Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Odyssey

rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
edited September 2014 in Honda
Not a whole lot of info for now but it's a start. A new front end will be on the 08 Odyssey. Rear end has some changes. Hope this helps.

Here are some changes.

1. VCM (cylinder deactivation) standard
2. Bluetooth as Accessory option
3. PAX runflat Tires optional on Touring.
4. New front and Rear end.

Comments

• sharondasharonda Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this info is already out there. Is there any timeframe on when we can expect to see 2008 Odyssey's on the dealer's lots? I've been test driving minivans for a few weeks and haven't seen 2008 Odyssey's yet.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    September seems to be the most likely date when the 08s will start appearing.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Hi sharonda,

September is likely but if you want Navigation you will have to wait a month after that. PAX is now optional on Touring models. Now if you wanted a touring but didn't want PAX tires now you have that option. Now more places are servicing pax tires so it's not that bad. Plus Michelin can overnight pax tires if needed.
  • spicymikeyspicymikey Member Posts: 100
    Bluetooth? That's great. I really need that.

You say this with such authority. Where are you getting your info? Any word on Adaptive Cruise for the Touring Edition like the Sienna XLE Limited?
  • bamaptbamapt Member Posts: 25
    Is this all of the changes expected? Just wondering and when do they officially announce these things. I know they aren't supposed to hit the lots until Sept or so, but I didn't know if maybe they announce changes sooner. I have an '05 that and we are thinking about selling and getting either an '07 or '08 depending on pricing and possible changes to the '08. I'd love to see the power liftgate on the EXL but I doubt thats in the works. Based on the above mentioned, I don't think it would be worth the wait, especially if I can get a good deal on a 2007
  • sd_dadsd_dad Member Posts: 34
    We have two boys in carseats and are about to have a girl in September. It seems that a minivan is really the only way to do three carseats at the same time. My wife is disappointed to give up her 2004 Acura MDX, but the third row just doesn't seem practical with two carseats in the second row. We're pretty much set on the Odyssey, but there are few concerns we have, that hopefully will be resolved by the 08. If anyone has insight I'd love to hear them.

First, the PAX tire system. I seem to recall the Edmunds review saying that the system adds more road noise, which I can't stand. Add to that the additional cost and difficulty of maintaining/replacing PAX tires, and the advantage seems minimal. PAX becoming optional on the Touring seems to help with this.

Second, and what appears to be the bigger dilemma, is that that the only model on which you can get memory driver seats is the Touring model (which is fine because my wife wants another "loaded" car anyway), but then you lose the second-row jumpseat thingy that comes with the EX-L (which you can't get the memory seats on). Memory seats are deal-breaker, as my wife is 5'3" and I'm 6'5". She drives all week, I drive all weekend. Any indication about whether the 08 will offer memory seats on trim levels "lower" than Touring? Or, is there a way to do the jumpseat thingy in the Touring? I understand on the Touring the jumpseat thingy is replaced with a console.

Pricing looks good on the 07s (couple hundred over invoice), so hopefully that won't change much for the 08s.

Thanks for you input.
    I get my info at vtec.net. There was a comment to an article that mentioned these things. The only front end change is a grille that looks like the 08 accord. The rear end only has slightly different taillamps. Hope this helps.
    Navi could very well be standard on the Touring. So now the Touring will have navi and RES. Embargo is August 21st. Then we will know for sure.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Memory seats are a deal-breaker....

Isn't it amazing what we've come to expect? There's no chance that memory seats will be offered on anything except Tourings.

With three kids you'll want to remove the console anyone so one of them can easily get to the third seat.

PAX doesn't add more road noise but my Touring does ride firmer than my dad's EX-L.

Only you can balance the hassle of PAX with the piece of mind it offers. To me, it's a question of when I want to experience inconvenience. And it's not out on the interstate amid screaming traffic.
  • vkuttyvkutty Member Posts: 25
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum I don’t know the same message is already there! I need to buy an odyssey and I am looking 08 because I heard that 08 model comes with 4 wheel drive I am not sure? Is anyone knows about 4 wheel drive?

Thanks
    My bets are no because Honda would say that if you want 4WD, then take a look at this Pilot over here...
    The interactive network findings say no AWD. You have to buy a pilot if you want that. Or even a Sienna which is a nice van btw. I will post the colors too.

Models:
    RL3828EW Odyssey LX
    RL3848EW Odyssey EX
    RL3868JW Odyssey EX-L
    RL3878JW Odyssey EX-L RES
    RL3878KW Odyssey EX-L R&N
    RL3888KW Odyssey Tour PAX
    RL3898KW Odyssey Tour

Colors:
    Mocha Metallic
    Baltic Blue Pearl
    Nimbus Gray Metallic
    Nighthawk Black Pearl
    Dark Cherry Pearl
    Silver Pearl Metallic
    Taffeta White
    Ocean Mist Metallic
    Slate Green Metallic

Hope this helps.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121555

Enjoy this until August 21st. Then the real fun begins.
    also the embargo date for the '08 Accord?
    Of course. There are exceptions. S2000 CR is 8/15. Pilot and Ridgeline are already out so no august Embargo. The Civic, CR-V, Odyssey, Element, and Accord will be August 21st.
    Some official info from honda. Touring has standard navi and dvd player. Bluetooth will be available only on touring. PAX is optional on touring. aux input will be standard. The headunit can now play MP3/WMA. Touring has memory linked doors. VCM only available on EX-L models. Some more features but I will wait for edmunds and honda to release info. Front end is 05 and up odyssey but they made the grille like the 08 accord.
  • franklingt3franklingt3 Member Posts: 17
    http://automobiles.honda.com/2008-odyssey

Teaser site of the new Odyssey. A good improvement over the standard odyssey. The 08 Accord grille works great for the odyssey.
  • angelchicagoangelchicago Member Posts: 38
    I am in the market for a new Odyssey and have been debating on whether to get a 2007 or 2008. I have been scrubbing the internet hard (almost in an addictive fashion) to get specifics on the 2008 Odyssey to help me reach a decision. I found this info today on another website so I thought I would post it. If this data is true I pretty much have decided to get the 2008 vs 2007 despite any cost savings for 2007 models. Reason being is I feel the resale value and the combined value of new features being introduce outweigh the cost savings I would give up in getting an 07 model.

2008 Honda Odyssey
    The versatile and popular Honda Odyssey’s sales continue to grow, and it receives significant updates in 2008 with exterior and interior styling enhancements, feature refinement and implementation of an upgraded Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) engine on leather models.

Odyssey (all) Exterior and interior design enhancements
    MP3/Auxiliary input jack
    MP3/Windows Media® Audio (WMA) playback capability
    Active head restraints
    Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Odyssey EX 2nd-Row PlusOne Seat™ with storage bin
    Tri-zone automatic climate control

Odyssey EX-L Next generation of Honda’s VCM® engine technology
    Rearview mirror with monitor (and backup camera)
    XM® Satellite Radio
    Power adjustable passenger seat
    2nd-Row PlusOne Seat™ with storage bin

Odyssey EX-L RES Next generation of Honda’s VCM® engine technology
    115-volt power outlet
    XM® Satellite Radio

Odyssey EX-L Navi/RES Next generation of Honda’s VCM® engine technology
    115-volt power outlet

Odyssey Touring Navi/RES (08M TOURING now available in only Navi/Res trim with a PAX tire option)
    Next generation of Honda’s VCM® engine technology
    Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink®
    Memory Linked Door Mirrors with Reverse Tilt
  • hieraxhierax Member Posts: 9
    Interesting info. - we are currently debating the 07 vs 08 tradeoff - and it will probably come down to price and I'll go with the dealer incentives.

Although, the MP3 jack in the front, XM standard , and the rear view backup mirror would be very nice....

I'd be interested to read more about the backup mirror as this is something my wife really wants.

However with an EX-L w/ RES 07 price of around 27500 my guess is the 08 will come a good deal higher due to no incentives, and the standard 'new model year markup and "demand" '.
  • djs3djs3 Member Posts: 7
    I thought additional information on the 2008 Odyssey was supposed to be made available by Honda on August 21st. I haven't seen anything new. Does anyone know when it be made available?

Thanks,
    The info on post 20 was released on the 21st. Not until september. Navi isn't going to come until October.
    It's a MMC vehicle meaning minor model change. You can still get discounts on Minor Model change vehicles. It's not going to be all that new trust me.
  • audiophile1audiophile1 Member Posts: 2
    Will the Odyssey finally have 5.1 Surround Sound? Watching a movie just doesn't cut it compared to my neighbor's Sienna. I love everything else. Aside from poor audio quality there's really nothing else on the market that compares to the Honda.
    I'm not sure on it. Maybe there will be an enhanced premium audio system. Touring has the best sound system btw.
  • audiophile1audiophile1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. The new Town and Country will have surround audio. It is probably too much to ask for a mid-model upgrade to improve upon speaker sound quality/quantity and amplifier capability. Tooling changes to add the new content would have been expensive. I guess we'll have to look forward to it at the full model change in 2010. I can wait.

I'll go aftermarket JBL to solve the current Odyssey's shortcomings. A new amp and some surrounds hign in the D-Pillars should create 5.1 audio, but I may have to change out all the speakers in order to reach a higher level clarity.
  • tnguyen74tnguyen74 Member Posts: 65
    Here are some outside pics.

http://www.hondapreview.com/odyssey/
  • cdoobiestcdoobiest Member Posts: 16
    Wondering if anyone knows what 08 MRSP will be. I was reading Toyota Sienna Forums and saw the 08 MRSP dropped in price making the 08 a little more appealing even after all the rebates?
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    The hondapreview.com website mentioned the complete redesign for 2010; however, the last generation was with us for 6 years(99-04). Does anyone know if the redesign is due in 2010 (5 years) or 2011(6 years).
    Expect this car to debut in October. Navi and DVD are standard on touring. A bluetooth kit will be available. However it wont mute the stereo. The navi kit probably will have that feature. The Touring's bluetooth should do that also. Nice that PAX is optional.
  • johnc06johnc06 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday (Sep 15) I had a test drive in the new Town & Country, as I own an '05 model and wanted to see what the new one was like. First of all, I couldn't get the driver's seat as high up as in my own one. My wife noticed that there didn't seem to be as much room inside, later confirmed by comparing the kneeroom, headroom etc specs online. The engine sounded rough, despite having the new 6-speed gearbox. And why have Chrysler decided to keep the stupid audio controls on the back of the steering wheel where you can't see them? I wasn't impressed by the swivel-n-go seats this demonstrator had. If the seats are turned, the driver and front passenger seats can't be moved right back, and I need the driver's seat moved right back. That would be a waste of money for me.
    After the drive, I went to the Honda dealership 2 minutes drive away. I looked at an '07 Odyssey, and the salesman asked me if I wanted a test drive. I said okay. Where can we take it? Anywhere you want! he said. The Chrysler salesman said I could only drive round the block, which lasted no more than five minutes, then he expected an order to be placed. I don't think so.
    The Honda guy let me choose my own test route. Let me tell you, if anybody out there is considering a new T&C, check out the Odyssey first. This was the Touring model, and had a bigger engine than the T&C. And it showed. This Odyssey was so nice to drive. The seats were more comfortable, it was smoother, felt better built. It was night and day. I was so glad to drive these cars back to back. Now I'm waiting for the '08 model to come in so I can buy one of those. My wife likes the Odyssey better too. We're going to fight over who gets to drive the Honda and who gets stuck with the old T&C....
    This is going to be a pretty low key MMC (Minor Model Change). Just a facelift to the front and rear. Some changes include a VCM system identical to the 08 accord. Bluetooth, a cool camera system for non navi cars, and some other minor details. Honda felt the odyssey was good enough and a major MMC wasn't needed. The 2010 or 2011 Oddyssey will be major.
    Looking for Touring non-PAX (will non-PAX be significantly less than with?)
    sd_dad,

You shouldn't have to wait that long. No idea on pricing. This van will debut within a month or so. Honda just launched an 08 Accord so they don't want to launch too many products at once. It's a low key MMC so don't expect too much other than the features listed below. The info has been leaked except hp numbers but thats fine until the launch.
    Thanks rv65. We had our third kid last week (all three in car seats), so we're antsy to replace an SUV with an Oddy. Planned on an '07, but the optional PAX and addition of that second-row jumpseat to the Touring ( who knows why it wasn't available on Touring before) made it seem worth the wait.
    Pricing should be identical to the 07. Maybe a slight raise in price but thats expected.
  • ordvanordvan Member Posts: 2
    I just had one dealer email me asking if I wanted to put a deposit on the 08 Touring for October arrival and another dealer that has been quoting me for a 2007 offer to quote an 08 that would be here in October. Has anyone else been able to obtain a quote? I told the salesperson that I did not realize that 08 pricing was available....he said that is because Honda is still sending them 2007s. Maybe there is just too much supply right now?????
    I suppose build out is soon. Build out is the final allocations. The 08 Odyssey is an October debut. Remember the 08 Accord came out so they don't want the Odyssey to steal it's shine. The 08 Accord is a major launch for Honda.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Does the 2nd row seats in the Odys still slide together to form a bench???
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    They do in my '06.
    http://www.hondanews.com/categories/939/releases/4262
    http://www.hondanews.com/categories/906/releases/4261
    http://www.hondanews.com/categories/909/photos

Now it's an official model now. 2nd link is the features and specs. Sorry for the EX-L and touring hp drop. It's probaly the 2nd gen VCM system.
  • mary36mary36 Member Posts: 52
    I'm drooling now...

... would LOVE to have an 08 Touring, NON Pax, R and N. And I still get a Plus One seat?! Finally, Honda listened.

How much would one of these cost though? Any prices out yet?

We're debating between an 08 or a leftover 07 EX-L R and N.
    Best quote I got was $29,587 + TTL.

But I would LOVE to have the power lift gate on the Touring, the audible sensors on the bumpers and plug outlet in the back (would come in handy camping). :) But if we got an 07 Touring, we wouldn't get the Plus One seat and would be stuck with PAX tires (unless we switched them out).
    Thanks for the info rv65. Any word on pricing yet? I'm interested in Touring w/o PAX. Was going to get the '07 but was enticed by addition of PlusOne seat, no PAX, and memory-linked side mirrors--all small things, but taken together should make the '08 Touring a real improvement.
    No prices yet. Maybe in October when this thing goes on sale or next week. Honda should have the prices up with in 2 weeks maybe 3. Pricing should be identical but touring could go up due to standard navi and dvd player.
    Read the post above this one by me. That should give info. Honda will get the pricing info when the vehicle goes on sale. The 08 Odyssey is in production as of now I believe.
    sd_dad,

Well there wasn't an 8 passenger touring because there was a lazy susan storage bin. As for PAX well Honda felt it would be a nice feature. Honda wanted to add runflats like the Sienna so maybe it's to compete with Toyota.
    How much less do you suppose the non-PAX be than the PAX Touring?
  • donkeypunch1donkeypunch1 Member Posts: 119
    Anyone know whether or not black interior will be offered on the 2008 EXLs? For the 07's its only offered on the Touring. Thx.
    Well when honda starts listing it then I can find out which combo. But I think there will be a black interior. Maybe the EX-L will get it. But I'm not sure.
  • faxthatfaxthat Member Posts: 9
    I heard from a reputable Honda source that Touring w/o PAX is not an option for 2008. Anyone else hearing the same? It's a bummer, I know, but at least it would make my purchase decision easier.
This discussion has been closed.