Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• jonesok1jonesok1 Member Posts: 97
    I saw this vehicle in person. The headlights were damaged-actually pushed in as in "crunch" and it looked like they used a lot of tape to hold things together, including replacing the original headlights and taillights after they were damaged with, yes, duct tape. But it really doesn't matter. Putting protruding lights on an off road vehicle is asking for a repair bill if you take it off road. Not a very well thought out design.

GM
    In fact, this IS what happened. This is the same vehicle I saw taken before the headlights and tailights were damaged:

http://jalopnik.com/5367077/2010-toyota-4runner-more-power-more-dents

Same headlights as stock. to make it legal on the road, they had to stick on some temporary replacements on the rear.

You think maybe they learned something with that design?
  • jeffo7jeffo7 Member Posts: 2
    Where is this vehicle being manufactured?
  • tonycanztonycanz Member Posts: 3
    Japan
  • gt333gt333 Member Posts: 3
    I am leaning strongly towards the Trail model but really want leather seats, which means I would either need to upgrade a base model or go with the Ltd. Has anyone seen the water resistant fabric seats in the Trail model, and if so, could you offer an opinion about whether they are cheap looking or otherwise undesirable? Also, dealers seem quick to suggest local vendors to put in leather seats and even claim that they have the same templates and leathers as the manufacturer. Anyone tried that?
  • nlusternluster Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the same issue. I want the Trail but need leather. The dealer said that they could install at the dealership but not order it from the factory. They could not give me a price now though. I'm looking for alternatives too. Figure that if I have to pay for it maybe I can find a NJ shop that can do something cool.

I was so hoping to see one of the new styles in person NOW. No luck yet.
  • donringlerautodonringlerauto Member Posts: 27
    Hey everyone! I havent posted in a little while, but I've been trying to pass along info as I get it (which is sometimes right when it gets to the public!)

Anyhow, I know not many of you are in Central Texas, but if you are and/or you know someone who is, we will have a 4Runner at our store tomorrow available to look at, drive, and get to know.

For more info, email me at dringler@donringlertoyota.com - dringler@donringlerchevrolet.com

PS - the aftermarket leather options are great. We do them all of the time and they look just like factory... unless you want to make them look otherwise. Yes, Purple Ostrich accents are available!
    Actually, I saw the water resistant material in the Trail Edition at the Texas State Fair. It's not bad at all, really. Felt pretty comfortable to me and looked great.

I had leather put in a Tundra and frankly it was of a poorer quality and felt harder and more coarse than factory. I wouldn 't do it again. It cost then around $1000 or so if I remember, so my guess it would be more now. That was many years ago. There may be some better stuff out now, but I would recommend actually seeing it before it goes on to be sure you would be happy with it. It wasn't worth the cost in my opinion.

If I get a Trail, I'll stick to the stock material.

GM
  • luke150luke150 Member Posts: 16
    Will there be a towing package (bigger radiator, tranny cooler etc.) offered for the new 4Runner or is it already included?
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Has anyone actually sat in the 2010 and confirmed that it really has more headroom than the 2009? And are the LED rear lights really gone? Anyone know why they went back in technology.
  • skijunkieskijunkie Member Posts: 4
    Some of Toyota's instruction videos for the 4runner owner are on youtube. It has everything from how to work the 4wheel drive systems to the stereo. Some videos are painfully obvious tasks like folding down the seats. Probably filmed for the same people that need the "Do not place over childs head" warning on plastic bags.

This is the video of the test on the Rubicon Trail. Looks like a tough truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-NheyAIR6I
  • durangojaydurangojay Member Posts: 31
    Fyi, I am going to the Official Toyota 4Runner Launch for our region tomorrow. No details yet on how close we will get, which models will be on display or whether we will be able to drive any. I am in the Denver Region and the word is that we should expect our new Runners (of which we will get VERY few, I'm sure) by the middle of November. Everything I am hearing, and reading, about the 5th Gen has been very positive. We are expecting them to sell at sticker,if not a bit above. We have seen a strong demand for them, w/o even having them yet. My professional opinion for anyone who cares is that IF you can find one, which will be difficult, and it is offered BELOW sticker-DO NOT HESITATE. Buy it...
    We had one here at the store last friday and we'll have another one here next week (Oct 26-30), but I'm not sure which day yet.

I put up a few pics of the one we had at the store last week on our Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Temple/DonRinglerAutos/86493124904 )

The ride and handling is amazing and it looks great too!

Also, regarding the leather, it's changed a lot over the past few years. Its still around a grand, but has a better fit/finish than it used to. I have some pics and a video of some aftermarket leather in a couple of vehicles. If you'd like to see it, just let me know!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Thanks for the pics.....but as for the looks of the 2010, all I can say is yikes! Seems like they were going for the mini-Sequoia look with this thing, and just like the Sequoia this model looks worse than the one that preceded it IMO.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    my thought is that toyota should of put projectors and led lights all around. If i get one I will convert all the bulbs to leds. Toyota probably will add these on later versions of this 5th generation toyota.

Comparing this new 4runner to the highlander, the fj, the lexus gx, this thing has best bang for buck! All nearly same size, similar price. Was focused on highlander, but not anymore! Cant wait to get my hands on this baby
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    Sorry for my stupid question...

I have been waiting for the 2010 new 4Runner for quite a while. This could be my first SUV. Basically I am looking for an SUV with some off-road ability, which can handle snow, rain, unpaved road/trails, and other non-extreme road conditions. For my current budget, it looks like the SR5 edition (4x4 V6) is the best among those three trims. Comparing the specs between them, I found none of them has the "Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD)"; SR5 doesn't have the "Full-time 4WD with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and locking center differential" as in the Limited; nor does it have "Locking rear differential, Multi-terrain select and Crawl Control" as in the Trail.

So my question is if the SR5 just looks tough or it is actually still a tough SUV comparing those popular crossovers. Thank you for any information!
    Like most people, I drive my 4-Runners 80%+ of the time on the highway in snow and ice conditions and simply clear roads. The AWD is the best configuration for those conditions, which is now only in the Limited. If you are truely driving off road most of the time, the trail edition is the best choice, but few people in the US do so. The SR5 is solely to advertise a low entry price especially the 4 cyl. Hopefully someone will do road tests with both configurations to put data behind this opinion.
  • jfn1000jfn1000 Member Posts: 40
    I agree with you Tangman. I have a 2004 4runner SR5 that I bought new. It has the v8 and full time all wheel drive, which is great for the variety of conditions I drive in the Northeast US. The vehicle has unbelievable performance in wet or snowy conditions. I had been waiting for the new generation to replace my aging 4runner. I will not be buying one for two principal reasons: lack of full time all wheel drive (except on too pricy Limited), and insufficient tow rating on the v-6 (I occasionally tow boat/trailer combo in the 6,000 lb range). I guess I'll be keeping my 04 for now.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Yes, Purple Ostrich accents are available!

I'm more of a Pink Leopard type of gal.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Wow!!! Except for being on the west coast, my view is the same owning a 2004 Sport V8. I was going to buy a 2010 to replace the 2004, but it is now on hold. I have purchased 5 new 4-runners, but the new one simply is not configured for my needs. And, the impractical low profile tires on the limited make no sense for a 4x4. Hopefully, Toyota will adjust in a few year. The amount of traffic on the boards also indicates that the interest level may not be that great either from their core customer base.
    Any thoughts?
    In my view, the primary 4-Runner competition is the Kia Borrego. I personally drove the V8 version which is very nice. I just can not see paying $40K+ for a KIA. Plus the track record for the Borrego V8 is short. But if you look solely at function, the Borrego is a nice choice. In my opinion, KIA overpriced it. Toyota will most likely pass some business KIAs way since they still offer the V8 and an attractive looking vehicle with some decent colors.
    kia borrego - you must be joking right? I looked at it. Doesnt hold any value and simply cant trust a brand that hasnt been around that long in suv market.
    My point was just the capability it offers. Concur it does not have a track record. Your are right about KIA resale, but I doubt there are any statistics for the Borrego resale value. It does have a V8 and a better warranty.
    Well, the new 4 Runner doesn't have a track record yet, and the Borrego is interesting from a price/functionality point of view. The V8 six speed auto Borrego also exceeds the 4Runner in several areas. Time will tell on reliability and resale for both Toyota and Kia.
    yes agreed. but 4runner brand has been around for so long. Toyota reliability has already been proven. REsale is another issue, but when gas prices rise, you can bet toyota will hold better than kia
    The 4 Runner interest level appears to be going down, since there is very little dialog even on this board with regard to the new 4-Runner. Reliability, and resale price are clearly still in Toyota's court. I am a 4-runner fan owning 5 of them. But KIA is putting new technology on the sales floor, v8, 6spd, etc in a nice package with a 100K warranty and a few exciting colors. Toyota is giving KIA an opening. And you can bet the price will be high almost $40K for any decent configured 4-Runner. I know of at least 3 people who were going to buy a new runner when they came out, and now have decided to wait based on the offering conveyed to date.
  • pradodriverpradodriver Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas how much a lease on a 2010 4runner will be? Someone on a previous thread mentioned that Toyota might upgrade the residuals on the new 4runner given the strong used car market and history of strong resale value, meaning there ought to be some good lease deals. Anyone else have any updates on this?
  • brandonWIbrandonWI Member Posts: 26
    Bad news on the lease front. I was all set to lease a 2010 to replace my 2006 4Runner 4x4 SE but then got the prices :mad:

I paid less than $400/month for my last 2 4runners both leased for 3 years, no money down with 15K miles/year. I priced out a 2010, the limited came to $690 and the SR5 with leather just over $600......yikes! The dealer was even giving me about $2K off sticker on each. So now I am stuck waiting until I can buy one or until lease prices come down. For poops & grins, I even priced out a 2010 Lexus RX350(List price about $43K), and it was cheaper.

I dont see lease prices being as affordable as they used to with banks still fighting the economical issues.
    Had a similar experience with my dealer on a 2010 SR5 w/ premium package. Gonna wait and see if Toyota offers any incentives.
  • dakotaokdakotaok Member Posts: 5
    I want to buy a new 4Runner. Has anyone started negotiating with a dealer on price? I'm either going to order one or buy one when they arrive. Still waiting to hear about allocations in my area.
    Gulf States dealers should all be receiving One on this allocation. I dont know of any dealers receiving any more than that at this point. We are getting a Black Limited 2wd with the following port installed options:

NV Voice-Activated Touch-Screen
    - Navigation System with JBL AM/FM/MP3
    - 4-Disc CD Changer (Replaces 6-Disc CD
    - Changer), Integrated XM NavTraffic
    - (Includes 90-Day Trial Subscription), and
    - Integrated Backup Camera (Replaces Mirror
    - Integrated Backup Camera Monitor)
    WT Window Tint
    RD Toyota Roadside Assistance
    - (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles)
    O5 Owner Rewards Package
    - Cargo Cross Bars
    - Remote Engine Start
    - Premium Carpet Mat Set
    - Carpet Floor Mats
    - Rear Cargo Mat
    - Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip
    - Cargo Net
    - Wheel Locks
    AU Toyota Auto Care

MSRP: $41,377

In regards to leasing, I dont have any residuals yet, as I havent received the invoice, but I should be able to figure a lease on it that is 100% accurate in just a few days. I definitely dont want to guess beforehand.

We will have a white 2wd Limited here to look at on Tuesday (Nov. 3).... However, we may have our inbound stock unit here by then too! It is at the Vehicle Processing Center and may land by this weekend; if not, it should be here Monday or Tuesday.

I hope I've been of some help! As always, if you want me to check into something for you - dringler@donringlertoyota or dringler@donringlerchevrolet (the chevy acct goes straight to my phone, so I check it more often!)

Donnie Ringler

Don Ringler Toyota
    NICE! :) lol
  • jeffo7jeffo7 Member Posts: 2
    I visited a northern WI dealer and was told the 2010 4-runner trail can only be purchased by special order. None will be sitting on the lot. Forget seeing/driving one. This came in a memo from Toyota according to the salesman.
    That's strange. It may be true, but I've never heard of a constraint on vehicles that would allow them to be only special order. Again, their region could be different...

I dont know about other regions, but right now there are no Trail 4Runners allocated to any dealers in Gulf States Toyota, only SR5 and Limited 4Runners.

When they do come out, I would imagine that dealers will want to get them just as badly as customers.
  • sky19sky19 Member Posts: 2
    Well folks, here is the latest as promised. I schedule a visit at a dealership in MD on 26 Oct to see the new 4Runner (Limited model). A Toyota district rep was bringing one by for the dealer to look at. Surprisingly, they let me take it for a long test drive! First of all, the vehicle looks much better in person than it does in the pictures. Yes, it is more "box" shaped than recent models but it has nice lines and the interior is much better, and well equipped. Even though the overall dimensions of the vehicle increased slightly, the interior seems much larger (i.e., more hip, shoulder, and leg room, although the head room seems unchanged. The seat is the same size / design and still offers very little thigh support (for tall people like me) but it is a bit more comfortable that the previous models. Handling was good on road, through corners and it feels excellent on rough streets well (obviously, I wasn't able to take it off-road). Wind noise has been reduced considerably. My biggest complaint though was the engine power. I currently have a 2004 4Runner Limited and the new model seems to have much less "pick-up" than my model, even though the horsepower has supposedly been increased for 2010. I don't think Toyota compensated enough in horsepower on the new model for the increase in weigh. To put it bluntly, it accelerated like a tired "dog". It felt like I was pulling a 5000 lb trailer. The lack of sufficient power alone was enough for me to make up my mind immediately... I was not going to buy one (even though I have been looking forward to "upgrading" to the new model for months)! I was VERY disappointed : (
    Toyota, I think you blew it "big time" on your selection of the engine and by eliminating the V8 as an option.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    This could be the dealer's way of saying they really don't expect to sell many. Hate to say it, but Toyota blew it on this one!
    0-60 time is supposedly 8 seconds on the new 4runner. Thats pretty good for this suv. It may seem like less pickup due to less torque.

here is an excerpt from a 2003 4runner review
    " choice of two drivetrains is offered for the new Toyota 4Runner. A new, all-aluminum muscle-bound 4.0-liter V6 puts out 245 horsepower and 282 pound-feet of torque, numbers that would've been impressive for a V8 of that size not too long ago. It comes mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. Our tester had a V8, the same "i-Force" 4.7-liter mill used in the Land Cruiser, Sequoia and Tundra, not to mention a couple of Lexus models. A five-speed automatic gearbox comes with the eight. Although it corrals 10 less horses (235), it pumps out a stout 320 lb-ft of twist, which is more telling as it's torque that allows a vehicle to jump off the line and level hills with ease. And jump our 4Runner did, as it rushed to 60 mph in just 7.6 seconds and ran through the quarter-mile in just under 16 ticks, not bad for a 4,400-pound SUV. Gear changes were typical Toyota — velvety smooth — and the five well-spaced ratios make the most of the V8's power"

so yes the new 4runner is touch slower. but if want speed, you should buy a bmw x5, x6 or another car based suv
  • rsarramirsarrami Member Posts: 47
    Hi Sky19:

Were you test driving the 4 or 6 cylinder? Was it a 2 WD or 4WD?

wrt lack of availability on Trail, I am not surprised what so ever. Toyota has pigeon hole the buys into categories and have decided what level of refinement their Character would choose. I disagree.

I personally would not buy the Trail because of the looks (black this and that, fake scop hood, no rear bumper, no integrated running board to cover the frame) no avaliable leather, all season tires, beige interior (and black for Limited !). To make things worse you can’t even buy the X-RES or KDSS as an option on SR5. Can somebody tell me why?

Toyota could have simply offered an off-road package on SR5 and Limited. The SR5 and Limited do NOT even come standard with skid plates. Is this to say that these two trims are not off road capable? Characterizing the consumers again?

Really, how many of us care for Smart Key, button on the gate for glass, 4 cd changer instead of a hard drive and ipad docking station, backup camera on the tinny mirror that you can hardly see.

Offering smart package choices to the consumer will only increase their sales instead of ramming them options which they fully know consumers would often opt out for. They could simply package these options and see how many people would buy it.

Toyota has managed to maintain the reliable image as well as the decade old design and packaging decisions. Just compare the designs with Nissan models and you will see foryour self.

I would have love to see/own a Toyota designed by Nissan.
    Replying to: jeffo7 (Oct 29, 2009 11:21 am)

This could be the dealer's way of saying they really don't expect to sell many. Hate to say it, but Toyota blew it on this one!

I doubt this is the case. When a new vehicle comes out, the supply is always limited. I imagine that every dealer would take as many as Toyota would give them. I know I would! lol
    I was hoping for a smaller vehicle than the Sequoia for towing my 4600lb. bassboat, but without the V8 I guess the 4Runner will be a real dog. A 6speed tranny and a V8 would help a lot!
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I would have love to see/own a Toyota designed by Nissan.

I chose the 2005 4Runner over the 2005 Pathfinder and the Venza over the 2009 Murano. The Nissans were great; very competitive, but the Toyotas were the better pick for me. YMMV.

Nissan interiors have become a lot better generation-over-generation, versus the 4Runner's debatable decline (for example, hard dash plastic on the 5th Gen).

Really, how many of us care for Smart Key, button on the gate for glass, 4 cd changer instead of a hard drive and ipad docking station, backup camera on the tinny mirror that you can hardly see.

I do. Those are features that are becoming common -- maybe even expected. I wish they added a power liftgate as well, though it probably has something to do with the space the mechanism would require.

The funny thing about option packages is that there's no way to satisfy everyone. Packaging options minimizes variation, particularly for a relatively low-volume vehicle like the 4Runner. The difficulty is finding the optimum groupings that will satisfy the most buyers. No matter what, you won't fulfill every possible need.

They could simply package these options and see how many people would buy it.

That's exactly what they did. They packaged options and now we'll see if they made the right decisions. Just because they didn't package it the way you wanted it doesn't mean that they made the wrong decisions.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    Since Toyota is suffering in the marketplace like every other car maker, I think the "bean counters" made the decisions. Not offering skid plates on the SR5 and Limited? I guess these two models are not has tough as the Trail and will break if you take them off-road? I am kidding of course, but this is PURE COST-CUTTING AT IT'S BEST!
    So would I! Nissan designing a toyota would be a dream. I hate the way nissan puts cvt in all its cars. Nissans in general drive better and handle better than a toyota, but toyota holds it value better and is likely to live longer than the nissan. IF they made the Murana a touch bigger, on a frame, and did away with the cvt, would of probably bot it. 4runner is on my list however now. Was interested in highlander vs venza, but want more rugged vehicle
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    Option packages is not about to satisfay a group of users. It is a way to sneak in thoes higher margin or less wanted stuf thereby maximize the profilt.
  • jimmyatljimmyatl Member Posts: 1
    The interior looks nice though.
    Option packages is not about to satisfay a group of users. It is a way to sneak in thoes higher margin or less wanted stuf thereby maximize the profilt.

Maximizing profit is the name of the game, isn't it? The flip side of that is if a manufacturer packages options incorrectly and no one buys the vehicle for whatever reason, they have to discount and eat into their profit (or even lose money). There is an incentive for them to balance customer needs with the way they package options -- if people don't buy, they make zero profit.

I still prefer what Toyota and Nissan do with options versus what Honda does. Honda makes everything standard (no factory options) on a per model basis. Do you want leather? No choice, you have to get the EX-L model with a moonroof. Want Bluetooth? No choice, you have to get the EX-NAV model with a navigation system. That's packaging at the extreme, IMHO.
    There are exceptionally few new 4-runners on the lots. The strategy may be to limit supply to keep the price up. They keep the lower price by reducing the content of the vehicle (remove LED tail lights, skid plates, etc). Realistically, I think Toyota is trying to drive 4-runner buyers to the lexus line, which will substantially increase their profits per vehicle. All the things many of the current 4-runners want (6 spd trans, V8) are likely to show up on the new lexus 460/470. The bottom line is that their core objective is profit, not necessarily the vehicle most of their customers want.
    All the things many of the current 4-runners want (6 spd trans, V8) are likely to show up on the new lexus 460/470. The bottom line is that their core objective is profit, not necessarily the vehicle most of their customers want.

When the 4th Gen first launched, according to the review in USA Today, Toyota estimated that 70-80% would take the V6. I'd be interested in knowing what the actual split between 4th Gen V6 and V8 sales turned out to be. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was close to Toyota's estimate.

Toyota is betting that the 5th Gen 4Runner has the combination of features that most of their customers want at a price that most of their customers would pay. That's how you maximize profit.
  • dpr1dpr1 Member Posts: 7
    I will bet that Toyota will offer the V8 in 2011 or 12. I have a V8 05 and cannot see moving back to a V6 5 speed, especially in Colorado. The extra weight on the 2010 combined with the altitude in the mtns would make this a tough sell. Go to the 4Runner thread on TundraSolutions -- some interesting and relevant info.