Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Cruise Control Problems

Comments

• mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    Thanks Dana... We have a total of 10 case numbers now. Keep them coming...

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam
    (200708101001) Gerald
    (200708140250) Cindy
    (200708170082) Ron
    (200708210991) Steve
    (200708220207) Kay
    (200708280198) Bill
    (200708140096) Dana

To everyone who is reading this thread and have an 06 - 07 RAV4 with the Cruse Control Problem.

Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 and get a case number like Charles,Pam and I have.

Tell them there are others with the same problem and reference our case numbers. The corporate guys get these comments/complaints... Maybe they will read these and light a fire under technical support for a fix to our RAV4 Cruse Control problem.

Post a message back here with your first name and case number so others can call and reference our case numbers on this problem.

Mike
  • wdpcpawdpcpa Member Posts: 21
    My contact is ---wdpcpa---AT----y-a-h-oo.c-om.

You have to take out the dashes. It is my spam protection from Spiders that roam the internet looking for addresses.

Bill
  • sumrx4sumrx4 Member Posts: 40
    I just got of the phone with Toyota looking for further info on the issue. I was informed that while it is a known issue at this time the ony solution is to follow thru with the arbitration.
    To me this tells us that we should all file for arbitration and stop bother trying to get a solution from Toyota.
    Yesterday morning I spoke back with my Toyota dealership's Customer Relations Manager and they stated that at this point there was nothing else they could do. The meeting I had with them last week was useless.

I just left a meeting with my lawyer. He stated that in my state we could pursue the Lemon Law Act without going with the Toyota arbitration process. I will be starting my Lemon Law paperwork process next week. You might want to check with your state's Office of Consumer Affairs or their website for further information.

If you would like to contact me about any of this please send me an email at mlmcgahee@gmail.com.

Mike
    Spoke to my dealer today. Sent them a link to the video and also to this thread. They didn't seem familiar with the issue so I take that as a good thing.

I don't think all RAV4/4Bangers behave in this fashion. In fact, I have read a posting in another forum where the owner of a RAV4/4Banger said he wasn't having this issue.

I have asked my dealer which cars have the erratic gear hunting. I think it may be important to issolate how widespread this issue is and with what models.

Bill
  • gbegbe Member Posts: 3
    I just got the 2007 limited Rav4 4 cyl. 2WD and just put on 1150 miles.
    After reading some feedbacks of Rav4 owners who have the same cruise issues, I also notice my Rav4 cruise control has similar problem as well. Analyzing most feedbacks from Rav4 owners on the forum, I can say that this is not a transmission problem. Because of the drive by wire technology, and inefficient time for testing (?), the computer control software need to be upgraded in order to fix this problem.
    There are 3 basic functions that need to be synchronized. The signal from the encoder (I think)at the gas pedal, the output control the throttle valve, and the signal to detect the speed of the vehicle. If the computer slow responds reading/control on one of them, the transmission will down/up shift badly. Some of us suggest to spend $$$ to add on aftermarket cruise control, I don't think it works. It is because the throttle is now controlled by wire (computer). There is no physical cable connecting to the throttle.
    Possibly use ferrites to suppress noises that interferes with signals may help. or replace the encoder ( if it is cheap quality). Just my guess. We are dealing with the electronic design issue here.
    Is there any electronic guys out there may exchange idea and come up with a temp fix/ less cost so we all can enjoy our Rav4 ride. Other than this cruise control issue and the bumpy suspension, I really love this Rav4
    Bill and gbe,
    While I appreciate your suggestions and ideas I think it's probably pointless to try to come up with a fix for this on our own. When talking to my dealer about possible solutions he advised me that he could not "experiment" on my vehicle to try to fix it.
    I also don't feel we should have to try and fix it either temp. or permanently. While I cannot speak for others here I am not going to do anything to it because it's under warranty and I am not going to give them any excuses not to be responsible for it.
    Again I appreciate your comments and I am not bashing either of you for your thoughts.

Mike, What state are you in?

Summer
    Hi Summer,

No I would never try to fix it on my own. I just think if other models with drive by wire don't behave in this fashion neither should mine.

I read with interest the post about what has to happen to make this work properly. If we pass this on to car critics I think it gives good background as well.

But mostly, I think it helps me in making an assessment. Right now I am of the opinion that Toyota can fix this thing. I don't have an opinion on if they will or not.

Today I called Toyota and gave them the video link. I hope this helps them see what we are talking about. I had previously provided it to my dealer.

Bill
    Thanks GBE. Very informative post. If you do come up with something, I would be interested.

Don't forget to call Toyota and get your number. I think the more of us that do that, the quicker Toyota will fix it.

Bill
    I agree also that Toyota will fix it when they determine the cause. Just like you I find it hard to understand why it doesn't effect all of them. I have two neighbors and neither have experienced any trouble.
    It seems to me that if it's a computer issue, some models must have different computers or other components,hence the fact of no problems. Why couldn't they differentiate between the computers and switch ours out with the type that has no issue.
    That's my take on situation.

Again I feel they will fix it when they find out how. I am sure they don't want persistant problems with any of their cars. My position is simply that I am not willing to wait however long it take for them to find a fix. I would be willing to give them a reasonable amount of time if they asked for it but I am being told that they have no idea of what time frame that is needed. To me this is unacceptable especially since some here are driving 06s with the same trouble.

Summer
  • ces1938ces1938 Member Posts: 61
    I guess I have to confer with what you guys are saying but it does tick me off big time.. especially the way that Toyota blew me off when I called them and my dealer was no better, they were going to let me take a tech for a ride but never did, they drove it around the block and said it was fine..... I am thinking of trading it off for another brand SUV but have spent so much money rigging the Rav up for my power chair.. :( :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: Charles
    Summer, I am in GA.

I went back to my dealership this morning to try and get paperwork for a last effort to fix the issue. They stated again there was nothing they can do and it would be useless to provide any paperwork stating that. Gezzzzz.....

Georgia :lemon: Law Here I come.....

Mike
    I tried to get some type of service order also (just to have something in writing) and they would not give it to me.

With what I have been told from Toyota, and read here, I feel that it is useless for any of us to bother going back to a dealer. There is nothing they can do without Toyota doing something first.
    I think we are at a point where we have two choices...seek arbitration,either through Toyota's 3rd party or lemon law proceedings, or live with the problem until Toyota fixes it.

Charles, I feel for you. My brother in law needs his car w/c equiped and it is expensive!!!!
    I would not trade it myself. It isn't your fault and why should you have to take the financial blow from trading a new vehicle. Let's make Toyota solve it for all of us!!!
  • me1939me1939 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased my 07 Rav4 on Aug 9th in Tyler, TX. I noticed the problem on the way home from dealership. Took it back like everyone else and was first told nothing was wrong. Took the technician for a ride and after a demo he agreed that it was not right. They contacted the corporate powers who said the problem had been previously documented and they should have fix by the next week. I am to bring it back again on Sept. 3rd and a technician from Dallas is suppose to calibrate something. I have sought arbitration and have been talking to the Toyota Customer Experience Center. The case manager said that there were no safety concerns and I quickly let her know that there were. Taking kids to a rural school with no cruise control is a hazard. case # 200708220207 and arbutration case # 200708281553. Kay
    Mike,
    How many times have you had it to the dealer? I just spoke with a "lemon law" attorney and he advised me that most states require we have documents where we have taken it in to a dealership for repairs three or more times and the issue is still unresolved. I am now at two and will be finding my next closest dealer next week. :mad:
    I went into the Service Dept. at my dealership this morning to have them document a third attempt. I meet with the Service Manager and the Customer Relations Manager. They stated that writing up another service order for the cruise control problem on my RAV4 was useless and unnecessary since it was out of their hands at this point. The Service Manager also stated that He had talked with the Service Manager at the other local Toyota dealership about my problem. At this point I am unable to get any further documentation on a repair for my cruise control problem.
    I am going ahead with the Lemon Law process with only 2 attempts at this time...

It's a shame... I love everything about my RAV4. If it wasn't for this cruise control issue, I wouldn't have a problem!

Mike
    Hi Kay,

I am in Dallas. Would you email me. I would like to pick your brain a bit further.

My email is --wdpcpa----at---y-a-ho-o-.-c-om.

Take out the dashes. That's my spam avoidance.

When I get your email I will trade phone numbers. I think it is interesting that the technician is from Dallas and my dealer is also from Dallas.

Bill
    Hi Mike,

Document it yourself. Type up a certified letter and send it to them stating the problem you brought it in for and they won't service it for that issue. State that they refuse any further service order.

Ask them to respond if they disagree. Bingo. Third visit documented.

Bill
  • gbegbe Member Posts: 3
    Hi Bill,
    Definetely, I will call Toyota and ask for a number to join our list. The more of us on list, the quicker Toyota acts on this issue.
    I still want to try my assumption. If it helps, I will inform you the result. One thing I would like to make it clear is that if our Rav4 are still under warranty coverage, do not attemp to modify or fix anything unless your car exceed the warranty period. My ferrite is just a snap on wire device. It would not electronically harm the engine control module. My guess is 85% of cruise control problem comes from the engine control module that is mounted under the hood on the right. This is either electronic design issue or assembly issue.
    I don't want to take lof of your time here. I believe Toyota had already been aware of this issue. Surely Toyota will fix it if they have enough record relating to safety issue, Toyota will not issue a recall to replace this unit now because it is a big cost for them. I feel the heat from many of us here because of this problem. Just the matter of time, Toyota will correct it, they are smart enough when to issue the recall. Everyone still remmembers Firestone tire recall?

GBE
  • rayray6rayray6 Member Posts: 12
    I spoke to a coworker recently who has an 06 4cy Rav. I asked her if she ever had a problem with her cruise control. She said, "Just once, but then, I hardly ever use it." The once was when she had three people in the car and went on vacation. I told her the problems I've been having and she asked for links to this site. I still say most if not all 4cy 06 and 07 Ravs have this problem. Some may not know about it because they don't use cruise much, or don't drive with more than one person in the car very often, or don't use cruise on hills. I also still insist that Toyota knows and has known about this problem for quite a while and has made a conscious decision not to fix it anytime soon. After all, they put the line about not using cruise on hills in the manual (does any other manual say that?), so they must have know about this problem all along. Why won't they fix it? Well, that I don't know for sure, but my guess is it isn't an easy fix. When I presented them with the facts of my situation they promptly suggested going the arbitration route. I sent in my papers 7 days ago and they claim they will respond within 40 days. I'm hoping for a decent resolution, like they replace mine with a 6 cy version at little or no cost to me, or buy mine back and I'll look at a Honda. If I had outfitted my car to acommodate a wheel chair, I would request that they transfer those acommodations to the replacement vehicle or pay for new ones on whatever car I end up with. The booklet on arbitration says that the customer is not bound by the arbitrator's ultimate decision, although Toyota is. So, if any of you go the arbitration route and don't like the outcome, you can still contact a lawyer at that point and look for a better solution.
  • nipper101nipper101 Member Posts: 5
    Even though my 07 Rav4 has the same issues with the cruise and shifting I haven't seen any feedback on the gas mileage of anyone's. My mpg is pure crap! for a 4cyl. It is getting 16.4 in town,22-23 on the highway. I have checked it on every tank so far and just over 5000 miles. What's up with that? How's yours mpg? Ron
    My wife is a Para legal and works for a lawyer. I have typed up a letter with yesterdays date, time, vehicle mileage and statements my dealership made to me. I have had this notarized and filed as a backup. Thanks for your input.

Mike
    I hear your pain Ron, mine is a 2006 4cyl, 4 speed automatic.. I get around 18 mpg in town and 22 on the road, that is when I use the cruse control.. I sold a nice 2002 Honda Odyssey minivan, with a 240 hp v6 engine and five speed trans... it ran great, the cruse worked great, I was getting around 18 to 19 mpg town driving, and 24 to 26 mpg on the highway..I sold it to get a car that got a lot better millage.. ie, Rav 4 rated for 24 to 30 mpg...oh yea!! One thing I have noticed when driving on highway, if you don't use the cruse you can get up to 25 to 26 mpg under decent driving conditions, so you might try that when you take a trip, wont do you any good in city driving tho... :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    I got 27 mpg on the highway, but only once in perfect conditions. That is, there was only one person in the car, no ac, and no cruise. Since summer came and my break in period ended, the ac and cruise have hurt the milage significantly. On our vacation, the mpg dropped even more because of more people in the car. What is happening is it drops down to third gear a lot, even at highway speeds. I think this is another indication of an engine too small for the size of the car when loaded. I sure wish I had taken a test drive with the whole family and asked if there were any goofy restrictions (cruise control) in the owners manual that I should read before I purchased this vehicle.
  • hawkmechhawkmech Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from a trip with the 4 cyl. I had 4 adults in the car and all the luggage, ac running constantly and I got 28 mpg, I think I could have hit 30 without the load
    I work out of my RAV4 and drive 300+ miles each week. Since I bought the vehicle the first of May, I have put almost 10,000 miles on it. I traded in a 2003 Nissan Xterra which never had a moments problem on the 2007 RAV4 for better gas mileage. So far I have been pleased with the mpg of the RAV4. My only problem is the cruise control issue.

I have been getting between 24 and 26 mpg in combination city/hwy driving.

Mike
    Do you have the V6 or the 4 cyl?? I have the 4 cyl, 4 speed auto. I don't get near as good as rayray6, in fact not as good as mlmcgahee...but guess that is the luck of the draw when you buy a new car, my 2002 Honda minivan always got better than most people that had the same kind of vehicle, in fact it constantly got better mileage than what was the EPA estimate... sure wish I still had that vehicle, it was better than the Rav 4 no doubt...
    :( :sick:
    Is there really a need for a all out recall? Why noy just issue a TSB so dealers can perform the repairs if and when someone complains of the issue.

Also why the big deal of using cruise on hills? I have an 04 Ford f-150 that I use to pull a 27' travel trailer and I use the cruise when towing that! Granted I wouldn't do it in the mountains but my point is why should hills effect it.
    It is not the fact that the tranny shifts to maintain speed it's the fact that it doesn't shift correctly.
    I tend to agree with you in Toyota's knowledge of the problem but the solution is not to require us to change our driving style.

It all just doesn't make sense, but I'll take Toyota's suggestion...arbitration papers going in the mail today.

Summer
    Summer,

I agree. We shouldn't have to change our driving style. A TSB would be fine.

I am experimenting with a work around. Based on earlier comments, I have given up using the resume option. When I tap the breaks I cut off the cruise. When I get where I can use the cruise again, I turn it back on and reset it.

So far so good, but given that my problem is intermittant, I can't tell for sure. But I have had some short highway trips with no jumping about.

I will keep you posted.

Bill
    My dealer viewed the video of the gear hunting. Their technician called Toyota. The contact person then called me. Toyota is going to be issuing a TSB very soon and they will call me in for the fix.

In msg 116, Kay said she was told they would have a fix in about a week. That's close to what I am told.

Others might check to see if their dealer is telling the same story.

Bill
    That would be great... but seeing is beleaving... As I stated before, I just want a fix for the cruise control problem.

Maybe all of our case numbers sparked an interest for a fix.

Mike
    Bill,

Hope you are being told the truth. I phoned the CRM at my dealership just to see if he had any news. I told him what you had reported and he sounded very suprised.
    He advised me that the regional rep from Toyota was coming by Friday and he would see what he knew about it.
  • crtzlowcrtzlow Member Posts: 16
    I've been talking back and forth with my dealer and CA for about a week and a half now. The Parts and Service Director at my dealer told me my best bet at this point is arbitration, hence the week of phone calls. I was given an arbitration case number (#200708310737) and my case was forwarded to a case manager named Chris.
    I spoke with him this evening and he explained the arbitration process to me like this. He will mail me a package with a booklet and a form to fill out. It should be here in "10 to 14 days" but that's to allow plenty of time for the Post Office to lose it. The same form is in the center of the Owner's Warranty Rights Notification book that should have come with the car. He said I could go ahead and send that form to start the process then all I would need from the packet would be the booklet.
    They have 30 days from the time the form is received by Toyota to set up a meeting. It usually takes place at the local dealership and is presided over by someone familiar with the auto industry such as a retired ceo, a lawyer or some such person. After they make their decision Toyota has 10 days to comply. I am not bound by the decision but Toyota is. If I choose to pursue further legal action the proceedings are admissible in court.
    He also told me to be very specific in what resolution I want because most of the arbitrators, if they deny your request, won't offer an alternative. If they do it's out of the goodness of their hearts.

Sorry this is so long but I thought everyone would like to know the details.

On another note; my owners manual doesn't say anything about flat roads. Page 166 reads "The cruise control is designed to maintain a set cruising speed without requiring the driver to operate the accelerator.... Within the limits of the engine's capabilities, cruising speed can be maintained up or down grades. However, changes in vehicle speed may occur on steeper grades." It also notes that the speed may increase when driving downhill.

Cindy
    Thanks Cindy.

Keep us posted on how the arbitration process goes.

Also, thanks for the note from the owners manual.

Looking forward to how this all plays out.

Bill
    Just to follow up...My CRM phoned me yesterday and said that he spoke with the regional rep about the problem and an upcomming TSB. The rep knew nothing about a pending TSB from Toyota. He also stated that there could be one and he just was unaware of it because usually e got the info at the same time the dealers received it.

Cindy, any new news on the arbitration? The center just phoned me on what type of hearing I wanted, verbal or written. They are to call back with a schedule for the verbal hearing.

Who elso has filed for arbitration and what is the status of your process?
    Good luck on your hearing, sumrx4!

I just got a call from the dispute resolution center asking what type hearing I wanted. They are also going to call me back to schedule a date and time for my verbal hearing. I hope it's soon, I'm ready to be done with this.

Cindy
    I just got off the phone. My wife drove from Dallas to Round Rock with 2 people and luggage in the car.

There was no gear hunting. She was very surprised.

However, she did fill the tank with premium. This is my habit on road trips. I don't know if that had an effect but I want to document all possible clues.

I do feel that if it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't that lends stregnth that something is wrong. If it is operating as spec, it would be doing it all of the time.

I hope everyone keeps us posted on what's going on till we get this solved.

BIll
    Bill, do you have a 4 or a 6 cyl.?? and what kind of gas mileage did your wife got on that trip?? I took a 350 mile trip and did it on one tank, it held 12.7 gallons of gas, that is the best mpg that I have ever got on the suv, 27.5 mpg... it was mostly flat country here in Okla. driving around 60 mph and not using the cruse very much, the instant it started to shift down I would kick the cruse out and use the pedal myself.... but I too have had times when the cruse would work and than again sometimes it would not (most of the time)... I have not been able to get much help from Toyota nd my dealer... Charles :sick: :lemon: :lemon:
    Toyota just called and offered to buy the vehicle back. They said they are aware that some are having problems with the RAV 4's. Waiting for an email outlining the offer and will post again when I have more info.
    I just wanted to make you aware.

Cindy
    Same thing happened to me. Before the arbitration hearing Toyota called and sent a letter overnight offering to buy back the car. There is an allowance for the mileage on the car at the date that I first brought it in with the problem, but overall this seems fair to me. I'm glad Toyota is stepping up. Of course, I don't have a check yet, but I've been told this will happen pretty soon (within the next two weeks).
    Toyota called me today too. They want me to drop my RAV4 off at the dealership tomorrow morning for a regional manager to inspect it for possible buy back or maybe to swap it out for something else. I will also keep everyone informed.

Mike
  • thrthr Member Posts: 10
    I love my 2007 RAV4 4cyl fwd. Then I began to experience the "buck n jump" described by ces1938 04 Jul 2007 in msg #1. Oh no! how could this be, I've had five Toyotas with superb results. My RAV4 assembled&engineered in Japan has a terrible flaw in the performance of the cruise/transmission/accelerator performance. I took 30 pages of your comments to my dealer after several phoncons that insulted my intelligence. Finally, I drove the service mgr. and a mechanic for a ride. I demonstrated the "buck n jump" repeatedly at low cruise speed and got an admission that the performance was not right. But they had no fix.
    I have taken your advice to call the Customer experience and was courteously given a case number[200709060769]. The dealer service mgr. called the next day. Now I am waiting. I was heartened to read msg # 141,142 & 143 today. Looks like Toyota really does not have a fix. Settlement? Maybe.

Hal
    Hi Hal,

My suggestion to you is call the service center back and have them give you an arbitration case number. The form they will send you to fill out is identical to the one in the center of the warranty rights book that came with your car. You can send it in before you receive the one from them to go ahead and get the process started. The booklet says to send a copy of your registration with the form. I didn't know this so didn't send it. It doesn't seem to have mattered. Best of luck.

I asked the lady today about possibly swapping my 4 cyl for a 6. She talked to Toyota and I would have to pay at least $2,000 for the upgrade and still be subject to the usage fee of 20 cents per mile (per the MS lemon law). I'm thinking my best bet is to sell the car back to them and find one on my own.

I'm not sure if I will try to find another RAV or if I'm gonna go with something else. Anyone else figured out what you'll get if you sell yours back to Toyota?

Cindy
    Thanks Hal... We have a total of 11 case numbers now. Keep them coming...

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam
    (200708101001) Gerald
    (200708140250) Cindy
    (200708170082) Ron
    (200708210991) Steve
    (200708220207) Kay
    (200708280198) Bill
    (200708140096) Dana
    (200709060769) Hal

To everyone who is reading this thread and have an 06 - 07 RAV4 with the Cruse Control Problem.

Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 and get a case number like Charles,Pam and I have.

Tell them there are others with the same problem and reference our case numbers. The corporate guys get these comments/complaints... Maybe they will read these and light a fire under technical support for a fix to our RAV4 Cruse Control problem.

Post a message back here with your first name and case number so others can call and reference our case numbers on this problem.

Mike
    Glad to hear the buy back experiences out there. My abritration hearing is 10/09. We'll see if I get the same type of letter beforehand. I'll will let you know what happens.

Summer
    The weather here in GA has been cooling off quite a bit lately. Several times a month I have to make a 140 mile round trip for business. Today I drove my RAV4 without the AC on and the cruise control worked perfectly with no problems at all. As soon as I turned on the RAV4 AC the cruise control started acting up again.
    In my case it looks like the added drag on the engine from the AC compressor is what's causing the computer(drive-by-wire) to shift the transmission in and out of 2nd and 3rd gear on inclines.

Has anyone else noticed this... or can you test this theory out with your RAV4.

Thanks,

Mike
    What happened to reply #148 and 149? They do not show up on my screen. Is it my computer or does everyone see this?

Summer
  • pam14pam14 Member Posts: 12
    Those two messages do not appear on my screen either. Pam
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Posts disappear for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes people post and then refresh their browser and the message gets reposted, and we'll remove the dupes. Or someone posts spam, and that gets removed. Or an off-topic post is moved to the appropriate make/model discussion. The numbers don't reindex themselves when this happens, so you'll notice gaps now and then.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    And sometimes the author has second thoughts about the message they submitted and deletes it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
This discussion has been closed.