Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• dpr1dpr1 Member Posts: 7
    Finally, I had a chance to see both a SR5 and Limited 4R at a dealer in CO. Nice cars, but the 34k for the SR5 and 45k for the Ltd just did not do it for me. But, I did see a new green FJ and got it for 30k.... So, it wasn't a waste of time. It is a blast to drive and gives me some room to add on some additional features..

I still have a 05 V8 4R and plan to keep this car for several more years. I still wish that Toyota would have put the V8 in the new 4R - this would have made my decision more difficult..

Nevertheless, I really like the new car.
  • waltzonicewaltzonice Member Posts: 7
    "Finally, I had a chance to see both a SR5 and Limited 4R at a dealer in CO."

Where in Colorado? I've been waiting to test drive one.
  • jeff285jeff285 Member Posts: 1
    I was very upset today to find out that there is no opportunity for a V8 in the new 4Runner. I thought it was a mistake on the website and drove to a dealer to confirm it. Although I was in the market for a new one, I drive a 2003, I will not purchase one with a V6. It is too heavy and would not have the same performance. Toyota blew it this time, I can only hope they recognize what they have done and correct it soon.
  • dennis72dennis72 Member Posts: 3
    I test drove a Limited last week. The dealer told me they were disappointed with the acceleration when they first test drove it. Then they realized the vehicle was set to the economy mode (not sure if that's the official name) which gives better gas milage at the expense of acceleration. When they switched this function off it had adequate performance in their opinion which I agreed with after a test drive myself. But, keep in mind I'm still driving a 1999 4Runner V6, and I don't tow anything. I had no problem with the pep in this vehicle.

I didn't buy because I would like several accessories such as running boards and fender flares. One dealer told me these wouldn't be available for 2 months, and another dealer said 3 months. Oh well, I've waited this long...
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    Hi, can you let me know which switch turns off the "economy mode"? I'd like to give it another try. Thanks.
  • foxyesqfoxyesq Member Posts: 26
    A little trick to extend the range of your remote: Hold it against your neck and then press it. Your body will act as an antenna and double or triple the range. Just don't think about the harm the radio waves running though your body will do -- at least your car will be warm. This works with the lock and unlock features on standard remotes too.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Never heard that. What I have heard is to point the remote at your chin and that will reflect and bounce the signal to your car and increase the range.

I think this one is ready for MythBusters. :)
  • embryoembryo Member Posts: 22
    my understanding is the eco/economy light on the dash can be toggled on and off by the "mode" button for the display area. are they talking about something else that will actually change engine performance?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think this one is ready for MythBusters.

Actually, you can test this one yourself. Tune a portable radio to a remote station (crackly and faint). You can detect a change in reception as you move your hand toward or away from the antenna.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dennis72dennis72 Member Posts: 3
    The switch for the economy mode is in the odometer switch area. I can't give a lot of detail because I was trying to keep my eyes on the road as I was test driving the Limited, but pressing this switch several times got me to this function. Sorry, I wish I could be more specific. Hope this helps.
  • stateofmainestateofmaine Member Posts: 30
    my understanding is that the "eco mode" is simply a light on the dash indicating that current operation is most fuel-efficient—not a performance mode of the engine & drivetrain. the dealer saying "When they switched this function off it had adequate performance" sounds like misinformed nonsense… to my knowledge, there is nothing to "turn off" except the light itself.
    I didn't realize I could open my garage door with my transistor radio. :D

Tomorrow I'm going to hold the button on my garage opener and stick my arm out the window from a block away. I guess the neighbors will wonder why I'm waving at my house. If all the car alarms in the neighborhood go off, I'm gonna blame you. ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I didn't realize I could open my garage door with my transistor radio.

Well, yeah! The Mythbusters would just shoot them out of a canon or fill them with C4 - guaranteed to open any garage door. :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • luke150luke150 Member Posts: 16
    They probably just put the shifter in "sport" mode.
  • g0lferg0lfer Member Posts: 14
    I share your grief. I have a 96 4Runner V6 with 232K miles. I have been towing 5100 lbs with this vehicle about 4 times a year and knew I really needed a V8. Nary a hiccup since I have owned it, but it is old. I have been waiting patiently for the new 4Runner V8. What an unbelievable decision by Toyota.
    Therefore, I just ordered a 2009 Kia Borrego V8, fully loaded except no Nav or Chrome wheels. I have to have it shipped from Ohio for about $800 but total price of vehicle was $31640. You get $3000 off as incentive and another $1500 off because of changing from a competitor (Toyota to Kia).
    See ya Toyota; you lost me as a customer..
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    If it is as trouble free as the 4Runner you just saved yourself a minimum of $7,000.00 and you got the V8!

Keep us posted over at the Borrego forum....PLEASE!
    Mountain States Toyota --- They had a white Limited and grey SR5... The white Limited was sold, but the Grey was still available last week (Dec 4th)
    I did pass on the 2010 4F for an FJ and recently spent some time reading the FJ Cruiser Forums.... It did confirm what everyone knows, but does not want to believe -- first year models have issues, even Toyota... The FJ had issues with the fenders, crank shafts and even the seats sagging... I hope they fixed these three years in and maybe the new 4R will not have issues, but there are so many new gadgets on the new 4R that I wonder if this car will be a work in progress before they get it right.
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    kias dont hold any value - they sink quicker than the titanic. reliablity questionable but they have the warranty.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    The new V6 in the '10 has 10 more HP than the V8 in the last 4Runner. I couldn't find any torque numbers for the '10 though.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Looking at the V8 in the GX10 it has 45lb-ft more torque but less HP. That is approx. 15% more torque than the V6.
    kias dont hold any value

Edmunds doesn't have 2010 numbers up yet but the depreciation for the base '09 Borrego is about $500 less over five years than the '09 4Runner base (both 6 cylinder, 4WDs).

You can compare True Cost to Own for five vehicles at a time with the TCO Comparision Tool.

Here's the '09 field of similar models compared (Tahoe, Pilot, Pathfinder, Borrego and 4Runner).
  • husky55husky55 Member Posts: 7
    SR5 2010, we all know the running boards are gone, the antenna is now a wire as it used to be in the ancient days, but I just noticed that the mud flaps are also gone. If you live where mud flaps are needed it's probably a $200 item installed from the dealership.

I definitely need the running boards, does anybody know of a great option since the OEM parts will not be available for a few months.
    The new 4Runner is rated to tow 5,000 pounds. The old V8 was over 7,000 pounds. It also about the torque numbers. The motor revs alot higher on the V6 to get the torque curve.

I will take the V8.
    Doesn't matter if your going to keep the car several years. If you traded after a few years, different story.
    here's comparing the new V6 to my '06 V8… figures clearly show the hp gains and torque loss come at higher RPM… pretty striking, i think.
    2010 4Runner V6: 270 hp @ 5600 rpm, 278 lb-ft. @ 4400 rpm
    2006 4Runner V8: 260 hp @ 5400 rpm, 306 lb-ft @ 3400 rpm
    I am not sure how manufacturers arrive at towing figures. Assuming the new 4Runner frame is not that much different than the previous generation, and the wheelbase being nearly the same, I guess these kind of figures must come in to play.

Clearly, Toyota is going to lose some sales without the V8 offering. I am not sure how many would look at a Tundra, looking to replace their 4Runner.

A few have reported that the results of "a seat of the pants" test drive indicate a slower "feeling" vehicle.

Interesting.......
    the consensus seems to be that Toyota is trying to steer people who really want the V8 towards the new Lexus GX460 (with the 4.6L V8) but it seems like a brain-dead idea. broadly speaking, Lexus owners are even less likely to tow, aren't they? i'm hoping they just made a stupid decision and make the 4.6L V8 an option for the 2011 4Runner.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    The person who purchased the Borego, please keep us posted in the Borego forum. Many 4-Runner owner now want to take a serious look at the Borego especially those wanting the v8. Comparing the two would be appreciated from some who owned a 4-Runner.
    Maybe this will help kick-start the comparisons:

Kia Borrego v Toyota 4Runner
  • g0lferg0lfer Member Posts: 14
    I would be happy to pass along my comparison after I receive the Borrego. I have been a staunch advocate of Toyota for many years but am excited about this car.
    Good luck trying to find a specific model however. The number of available cars is decreasing and no 2010 models are projected for sale in the US. Also, you cannot order a specific model from Kia; only what is available at the dealers.
  • fltrn1212fltrn1212 Member Posts: 3
    Bitchin' car. I do miss my V8 in my 07, but I can live without it. ONLY thing it needs is an electronic liftgate.
  • embryoembryo Member Posts: 22
    i agree. definitely like this one better than my 06. the interior styling was a much needed update as well as the exterior. also miss the running boards but my dealer said they should have them in towards then end of Jan. i will mention as well i have had mine about a month now around 1k miles and no bugs or problems. runs like a champ
    looks like dealers starting to negotiate and work from msrp. lol. give it a few months and they will be working off invoice. demand doesnt look like its there
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    I was shopping and have seen a number of the dark gray SR5s on the lots for weeks. I can not believe that I am considering a KIA Borrego, but on paper they better fit my requirements than the new 4 runner. I am a die hard 4runner fan (owned 5 of them) struggling on this one, between the 4runner reputation and the better spec Borrego. Any more new 4runner owners out there with gas milage results.
  • weber1013weber1013 Member Posts: 2
    Absolutely love it..although I only have 100 miles on it. I ended up paying around 3k under msrp. I just emailed local dealers and had them compete for my business.
  • weber1013weber1013 Member Posts: 2
    Getting around 16mpg all city driving. First tank of gas though.
  • bigb04bbigb04b Member Posts: 2
    I was at the local dealer in Ca and they were trying to tell me ALL Toyota's have "bulging" head/tail lights because of "some new law???"
    So at this point I don't know wether to be mad a Toyota, or the Government for the poor design on the 4Runner's lights. It is as if they designers went to overstock.com and found extra Camry lights to put on it.
    I must admit the 2010 did drive really nice. However, I just can't get over the seemingly 50 pt font on the buttons, the sissy looking tailgate with GIANT 4RUNNER logo, the booring door interior design, and the cheap looking painted plastic on the interior. I was really hoping this redesign would erase the bad taste of the previous gen. Anyone have a cherry 2002 out there ;-) Here is to another 7 years of waiting... :mad:
  • bluetick25bluetick25 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 4Runner SR5 4WD with about 6000 miles. I have been averaging about 20 MPG combined mileage calculating it the old fashioned way. I have noticed that the computer seems to show about 1.5 MPG higher than I am actually getting.
    i assume that your 2009 is a V6, yes?
    it's a real knock against Toyota that they've managed to bork the specs of the 5G 4Runner enough to prompt spec comparisons against a Kia. i think this artificial "no V8, no Torsen (except on Limited)" construct won't last a model year. or maybe i mean i hope it won't… :^)
    I assume there is room for the V8 underneath the hood of the '010?
    wow 3K off msrp! thats amazing. thats close to invoice.
    i too have seen many dark gray 4r's. looking for blizzard limited with 3rd row.

Toyota can fit a v-10 under the hood if they wanted. plenty of room for a v-8. They didnt offer a v8 i guess due to last gas spike to $4/gallon. next time it will hit $6/gallon then the v-8 owners will be hurting
  • sgc58sgc58 Member Posts: 5
    I currently have a 2007 4Runner limited with the V8 and 23K miles. My lease was originally up in December but I extended because I wanted to drive the 2010. I got the chance a couple of weeks ago. I took the truck on the highway and was very disappointed in the lack of torque in the upper range. My 2007 is very responsive and the 2010 was nowhere to being even close. I also average about 17 mpg on the 2007 and that is with city driving. The 2010, I believe is listed at 18 mpg in the city. I believe the V6 vs. the V8 is all about perception to the consumer not reality!
    hear, hear! unless you're driving an insane number of miles every year, the MPG difference between the V6 and V8 is nominal at best. like you, i have 33k on my 2006 V8 Sport Edition and get 17+ (mostly city miles) and was really disappointed by the lack of oomph from the new V6. the 2010 4Runner is even heavier than its predecessor by ~400lbs, so the paltry 10hp gain is completely lost. (plus, it has far less available torque to begin with.)

i think Toyota's "2010 4Runner = V6-only" stance is more PR than practicality, and hope they come to realize their mistake and offer the 4.6L V8 (that's standard on its twin, the Lexus GX460) for the 2011 model year. then i'll definitely pony up and buy one. cha-ching!
    plenty of room, because it was designed to fit a V8 from the start: the engine compartment is identical to the new Lexus GX460—which comes standard with the new 4.6L V8. the lack of a V8 in the new 4Runner was a stupid marketing decision by Toyota.
  • kiddogokiddogo Member Posts: 14
    Have an '06 4Runner Limited and looking to add an '10 Limited. Big issue is the tailgate tray and since I am getting a bit older the lack of a motorized tailgate pull down. Has anyone figured out how to remove the movable tray? Has anyone had success adding a motorized lift gate to their 4Runner.

Thanks in advance
    Paul
  • kansashickkansashick Member Posts: 39
    I am familiar with that trick, holding the fob to the chin actually works best. Toyota and most other car manufacturers deliberately underpower their remotes for liability reasons. The Toyota remote only works to 80 feet.
    14.4 mpg in the first 250 miles; 75% city, 25% highway. I have a lead foot.
    I want to start my car from at least 200 yards away because that is the distance from my office window to where I park my car and I want a warm car into which to nestle my fat american butt. Tested it to 600 yards -- the end of the parking lot.