Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    All manufacturers have to hit a mpg number (across all lines) mandated by the gov't in future years. A V8 may not be in the planning, as this brings the entire fleet CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) down.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Toyota already has a lot of high milage high sales volume cars, so CAFE is not really a problem since the number of 4-Runner sales are in the noise. The real goal is higher profit margins which is apparent since the production level will be low to keep prices up based on posts in other forums from dealer sales personnel. They are maintaining roughly the same price with substantially less capability and features. And no new technology (6spd trans) for the drive train.
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    Front and rear underbody skid plates (transfer case skid plate on V6 4WD models) - this is standard on all 4runners. where did you see they arent putting this on?
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    I talked to a sales at the dealer in Sunnyvale, CA this afternoon and he told me the original date to have the new 4Runner in stock in late Oct. has been pushed to the end of Nov. He said Toyota is running out of some new parts and would like to have the new 4Runner hitting the market at the same time for all the dealers across the country, so we'll have to wait. Anyone get the same words from your local Toyota dealers and know when I can see them on the lot? Thanks.
    Most dealers now say they will have at least one by the end of November. While I am curious at seeing it for real, the new offering is not as exciting as I expected, thus I changed my purchase plans. I am in no rush and will stay with my 2004 and 1999 for now.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Just saw on the Toyota website that the second row leg room is 32.9 in.?? Is this correct? Thats anout the same room of a Lexus IS. Most SUV's of this size has around 34-35 in.
  • lexus_manlexus_man Member Posts: 2
    Yeah... I got the same response from my local dealer. This was after several salesmen weren't sure whether they had them in stock or not. He said that he had been in touch with Toyota, and as for the east coast, some 2010 4Runners were sitting at the NY Port; however, Toyota biggies want all the dealers to receive them at the same time. Toyota thought that the shipment might arrive at the Port of NY between 11/9 & 11/14 (I have my doubts) then they would be rolled out to the dealers. I think my interest is fading with each passing day. I love my 2005 V8 Limited and fear the 5th gen wont measure up.
    how the heck did this dealer get his hands on this one????????????

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=115401&id=86493124904
  • houtmarkhoutmark Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Donnie. If you get one with Nav, can you check please if the Nav is the current system, or a redesign that can be used while the car is in motion? I am also interested in 2nd row space (seems small from the specs). Have a Ltd 4x4 on order.

Much appreciated,

Mark
  • donringlerautodonringlerauto Member Posts: 27
    I will certainly check. One of ours at the port is a Black Limited with Nav. When it arrives, I'll look into it and post it on here.

I doubt the Nav. will be one that you can use while the vehicle is in motion - that whole safety issue.

This is the best video/pic of the nav I could find, although youve probably already seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux5QOFr9RQ8

It looks like the system is very similar...

In regards to the second row space, I'll look the next time I see one. It seemed ok to me when I sat in the last one, but Im not tall ( around 5'10"). It is nice that the rear seats recline though!
    Because We're Special!

Just kidding. Our Retail Development Manager / Trainer with Toyota is driving one right now. We have a good 4Runner following at our dealership, so he brought it by two different days and let us schedule customers to come and check it out, drive it, etc. That one is a Blizzard Pearl 2wd Limited.

I did receive an e-mail from Toyota last week about the roll-out of the 4Runner. They are having a bit of a supply issue so they've pushed the date back. I really thought we would have received the first one, but it seems that they are holding up the ones that were already produced in an effort to get them to dealers at the same time.

We currently have two at the port in Houston that are waiting to come here, and I received the news on the date that the first one was supposed to ship to us.

Thats really all the news I have on my end... If the 4Runner (in the pics) is back at the store, is there anything you folks would like for me to look at on it and/or take pictures of and then upload? Just let me know!

Donnie Ringler
  • dennis72dennis72 Member Posts: 3
    I'm interested in the Limited 4WD but the 20" tires don't seem like they would be the best for off road travel. I emailed a toyota dealer I have dealt with for several years and asked if he could swap out the 20" tires of the Limited for the 17" tires on the SR5. Here is his response: "I have been pursuing this... unfortunately, the "standard' answer is to have you spend thousands buying new Factory 17" Alloys (and tires) and getting very little value for the 20" wheels and tires you are trading... that's typically the way in works in the Wheels/Tires industry."

"The easy solution is to simply swap wheels/tires from a new SR5 with a new Limited... the problem is that this will significantly alter the accuracy of the odometers - on both rigs - and, could adversely effect the warranties. It also alters the "build spec" of the SR5 we put the 20's on."

He said he was going to contact Toyota regional and see if they had a solution.

Does anyone have information on this issue.

Thanks
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

actually use the above guide to see the actual diff between 17 and 20 inch tires. Both sr5 and limited have same body so how could swapping these tires void warranty? Silly whoever said that. If you put a dramatically different tire on, (like a 23 inch tire with width of 305!), yes that would affect warranty, because now you are putting more load on suspension system and stress, that would cause premature tire and suspension failure. Both 17 and 20 inch tires that toyota uses have very little size difference and revs/mile. Yes if you want offroading put 17 inch tires as they provide more cushion for blows you may encounter.
    someone here said limited wont come with skid plates. is that true?
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    The dealer in Honolulu has had several SR5 2WDs on the lot since mid-October. They initially said Limiteds and Trails would trickle in at the end of October, but when I checked last week, they weren't sure when they would arrive now.

I haven't had a chance to test drive one (was offered, but declined since I didn't have time), but I did sit in an SR5. Was a bit disappointed with the hard plastic dash, but at least it looked decent in person. Will wait to see a Limited with leather (which I assume also replaces the hard plastic on the door panel with vinyl, at least from the photos) before making further judgement.
  • rsarramirsarrami Member Posts: 47
    I have the specs from Toyotra Canada. Canadian version of SR5 and Limited will not have the skit plate. I have confirmed that they can be ordered and added.

Cost was unknown at this point.
  • rsarramirsarrami Member Posts: 47
    I believe your dealer has misinformed you. The body on both vehicles are identical with the same wheel whale. The total heights of both tire sets are identical. Therefore the odometer will not be affected. The only element with needs to be changed is the tire pressure monitor. Adjustment is easy to facilitate changes tire from season to season or for special activities.

SR5 and Trail have 265/70R17
    - 265 millimetre in width (10.4 inches)
    - 70% of 265 in wall height which is 185.5 Mil (7.3 inches)
    - 17” rim
    => Total height 17” + 7.3” + 7.3” = 31.6”

SR5 and Trail have 245/60R20
    - 245 millimetre in width (9.6 inches)
    - 60% of 245 in wall height which is 147 Mil (5.8 inches – 1.5” less wall than SR5)
    - 20” rim
    => Total height 20” + 5.8” + 5.8” = 31.6”
  • swtsaeswtsae Member Posts: 3
    Are the 2010 4runners out on the street yet? I took a picture of a white SR5 one by my house parked out in front of a kids soccer field back in October (Oct 30th). I was guessing they were out if I saw that one? Available yet?
    very dissappointed that toyota cuts corners when it clearly says on website that all versions have skid plates. not that I really will do any offroading, but still would like to have them!
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I think we need to step back and define "skid plate."

According to the Toyota 4Runner (US) specs, the SR5 comes standard with engine and fuel tank skid plates. The SR5 V6 4x4 has an additional transfer case skid plate.

Or are we talking about this type of accessory skid plate, as shown on the 2009 model?
  • ralphpolo88ralphpolo88 Member Posts: 1
    I have a silly question. I called a dealer, that I am most likely going to buy from, at the end of October about the new 4runner. He said he'd call back regarding availability, but I have yet to hear from him. Since I called, the dealer arrival date has been pushed back and another dealer said they would roll out the 3rd week of Nov. Should I call my salesman back or just wait around, hoping he didn't forget?
  • matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    So I stopped in the shiny new Naperville,IL Toyota dealership to check out the new 4Runner. The salesman circling just inside the entrance said that the delivery date was pushed back into December because of wire harness problems. Has anyone else heard of this? If this is true, does it lend credibility to the logic of not buying a new model in its first production year? I was hoping that this would be the successor to my 14+ years of Jeep Wranglers.
    wire harness problems? what in the world are you referring to please?
    How the heck would the dealer know that? Toyota is admitting a problem already before it even hit showrooms? very strange
    Yassy,

We've been told that it is merely a supply issue on some new parts. They should be shipping out in a few days!

- Donnie
  • jonesok1jonesok1 Member Posts: 97
    Any news about when Trail Editions will be shipping? Or Salsa Red models?
  • waltzonicewaltzonice Member Posts: 7
    According to a cars.com inventory search, there's 115 of these at various dealers around the country, but none here in the Denver metro area.

I'm still trying to decide between the 2009 Kia Borrego and the 2010 4Runner. With the great deals and rebates currently offered on the Kia, it's like $10k difference for similarly equipped vehicles. That would buy a lot of gas!!
    jonesok1 - I don't know how accurate it is, but cars.com shows there is a Salsa Red one at Toyota of Lewisville in Texas priced at $40,744. Does not say if it's a Trail or Limited.
    Got this at noon today:

"As anticipated, your dealership should receive a 2010 4Runner by the end of next week. GSTTS began shipment of completed units today."
    It's neither-these guys place ads for cars they don't have, or show models with no mileage as new, and when you call you get the typical bait and switch.

[jonesok1 - I don't know how accurate it is, but cars.com shows there is a Salsa Red one at Toyota of Lewisville in Texas priced at $40,744. Does not say if it's a Trail or Limited. ] :sick: :mad:
    [It's neither-these guys place ads for cars they don't have, or show models with no mileage as new, and when you call you get the typical bait and switch.]

However they did list a stock number and a VIN number so don't know if that is one that they are expecting soon. I have found that other model cars listed on that inventory list has been mostly accurate -- the cars really do exist at the dealers lot.
    They list a 2009 Trail Edition with 0 miles on autotrader and their own site. It's a demo with over 7000 miles. They don't tell you that until you call and get serious. My guess is the same for the Salsa Red. There are not any yet produced, and on Toyota's site says none will be available until "late 2009". Yet the same dealer has one! The games some of these dealers play to get your attention is shameless.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    On the E Coast in CAT our first one was ready to ship to us in Oct. However with 150+/- dealers in the region there weren't enough to go around so rather than ship only to the bigger ones they held them all up so that every store would get at least one at the same time...allegedly today...except for the Nor'easter battering the Atlantic coast.
    In the beginning of a launch there are few if any options to buy. The plant has to make a certain run then ship it before any vehicles are sold. Patience.

The moonroof is an option. If you want a certain vehicle without a moonroof you'll be able to get one but only after this initial rollout period ends. It might be a year or so but I'd safely guess that sometime during this coming year you'll be able to get one without a sunroof. It's been like this for the last 10 years and both of the last two generations. Both generations have been available with and without a moonroof.
    Earlier this year Toyota announced that it was cutting back on imports from Japan to the US because of currency reasons. At 90:1 there is no incentive ( or profit ) in shipping product here. The one exception is the Prius where they are willing to ship a marginally profitable vehicle for a number of reasons.

Combine this with the reaction of the US buying public - when gas went to $4-$5 a gallon 18 months ago - as we stopped buying BOF SUVs almost completely. It's understandable that there's no huge push to ship a lot of 'losers' to the US market right now.

As a result we expect our typical allocations to be reduced by as much as 80% ( !! ) - and we're the largest 4Runner seller in our region. Every other manufacturer is eliminating their midsized BOF SUV model(s) or redesigning it as a crossover. It's very likely that the last one standing will be the 4Runner....in very very reduced numbers.
    no hid lights
    no led tail lights, or leds all around
    no lock on gas cap
    antenna on front passenger side.

maybe i will wait on the new lexus gx!
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    While I don't mind HID lights (can be added on aftermarket) and not really a big deal on the taillights but 1 thing you said I really didnt notice was the antenna (good eyes). Its 2010, why can't Toyota get with it and get an in glass antenna like all the other cars??
  • g0lferg0lfer Member Posts: 14
    I have a two horse trailer that weighs 5100 lbs fully loaded. I have been waiting patiently for the new 4Runner 4x4 to replace my 96 4Runner. Alas, no V8. Can anyone speak to the feasibility and safety of buying the new 4Runner to tow this trailer in the Colorado mountain roads? I will be adding about 600 lbs to the curb weight and figure I will still be about 300 lbs below the GCWR of 11,100lbs. Will it have any guts going up the passes? The other option is to get the Sequoia but I dislike the large size, price, gas mileage, and mandatory running boards. Thanks in advance.
    Until, people really drive them in real world conditions, I do not think you will get a good answer. Torque is key to towing, and the new 4-runner has no improvements there. You may need to consider the KIA Borego, which offers a V8 in a similar body on frame platform or most likely the new Lexus (alot more bucks). Toyota is forcing the current 4-runner base to more expensive models most likely the Lexus if you want the v8 for decent towing. Per previous posts, toyota is cutting alot on the 4-runner, but keeping the price only slightly higher. You can tow with the v6, if you have alot of time on your hands. I would not tow beyond their specs, because if something goes wrong for any reason with your vehicle they will have an excuse not to fix it.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    As someone who tows a 22 foot-5,000 pound travel trailer, I would not buy the new 4Runner for this application. I would buy a 4th generation with the V8. I have an '05 Sport with the V8 and wouldn't want to tow with anything less. Regardless of what Toyota is saying-you need the V8. Also, make sure the hitch will handle a WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING device. This hitch did not come standard on some models in '09!
  • g0lferg0lfer Member Posts: 14
    I appreciate the last two posts. I really wanted a new V8. Unfortunately, there are very few 2009 4Runner v8s or Borrego V8s available anywhere. There has been little to no chat on a new 2010 Borrego which leads me to believe Kia may be discontinuing this model. Lexus only comes in leather and is very pricey. I did not want to buy a truck for daily use and I am concerned about the reliability of American vehicles e.g. Tahoe, Explorer, etc.
    Interestingly, and perhaps dangerously, I have been towing this trailer with my 96 4Runner 3-4 times a year for about 5 years with no trouble, other than lack of power uphill. You would hardly know the trailer is there. No transmission problems. I now have 231K miles. But I really need a replacement. Any suggestions are welcome.
  • dpr1dpr1 Member Posts: 7
    You should continue to look for a 4th generation model with a V8. I cannot imagine trying tow anything up some of the Colo mtn passes with the new V6 configuration. I do not use my 05 V8 to tow anything, but do live in Colo and bought the V8 specifically for the mountain passes. I had a V6 and it had to work very hard to go over the big passes, like Rabbit Ears or Monarch.

Toyota is segmenting the market for this car -- people that tow big items will need to look at the Sequoia, city only drivers will look at the Highlander, and the remaining people will look at the 4R - thus the limited production run on the 4R.

Aside from a few extra gadgets and extra space, I cannot find a compelling reason to buy a new 4R - Toyota eliminated many of the old features that made the 4R a great car, especially the V8. My guess is that most people will not spend over $50k to buy a new GX just for towing. You will likely most of these sitting at a shopping mall.

I would keep looking for a good deal on a 08 or 09 V8. They can be found...
  • sarfbubsarfbub Member Posts: 4
    I picked up an SR5 this afternoon. I love it so far...
    Picked it up in New Castle, DE. The only one delivered (either this morning or late last night).
    Wow, congratulations! Pictures please...
  • embryoembryo Member Posts: 22
    dealer (GA) had a black limited on Wednesday delivered and was sold by the time i got their Thursday night. They had a pearl white sr5 and a grey limited delivered that day. I drove home with the pearl Sr5. drives awesome. I had an 06 runner lease and had no issues with it as well, but this one feels like it drives a little smoother. when i get rid of the crap dunlops i'm sure it will ride even better! and yeah, lease options were very expensive compared to my 0 down 319 mo. in 06 so i purchased but i really planned on purchasing anyhow since i love the runnners and plan on keeping it for the long haul.
    Did you get floor mats or the cargo cover? I didn't get either and they were not available for order yet.
    no cargo cover but it had floormats with the sport option black interior
    Do you mean the sport option with the water resistant fabric-trimmed 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support and 4-way power-adjustable passenger seat? That is the model that I have...but no floor mats.
    yep, thats the one and it came with floor mats. look like the same style mats that were in my 06 runner.
    Congratulations! Our local dealer has them in stock this week. Eager to check it out tomorrow. How does the SR5 drive? Does it have enough power/torque for the quick "pick up" on highway? How's the handling? Mind disclosing your OTD price? Thanks so much!
    i think it drives better than my 06. steering feels firmer. i havent punched it yet...still only 70 miles on it and i typically wont until after 1k miles on it (probably no reason not to...). i have pushed it a little on take off and seemed as responsive as my prior v6. havent had her on the highway yet...will this weekend. it does have an eco light that flashes on and off (kinda irritating). basically anytime i push the gas past inch or so it flashes off. 1k off sticker 4.9 rate 63mo. probably could have haggled but i'm not a patient man and was done with the deal in an hour.