Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Smart Key

mthardatworkmthardatwork Member Posts: 1
edited June 2019 in Nissan
You will have to search the internet to find out about it, or experience the problem like I did. Can't find in Nissan recalls in their site either. I am talking about if you have the key fob within 1 inch of your Cell phone, and you receive a call, the key is usless and you are stranded unless you have a spare. The dealer did not tell me about it either. I read an article where some dealer says it only effects some cars?? Anyway when I went to the dealer to get mine replaced (after my wife had to bring me a spare), they told me that it would be 2 weeks to get a new one. I whined and they drove to another dealer in town I guess. Anyway my wife will not drive the car because she fears she may be stranded if she forgot and put the phone in her purse with her key. I cannot believe that Nissan could not have a backup plan. You cannot use the key in the key fob slot either the thing is usless. The car drives great though; just a really stupid design flaw.

Comments

• gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    You must be kidding :P

The problem is very rare. I had the G35 with the same key and never had a problem.

I find the smart key is very useful. I just leave it on my belt and never touch the key. :shades:
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    Not only is it very rare, it has already been corrected. New keys are comming in the fall, which is probably why your dealership didn't have any. the new keys arn't out yet, and the old ones are no longer being used. You should have recieved a letter from nissan about this. If you didn't, you might want to contact them to make sure they have your address correct so you recieve and future recall notices. my guess is though, you accidently threw it away.

for the majority of us affected by this, we didn't have to search the internet ;)
  • jaeger1jaeger1 Member Posts: 43
    This post is pretty funny.

Jaeger
  • cindy1986cindy1986 Member Posts: 1
    I just had mine go out today. Had to get towed. They tried to blame me.
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    I went to rent a car for a vacation last week (7/24), and the office had a lot of '07 Altimas on the lot. The leasing agent warned us about having the "smart key" too close to the cell phone like in a pocket or purse. Additionally, there was a sign on the counter warning customers about the situation that could possibly arise. The leasing agent really liked the device, but I too thought it was a case of poor design. :lemon: Luckily, they had other full-size choices on the lot, so I took a Dodge Charger instead.....something with a "conventional" key. :shades: Nissan HAS to fix this. It's good to know the recall is in force.
    Yes, nissan has fixed this. the new keys will be available in the next 2 or three months. and, it has already been corrected for the '08's. chalk it up to first year model gremlins. It was a minior issue. first, it was only certain cell phones that caused the problem, and second, the phone has to be touch the key while a call is being made, or comming in. though a serious problem if it happens to you, the number of people who've had their Ikeys scrambled is very small. all the signs and warrnings are a precaution to make sure you're not one of the unfortunate ones.
  • madashell1madashell1 Member Posts: 1
    I just want to say to mthardatwork, you are absolutely correct!!! I only had to take my Nissan Altima back 6 time and have my remote re program and replaced! Its sad and a shame.. As big of a name as Nissan, I can't believe they have NOT CORRECTED THE PROBLEM.. if they had, i would not be having all these problems. I have a purse and i'm sorry.. if i lay my keys outside my purse i'm afraid i might loose them, if i keep my cell phone outside, i'm afraid i might loose it.. and I am not going to carry both remote because if one gets inactive the other will too! :lemon: I think the Altima I have ia just that.... a lemon!!!!

It is not only a headache but embarrassing also!! Letting the alarm go off.. i think if my sales person from the dealership would have told me the problems i would have declined to get an Altima.. I should have stuck with HONDA!!!! :mad: I will never buy another Nissan because of this experience!! I'm going back to Honda!
  • jeffkeithjeffkeith Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have to admit that I love technology and I love 99% of my Altima features. I even thought the nifty key fob was cool and convenient. that was, until i got stranded at work one night and had to have someone bring my extra key from home. My key and my cell phone were much farther away from each other than a inch...althought they were in the same backpack - different compartments. I am actually really scared that i will go through a strong radio field some day and it could erase my key. First of all -- Nissan has NEVER sent me a notice, my dealership does not know anything about the fix and nothing is avaialble on the Nissan web site.

This is a real problem...especially since there is no mechanical way to start the car without a working key fob...no locksmith can make a new key -- this is really bad.
    you didn't figure it out after the first time? It took five more for you to get it?
  • goodkdgoodkd Member Posts: 9
    Has this issue (see title) been fixed on the 08s?
    I can only assume it has. they knew about it back in march.
  • goodkdgoodkd Member Posts: 9
    you know what happens when you assume, right. ;)
  • wh040508wh040508 Member Posts: 4
    I have been waiting for my new key since I received the stupid letter. I was at the dealer today for routine maintenance and asked when would we get the new keys. First the Parts manager had no idea what I was talking about and then I pointed to the copy of the letter that is taped to their cashier window. He said oh I don't know I will call you and let you know. He calls me 5 hours later and said that Nissan will only replace defective fobs. So I said fine I have a defective fob and he said well we will test it to make sure and if it is not defective we will not replace it but you can buy one at $18 per fob. WTF? I spent almost $30,000 on the damn car and they won't replace the key? I keep my keys and cell phone in the same pocket of my purse because there is only one freaking pocket. So now I have to wear my cell phone on my belt (not attractive) or in my pants pocket again not attractive. I don't think so, this is the biggest crap [non-permissible content removed] thing I have heard of.
    If your not overly concerned about theft, you could just leave the Fob in the car. simply remove the metal key and lock the fob in the glove box. If you lock the doors with the metal key, the fob will not automaticly unlock them. Thats the only way I know of to lock the fob in the car. That way, all you have to carry with you is the metal key for the door, and you can still lock your car. The downside is, if somebody broke in, they could start the car by just pushing the button. Although, simply wrapping the fob in aluminum foil would prevent that.

of course, there are 2 other options:

1. go back to the dealership and ask to speak with the general manager. not a salesperson, technician but the top dog. tell him how you feel. Hoping that you'll come back and spend another 30k next time you need a car; I'd be willing to bet he'll eat the $36 for 2 new fobs.

2. If option 1 fails, just drive to the dealership, hold your fob up against your phone, and make a call. Presto, Fob scarambled.
  • bluenblondbluenblond Member Posts: 5
    What if you lose the keys 1000 miles away from home in the middle of the night, what happens, I can't imagine there's no workaround designed by Nissan for these off situations.

Any ideas?
  • wh040508wh040508 Member Posts: 4
    Nope you need the electronic key to start it. It really sucks, I did finally speak with someone at corporate Nissan and she said that yes I would get a new set of keys regardless of it working or not. But they did not have a release date and she would call me back in 4 weeks. That was a week ago so I have some time to wait. I am due for a minor service for the 11K and I plan on actually speaking to the manager or most likely my sales guy. My FI was considering the Altima Hybrid but so far they way that they have dealt with this has been turning him off. I don't think he will like to hear that.
    What if you lose the keys 1000 miles away from home in the middle of the night,

the same thing that happens if you loose a regular key.........you can't start your car.
    I had my car at the dealership on monday (oct 1) for the airfilter replacement and they had the keys in.
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    Anyone know about precautions with the push button start & pacemakers? Seems there is a warning with camry hybrids that have the same system.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Can not find any such warnings in the owner's manual about the push button start.
  • lesmorelandlesmoreland Member Posts: 9
    After reading all the post about problems with the 2007 Altima I-Keys, I am wondering if anyone knows about any issues with the 2008 Altima. I tried to purchase additional key fobs from my dealership ($30 each), to protect myself against potential problems. After special ordering the the new fobs for me, the dealership just informed me that only 2 I-Keys can be active at any one time. (They did not know previously). Since I have 3 other drivers in my immediate family, and I always carry a spare with me, this creates a problem. I am hoping that the cell phone issues are resolved on the 2008 I-keys. Also, I can't understand why Nissan would limit the number of keys for a customer who is willing to pay for spares. Is my dealership correct on this issue?
    I just made a related post in the I-Key thread. I bought the 2008 Altima 2 weeks ago, and was told by the dealer not to keep my Key within 1 inch of my cell phone. I immediately ordered 2 spare fobs (for contingency protection). They came in and the dealer attempted to program them today. They then discovered that only two I Keys can be programmed at one time. I was willing to pay $30 each for the additional fobs for more spares, but the dealer can't do it. They promised to asked their factory rep about these issues over the next couple of weeks. I will post again if I hear anything. Meanwhile, my wife and kids have to take my only spare, if they use my new car (which, they of course, enjoy doing at every opportunity).
    they are not telling you the truth. 2008 altima has an updated I-key, and will not be affected by cell phones. any altima made after about march-april of last year will be fine. Nissan knew about the problem, corrected it, and will replace keys for people who bought earlier.

And yes, you can have more than 2 I-keys programed. not sure exactly how many, but it's deffinitly more than three.
    there is a limit to how many I-keys can be programed, but it isn't 2. and the cell phone problem has been corrected. no 2008 models suffer from that issue.

Your dealership is either lazzy, stupid, or both. I'd call somewhere else, or contact nissan directly.
  • ken75ken75 Member Posts: 52
    I would like something cleared up if possible. We just purchased a 2008 Altima and have been advised be the sales person that a new key fob will cost $230.00 and not the $18.00 posted here. Paying that kind of money for a wireless key seems sacriligeous and sort of bothers me, if true. Who has the correct story?
    That's great news on both questions. Surely the factory rep will be able to help the dealership figure out how to program the extra keys. Thanks for the response.
    I purchased additional key fobs for my 2008 Altima for $30 each, thru a dealership in GA who sold me the car. I think this is their cost, with no labor for programming the keys. They are trying to accomodate me (and why wouldn't they, I just bought a $30K car). So far, they have not figured out how to program them, since I was the first to request additional I-Keys. These fobs do not have the Door/glove box key that inserts into the two fobs that came with the car. My dealership told me they were not available (I guess he means yet). He also said, I could have any key-maker make additional door keys if I needed some. I am waiting for the dealer to get a factory rep to tell them why their computer system will only program two I-keys for my car.
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    We just purchased a 2008 Altima and have been advised be the sales person that a new key fob will cost $230.00 and not the $18.00 posted

Yeah that sounds right. i tell people $250. Definatley not $18.00 and it hasn't been $18.00 for a number of years.

You are also able to program up 4 or 5 keys I believe.

GP
    It appears that getting straight forward information from the dealers is difficult to do. I still have not gotten my second key fob because one of the weekend workers evidently has it for some reason. I am told it will be mailed to me but no mention of when and what kind of environments will it be subject to in the US mail. All of your postings have opened my eyes to a few interesting items. I still enjoy the car and will have to work through any issues that arise. Thanks
    If I were you, I'd contact nissan (not the dealership) immediately. There is absolutly no reason or excuse for one of their employees to be in possion of a key to YOUR car. In fact, I'd contact the dealership and tell them they have 1 hour to produce your key or you will be contacting the cops.
    You know, I had'nt even given it a thought about the ramifications of another key outside of my possession and your comment makes a lot of sense. Time to raise hell with someone. Why am I getting that sinking feeling in the pit of my oversized tummy? Thank you for the heads up.
    I had my 2008 Altima at the dealership today for some warranty work to be done on my drivers door (a hole had worn in the rubber seal around the door, which they replaced), and I asked them to try again (2nd try) to program two additional spare keys for me. They were successful today. The cost including labor was $140 for two keys ($70 each). I now have 4 I - Keys for my car, which means I can carry a spare with me at all times, my wife can carry a key to my car with her (great when we are travelling), plus leave one at the house for other family members to grab when they need to use my car.
  • muledoggmuledogg Member Posts: 1
    What dealership is this... Mine just quoted me $170 for a singe key and FOB. They also said they had to have the real key insert otherwise wothe the new fob or it would not work, sounds like I am being fed a line. I would like to contact a dealership that knows what they are doing..
    My dealer is in Donalsonville, GA (Cramer Motor Co.). The additional FOB's do not have key inserts (to lock and unlock the glove box). I have been told that those keys can be copied by any key maker. My primary concern was the I-key to start the car and lock and unlock the doors.

When the spares are made, you must have both original keys with you. They program all four keys at the same time. The key insert stays the same. It works like any physical key.

My dealer may have charged me his cost for the spare FOB's. I have bought several cars there, and they have always tried to accomodate my needs. It doesn't take much time to program the keys, once they learn how to do it.
  • acesk8eracesk8er Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a 2009 Nissan Altima, sweet ride. Anyway, I would like to get a couple of extra key FOBs to have as spares.

Questions:

1. How do you tell the difference between the old ones that were recalled and the new ones? (There are lots of them being sold on ebay and elsewhere, I'm thinking that many of those may be older bad stock.)

2. I wasn't supplied with an "intelligent key number plate" per the manual. I was only given two PROX key FOBs when I took delivery of the car. Does Nissan still supply a metal "number plate" with new cars?

Thanks in advance for replies.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Does Nissan still supply a metal "number plate" with new cars?

I got it w/ my '07.
    1. you probably can't. I definitely wouldn't take a chance, especially since you won't save that much money. even if you get the fob's from ebay, you'll have to go to the dealership to get them and your current fobs reprogrammed. plus, you'll be unable to get door keys that will unlock your doors.

2. the key number plate isn't for the intelligent key per se, but rather for the metal door key.
    I called the salesman and asked him about the metal key plate and a couple of other things. At first he asked me to look for it in the case that the various manuals came in. When he called me back he said that NIssan no longer supplies one. Yeah, right... I probably won't ever need it but it's annoying that they managed to lose it.

The salesman offered to sell me extra key FOBs at $30 each, this would be for FOBs without the metal keys. The metal keys are $76 each, I don't know if that includes cutting them for my car. He estimated re-programming all of my FOBs would cost me $50. WTF??? I figure that the programming should be gratis since I just bought a $30k car. Anyway, what do the FOBs and programming normally cost?

Thanks for replies.
    Well, 30 doesn't sound bad for the fob. not sure on the programming. if they will do all the fobs for 50, then it sounds like a good deal to me. they can't just program the new ones, they will have to do all of them.

I own a 2007 atlima, so I had to take mine in for the Ikey recall. And just to do 2 fobs took them about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. From what I understand its a fairly complicated process that can take awhile. (they do it to make the system more secure). so given that, I would consider $50 more than fair.
  • yocolyocol Member Posts: 1
    this has been very helpful to me.last evening at 7pm I bought a used 2004 armada.we drove home,showed it to our adult children at their homes and went home and parked in the drive way.about 1pm today one of our sons wanted to test drive the car but it would not start.we went out and tried different things..we searched the manual,called the dealer(he had no idea what it could be other than we must have done something to the keys or security sx.said we would have to wait until monday because parts and sevice are closed. stated hehad no idea what could have happened. I think you have shed light on the situation.I plan to return the car because I donot want to get stuck somewhere because I forgot and put the keys near my phone.thanks so much.
    I took the car to the stealer this morning and purchased two additional FOBs and one additional mechanical key. A second mechanical key is on back order. The whole process took perhaps an hour.

Contrary to what is stated in the manual, Nissan does keep key records and they can retrieve key data by VIN. The "key number plate" is not needed even if you lose all of your keys.

Anyway, I now have 4 PROX key FOBs. I figure that having spares at different locations, etc., is a good backup plan. Thanks to all for replies.
  • geo257geo257 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Altima that I'm generally happy with, except for the Smart Key. At the slightest touch the alarm will sound or the trunk will open. Who knows, maybe the doors lock and unlock as well. The key can be in my pocket, or it can go off as I'm unlocking a door to the house. Are there any solutions other than just putting the darn thing into a box?
  • rogjack6112rogjack6112 Member Posts: 27
    Wife just got a 2008 Altima with only one key insert and one four button Smartkey.
    We got another Smartkey off ebay and now are trying to find programming for less than the $90-95 the dealers are quoting.
    Do any locksmiths have this capability?

I got an extra door and glove box key cut at Walmart -works fine.

My plan is to tie extra metal key under car to open door. Then keep extra Smartkey wrapped in several layers of aluminum foil hidden in car for emergenies. I tested and the aluminum foil works and the car does not know the Smartkey is present.

I would be glad for any suggestions. Thnks
  • sandraider0sandraider0 Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: the other day my car would not start. the key fob battery was low. i changed the batteries on my fob. now the car has trouble starting. sometimes it does and some times it does not. i had the dealership put the batteries in for me. i also checked the car battery to make sure it was good. any ideas? could it be a fuse?
  • tsstdhtsstdh Member Posts: 11
    I am trying to get Nissan/dealership to cough up a 3rd key to be used as an emergeny backup. I have read that you can remove the battery and still use the FOB in the key port ot start the car. So, you could put a duplicate of the mechanical key in a magnetic box under the car somewhere and leave the FOB without a battery in the trunk or some other hiding place. I don't like the idea of not be able to start the car if something happens to the FOB while away from the car.

Anybody else used this method to prevent being stranded ?
  • rogjack6112rogjack6112 Member Posts: 27
    Would a fob hold the programming without. The battery in it?
    A locksmith could only program 1fob for me--no spare --roger
    I believe the FOB has a spot that is scanned by the car when it's in the port. They call it RFID, which is something they do with packaging labels. No juice required. The spare would only be good for plugiing into the port to get the car started, unless you put the battery in, then it would be full function. You couldn't leave the battery in and leave it in the car because it would be like leaving your key in the car.
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    My Murano is an 06. My key fobs have a metal key inside of them. My car is NOT a push button. It is almost like a normal key start car, but you don't need the key. You just turnthe key slot area without a key in it. I understand that if my fob stops working, I take out the mecahnical key an insert it into the "normal" key area. This means I can make copies of the real key and use them to start the car, I don't need piles of fobs. Haven't found out if I need the dealer to make the metal key for me. I should check this out I guess!

My son has an 08 Altima and from what I'm reading here he will be stuck if he loses his fobs?

Why would they change it? The push button looks way cooler, but doesn't seem practical in the long run.
    I think your son could follow the same plan I have. Get a copy of the mechanical key made and use a magnetic hida a key box attached under the car to get in. Have a FOB stashed inside the car with no battery to get it started. I am trying to get Nissan to give me a third FOB for that purpose. The FOB is 36 dollars and they want 100 bucks to program. That's a lot of money for an extra key. I think your right, it's technology over kill. It is nice not to have to dig for a key to get going and I am just getting used to that. I will post what Nissan's answer to my request is.
    Got the dealership to make me a key for 70 bucks. . A lot for piece of mind about lost keys. Nissan area advisor left 1 message. I tried to get in touch but no one was available due to being at away from her desk or on another call. If Nissan covers my cost I will post. The Ikey is neat, but posess a real problem if it gets lost
    or broken while you are away from your car.