Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Freelander problems are infinite

cuellargmcuellargm Member Posts: 2
I have a 2003 Land Rover FREELANDER with currently 38,000 miles. I has been a total nightmare. Besides broken coolant reservoir, (3)changes of brake pads and discs, window water leaks, headlining damaged from manufacturing, sunroof motor and sliding replaced, jet washer defective, computer reconfigured, AC heater assy replaced and cooling system bled due to coolant leakeage on heater, front speaker replaced, codes P1472, p2070 intake chamber replaced, bad brake rotors replaced, fuel pump replaced, defective ignition coil #4 replaced and adjusted gaps in plugs, tail light replaced, ignition coil #2 codes p0302,p1392, replaced defective brake pedal switch code 1221, c1222, another tail light replaced, a Tech Bulletin 80/01/03 NAS were they modified the drivers lower heater duct and housing assy, faulty Plenum Chamber with VIS motors replaced, faulty brake booster switch - removed and replaced brake vaccum switch, deglazed and adjustment of rear brakes, glass door regulator assy replaced, tweeter grille replaced, lamp assy replaced due to humidity leak, deformed spacer of the power steering line -pressure hose R&R spacer of the high pressure hose power steering bleeding to system performed all due to power steering leakage, due to excesive coolant consumption they foud a leak in the R&R housing thermostat and hose R&R intake manifold gasket both sides AND my vehicle is in the shop as we speak and has been in there since june 25, 2007 for what it seems is the alternator. MY WARRANTY EXPIRES JULY 4, 2007.
HELP!!!!!

Comments

• 08lr308lr3 Member Posts: 76
    trade for LR2 - love my new 2
  • ooomamelooomamel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Landrover Freelander that I bought used almost 1 year ago so of course the warranty has expired. It just quit while I was driving it and left me and my 1yr old grandaughter on the side of the road. So now it is in the shop and they called to tell me that the idle pully broke which in turn hit the timing belt that jumped time and bent all the valves and broke the water pump also. All to the tune of $4,500 - $5,000. Now what do I do?? I can't afford to have it fixed but I still owe $11,000 on the car. What sucks even more I have to make my payment today on a car that I can't drive..... I am sooo frusturated!!!!!!!!!!
  • cuellargmcuellargm Member Posts: 2
    I wish you luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lr02ownerlr02owner Member Posts: 3
    Hi I was wondering what came about with this issue. My husband and I have a 2002 Freelander, and what a mess. We have had the car for only 3 months and at 53k mile the tranny went out! Spent 5k to get it fixed and now two weeks later its back in the shop! We will obviously still owe money on the car, and I probably will have to make payments on a car I can't drive either. Have you had some ray of light in this? Any advise will help!!! :mad:
  • nofreelandernofreelander Member Posts: 2
    Does anyoneknow about the class action lawsuit going on here in California or Lawyer involved? I need help. Our car died on wedding day. They have replaced the speed starter and the original kick back problem with transmission is still there. Wee have to travel 500 miles pay 3000 dollars to pick up a broken car! Thank you...Missy
  • jeffs05se3jeffs05se3 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I'm new to the Freelander forum but so far I've the info here very helpful, but it would be EVEN MORE helpful if the folks who post would include the following with their posts...

Freelander year, model (HSE, SE, SE3), and mileage.

Also, doeas nayone know if the 05 SE3's are any better than earlier models?

Thanks!

~ Jeff
    2005 Freelander SE3
  • martman99martman99 Member Posts: 6
    Nothing but mechanical, and electrical issues with this make and model. Lost trans last year for no reason at about 78K (Back on the road $3,000.00 later) . Have consistently smelled antifreeze for the past two years with the dealership never acknowledging a problem existed. Now we are told the head gasket may have a leak or it may need a new engine. So either it will cost $2500.00 for head gasket replacement or $6,100.00 for a new engine. Not to mention the dealership wants to charge over $650.00 just to diagnose which way they have to go. Land Rover NA claims car is too far beyond warranty every time you call, despite the severity of the issues and the dealerships don't want to take the hit so the consumer gets bent over if they purchase this "Premium" SUV entry vehicle. Stay away from this company unless you have the $$$$ to spend for the elite versions or you just like to spend money repairing your "premium" vehicle.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    it will cost $2500.00 for head gasket replacement ...

$200 would be a high price for the replacement and I'm wondering why they would be charging over $2300 for labor. Did they specifically mention whether the head is warped? Fixing that would add considerably to the cost.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The problem is that they can't determine the corrective measures to take given the situation as it exists right now (excessive cooolant mixed in the oil) without first fully diagnosing the problem which they said will cost $667 just to tell me what is wrong specifically. Don't know if they will be specific. Similar problem with my trans last year. Their diagnosis: "Bad trans", however, they did not break it down to determine what exactly is "bad". They just simply said their procedure was just to install a new trans for $4500.00 with a 90-day warranty. I found a place that tore it down, diagnosed the problem, fixed the trans, gave a three (3) year transferable warranty and free yearly inpections for the next three years for $3,100.00.

Where are you determining the $200.00 price? Just for the gasket? They have to basically break down the entire engine to get to the problem as I undertsand it and that's why labor is so high.
    Yes, that price was just for that gasket. Actually, I googled it and the most expensive gasket I could find ran about $175. At $100 per hour for labor, $2300 works out to almost a full day (three work shifts!) to make the replacement. I had no idea LR engines were that complicated! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • sripleysripley Member Posts: 39
    If you would like more information on the car's engine defective design (even Land Rover mechanics have posted in these other forums advising the Chinese Manufactured K-1 Engine is to blame for all of these over-heating & related issues), also I had the same regulator break on the passenger rear window, cost me about $450 to have dealer-service fix that, and Fuel Pump broke at about 70,000 miles, cost about $750 to fix that (and it breaks because the filter is attached to the fuel pump assembly, so it's designed to eventually clog and require this repair). I agree, the break pads wear and rotors require re-cut and then replacement at every 15,000 miles (so re-cut at 15K, then replace at 30K, and so forth)--

forums.preloved.co.uk

www.landyzone.co.uk

home.austarnet.com.au/edwardsonline/freelanderheadgasket

This was the worst vehicle I have ever owned, including the old used car I got when I was 18yrs old. I hope and believe there will be a Freelander Class Action Lawsuit eventually, but will probably be years from now, at least that was what the attorney said. He also said you can try to sue Land Rover for the repair costs incurred, but its an uphill battle. He suggested getting rid of the vehicle quickly, as did the dealership mechanic that I spoke with in December. Everyone apparently knows this vehicle is junk, but us, or we do now.

Land Rover Maintenance and Repair

Land Rover Freelander
  • darriagadarriaga Member Posts: 4
    My daughter just bought this 2002 Freeland SE well she brought it over for me to see and I can hear like if the if it has valve lash or it sounds like if the rocker arms are ticking now the dealer where she bought it from said find out whats wrong with it and we will fix it has anyone has this problem PLEASE get back to me soon since she has to take it back to be fixed? I wish I would have gone with her I would have told her don't buy it but she wanted to do it alone plus I have read a lot of stuff stating that there is a ton of problems that go wrong with these SUV.
    Thank you! RJ
    GET RID OF IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't speak for your daughter's recent purchase, but this car was an absolute nightmare after 50K miles. Window Regulators, Heater Core replacement, electrical issues, workmanship issues, manifold issues, head gasket issues, cooling system issues (tied into the head gasket problem) and had to replace the trans ($4,000.00 - Past warranty) at about 70K. Bought it new and just paid it off (01/2008) and had to unload it for a mere $3500 or we would have had to replace the engine for $7,000.00. How many miles on this car? I don;t want to rain on her parade, but, she better start banking away some money or hope she got a powertrain and engine warranty with the deal. It is a nice riding vehicle and feels very safe. It was very unfortunate all these problems arose after we bought it and came to light over the five (5) years we owned it. Will NEVER buy another Land Rover product even though Tata Motors bought the company. Good Luck
    Martman is absolutely correct. think of every cent you waste on trying to repair a car that absolutely will end up not functioning as money you could be spending now on getting another vehicle. There is no way of repairing these vehicles and the inherent flaws in design, etc. Learn from the mistakes we all have made, dont waste money trying to fix something that will inevitably not work. Sell it, trade it, whatever you can do to get rid of it, as quickly as possible. Even a mechanic at my nearest Land Rover Dealership told me to trade it in as fast as possible, before the car died.
  • calidrive2calidrive2 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed a 9/2007 email that asked for info on a class action lawsuit going on in CA....is there one in play? And please share the information as I too am going through an ordeal with Land Rover on a Freelander that has been serviced by them since purchase in 02. At only 51,000 miles (6 yrs) and 2 1/2 months after they 'fixed' the issue...they are telling me I need a new motor for 7300k. It seems this is a common problem with the Freelanders and makes me wonder why this has not yet become a 'recall' issue.
    Any information is greatly appreciated!
  • teriwteriw Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a reply about a class action for Freelander defective engine?
    I bought a 2003 Freelander last spring and two days later the check engine light soon came on. It was taken to the dealership and they said it check out fine and the light never came on for them. Two weeks later the same thing happened again. Finally they replaced a coil pack. Two days later it happened again. Same coil pack. Then one month later it ran hot and something was replaced then. This dealership is 60 miles away. I took it to a mechanic friend and he replaced the the head that the coil pack kept going bad and the car did well for the next several months and then the valves started clicking. Changed oil and used Lucas oil. Sound disappeared for two weeks. Started back everytime it was cranked. The one night my 16 year old daughter (whom the car was purchased for) got in it after her summer job at the local ball stadium at midnight and it wouldn't crank. Had it towed once again to a local mechanic and he tells me that ONE of the timing belts broke and warped the cam and I needed a new engine. Just like most of the postings on this site, I still owe for the car and am looking at thousands to repair it once again. I can't sell it for what I owe. I would be most interested in any class suit that may help or recommendations as to what to do. They are currently searching for a replacement engine. But if the engines were faulty then I am looking at the same problems happening again. This is and has been a nightmare from day one on what I had always heard was a good car to have. Please help...
  • dkershawdkershaw Member Posts: 1
    I wish I would have read these stories before I purchased a 2003 Freelander for my son. Five months and 10 gallons of coolant later the engine went with 79900, just like every one said.... :sick: lots of coolant and lots of $$$$. The dealer where I bought the car for $8,000. ( not Landrover) gave my $3600 on a trade. lost about $4500 0n the deal but was happy to hand him the keys.... If you have one Sell it NOW !!!!!
  • ChadlandChadland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Land Rover Freelander. Last Wednesday, my windshield cracked when I put on the defroster and the a/c at the same time. My brake lights don't work and my sunroof and rear passenger window do not operate, as well. Not to mention, I can smell coolant every time I put the air on. All these problems came to light right after my warranty expired. Is there an advocacy group or someone in the Better Business Bureau that can do something about this?
    We have been filing complaints at the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin, it would who sold you the vehicle that you would want to see if they violated any lemon laws when they sold a knowingly defective vehicle.

I would not recommend making the repairs as based on what you said you have
    the following issues/costs:
    - Coolant Leak is part of the Head Gasket Failure issue, so new engine for $7000
    - Sunroof & Rear Window Regulator cost $700 & $450
    - Brake Light (could be the brake light switch which was the only recalled
    part on the vehicle--- No charge if is that any dealer will do that).

Just is not a vehicle you want to keep, see if you can somehow get it back to
    who sold it to you
  • trd77trd77 Member Posts: 1
    I have disposed my 02 freelander S about 2 weeks ago. It was a good car but had too much problems. Guess how much I got for the trade-in? $ 2500.00 for a 7 year old car with less than 80K miles on it. The dealership even told me that they might even lose on my trade-in because they were sending it to auction right away. I am now the happy owner of an 05 X3 3.0. I finally got myself a real luxury SUV.
  • tecman101tecman101 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 03 Freelander with about 78k on it. I have to admit that other than a few minor problems it has been fairly reliable. Two nights ago, whilr sitting and idling I noticed that the decline and traction lights had come on. Then I noticed that the shift indicater lights, dome lights, clock lights did not work. The transmission shited out of Park and into Reverse but the only forward gear was 4th.

It turns out that the fuse f4 in the engine fuse compartment and another fuse in the inside fuse box had both blown at the same time. Turns out f4 is for the transmission. Replaced the fuses and all was well.......for about an hour when they both blew again. I have no idea what is blowing the fuses. Can anyone help?
  • cwoolnercwoolner Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2004 Freelander SE, bought brand new off the lot in 04. I currently have about 54k miles on it and in the last week have noticed coolant leaking, causing the over heating light to come on. I have read this forum about the 2002 and 2003 problems, but I'm not reading much about the 04 model having the same problems. I have it in the shop now being looked at and waiting to hear what the verdict is. My question is... can any one tell me if the 04 model is doomed to what appears to be a major quality issue with the earlier models? While I'm here... is it common for the rear differential to go bad at 52k miles? I had that fixed about 2 months ago. I want to figure out how much more $$ to put into this thing or if I should off load it sooner than later. Thanks!
    Yes, all Freelander models from 2002-2005 (year was discontinued) have the same design-flawed engine (specifically the Series K engine which I researched and found primary components were manufactured in China). If your coolant leakage is found inside the engine it is absolutely the Head Gasket Failure widely reported. If the leakage is attributed to a cracked hose or visible drip/coolant evidence on the ground, could be non-gasket related.

I would recommend trading in or unloading the vehicle no matter what, the problem cannot be repaired and the dealer service department will only say engine replacement (for which there are no replacement engines available and all refurbished engines will have the same defect).

Save every dollar you can towards purchase of a different vehicle, Freelanders are doomed for inevitable failure and it is extremely unfortunate Land Rover is not more liable for the travesty it sold so many SUV buyers. Do not waste money on trying to repair the problem or dealer tactics to extract money from you in a purposeless effort, you should use every cent towards the next vehicle.

Good Luck.
    Thank you!

I was told today that it was the thermostat that was bad... $500 bill with a suggested coolant flush bringing the total bill to $630. They did the pressurized test and found no leaks. I'm going to have it fixed seeing as I can't trade it in with them knowing there's a problem and then actively look for another vehicle. It's too bad because I really do love the Landy! It's the perfect size and I love the AWD which isn't easy to find in an SUV.

It definitely sounds like this means it's on the way out and only a matter of time... :cry:
  • mpw3mpw3 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2004 freelander hse in for a parking light issue and was told there is a recall on the fuel pump. Apparently the recall is very hush hush because I never received a notification from land rover and can find any mention of it anywhere.
  • driver68driver68 Member Posts: 3
    I need some help, someone had posted an idea about getting together some kind of list in regards to the freelander & the problems, we the owners have had. So I just kind of threw this together & Im definitely open for ideas. You can copy and paste and add whatever you think will make it simple, for us to fill out. Also, I need input on whom we should send this too. Im not sure if this will help or if anyone is interested in the idea. I just turned my 03 flander over to the bank. My credit is ruined & I still owe $8000.00. I am without a vehicle as of now and unsure of what is going to happen in the near future. Read over it & let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    C

Dear Freelander owner, please take a few minutes to fill out this questionnaire. In an effort to compile evidence based on owning a freelander and your experience.

What year did you purchase your Freelander

What year was your Freelander

Did you purchase your Freelander from a Land Rover dealership?

If you did Purchase your Freelander from a Land Rover dealership what was the location?

How many miles were on your Freelander, at the time of purchase?

Did you lease your Freelander?

What was the purchase price on your freelander?

Was your Freelander under the original factory warranty, when purchased?

Who financed you Freelander?

PROBLEMS MILEAGE COVERED
    BY
    WARRANTY

Timing belt
    Brakes
    Transmission
    head gasket
    coolant leaking
    brake light
    head light
    brake light switch

Did you purchase an extended warranty thru another company?

If yes, which comapny.

Did you contact land Rover North America

Number of times your vehicle was taken to the LR dealership, due to engine light coming on?

Do you have documented proof of the times your car was at the dealership?

Did they fix the problem on the first visit?

If not how many visits?

Did you contact the NHTSA?

Did you replace the engine in your Freelander?

If yes, what was the mileage?

what was the dollar amount quoted to you to repair the engine?

Was your Freelander under original factory Warranty?

How long did you have to wait for an engine?

Did they provide you with a rental car?
  • ventanaventana Member Posts: 3
    hi i have a 2002 freelander s.
    yup i bought one .
    now i have the freelander transmission problem the F4 from hell.
    and i have been studing all these manuals and i have got my parts on order,but first i'm going to explain why the replacement of these transmissions is a huge waste of time.
    first the transmission as a whole has a alot good points and the faults with them are small.
    9 outta 10 times the f4 error is nothing more then a simple replacement of the 9 solennoids in the trans valve body.
    the cost of the for a , b and c with a case of 12 one liter bottles lrn402 texaco fluid with O-rings comes to $421.54 cad cause i'm from canada, and these parts can be orderd from any landrover dealer.i will list part numbers the end of this post along with the names of the jatco service repair manuals and updates.
    this job takes 4 hours to complete and thats with the brake and timing solenoids aswell.
    the total cost for this with all 9 solennoids is about $850 cad there is no need to pay 3000 to 5000 to replace or repair this transaxle unit what so ever.
    if your not a do it your selfer buy the parts and take them to a transmission repair center and the cost with labor shouldn't be over 1200. still alot better then 3000 to 5000 for a rebuilt that could still have this problem.
    if that dosen't fix your problem
    and in very rare cares the tranny needs to be replace ,but befor the last resort step check and make sure that the * tcu * (timming control unit) isn't faulty.
    sometimes if your lucky it's just the solenoid wire harness inside the valve body 2 hour job and can be done right in your drive way. cost for part 55.37 and can be gotten from any LR dealer.
    the cost for this type of repair is with the lrn402 atf (thats a case of 12. trust me buy the case and your next fluid service will alot cheaper )is 244.25 befor tax.
    land rover can not do tranny repairs because there techs are not trained to do them .
    thats why the just pull and replace only...
    but jatco who makes this transaxle unit has said that the problems with the returns more than 80% are this solenoid problem.
    i myself have done this repair on many 2002 s se hse and 2003 s se hse ,jag ,vw golf, mazda 6 and mpv and it's always the solenoid or wire harness.
    don't be fooled buy the fancy gibberish spouted buy unwise landrover techs they have not clue about this transaxle cause land rover did build it in the first place.
    this list is the parts number of the commen solenoids that fail including the price from the landrover dealer.

1.tht500010 (shift a solenoid price 67.26

2.tht500030 (shift b solenoid price 36.70

3.tht500020 (shift c solenoid price 68.66

4.tht500040 (2nd & 4th brake timming solenoid price 68.25

5.tht500050 (2nd & 4th brake duty solenoid price 89.97

6.cal500050 (O-ring price 2.82

7.cal500060 (O-ring sealed 8.73

8.lrn02 (tranny fluid price 15.74 x 12 = 188.88

these prices are in canadian and the part numbers from landrover
    there is a fluid control solenoid too but out of all the jatco JF506HB transaxle unit i have repaired i never found a bad one .
    the service manual i use for my repairs is the ATSG techtran maunal wich is for the
    JF506e (thats the name of your transmission)thats found in the vw golf, jag x type ,landrover freelander ,mazda 6 and mpv.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

if you choose to got at this your self the only solenoids that will work in a freelander transaxle are either for the freelander or the jaguar....mazda 6 and mpv and vw golf parts WILL NOT WORK IN THE FREELANDER...

i will be watching the forum and if anyone here has any questions
    i would be happy to awnser them..
    i hope this help ease the pain of freelander ownership and stops people from spending money on replacement transmissions.

my next post will be about the cost of timming belts,cam belts and idler pullers how to and how much my cost vs the dealer cost. and how much the rip off really is and i will also talk abit about the fun of head gasket replacment cost and dealer ripp offs.

Don't get taken! learn how to fix your vehicles yourself. you will save alot of money in the long run.
    it's just a car and it dosen't hate you ;)
  • shamfamshamfam Member Posts: 10
    I have an 05 Freelander and have all the same problems. The car is a heaping pile and needs to be burned and pushed off a cliff. That's just my opinion. I'm going through arbitration with it on the 30th. I'm sure I will post will my results.
    did you read my post or just the first few lines?
    That's correct. Mine is in the shop currently for diagnosis... was told more than likely a head gasket problem but could not fully determine that until the engine is ripped apart. It could be something worse but they won't know...until the engine is torn apart. Well then what do I do if it's worse - pay them to rip it apart and put it back together again, with nothing resolved? The estimate for me was $1937 which includes 10 hours of labor @ $117/hour. Also mentioned was the heater core leaking... which goes hand in hand with the head gaskets so I would need to get that fixed too unless I want the same thing to go wrong again. I've been trying to save up money for a down payment so I can get rid of this POS but looks like that will be going towards fixing it first. I can't trade it in with the problems it has...
  • sicntiredsicntired Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I was just informed by Mr. Gutman the attorney handling the class action lawsuit, that he had talked to the Ford attorney and they were willing to give me $3000. I refused. I had an 03 freelander SE, still under original warranty, had to replace the engine at 32,000 miles. LR states it was customer neglect. I had all of the paper work stating that I had the proper oil changes. My FL sat at the LR dealership for 9 months and then they found a rebuilt engine. During this time I was driving a rental car, SUV which was supposedly covered under the warranty. When all was said and done LR charged me $7000 for a rebuilt engine. I paid my car note & insurance for my car to sit on thier lot. They also refused to pay the rental car bill and my credit card was charged $6,000. I'm going to fight this to the bitter end, I have nothing to lose. I turned the car back into the bank last month. My credit is ruined & I don't have a vehicle. If you or anyone can help me please let me know. I am in the process of writing a formal complaint letter to Ford. So any input would help.
  • shamfamshamfam Member Posts: 10
    I did read your entire post. That is great that you have gone above and beyond to take care of your freelander. My husband and I have done the same. My husband is a contractor and does all the work himself on his equipment along with his work truck and our cars. In my opinion, I think this car will always have the problems it does no matter who or where the parts are coming from. I'm just very unsatisified with it. I did however love the car just not the problems that came along with it. ;)
    there not as commen as the transmisson problems but they do occur and as for your heater core leaking and being related to the head gasket problem ,is it just coolent coming out or when you let it run is the exaust white ?
    head gasket arn't costly to repair if you know how to tackle it right.
    i would make sure befor you do the repairs make sure that your service shop is familar with the truck cause sometimes people who really don't understand this truck do the repairs and cause more damage then they fix .
    so get a second opinion about your heater core befor your have the truck worked on .
    i have relpaced me a b and c solidnoids and the tranny work like new again and the next problem i'm repairing is the top end of the motor head gaskets spark plugs timming belt and cam belts idler pullys and so on . it's sounding a bit rough and the a loud clicking sound coming from the engine but that just means that the cam belts are stretched and need to be replaced this happends about every 30.000 km but i keep on it and i never have to replace my motor .
    my freelander has 170.000 k and it's got the same motor and tranny it came with from the factory, so it is a bit fiddly to own a freelander and just like any britsh car there rubbish but off road you are hard pressed to find something that can do the same job as this truck. so for an allrounder this works great! you just have to be skilled with a wrench to keep it running strong.
    good luck and after i tackle the problem i'll post part number and cost and where to get these parts from and whom ever it was that said heat gaskets are like 1700 buck uhhh no there not there about 165.00 from LR dealership... there is to much bitterness about the vehicle and the dealership mainly ford motor company cause thats who owned LR when this truck was made didn't give a crap about there consumers but since landrover changed hands alot of new and better polices have come out you can now get any part for this truck and there is no blacked out parts and the price of the parts have become affordable so owning one of these is just a little less pain full
    i'll update later with all info about the repair .
    thanxs
    ventana:

The head gasket repair quote was from a LR dealer and included 10 hours of labor and fixing the gaskets, assuming that's what the problem was. I'm not sure about the heater core. The service dept rep told me that it was leaking "a little". I asked if he could show me where and didn't really want to do that, but said it was in the foam under the carpet. I have never noticed any smells in my truck such as the sweet smell people refer to.
    Geez if all this happened under Ford's ownership...it makes me wonder what kind of quality vehicle they are producing right now... especially given the financial concerns... are they cutting corners to save money?

Unfortuately for LR, I will never buy or lease one again. This thing has been a nightmare after the warranty was up. And you better believe I'll be telling everyone I know not to own one either!

:lemon:
  • sunnie2sunnie2 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter bought this heap in Sept 06 Told the salesman she needed a reliable car, single mom, needed something safe.What a joke! After she bought it it was in the shop for almost 6 to 7 weeks and she had a rental. They said it was all fixed. Well it wasnt. NOt to mention it cost about $100.00 just to change the oil. They really saw her coming. So it"s been in the shop more than it has been on the road transmission, coolant problems (which they keep saying that they fixed) I was in her car the other day and it smells like antifreeze so bad it made me sick! The Right Axel went out on the highway so she pulled over as soon as it was safe and they claimed that she drove it, so the warranty would not cover it. It ended up costing ME $3000.00 to fix. (she is still paying me back) Everytime something goes wrong they say it is not covered and they sold her the top of the line warranty, not worth the paper it is written on, because they find every way to get out of not paying for it. So now that I look at her warranty papers it does say that the radiator is not covered, and her radiator has a crack in it and since they told her it would cost $1000.00 to fix it which she cannot afford, she has had no heater or Air now and just keeps putting water in it, which they told her as long as she kept water in it, it should be OK. So now I'm really mad as I told her to let me see her warranty papers. Under Cooling on the warranty covered parts are: Radiator, engine cooling fan motor,radiator fan,and fan clutch. Under A/C HEATING is condenser; compressor clutch, pulley: evaporator; and tempature control programmer. Sounds like radiator to me! She has had this problem ever since she bought it, that is why it was in the shop after she bought it, and they told her it had a new transmission when she bought it,then they said they never said that. Problem; the car is in my name I was a co-signer but somehow when the paper work all came it was just in my name not as a co-signer as the owner. Her name is not on it at all! She has tried to bring it in, to the only dealer for Landrover around here and they always tell her well it has had this problem and you havent done anything about it so it is not covered now. When in the first palce they would tell her, it was not covered. But when she goes back they act like it would of been had she brought it in right away. So now I'm bring it in as my car which it is. And we will see what they tell me since I have taken ownership if it. She owes $15,500.00 on it, buried in the loan and cannot even trade it in, they will only give her $2500 to $3500 on a trade and $3500 is pushing it. Long story how she got so buried, poor kid has no luck, the car she traded in she had been in a wreck, a nissan ultima great car, she was a tiny bit buried about $2000. At they first totaled it, after the wreck, then they changed their mind and said it was not totaled! It had nothing but problems, thats how she ended up in the Landrover! Anyway there is not a lemon law for these terrible cars, if anybody has any ideas how to help please respond Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wat1954wat1954 Member Posts: 2
    Have you had any luck with a class action?

Thom
  • beckyjacbeckyjac Member Posts: 1
    You seem to know a lot about this model, so Ithought perhaps you might be able to give me some guidance. I have a 2002 FL, with 97K miles on it now. I have already had all of the heating/cooling issues taken care of, but now I am having problems with my brakes. In the past month I have had the brake pads replaced twice. They not only continue to squeal, but now the TC light has begun coming on in the dash. This is the little TC surrounded by a dotted circle, a picture of a FL going downhill and an exclamation point. What does this mean? Do I need an Excorcist? Can it be fixed? :sick:

Thanks!!
  • maureen18maureen18 Member Posts: 2
    Dear Nightmare, it doesnot end. There is a lemon law and to make a long story short. I have been trying to get my Freelander 2002 engine fixed since December of 08'. By going thru the Better Business Bureau, Land Rover Canada, Land Rover Corporate. Global TV news, the dealership, a Lawyer from the United States Mr. Gutman and also added my name to a list that is trying to sue Land Rover if they can get 50 names hermetic@tiscali.co.uk It has come down to, Land Rover will not take any responsibilty for there faulty engines and I am not prepared to pay 11000.00 for a new engine that has no quarantee, that if I repair it, it will even last past the 50,000km again. The end result is the consumer is taking the financial burden. Even if we hand, our Land Rovers back to the financial institutions and ruin our credit that doesn't stop the banks from trying to sue for the remaining amount of the loan, once they sell the vehicle at Auction. I wish that the financial institutions could get together and go after Land Rover to recoupe the lost revenue because they are a much bigger player. And that might be the only way that the government would step into help. Right now I'm trying to take the negative equity of my loan of 14000.00 onto another vehicle loan. My payment will be much higher, but hopefully I will find a reliable vehicle that will last the length of the loan.
  • will1970will1970 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with everyone here I have a 04 Landrover that I freaking purchase in 2007, I work for company that I am bless to have a company car at my disposal at all times so my Landrover has spent most of the time in my drive way parked. About a week I go to turn it on and puff a little white smoke this after 5months of sitting in my drive way during the winter months, I had the car towed to my personal mechanic of 8 years and he mentioned that he thinks the engine may need to be replace here is a Freelander that rarely saw the road and only has 54000 miles on it. I feel having conversation with the Landrover con-men will produce nothing. What other steps has anyone else has taken to be more agressive about this matter.
  • rocky52rocky52 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 Freelander, after one day there is a message on the CD player that says enter code number...I tried about 10 dealerships for the code, but they all said that there is no code for this this radio, that I need to take it in. Then ..the fees.
    I should have read all the comments on this site before I bought that SUV.
    I own this vehicle for only 3 days
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's a long shot but sometimes the code is on a sticker in the glove box or even on the radio itself.
  • buddobuddo Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

I just purchased a 2002 FL S. I found this site because I was looking for info on the TC control. I bought the FL from a small used car dealer (who I happened to know~maybe we won't be friends now!) When I made the deal, he told me the TC sensor had to be replaced. He sent it to someone else who put the $60.00 sensor in, anc charged the dealer $350.00 for labor. Then he tells me that it has to go to LR to have the computer flashed. I sign all the paperwork, take a check from this dealer to pick up my FL at LR....the computer "flash" was $450.00 so now were just short of $1000.0 THE DEALER paid to have this done to sell me the S. I pick up the S and 2 minutes down the road, after I now LEGALLY own the thing...it does it AGAIN!! And now; Ihave found this forum and I am thinking of having someone blow it up!
    And now; Ihave found this forum and I am thinking of having someone blow it up!

Please don't do that! We have a lot of people here who rely on this forum for advice and valuable information. :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • buddobuddo Member Posts: 2
    I wasn't talking about blowing up this site!! I should have explained that I meant having someone blow up my 02 FL S~!!!! This site is awesome...except for all the bad news; it is EXTREMELY informative~!!!!
    Thanks
    Bud Stevenson
  • maureen18maureen18 Member Posts: 2
    My night mare is over, my Land Rover is gone after 6 months of trying to get the engine repaired. I was able to move my negative equity into a 2008 Ford Escape, with no help from Calgary Land Rover, Land Rover Corporate or Land Rover Canada. I no longer have the headache of trying to get it fixed. I saved my credit that was the main thing. I wish all Freelander/Land Rover owners Good Luck. I will never own another Land Rover as long as I live.
  • kokobluekokoblue Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the forum, but I to have a LR nightmare. I own a 2004 LR Freeland that I purchased in May of 08 and the LR dealership has had in longer than I have. It started with the check engine light, we finally got that resolved and then I started having coolant leaking problems. It is at the LR dearlership as I speak and after being there for over a month. They called me today and said that I to have a head gasket leak and they could get me another engine (used of course) for $9,000.00. My sunroof doesn't work either. My LR has less than 80,000 miles on it and I think that this should be a factory defect. I did not buy the LR from a LR dealer but I believe that the dealer I bought it from knew they had problems and did not tell me about it. If someone know the name of the attorney and telephone number that is handling the class action lawsuit, please send me the information I would like to add my name to the list.

Thanks for any advise that I can get.
  • mom62650mom62650 Member Posts: 5
    Add me to another Freelander po'd owner.

Here is the situation I'm in -- my daughter drove the car ( replaced fans, temp gauge and thermostat) and continued to have an overheating issue -- she was told it needed a water pump and timing belt ( anywhere from $1200 -- $3500 replacement cost). I had it towed to my home at a cost. NOw my local shop says they can't diagnose the problem, or duplicate the overheating and don't want to replace the water pump, timing belt based upon another shop's diagnosis.

I made the assumption after reading these posts, that the underlying problem is probably the head gasket -- she was smelling coolant in the vehicle. The overheating caused the timing belt to crack, is that reasonable?

Anyway, I contacted the lawyer posted above, and they state they would like a copy of the repair estimate -- which my current shop WON"T give me, as they couldn't find a problem and want to charge me hundreds of dollars to investigate the problem.

Seems like everytime I turn around, I get more confused. I'm ready to junk the vehicle, although it looks perfectly new -- what a travesity to find out that a defect in ALL the engines is known, and there is no remedy!
  • plastishaplastisha Member Posts: 3
    I received a letter from land rover about a recall on the fuel pump on my 03 freelander. Problem is the fuel pump went out on me in 07. Land rover says I can't get reimbursed because I didn't take it to a land rover dealership to have it replaced. How can I resolve this issue? Does anyone know? I paid $887.00 I would really like to get some money back. This car has cost me more than I like to think about.
  • seebullseebull Member Posts: 2
    Hi His name is Howard Gutman & he is in New Jersey. He is working on my case as well as others with Freelanders. My 2003 needed the new engine at 40,000 miles. It took my Freelander being towed to the LR dealership 10 times (really) before they figured that I needed a new engine-mine cost $15000-it was not under warranty anymore. After I got the new engine-I waited 6 months while my LR was outside in the rain snow & sleet-I figured that everything was fine. Not the case. 4 months after the FIRST engine (& 8 more times to the dealer) I needed ANOTHER new engine!! So I googled Land Rover lawsuits & found Mr. Gutman. As far as I know he is in contact with LR & is trying to get the class action together ( last I heard from him he still needed more people to file). Hope this info helps.
  • seebullseebull Member Posts: 2
    Good luck. Land Rover North America never helped me once. They returned my calls after I left 21 messages with them plus 2 faxes. That took 5 weeks. I just left another post with the class action info it that helps you. The LR dealership I used didn't help either. They could not even figure out the problem in the first place.