Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Noises and Sounds

Comments

• pablo9pablo9 Member Posts: 29
    stavro67,

The booming you describe with windows down doesn't have anything to do with the ANC and isn't an electronically manufactured sound. It's the aerodynamics playing with the air pressure of the cabin. I have been in numerous vehicles that do this with different combinations of windows down...especially the rear windows only scenario. In fact, I once used a 4 door Ford Pickup that made people almost pass out from the pressure "booms" with the same scenario...weird stuff.

The ANC problem described in the bulletin and by several in the posts is an improperly working ANC system. It is fixed by replacing the portion of the unit located behind the radio head unit. It was confirmed by a couple of Honda techs I have spoken with and indeed, I can control it by disabling the system as described in the bulletin.

So...don't roll down just the rear windows!
  • mattgentmattgent Member Posts: 1
    Stavro - I have the same thing happen when my dog wants to hang his head out the window. Its a function of the internal volume of the car, the size of the opening, and the speed. Just crack your front window a couple inches and it goes away.

Pablo - I have the low frequency resonance also. Thanks for the post and tracking down the TSB, I'll print that out when I bring it to the dealer.
  • 03pilotguy03pilotguy Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like I am having an issue similar to the "Buzzing Sound" described elsewhere in this forum with my 03 Pilot EX. At about 110K miles I began to hear a transient buzzing noise similar to a 'snorting' (or semi-truck compression breaking) that lasted just a second or two, occurring between 25 and 45 mph. Not sure if it is the same noise, and it sounds funny but the best way I can describe it is as a snort.

I am a pilot so I am particularly aware of new and different noises in the vehicles I operate. After a few months of trying different things to make it occur, I can induce it by accelerating slowly to 40mph and adjusting RPM to get it to shift at the earliest opportunity. It seems to occur when the transmission shifts into 4th gear and RPM drops to approx 1200. When the engine struggles at the lower RPM for that gear the sound occurs, and I can actually watch the RPM needle rise when the sound goes away.

It I am going to check the underside of the vehicle for a loose heat shield around the exhaust system and also for loose fuel lines that may just happen to vibrate at that frequency. The Pilot engine is so quiet that it is really hard to isolate if it is an exhause manifold or transmission related issue, so I will continue to troubleshoot. I may have to take a technician for a ride to make it happen for them. Anyway, any :confuse: ideas would be great.
  • pablo9pablo9 Member Posts: 29
    mattgent,

Did you get the ANC worked out per the TSB? I was planning on doing such last week...had the Pilot all week with the wife out of town...but dang if the thing didn't do it once so no chance to replicate for a tech to diagnose.

Hope repairs have gone well.
  • mountainman5mountainman5 Member Posts: 6
    I now have the same problem as you 03pilotguy mine cuts in at around 45 to 50 mph and some times lasts for as long as 2 or 3 minutes and sometimes it goes away in 10 secs. or so. I have an 03 LX with 56,250 miles on it!! Let me know if you have any success after crawling around under the BEAST!!
  • manualguymanualguy Member Posts: 9
    Try opening the front windows a smidgeon. That should take care of it.
    manualguy
  • wow4helpwow4help Member Posts: 3
    I recently read up on the Honda Pilot recalls as well as technical service bulletin. Should I have a mechanic @Honda look at this car prior to purchase? What scares me is the reliability of a Honda but then to read ATF leaks, ect. in recall and tech.;also electrical problems? Anyone care to steer me in the right direction before this purchase @10K? (after 1500 trade-in, 1k cash coupon, 1k cash down).

Thanks-
    Letting go of unreliable LR98 for a reliable Honda-hopefully! :confuse:
  • infonurseinfonurse Member Posts: 2
    I have owned Hondas for the past 21 yrs and have owned both Accords and Civics. I sold my 1997 Civic and purchased my 2003 Pilot EX in May 2003 and have not experienced any problems with it, short of replacing the security key fobs. All I have had to do with it was the general maintenance. However, last month, at about 90k miles, I started noticing oil drops on the driveway. I took the vehicle in to a mechanic who thought that the leak was the main seal. After changing out the seal, the leak was still present. The mechanic researched and found Service Bulletin 01-009 which addresses V6 Engine Oil Leaks on all 1998-03 Accord V6, 1999-03 Odyssey, and 2003 Pilot. Apparently the probable cause is "the cast aluminum engine block may be porous in spots." Since my mechanic does not work in a Honda repair shop, he doesn't have the VTEC System Test Tool needed to perform a pressure-check test on the engine block for oil leaks. I have since been hunting all over the internet to find out more information related to this. This bulletin was printed 5/09/08 and, it appears that only the first year Pilot is affected.

Personally, I love my Pilot and, if they wouldn't have recently changed the body style, I would get a new one. But, if I was looking for a used Pilot and since I can't find any more information on this and it appears that it may be limited to the 2003 Pilot, I'd probably look for a second year or newer model. Also, price it out on Kelly Blue Book website, as I checked on mine today and trade in value for it (good condition) is $7500.

If anyone is out there who has come across the oil leak issue due to porous spots in the engine block with their Pilot (or even the 98-03 Accord V6 and 99-03 Odyssey), I'd like to hear from you. Did the repair shop just repair the leak per the bulletin, with JB Weld and/or coated bolts, or did the engine need to be replaced?

Thanks.
  • wow4helpwow4help Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the info. We bought a Toyota Sienna instead of the Pilot:)
  • charliehodgecharliehodge Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 making the same noise you describe. Did you have any luck finding a cause or solution?
  • ut13ut13 Member Posts: 1
    Hello -

We purchased our 2006 EX last week and yesterday decided to take a drive with our dog in tow. We rolled down both of the 2nd row windows and YEOUCH! What a piercing noise that kicked in once we went over 40mph! Even the dog flinched and was uncomfortable --- how can we rid this noise? We HATE to use our AC, often open the sunroof, the windows, and take drives (esp with the dog!) and worry now we can't ever roll down the back windows???? Help!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I think installing the 4 window deflectors can help you to lower the windows 2-3" and not have that noise but more fresh air. Anyway it is not the window all the way down solution.
  • lep4lep4 Member Posts: 2
    After coming to a stop, for example, at a traffic light, after a few seconds we hear a loud thump that seems to be originating in the left rear quarter of the vehicle. It sounds as if someone has hit the outside of the car with the palm of their hand. Any idea as to what is causing it?
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I am serious and my reply is not frivolous. You may have had a bird hit your vehicle. Unfortunately birds can do damage. I have seen a horse hit a car, and the car is totalled and the horse was dead.

Hope this helped. Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • lep4lep4 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply - I believe you are serious - animals have flown and run into us before - the sound has occurred many times (but not consistently) so I don't think that what's happening this time
  • laneyplaneyp Member Posts: 1
    Hi - when I go over uneven road or even pull into my driveway, I can hear and feel a clunk up through the steering wheel. It doesn't happen when both wheels hit the bump evenly, just when one at a time hits. And it has a slight shimmy, worse at low speeds and pulls slightly to the left (even though the alignment test says it is aligned). The Honda Dealer has had it twice now in the last 2 months, for several days and say they can't find anything - they acknowledge the shimmy and pull, and are perplexed. Here's the history:

I had a very strong shimmy at low speeds and the car pulled to the left.
    Along with doing the 75,000 mile service, they discovered 2 engine mounts were broken and my front axle wasn't lubricating - fixed engine mounts and replaced front axle and the shimmy is still there but definitely minimized. Still pulls slightly to the left even though they've aligned it twice. Tires are 1 year old. They say they put tires from a different Pilot on it to check it and the problem was the same. I don't think it's the tires. I didn't have the clunk until after they "fixed it". They say they've checked everything and the suspension is fine. Any ideas??? The only other thing to tell is that 2 years ago I was hit at low speed by a golf cart (yes) as I was exiting the zoo - he didn't see me and ran into the metal part of my wheel, so I didn't have any body damage but I knew that at least messed up my alignment.

Of course, the day I took it home the "Maintenance" light now blinks when I turn it on so I have to take it back anyway, but I thought maybe someone would have some ideas for these guys. Please help. I don't want to buy a new car, I just want this one to run correctly!

Thanks!
  • infonurseinfonurse Member Posts: 2
    Hi, My Pilot has had the same type of noise since I bought it. The "thumping" sound went away when I finally had worn the old tires out (I found a "flat spot" on one of the tires) and put better tires on it (Michelin). Even with the new tires, I still have a clunking sound when I turn a hard right and go over a slight bump. Otherwise, the car steers straight and I haven't had any other suspension issues.

Re: oil seepage through the engine block. I had the shop change it back to regular oil (non-synthetic) and I have not experienced any more drips since then. The shop hadn't heard anything regarding the relationship between synthetic oil and the porous aluminum block but it appears, at least to me, that there may be a relationship and I will now run regular oil in this vehicle.
  • tacoma50tacoma50 Member Posts: 10
    While driving in heavy rain on the interstate last week at 65 mph, I heard what sounded like water “gurgling” in the roof area around the front or sides of the sunroof. Sort of like the sound of water running down a gutter downspout on your house. But it seems like the wind was keeping it trapped somewhere. If I slowed down, the gurgling noise stopped.

I pulled over under an overpass; I verified that the sunroof was completely closed. Then I opened the sunroof and it looked bone dry around the side channels of the tracks and wherever I could see in there.

When the rain stopped, so did the noise.

Is there somewhere around the windshield or the roof rack where water could get in and make such a noise?

The dealer said he has no idea, and they can only look at it if I can repeat the symptom, but that might be hard to do since they are not real close to an interstate, and it would have to be a heavy rain :-(
  • matmel04matmel04 Member Posts: 9
    tacoma50, I thought I heard this same noise in my '09 EX-L yesterday when we got a car wash. There was a bunch of water piled up on top of the sun roof under the moonroof visor and then I heard that draining sound. I would also be interested in what caused it. I hope water isn't leaking in anywhere. :confuse:
  • rezilientrezilient Member Posts: 4
    Hello. I have this same problem on my 2006 EX that we just bought used. The "thump" sound occurs after breaking almost as if something is hanging loose below the vehicle and "swinging" and hitting the underside.

It is sometimes very faint, but sometimes is louder if we brake harder. There is always a slight delay, for example you break and then 1 second later you hear the thump.

The answer from Carmax (where we bought the car) is that its fuel sloshing in the tank. This seems to make sense, so my test will be to let the tank run pretty low and see if the sound disappears when there is not much fuel left.

I'll let you know how it goes.
  • letatletat Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Honda Pilot makes this fog horn like sound when the engine is running. Noise occurs at random and at various speed. The noise stops when the engine is turned off and does not resume. Took to the dealer who said it might be the brakes, but noise happens when car is not moving. Took to the mechanic at local gas station, he heard noise and was stumped. Brought car back, could not replicate noise. Said he looked at computer codes and service bulletins and could find nothing. I am getting concerned because noise is happening more frequently. Don't know what to do. Don't want to go back to dealer unless I can point to something specific. Help
  • bgambillbgambill Member Posts: 1
    Has the windshield on your Pilot been replaced?

RE: I hear a similar gurgling sound while driving in the rain on my 2003 Pilot after having the windshield replaced by a Honda dealership. I suspect the windshield molding was not installed correctly. The molding has undulations that appear to have been caused by heating during the installation.
    >Has the windshield on your Pilot been replaced?
    Hmm, good point. I am not sure. Let me contact the previous owner and find out.
    I will report back with my findings.
  • krs67krs67 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Pilot makes a very loud bang sound when I am backing up. It doesn't seem to happen backing up on flat surfaces (ie a parking lot); but if I back up my elevated driveway it happens every time.

I have taken it in to the dealer at least three times and they can always replicate the noise but have no answers. Has anyone experienced this? Any diagnostics?
  • illini2illini2 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 08 Pilot SE and every time it rains (a little or a lot) or even a car wash, the passenger side by the windshield on the bottom corner is where I hear water gurgling around when I drive. Sounds like the water is trying to move up the beam to escape. I've brought it in several times for the dealer to check and they check the drain holes and they are clear, they do not know why it is making that sound. They also have one other customer with the same issue. There are no bulletins out there as well. Any ideas on how to fix this issue??
    Thanks
    I spoke with the previous owner, and the windshield was never replaced.
    Hi Illini2,
    You will see in my post titled:
    (#75 of 83 Water gurgling sound in roof area 08 Honda Pilot EXL by tacoma50 Oct 06, 2009)
    that I am having the same problem as you. My Honda dealer was also unable to find the source of the problem. The dealer also said they called Honda Corp and they have never heard of this issue before, therefore there is nothing else they can do.
    But there is strength in numbers, so maybe if share our contact info, we could prove to Honda that this is not an isolated incident.
    I will try sending you a message thru carspace.com. I think if you log into your carspace.com account and then go to the main page at: http://www.carspace.com/ you will see a TOOLBOX on your right. Inside the TOOLBOX you will see a MY CARSPACE MAILBOX, see if there is a message from me. If that does not work maybe you could just post the name and town of your Honda dealer(carspace does not allow posting phone #s) and I could call them.
  • zdogszdogs Member Posts: 18
    I have an '09 EX and was planning to take it in yesterday for it's first dealer service (indicator came on at about 5,800 miles). When I started driving to work yesterday I noticed a faint humming sound and thought how lucky it was that I was going in for service today. They checked it out and told me that my hearing was good because indeed there was a humming sound - front right wheel bearing was going bad. They replaced it and now it's good to go. I realize even Hondas can have some things go wrong early on, but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...
  • atlmom2atlmom2 Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed when driving my 2007 EXL a lot of noise on wet roads. When the car is going over 30 miles a hour, it sounds like water is being forced into the wheel well. It is quite loud. The car does have running boards. Has anyone had this experience? I took it to the dealer, and they found nothing out of place.
  • 94acura94acura Member Posts: 12
    when I go over the bump, a clinking noice can be hear on the driver side, feels it is coming from the left corner fan window, the sound is like few coins shaking together. It happens on both high way and local road, and no matter which wheel hits the bump. a little sound, but really annoying.

Recently if turn on heating in the morning, there is a rattling sound as fan is hitting something. After awhile, the sound is gone.

I got my condensor replaced three month ago because AC leaks.

Are they related?
  • erdenebaterdenebat Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have 07 Honda Pilot EXL. Recently I did find sound from my car same as you. I just thought it is coming from brake but it has only 20k miles on it and not yet replace brake pad ( I guess ).

Ernie
    Oakland CA
  • tennesseepilottennesseepilot Member Posts: 7
    I too have an '03 Pilot with 84.5K and have been experiencing this intermittent wind gust/roar coming from the vehicle. I used to think it was a cross wind. You can actually see the RPMs move when you hear the 'gusts'.

Has anyone experienced this issue and have a remedy??

Thanks for sharing any insights or recommendations on handling.
    My Honda dealer has not been able to reproduce the sound as of yet, but they did not drive it while it was raining and above 50 mph.

I did discover something new. The other day my pilot sat in the driveway during a heavy rain. About 10 minutes after it stopped raining, I drove on the interstate at 55mph (it was still not raining) and I heard the gurgling sound again, it continued for 10 minutes, then I pulled over to look around, found nothing. When I drove away there was no more gurgling sound.

So on a sunny day, I will soak my pilot with a garden hose and then try to reproduce the sound at 55mph, if I can then I will have a way to reproduce the problem at the dealership.

I will try to report back in a few weeks.
  • geauxsaintsgeauxsaints Member Posts: 1
    I have the same prob...an 03 with 119k. Any answers yet??
    No responses as yet. I cannot believe someone else hasn't experienced and (hopefully) resolved this issue.
  • hondajunkiehondajunkie Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my friend's 2003 honda pilot exl. he put near 160k mikes on it but knowing how well hondas run and their reliablility, I didnt think it would cause many problems. But, 2 weeks ago, I noticed a rattling sound coming from the undercarriage of the vehicle when I am running the AC and idling at the same time. I am going to the Honda dealer today to get another problem fixed - the "d" light blinks on occasion. Not to mention the CD player stopped working 5 days after i got it. I have a feeling my buddy didnt take care of the vehicle since he wasnt able to give me any service records when i got it. Any idea on what the rattling sound is? I'd like to know before I go to Honda.
  • willazwillaz Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    I'm writing this message to warn others regarding '03 Honda Pilot a/c problem and the very very expensive cost to repair it.
    My 2003 Pilot (86,000 miles) is at the dealer for service now. When idling, there's a loud fan noise and no cold air coming out on all vents. When the suv is running, the noise is substantially lessened and cold air comes out nicely.
    It was diagnosed to have a failing a/c compressor that is spreading metal fragments to the entire a/c system. The service adviser told me that the entire a/c system has to be replaced and it will cost $5,100.00+tax. I was also told that if I had it fix much earlier, the damage would have been much less. I told him that I follow the maintenance schedule religiously and take it for service exclusively at their dealership. They should have noticed the problem and made the appropriate repair. But they did not. He also told me that this is a known problem on the CRV but not on the Pilot. There goes my plan for buying a CRV.
    I called Honda customer service and the guy that I talked was very pleasant but could not offer any assistance. He will not even transfer me to his manager because he said that nobody can help me even if I talk to an executive. I think I have no choice but to have the repair done at a Honda dealership otherwise we cannot use the car or sell it in it's current condition.
    With this experience, I don't think I'll buy another Honda ever again. I won't even recommend it to anybody. I'm very very very disappointed with Honda for using cheap parts.
    Do any of you know someone or a number that I can call at Honda to try to get financial assistance like a discount on parts, etc.?
    Thank you in advance for any advice/help. Good luck to all of us Honda owners.
  • illini2illini2 Member Posts: 2
    Well! My problem is solved!!! It took a car to run a red light and hit two cars and come across the intersection and hit my front end! Not that much body damage, dented hood and cracked grill... When I got the car back the gurgle was gone!
    Among other work, they needed to replace my windshield and they removed the passenger side mud flap. The only things I can think of are 1) the seal around the windshield was trappind water and not letting it flow out and 2) the drainage for the mud flap could have been restricting some of the water flowing out.
    So, try removing the mud flap first and make sure nothing is restricting the flow. Then it could be the windshield if the mud flap does not do the trick.

Good luck!
    Hi illini2, Thanks for posting that info as I still have the problem. I will share your comments with my dealer and maybe that will help them find the culprit...Thanks!
  • joemommajoemomma Member Posts: 2
    2004 pilot 85000 miles. at 45 to 46 mph sounds like a puff of air hitting the underside of right front. mechanic changed sway bar $175.00 but still puffing away. consistantly does this at this speed. He does not believe its creating a mechanical breakdown, but I'm concerned. Taking it back in Nov 3rd. let you know if we figure it out.
  • bikaju10bikaju10 Member Posts: 1
    Hey saw your post and had to respond. '04 pilot w/ now 146k I get that noise at48 mph seems like left front in mine, though. Tried using higher octane...but not sure if my music was louder or it worked...lol
    Thx for your post and please keep us all posted. That's still the best description - a snort or a puff/blast of air hitting the front-end. And yes, it's also most noticeable between 35-45 MPH. I don't think I hear anything at higher speeds. I'm now @ 90K so will be taking my '03 Pilot into dealership by end of CY and will ask my techs @ dealership. If any results, I will be sure to report. I do hope your mechanic is correct in terms of no mechanical issues...some type of air baffle issue I think but it's very odd. And worse, my tach will move as well. Let me know if yours does as well when you hear those puffs of air. Thx again. - TNpilot
  • caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    Same issue here, '03 Pilot with 140k miles. It's been going on for a couple of years now. I've fully dismantled the under side of the vehicle with the exception of pulling the transmission and found NOTHING wrong. Told my wife to turn up the stereo so she couldn't hear it. If you find anything with the dealer, please let us know.
  • joemommajoemomma Member Posts: 2
    Last friday had my mechanic do a trans flush and replace the fluid. changed the diff fluid, rotated the tires and replace all the plastic clips of the undercarriage. he believed it was the trans kicking in and out of overdrive at about 45 mph. good for the weekend, we'll see.
    Interesting, esp. with respect to plastic clips. Granted, the transmission will shift into overdrive around 45-47 MPH but I'm not yet convinced that that's the issue. Something seems to just loose enough under the vehicle that at certain speeds/conditions it vibrates thus resulting in both noise (puffs/snorts) as well as enough vibration (at least in my case) to cause the tach needle to move slightly. I should be back to Honda dlrship in late Dec/early Jan to describe symptoms.

Thx again for your response and let us know if this work has reduced/eliminated your noises. TNpilot
  • irenesinhairenesinha Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you have identified the problem with the car, 'cause mine has the same problem and there is nothing loose in the car, the effect is as if there is a ball hanging on a rope and swinging, the moment the car comes to an halt the ball just hits the body! Please do let me know.
  • id_snowmanid_snowman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Honda Pilot. When accelerating a whining noise can be heard. When you let off the throttle the noise goes away so the noise is only heard under a load. I have made sure it is not a bad ground connection on the radio and I have also checked for diconnected vacuum lines and have found none. Not sure what to check next? Have not had the "D" light flash, the check engine light come on or any transmission slippage. Any help would be appreciated.
    I finally took in my 03 Pilot for 90K svc at which time dealer replaced VTM-4 fluid. As of now, about 1 week since, no snorting noise. They also replaced the transmission fluid but prior to the svc I mentioned this snorting/puffing of air and they (Honda dealer in Mem) claimed they had not rec'd a similar complaint -- but thought that it was possible that the replacing the rear differential fluid could resolve. Don't know any more than that but I'll advise the group if the snorting noise returns...but for now...so far so good. TN Pilot
  • ponyride66ponyride66 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Will change fluids, soon.
  • ponyride66ponyride66 Member Posts: 2
    My mechanic was trying to diagnose the snorting issue and discovered the Front and R Front engine mounts were failing. During replacement, He noticed the engine had shifted toward the drivers side. Parts Desk told me the life of these mounts is about 80k. (mine 77k). Ironically, the snorting isn't as loud, but it still there when changing gears, 35-45mph. Will replace Trans fluid next.
    But my advice to all is check your engine mounts. He said the torque was lifting my motor over 3".