Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Noises and Sounds

lawnmowerlawnmower Member Posts: 35
edited February 2018 in Honda
My 2007 Honda Pilot make this "BUZZING SOUND" when I first give it gas (between 10-20 MPH) then it goes away. It seems like something is loose but can't locate anything. Very annoying since car has only 3,500 miles on it.It also happens when truck is in neutral. Before I attemp to bring it to dealer I was wondering if anybody on this site had the same experience and if so what did you do. Please Help!!

Comments

• justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    I think some folks reported a similar noise as a fuel pump issue and another as a heat deflector near the exhaust.
  • ldellingerldellinger Member Posts: 2
    I have experienced the same problem. I just bought my new 2007 Honda Pilot 3 weeks ago. The "BUZZING SOUND" happens 4-5 times a week. Normally, it happens when I stop the car at a STOP sign/Signal.
    The car is at the dealer for 2 days now. They are trying to figure out the problem. Honda dealer would not take my car in unless I was able to show them the problem. Thank God. I was able to duplicate it in their parking lot.
    Honda dealer doesn't know what is wrong. They said that if they cannot get it to happen, they cannot do anything about it.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I have owned several acuras and my first one ('03 TLS)would "buzz" when I first started rolling for the day. Found out it was the ABS test. A little annoying but harmless.
  • ldellingerldellinger Member Posts: 2
    This problem has happened any time of the day. The "sound" actually hurts my ears. Honda has called it "rumbling noise".
  • lawnmowerlawnmower Member Posts: 35
    Please keep me posted on this forum when and if they find something wrong.My noise does occur more than 4-5 times a week. Like I stated,it "Buzzes" for a short time then goes away after about 15-20 MPH. Thanks for replying.
  • ciacia Member Posts: 10
    I took my 2003 Pilot on a week-end trip recently and noticed that when I accelerate from 60mph and up there is this humming sound that sounds like it's coming from the cluster. :confuse: When I ease off the gas pedal,the sound disappears.I can only hear it when I need more power from 60mph.EX:an incline on a highway.The sound is in the driver area anywhere from under the dash coming up to the cluster.Very strange.I've owned this suv since June/06 and am so pleased with it.I drive it daily and enjoy every minute of it. :D Has anyone experienced this problem? I'm all ears.......Thanks......DOM.C
  • pp06pp06 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 06 pilot with 25,000 miles and it has been in the repair shop 4 times in the last month. There is something squeeky with the left shock area. They have replaced parts, and still the noise is there.

Then today I get in it and the radio shows it's working but no sound.

Anyone else have a sound problem or a squeeky shock?
  • findingaboutitfindingaboutit Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my pilot. I hear a thumping sound every time I brake; especially when stuck in traffic. It makes the noise when letting go of the brake then hitting the brake to stop slowly. Honda dealer can't find nothing wrong with it and it seems it's getting worse. I brought it in to the dealer since I first bought it in 2005 and they can't find nothing wrong. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. Thanks.
  • joeg125joeg125 Member Posts: 2
    2004 LX w/31,000 miles. Squeeky shock, sound like it's the right rear. Only started this week with the onset of cold (below freezing) weather. I only notice when crossing over roads w/high crowns or a sharp dip. So far, I chalking up to the cold. I don't have any visible signs of failure or leakage on any of the shocks.
  • joeg125joeg125 Member Posts: 2
    I recently noticed a low rumble sound and vibration that I sense is from the passenger front wheel area when I have the wheels cut hard left and accelerate from a stand still. Forward or reverse same sensation. I'm no lead foot, so it's not like I'm punching the gas. No issue when wheels are cut hard right. Vehicle is 2004 LE AWD model, the only drive train available in 2004. I have not noticed any other problem at either low or high speeds. Any Ideas, or similar experiences?
  • camelbackcamelback Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 4WD with this problem, I thought it was a power transfer issue but listening close I think it may be fuel in the gas tank sloshing around. Have not asked the dealer yet. Did you get any more info on it?
  • minnesnowta1minnesnowta1 Member Posts: 27
    I have an 03 Pilot with 62k on it. I have heard that buzzing noise during low speed acceleration for years. We bought our Pilot new in November of 02. I think it is the heat deflector around the exhaust. Not 100% sure. We have not had any mechanical issues with it in 5 1/2 years of ownership. I really don't hear it that much anymore because I am use to it.
  • lawnmowerlawnmower Member Posts: 35
    My 2007 buzzing sound was diagnosed as a loose fuel line under car. Once it was tightnened the sound is gone. Hope this helps.
  • car2starcar2star Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem with my 2007 EXL, has been doing this since 1,200 miles and I only have 3,500 now. Squeeky noise in front strut area. In to dealer 3 times, replaced strut assembly, still there. You can grab the roof rails, shake the car, and squeak, squeak, squeak. Has anyone found the answer yet?
  • pablo9pablo9 Member Posts: 29
    Have had 4 Accords and this is the first Pilot, an 08 SE FWD
    Has about 400 miles on it now and the following 2 noises just started:
    1st Noise: In Drive, sitting at idle while at a light or a drive thru, AC engages (the compressor) and there is a very low frequency hum/booming that resonates throughout the cabin...did not do this previously and both wife and I noticed it at the same time. Either the ANC is using the bass woofer incorrectly to attempt cancelling a noise or an engine mount is not quite up to task...at least those are my current theories.
    This morning: Short drive to drop off daughter at school, heard a creaking from suspension...seems to be in back...can duplicate it to a lesser degree when parked and shaking the vehicle.
    I've seen other posts on the suspension noises and will have dealer look if it persists. Has anyone else had a low frequency/booming resonance problem at idle?
    Otherwise...totally impressed with the smoothness and functionality of the vehicle...just like all my other Honda's.
  • auditor05auditor05 Member Posts: 4
    Camelback, thanks for this info. I have 2008 Pilot and from day one, there is knocking sound when rear wheels hit bumps, though mostly from the left rear. Dealer said this is "body flex" and normal. When you had this noise, was it more noticable when you hit bumps? Any other information will be helpful. Thanks.
    I also think the vehicle is too noisy with alot of road noise, most of which I attribute to the somewhat sub-standard OEM tires, which are most suited for a sedan than SUV.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Road noise and handling on OEM tires - Goodyear or Bridgestone
    When you visit the Ratings of these 2 OEM tires at tirerack.com, you will see BOTH are at very low rating when users were asked "Will You Buy These Tires Again" ... Apparently Honda agreed to use these poor performance OEM tires out of money saving.

I changed to a better set of tire when my 08 had 850 miles - quieter ride & better surer handling. I will mount the set of OEM back when the lease is up in 3 years,

I saw somewhere that the '09 Pilot' was equipped with much better Goodyear OEM tires, plus a 4 year/48k warranty - 1 yr more than the 08 one.
    What type of tires did you upgrage to?

It has always been one of the best actions to do in my opinion. My former SUV's tended to ride on Michelin LT rubber. I like the idea of the heavier tire (even though it can sacrifice some mpg's) for road worthiness but am always looking for the new and best alternatives. I'm also thinking of trying to add a few millimeters of width for a slightly more aggressive stance and the aded cornering support.
    Highway All Season Ratings for Pilot 235/70-16
    www.tirerack.com
    + $49.00 shipping + $79.00 mount & balance ... ttl $496 for set of 4
    2 days time to arrive at my installer, picked from the list suggested by Tire Rack.
    1 of tire is defective --- found steering has to be at 1 o'clock position to keep the car go straight, slightly pull to 1 side right after installed. Reported problem to the installer, Installer has Hunter 9700 tire balance machine to perform 'Road Force' to identify which tire is defective.
    link
    Under Tire warranty, they took my VIN# & shipped a new one in 2 days. I will have the defective one replaced tomorrow. Still drive better than the OEM even with defective one on.

1. Good Year Fortera TripleTred ....... $139/ea
    2. Avon Ranger TSE ....... $92/ea (white sidewall, can turn inside to be black sidewall
    3. Continental CrossContact LX ....... $95/ea

Micheline LTX M/S ($143 - 145) also is one of top rated.
  • jgriffith7jgriffith7 Member Posts: 1
    My 03 pilot is making a noise when going over rough road or gravel. I took it to dealer and they replaced right side strut. I test drove and pilot still is making noise. So the dealer thinks the left strut needs replaced. It is in today. We will see. Oh, my pilot has 85,000 miles on it.
    UPDATE: Vehicle now at 1100 miles, the suspension creaking has stopped on its own. Handling seems fine and no other changes to ride. :)
    The "Booming" or ultra low hum at idle has come and gone intermittently. Have not been able to discern a pattern other than AC on and sitting in Drive at idle. Not enough of a problem to pursue with a special trip to dealer. :confuse:

Otherwise, we've already maxed out with 8 people on a couple of trips around town and hauled some gear with more than 5 people...nice versatility smooth running continues. Really enjoy jumping in and getting it out when I can wrestle it from my wife. :blush:

Tires: I figure road noise will become worse with the OEM tire wear. My most recent set of replacement tires for my old Accord was Bridgestone Turanza's and they've been great. Anyone know of good target replacement tires for the Pilot? I need handling, wet traction, and quiet operation as priority...no snow around here in Houston. Look forward to hearing more! ;)
  • ryan14ryan14 Member Posts: 15
    When I am backing slowly from garage or turn around the curb or go over the bump with slow speed, I can hear the clunk sound from rear end. Took to dealer first time they didn't hear but lubed it anyway. Problem still there. Took to dealer second time they couln't find it. So frustrated.
    Check the trunk's small hidden/covered space and store the 3rd row headrests positioned them "ACCORDING TO OWNER MANUAL". It is possible the thumping noise come from there when going over bump.
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Please help me, I have been really frustrated with my '04 EX-L, it has around 50k miles on it and when I hit the brakes really hard (in an emergency) a loud a series of three to four clicking sound from the rear would emerge. I know my rear break pads have not been replace, but will soon. Could this be a problem? I am hoping it is.

The other frustrating problem is when I go to pump gas for my Pilot and after several seconds of pumping gas it keeps making the clicking sound as if the tank is full, please keep in mind my tank probably has only two or less gallons remaining, and it does this all the time when I go to pump gas. I have tried different gasoline stations and the problem still persists. I would have to spend like 20 minutes just to pump gas each time because once it click I would have to squeeze the nossle again. It basically click indicating the tank was full every 0.3 gallon that goes into my tank.

Please, please help me out. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
  • hawk08hawk08 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with their driver's seat lumber support creaking like an old rocking chair? I have brought my certified Pilot in 4 times. Still creaking when I move in the seat. Help please
  • pagtarappagtarap Member Posts: 10
    Hello everyone, just wanted to ask if you happen to encounter this. Honda Pilot 2008 everytime the radiator fans start running I can feel vibration and a "loud" humming sound inside the car. Anyone had this problem before? Thanks
    Paul
    Sounds a lot like what I described earlier in this same thread. Could it be the AC compresser vs "the fans"? The fans are light and electronic (rare to cause enough vibration to be felt inside cabin) and their operation will coincide with the engaging of the compresser (or when the motor builds heat). If you turn the AC off, our hum stops.

Is the hunming a very low note? We've had this on and off since new (2.5 months old). I'm very suspicious of the ANC (Auto Noise Cancellation) system. This seems to also coincide with low noises from outside. As in, we first noticed it when sitting in a drive thru behind a diesel truck emanating its low engine growl, then when our AC compresser kicked in, on came the humming noise. I also notice it stops the hum if I bump the idle just a little bit.

I can't get it to reprodce enough to take it in to Honda yet.
    I first noticed it also while I was waiting for the green light, I thought it was the big bike beside me then when the bike took off the sound was still there so I knew the humming was coming from the pilot somewhere. Humming sound is on a very low note, it's like the sound of the "base" in the our radio? hope you get what I mean. And Yes the humming stops when you idle just a little bit.

Will be going to honda tomorrow and I do hope I can reproduce this because if not the honda guys might think I am going nuts!

Another thing the humming sound disappears when ypu open the door a little bit, that's how I knew it could be a vibrating thing. Makes me crazy when I hear that sound.

Will be posting for updates.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Paul
    Sounds like we are experiencing the exact same thing. I sure hope to see your update with a fix. We'll be taking ours in soon, too.

And yep, my wife is ready to scratch someone's eyes out after sitting with it more than a minute or so.

If they give you trouble at service, tell'em someone else is having the same issue.

Good Luck!
    Will update you definitely. Thanks again.
    Paul
    hi guys came back from honda, I asked for an oil change and tire rotation, informed them about the humming sound and vibration thing, their diagnosis was "they found leaves" in the AC blower motor, was charged 50 bucks for the cleaning. when the job was done I took the car and ALAS (i know most of us have the same experience) the sound was still there...................spoke with manager and I let him hear the sound, he called the "chief mechanic" and guess what happened I wasn't able to reproduce that humming thing (sigh). And like most of us will expect I was told to observe and just bring back the car when the sound is frequent enough to reproduce...........

Hope one of you guys will find the "cure" to this problem, and please do let us know.
    Thanks again, will be updating you.
    Oh so frustrating...I guess it's good you got the leaves out but geez.

If I can get mine in before a trip next weekend, I'll let you know. I think I won't use the word hum but more of an ultra-low bass note...maybe that will get them on the same page faster.
    I think the "ultra low bass note" description is the more appropriate term to our mystery sound. I backread this thread and your "theories" regarding the ANC diverting the sound to the "bass" could be it also. Will be waiting for further updates. Have a safe trip and thanks again.
  • leroygleroyg Member Posts: 1
    My low mileage 2008 Pilot has recently started doing a similar thing...a very low pitch, bass "drone" when idling that I discovered stops if any door is opened, but not from opening a window. I also sense it at about 35-40 mph, but not nearly as loud (and of course haven't opened a door then to see what would happen) .Not affected by AC being on/off. I saw a posting that someone thought a body seam in the b-pillar bewtween the front and rear doors may not be completed welded to cause a similar noise in a 2007 Pilot. I'm planning on taking it to a dealer this week. Did you find an answer yet?

leroyg
    Leroyg, good day thanks for the post. No answer/s for our problem yet. I still hear that low pitch bass tone even after my oil change and "aircondition cleaning" . Kindly update us regarding the "b-pillar" thing, thanks. Your description ("a very low pitch, bass "drone" when idling that I discovered stops if any door is opened, but not from opening a window" ) is very similar to my symptom although the tone coincides with on/off mechanism of the airconditionning.
    Thanks for posting
    Paul
    No answer from any of us yet but here are another couple of observations:
    - On our extended weekend trip a day ago, zero problems including this droning noise for the 1100 mile adventure.
    - The first return of the noise was in my driveway as I headed out for an errand. So there is reproduceability(sp?) since this is one of the settings in which I had the noise before.

I have heard about complaints of the other year models with a droning noise at different speeds on the road. But so far, the noise described has only occurred as described at idle. I remain suspicious of the ANC system and the motor mounts. Hopefully, we will have time to visit the dealer in about two weeks.

Good luck all...next one to the shop...report back!
    I just found this TSB referenced in the Hondapilot.org forums (excellent forum if you haven't already found it.). The bulletin predates the 08 model.

Reference Bulletin 06-092, 12/22/06

Service Bulletin
    © 2006 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved ATB 34078 (0612) 1 of 1
    CUSTOMER INFORMATION: The information in this bulletin is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools, equipment,
    and training to correctly and safely maintain your vehicle. These procedures should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers,” and you should not assume
    this bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle has the condition described. To determine whether this information applies, contact an
    authorized Honda automobile dealer.
    December 22, 2006
    06-092
    Applies To: 2006 Pilot – All LX 2WD models
    2007 Pilot – LX 2WD models from VIN 5FNYF2...7B000001 thru 5FNYF2...7B006392
    Booming or Humming Noise From Speakers While Driving
    SYMPTOM
    A booming or humming noise is heard from the
    speakers while driving with the radio on or off.
    PROBABLE CAUSE
    A faulty ANC (active noise control) unit.
    CORRECTIVE ACTION
    Replace the ANC control unit.
    PARTS INFORMATION
    ANC Control Unit: P/N 39200-STW-A02
    H/C 8563413
    WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
    In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
    Operation Number: 0101C9
    Flat Rate Time: 0.6 hour
    Failed Part: P/N 39200-STW-A01
    H/C 8159055
    Defect Code: 03217
    Symptom Code: 04201
    Template ID: 06-092A
    Skill Level: Repair Technician
    Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
    expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
    the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
    Office. You must request consideration, and get a
    decision, before starting work.
    DIAGNOSIS
    1. Start the vehicle.
    2. Turn the radio on, and make sure it operates
    normally.
    3. Turn the radio off.
    4. Press and hold the preset buttons number 1 and
    number 6, then press the VOL push PWR button.
    The audio system enters its diagnostic mode and
    Diagnosis (or Diag) appears on the display.
    Release the preset buttons.
    5. Press the number 1 preset button. ANC ON
    appears on the display.
    6. Press the number 1 preset button again to turn the
    ANC OFF. You should hear a humming noise
    coming from the speakers for about 60 seconds.
    NOTE:
    • To turn the humming off, press the number 1
    preset button to turn the ANC ON, and wait for
    the hum to stop. Press the number 1 preset
    button again to turn the ANC OFF.
    • Repeatedly pressing the number 1 preset button
    cycles the audio unit ANC ON and ANC OFF, but
    the ANC control unit won’t hum until the ignition
    switch is turned on and off, and you put the audio
    system back into Diagnosis mode.
    • When the ignition switch is turned on and off
    again, the audio system defaults to its ANC ON
    mode.
    7. With the ANC OFF (audio unit on), test-drive the
    vehicle as described by the customer. If you can’t
    reproduce the booming or humming noise, go to
    the REPAIR PROCEDURE.
    8. If you can still hear the booming or humming noise,
    disregard this bulletin and do the ANC
    troubleshooting in the service manual.
    REPAIR PROCEDURE
    1. Replace the ANC control unit.
    • Refer to page 22-345 of the 2006–07 Pilot
    Service Manual, or
    • Online, enter keyword ACTIVE and select Active
    Noise Control Removal/Installation (2WD)
    from the list.
    2. Test-drive the vehicle to confirm the repair.
  • phx1138phx1138 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2008 pilot SE with about 3,000 miles with the same problem. I have the AC running constantly this time of year, and the noise happens 90% of the time that I stop at a light. If the AC is turned off or if a window is opened the noise stops. I took it in to the dealer and they said they thought it was the noise cancellation system. They did something to the stereo while we were in the car (like what is described above) and were able to make the noise much louder by turning the volume up (note that normally turning the volume up doesn't make the noise louder, but it did while they had accessed the ANC system). The noise they made louder was definitely the same "bass noise" I had been hearing. They wanted to order a new ANC unit to install. In the meantime they turned off my ANC unit, which should have stopped the noise. However, while I was driving the car with the ANC off for the next few days I still heard the noise. I let them replace the unit, but the noise is still there. I am going to take it back in and will post an update.
    At least in our case, the ANC seems to tbe the problem as well. I did the diagnostic and sure enough, killing the ANC will do away with the noise. Will try to get it into the dealer this week so we can get them to acknowldge the same and order the part.

PHX1138: The ANC will re-activate itself when you turn the ignition back on. So, we just quickly press the 1, 6, and power buttons on the radio (when off), hit #1 for the noise to first amplify, then hit #1 twice more to activate then fully de-activate the ANC. (more complicated to write than to do)

I'm happy to have found the apparent culprit! That droning noise will make you jump off a cliff after a while.
  • phx1138phx1138 Member Posts: 2
    I went back to the dealler, and got some bad news. I let them keep the car overnight so the head mechanic could drive it at night, since the sounds seems worse at night. They heard the noise, and still say it is definitely the ANC. Having the ANC replaced did not fix the problem. They contacted Honda. Honda is apparently aware of the problem and working on a fix - for now, there is nothing they can do. According to the dealer this is a common problem.
    Wow...that's not good to hear at all. Thanks for posting though! Did they provide any kind of timeline? I'm curious as to what kind of recourse this leaves us with the problem. I'm not real keen on making payments for something that annoying.
  • joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    My wife drives our '08 Pilot and she recently began complaining about a random beep/ creeking noises when the AC is on. She thought it might be a vent or something, but couldn't get it nailed down.

While driving it this weekend together I heard what she was talking about. It almost sounds like a vent creeking open or something. It is very quick and could almost be a loud beep for a second. Has anyone heard something like this? I see there have been reports of a humming noise. Very confusing.
    So I've documented all too well on here about my ANC problem. I have been able to confirm with several better Honda shops and Honda techs they are seeing the issue and are changing a part of the ANC behind the radio when diagnosed. Now, mine rarely does it so I have to wait and catch it in the act for diagnosis. Nice not to have it but would like to make sure it stays that way if I can. I'd just love to assume it's past it's problem so the radio doesn't have to come out and get the trim scratched up.

New rattle developed with the panel covering the subwoofer on the passenger side of the cargo area. I kind fo half expected it. I'm very nervous of the techs tearing it up for investigation and fix but the rattle is not something to live with...even does it without the radio on now. Just one of those things...I'll take it if it's the worst thing that can happen! Rest of vehicle continues its sterling performance.
  • caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    I have an '03 pilot with 108,000 miles. In the past year I've been experiencing a whine coming from it seems the subwoofer. This noise is most obvious when the radio volume is low. Also, it over rides all sound from either the wireless headphones or headphones plugged directly into the jacks. I thought to disconnect the subwoofer but getting the panel off is more of a chore than it seems it should be. Any thoughts before I spend an entire day taking the interior appart would be appreciated.
  • caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    My 03 pilot with 108,000 miles has recently started making a rubbing or vibrating noise while driving. It sounds like it's coming from the rear end and maybe from the rear right wheel. It happens when I'm driving anywhere between 30-60 mph and comes and goes. Also, when I accelorate or decelorate while the sound is present it goes away but if I maintain speed it lasts for quite a while. I've seen other posts mentioning a sound that is related to the drive shaft bearing. Would this be consistent with that or might this be something different? I'm just not sure.
  • doglady28doglady28 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 Pilot (53K miles) has an abnormally lound air conditioning fan. Once I get past the 3rd power setting on the air conditioning it sounds like a prop plane engine. Anyone know what this might be and the approx. cost to fix it? Thank you.
  • ohkabakaohkabaka Member Posts: 1
    That is probably the "Leaf in the Blower" problem.

Costs about $50 to get the leaf removed.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    That rattle could be a loose Sub or even a blown one. Check, because it should be covered under warrenty.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • stavro67stavro67 Member Posts: 2
    we just purchased an 05 pilot. we get the same booming sound when the kids have the 2nd row windows down. almost sounds like air flow around the vehicle gets trapped and cant get in or out causing a resonating in the cab. very annoying, almost makes your ears pop. any solution to the problem would be great.
  • stavro67stavro67 Member Posts: 2
    my 2005 only 'booms' when the second row windows are down at speeds over 40mph. haven 't seen any threads with the same complaint, but i'm going to check the anc unit anyways.