Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Audio Video DVD MP3 iPod AUX

w20219w20219 Member Posts: 3
Does anyone know how to take apart the dash to get at the head unit of a Veracruz?

I'd like to add an iPod adapter that hooks into the antenna jack but would like to know the correct way to take apart the dash first.

Comments

• anto1anto1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I don't have an answer to you questions but am wondering what ipod adaptor are you looking to add i.e name and where did you get it?
  • scott613scott613 Member Posts: 14
    An aux jack is coming as a dealer installed accessory. I contacted Car & Driver as their review noted that the test vehicle had an aux jack in the dash. The reply I got on May 18th was that there was 3500 of them awaiting final approval to be sent to dealers. This info was given to C&D by Hyundai PR.

It seems that final approval is a very slow process. :(
  • w20219w20219 Member Posts: 3
    Thought I'd try the Scosche FM-MOD01 until something better was available.
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Heck, just get a Garmin Nuvi 360. You get the Nav, Bluetooth for the phone and MP3 broadcast all in one.
  • cruzgirlcruzgirl Member Posts: 3
    For some reason the stereo in my Vera Cruz is not listing song info when playing a cd. It does show info for XM. I've tried using an older store bought cd, a brand new store bought cd (soundtrack to a new movie), and a burned cd. Nothing works.

Help!!!
  • carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    What type of information are you expecting. Should be track # and elapsed time.
  • cruzgirlcruzgirl Member Posts: 3
    I was told by the dealership that the CD, like when using XM, will show the name of the song playing. As you mentioned, it simply shows the track number. I guess the dealership was misinformed.
    I've never seen a CD player that shows artist/song information. Your salesman needs to attend some training sessions in his/her spare time when not misinforming prospective customers.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Toyota radios now have CD Text which does that sort of thing. Thats if the CD is cd text capable.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    My Dodge Magnum (2005) has had the CD artist/somg display for 3 years. Works great.
  • jmaulsbyjmaulsby Member Posts: 54
    Anyone figured out how to "lock in" information when in XM mode? Specifically, I want to lock in either the song title or artist name, but I have not figured out how to do so (if it can be done at all). By the time I look up at the display when a new song starts, it has already scrolled through and back the station name and I always know that anyway.
  • elvispelvisp Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

Just got a 2007 VC SE AWD 2 days ago. My wife just tried the Cd player. It doesn't work right. It starts and stops. Sometimes going over bumps, it will start again.

It's going into into the shop in 4 days(6 days after driving off the lot)!

I hope I don't regret buying a Hyundai.

Anyone else have any similar problems?
  • posystmposystm Member Posts: 34
    Ya know, every time I read about a problem, I say the same thing. However, for the features and price, I can't complain. Now I have to throw a CD in mine to check before it goes to the dealer for them to fix my initial quality problems I posted elswhere.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Part number is U8550-00100. Includes an FM modulator. Only $65 USD at the dealer. Should be here by now.
  • enrico202enrico202 Member Posts: 5
    Got one (aux. input) this week. Installed it myself. Works great.
  • scott613scott613 Member Posts: 14
    What's involved in the install? How long did it take you?
  • enrico202enrico202 Member Posts: 5
    The hardest part was removing the trim panels on either side of the radio before removing the radio/ HVAC controls complete. It would have helped if they told you where the hidden clips are located.
    The kit actually adds an FM modulator that the aux. jack feeds into. It ties into the radio thru the antenna cable, and therefore I believe is the same for all radio varients in the Veracruz.

The rest was pretty straightforward. I followed the instructions to a tee, and it took me about 2 1/2 hours to complete.
    I was in no rush and took my time so I didn't screw anything up.
    It works just great with my Zune ( I don't have an i-pod).

Part No. U8550-00100 contains complete installation instructions in the box with all the other components. The instructions are very explicit, and walk you thru the installation step by step.

I'm happy, since I saved about $100+ on the labor.
  • msuberlymsuberly Member Posts: 1
    Enrico, can you scan and post the instructions? I have an aftermarket FM modulator but don't know how to get to the back of the radio. If you can't post, can you e-mail to michael@suberly.com?
  • tinkscruztinkscruz Member Posts: 2
    I've had my veracruz four days, first the info stoped being displayed when I played a CD, then XM... now I have no back light, or info on the display. The dealer ordered me a new stereo. However, i am seeing this isn't just a one of freak incident....lots of people seem to have stereo issues!!!
  • tinkscruztinkscruz Member Posts: 2
    What is the most recent info on how to add an ipod to a veracruz 2007 SE?
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Hyundai isn't going to install the FM-modulator aux jack after all. Hyundai's quality group won't allow it to be installed, even though it was a part used by Ford. It seems that the volume level when using the aux jack is low, so that if you change from using the aux jack to the radio or a CD, the sound level is too high and might cause complaints. I don't know what Hyundai is going to do with all the aux jacks that they have sitting in a warehouse.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    If this is indeed true, Hyundai is the best salesperson for the CX-9 I've ever seen!!
  • broochbrooch Member Posts: 18
    Bought a 2008 AWD Limited at the beginning of October, was promised the Ipod Jack. I am still waiting for it, does anyone on this board have it installed in their vehicle or is everybody on the same boat? Other than that I am a very satisfied Veracruz owner. Keep on Cruzin'
  • wrightbenz1wrightbenz1 Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering if any tried to purchase the dvd system and install it. I know I can just buy an after market unit but the factory system would be nice.
  • perdido2keyperdido2key Member Posts: 28
    My 08 Limited has the worst AM radio I have EVER had in a vehicle.
    My 8 year old Honda Goldwing motorcycle does beter than this thing!!!!
    Anyone had this problem too??
    Anyone know how to inprove reception????
    You have XM satellite radio and you're worried about your AM reception? I've never even used AM/FM in my Limited VC since purchasing it in June.
    Tell me where I can locate Rush Limbaugh on XM ?
    I guess I need to download his radio program onto my ipod !!!
    There's all kinds of talk radio available on XM (including conservative like Rush). Glenn Beck's on channel 158 from noon-3 eastern every day. I'm just a huge fan of XM radio, with 5 radios on account at the present time. There's nothing like driving more than 100 miles and never having to change the station.
  • anthemanthem Member Posts: 1
    i dont have a VC but i have an azera with tinting over the rear window where the antenna is. apparently the metals in the tinting film affects AM reception, does your VC have a radio antenna on the rear window?
    Its not on the rear window. The AM antenna is wrapped around the 6-8 inch stubby FM antenna on the rear roof.
    Thanks,
  • rgerdesrgerdes Member Posts: 13
    I purchased one of these Hyundai Aux Input devices after taking back the Griffin iTrip I bought at Best Buy because the sound was crappy. I paid the Hyundai dealer a lot to install their device, which it turns out is worse than the iTrip for sound quality...mainly because here in Phoenix there is already a radio station on one of the two FM frequencies on the device. The other frequency is LOWER than the band on the FM radio will go...makes you wonder what genius designed this.

I have had to escalate the argument all the way to the dealership GM who has agreed to take out the device and refund my money. I'm really disappointed given that even the lowly VW Jetta has an Aux input feature! Check the frequency 88.3 fm before buying this part. If there's a signal there on your radio, save yourself the hassle and don't buy it...it won't work.
  • asxasx Member Posts: 10
    I don't have a Veracruz yet but consider it as my next vehicle. I have few questions regarding MP3 playback from CD-Rs on the CD changer, system with no navigation.
    How well the MP3 functionality implemented? Any quirks or incompatibilities noticed? Does it support sub-folders and how deep the hierarchy can be? Does it support ID3 tags and shows artist/album/song names on the display? Does it support unicode (non-english) names?
    I have to admit I have not tried the MP3 feature yet. I found the dealers and salespeople don't know the answers to technical questions, and are usually hesitant to say they don't know...but don't take their word for it. Go to a dealership and test it out yourself to see how it works. Good luck.

R
  • dink12dink12 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the Veracruz GLS (with the premium package) for 3 days now and overall I love it!
    I am a bit disappointed with the sound quality of the radio, though. When I play CDs or listen to most music on FM or XM the sound is fine. However, I listen to a lot of talk radio, and the AM sounds pretty muffled or like the sound is coming out of a box. On XM talk radio, the sound is somewhat "metallic" or "tinny." It sort of even sounds like it is coming out of a tube, if that makes any sense. I can reduce this a bit by minimizing the treble, but it is still quite notieceable, and I have to maximize the treble on the AM to get it to sound less muffled.
    Does anyone else have this problem, or am I an outlyer? :confuse:
    I listen to talk radio too, lots of AM on my commute. I think it sounds like it's all coming from the center speakers in the dash, rather than the door speakers. I have the version with Infinity Speakers, and theyr'e not nearly as good as the Bose speakers in my GMC truck. XM Radio and CD's sound somewhat better, but I'm still so disappointed about not having an aux in for the iPod.
    Answering my own questions, for everybody to know :)

The MP3 playback is not perfect, but OK.
    The system does support folders, but makes them flat, meaning that you will not know if a sub-folder is inside another folder.
    There are two lines of names on the display, one is for disc (folder) name, the other is for file name.
    The display will not show complete folder names, which is normally the Artist-Album. It will not scroll through folder names either. It considers a folder with MP3 files to be a disc, and has very few non-scrollable characters for its name to show. I wish I could scroll through disc names when they are long, but I can't.
    The display does show complete file names and can scroll through them. You have to press the Info button to do the scrolling.
    The system does not seem to read ID3 tags, just the file names.
    The system does recognize international characters, but makes mistakes. For example, it shows N instead of Russian I, which is inverse N.
    The system makes noticeable audio gaps (about 2 seconds) between files. This is a little annoying sometimes.

Other than that, the Infinity system (at least the one with RSE) is quite good. The bass is neither boomy nor overpowering, but plenty with the right recording. The highs are crisp and clean, but not harsh. Midrange is very defined and clean as well. Overall, the system is very well balanced, it's one of the best stock car audio systems that I've heard.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    My Limited 08 which I just got last Saturday gets the best AM reception out of any AM radio I have ever had. There are areas on my daily commute where electrical noise will drown out the AM, but on my VC I can still hear quite clearly what they are saying, and the electrical noise is muted and barely noticeable. Huge improvement over some others. Sound quality is so much better than any other system I have had, even compared to some aftermarkets I had installed with the only exception being the chest pounding bass. This is expected of any factory unit to not pound my chest with bass, but at least this one has some potential. I have the RSE Infinity system and it sounds great. I haven't tried the CD's yet, but XM is totally awesome.
  • wailbalwailbal Member Posts: 1
    The Middle East version Veracruz comes with a touch screen, along with NAV, DVD, TV, BT phone and AUX. Mainly the TV and DVD will not show while the vehicle is in move, but not any more.
    Ok, I know this may be dangerous while driving. But when the front passenger seat is occupied, without this, he/she will be unhappy. For the other passengers I got a roof flip DVD for them.
    Here is the video to proof it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXby_e-e-xs
    You may wonder how this been done. There is a cable from the car computer sending signal of the vehicle speed and it is attached to the front screen, when the vehicle moves the screen shuts down. Simply unplug the cable.
    To get into details, I just went to the dealer, talked to the electrician there to make it as “an outside deal” knowing that he done it for several Azeras before. While the car was is maintenance, he just accomplish it, nice and clean.
    Thought to share this with you guys.
    See my last post on this. #28.
    I think the AM antenna is the wire wrapped around the roof mounted 6 to 8 inch antenna.
    My radio on AM gets VERY poor reception.
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I have the GLS with premium package as well. I have the same opinion of the sound quality of the AM and XM, particularly for talk radio. It sounds like it's coming out of a tin can and XM has kind of a weird reverb to it. Metallic sounding is a good description. Music and FM are great, as are CD's. I just wish they'd come out with some sort of integrated aftermarket Bluetooth. Even the GLS Sonata has that for '08
    I'm wondering why Hyundai chose to put such crappy headphones for the rear entertainment system. They are utter piece of garbage. No high frequencies whatsoever, the cutoff is probably around 5-6KHz. I know I cannot do anything about it and it's kind of rhetoric question, but Hyundai should be ashamed.
  • amilivamiliv Member Posts: 23
    I've read that Audio Jack in Veracruz is implemented using an FM modulator. So I could just use my old $20 FM modulator that has much more features than what Hyundai sells anyhow.

However, I was wondering does anybody know if there's real line-in hidden somewhere on the back of the radio by any chance? I have a spare iPhone/iPod dock with line-out, and if it was possible to plug it into real AUX connector (not the one simulated via FM modulator), it would be great...
    Why would Hyundai develop a FM modulator aux jack if there was already an open input in the back of the radio? :confuse:
    I can't imagine there is an open input in the back of the unit, otherwise why make and sell the FM Modulator Unit? In my experience, the dealers don't know what they have and don't have. My dealer was not conversant about this subject at all, and the service manager suggested I keep the $200 FM Modulator that doesn't work in my area for the times when I might travel out of state and there would not be a strong radio station on that frequency. Duh!

Maybe a good car audio store can tell about the input. I have the unit in the Veracruz that has Infinity Speakers (not sure who made the radio/stereo/MP3player unit, otherwise could contact the manufacturer).

C'mon Hyundai. Even the Ford Focus has one. Isn't this your luxury line??
    Actually, my question should have been "does the radio that comes with basic SE trim (no options) has the real line-in connectors in the back".

There's several different radios in different versions of Veracruz. If not all of them have real line-in, it's probably simplest thing for Hyundai to only sell the FM based AUX jack ("one size fits all" philosophy).
    If there were an AUX input, there would have been a way to switch to it from the front panel like to any other source (FM, CD). But there is no such option in the menus, right?
    I spoke with a friend who works in Hyundai's Parts department, and he said that there is no spare input. The 2007/2008MY radios have a back input, but it is used by the XM receiver (a separate receiver from the AM/FM one). And if you were thinking (like me) that you simply pull out the XM wires and plug in aux jack ones, the plug is proprietary to Hyundai. If you're an electrical engineer you could work out something, but not if you are a regular car audio installer. This applies to all the Veracruz radios and Santa Fe's as well. Sorry. :cry:
    Thanks for the info oscar. I'm disappointed but it saves me chasing around to find out. I appreciate it.
    I would guess the proprietary cable is used for communication between radio and XM receiver (it sounds as if XM receiver is controlled by the radio). So in theory, one could cut the wires and reroute to AUX jack if the audio lines are analog (if they are digital, no luck). If one could figure out which wires inside the cable are used for analog audio (again, if there is analog audio in that connector to begin with). Though, I probably wouldn't play with that. There's a risk to fry either radio, or XM receiver, or both by mis-wiring something. Considering that good digital FM transmitter that can be set to any FM frequency is around $20-40, it's not worth the risk.
    If you set up an account for hmaservice.com, you can look at the Veracruz radio wiring setup. It's too complicated for me :confuse: , but maybe someone else could make use of it. I found it under SHOP/VERACRUZ (EN)/2007/BODY ELECTRICAL SYSTEM/AUDIO/AUDIO UNIT/COMPONENTS. I don't see the 4 XM wires called out, and the connector out of the XM box has 16 pins. It also uses a CAN bus, so I think the chance of a lay person figuring out anything except for speaker wiring is close to nil. :(