and possibly wider (although I can't be certain).
  • ratmratm Member Posts: 11
    You can find the specs in the PDF at the beginning of the tundrasolutions thread I posted earlier (not sure if the PDF is still available though)
    In that PDF you can see these values:

L = 4820mm (189.8in)
    W = 1925mm (75.8in)
    H = 1780mm (70.1in)

Regards.
  • pitapospitapos Member Posts: 2
    Hey! Thanks for the quick reply. Looks as though the new model is roughly the same size as the 2009 (just slight differences - for the most part).
    Is it me or does this one look more squared off/rectangular and boxy than the current one? Certainly doesn't look cool, more utilitarian, wife certainaly isn't gonna like it, hopefully looks better in person. The back looked cool in the spy photo, hope that is the case. Sorta looks out of style, it would have been better with a little more modern rounded style and edge, it kinda looks 10 years old already. Oh well, hope the throwback crowd has their checkbooks ready, don't think the yuppies will have much interest in this, hopefully the new V8 GX 460 will be the bomb! Any photos or news of it anywhere??
    Concur that it does look boxy and not very aero dynamic for the green people and better highway milage.. Since picture is of a limited, this is probably one of the more pricy models (guess $45K loaded) with the external appearance frills. The trail version will tell the story for many with the matt black out finish. I cann't image a true four wheeler wanting those low profile tires. Hopefull it is better in person, than on the pictures. And as always, Toyota appears to have stayed with their boring external colors. I assume that picture is the new blue that is becoming available.
    Hi sven007:

Thanks for the pics.

I would be very interested to see how the trail edition will look.
  • tallen2109tallen2109 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry to hear so manny folks are afraid of the new design. I personally think it's the best looking 4 Runner yet. I do agree that the V6 only option is a failure for those who do heavy towing...but for the rest of us who only haul small loads or hunting with no trailer, it's perfect.

I do want to see what the Trail Edition looks like as I don't have $40K to spare.

Anyone know when the official brochures are supposed to hit the web?

And sven007 thanks again for the pictures!
  • pharmboy3pharmboy3 Member Posts: 17
    I love it! My dad has toy '96 4-Runner and i own a '00 Taco, and the style is similar/retro to those years. It is a little big at 189" and 75" wide. I hope the width is including the side mirrors and not the body. People have to keep in mind that Toyota has multiple SUVs, each with a consumer purpose. If you want the looks, efficiency, and carrying capacity; go for a RAV4 or Highlander. If you want to tow, go off the beaten tracks; then get a 4-Runner or Land Cruiser. A v-6 should give it 6k-7k lbs. towing capacity, which is good enough for a 21 ft cuddy cabin. Toyo is probably saving the V8 for the Lexus version, to distance the price gap. This is designed to be driven off the beaten path, not intended to be a soft soccer-mom vehicle or granola SUV. Besides, what the heck is an aerodynamic SUV? People, this is not a Prius! Another good thing about going back to basics is hopefully a lower price tag. The last generation was too expensive for it's ugly interior, probably why the GX470 was so popular. I can see it now, with a pair of sea kayaks of top and a bike rack...
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Since Toyota is rumored to go with a 4cyl. and an optional V6, anyone have any clues on possible pricing?
  • trout6trout6 Member Posts: 3
    Got a question. Looking at the new and old 4runners and short/long bed Tacoma 4x4's. I currently drive a 96 Toyota T100 that still purrs like a kitten with 180,000 miles on it. My question is, with new technology lowering MPG all of the time and most large vehicles falling out of favor which vehicle do you think will hold it's value better. Thx.
    Rarely, does the MSRP of verhicles go down. And, since they are producing fewer, the price is likely to go up. Perhaps, the real question is how much.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    All these rumors...can't wait to see it in person. From the pics...I like it!!!
  • devilrunner04devilrunner04 Member Posts: 7
    looks nice but wondering if they will make it with a V8..i have an '04 with a V8 and I love it..doesn't make me want to get rid of it if i have to downgrade to a V6. Interesting style. Reminds me of the Scion xB..and i'm not saying that in a flattering sort of way. But I guess that's why Toyota vehicles are made to run, not win any beauty contests. Still it looks more rugged than the older gens (including the 3rd gen which is what i have). Going to have to do a test drive when they come out..the dealership (Hamer Toyota) where i service my suv told me November.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "Sorry to hear so manny folks are afraid of the new design."

I'm not afraid of the new design. I just don't like what I've seen so far. Maybe it will look better than the pictures.
    You know, I remember going to a Pontiac-GMC-OLDS dealership to look at new cars. I saw the Pontiac Aztec, and proclaimed to the group of sales people standing in front of the dealership,"That's the ugliest car I have ever seen!" One of them looked at me and shouted back, "Get use to it, this is the design of things to come!"

Well, we all know how long that lasted!

The '010 forerunner will probably look better "in person" than the pictures. But car makers (Toyota included) all make design mistakes. Some times they are very costly, witness the 2nd generation of the Ford Taurus (the oval disaster), this cost Ford the number one slot for a family car, and they HAVE NEVER regained the title again!
  • skijunkieskijunkie Member Posts: 4
    Is it just me or does the front and possibly rear differential seem to be tucked up nicely in the frame creating higher ground clearance? If this is the case the new 5gen is going to to be a great in the snow and mud. The only under carriage view I can see is from the photo leaked by Toyota.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cars/image_popup/newgallery2.php?postid=21070&galler- ynum=1&defimage=http%3A%2F%2Fphotos.leftlanenews.com%2Fphotos%2Fimageresizeronfl- y%2FphpThumb.php%3Fsrc%3D%2Fphotos%2Fcontent%2Fmay2009%2F2010-toyota-4runner.jpg-
    I don't think it is going to be significantly different in terms of ground clearance than the 4th Generation.
    http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/07/2010-bmw-x5-facelift-shows-its-face-in.html-

Check out the 2010 BMW X5 3.5 Twin Turbo diesel, 306 Hp, with a whopping 442 ft/lb torque!! 20/26 mpg, and MAYBE MOST IMPORTANTLY wide ample seating with really comfortable supportive seats!! Was just in my brothers '05 4Runner and my 225lbs felt like I was a child seat, no cushioning at all. Plus we are all over each other and still the new 4runner is only 0.5" wider and 1" taller than the current one, this is a truck for 160lb guys!

'10 twin turbo has a MSRP of $52k, but BMW is giving $4500 rebate on this turbo diesel and gov is allowing $1800 tax credit, so more like $45K w/ 100% free maintenance and b-to-b warranty fo 4 yrs/50k miles, hate to admit it, but I might have out-grown 4runner.
    I see no point in a vehicle like the X5. No use offroad. No more room than a 5 series station wagon, but heavier, uses more fuel, and doesn't handle as well.

I have a 4Runner because I take it offroad. Places where an X5 can't go.
  • tooch59tooch59 Member Posts: 3
    tax gredit is not full amount, its an itemized deduction may be $180
    Realizing this is a 4Runner blog, but Nedzel, wake up the X5 handles like a Porsche and will
    do figure 8's around it, is a whole lot bigger/roomier in every way and gets 5 mpg
    more!!!! 20/26 for the super clean burning twin turbo diesel, 6 second 0-60!, and is Awd and goes great on beach or dirt, you really gonna do jumps in new $40k Toyota, good luck with that!
    jtothej: There is nothing that the X5 will do that a 5-series wagon won't do better. The wagon rides better, handles better, and given the same engine, will perform better and get better mileage.

The X5 is simply not any good offroad. No low range. No ground clearance. And performance tires don't work offroad.

I'm all in favor of turbo diesel engines. I just see no use for cross-overs -- they don't have the utility of a either a true SUV or a wagon.
    Your right in regards to the 4Runner's seats...not the greatest. The rest is comparing apples to oranges......