Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Steering and Suspension Problems

13»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well real life is different. I can absolutely leave an Echo in the dust. There must be 1.0 to 1.5 seconds difference. I think the real numbers should be about 8.5 for a manual xA and about 10 for an Echo...that seems about right.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    So the magazines are making it up? Sure the gearing would help the 0-5 mph start but the weight would be a real downer from 5-60 assuming you had the Echo in the correct lower gear than the xA. The automatics would probably be about even because the shift points are somewhat forced on you.

Of course, if real life means how a typical xA is driven versus the typical Echo, then I agree. The xA begs to be driven at high rpm while the Echo begs to be driven easy. If the Echo is driven hard though, it will no doubt be faster.

My experience is the gearing of a car like the xA makes it feel like it is going faster, but the real world numbers tell otherwise.
    No, no, they didn't make it up, that particular just got it wrong I think for the "norm". They tested one car one day is all.

The xA is about 1 second faster 0-60 would be my best guess and from what I've read. Figure 9.5 for the Echo and 8.5 for the xA and I bet you'd be right on the money 9 of 10 times.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :P Your results may vary.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    mag reviews put the Echo's 0-60 at 8.5-9 seconds. Edmunds' quoted figure, however, is 9.5 secs. It seems the new Yaris does about a half second slower (Edmunds has the automatic at 10.8 secs, no test of a manual. :-().

It is easy to believe the xA is significantly faster, as it is 10% less fuel-efficient and has the Echo's engine. The xA is more geared to rev than the lazy-engined Echo. The Echo will go quickly if you push it (I have fun doing that sometimes), but feels like it has taller gears (my seat of the pants impression having driven the xA a bunch of times).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Why don't we compare RPMs at 60 mph? Let me know what your tach says (you have a tach, don't you? :P )
    Oh ha ha! :mad:

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Well don't be too quick on the draw about that...try them both.
  • jdgriswaldjdgriswald Member Posts: 11
    If we had the chance to compare them apples to apples that would have been great....thanks Toyota. The closest equivalent would be the Yaris RS 5-door available in Canada, which compared to the xA does win hands down. xA sales would have dried up if they had brought it to the States. The xD is essentially the Yaris interior except instrument cluster.
    Toyota missing it's market again...aiming at the youth, and getting the boomers. If they weren't so interested in upselling the boomers to the Camry or Highlander, they might sell some small cars if they were accessorized like those sold in Europe.
  • redbug68redbug68 Member Posts: 1
    I think a camber compensator is what you need.
    here is a link to cip1, they have loads of vw stuff.
    link title
  • shellmarketershellmarketer Member Posts: 1
    I have a March 2003 VW New Beetle GLS with 31000 miles. The Power Steering was not working, so I put in more Power Steering fluid and it leaks out of bottom of car. Repair shop the seals on both sides of the steering gear (Rack and Pinion Steering>) have failed and it will be a $1400 repair. Supposedly fornow the power steering pump still seems ok. Is this a common failure????

As I am beyond 4 year 50000 new Vehicle Limited Warranty, but with 5 year 60000 mile Limited Powertrain Warranty.

Can anyone advise if I have a strong case to argue this is covered by VW??????.

In advance, thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    As the steering system isn't part of the powertrain I'd have a hard time seeing the powertrain warranty covering anything.

Not sure that those seals are wear an tear items which I think are only covered for the first 12 months of the new vehicle warranty.

Ah the joys of car ownership.
  • yi5hedr3yi5hedr3 Member Posts: 20
    A corolla with 64k miles is just getting broke in!!!!!!!! :D
  • yi5hedr3yi5hedr3 Member Posts: 20
    Let's see...400 miles on 5.5 gallons of gas....that would be 72 miles per gallon.....hmmmm....I :confuse: somehow think this is not right.....
  • timsstimss Member Posts: 1
    I recently had some ball joints (upper and lower) and a new stabilizer kit installed on my '69 beetle. Steering worked fine beforehand except for some play in the wheel. After the install, the car doesn't self-correct after making a corner. The mechanic tells me that the new ball joints are tight and need some time to "break in". Have never heard of this type of problem after installing ball joints, but haven't had to deal with BJs in many years.
    Is this normal or should I be looking for some other cause?
  • chericarterchericarter Member Posts: 1
    I just got 4 new tires for my 2002 Turble S Beetle - Mastercraft Touring LSR P225/45R17 and an alignment for the total cost of $642.74. I was told that because the camber is still out (1.2 and 0.2 on the front and 1.9 and 1.1 on the rear) that I will now need to pay another $300 to get an aftermarket product to be able to fully align the camber. He said that VW doesn't provide the means to adjust the camber to where it should be. Are you serious? That would be almost $1000 for 4 tires! I didn't get it done, but he has assured me that the life span of my 80,000 mile tires will now be much much less. Help!!!
    Did you go to aftermarket wheels? Just wondering because you said you got tires and an alignment. If the camber is still out, then what did you pay for? Or was the camber still out because of different wheels and now you need something to allow the camber to be adjusted? Just trying to figure out why you have an uncorrected alignment issue.

He IS right that if your alignment is out of whack it WILL eat up your tires in some way.
  • melshoutmelshout Member Posts: 1
    I've got an old Gazelle replica built off a VW chassis with all it's components. The problem is, it's been sitting in storage for about 10 years and I can't locate the key. Would it be easier to bypass the ignition key and switch and just install a push button to start? If so, how do I drill out the steering lock? Any help will be appreciated.
  • ellenbettyellenbetty Member Posts: 7
    Since the Toyota Yaris is still in production, plus a 5 door liftback added this year to the Toyota Yaris line this year, the xA lost.
    Yes but I don't think the "victory" is a good one. The xA was nicer looking and way more practical IMO.
  • lenmikelcooklenmikelcook Member Posts: 1
    2005 New Beetle, 55,000 miles. Put new tires on rear 5 months ago, 5,000 miles on them and insides of both tires completely worn. Can not adjust rear wheels. Dealer says axle is bent. We bought car new, no accidents, no major trauma. Does not sound right to me. Any similar problems out there?
  • mandy10mandy10 Member Posts: 1
    lenmikelcook - I have an 05 New Beetle, only 45,000 miles and am experiencing the same problem. While driving to work, I caught a curb which didnt seem like a big deal. I thought it would just be the allignment. However, when I took it to get the alignment adjusted, they told me I had bent the axle and it would need to be replaced. Hello $1,400. However, what I thought was interesting is that the dealerships keep these axles in stock all the time. Apparently it is a very common problem and easy to do (It was just a curb). Perhaps it was just a matter of hitting one to many potholes? Either way, just know that it is very common with VWs.
    "Just" a curb? You biff a curb and something IS going to bend and generally going to be a big deal on any vehicle. And as far as dealers keeping axles in stock, that may have more to do with the number of distracted drivers on the road than a "problem" with a vehicle. Here's a photo of a short stretch of road in my neck of the woods. See that bike lane that disappears on the right side of the road? The curb there is painted bright yellow, there are reflective posts, there's that white line marking the edge of the lane, and I've still personally seen three vehicles drive straight into that curb. And there are new marks on it almost as soon as they repaint it.

• nomoluv4trunomoluv4tru Member Posts: 1
    OK.. I have a 68 bug with camber issues on the both front tires.. I haven't really worked on bugs so i don't know whats all involved with the suspension on these.. is it just as easy as adjusting to toe in/out? :confuse:
    It's kinda hard to argue the practicality between a Yaris 5-door and an xA, no? Wouldn't it be the same for all intents?

Don't like the xD much myself.....

Yeah pretty much now but not always.
  • larsenlarsen Member Posts: 3
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    the Scion xA wins hands down over it's replacement the Scion xD. I have done enough research on the Scion xA and test-driven it to know that I would be way happier with an xA than a xD.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• lolanzilolanzi Member Posts: 1
    VW Beetle 2013 i was about to turn so i slowed down. And wheel was logged i couldnt move i was right in the middle of road
    engine was working, gear stick was shuffling, yellow battery sign appeared. i tried couple of times to restart, than i waited 2 min it worked. i have to drive the car, i cant take it to service so do you think could be happen again? also for service i have to drive almost 40 miles on freeway. i just bought from a dealership previous owner was rental company
  • helshels Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my VW Beetle 2005 1.9TDi only yesterday. I was turning right and had slowed down and started to turn and my steering locked and the engine was running, the red battery sign appeared. I slowly continued on into the turn and braked at the kerb as I could not steer. There was someone behind me who managed to avoid hitting me. I then restarted the engine and it has been fine since then and I have travelled 40 miles in it so far being very careful when turning corners. I am worried it will happen again.