Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible

vinson09vinson09 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
As the title says, I am curious about a certain accessory for the 97' Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible LS. This accessory being a One Piece Top Boot? I believe that's what it's called. I've looked around online, from site to site to even Ebay and all I see are either One Piece Top Boot's for other kinds of Vehicles or none at all. So if anyone could help me, that would be wonderful. I just got it as a 21st birthday present and I was curious as to where I Could get a One Piece Top Boot. I know little about Cars, my father is the one that set me up with it and said that a 'Black One Piece Top Boot' is what I need for it. To cover it up for when I have the roof down.

Any links of sites that are selling them or perhaps anyone that knows any stores that would sell them would also help. Just seems hard to find them.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I just saw this forum and figured I'd at least give it a shot at posting.

Comments

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Maybe it's three pieces? In Full Test: 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Convertible the Edmunds editor mentions a three-piece boot that sounds like it does what you want.

That article isn't going to help you find it, but if it really is three pieces you can probably create better searches for it.

Good luck!
  • Options
    96cavragtop96cavragtop Member Posts: 2
    As I'm guessing you've found out by now since your post was in July, its actually a 3 piece boot. There's a soft vinyl center piece that should be attached to the back of the rear seat (pull it down to find it). The two plastic side pieces covered in vinly to match the center piece go on first, insert the forward plastic tongue of the side piece into the holes near the rear windows and snapping the vinly flap into place on the side panels in the rear seat compartment, then loop the elastic strap over the pins on the rear lip of the top compartment (need the trunk open). Then the center piece is pulled over the the two side pieces secured over the pins on the rear lip using the snap/buttons on the corners of the center piece. Shut the trunk, put the rear seat back up and you're ready to go. The whole opperation takes about 3 minutes but keeps a lot of dust and dirt from collecting in the headliner of the top. I'm on my second 96 convertible as my first was totalled (ran like a top with over 200K miles before its untimely demise). Good luck,enjoy.
  • Options
    96cavragtop96cavragtop Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone (any amature) successfully installed a new converitible top on their cavalier (96 or later)? What resources (books, manuals, websites) did you use and how difficult a process was it. Also, where did you purchase your new top? What are the best places to look. I need to completely replace the top including the rear window as well as the headliner.

Thanks.
  • Options
    woobegonewoobegone Member Posts: 21
    Yes! Just last October my son, nephews and I installed a new vinyl top with glass rear window on my son's 1996 Pontiac Sunfire (exact same top as Cavalier). None of us had ever done it before, so we were slow and cautious but still did it in about 8 hours. I had my doubts about messing around with a $438 top but it turned out great! Saved him a lot of money (about $400 to $500) in installation costs. After much research, he bought it from ConvertibleTopGuys on the web. They delivered everything that was promised and quickly. Make sure to read the instruction manual BEFORE you start pulling the old top off (as it says in the manual) so you're comfortable that you can do it. I recommend having at least one other person to help -- we were four and it worked pretty well. I recommend the whole package, including the tack strips, cables and pads, as it's well worth the money. His Sunfire looks great now! BTW, I have a 2000 Z24 convertible and it's a great car, despite all the naysayers. It's had some mechanical issues but nothing out of the ordinary for 90,000+ miles. And I regularly get 29 to 30 MPG, which beats most other convertibles that can hold more than two bodies. Good luck!
  • Options
    chris_fridaychris_friday Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. I owned a 96 Pontiac Sunfire Convertible SE (basically the same car as yours) and still have the convertible boot. The boot is two pieces...one for each side. It looks nice on the car when the top is down. Let me know if you are interested in this. Thanks. Chris
  • Options
    buddy76buddy76 Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Cavalier has a staling problem when you come to a slow stop, This does not happen all the time. I have replaced the fuel filter for starters. No Help. Does anyone have a similar problem that was resolved and can point me in the right direction. I don't want to start changing parts and dumping money into the car
  • Options
    ronnieduderonniedude Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in the boot , I have a 96 sunfire and need the whole boot. Please contact me
  • Options
    na139na139 Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody assist me in finding production numbers for an 85 cav contver? I have one that is loaded and am interested in how many like it were made that year.
    Thanks
  • Options
    roboshoproboshop Member Posts: 1
    We bought this car in 1995 and love it! :shades: Just had the roof replaced after 14 years (the back glass window was falling out).Has only 120,000 kms. My problem is that recently the roof won't go up/down and the air conditioning/heater won't work. :confuse: Anyone help with this??Thanks
  • Options
    apcavapcav Member Posts: 3
    I recently replaced the alternator on my 2000 z24 and now can't get the belt back on. I have replaced the tensioner also thinking that might be the problem. Still can't get the belt on. All routing diagrams I find online say releace the tensioner by turning in clockwise direction. Mine (old and new) will only turn in the counter clokwise direction. When I put the belt on in the only way I can see possible and have the tensioner released as far as it will go the belt is too short to go on. Has anyone reading this forum ever run into this problem and know a solution?
    Thank you
  • Options
    jmcfaddenjmcfadden Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 cavalier convertible. The top suddenly no longer goes all the way up. It stops half way up and will not go any further. Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.