Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

prypry Member Posts: 1
A dealer told me the 4Runner was being redesigned for next year. When are we going to see some pictures?

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I kinda doubt it. Sales are down and still falling - this is a doomed segment. Plus they let the last model run for seven years with only minor revisions, whereas this one has only run for five so far. There may be a new model for model year 2010, would be my guess.

Besides, you're right, we would have heard something about it by now. And Toyota is slowing down development of ALL its new models right now to get quality control back in line.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    There may be a market for a new, larger 4Runner. I have a 2002 Sequoia and will be looking for a new SUV with off road capability. As the 2008 Sequoia will be based on the new larger Tundra platform, the speculation is that the redesigned Sequoia will also be larger. My present Sequoia is a little larger than I need, but I can squeak it into my garage. I won't buy a larger Sequoia. What I would really like is a 4Runner that would be Ford Explorer size, and have 2nd and 3rd row seats that fold flat.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    The dealer was wrong. If it was being redesigned for next year, we'd already be seeing pictures for it.

The current Land Cruiser is a much older design and it is only now being replaced in the 2008 model year. There have been spy photos of the new Land Cruiser floating around for six months plus.

The 4Runner is a much newer design than the current Land Cruiser and it recently had a mild refresh, so it is going to be a couple years before we see a new one.
  • kansashickkansashick Member Posts: 39
    "The dealer was wrong. If it was being redesigned for next year, we'd already be seeing pictures for it. "

Wrong. The spy shots are now on the web. It looks like the new 4runner will come out as a 2009 model. This is a year later than my dealer told me 12 months ago.
    they downsize it. The '02 was just right for size. And if it were a little less porky it might drink a little less gas too. Please, Toyota, dump the third row!

Hey, so where are these spy pics on the web? Links please! We all want to see! :-)

Edit...here's a link to a couple of pics. This thing kinda looks like a stretch Land Cruiser, can this really be the next 4Runner? Why bother even having a Sequoia then?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-4runner-lexus-gx-future.html

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Another rumor is the new gen 4Runner will be assembled in the U.S.
    I heard that too. That would be good for Toyota I guess, although I kinda like the fact that they still come from Japan today. I remember years and years ago, the first Runner I ever had had a little sticker in the back window that said "Made in Japan. To be removed by consumer only".

• tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    I wonder if the rising value of the yen against the dollar might have something to do with moving production to the U.S. Our 4Runner was built and priced in Aug. '07 when the dollar was fetching 124 yen.

As of this posting five months later our greenback is worth only 107 yen, almost a 14% drop.
  • junglejimjunglejim Member Posts: 18
    The 4Runner will be redesigned for the 2010 model year (it will come out Fall of 2009). Toyota has been running all of their SUV's 7 years.

Rumors have it that the next generation will be assembled in the U.S.. I wouldn't be surprised if it took Toyota longer to get it geared up for production in the U.S., thus pushing it back to 2011. There are other vehicles higher on Toyota's priority list.
  • jmaier1jmaier1 Member Posts: 1
    the new 4runner has been out in Indinesia for most of this year already...known as the Frontrunner....It looks like a cross between the new Acura MDX and the current 4runner..nice care........why the delay for the US markets???

over there you can also get it in a stick and 2.7
    Rumor is, the next-gen Runner might not be sold in the U.S....

• blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    I hope that is not the case. I have a 2002 Sequoia. The new sequoia is just too big for my needs. I have been hoping that the new 4Runner would be a little larger and retain its off road capabilities.
    Well gas is pricey, the FJ is definitely gone after this generation, and I think Toyota figures Highlander will absorb many 4Runner buyers (which is indeed what it is doing now) and those that really need to tow will buy a Sequoia.

• gdtrfb53gdtrfb53 Member Posts: 2
    "the new 4runner has been out in Indinesia for most of this year already...known as the Frontrunner....It looks like a cross between the new Acura MDX and the current 4runner..nice care........why the delay for the US markets???"

Are you sure about the name? I just got back from Dominican Republic, and they had Fortuners all over the place there. I'm pretty sure that it is not the replacement for the 4Runner. The Fortuner is based on the HiLux pickup, which seems to slot between the Tacoma and the Tundra size-wise; all of the Fortuners and HiLuxes that I saw had 2.7 liter turbo diesels. Here's a link with pictures:
    http://www.toyota.co.id/cars/index.php?Model=Fortuner
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    I visited a number of Toyota dealers this week end. Most said that the redsigned 4-Runner will be released in 2010. I have heard this for the 4-Runner and it Lexus counterpart. Yet, I have not seen or heard any clues on what it will look like, other than in this thread. Anyone else hearing the same rumour?
    I haven't heard that rumor, and fully expect them to drop the 4Runner after its current model run ends.

The option would be to decrease its size a little to get weight down, and give it a diesel or potent hybrid powertrain. I don't expect Toyota to want to put that kind of investment into it.

Me, I wouldn't mind seeing it go back to its roots - a primitive truck closely related to the Tacoma, with some seats and a removable top behind the cab. And a fuel-efficient 4-cylinder. But heck, Toyota doesn't even offer the four with the Tacoma double cab, no way they would take that route with a redesigned 4Runner.

I think 4Runner is done for after 2009.

Toyota could simply sell the Fortuner in the US market since they are already selling it in asia. It is supposedily a world platform for Toyota. So it is a matter of changing the name and small adjustments for the US market ??????
  • thaitanium15thaitanium15 Member Posts: 1
    "the new 4runner has been out in Indinesia for most of this year already...known as the Frontrunner....It looks like a cross between the new Acura MDX and the current 4runner..nice care........why the delay for the US markets???

over there you can also get it in a stick and 2.7"

I'm sorry but what you're thinking of is the Toyota Fortuner. It is the SUV variant of the Toyota Hilux pickup truck (Hilux Vigo to be more precise). In Thailand it comes with a 2.7 gas engine or a 3.0 D4D commonrail diesel that does mid 20's mpg.

I'm sorry to break it to all of you but it is highly unlikely that the Fortuner will be the next 4Runner (Hilux Surf in Asia). The Fortuner is not built as luxurious as the 4Runner but generally speaking is tougher due to the Hilux frame etc. Also I speculate that the Fortuner itself is due for a remodel soon. It has been in production since 2005.
  • devilrunner04devilrunner04 Member Posts: 7
    do you know anything about this new update 4runner?? have they sent you any specs on it or pictures?
  • devilrunner04devilrunner04 Member Posts: 7
    i talked to a toyota dealer. He saw the same spy shots..said it looked more like a lexus..and besides these came out 2 years ago. I doubt that it is the next gen 4runner.
  • donringlerautodonringlerauto Member Posts: 27
    I really dont have much more info right now, other than its scheduled to launch in October of this year - of course that could change, but that's what was on the launch schedule I just received.

In regards to the styling, I saw that FJ Runner at Gulf States Toyota's annual dealer meeting last year and a couple other shows, but they never said thats what it would be, just what a concept might be...

I have heard that it is probably going to become more of a 'niche' vehicle with a sportier look, and with that probably comes less production. With Toyota having so many SUV types (Rav4, 4Runner, Highlander, FJ, Sequoia, Land Cruiser) each one has to reach a little different audience, otherwise you're just cannibalizing your sales. However, maybe it will be totally different - Who knows what it will look like!

I dont think I'm really a whole lot of help right now. Truth be told - they dont let the dealers in on a ton of inside info!

There's a meeting in Dallas later this month in which I might gather more information on it. If I find anything out that might be of interest, I'll certainly let you know!
  • brandonWIbrandonWI Member Posts: 26
    donnie,

thanks for keeping us informed. I too am waiting anxiously to see/buy the 2010 4runner as my lease on my 2006 is up soon. I have also heard Toyota may hault production on the 2009's and maybe release the 2010 over summer possibly? From a dealers perspective, does Toyota still plan on leasing SUV's throughout the year and also, I already extended my 2006 lease 6 months, any chance they will allow me to keep it any longer?

Thanks!
    Brandon
    Just got back from the meeting we had yesterday. I didnt get a TON of new info, but I'll share everything that I did get.
    - 2010 4Runner still on track to launch in October of this year
    - Will offer a 3.5L V6 and a 4cyl (very small % of production)
    - No immediate plans for a V8
    - Will be more of an Offroad "Guys" type vehicle in regards to styling
    - Will still be Body on Frame, and one of the last of its kind since many other mid-sized SUVs are going to a unibody (ie: Chevy Traverse vs Chevy Trailblazer, etc)

This is about all that I could gather.

Brandon, in regards to your questions:
    Toyota is still very much in the leasing business and has no intention of backing out of it from what I can tell. They are a financially strong company and Toyota vehicles still have strong residuals so leasing is still a smart way to drive one.

In regards to your lease, you would need to contact your financial representative with Toyota to see about that. I imagine the number on your monthly statement would be the way to go.
    RE: "I haven't heard that rumor, and fully expect them to drop the 4Runner after its current model run ends.

The option would be to decrease its size a little to get weight down, and give it a diesel or potent hybrid powertrain. I don't expect Toyota to want to put that kind of investment into it.

Me, I wouldn't mind seeing it go back to its roots - a primitive truck closely related to the Tacoma, with some seats and a removable top behind the cab. And a fuel-efficient 4-cylinder. But heck, Toyota doesn't even offer the four with the Tacoma double cab, no way they would take that route with a redesigned 4Runner.

I think 4Runner is done for after 2009. "

Optional 4-cylinder engine is predicted (limited supply) for the 2010 4Runner coming out in October!
    Donnie,
    Thanks for the info, I am a bit dissapointed that the 2010 has no plans for the recently announced 4.6L V8 going into the Tundra/Sequia.

I have the V8 now and love it. Any idea if its the same 3.5L V6 used in the Highlander & etc? What about a 6spd tranny?

Sorry for all the questions, very curious!

Brandon
    Optional 4-cylinder engine is predicted (limited supply) for the 2010 4Runner coming out in October!

Whenever Toyota says "limited supply" they mean they will produce a few dozen for poorer regions of the country as a price leader. Almost certainly in 2WD only. I hope they have figured out a way to remove at least 500 pounds from its curb weight, or else that 4-cylinder engine is going to be more outmatched than the 22RE was under the hood of the 1990 model 20 years ago.....

Im not sure about either. All of the info that I got was in my previous post. If/When I find out more I will certainly post it!
    "Whenever Toyota says "limited supply" they mean they will produce a few dozen for poorer regions of the country as a price leader. Almost certainly in 2WD only. I hope they have figured out a way to remove at least 500 pounds from its curb weight, or else that 4-cylinder engine is going to be more outmatched than the 22RE was under the hood of the 1990 model 20 years ago..... "

I'm sure they'll produce more than a few dozen! They want to sell as many as they can, so they'll probably produce them in a ratio (4cyl:6cyl) that coordinates with the projected demand for each. The projected demand for a 4cyl 4runner is probably a lot smaller, so they'll probably produce less. I'm sure if they saw a big demand for a 4cylinder with 4wheel drive they'd produce them. We can only wait and see!
    The more I think about the 3.5L V6 going into the 4runner the more I feel confused. For one, if its the same motor from the Highlander/camry, thats a car based motor for light duty not offroading & towing. Second, Toyota has basically always had a seperate engine family for their truck based vehicles hence the current 4.0L used in the 4runner now. I can't see them targeting the "off road" guy group with a rugged looking truck on a truck/ladder frame and then putting the camry motor in it?

I have a call into my dealer(i know the sales manager) to see what he has heard also and am attending the Milwaukee auto show tomorrow and will see what I can dig up.

Putting a small 4cyl in this vehicle and a downgraded V6 with no V8 option seems silly to me?

hmmmmm.....
    Who knows at this point. Im just relaying the info I got :)

Let me know if you find out anything from your dealer and/or the auto show.

Would you like some little (not so significant) info?
    the overfenders on the 6cyl will be painted
    the overfenders on the 4cyl will be black.

Again, just what I've heard...
    I do appreciate your info!

I guess I am hoping they just did not reveal all the facts to you yet :)

I will see what I find out at the auto show tomorrow and hope to hear back from the dealer very soon also.

Take care,
    Brandon
  • junglejimjunglejim Member Posts: 18
    "Toyota has basically always had a seperate engine family for their truck based vehicles hence the current 4.0L used in the 4runner now."

I agree. It doesn't make sense that they would keep this a full frame truck, yet put a car engine in it. The current V6 in the 4Runner is designed for extra torque. What good is a truck without the torque?

Toyota is smart. It knows how to use "select" rumors. They just might want to get people to buy up all the V8's that aren't currently selling ;-)
    Based on the rumours, the direction appears down the Fortuner route. Rugged and smaller engine are all Fortuner attributes. Really, all they need to do is slap another emblem on it and a nicer interior, and it is ready for the US market based on the indicators provided so far. Perhaps we will even hear about a manual transmission. Maybe they can go off the deep end and offer some bright colors too.
    At the Milwaukee auto show, the Toyota rep told me he has heard they are seeking a more basic less "luxury" type SUV. They said the interior should be larger than the Highlander but offer less goodies and maybe smaller engine choices this time around considering the current 4runner was never really meant for a V8 to begin with. He also said it was postoned to around November of 2009.

Looks as if they maybe want to combine some of the FJ's design cues with the current model and phase out the FJ to keep just the 4runner.

Only time will tell, I hope it doe snot become to "rugged" , I need leather & heated seats this time around :)
    I'm glad you got to go to the show and get more info! ...and thanks for letting us know.

PS - if they don't have leather and heated seats, you can have them both added for around a grand! (maybe less depending on where you get 'em)
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    "considering the current 4runner was never really meant for a V8 to begin with". Whaaaat? Had there been any V8's available when I bought mine I would have jumped on that. V8's were hard to get early on. Many of us have our 6 and 7 year extended warranties expiring this year or next, and Toyota would be foolish to get rid of the V8 as most everyone I know with the V6 would get the V8 next time around.

All in all, I was hoping the redesigned 4Runner would have rear IFS and a cold weather package like the Sequoia. Less road noise would be welcome too, as my 2003 version has horrible interior road noise. But there's still hope as nothing appears to be official, yet.

Toyota also badly needs to revamp how they're optioning the 4Runner. If Toyota optioned the 4Runner like they optioned the Sequoia, I'd be a happy camper. 3rd rows in 4Runners are useless, and shouldn't even be on the vehicle except as a customer add-on. I think the 4Runner 3rd row scares away more buyers than it attracts.
  • rjohnson1987rjohnson1987 Member Posts: 5
    My prediction for the 2010 4Runner includes the new 4.6L V8 but I'm sure it will be hard to find, at least initially. I owned a 2003 and 2006 V8 limited and feel that Toyota had a hit with this SUV. It would be very disappointing if Toyota dramatically changes this vehicle as I'm hoping to get the new model when it debuts. More of the same with updated interior and exterior would make a lot of 4Runner enthusiasts happy (in my opinion).
    donnie,

Any new news on the upcoming 4runner redesign? I have not heard a peep, but curious to see if you have.

Thanks!

Brandon
  • alex1911alex1911 Member Posts: 1
    I've been holding out for a 5th Gen and I really hope Toyota doesn't mess things up by offering some of the things mentioned here (smaller, 3.5l as the biggest motor, less lux). I've got a 2003 V8 4WD Limited and love the thing, never a problem in 120k miles. I wish Toyota had sent out some surveys to long time owners to see what they would like in a 5th Gen.

I've like to see a larger V6 or the 4.6l V8 spoken about, even better would be the 5.7l V8 out of the Tundra/Seq, that would fly.

The size of the current 4Runner is perfect w/o being too large or small.

If they start messing with it and putting a lower powered motor and a cheaper interior, then I guess I'll look elsewhere. I really have a hard time believing Toyota would downgrade the motor and interior.

If they get rid of the powered rear window I'm going to be really ticked.
    4-Runner enthusiast/customers are not a significant enough part of the market, so I believe that we will have little influence. If they cared, they would release some information to keep us with Toyota. Unfortunately, the only new designed 4x4 close to the 4-Runner footprint is the Kia Borrego. I own 3 4-Runners but have little hope that the 4-Runner as we know it will continue.
    I still havent heard anything new - just the same as last time. Im ready for it to be here!
    Alex,
    I too am waiting anxiously for the 5th gen 4runner. I have had both a 2003 & 2006 SE 4x4 with V8's. Both have been flawless and loved them! A survey would have been nice for us owners, espeically the core 4runner people who buy them year after year.

I hope the new 4.6L from the tundra makes it in the 5th gen and not some 3.5 L camry based motor. If not, a new truck based 4.0L V6 with maybe 270-280HP would be fine too. From my understanding, there will be more interior room this time around considering the Highlander has it beat in this department. hopefully the overall size stays similar. I have to believe Toyota will keep the 4runner similar in its design considering it has been in development well before the recession and the drop in recent SUV sales. I cant see them cheapening anything up, but rather just improving things here and there as they do to any new model change. Plus the 5th gen will be one of only a handful of true ladder truck frame mid size SUV's left. The rear power window has always been a staple with the 4runner, I doubt it will dissapear, if so, my dog will be very upset that he cant stick his head out:)
    Bummer, they sure keep your folks(dealers) out of the loop. I guess it makes the most sense so they can sell the remaining 2009's before building hype for the 5th gen.

I talked with the Toyota leasing dept. today and they are fairly certain they can extend my lease an additional 6 months(making it my 2nd 6 month extension) to hold me over until the 2010 redesigned one comes out this fall. They claim its decided on a case by case basis but they know a new ones coming out and my previous customer loyalty.

Keep us in the loop if you hear anything else!

Take care,

Brandon
    Check out this link,
    http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48953

It seems the 2010 will appear at NY auto show! It seems as if it will have the 4.0L V6 and the new 4.6L V8.......awesome if its true!

Brandon
  • trdsmokedutrdsmokedu Member Posts: 1
    This information came from Toyota reference website which is consistently very accurate. Looking back to the information from pervious generations, they seem to have their facts together. Here's the link.

http://www.toyotareference.com/4runner#4R

Man I cannot wait to see an image of the new 4Runner.
    Thats great! Im glad more info seems to be getting out there. I just hope that whatever they come out with it meets and exceeds everyone's expectations! Im excited to see if its in the NY show in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see/hear everyone's reactions!
  • ougrad1ougrad1 Member Posts: 1
    FYI, that information was an April fools joke. No new news on the 2010 4runner. Belief is it will be revealed next week at the NY auto show but don't hold your breath. Toyota is either doing a great job covering up for anticipation or there may be some dissension going on behind closed doors with the vehicle...I hope it's the former. One of my concerns is with the economy and demand being so weak, they may cut corners on the 5th gen of the 4runner. To me, that would be a big mistake and would really alienate a very loyal fanbase, albeit probably financially strained, and tarnish the Toyota brand. You're already seeing cracks in the Toyota name with more recalls and QA issues in the past few years.

I love the 4runner and hope they get it right...my family has bought 4 toyotas in the past 13 years and I would like to trade in my current highlander for the new 4runner if it's as well built, reliable and functional as the previous versions with the usual modern amenities that Toyota has lead the industry in providing.
    Talked to a Toyota dealer sales manager today who said the redesign was coming out mid summer. He claimed not to have any details. Interestingly, in our area they are not discounting the 08 V8 4-Runners any more than they did 6 months ago. There are very few on the lots. Simply not hungry despite the economy. Do others have the same observation?
  • richard85richard85 Member Posts: 4
    Here in San Francisco Bay Area the situation is the same - almost no 4Runner can be found at any dealership. I wonder if Toyota reduced/stopped production a long while ago. If so, that should be a sign of new model on its way. Another sign is no incentives for 4runner anymore - toyota had been offering $2000 over the whole past year or even longer.
  • jonesok1jonesok1 Member Posts: 97
    From Toyota.com: "The Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8 2WD was last redesigned in 2003 and the next major change is expected in 2010."

See http://www.toyota.com/businessfleet/vehicles/4runner/coo_vehicle.html .

Of course, the key word is "expected". No one expected the economic meltdown, either. :cry:

I went to the 2009 NYC auto show. No one at the Toyota display would admit to knowing anything and of course, no 2010 4Runner was on display (they did have a white 2009 model).

GM