Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Cruise Control Problems

Comments

• mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    Thanks Don... We have a total of 5 case numbers now. Keep them coming...

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam
    (200708101001) Gerald
    (200708140250) Cindy

To everyone who is reading this thread and have an 06 - 07 RAV4 with the Cruse Control Problem.

Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 and get a case number like Charles,Pam and I have.

Tell them there are others with the same problem and reference our case numbers. The corporate guys get these comments/complaints... Maybe they will read these and light a fire under technical support for a fix to our RAV4 Cruse Control problem.

Post a message back here with your first name and case number so others can call and reference our case numbers on this problem.

Mike
    We feel your pain Pam.... If we all stick together and complain loud enough to the right people maybe they will get a fix sooner....

Mike
  • sumrx4sumrx4 Member Posts: 40
    The dealer called me today and said everything was working correctly. They actually talked to my wife (I feel for them) and the lady tried to tell her that her car shifts when going up hill. My wife then asked her if her tach. jumped constantly from 2-5 grand and her response was "no mine doesn't do that, we'll look at again"
    I am going to call Toyota Again now.
  • rayray6rayray6 Member Posts: 12
    I took the service manager for a ride today and I was able to recreate the tac jumping, engine screaming, what-the-heck-is-going-on situation with my 4cy Rav4 on cruise control.

Rather than search for an appropriate hill, I find that it will do it on most any hill if you get to highway speed and set the cruise, then push the cancel button on the cruise control, let the speed fall 5mph and then push the cruise up to resume.

He agreed that something was wrong and took down the vin number and said he would contact Toyota and then call me. He called later this afternoon and said to bring it in tomorrow. He told me, "Toyota has a bulletin out on this." He said he needs to "adjust the ECM." When I asked what the ECM was, he said it is the computer. He also said he wants to "check some other things." So, I'm hoping this isn't a run around.
    Let us know what the Toyota TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) number is when you go in tomorrow. That way we can reference it to our Toyota Service Dept.

Mike
  • dana12dana12 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I just contacted Toyota today and got a case #. I don't have it with me right now but they are supposed to contact me within 1 day. I am experiencing the same problem. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks Dana
    Just to keep you up to date with my situation....After talking with Toyota customer care I was advised to contact the customer relations manager at my dealership. They provided me with the name and also said that a copy of my claim was being submitted to this individual. In talking with him he said he was going to look into it today and if need be he would take it to a higher authority in Toyota.

This being said I would suggest everyone who has made a claim with customer care to call back and get the contact info for the customer relations manager at your servicing dealer and talk with him or her then call customer care back and have that info added to your claim. This may not result in a fix but it will add more info to our case.

It may take some time but we all know "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"
  • pam14pam14 Member Posts: 12
    Rayray6, The initial response from my Toyota service department was to replace the ECM (also called computer processor) and they in fact ordered a new part.

Before the part arrived my local service manager called me back and said they were now being told by Toyota HQ that the computer processor was not the problem.

Good luck, Pam
  • granny26granny26 Member Posts: 1
    Just got back from the dealer....had to PROVE it had a problem! They finally admitted that it was not working right and would "get back to us next week"!!!!! I sure hope I don't have a wreck driving along.....sure won't use the cruise! I tried to call the number listed above to get a number....no luck. Will try again! I love my RAV and sure hope I don't have to switch to something else!
    My service writer called and told me they had "adjusted" the ECM. Never knew you could "adjust" a computer. After several minutes of conversation she finally admitted they never recreated the problem they just did this and wanted me to "try it out". After talking with the customer relations manager I think I have finally gotten someone to truly understand what my complaint was. He said he and the shop foreman would drive the vehicle later today and he would call me with their findings. Here's hoping!!
  • ces1938ces1938 Member Posts: 61
    Well sumrx4 we feel your pain but the truth is that may be what ya have to do, cut your losses and go with something, and I can darn sure recommend one,.. My brother bought a 2007 Mercury Mariner hybrid, I went with him yesterday for a 300 mile trip, in Oklahoma and Missouri, some flat and some with pretty darn good hill, the cruse worked flawlessly on every hill, plus it got 33 mpg and it a 4x4 at that..It is one fine ride, sure wish I had bought one... It was only a couple thousand dollars more than what I paid for the Rav 4... sucks huh... Charles
    Charles, if it was that easy I would. The only reason I bought this thing was because my wifes van died and I had to buy her something. We were 1 month from closing on our house so a car purchase was not in my financial plans,know what I mean! I am not about to buy something else. I am either gonna worry the dealership until they either fix the problem or give me a REALLY GREAT deal on something else. From my experience as proud as these dealers are of their Toyotas I don't see that deal coming my way. So for now I'll just worry them.
    8/16/07 9:29am

Dealer just phoned me back about my car. They were able to duplicate the problem naturally(no hand brake, not coast & resume).
    Here is the explination I was given... It is a computer issue with no current fix. They have documented the problem with data collected from the onboard computer while driving my vehicle. This data has been sent to Toyota's research dept. in CA. Until they issue a correction there is nothing a service tech can do to change it.
    His explination of what was happening is when you place a load on the engine the computer tells the tranny to shift out of overdrive, if the load (or hill) is enough the trans will shift down to second..hense the tach. going to 5k...then the computer sees the load as not enough to warrant 2nd gear so it shifts back to 3rd,then it thinks the load is too much so we go back to 2nd and the process continues over and over.
    Here is the real bad new for all of us, This may take along time to fix because when the researce dept finds a correction for the problem it has to be approved by the EPA because it effects the runnng of the vehicle.

Now I at least have a concrete reason why they need to sell me another vehicle at that great price I spoke of earlier.

If you have any other questions just ask.
    Hope it helps
    Summer
    The bulletin my Toyota service department was refering to was EG061-06. Unfortunately, it isn't anything new. As a matter of fact, he said it was a fix for problems on 06 Ravs that all 07 Ravs already have.

The rest of my story is like sumrx4's above. They took it for a test drive and duplicated the problem with a compter attached. They said they were very happy to be able to monitor exactly what was going on and that "Toyota would be very pleased to get that information." They claimed that this is the first case of this problem in the "Chicago region," (I live in western WI)and now that they have something to work with, I should not worry, that they will fix it. They're going to call me when they hear back from our region's Toyota engineers. I replied that they should work together with all the others who are seeing this problem and again referenced the five case numbers.
    Well it still sounds like a run around to me as usual, I called and ragged on them again but when I told them to buy one from the Mercury Mainer and install it on my Rav, they did not like that much, than I told them it was a safety issue and they probably will be sued for millions of dollars when some one has a wreck, they really didn't like that and hung up on me with out giving me another case number.... Maybe everyone should start calling them and bitching to them about the safety issue of their cars would get them on the stick to "getter done" Charles
    The whole thing to me is that they obviously KNOW there is a problem. I bought the vehicle with (a working) cruise control listed on the sticker. If it doesn't work properly, then they should be obligated to provide me with a working vehicle until they can fix it. The more I drive it, the less in value it becomes. This IS a safety issue as well. I am still waiting for the case manager to contact me. He has called a couple of times, but when I return his call he is always busy.
    I agree totally with you dana. I have no problem with the dealership or the people there but I see this as Toyota' responsibility. They should rectify the situation by whatever means necessary other than making me wait however long it takes to find a solution.
    My real complaint now is not the situation with the cruise directly it is more with the fact that I own a vehicle that is 8 months old and it has a mechanical problem that I am being told connot be fixed at this time. That is a problem in itself.
    I have two comments today. First, if I tried to sell my car now on the open market I would have to disclose to the buyer that there is a known problem with the cruise control. That knowledge of course would lower the value of the car. In other words, few buyers would be interested.

Second comment--does anyone have knowledge of class action suits?? Pam
  • floridagal2floridagal2 Member Posts: 14
    We are now seriously considering this car (07); however, after reading this info about the cruise control problem appears to be a real safety issue. Does it perform poorly only on hills? Not reall mechanical, but wonder anything other than a complete changeout could solve the problem. Wonder why they didn't fix it from the 06.

Looks like some folks see it as such a problem, they wouldn't buy it again.
    Anyone know if it is on a particular Rav4 engine -4 cyl or 6 cyl?
    My reading of this and other websites indicates that the problem is only with the cruise control on the 4cy 06 & 07 RAV4 model. On my car, it mostly happens on hills, but it doesn't take much of a hill, especially if there is more than one person in the car. While the cruise control isn't really the most important thing on the car, I certainly would not have bought the RAV4 if I had known I would be stuck in this situation. The Honda CRV is so close by almost every measure that a properly working cruise control would definetly swing me that way if I was looking today. If you happen to be working with a Toyota sales person and you decide against the RAV4, be sure to mention this cruise control hassle and the related safety concern to them.
    Does anyone know how to determine the #'s for the engine tranny combination. Is there different combos other than 4&6 cylinder and 2&4wd. If we can all determine what numbers we have and relay it to Toyota it may help them and inturn help us. I am refering to the specific part or serial #'s, something more than just 4cyl.
    I assume yours is the 4 cy. We're planning on the V6 for more power, so I would hope that one would be fine. The CRV seems much smaller and if we didn't go w/RAV4, we would go w/Pilot of HL although the new HL is just too large.

Thanks
  • vmrodrigvmrodrig Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I live in San Juan Puerto Rico and I got the same problem. I tried to call the Toyota Customer Experience Center number and they didn't take my call because I had to try the Puerto Rico's distributors (I tried the number they gave me and got no answer). I am going to talk to the dealer today with the information I just read.

My Rav4 has another problem: from time to time I smell a bad odor, similar to sulfur. It is not from outside. I already tried different things and I am sure it is not from outside and it is not the fresh air system. The dealer said it may be a lacquer they are using in the AC system to prevent rust and it will stop after 10,000 miles... Can you believe this? My wife is going to make them write this nonsense to document it.

After two months (1000 miles), 3 check-ups with no help, I rather change the RAV4.

Vic
    In my experience with new cars the sulfer type smell is from the catalytic converter and it usually disipates after time. You have stated that yours is not from the outside so this may not apply to your case.

On the cruise issue...

I have spoked today with both the customer relations manager and the president of my servicing dealer for advise on where to go from here. The CRM advised recontact Toyota customer care and talk about arbitration on the matter.
    I did this and let them know that waiting an unknown amount of time for a fix was simply unacceptable. If the problem cannot be repaired in a reasonable amount of time I am not going to keep this vehicle. I also expressed my concern about the fact that everyday I drive this vehicle it is loosing value and I need an answer to what is going to be done about it. He then proceded to inquire if I wanted Toyota to buy my car back. I told him (and this is honestly how I feel) They do notnecessarly have to buy it back. I would be willing to take another RAV4 providing I could drive it to determine if the cruise was working properly, but something must be done other than asking me to wait. He then, with my permission, started another case involving arbitration on the issue. So the way the conversation ended was that a third party would be sending me paperwork to fill out within a week. After they get this paperwork back they will review all the info on the case and make a decision on the matter. He also told me that whatever the decision is Toyota is bound by the third party ruling. I have the opportunity to appeal if I wish, but Toyota cannot.
    Bottom line I am fairly satisfied with the results at this point. Everyone I have delt with,especially at the dealership, has been very open and honest(I feel) with me and although some at customer care didn't seem too concerned all did take the time to hear me out and document my concerns. I am just happy that even though it's not fixing my car we are working towards a solution. for now I will just wait for my paperwork and keep you here up to date on what goes on.

By the way I am not writing this in an effort to say that Toyota is buying my car back. And I am not saying they will do the same for all of us so please do not misquote me to anyone. I am simple stating my experience in the hopes that it help some others.

Sorry to make this post so long but I do have one more thing to say. The local TV station here has a group that takes issues such as this and will do a report on them. That will be my next step if I do not get a resonable solution from this arbitration. I am saying this as a suggestion to any of you. Maybe one of us doing something like this could be the start to a nationwide effort to end this problem. If any of you wish to do so please do, but rest assured this will be my next step.

Again I apologize for the length but I thank you for reading my thoughts.

God speed to all of us
    Summer
  • nipper101nipper101 Member Posts: 5
    We have experienced the same cruise control problem with our new 2007 RAV4 that we purchased in May. During our trip from TX to ND, soon after we purchased it, we began experiencing the problem immediately. Took it back to the dealer in June and they found nothing wrong. After another trip to KS the problem became even worse. Took it back to the dealer last week and they acknowledged that we had a problem with no solution at this time. They drove two new 2007 RAV4's that were on the lot and they experienced the same thing with both of them. Called Toyota for a case # and was told they would contact us within two business days. Case #200708170082. Thanks for all the info we have received to date.
    Ron
  • dawdydawdy Member Posts: 1
    We have experienced the same cruise control problems with our 2007 Rav 4 that we purchased in Nov. 2007. At 3314 miles we took it in the 1st time and was told it had no problem. We took it back 2 more times and they said could not fine a problem. We then decided to drive it hard to may it really tear up so they could fine the problem. The computer finely went out. Replaced that no fix - replace the transmission-no fix. Visited with our dealership on Friday and Saturday and after Toyota told them they could no tell them when they might have a fix, our dealership bought our car back and sold us a v6 to replace it. The v-6 has the 5 speed transmission. We did not get a case number.
  • nipper101nipper101 Member Posts: 5
    I am glad for you. I really was going to get the V6 to the start, but thought the 4 would get better gas mileage thus sacrificing for less power. Of course we never have got the mpg they said the 4cyl would get but still had good zip. What is your mpg in the six? I drove a six and boy they run great! Also what is your rpm at 70mph? My 4cyl at 70mph is 2500rpm, which is about 500rpm higher than I think it should be,thus using more gas!Please reply asap. Thanks
    Have any of you contacted the Better Business Bureau in your state and filed a complaint?
    I have not notified the BBB, thought about it but didn't know if I should complain about my dealer, or Toyota... did you file a complaint??? Charles
    Yes I did!!!

I received message this morning from Toyota verifying that the arbitration papers had been sent to me but I filed a complaint with the BBB anyway. I filed against Toyota motors because I feel it's toyota's obligation to fix. The dealers are simple representing the manufacturer and have no control over how the cars are built.

I figured it wouldn't hurt and would ask that each of you consider doing the same. Takes about ten minutes to do so online.

Here's the link http://www.bbb.org/
    Go down the menu on the left for "dispute resolutions", then choose "bbb auto line", then simple follow the directions. There is also a phone# if you would rather use that option.

On the home page there is also a link to the lemon laws in each state. Interesting reading!!!

It is not my intention to start a smear campaign against Toyota. I feel they make a good product. I am suggesting this to help get the word out to others that can help us and we know how Corp. America dislikes this type of publicity. I am just trying to help all of us.
    Well, my dealer says he is sure Toyota will fix it, but he just can't say when. I called the Customer Experience Center and they gave me a case number: 200708210991-Steve.

The guy I talked to started telling me about the owner's manual and offered to send out a district guy to take a second look at the car, blah, blah, blah. I explained that this is a known problem and I need to know when it will be fixed or when I will get a car that works. He said he would have a senior case manager call me back tomorrow.

If things don't start rolling a little more quickly, I do plan to contact the BBB and my guess is that Consumer Reports might be interested in this too.
    I agree with your dealer..They will fix it, but the problem is WHEN!!! Next week, next month, next year, we need an answer now, not in another 10 or 15,000 miles.

Make the contacts (BBB/Consumer Reports etc.)and let Toyota know who you are contacting about this!

Some of you may think I am extreme but I have gone around my neighborhood and talked with other owners about this. I have two on my street and both say they have not experienced the problem but anyone I find that has will be given all this info to mull over.

My feeling is this: if anyone of us had a financial "problem" and missed a payment or two do you think they would give us time to figure out how to "fix it"!

Tired of waiting
    Summer
    Thanks Ron and Steve... We have a total of 7 case numbers now. Keep them coming...

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam
    (200708101001) Gerald
    (200708140250) Cindy
    (200708170082) Ron
    (200708210991) Steve

To everyone who is reading this thread and have an 06 - 07 RAV4 with the Cruse Control Problem.

Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 and get a case number like Charles,Pam and I have.

Tell them there are others with the same problem and reference our case numbers. The corporate guys get these comments/complaints... Maybe they will read these and light a fire under technical support for a fix to our RAV4 Cruse Control problem.

Post a message back here with your first name and case number so others can call and reference our case numbers on this problem.

Mike
    I had a meeting this morning with the customer relations manager at my dealership. I explained that I was happy with everything that the dealership has done for me and that this was a Toyota manufacturing defect with no solution in sight.
    We have people in this forum with 06 RAV4's that are having this same problem. I fell two years is plenty of time to fix this issue. I gave them a CD with AVI video of my speedometer and tach while the problem was occurring. I also gave them all of our case numbers.
    They stated that they would contact the district manager and escalate the problem.
    I will keep you updated...

Mike
    The Customer Experience Center tells me that there is no know date of when a fix will come about. I replied that since the problem started with 06, 4cy RAV4s and continues through 07 models, that waiting any longer is unacceptable. She refered me to my "Owner's Warrenty Rights Notification" booklet that is included in the same zip pouch as the owner's manual. This booklet contains the form needed to contact the National Center for Dispute Settlement which I am doing. sumrx4, I'd like to talk to you about your claim if you would contact me at sdj448@sbcglobal.net. Thanks
  • me1939me1939 Member Posts: 8
    (20070822020) Kay
    Thanks Kay... It looks like you might have 1 number left off of your case number.... Everyone so far has a 12 digit case number, but yours only has 11. Please check it and get back with us.

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam
    (200708101001) Gerald
    (200708140250) Cindy
    (200708170082) Ron
    (200708210991) Steve

(20070822020) Kay

Thanks,
    Mike
  • wdpcpawdpcpa Member Posts: 21
    I got mine in Dallas and my dealer told me it was operating the way it is supposed to. However, Toyota is telling you to operate on flat ground only.

I don't really want mine if it only operates well on flat ground.

I will let you know how this goes. I think I will discuss this with Ed Wallace as well. Might be interesting for how the resolution process works.

Bill
  • me1939me1939 Member Posts: 8
    You are right!
    My Case # is (200708220207) Kay
    My case number is 200708280198.

I am pretty hopeful for a couple of reasons.

1. This isn't happening to all 4 cyl Rav4s according to the guy I talked to. They think there is a computer problem but have issued a bullitin yet.

2. Toyota acknowledges it as a problem and think they can fix it.

Looks to me like if it isn't happening on all of them, they just swap out the cruise where it is happening. Or put on a different cruise.

Bill
    Thanks Kay and Bill... We have a total of 9 case numbers now. Keep them coming...

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam
    (200708101001) Gerald
    (200708140250) Cindy
    (200708170082) Ron
    (200708210991) Steve
    (200708220207) Kay
    (200708280198) Bill

Mike
    I don't want to be unnecessarily negative, but I do think this problem exists with most 4cy Ravs. There aren't that many 4cy models purchased, and I'm sure many people were talked out of the problem with excuses like "use cc only on flat land" and "it's working like it is supposed to." If you drive it alone, on flat land, you might not notice it as much. Me, I like to take my family along on vacations. Also, I haven't heard of anyone who has had their's fixed. I think it is more serious than just replacing the cruise control or sending a new code to the computer. If they could do that, they would have done it by now. This problem started on 06 Ravs. They have told me they will fix it but they can't say when. That tells me they probably have to recalculate the EPA's gas milage formula and get it approved, not to mention change their marketing and bragging rights to no longer include "30 mpg" which I doubt anybody every got anyway. I think there is a nation wide push to reevaluate how gas milage is calculated in the next year or so; Maybe Toyota is waiting for that to have an excuse for lowering theirs. My most discouraging thought is that perhaps the engine is too small for the size of the car, when the car is loaded with a few passengers and/or luggage. It is starting to seem that way to me. That would explain why it is so hard to fix quickly. Until it costs Toyota more to fix or replace the problems than it costs them to change the things I mentioned above, they are going to take the least expensive route. It's hard to calculate how much the negative publicity will cost them, but I'm glad that all of you are helping to push them towards doing the right thing by fixing or replacing our cars.
    "It's hard to calculate how much the negative publicity will cost them, but I'm glad that all of you are helping to push them towards doing the right thing by fixing or replacing our cars. "

I'm hoping it won't get to that. Surely they would like to get it addressed before video starts showing up on "You Tube".

Bill
    Summer,how is your arbitration process coming along? I am going to start mine shortly. Has anyone else started one?
    Mike
    As of today 8/29/07 I have heard nothing. I was told Monday 8/20/2007 that my papers were in the mail. I was called Thurs. 8/23 and told that the papers "were sent to the wrong dept" (whetever that means) and were being remailed. If I don't hear something by Friday's mail I will get what is in the manual paperwork and go that route.

FYI: I was told that the same arbitration papers being mailed to me are included in the paperwork given with each vehicle sold. Perhaps some of you might want to find this and start your own arbitration process. If the paperwork is supplied with the vehicle I would assume one does not need permission or authorization from Toyota to start the process.
    Just a little something to think about.

Summer
    The arbitration paper is in the middle of the Owner's Guarantee Manual (or some similar term). (The paper is not in the large owner's manual which describes all the mechanical operations of the vehicle.) It seems an easy document to fill out and then send to the Arbitrator, not Toyota.

I plan to start working on my paper too. My procrastination has to do with hating to start car-shopping again. I thought the RAV 4 was an excellent model for me, but if Toyota buys back my current vehicle I don't know what other vehicle I would acquire. Saturn is coming out with a hybrid SUV in November that is similar to RAV4. Pam
    I have not heard back from Toyota yet. I hope that means they are looking at what to do about this.

I did a google to see what Camry owners were saying. I don't find anything. So if the Camry 4 cyl is not having this problem - or not much - then the Rav should not be. I want to ask them about that.

I drove my Rav with my wife last night. Set the cruise once. I had some small inclines and it shifted fine. None of that rapid in and out stuff. It would down shift for a bit and then go back to overdrive. Car was loaded with new TV so it had some weight.

That the trouble doesn't happen the same way is interesting to me. That is seems more prevalent on the RAV is also interesting.

I hope Toyota is reading this. The thread might give them information.

We might want to exchange Email addresses at some point.

Bill
    I have not heard anything from Toyota since I called and talked to them, like you, I hate to start looking for another car, I use a power wheel chair and have paid a bunch of money to rig my Rav to haul the chair...I would like to see them fix the problem, but doubt that they will unless they get rid of the computer controlled cruse... my email is "cswanson6@cox.net" please let me know if you get some news... Charles
    (200708140096)Dana
This discussion has been closed.