Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Pilot Off Road?

ipss5000ipss5000 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2016 in Honda
I'm thinking of taking my Honda Pilot out fishing. I've been on the beach before with a true 4x4 and have had no problems. I understand the Pilot will stay in 4WD under 18 MPH (which is faster than I plan on driving). Is this type of "off roading" not recommended for the Pilot's "4WD."

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    On the sand you it shouldn't be any different from a true 4x4. The 4WD stays locked only until 18MPG, but it kicks in if the wheel slips even at higher speeds so the four wheel will probably engage when you need it.

If you plan to do the rubicon trail, I would stop by the jeep dealership on the way and trade it for a wrangler rubicon.
  • Options
    birdog3birdog3 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone taken there Pilot on the beach. How does the 4wd work on the beach. I go to outer banks often and would like to know if this would be a good SUV to drive on the beach?
  • Options
    dsungdsung Member Posts: 1
    Took our 2006 Pilot AWD to Oceano Dunes earlier this month.
    http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=406
    Driving and maneuvering on the beach was very easy. Saw many 2WD cars/vans getting stuck. Carry your shovel and tow ropes just in case.
  • Options
    ed111ed111 Member Posts: 22
    Can anyone comment on the prospects for the 2009 Pilot on beach sand?

I understand that with a dashboard button, all 4 wheels can be locked up, so I am guessing that the 2009 Pilot would be OK on sand.
  • Options
    spacedogspacedog Member Posts: 8
    A pilot will work just fine on the beach as long as you deflate your tires to under 10 psi. If you don't...you are asking for trouble.
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    The 4-Wheel lock will disengage automatically about 15 mph or something like that. The VTM system in the pilot is not designed to work as a full time 4x4 system.
  • Options
    spartafishspartafish Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Pilot and have taken it on the Beach at Island Beach State park NJ three days in a row. The Pilot worked FLAWLESSLY on the beach. I saw a few other Pilots as well as the Ridgeline on the beach. Lower the PSI to 15lbs and keep it under 18 miles an hour and you will be fine. Happy driving on the beach!!! It is a BLAST!!!! Also make sure you are in 1st or 2 gear and engage the VTM-4.
  • Options
    odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    edited February 2012
    I've gone on the beach a few times down at Chincoteague / Assateague Island. I have more fun taking my Pilot up to Rausch Creek and having a total blast playing up there. I've gone up and down 2nd, Blue, Peters mountains so many times I've lost count. As long as you know what your doing you should be fine, but always expect the unexpected and carry gear to help yourself out if you do get into trouble.

Odie

_______ooooo
    /__l__l_,\____\,___
    l_---l__l__l---( )lllllll( )
    _.(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)
  • Options
    My daughter and I decided to have some fun yesterday since there was no football on. Check out the short 18 min vid I shot from my vehicle cam.

Off Road Video

Odie
  • Options
    bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    I liked the video. Especially since this was taken in my neck of the woods, approx an hour southwest of there. I haven't driven our 2012 in much if any snow yet this mild PA winter, but this encourages me for the future experiences. I'm just wondering about driving through mud and ruts up to a foot deep. With my former SUV, a very rugged 4x4 with off road tires, I'd pull my road trailler through a LOT of deep snow and mud. Hope this Pilot does likewise.
  • Options
    As long as you know what your doing and have the right equipment with you, you will be fine. I got the Hidden Hitch Winch Mount and it connect right to the rear hitch receiver. This way if I was to ever get into something I couldn't get through, I can be pulled backward out of a situation.

Hidden Hitch Winch Mount

Odie
  • Options
    I am extremely happy if have the Off-road gear for "The Beast". This past weekend (Aug 24-26th) we were in Chincoteague, Va. Not only did we have a blast out on the OSV section on Assateague Island, but got massivly flooded on Sat. We were out driving around as the heavy rains where falling and went out to the beach area. As we were coming back off of Assateague into Chinoteague we ran into the heavier stuff. Putting it lightly I'm glad I have the snorkel kit, ballast tank, and cabin pressure system for deep water because my headlights were under water for a majority of the drive down Maddox to Main St. Twice I had wake from larger trucks going opposite direction come up over the hood and roll up the windshield. "The Beast" handed everything perfectly.

Odie
  • Options
    ganseg1ganseg1 Member Posts: 1
    If you would have to be pulled from the front, what would you attach a strap to?