Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• tay528tay528 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks to both erik10 and stateofmaine for answering my question so quickly.

Started getting internet quotes today on a SR5 with premium package and have gotten good results so far. Test driving this weekend!
  • embryoembryo Member Posts: 22
    there was a shoreline blue limited at the dealer i bought my sr5 from located in north atlanta suburb. very nice looking...
    yes the 4runners are still made in japan and i'm sure that has a lot to do with why dealers don't want to custom order.
    it looks like they still have it in stock www.mariettatoyota.com
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Does the 2010 Trail Edition 4Runner have anything else in the interior besides the so called "water-resistant" seats like say what is in an FJ Cruiser, like rubber or plastic flooring instead of carpeting?
  • stateofmainestateofmaine Member Posts: 30
    nope, just the water-resistant seats. the vehicle is still quite plush otherwise. plush enough that the water-resistant seats might seem a bit out of place (to some).
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    I agree with iseegers (post #558) on all points; my '07 4wd v6 sr5 is coming off lease in April and when I compare it with the '10, I see no reason whatsoever to switch into the new vehicle.
    The exterior styling is interesting, but function is more important to me. And the roof rack cross members are an extra cost add-on?
    Toyota gets a D for this one.

Regards, DQ
  • rsarramirsarrami Member Posts: 47
    where did you buy them from. I live in Canada and they cost an arm and leg.
    For those considering AWD 4runner.

I test drove all three trim. The worst by far was Limited thanks you AWD. It feels very heavy as it is struggling. The basic SR5 felt much better because of rear wheel drive. The trail was the same with much better road handeling and reduced felt bumps thanks to KDSS. Check this site if you wonder how it works, http://www.believe.co.nz/videos/kdss

I recommend those seeking AWD to test and compare this vehicle to others such as MDX, M5 and Q5. While this is an excellent true off-road vehicle, it is a poor one for on-road comparing with crossovers. If off roading is not what you need and cottage country gravel roads, snow and pulling your boat is your game, consider these alternatives.
    i agree...this is a truck platform not a morph from a minivan or sedan like the others.
  • 104runner104runner Member Posts: 11
    Cardinale Way Dealership in Lake Tahoe, CA.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    I've owned the first 3 Generations of 4Runners dating back to 1986, and in fact am still driving the 3rd Gen, 2002 4Runner, which was the last year in that model. I skipped the 4th Gen as I wasn't too keen on the looks, and liked the 3 Gen too much. All have been superb vehicles, and I drive the wheels off them. My 2nd Gen 4Runner had 380,000 mi. on it when I sold it on Craig's List within hours after posting it. Still ran like a swiss watch.

Last night, I was at my local Toyota Dealership (Mike Erdman Toyota) getting an oil change. They stay open till 7:00pm. Whille that work was going on, I went over to the lot and looked at the 2010 4Runners. The only had 2 in stock, A silver Limited and a black SR5 w/cloth seats. These new 4Runners are extremely nice and roomy, and after I got through drooling over them, the sales guy hit me up for a purchase. I'm thinking about it seriously, and the dude called again this morning.

There's a few little peeves I thought Toyota should rethink: Get rid of the sliding cargo holder, put another light in the extreme rear top, add a locking gas lid like they had in ALL the other 4Runners, and put back the electric radio ant. BTW, for anyone wanting to do full time off-roading, my advice is to buy a used 4Runner for that purpose. No way in hell would I buy a new one and take it in the woods to get it all messed up.
  • hikervincehikervince Member Posts: 3
    I'll be interested in the same for the same reasons. I just picked up my new 2010 Salsa Red Trail Edition yesterday, after a series of Isuzu Troopers and a Rodeo. I am worried about all that stuff on the front end, and a good brush guard would be a big improvement. I'd like to minimize the "Arizona pinstriping."
    Thanks - Hikervince
    And it drives poor in comparison with rear wheel drive. Just drive the two and compare. The Trail has the best drive because of the KDSS (less bump on the road and better corner handeling) plus rear wheel drive.

Test drive all three trims before buying.
  • oldguy1oldguy1 Member Posts: 3
    Bought 2010 4Runner SR5 4x2 yesterday. Sales literature, sales people, and owner's manual seem to be a bit slippery on defining the "automatic limited slip differential." Is it a legitimate posi-trac type rear differential, or is really just a marketing gimmick to hide that it is an open differential that wheel slippage is
    controlled by braking/engine management via the "traction control" feature? If so,
    the traction control and automatic limited slip differential are, in reality, one in the same.

Any Toyota factory people out there that can answer?
  • cliffordncliffordn Member Posts: 5
    Hi all, I thought this extended road test now underway of the 2010 4Runner might be of interest. The vehicle is a Canadian model which in addition to having a part time 4WD system also has a center differential so it can be operated in 4WD H on dry pavement (like the Limited here). See my question in the week 4 comments. http://communities.canada.com/driving/blogs/driving/archive/2010/01/21/week-4-20- 10-4runner.aspx
  • fxoffroadfxoffroad Member Posts: 67
    cliffordn - thanks for posting the driving blog of the 4Runner. It's a great read and only reinforces my opinion that the 4Runner is the right vehicle for my needs.

I'm still confused about driving the SR5 in 4H on dry pavement. A week or so ago, I test drove the SR5 (as well as the Limited) and the salesman (a 4Runner owner himself) told me to go ahead and put it the SR5 into 4H while driving on dry pavement... the vehicle operated completely fine/normal even when turning street corners. The only time I experienced binding was when I did a U-turn. Other than that it was fine.

Some on here say no-way, no-how to driving the SR5 in 4H on dry pavement - but it clearly can be done. Who's right? :confuse:

Now, I'm back to being undecided about which 4Runner is best. I want (but don't necessarily have to have) the navigation and the X-REAS seems like a great thing... but that's where the Limited stops for me. The 20" wheels and tires seem lame... and perhaps more costly to swap out than getting an SR5.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Once again, and last time I will emphasize it that you can NOT drive the part time 4WD system with rear differential (2010 4Runner SR5 and Trail edition US models) on a dry pavement (also verified it with TCS) ... Here is a very nice article that explains part/full time 4WD in full detail respectively:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html
    http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnfull.html

In conclusion, in the US, only the Limited has full-time 4WD. The 2010 4Runner Trail edition and the SR5 both have a part-time 4WD system that can not be used on dry pavement.
    The salesman was wrong and the SR5 and Trail should not be operated on dry pavement in 4WD. Basically, on these models, when you engage the 4WD the front and real drive trains are locked in unison with each getting 50% of the power. Thus, you will get binding and damage with extended use on dry pavement.

As far as which to get, I like the Trail since it has part time 4WD and the option of equipping with the KDSS suspension system. I want to be able to drive in 2 WD on pavement. The Trail also has a locking rear differential for better traction in muck or the situation otherwise demands. Thus, the Trail has the best drive train for dry pavement while also having the best for situations that demand traction. The downside is that you can't get leather or heated seats.
    Agnosto... exactly what are your credentials? I called Toyota Customer Service today and spoke w/ two representatives. The representative said that you can drive a SR5 in 4H on dry pavement. Thankfully, they are shipping me a 2010 owner's manual, to help w/ my decision.

Secondly, please check your attitude at the door... it doesn't really serve the greater good. My purpose, as I am sure is the case with most others, is to learn and make educated decisions about our (future) purchase.

As I indicated in post #577... I had a salesman (himself a 4Runner owner) tell me to use 4H on dry pavement. And I shared my experience driving the vehicle in 4H on dry pavement. Knowing that I could get a Limited 4R - I doubt he would try to undersell me.
    I'll just say that I have no personal experience and my belief is entirely based upon info on the web. I will saying that if you experienced binding while making a u-turn it seems to be consistent with the view that 4WD is not for dry pavement with the SR5 and Trail. Please let us all know what the owner's manual states. Thxs.
  • evergreenpearlevergreenpearl Member Posts: 4
    I have had my 97 SR5 with on demand 4Hi and 4Lo for 13 years. I have at times had to keep it in 4 Hi once making it onto better roads in messy NE snow/ice storms. This driving has not damaged the vehicle at all. The entire drivetrain remains as smooth as when new. I am expecting a new Limited late winter, but will keep this machine too.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    My credentials before you question them. I've been driving 4x4's since 1976. If it is binding you are ruining the 4wd. I have the 2003 model with the AWD option. It never binds. But if I try the same thing in 4H with my 2009 Ram, or my former 1991 K1500, 1997 S-10 Blazer, 1986 Toyota SR5 PU, 1985 F-250, or my 1966 K10, it will bind. So get ahead and question all you'd like, but if you have to question someone's credentials over some idiot answering the phone who hasn't a clue and is reading out of a manual, then be prepared for failure.

Better yet, just buy it and drive it in 4H, make lots of U-turns, then come back on here and complain about how your 4WD blew in 4H.
    Yeah... the binding occurs when you push the vehicle to extremes by turning the steering wheel past its "tolerance threshold" (for lack of a more technical term). Like you (canddmeyer), I have owned a variety of 4x4's include an '03 F250, '95 Range Rover, '94 Mistu Montero and others.

I'm simply trying to decide whether to purchase an SR5 or a Limited because my better half will be driving the vehicle during snow events here in Colorado-and that "set it and forget it" route for that driver. If I the only driver, it'd be a slam dunk, I'd get the SR5. Unfortunately, I can see my better half going through the Starbucks drive-thru... in 4H and freak out when the vehicle binds. I want to avoid that. I also plan to do a lot of off-road driving, so this dual purpose requires some thought. In my Range Rover or Montero... you could drive in 4H and pretty much forget about it (except for tight turns). Hence my questions about the 4 Runner.

And thanks so much for the attitude... really helps!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    exactly what are your credentials?

I am not sure what credentials would be suitable for providing links to sources but I think we'd enjoy the discussion more if all tried to be a bit more cordial. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    completely agree. I'm, like many others, simply trying to make an informed decision - its very disappointing that some people seem to think its alright to try and make others feel dumb, when ultimately there are several different viewponts. As I'm learning there are clearly different schools of thought - about 4WD systems. :)
    After going through two transfer cases with my 2002 Explorer with full-time 4x4and 4x4 high/low, I decided to go back to the manual shift 4x4 system of the SR5. The limited had the same type of drive as the 2002 Explorer (probably better built), none-the-less similar and I wanted nothing to do with an all-time 4x4 system. I have an SR5 and the sales person at the time of purchase (mountain area dealership) told me that I need some give on the pavement to be in 4x4 high or low. This is consistant with my experience over the last 20 years of 4x4's. I know, for example, that chevy made full-time 4x4 system back in the day but they tore up the tires fast in pavement. We could probably do the same wear and tear to transfer case and tires over time on 4x4 high. Just my opinion. I took the wife out and introduced her to the manual shifter, did not take long before she was not put off by the slight gear noise and shift feedback.
    Has anyone had the dealership to program (I assume the ECU) to open the windows remotely by using the Limited Smart Key fob on the 2010 4Runner Limited as the manual states it can be done? If yes, did it cost anything?
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    FX -

FWIW - my wife drives an 01 Montero Sport, part time 4WD. She called me once when we had a pretty good snow storm in a panic as she was starting to slip. I told her to "move the lever" in my best calm voice. As soon as she did and the 4WD hooked up I could hear the stress leave her voice. She is good as gold now.

That said we are renting a new 4runner from Dollar (downtown Seattle locations has 'em) next week - it is nearing retirement age for the Mitsu - if she likes the runner we would like get the limited... :shades:
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Like many here, I've often engaged 4H when needed. It's always worked although it doesn't engage immediately as most electronic systems are slower to engage. Binding scares me, but there was almost always some slippage when I used it. And fxoffroad is correct that it'll do the job and be noisy in hard turns. I just wouldn't use it full-time unless there was at least the potential for some slippage.

On that note, if Toyota had kept the AWD/4WD system that was in the 2003 thru 2009, there wouldn't be the binding in 4H unlocked. But the new for 2010 deletion of the unlocked on lower end models can cause binding. Still, I believe it is a great 4WD, but some of us who were looking forward to the 2010 after owning the previous gen sure are disappointed. This will probably put me in a Sequoia.

The nicest thing about the 4H unlocked was the front end would hook up before you found yourself in danger. In fact early on many folks found themselves stuck, and for whatever reason the electronic 4WD wouldn't engage unless the vehicle was moving. So we left it in 4H unlocked all the time and never had the problem of getting stuck again.

Hopefully the 2010 4H engages quicker than the last gen which took awhile, at least the early ones did. Still no outside heated mirrors available on the 2010 SR5, as well as no V8, no LED's. And the window switches....what's that about? For me the takeaways outweigh the improvements. But for those of you getting a 2010, enjoy it. The V6 is as good as ever, the transmission silky smooth, and the drivetrain won't break.

One of these days I hope Toyota lets us build our vehicles so we can option them the way we'd like them, and hopefully a gear driven limited slip versus an electronic limited slip becomes available on all models.
    I have heated mirrors on my 2010 SR5. That said, there are always other reasons to buy or not buy a truck.
  • superslifsuperslif Member Posts: 5
    What is everyone's take on no V-8 offered in the 2010's. I now have a 05' Sport with a V-8. It was bought to tow my 24" RV trailer. ( 4500 lbs. ) In the city (not towing) I get 17 MPG. On the freeway (Not towing) I get 22-23 MPG at which I keep it under 60 - 65 for the best gas milage. I'm very happy with those numbers. She will getty-up-&-go if pushed, but the MPG goes south... Looks like the 10's are a little heavier with only a 4 or V-6 offered. Towing cap. went from the 7200 lb range for the V-8's to 5000 lb. for the 10' V-6. OUCH.....
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    I have the same vehicle and about the same size trailer. I am really amazed with every car I have owned, when people post their mpg on the internet. First of all, if your going by the dashboard computer, it's about 10% overly optimistic.

I get no more than 15 city, (usually 14 is more like it) and never more than 21 on the highway.(Usually closer to 20).

That being said, as far as the 2010s are concerned, there is room underneath the hood for the V8. I think most auto makers are going for the "corporate average fuel economy standards" mandated by the gov't and that is what is causing the moves towards smaller motors.

The only viable SUV with a big enough motor will be either the Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban. The Expedition is probably the best alternate choice.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Toyota elected to offer 4-runner customers older technology for 2010 and put all the goodies on the Lexus GX460. Both the exact same frame, but the GX has the v8, 6 spd tranny, KDSS, led tail lights, HID headlight option, locking gas cap, etc. Of course there is a price to be paid, along with alot of luxury stuff many of us don't want. While I may complain, I am still considering the 4-runner simply because of price and I don't need all the luxury stuff that wastes space and payload. But I wish that Toyota would offer a SUV with just the core good stuff and not all the frills like the "tailgate option and sliding cargo floor."
    I Agree.

You may have seen my previous posting complaining about the same issue.

I live in Canada and this is NOT an inexpensive truck. The MSP for trail on the road is over 50k. Now really how much does it cost to put in the 6 speed tranny? I beat it also gets a better fuel mileage which would have been good for their sales. You may have also noticed that 2010 4Runner fender glares are not fitted with rubber to the body (unlike all other older models). This allows for collection of salt in the winter, not to mention looking cheap.
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    Tundra and Sequoia are both in the recall list. 4Runner is free of trouble?
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    I predict sometime this year, the 4th generation 4Runner will be recalled for the same part retrofit.

They just want to get the ones with "problems" done first.

The number of 4Runners sold compared to their "volume movers" such as Camrys and Corollas, are very, very small.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    Yep, no 4Runner, no Land Cruiser on the recall list thus far. Can't say why exactly, but could be engineered differently, and there's been no incidents reported. Might be coincidence, but aren't these two models made exclusively in Japan?
  • rjsdrjsd Member Posts: 5
    Is it that the models made in Japan had no issues because they used the japanese denso part and not the usa built part???
    Yes, that is my understanding and as I believe the 4Runner is still 100% made in Japan.
  • pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    Quick question... I have a 2010 4Runner limited with Bluetooth and when I use it I have to literally yell into the microphone in the headliner for people to hear me. It is almost impossible for me to carry on a conversation.

I was wondering if anyone else is experienceing this? The service dept looked at it and said there is nothing wrong with the operation of the bluetooth. Doesn"t make sense to me.
    Have you tried adjusting the volume using the steering wheel volume button - this does the trick on my Lexus.
  • amarrao14amarrao14 Member Posts: 5
    4Runner Trail can be optioned with the best of the off-road tech - KDSS, but the 4.6L V-8, a Full-Time 4WD transfer case, and the 6-speed transmission are definitely missed.
    will give it a try..
    Thanks fxoffroad for the suggestion but it did not work.

The mic in this vehicle is almost non functional...everyone I speak to, whether land line or cell, over the bluetooth tell me that they cannot make out what I am saying or they have a bad connection. Cheap excuse for a functioning bluetooth.

I am beginning to question the quality of this vehicle.
  • tonycanztonycanz Member Posts: 3
    I have 2010 limited with 400 miles on it with no problems bluetooth
    is great. Runs great.Just put gas in it for the first time last night.
    Yup, I have the 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD with NAV and the BT works great... wow, I am a little over 4k miles and the computer AVG shows 27.2MPG ... now, who can beat that one? :shades:
  • houzejeephouzejeep Member Posts: 3
    I have the 2010 4Runner Limited with NAV and BT and all works fine but windows get stuck in the cold, brake pressure in-consistent and after making a turn the transmission revs up and then jerks into gear when you are staying in ECO mode. My rear defrost/side mirror defrost just went out. Plus the brakes squeak every time its been sitting for a while. Anyone else having any of these issues?
    ditto on the frozen windows, brake pressure and the squeeking brakes...

voice nav system works great though...finding directions with the phone number of the destination is quite nice.
    I have the 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD with NAV and have not noticed any of the issues you describe (though mine is parked in the garage).